PDA

View Full Version : RMN: Broncos name McCoy Offensive Coordinator

montrose
01-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Broncos name McCoy offensive coordinator
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels closed out his first week on the job with yet another hire for his inaugural staff.

Matt McCoy, who had been an offensive assistant with the Carolina Panthers, has accepted the job to be the Broncos offensive coordinator.

McCoy will largely be responsible for game preparation through the week, especially in the passing game, since McDaniels will call plays on game day.

McCoy, 36, has been with the Panthers for nine seasons and was the passing game coordinator for Carolina as well as being the team’s quarterbacks coach.

His hiring also likely signals Jeremy Bates, the Broncos quarterbacks coach last season who also called plays on game day, is headed elsewhere unless he wants to accept a far smaller role on the offensive staff.

Bates has three years left on his contract, the most of any former Mike Shanahan assistant with the Broncos, but already has received permission to speak to the Raiders and is also likely a candidate to join Jim Schwartz’s staff in Detroit. Schwartz and Bates worked together with the Titans.

Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner, who were on Shanahan’s staff since 1995, were informed this past week they would be retained to coach offensive line and running backs respectively.

The two and McCoy join defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who was McDaniels’ first hire, on the new Broncos staff. Mike Priefer, formerly the Chiefs special teams coach, will be the Broncos’ new special teams coach and former 49ers assistant Adam Gase will coach wide receivers.

McDaniels is still in the process of interviewing candidates to fill out the defensive staff. Veteran coach Dom Capers, who interviewed with Green Bay on Friday to be that team’s defensive coordinator, is still expected to join the Broncos staff in some fashion.

Capers had a year left on his deal with the Patriots, but will not be back with the team in 2009.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/18/broncos-name-mccoy-offensive-coordinator/

Malcontent
01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
and is this a good thing??? I have no idea.

ludo21
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
i have no idea why we did this... Carolina QB sucked all year, not just in the playoffs.

Also, why would Capers take an Assistant role when he could be a DC somewhere?

Broncojef
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Still talking Capers kinda surprises me.

TheDave
01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Meh... we hired our Offensive coordinator when McDaniels accepted the head coaching position.

TheReverend
01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Meh... we hired our Offensive coordinator when McDaniels accepted the head coaching position.

He'll still probably be doing the majority of the situational preparation and probably more interaction with Cutler

RunSilentRunDeep
01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
http://blog.feefifoto.com/images/2008/02/13/lombardi_trophy.jpg

TheDave
01-18-2009, 07:19 PM
He'll still probably be doing the majority of the situational preparation and probably more interaction with Cutler

I doubt the interaction with cutler part... I think McDaniels plans to be cutlers buddy for the short term atleast.

TheReverend
01-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I doubt the interaction with cutler part... I think McDaniels plans to be cutlers buddy for the short term atleast.

I still think he should hire a lingerie model to be the "buffer" :~ohyah!:

titan
01-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Still talking Capers kinda surprises me.

Legwold is the only one who has said Capers will be on the staff. No hint of this from other sources. We'll see if he's right.

MechanicalBull
01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Lets hope he is the Real McCoy.

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Lets hope he is the Real McCoy.

pun rep!

Willynowei
01-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Whatever i dont know any of these guys, theyve gutted the offensive staff from last year despite a very impressive finish considering the injuries we had.

All i know is if our offense isn't drastically better as in top 2 scoring in the NFL next year considering the players we have and the running back stable will be healthy, then it wont be too early to start calling for peoples heads already.

One thing about Shanahan and our old coaching staffs, even though we werent the greatest at fielding talent, we always got the best out of them.

MechanicalBull
01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
pun rep!

It was a corny joke and Ludo let me have it. Neg repping me with "Lame Joke" :rofl:

ludo21
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
It was a corny joke and Ludo let me have it. Neg repping me with "Lame Joke" :rofl:

haha.. I dont neg rep often, but that was too corny to pass up Ha!

MechanicalBull
01-18-2009, 08:00 PM
haha.. I dont neg rep often, but that was too corny to pass up Ha!

It's all in good fun, but now I have to find another profession since my future in stand up obviously isn't good.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Whatever i dont know any of these guys, theyve gutted the offensive staff from last year despite a very impressive finish considering the injuries we had.

