PDA

View Full Version : Senior bowl Week

Mediator12
01-19-2009, 08:42 AM
It starts tonight people. The Senior bowl Practices will be on NFL Network. I highly recommend that people watch them to see the elite level guys go up against some top Competition.

This is my second favorite week of the offseason, behind the combine, and its getting closer every year. The rosters are very good except at a few positions like DE which is the worst I have ever seen. All the top DT's showed up though and the Top Centers did too. The OG's are a little weak, but it should be a solid evaluation for the DT's. All the top safeties showed up as well, so a lot of what DEN needs to rebuild the defense will be on display all week.

Have fun, I know I love to grade players this week so I can see how they do compared to their season evals. I like fighters and guys who regard practice as a means to get better. This really shows who gets it and wants it to me.

TheDave
01-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Nice...:thumbs:

I read the thread in the draft forum... I'm shocked at some of the names that chose to not show. Especially Laurenitis and Jackson.

Look forward to read what you think as the week progresses.

elsid13
01-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Players I am excited to see play
North

Ramses Barden (WR) think Marshall with Speed
B.J. Raji DL Boston College
Ron Brace DL Boston College
Ziggy Hood DL Missouri
Jeremiah Johnson RB Oregon
Louis Delmas DB (S) Western Michigan

South
Chip Vaughn DB (S) Wake Forest
Rashad Jennings RB Liberty
Michael Hamlin DB (S) Clemson

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
The Senior Bowl helped me steal Matt Forte at the bottom of the third round in the OM Mock Draft.

Thanks Senior Bowl!
http://www.b2bcoaching.co.uk/thumbs%20up%20low%20res.jpg

Mediator12
01-19-2009, 09:13 AM
The Senior Bowl helped me steal Matt Forte at the bottom of the third round in the OM Mock Draft.

Thanks Senior Bowl!
http://www.b2bcoaching.co.uk/thumbs%20up%20low%20res.jpg

He really showed it last year and he really played hard all year for CHI. Another great riser from the ssnior bowl.....

He would be AWESOME in DEN, just saying :welcome:

TheReverend
01-19-2009, 09:14 AM
It starts tonight people. The Senior bowl Practices will be on NFL Network. I highly recommend that people watch them to see the elite level guys go up against some top Competition.

This is my second favorite week of the offseason, behind the combine, and its getting closer every year. The rosters are very good except at a few positions like DE which is the worst I have ever seen. All the top DT's showed up though and the Top Centers did too. The OG's are a little weak, but it should be a solid evaluation for the DT's. All the top safeties showed up as well, so a lot of what DEN needs to rebuild the defense will be on display all week.

Have fun, I know I love to grade players this week so I can see how they do compared to their season evals. I like fighters and guys who regard practice as a means to get better. This really shows who gets it and wants it to me.

Are you going? Good place to find a job.

TheDave
01-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Players I am excited to see play
North

Ron Brace DL Boston College

There is the one I am most curious about. He seems to be the closest thing to a true 3-4 NT... and God knows we are going to need one of those.

Broncoman13
01-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Are you going? Good place to find a job.

Good place to go and watch some fun football too! I think one of these years we should make a trip out... what do you think?

Rohirrim
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I look forward to this too. IMO, they shouldn't allow seniors to sign with reps until after the Senior Bowl. Frigging lawyers are just screwing it up.

TheReverend
01-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Good place to go and watch some fun football too! I think one of these years we should make a trip out... what do you think?

Definitely. I WISH I were there this year.

Requiem
01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
It has begun. :smile:

OrangeRising
01-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Could someone tell me if the game is broadcast, and on what network. I bet it's on the NFL Network, home to four viewers and a few housepets.

Of course, my area (Cent Ohio) believes a vast selection of home shopping channels far outweighs the need for any more sports, so, I'm assuming I'm out of luck.

elsid13
01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
draftcountdown has the offical heights (http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/Senior-Bowl.php)

Some numbers
Barden 6.06 227# Arms 33 1/3 inches and Hand 10 5/8
Brandon Pettigrew 6.052 257# Arms 34 3/4 Hands 10 1/2
Mack 6.04 312# Arms 33 /14 and hands 10 5/8
Unger 6.046 299 Arms 32 1/4 Hands 9 3/8
Brace 6.030 329 Arms 33 3/4 Hands 9 5/8
Raji 6.015 334 Arms 31 /14 Hands 10 1/4
Moala 6.042 303 Arms 33 3/4 Hands 10

Dutch
01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Just finished watching DT practice. Ziggy Hood showed some good moves getting to the QB on a regular basis. Brace and Raji also looked good and were generating QB pressure almost everytime they were up on the drill. They mentioned how high these guys would all be going in the draft as there are several teams that will be switching to a 3-4 in this off season.

ludo21
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
If we go 3-4 as is predicted I wouldnt mind Raji at all.

Can Brace be had in the 2nd round if we wait? What is the thoughts tehre?

elsid13
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
If we go 3-4 as is predicted I wouldnt mind Raji at all.

