PDA

View Full Version : If you like great Westerns I got a good one for ya...

baja
01-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Appaloosa

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809942136/info

Dutch
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Appaloosa

Just picked it up at Blockbuster this afternoon...looking forward to it.

Bronco Bob
01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
What about Brokeback Mountain?

Chris
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Brokeback Mountain's a frickin great movie, just not a western.

Los Broncos
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I love the old Lee Van Cleef movies, For a few dollars more was epic.

Los Broncos
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
What about Brokeback Mountain?

All good up to a point.

Lidderer
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
What did all you Western fans think of "Down in the Valley"?, which was a pretty surreal take on someone stuck in the idea that they're in a Western.

baja
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Appaloosa has some of the best dialogue of any movie I have seen in some time and the characters are unique and superbly portrayed.

This film is a real sleeper.

MechanicalBull
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Saw Appaloosa in the movies and thought it was pretty good. I was a little suprised when I first saw Jeremy Irons was casted but as usual he pulled it off and was good.

It also had a good script with some funny lines thrown in every now and then.

Lidderer
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
It was like Harris watched the Jesse James movie and fell in love with all the transitional scenes and decided he'd make a movie with just that...and some pretty broad comedy.

Pick Six
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I read the DVD cover for Appaloosa the other day. It looks good and I'll have to watch it sometime. I had never heard of the movie before the DVD was released...

Spider
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I will Check it out ...last great western I saw was Lonsome Dove , I liked open Range , but Lonesome Dove was better

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Brokeback Mountain's a frickin great movie, just not a western.

I disagree. It was pretty lame on some stereotypes (all people from Wyoming are poor. All people from Texas are trashy) and you didn't see the "love" between the two men behind them meeting every few years to screw each other and the fact that they couldn't commit to their wives. There was nothing redeeming about their relationship that the great love stories, even the tragic ones, engender. I thought the wives were the best actors in the whole move. Ledger was pretty good, but I didn't see anything between the protagonists to create a beautiful redeemable love. In fact the Jake Gyllenhaal's character ends up cheating on Ennis. There wasn't a strong enough antagonist to motivate the storyline, either. The footage is gorgeous with some really epic looking shots, but I need more than pretty landscapes or Attack of the Clones would be 4 stars to me. I just don't get why people liked it. I think a lot of it was hype for it being a "gay" movie.

How about 3:10 to Yuma? There's a western for ya.

Rohirrim
01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Viggo and Ed Harris? Can't miss. I'm going to see that one this weekend. Viggo has done some great films. Check out Eastern Promises if you want to see the scariest film fight of all time. He's also slated to play the father in Ridley Scott's upcoming version of Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Rohirrim
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I will Check it out ...last great western I saw was Lonsome Dove , I liked open Range , but Lonesome Dove was better

Lonesome Dove was the best Western ever. Augustus McRae and Woodrow Call. Doesn't get any better than that. "Hell of a vision." :thumbsup:

Spider
01-19-2009, 02:26 PM

That was good , I normally dont like Western Remakes , but Crowe was good in that ......

Spider
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Lonesome Dove was the best Western ever. Augustus McRae and Woodrow Call. Doesn't get any better than that. "Hell of a vision." :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yeah I can watch that show over and over Augustus was a real Character ..... I never knew the show existed until one day a preacher knocked on my door , he just moved into the neighborhood , and was introducing himself , saw me watching a john Wayne movie , he said i got a western you should watch , be right back , sure enough he came back with Lonesome dove we sat there and watched it ...never talked religion ;D

crawdad
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
A Man Called Horse was one of the best I can remember. I really liked DanceswithWolves as well.

Alkazar
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
:thumbsup: Yeah I can watch that show over and over Augustus was a real Character ..... I never knew the show existed until one day a preacher knocked on my door , he just moved into the neighborhood , and was introducing himself , saw me watching a john Wayne movie , he said i got a western you should watch , be right back , sure enough he came back with Lonesome dove we sat there and watched it ...never talked religion ;D

Hmm, a preacher that don't talk religion? My kinda Preacher!

I figure your fav is gonna depend on your tastes, but I like Unforgiven and Open Range for the best "recent" westerns.