All i know is if our offense isn't drastically better as in top 2 scoring in the NFL next year considering the players we have and the running back stable will be healthy, then it wont be too early to start calling for peoples heads already.

One thing about Shanahan and our old coaching staffs, even though we werent the greatest at fielding talent, we always got the best out of them.

If by "gutted" you mean got rid of two offensive assistance, I suppose you're right.

Impressive finish? Last 4 games: 24, 10, 23, 21 points. Hardly impressive. At all. We were dead average in scoring offense.

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
i have no idea why we did this... Carolina QB sucked all year, not just in the playoffs.

Well to be fair, the QB was Jake Delhomme.

wolf754life
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
we were 16th in scoring last year, that has to improve fan boy

ludo21
01-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Well to be fair, the QB was Jake Delhomme.

True.. If he has the commitment to the run that Carolina showed last season I will enjoy that for sure.

But as Dave said, McD is our OC anyway

TonyR
01-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Legwold is the only one who has said Capers will be on the staff. No hint of this from other sources. We'll see if he's right.

I hope he is right but it sounds more likely that he'll land a DC job somewhere.

outdoor_miner
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Umm... what about Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner? And I love how only "top 2 scoring in the NFL" will do when we were 16th last year. You're not giving the new guy much of a chance.

Pick Six
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
For the sake of avoiding internal conflict, we better not hire someone named Hatfield...:)

Lolad
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
name a good WR on the 49ers why did we get rid of fisch?

TheDave
01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
name a good WR on the 49ers why did we get rid of fisch?

I have a feeling it had something to do with him being too Buddy-Buddy with Marshal

Taco John
01-18-2009, 10:37 PM
What is up with this trend of breaking big news on Sunday night?

Taco John
01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
. We were dead average in scoring offense.

Not when we had Pittman or Hillis running the ball. This idea that we can't score is ridiculous. We had 7 RBs on IR and had to rely on the passing game because of our inconsistency on the ground. Once we have stability at the runningback position, we'll have a top 5 scoring offense easy.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Now Kaylore will have another outlet for Star Trek jokes.

lookin' glass
01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
I read somewhere the Giants want Capers for DC after Spags left. Any news on the DL coach candidates? McDermott?

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Now Kaylore will have another outlet for Star Trek jokes.

In the meeting room with Jay:

"Alright, dammit...we're going to start out the game running Red Right, 24 Genesis"

"Genesis?"

"Yes...Genesis, how can you be deaf with ears like that?"

SpringStein
01-19-2009, 06:56 AM
McDaniels is still in the process of interviewing candidates to fill out the defensive staff. Veteran coach Dom Capers, who interviewed with Green Bay on Friday to be that team’s defensive coordinator, is still expected to join the Broncos staff in some fashion.Capers had a year left on his deal with the Patriots, but will not be back with the team in 2009.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/18/broncos-name-mccoy-offensive-coordinator/

I wonder now that Capers has signed as the Packers DC if the RMN will finally quit saying this.

DB Doom
01-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Is anyone as worried as i am? Nolan? McCoy? the chefs special teams coach..whats his name?...At one point it seemed to be going rather smoothly with us retaining some nice layovers from the previous regime but lately these names are killing me...oh well, I hope they know what their doing.

snowspot66
01-19-2009, 07:31 AM
As long as he's getting guys that can teach I don't give a damn about the names. Our guys need a lot of instruction. I question, with few exceptions, if any of our previous staff knew what the hell they were doing.

illbroncsfn
01-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Offensively, the coaching staff is rather young at this point minus Dennison and Turner, while the defensive staff seems to be rather veteran w/the very few hires thus far...

As fans we have to realize that this is a demolition job led by "I'm in charge" Bowlen and now his main contractor is the youthful "I love everything Ohio" McDaniels. If we are still having the same tattered conversations about the wretched defense and lack of scoring despite tons of yards offensively next year at this time- very, very bad move by Bowlen to can Shanny, but realistically all we can do is wait...

