PDA

View Full Version : 1/18/09 Updated Broncos Coaching Roster

montrose
01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
As a reference. If McDaniels fills out his staff as New England did, the Broncos won't carry any assistant position coaches. Also, it's likely Matt McCoy will carry the title of QB Coach.

Head Coach: Josh McDaniels

Offensive Coordinator: Matt McCoy
Quarterbacks Coach: TBD
Running Backs Coach: Bobby Turner
Wide Receivers Coach: Adam Gase
Tight Ends Coach: TBD
Offensive Line Coach: Rick Dennison

Defensive Coordinator: Mike Nolan
Defensive Line Coach: TBD
Linebackers Coach: TBD
Defensive Backs Coach: TBD

Special Teams Coordinator: Mike Priefer

Strength and Conditioning Coach: Rich Tuten
Assistant Strength and Conditioning: Greg Saporta

Tankgunner95
01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
As a reference. If McDaniels fills out his staff as New England did, the Broncos won't carry any assistant position coaches. Also, it's likely Matt McCoy will carry the title of QB Coach.

D@mn that TBD coach is going to be a busy man LOL

BroncoDoug
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
D@mn that TBD coach is going to be a busy man LOL

HAHA, well he does have a lot of work cut out for him trying to fix this defense..

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Good thread, montrose ... let's keep it up to date :thumbs:

SoDak Bronco
01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Any word about McDermott from philly is he still a possibilty to add to the team?

MechanicalBull
01-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Any word about McDermott from philly is he still a possibilty to add to the team?

I was thinking the same thing when they showed him on the sideline today. But now Philly would have to give him permission since Nolan is the DC he won't be getting promoted in Denver.

illbroncsfn
01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Is Ed Donatell coming in to be the DB coach in Denver?

TheReverend
01-19-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm hopeful somehow Bates stays on as the QB coach.

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm getting over Bates. I'd love for him to stay, but it's not like McDaniels doesn't know what he's doing should Bates (or McDaniels) choose to move on.

TheReverend
01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm getting over Bates. I'd love for him to stay, but it's not like McDaniels doesn't know what he's doing should Bates (or McDaniels) choose to move on.

That's not entirely my area of concern.

How much time will a rookie headcoach have to devote on one-on-one time with Jay?

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 07:09 AM
That's not entirely my area of concern.

How much time will a rookie headcoach have to devote on one-on-one time with Jay?

He'll probably spend more than he should his first year because he'll be teaching his system and still do things like an O coordinator. Bates is good, but McDaniels system is more QB friendly. Jay is going to love the ability to make calls at the line like he did in College. We need to see who the next QB coach is before we freak out, though.

supermanhr9
01-19-2009, 07:18 AM
If cassel can win 11 games with mcdaniels, Cutler should be able to do the same thing,,, maybe? I know it all relies on our defense.

Was I the only one yesterday drooling at the Ravens and Pittsburg defenses. They freakin swarm to the ball like maniacs

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 07:20 AM
If cassel can win 11 games with mcdaniels, Cutler should be able to do the same thing,,, maybe? I know it all relies on our defense.

Was I the only one yesterday drooling at the Ravens and Pittsburg defenses. They freakin swarm to the ball like maniacs
You should. Those are the best defenses in the league. It would be unrealistic to expect that next year, though.

Broncoman13
01-19-2009, 07:25 AM
You should. Those are the best defenses in the league. It would be unrealistic to expect that next year, though.

Mid season! I better see Ravenesque defense by midseason or FIRE THE WHOLE STAFF!!!

;D

supermanhr9
01-19-2009, 07:25 AM

I know, but it made me so damn jealous. Both of those offenses are so boring, their only jobs are to manage the game, becuase they're defense is going to keep them in it everytime! Man I wish we had that.

elsid13
01-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Mid season! I better see Ravenesque defense by midseason or FIRE THE WHOLE STAFF!!!

;D

Dude, this is the Orangemane. If Denver doesn't that level by the end of preseason, then number of thread calling for Defense coaches heads will be about 100. I am sure that Popps 100 years of sitting and watching football on TV will be able to tell the coaches why they suck too.

dbfan21
01-19-2009, 07:52 AM

I was thinking the same thing too. I would kill to have that type of a defense. Let me ask you this: What type of an immediate impact could Polamalu make on our defense? I think he'd be incredibly valuable.

montrose
01-19-2009, 08:10 AM
I was thinking the same thing too. I would kill to have that type of a defense. Let me ask you this: What type of an immediate impact could Polamalu make on our defense? I think he'd be incredibly valuable.