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
My favorite western is High Noon. It's so characteristically un-western. No pretty landscapes. No rolling mountains. It's really a morality play. It also makes me cry every time I watch it. Also, a young Grace Kelly is always a plus. :thumbsup:

orinjkrush
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I thought "Unforgiven" was fabulous. Eastwood said it was one of his favorites.

Spider
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Hmm, a preacher that don't talk religion? My kinda Preacher!

he was a hellva man , I miss the hell out of him , I considered him the best friend I have ever had , but Cancer took him 2 years ago ..........even 2 years later i think about him I shed a tear ......

bronclvr
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
How can you leave out "John Wayne and the Cowboys"? Or, and of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti Westerns? OT, I just went to Gran Torino-if you are an Eastwood fan (and like his sneer) you'll love it-

SoDak Bronco
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
tombstone is my favorite western. I might have to rent this one, it looks pretty good.

crawdad
01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
tombstone is my favorite western. I might have to rent this one, it looks pretty good.

I'll be your Huckleberry

bronclvr
01-19-2009, 02:46 PM

Rep! I know I was forgetting a good one, and that's one of the best :notworthy

jhat01
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
El Dorado is one of my favorites. John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan. Even that crazy dude Arthur Hunnicutt, I think has was in every western during the 60's.

I watched Appaloosa last night, enjoyed it very much.

Ninjatime
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
What if I just like mediocre westerns? Do you have a good one of those? Or is this only a good great western?!

Ninjatime
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Or a great good western? Just marginally below the great westerns, but definately great for a good western?

rugbythug
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Or a great good western? Just marginally below the great westerns, but definately great for a good western?

:thumbs: Sarcasm everyone loves it

jhat01
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
What if I just like mediocre westerns? Do you have a good one of those? Or is this only a good great western?!

look out!

Chris
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Here are some greats:

Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Unforgiven (the anti-western)
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Wild Bunch
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
Dances with Wolves
Stagecoach (old school - pre 60s)
El Topo

I heartily recommend Deadwood to anyone that missed it while it was on.

baja
01-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I read the DVD cover for Appaloosa the other day. It looks good and I'll have to watch it sometime. I had never heard of the movie before the DVD was released...

Same here I rented it on Apple TV. Like I said it's a sleeper IMO

WyoLaw
01-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Right on, great movie!

baja
01-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Viggo and Ed Harris? Can't miss. I'm going to see that one this weekend. Viggo has done some great films. Check out Eastern Promises if you want to see the scariest film fight of all time. He's also slated to play the father in Ridley Scott's upcoming version of Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

I think you will love this on many levels Ro.

It's a Western with depth if you can imagine such a thing.

As in any good film he details are a treat for those that pay attention.

baja
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Unforgiven was a great movie too

I got to get my hands on a copy of "Lonesome Dove" I have never seen it.

24champ
01-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Unforgiven is always going to be #1 for me.

It's such a great film, like all Eastwood films. The ending is the best part of the film.

Of course I like to watch all the spaghetti westerns as well.

baja
01-19-2009, 03:22 PM
I'll be your Huckleberry

"Never ain't here yet" - Harris

baja
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
The best part of this movie is the dialogue.

"We've seen pretty much everything you got Allie no sense hiding it now."

Los Broncos
01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Van_Cleef

I have a bunch of his movies.

ZONA
01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm a huge westerns fan.

My top 5 list and these are all must see movies if you haven't seen them.

1) Tombstone (Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer)
2) My Name Is Nobody (Henry Fonda, Terence Hill)
3) The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson)
4) Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner)
5) The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood)

24champ
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I'll be your Huckleberry

"Why Johnny Ringo...you looked like somebody just walked over your grave"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGpajGj07BU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGpajGj07BU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SouthStndJunkie
01-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Never seen the movie/mini-series....but I have been reading the books.

I have read 'Lonesome Dove', 'Dead Man's Walk', 'Comanche Moon', and am now reading 'Streets of Laredo'.

'Lonesome Dove' is the best of the 4 books....the other ones are decent reads, but they don't quite capture the poignancy of 'Lonesome Dove'.

ZONA
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
"Why Johnny Ringo...you looked like somebody just walked over your grave"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGpajGj07BU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGpajGj07BU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Alright Clanton, you called down the Thunder well now you got it.