Broncoman13
01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I still think he should hire a lingerie model to be the "fluffer" :~ohyah!:

That was an easy fix for ya... no thanks necessary, just happy to help.

fontaine
01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Offensively, the coaching staff is rather young at this point minus Dennison and Turner, while the defensive staff seems to be rather veteran w/the very few hires thus far...

As fans we have to realize that this is a demolition job led by "I'm in charge" Bowlen and now his main contractor is the youthful "I love everything Ohio" McDaniels. If we are still having the same tattered conversations about the wretched defense and lack of scoring despite tons of yards offensively next year at this time- very, very bad move by Bowlen to can Shanny, but realistically all we can do is wait...

Why? Was Shanahan on the brink of putting together an elite defense all of a sudden?

I think it was far more likely that Shanahan the GM would have "addressed" the defense in his usual manner of stringing together a few street free agents, and signing some worn and washed up DL.

Inkana7
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Not when we had Pittman or Hillis running the ball. This idea that we can't score is ridiculous. We had 7 RBs on IR and had to rely on the passing game because of our inconsistency on the ground. Once we have stability at the runningback position, we'll have a top 5 scoring offense easy.

While I agree that our offense was better with Hillis in, our scoring was still average. We scored 24, 10, 34 and 14 points with Hillis starting and playing.

illbroncsfn
01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Why? Was Shanahan on the brink of putting together an elite defense all of a sudden?

I think it was far more likely that Shanahan the GM would have "addressed" the defense in his usual manner of stringing together a few street free agents, and signing some worn and washed up DL.

Shanny was absolutely not on the brink of putting together a stout D- we were however on the brink of becoming one of if not the best offenses in the league- w/a franchise LT and QB in their first year together, and if our offense drops, especially scoring/game- the McDaniels hire would have to be questioned....lets hope the scoring improves because quite honestly yards/game is not the most accurate way to measure an offense IMHO.

Pick Six
01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
In the meeting room with Jay:

"Alright, dammit...we're going to start out the game running Red Right, 24 Genesis"

"Genesis?"

"Yes...Genesis, how can you be deaf with ears like that?"

Dammit, Jim. I'm a doctor, not a cactus!:wave:

2KBack
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Shanny was absolutely not on the brink of putting together a stout D- we were however on the brink of becoming one of if not the best offenses in the league- w/a franchise LT and QB in their first year together, and if our offense drops, especially scoring/game- the McDaniels hire would have to be questioned....lets hope the scoring improves because quite honestly yards/game is not the most accurate way to measure an offense IMHO.

It's more than possible that Denvers scoring could jump up to #12, but if people see that the yards drop from #2, people will bitch.

Sad really

Ninjatime
01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
we were 16th in scoring last year, that has to improve fan boy

We lost 7 runningbacks shortstack.

tsiguy96
01-19-2009, 12:36 PM

offense does not win championships, defense does. i dont think shanny realized that. there is a reason pittsburgh is likely a 8-10 pt favorite to win in 2 weeks, and its not because they have a great offense.

how anyone can ever complain about getting nolan as a DC is beyond me. do they realize who weve had before?

TheReverend
01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
We lost 7 runningbacks shortstack.

...and last in the league in takeaways by a dramatic margin.

Lolad
01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
offense does not win championships, defense does. i dont think shanny realized that. there is a reason pittsburgh is likely a 8-10 pt favorite to win in 2 weeks, and its not because they have a great offense.

how anyone can ever complain about getting nolan as a DC is beyond me. do they realize who weve had before?

I will hold my judgement on Nolan... But for him to bring in a WR coach and a Panthers QB coach just speaks of utter ignorance. What did Delhomme do this year? Oh.. then people will say he sucks... Jake sucked look what Kubiak did to his game.

Name 1 good WR on the 49ers?? The whole point I'm trying to make is that it would seem from my POV that these guys can't develop players. So why are we bringing them in?

tsiguy96
01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I will hold my judgement on Nolan... But for him to bring in a WR coach and a Panthers QB coach just speaks of utter ignorance. What did Delhomme do this year? Oh.. then people will say he sucks... Jake sucked look what Kubiak did to his game.