Can Brace be had in the 2nd round if we wait? What is the thoughts tehre?

he should be, but with the number of team moving to 3/4 we might be in trouble

SouthStndJunkie
01-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State is a player who I think will be undervalued in the draft.

jayman_37
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
What does everyone know about the DT from Iowa? He is listed at 275, but was very disruptive. Would he fit into a DE in the 3-4 or is he too small?

Mediator12
01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
What does everyone know about the DT from Iowa? He is listed at 275, but was very disruptive. Would he fit into a DE in the 3-4 or is he too small?

Mitch King DE ? I think that is a possibility. More to follow from Mobile.

jayman_37
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah and they said he was one of the toughest kid in the Big 10 for the last few years. That sounds like something Denver needs more of.

Elway777
01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
B.j Radji might be the best player at the senior bowl. I wanted the Broncos to trade down and get him but most likely have to use the 12 pick on him because he fits any system and alot of teams could draft him. Brace also would be good in the second if the Broncos go for a playrs like Everette Brown or Rey Rey with the 12 pick. James Davis or Donald Brown could be good 3 round picks.

Elway777
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah and they said he was one of the toughest kid in the Big 10 for the last few years. That sounds like something Denver needs more of. The biggest problem with King is his height for a 3-4 De. I Think he is only 6-1. Might be better as a tampa 2 Dt.

ohiobronco2
01-19-2009, 08:01 PM
The biggest problem with King is his height for a 3-4 De. I Think he is only 6-1. Might be better as a tampa 2 Dt.

I thought he was 6'3. Do they have it listed at the Bowl?

elsid13
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I thought he was 6'3. Do they have it listed at the Bowl?

He is 6.014 and 275 pounds

SpringStein
01-19-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/senior-bowl-day-1-recap/

from national football post

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM

which means he's 5'11" in reality...

SoCalBronco
01-19-2009, 08:28 PM
South Practice Notes Monday Afternoon:

A stiff wind tore across the field at Fairhope, helping the kickers but impacting the quarterbacks' collective accuracy on intermediate and long throws. The low level of quarterback play slightly affected the scouts' ability to properly evaluate the wide outs and defensive backs. Despite this less than ideal situation, several players stood out in practice today:

Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson was a natural receiver, the most reliable of the South TE today in that aspect of the game. Nelson shows burst, crisp route running and separates from the coverage, without dropping any balls. Interesting side-note, former Carolina Panthers TE Kris Mangum (now a Southern Mississippi assistant coach) was in attendance, and it's apparent he's been sharing the tips of the trade with Nelson.

Liberty RB Rashad Jennings was very impressive today. He excelled in pass blocking, as a one-cut and go tailback, and also looked good running routes out of the backfield. As the weigh-in implied, Jennings is a premium athlete. Although he's a little taller and runs a little more upright than some teams would ideally like for the tailback position, recent rookies have shown that players like Jennings can be successful, even with an unorthodox style.

Wake Forest CB Alphonso Smith showed great awareness and football savvy, recording a pretty pick in 11-on-11s and several passes defended in drills. Smith showed today that his production at Wake was not an accident; he's a legit ball hawk whose stock is on the rise.

Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry was a beast in the pit 1-on-1 drills. His functional strength is simply on another level than the opposition, and one notable bull-rush became a reverse pancake with the offensive lineman flat on his back! Jerry has several pass rush moves, including an effective swim move, but he doesn't really need to get fancy to beat his man. Some reps he knows what he's gonna do, the other guy knows what he's gonna do and it still happens. By practice's end he was drawing double-teams in 11-on-11 drills. In the game, it will be interesting to see if the North's linemen can have better luck than the South's linemen had in trying to contain him.

The Pit battle of the day was between Ole Miss OT Michael Oher and Tennessee DE Robert Ayers. This was a back-and-forth bout, with early rounds going to Ayers and his quick first step. Ayers is a tough, feisty and competitive player, aggressive, showing good hands and a nose for the quarterback. After reps, Ayers would holler and clap, getting emotional and loud.

However, not to be out done, Oher rose to the challenge. He looked at Ayers, said "Ok let's get it [on]!" and ended the session by riding Ayers into the ground for a brutal looking pancake. Oher seemed to find his stride as the practice went on, and his potential is evident. His technique is spotty at times however and he needs to continue to work to bring his game to the point where it's not just physicality which carries him through.

Richmond DE Lawrence Sidbury is a very interesting prospect. He was a terror in pass rush, displaying an instinctual feel and timing in his moves. Sidbury can get around the edge, or he can change direction and break in another direction, leaving his man clutching air. However, Sidbury was washed out in run blocking, and seemed to be on his heels whenever the running back was headed to his side of the field. Obviously there is money to be made as a pass rusher, and Sidbury is clearly a player on the rise for those skills, but to be an every down player he needs to improve his stoutness against the run. As it stands however he's made an impressive leap from Shrine week to Senior week, and he keeps rising.