One of the best lines in that movie.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynKoZD-sFi4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynKoZD-sFi4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Paladin
01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Appaloosa was written by Robert B. Parker. You should read the book because Parker's style is crisp, short and sounds like a Joe Friday on paper. I really enjoy his stories. He wrote the "Spencer" stories and also the Jesse Stone series about "Murder in Paradise".

Two of the best westerns made were "High Noon" and "Shane". I thought Shane was the ultimate western. I thought Lonesome Dove was a bit on the corny, tall tale side of the western stories.

ZONA
01-19-2009, 03:49 PM
How about the fastest draw that ever lived, and his accuracy was too.

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=30309332">The real Roland Deschain - Fastest Draw in the history of man</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=30309332,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=30309332,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

baja
01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Both High Noon and Shane are classics but if you want to call corn ya gotta include Shane in the conversation.

Tankgunner95
01-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Ok OK Tombstone hands down for my favorite movie/western. The back of our HS Football T-shirts said, TELL THEM IM COMING AND IM BRINGING HELL WITH ME!!!! LOVE that D@mn Movie

Paladin
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Both High Noon and Shane are classics but if you want to call corn ya gotta include Shane in the conversation.

Nah, corn is Blazing Saddles, Lonesome Dove, Cat Ballou (sp) and Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday.....

Chris
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Damn that draw is ridiculous... absolutely ridiculous...

Paladin
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Gotta like The Shootist as well.....

"It's what we call a false spring........"

baja
01-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Nah, corn is Blazing Saddles, Lonesome Dove, Cat Ballou (sp) and Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday.....

Are you saying Lonesome Dove is as corny as the others you listed?

baja
01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
"As for the unforeseeable it is out there waiting for me. "

jhat01
01-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Cat Ballou hahaha Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye. The definition of corn haha

jhat01
01-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Gotta like The Shootist as well.....

"It's what we call a false spring........"

And true grit:

Oh, well, I didn't have her long. My friends was a pack of river rats and she didn't crave their society so she up and left me and went back to her first husband who was clerkin' in a hardware store in Paducah. "Goodbye, Reuben," she says, "the love of decency does not abide in you!" That's a dee-vorced woman talkin' for you, about decency. Well, I told her. I said, "Goodbye, Nola, and I hope that nail-sellin' bastard makes you happy this time!"

Alkazar
01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
And true grit:

Oh, well, I didn't have her long. My friends was a pack of river rats and she didn't crave their society so she up and left me and went back to her first husband who was clerkin' in a hardware store in Paducah. "Goodbye, Reuben," she says, "the love of decency does not abide in you!" That's a dee-vorced woman talkin' for you, about decency. Well, I told her. I said, "Goodbye, Nola, and I hope that nail-sellin' bastard makes you happy this time!"

Hepburn and Wayne, you can't two better actors than them.

Atlas
01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Appaloosa

I'm looking to add more Westerns to my collection. I'm kinda skimpy there. Thanks.

Atlas
01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
El Dorado is one of my favorites. John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan. Even that crazy dude Arthur Hunnicutt, I think has was in every western during the 60's.

I watched Appaloosa last night, enjoyed it very much.

Unforgiven is my favorite.

Does Blazing Saddles count as a western?

SoDak Bronco
01-19-2009, 05:10 PM
you bastard i had to go out and get it today. Anyone use the 1 dollar Red-box rentals? They are like a vending machine for movies, pretty sweet actually. I checked to see which RedBoxes had the movie in town and went and snagged it for 1 dollar (if I return it by tomorrow at 7).

Atlas
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I disagree. It was pretty lame on some stereotypes (all people from Wyoming are poor. All people from Texas are trashy)

Uhhh... Kahn those stereotypes are true.

Bronco Bob
01-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Yeah, "Unforgiven" was great.

R8R H8R
01-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Hepburn and Wayne, you can't two better actors than them.

You're thinking of Rooster Cogburn, the sequel to True grit. Another great one.