Name 1 good WR on the 49ers?? The whole point I'm trying to make is that it would seem from my POV that these guys can't develop players. So why are we bringing them in?

the other hokie :)

you could say the same thing for our defense, it was clearly partly coaching but even a great coach wouldnt have gotten our defense ranked above #18-20. jake is not a good QB, does that make the person coaching him bad? 49ers went 4-6 down the stretch and had like 3 starting QBs this year, thats hard for any WR not named calvin.

TD30
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM

Sorry if this has already been covered but Logan asked Adam Schefter this evening on 850 KOA why McDaniels hired both McCoy and Mike Nolan. Schefter said it was because they all have the same agent.

TheDave
01-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered but Logan asked Adam Schefter this evening on 850 KOA why McDaniels hired both McCoy and Mike Nolan. Schefter said it was because they all have the same agent.

Well that's disturbing...

outdoor_miner
01-19-2009, 11:08 PM

You're going to use Plummer as an example of a player that coaches magically improved? Most people thought he sucked as a pure quarterback. Many people liked his fire and his energy (myself included), but he really only had one year where he was able to reign it in and put together a truly solid season. Otherwise, he was a loose cannon. Based on that criteria, Kubiak was a crappy QB coach since he was only successful with Jake for one year.

Same with the wide receivers coach. How can anybody really know how much these positional coaches are doing? Have you seen some glaring fundamental weaknesses in the 49er receiving core? The positional coaches teach technique, but then it is really tough to tell from there what the coaches are responsible for, and what player talent accounts for. Especially for a different team that we don't follow daily.

theAPAOps5
01-19-2009, 11:17 PM

Overreact much, oh wait thats rhetorical.

lex
01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Is this team ever going to run the ball?

SoCalBronco
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM

It's extremely disturbing.

tsiguy96
01-19-2009, 11:55 PM

nope. we kept bobby turner for old times sake.

lex
01-20-2009, 12:29 AM
nope. we kept bobby turner for old times sake.

Why even reply if its going to be that weak?

UberBroncoMan
01-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Why even reply if its going to be that weak?

weak... or week...?!

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 07:13 AM
weak... or week...?!

:spit:

Lex calling someone elses post week is just hilarious.

Broncojef
01-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Here's to grabbing some more half-ass talent and hoping they over achieve to maintain our .500 record, boy those were the days. You guys who have attitude because we were so great and finished so strong really need to wake-up and see our team for what they have been recently. Our offense was nothing special this last year and certainly not worth the love you show them.

cmhargrove
01-20-2009, 07:30 AM

Isn't McDaniels pretty much a 50-50 coach? I think the historic offense of the Patriots is pretty much a 50-50 pass-run balance.

I'm will be pretty excited if I see Hillis line up as our starting TB next year. Pair him up with another talented rookie (like Shonn Greene) and it could be really exciting.

We'll see whay Mickey D thinks about our tailbacks soon enough.

lex
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Isn't McDaniels pretty much a 50-50 coach? I think the historic offense of the Patriots is pretty much a 50-50 pass-run balance.

I'm will be pretty excited if I see Hillis line up as our starting TB next year. Pair him up with another talented rookie (like Shonn Greene) and it could be really exciting.

From what Ive seen out of NE, I see a lot of their running set up by that screen to Welker, which means running out of SG and not base running formations. I just dont think thats enough balance against the good defenses, vs say, running the ball out of base formations. I hope Im wrong.

alkemical
01-20-2009, 08:34 AM

That's the money you could be saving with Geico

theAPAOps5
01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
From what Ive seen out of NE, I see a lot of their running set up by that screen to Welker, which means running out of SG and not base running formations. I just dont think thats enough balance against the good defenses, vs say, running the ball out of base formations. I hope Im wrong.

You almost always are.

outdoor_miner
01-20-2009, 08:52 AM

I can't believe that a guy given his one chance to succeed as a head coach in the NFL would make a decision based solely on something like that. If it's true, it would mean our coach is a complete idiot. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Willynowei
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
If by "gutted" you mean got rid of two offensive assistance, I suppose you're right.

Impressive finish? Last 4 games: 24, 10, 23, 21 points. Hardly impressive. At all. We were dead average in scoring offense.

We lost more runningbacks in a season than someteams do in a decade. We finished top of the league in 3rd down % anyways. Thats impressive.

Its impossible to consistently score in the redzone without a running game. Period.