He'd make an incredible impact. One thing to consider is that if we had those types of defenses, there's no way we could have our offense long term - it would be impossible to afford that type of talent on both sides of the ball. Pittsburgh and Baltimore decided to spend their resources on defense and then do what they could to field a competent offense. Denver has taken the opposite approach for years and with the young nucleus of this team entirely on the offensive side of the ball, it's likely to continue. Our hope has to be finding a formula like Arizona has used this year or Indy in 2006, having a top offense and getting our defense to middle-of-the-pack status where it can at least create some turnovers. If we can get our running game going to the point where we're scoring TD's instead of FG's, and our defense finishes in the middle of the league in ppg and turnovers - we'll be a very competitive team.

Hogan11
01-19-2009, 08:26 AM

So far, I'm underwhelmed.

Orange_Beard
01-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Source: Capers to sign with Packers (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/86692-source-capers-to-sign-with-packers?eref=fromSI) Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy's new defensive coordinator will be Dom Capers. A source familiar with the search process said Sunday night that McCarthy and Capers had reached an agreement on a new deal that would bring the longtime defensive coordinator and former head coach to Green Bay. Capers made himself known with a 3-4 defense, but he has worked with other defenses as well and probably will employ a hybrid 3/4 - 4/3 defense. This past season, Capers was a special assistant with the New England Patriots, coaching mostly in the secondary. Capers was the fourth of four prominent defensive coaches to interview with McCarthy. He visited Friday night and Saturday with McCarthy and then agreed to a new deal Sunday night. Terms of the agreement are not known. (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel)
(Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

supermanhr9
01-19-2009, 08:32 AM
He'd make an incredible impact. One thing to consider is that if we had those types of defenses, there's no way we could have our offense long term - it would be impossible to afford that type of talent on both sides of the ball. Pittsburgh and Baltimore decided to spend their resources on defense and then do what they could to field a competent offense. Denver has taken the opposite approach for years and with the young nucleus of this team entirely on the offensive side of the ball, it's likely to continue. Our hope has to be finding a formula like Arizona has used this year or Indy in 2006, having a top offense and getting our defense to middle-of-the-pack status where it can at least create some turnovers. If we can get our running game going to the point where we're scoring TD's instead of FG's, and our defense finishes in the middle of the league in ppg and turnovers - we'll be a very competitive team.

Very True, however we do have a lot of money tied up on defense i.e Champ, Dre, and DJ, and some lame FA's we all agree on. Our problem is that we paid the wrong guys. We spent so much money on Champ's incompetent brother Boss, Niko Koutiv-I-suck, and big D-Rob on the D-Line, and Dre I'm getting to old and am over-paid. These guys ate/eat up a lot of money on the defensive side.

If we had spent our money wisely we could have asily had the "middle -of-the-pack" defense you're talking about, and probably been a threat to the rest of the NFL instead of a nuisance. Even if we had just spent our money on one key guy, like a polamalu, or someone of his caliber, we would've been in the running. We have to draft at least one key guy (you know who) and sign one key FA or nothing will change on the D-side of the ball

Chris
01-19-2009, 08:32 AM
I still don't know why we got rid of Jedd Fisch (our old receivers coach)........

Florida_Bronco
01-19-2009, 08:38 AM
the Broncos won't carry any assistant position coaches.

This is one thing that I will think will be addition by subtraction. I know Wabbit commented on it sometime during the 2007 season that we had a very large coaching staff and that it's possible some players were getting conflicting coaching or something to that effect. Too many cooks in the kitchen and all that.

I'm hoping that a more simplified coaching staff will allow the players to spend less time thinking and more time playing.

socalorado
01-19-2009, 08:46 AM

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=9615&dateline=1232036256 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=9615)

Paladin
01-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Coming back to those D's, there are three positions that I really am jealous over: NT, MLB and S. Those seem to be the major parts to their Ds. I am uncertain s to how Denver is going to get those parts, but they need them bad. My guess is that FA is going to determine how the Denver draft goes, maybe this year more so than in the past .......

telluride
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Could we please get rid of Tuten?

Gort
01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
So far, I'm underwhelmed.

you shouldn't be.

1) slowick is gone
2) an old, all-too-powerful HC is gone and a young, hungry HC has replaced him.

hopefully that black hole called Shanny's doghouse is gone too. once a player fell in there, he never got a chance to get back out.

i expect to see some real innovation in the Broncos passing game next year.

montrose
01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Very True, however we do have a lot of money tied up on defense i.e Champ, Dre, and DJ, and some lame FA's we all agree on. Our problem is that we paid the wrong guys. We spent so much money on Champ's incompetent brother Boss, Niko Koutiv-I-suck, and big D-Rob on the D-Line, and Dre I'm getting to old and am over-paid. These guys ate/eat up a lot of money on the defensive side.