I also like Rio Bravo, and the Searchers. Rio Bravo had Dean Martin as the drunk(what else?), Walter Brennan as the old timer, and a young Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickenson. Angie was quite the looker with great legs back in the day. Speaking of great looking, The Searchers had a very young Natalie Wood in it. BTW, The Searchers may have been Wayne's best performance.

watermock
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nAy8YnKvHQ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nAy8YnKvHQ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Alkazar
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Yeah, as a comedy western....

NUB
01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
The Proposition is a great Western from Australia, I think.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421238/

Definitely should check it out if you're into that genre.

*Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7V-CW_SUos

Paladin
01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Wasn't he up for a nomination for the Searchers? I know he got one for True Grit, but there was another one he was nominated for, just can't remember which.

BTW, I am scratching my head trying to remember who the actor was in the Shootist who was the protagonist at the end of the movie, shot by Wayne's character. Richard (somebody). Can you help me remember his name? The character arrived in town driving a "horseless carriage".

Alkazar
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM

I also like Rio Bravo, and the Searchers. Rio Bravo had Dean Martin as the drunk(what else?), Walter Brennan as the old timer, and a young Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickenson. Angie was quite the looker with great legs back in the day. Speaking of great looking, The Searchers had a very young Natalie Wood in it. BTW, The Searchers may have been Wayne's best performance.

You're right, got 'em mixed up. But both are Great movies. Another of John Wayne's great movies I think is The Sons of Katie Elder.

baja
01-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Agree on "The Searchers"

watermock
01-19-2009, 05:39 PM

indeed

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgVeHGqVHBM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgVeHGqVHBM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Paladin
01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
For all you young pups out there, you should check out some earlier Wayne films: "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", then go to WWII stuff like Sands of Iwo Jima and others. I like SofIJ because my dad took me to that movie just after he's come back for Germany. Gung Ho was another clasic WWII movie.

Another western that took prizes was "Whispering Smith", along with "Branded". Whose were Allan Ladd movies. "Cheyenne Autumn" was a poignant telling of the Marie Sandoz classic with Richard Widmark. Recently, "Geronimo" told a bold story based on factual material.

Lots of Westerns told great moralistic stories.....

Los Broncos
01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I like this scene...

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-7196328771519732098&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Los Broncos
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Lee Van Cleef - FOR A FISTFUL OF SCENES

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s6a5LIgi_Sc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s6a5LIgi_Sc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jesterhole
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Unforgiven gets my vote. Kinda slow leading up to the end, but DAMN, one of the best endings, in any movie, ever. Just gets drunk and goes and kills fools. Sounds so simple, and the movie was, but done right.

Silverado is great too. Incredible cast, funny and some good action.

Los Broncos
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
"Where life had no valve, death, sometimes, had its price"

"That is why the bounty hunter appeared"

bombay
01-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Certainly a great book.

bombay
01-19-2009, 06:18 PM

Loved Blazing Saddles. Another funny old (spaghetti) western was My Name Is Nobody - Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill.

Spider
01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Angel and the bad man was another , Big Jake was one of my favorites , McClintok , Comoncheros ,Liberty Valance ,True Grit , Hondo , but ididnt care for The Undefeated , Horse soldiers , Rio Lobo , Red River

Arkie
01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
My favorites

Unforgiven
Dances With Wolves
Lonesome Dove
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Tombstone
The Searchers
The Magnificent Seven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Bravo

24champ
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I like Clint Eastwood films, so Pale Rider...High Plains Drifter...Josey Wales...and so on are my favorites. I just hope that Clint can direct one more Western.

Florida_Bronco
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Tombstone is without a doubt, my favorite Western.

broncogary
01-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Lonely are the Brave. That's all you need to know.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 07:13 PM

310 to Yuma is really good, check it out (the russell crowe one)

24champ
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Tombstone is without a doubt, my favorite Western.

It's the only western movie you watched.

Malcontent
01-19-2009, 07:19 PM
How about the fastest draw that ever lived, and his accuracy was too.

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=30309332">The real Roland Deschain - Fastest Draw in the history of man</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=30309332,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=30309332,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

Why....(spits on ground)....He don't look like much to me!:rofl:

jhat01
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Wasn't he up for a nomination for the Searchers? I know he got one for True Grit, but there was another one he was nominated for, just can't remember which.