Florida OT Jason Watkins was a pleasant surprise all day. From his impressive physique at weigh-ins to his explosion off the ball in drills, he is a player teams will be looking at very closely as a possible swing player who can fill in at either tackle spot. In drills, Watkins was running as the right tackle in the first team offense and did an effective job keeping his opposing man from the ball carrier. He can be out-quicked however, and had some trouble with speed rushes in the Pit. It's questionable how many of these paths taken to the QB by opposing rushers are legit however.

San Jose State DB Coye Frances is a blanket in coverage, moves very well and had several passes defended. This practice coupled with his solid weigh in could make Frances a hot property in the coming weeks.

USC WR Patrick Turner displayed soft hands and had a crowd pleasing deep catch from Clemson QB Cullen Harper that got everyone buzzing. Turner is long and lean and can snag tough balls. While he's not going to convince anyone he's a track star, might be finally reaching the huge potential he's been associated with for years and might be a possession option at the next level. As for Harper, he's been the best of a bad group but needs to do a lot more to improve his stock to where it used to be.

Arizona WR Mike Thomas covers a lot of ground and is another player who has been improving his stock after a strong week at the Shrine game. Teams like his versatility, his hands and his return ability. South Carolina WR Kenny McKinley is also a smooth receiver, catching the ball with his hands, rather than trying to trap it against his pads. Timed speed will be paramount in determining both of these players' respective values.

Louisville OC Eric Wood played guard and center, was excellent in pulling, and impressed on lookers with his toughness, grit and coach ability. He's a smart technician who has real potential to start in the league. However, Wood was overwhelmed at the point of attack several times, and could stand to improve his core strength.

Southern California LB Clay Matthews shows signs of being a true football player and takes every opportunity to stick his face in the fan. He worked only at 'backer today and did a better than expected job in coverage.

Finally, although it's tough to judge in shells, LSU FB Quinn Johnson could be this year's LeRon McClain. Give Johnson the ball, he powers through the line and just doesn't go to ground easily.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

Malcontent
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I watch it, but its kinda lacking hard data, since its only 1/2 hr on NFL network and the guys move pretty fast between analyzing players. I wish theyd do a 2 hr show on Friday before the game to preview and review the weeks practices and the rising stars etc...We here already know who the good guys are...that show is for the people that don't(Boob).

broncogary
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Southern California LB Clay Matthews shows signs of being a true football player and takes every opportunity to stick his face in the fan. He worked only at 'backer today and did a better than expected job in coverage.
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

There's some football pedigree for you.

skpac1001
01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Sports Illustrated's take.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/19/senior.bowl.day1/index.html?eref=si_latest

According to them Maualuga didn't look good today.

TheDave
01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
he should be, but with the number of team moving to 3/4 we might be in trouble

I keep hearing this... who else is converting?

Greenbay?

elsid13
01-20-2009, 05:49 AM
which means he's 5'11" in reality...

No that offical Senior Bowl weigh in so that number is true.

elsid13
01-20-2009, 05:50 AM
I keep hearing this... who else is converting?

Greenbay?

Yes Capers said so yesterday when signed. I don't think Harrell is good candidate for NT

cmhargrove
01-20-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm starting to think that trading down in the first round and taking a DT like Jerry might be the best move. It would also be a "Patriot Style" of move to get more picks.

If we could trade down and pick up an extra second rounder, it would be awesome. We could end up with D-line, Safety and still be able to take a high offensive pick for BPA. I for one wouldn't mind landing a Shonn Greene in the lower second round with an extra pick. Or, we might be able to grab Alex Mack to shore up the Center position.

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 07:54 AM
I would love us to get Rashad Jennings in the 2nd, and Raji or Jerry in the first, and pray that Mathews is still there in the 3rd.

ludo21
01-20-2009, 07:55 AM
is MAybin a for sure top 10 or will he drop?

elsid13
01-20-2009, 07:56 AM
is MAybin a for sure top 10 or will he drop?

No one knows. I would expect him to be in the 10 to 15 range.

elsid13
01-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I just want to say Mike Thomas is getting a lot of praise between last week game and this week pratices. I thought we might get lucky and have him sitting in the 4th round, now I bet he slide into the late 2nd and early 3rd

ludo21
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Im a big fan of Thomas. I watched a ton of UofA games and that guys hands are solid. He will catch everything and just finds ways to get open. Id love him as a late 3rd early 4th

ohiobronco2
01-20-2009, 08:19 AM

That is what you get for relying off of Iowa's website. :D Thanks

socalorado
01-20-2009, 08:27 AM
That is what you get for relying off of Iowa's website. :D Thanks

Is laurinitus there? just curious?

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Punked out

no-pseudo-fan
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
nope. he was a Jr last year, remember he decided to come back for his senior season

ohiobronco2
01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Punked out

Yeah. I'm surprised he didn't participate, given he has been passed on many draft boards by Curry.