If we had spent our money wisely we could have asily had the "middle -of-the-pack" defense you're talking about, and probably been a threat to the rest of the NFL instead of a nuisance. Even if we had just spent our money on one key guy, like a polamalu, or someone of his caliber, we would've been in the running. We have to draft at least one key guy (you know who) and sign one key FA or nothing will change on the D-side of the ball

I agree that we spend our money unwisely defensively but I was speaking regarding the future. I don't have the actual figures in front of me but I'm certain we paid our defensive personnel more than our offensive personnel last year which is just funny if you think about it. It's quite amazing our offense was as productive as it was considering two of the highest paid guys were Cutler and Clady and they're both playing on their rookie contracts which are of very good value.

The problem is that over the next 2-3 years, we'll have to spend a considerable amount of money to keep this offense together. In essence, we'll have the same players on offense but we'll finally be paying for what we get - that means money will need to be trimmed from the defense (gulp). It puts that much more pressure on drafting defensive talent. While we should eventually clean out money from bad moves like Boss, Niko, Robertson, etc. - we will have a smaller overall budget to work with on defense. That's why I find signing a guy like Haynesworth or Suggs to be a bit of a pipe dream at this point. Either that, or signing that guy will likely make us compromise losing someone on offense.

My guess is that the gameplan will be to allot a majority of the budget towards keeping the offense intact and using the draft, annually, to replenish the defensive talent much like the Colts have done over the past few years. Using that model it's unlikely we're ever going to have a dominant defense. But by staying away from defensive FA signings and concentrating on solid defensive draft selections that fit our scheme, we have the chance to be competitive over the next 5 years or so.

TheDave
01-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Could we please get rid of Tuten?

Why do you have something against well respected, successful strength and conditioning coaches?

telluride
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Why do you have something against well respected, successful strength and conditioning coaches?

No, but we're talking about Tuten here. A man who oversees a too-often injured team that routinely fades in the fourth quarter due to poor conditioning, and which is composed almost entirely of undersized, unusually weak players. A well-respected, successful strength and conditioning coach would not have allowed a teams #1 draft pick to come to camp two years running at 235 pounds, when he should be playing at 255-260, minimum.

Florida_Bronco
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
No, but we're talking about Tuten here. Yep, that would be the one.

A man who oversees a too-often injured team We've had just as many (if not more) good seasons for injuries.

that routinely fades in the fourth quarter due to poor conditioning Please prove this statement.

and which is composed almost entirely of undersized, unusually weak players. And that has what, exactly, to do with Tuten?

A well-respected, successful strength and conditioning coach would not have allowed a teams #1 draft pick to come to camp two years running at 235 pounds, when he should be playing at 255-260, minimum.

Again, how is this Tuten's fault?

telluride
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Yep, that would be the one.

We've had just as many (if not more) good seasons for injuries.

Please prove this statement.
And that has what, exactly, to do with Tuten?

Again, how is this Tuten's fault?

If you want to see how we fade in the fourth quarters, just check our points scored/points given up stats over the past 3-4 years. And if it's not the strangth and conditioning coach's responsibility to make sure that our top draft picks are in top shape, then who the heck is it?

Tuten has been sliding by for many years now. IT's time for a change. Get him out of here.

supermanhr9
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree that we spend our money unwisely defensively but I was speaking regarding the future. I don't have the actual figures in front of me but I'm certain we paid our defensive personnel more than our offensive personnel last year which is just funny if you think about it. It's quite amazing our offense was as productive as it was considering two of the highest paid guys were Cutler and Clady and they're both playing on their rookie contracts which are of very good value.

The problem is that over the next 2-3 years, we'll have to spend a considerable amount of money to keep this offense together. In essence, we'll have the same players on offense but we'll finally be paying for what we get - that means money will need to be trimmed from the defense (gulp). It puts that much more pressure on drafting defensive talent. While we should eventually clean out money from bad moves like Boss, Niko, Robertson, etc. - we will have a smaller overall budget to work with on defense. That's why I find signing a guy like Haynesworth or Suggs to be a bit of a pipe dream at this point. Either that, or signing that guy will likely make us compromise losing someone on offense.

My guess is that the gameplan will be to allot a majority of the budget towards keeping the offense intact and using the draft, annually, to replenish the defensive talent much like the Colts have done over the past few years. Using that model it's unlikely we're ever going to have a dominant defense. But by staying away from defensive FA signings and concentrating on solid defensive draft selections that fit our scheme, we have the chance to be competitive over the next 5 years or so.\

Very True, I tend to forget that soon Mr Cutler and B-Marsh are gonna be wanting their paydays, that's a shame. I wasn't really looking into the future like I should've been. I agree with what you say in regards we'll keep the offense together and sacrifice our D,,, so scary

montrose
01-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Very True, I tend to forget that soon Mr Cutler and B-Marsh are gonna be wanting their paydays, that's a shame. I wasn't really looking into the future like I should've been. I agree with what you say in regards we'll keep the offense together and sacrifice our D,,, so scary

Hopefully Cutler and Clady shouldn't be problems for a while as they have plenty of time left on their 1st rookie deals. Marshall, Kuper and Scheffler will be next in line, followed by Harris and eventually Royal if he continues putting up #1 WR numbers.