BTW, I am scratching my head trying to remember who the actor was in the Shootist who was the protagonist at the end of the movie, shot by Wayne's character. Richard (somebody). Can you help me remember his name? The character arrived in town driving a "horseless carriage".

Richard Boone..And you should know that. He played Paladin in "Have Gun Will Travel" Remember?

Miss I.
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
In the Western Comedy Category
1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2. Blazing Saddles

Anti-Westerns:
1. Unforgiven

Almost word for word what Arkie said sans Dances with Wolves (I find Kevin Costner in this film annoying, preachy and patronizing, the visuals were fine, but not a fan of the film in general).

Recent Films/relatively Recent
1. 3:10 to Yuma
2. Tombstone

Others:
And pretty much anything by John Ford and the Spaghetti Western of Clint Eastwood.
Magnificent Seven (a very good remake of Seven Samurai)

Here's a list of AFI's top 10 westerns:
http://www.afi.com/10TOP10/western.html

Malcontent
01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
In the Western Comedy Category
1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2. Blazing Saddles

Anti-Westerns:
1. Unforgiven

Almost word for word what Arkie said sans Dances with Wolves (I find Kevin Costner in this film annoying, preachy and patronizing, the visuals were fine, but not a fan of the film in general).

Recent Films/relatively Recent
1. 3:10 to Yuma
2. Tombstone

Others:
And pretty much anything by John Ford and the Spaghetti Western of Clint Eastwood.
Magnificent Seven (a very good remake of Seven Samurai)

Here's a list of AFI's top 10 westerns:
http://www.afi.com/10TOP10/western.html

Is 3:10 that good?

Just watched "Few Dollars More" today on Turner or some channel..the music was always the coolest Morricone was awesome at quirky music.

jhat01
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Just watched "Few Dollars More" today on Turner or some channel..the music was always the coolest Morricone was awesome at quirky music.

I liked the original better, but thats just me

Malcontent
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM

Huh?

Miss I.
01-19-2009, 07:44 PM

It was good. Now, I also enjoyed the original, but to me they are pretty different in their approach and performance. Russell Crowe was very good and he actually appeared to be having a good time. It was good. But Ford did an excellent job in the original.

Oh and someone mentioned the show Deadwood, that show was awesome. If you dont' like a lot of cussing and that is pretty rough though it may not be for all, but I really got hooked on it.

24champ
01-19-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm going to agree with you there. The Glen Ford and Van Heflin duo were better than Crowe and Bale. The original film was portrayed better than the remake.

Though I gotta say in the remake, Ben Foster as Charlie Prince was great acting.

jhat01
01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Huh?

What you didn't? Or you didn't know it was a remake?

baja
01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
The first several episodes of Deadwood were awesome, there is a thread around here somewhere.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
The first several episodes of Deadwood were awesome, there is a thread around here somewhere.

love deadwood...

Chris
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I'd say the first season and a half of deadwood was awesome..

baja
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I went on a trip after about the first 6 or 7 episodes and never caught another one You think it would be worth it to buy the collection?

24champ
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I went on a trip after about the first 6 or 7 episodes and never caught another one You think it would be worth it to buy the collection?

Yes I do...it got pretty addicting for me.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

you can rent the episodes...

Rohirrim
01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
And if you love Westerns, make sure you catch this film at least once in your life.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315A26S45ZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

baja
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
you can rent the episodes...

Not where I am.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Not where I am.

Let me guess, Libya?

baja
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Let me guess, Libya?

I'm on assignment so I can't say.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm on assignment so I can't say.

yet, you have time to post on the mane... dude, even if you did say where you is, its not like it's gonna matter if we find out.

For example, I'm posting from China, but I can't tell you that, 'cause itsa secret...

shhhhhhhh, keep your voice down.

baja
01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Another good guess like that and i'll have to shoot you

Spider
01-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Another good guess like that and i'll have to shoot you

LOL @Baja ..... yeah Tombstone I normally dont like remakes of westerns but 3:10 to Yuma was good ...... People havent Mentioned the Saketts , the Long riders , Tom Horn ( Steve McQueen was excellent in it ) The Champion with tom Berringer ( based on a true story in Wyoming ) and burt Reynolds ......

