PDA

View Full Version : Capers to Green Bay as DC

BigPlayShay
01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Won't be on the Broncos staff:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37807024.html

Pittsburgh - Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy's new defensive coordinator will be Dom Capers.

A source familiar with the search process said Sunday night that McCarthy and Capers had reached an agreement on a deal that would bring the longtime defensive coordinator and former head coach to Green Bay.

Capers made himself known with a 3-4 defense but he has worked with other defenses as well and probably will employ a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. This season, Capers was a special assistant with the New England Patriots, coaching mostly in the secondary.

Capers was the fourth of four prominent defensive coaches to interview with McCarthy. He visited Friday night and Saturday with McCarthy and then agreed to a deal Sunday night.

Terms of the agreement are not known.

In Capers, McCarthy would be getting a coach who cut his teeth in the 3-4 system and used it consistently, sometimes with great success and other times with little. During his three years as head coach of the Houston Texans, his biggest failure was getting the defense established. Twice it ranked 31st in the league.

Capers, 58, has some experience running the 4-3, too, and undoubtedly picked up some wide-ranging concepts from Bill Belichick during his year with the Patriots. Part of his interview with McCarthy presumably was to see how compatible their defensive philosophies are.

Capers got his start in the NFL in New Orleans under coach Jim Mora, moved on to become a successful coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers, was head coach of the Carolina Panthers for three seasons, had two good years as defensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars under Tom Coughlin, was head coach of the Texans for five years and spent two seasons as an assistant in Miami.

He had been rumored to be a candidate to replace New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who took the St. Louis Rams' head coaching job this week.

McCarthy fired defensive coordinator Bob Sanders along with most of his defensive staff after a disappointing 6-10 season in which the defense had trouble rushing the passer and stopping the run. Capers will presumably play a role in replacing the fired assistants. The positions unfilled include defensive line and secondary.

Assistant head coach/linebackers Winston Moss remains on the staff, but it's unclear whether he'll want to stay around. He is under contract for next season but if he requested to leave, McCarthy would probably allow it. Moss was one of the people McCarthy interviewed for the coordinator position.

He also interviewed former San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and former St. Louis Rams interim coach and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.

Nolan took a job with the Denver Broncos, Williams took a job with the New Orleans Saints and Haslett is still available.

ludo21
01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Slowik still available?

ND Bronco Fan
01-19-2009, 06:48 AM
I kept seeing the RMN saying he would join the Broncos staff shortly for the past week, nice sources guys.

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 06:57 AM
That's weird. They've played a 4-3 for some time. I guess they want to undo the whole thing and play a 3-4.

footstepsfrom#27
01-19-2009, 06:58 AM
I had a feeling he wasn't going anywhere he wasn't going to the the DC.

SpringStein
01-19-2009, 06:59 AM
That's weird. They've played a 4-3 for some time. I guess they want to undo the whole thing and play a 3-4.

I think the upcoming wave will be the hybrid using some of each. Much like what the Cardinals are doing. I could see that for Capers and GB.

montrose
01-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Too bad. While I liked the idea of Capers being on our staff, most coaches of his experience don't tend to stick in one place too long as position coaches or defensive assistants - I doubt he would've been here longer than a year or so. I figure we'll hone in on Donatell to coach our DB's, then go after our DL and LB coaches.

Broncoman13
01-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Who is the best at DL out there? Romeo? Where did Haslett start?

WolfpackGuy
01-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I think Haslett was a Cowher disciple.

Hogan11
01-19-2009, 08:20 AM
No great loss, he's washed up anyways.

Haslett is interesting, he's one of those great coordinator/lousy HC guys.

Majik
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Haslett is interesting, he's one of those great coordinator/lousy HC guys.

We should probably keep him away from Mcdaniels then, don't want anything rubbing off.

montrose
01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Who is the best at DL out there? Romeo?

My understanding is that Romeo was going to be staying with Cleveland in some capacity - like the FO.

2KBack
01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
We should probably keep him away from Mcdaniels then, don't want anything rubbing off.

that doesn't make sense at all

chaz
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/19/dom-capers-packers-defensive-coordinator/

chaz
01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
the Capers/Nolan duo isn't happening...

the article:

Packers hire Capers as defensive coordinator

Dom Capers, the veteran defensive coach who was being considered for a spot on the Broncos defensive staff, according to several players, accepted the defensive coordinator's job in Green Bay late Sunday.

Capers worked with new Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels in New England and had been given permission to pursue jobs elsewhere despite having a year left on his deal with the Patriots. Before Mike Nolan was hired as Broncos defensive coordinator, Capers was rumored to be a candidate for that job.