As far as the defense, if we need to find 2-3 defensive starters as rookies out of this draft. I'm thinking we sign one veteran safety like James Sanders or Oshiomogho Atogwe and draft another to join Josh Barrett. Hopefully we a true MLB in the draft to join DJ Williams in the middle. Then, draft a 3-4 OLB and sign a cheap veteran like Rosie Colvin to compete with Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil on the outsides. Finally we'll need to find at least one NT through the draft and likely another through free agency like Grady Jackson or Kendrick Allen. Finally, the draft will need to net at least 1-2 DE's to work in with Marcus Thomas and Tim Crowder. As a side note, we're probably looking at the need of at least one CB as well seeing Bly is due a big bonus.

Florida_Bronco
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
If you want to see how we fade in the fourth quarters, just check our points scored/points given up stats over the past 3-4 years. Prove that is Tuten's fault.

And if it's not the strangth and conditioning coach's responsibility to make sure that our top draft picks are in top shape, then who the heck is it? 1) Moss was recovering from a broken leg and lost weight 2) All the coaching in the world don't matter if a player doesn't do his part (we dont know if Moss did)

Kaylore
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
I agree that we spend our money unwisely defensively but I was speaking regarding the future. I don't have the actual figures in front of me but I'm certain we paid our defensive personnel more than our offensive personnel last year which is just funny if you think about it.
Nobody's laughing.

It's quite amazing our offense was as productive as it was considering two of the highest paid guys were Cutler and Clady and they're both playing on their rookie contracts which are of very good value.

My guess is that the gameplan will be to allot a majority of the budget towards keeping the offense intact and using the draft, annually, to replenish the defensive talent much like the Colts have done over the past few years. Using that model it's unlikely we're ever going to have a dominant defense. But by staying away from defensive FA signings and concentrating on solid defensive draft selections that fit our scheme, we have the chance to be competitive over the next 5 years or so.

I totally agree. I think we should spend our FA money on sure things and draft to fix the defense. I think any FA's we bring in should be good role-player types that come cheap but are willing to work hard. We need a baseline of guys who want to play for us and then slowly draft toward better and better defenses.

I would not be against trading for a good front seven player, though.

Hogan11
01-19-2009, 01:21 PM
you shouldn't be.

1)slowick is gone

2) an old, all-too-powerful HC is gone and a young, hungry HC has replaced him.

hopefully that black hole called Shanny's doghouse is gone too. once a player fell in there, he never got a chance to get back out.

i expect to see some real innovation in the Broncos passing game next year.

But I am

1) True Slowick is gone, but Nolan has been nothing but a loser. Hard to get excited about his hiring. It's like replacing a headache with a toothache.

2) McCoy's resume is pretty unimpressive.

3) McDaniels hirings thus far I think validate a questioning of his judgement.

I remain in the sceptical "Show me" mode. McDaniels is going to have to convince me. I'm not thrilled with his decisions thus far.

supermanhr9
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
But I am

1) True Slowick is gone, but Nolan has been nothing but a loser. Hard to get excited about his hiring. It's like replacing a headache with a toothache.

I remain in the sceptical "Show me" mode. McDaniels is going to have to convince me. I'm not thrilled with his decisions thus far.

I agree, people are getting pumped on McDaniels and I just can't do it. I'd rather everyone jump on board that train and I'll stay behind waiting to hear I told you so from everyone. I truly hope that happens and not the other way around, for I won't get any pleasure of saying "I told you so". I'm still in denial and want our coach back, but every day is gettign better and one day I'll accept J Mac

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-19-2009, 03:14 PM
But I am

i liked your other points.
i have to disagree with this point here. i think there is another thread around here that pointed nolans record as a DC in the past 15 years. and save for 1 years with the ravens and 1 year with the redskins, his defenses were ranked in the top 10 in both yards and points allowed. now his record as a HC is undeniable, but i think that makes him a crappy HC. and equally undeniable is that he makes a good DC. the same could be side of coaches like wade phillips and d1ck labeau to name a few.

eddie mac
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
But I am

I think you'll find they're more to do with his lacklustre budget considering Bowlen still has about $30m on the books for coaches who dont coach anymore.

Paladin
01-19-2009, 03:54 PM
...I'm not thrilled with his decisions thus far.

Just you wait. In the fullness of time you might come to be fullly underwhelmed......

SonOfLe-loLang
01-19-2009, 04:04 PM
But I am

NUmber is 3 is based on nothing....NOTHING. Don't pretend you know much about his new coaches or that you somehow have intimate knowledge of their style.