Paladin
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Richard Boone..And you should know that. He played Paladin in "Have Gun Will Travel" Remember?

I do. I just blocked that last name for whatever reason. Thanks.....

Paladin
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
How about "Broken Arrow" with Jimmy Stewart? Or "Bend of the River", "Man from Laramie", and his work in "How the West was Won"? I think Stewart was one of the more flexible actors around, playing many different roles from Glenn Miller to Mountain Men. His work in "Harvey" was great, but he was excellent in the westerns he did. There was a program on the Western Channel a few years back that did a long history of Western movies. They ranged from the old Tom Mix and earlier heroes to the Duke and the more contemporary actors.

R8R H8R
01-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Don't forget Silverado. This movie had a few up and coming stars in it (for its time), like Kevin Costner, Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Jeff Goldblum, and Scott Glenn. John Cleese had a small role and Brian Dennehy played the evil sheriff to perfection.

Rohirrim
01-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Jimmy Stewart's best Western was Winchester '73.

jonny1
01-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Glad someone mentioned Silverado, not that it's the greatest western of all time, but has everything you want in a western, fancy riding, lots of fancy gunplay, good villians . . . .

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2009, 08:58 AM
I've got a soft spot for Electric Cowboy w/ Redford and Hanoi Jane, good flick.

BUT BEST MOVIE OF ALL TME IS DRUGSTORE COWBOY

Pontius Pirate
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Appaloosa sucked. The Proposition - now there is a badass wester (albeit a Western in Australia)

Kaylore
01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I've got a soft spot for Electric Cowboy w/ Redford and Hanoi Jane, good flick.BUT BEST MOVIE OF ALL TME IS DRUGSTORE COWBOY

If you're going to bring Redford in then you gotta drop one of his best ever:

http://www.movieentertainment.ca/Sites/movie/images/1%20MOVIES/G%20ON%20DVD/1-DVDA0508_ButchCassidy.jpg

crawdad
01-30-2009, 08:03 AM
I watched Appaloosa last night and I think it's a great movie. Viggo Mortenson is really good in this movie!

orangenblue2
01-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Spider finally brought up one of my favorites..."The Long Riders". Its about the James/Younger gang. The cool thing about the film is that they cast real-life brothers to play the parts, ie: the Keach's as Frank & Jesse James and the Carridines as Cole/Bob/Jim Younger. Great slow motion gunfights as well. I give it an "A".

Rohirrim
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Just saw Appaloosa. Gawd, what a stinker. Not only is the whole story based on the concept that the guy with the biggest balls should get the girl in the end, they walk a massive Hereford bull down the middle of the street with his balls swinging to exaggerate the point. Gag of a script. Viggo does everything he can to save it but it's a lost cause. And what's with Zellweger? She looks like she's sucking on an old lemon through the whole film. Like some old gunslinger is going to cash it all in for that little sour nutjob? Ed Harris, you're a good actor. Forget the screenwriting/directing. You suck at it.

baja
01-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Just saw Appaloosa. Gawd, what a stinker. Not only is the whole story based on the concept that the guy with the biggest balls should get the girl in the end, they walk a massive Hereford bull down the middle of the street with his balls swinging to exaggerate the point. Gag of a script. Viggo does everything he can to save it but it's a lost cause. And what's with Zellweger? She looks like she's sucking on an old lemon through the whole film. Like some old gunslinger is going to cash it all in for that little sour nutjob? Ed Harris, you're a good actor. Forget the screenwriting/directing. You suck at it.

I think you watched the wrong movie you just reviewed Grand Torino

cutthemdown
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Little Big Man
The Searchers

crawdad
01-30-2009, 09:36 AM
The bull walking down the street with nads swinging thing was prophetic I guess. I liked it. I thought Viggo was great!

Paladin
01-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Parker's book Appaloosa was better than the movie. The dialog was intended to be short, and subtle in humor. There is an underlying tone of iconoclastic spoof and sarcasm to the story. If one reads the Spencer series or the Jesse Stone series, you get the tone and underlying sense of fatalism Parker metes out in his stories.

He is one of my favorite authros right now. I recommend you get a Robert B. Parker novel from a bookstore. Makes good reading.