Willynowei
01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Here's to grabbing some more half-ass talent and hoping they over achieve to maintain our .500 record, boy those were the days. You guys who have attitude because we were so great and finished so strong really need to wake-up and see our team for what they have been recently. Our offense was nothing special this last year and certainly not worth the love you show them.

Look at my posts towards the end of the season, no one was more critical of our offense.

However, you'd have to be blind not to see the direction they were going in. Our passing game was only limited by the youth of our quarterback and we won 8 games with a league bottom defense and no running game.

Willynowei
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Umm... what about Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner? And I love how only "top 2 scoring in the NFL" will do when we were 16th last year. You're not giving the new guy much of a chance.

Having two All Pro tackles, Two Star receivers and a rising gunslinger at quarterback means that your expectations are deservedly high.

Shanahan likely would've had this offense at that level by next year, in fact we very well could've been top two in NFL scoring this year if it wasn't for the way our runningbacks dropped due to injury.

montrose
01-20-2009, 09:23 AM

The Pats passed more than they ran in 2007 (57% pass to 43% to rush) but with Brady's injury in 2008, McDaniels incorporated the run more (51% pass to 49% rush) and the Pats finished 6th in rushing - impressive considering they were using guys like Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk and Benjarvis Green-Ellis. It also shows McDaniels ability to make adjustments in the middle of the season.

One thing about the Patriots running game is that they run many draws and direct RB snaps out of the shotgun. I'd imagine much of that will stay in the playbook, however keeping Dennison and Turner on may mean the Broncos base running game remains the ZBS we've come to know (which the Pats used some last year).

What McDaniels inherits is the first Broncos OL in a decade that can execute the ZBS running game yet straight-pass protect with the great success. That gives him the possibility to take the best of both systems - the old Broncos running game with the Pats passing attack he created.

My guess is that McDaniels will try to stay 50-50 as much as he can early, especially considering Cutler's enormous success when his attempts are kept down - however if our defense doesn't improve much you'll see Cutler's attempts go up and up. With that, I think McDaniels will force many of Cutler's attempts to be safer throws than he had under Shanahan.

Much of their running game was set up by the quick screen to Welker, which I expect Eddie Royal will come to know very well. As I wrote earlier, I think we'll run some out of the shotgun as NE did with Hillis and Alridge (can you say direct snap to Alridge?) but keeping Dennison and Turner on shows me McDaniels will want to incorporate some of the Broncos ZBS running system that's been so successful.

lex
01-20-2009, 09:42 AM
The Pats passed more than they ran in 2007 (57% pass to 43% to rush) but with Brady's injury in 2008, McDaniels incorporated the run more (51% pass to 49% rush) and the Pats finished 6th in rushing - impressive considering they were using guys like Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk and Benjarvis Green-Ellis. It also shows McDaniels ability to make adjustments in the middle of the season.

One thing about the Patriots running game is that they run many draws and direct RB snaps out of the shotgun. I'd imagine much of that will stay in the playbook, however keeping Dennison and Turner on may mean the Broncos base running game remains the ZBS we've come to know (which the Pats used some last year).

What McDaniels inherits is the first Broncos OL in a decade that can execute the ZBS running game yet straight-pass protect with the great success. That gives him the possibility to take the best of both systems - the old Broncos running game with the Pats passing attack he created.

My guess is that McDaniels will try to stay 50-50 as much as he can early, especially considering Cutler's enormous success when his attempts are kept down - however if our defense doesn't improve much you'll see Cutler's attempts go up and up. With that, I think McDaniels will force many of Cutler's attempts to be safer throws than he had under Shanahan.

Much of their running game was set up by the quick screen to Welker, which I expect Eddie Royal will come to know very well. As I wrote earlier, I think we'll run some out of the shotgun as NE did with Hillis and Alridge (can you say direct snap to Alridge?) but keeping Dennison and Turner on shows me McDaniels will want to incorporate some of the Broncos ZBS running system that's been so successful.

I think they would be better off running out of base formations when it comes to facing the better teams.

montrose
01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I think they would be better off running out of base formations when it comes to facing the better teams.

I'm sure they'll run out of whatever formations give them the best chance that week. One of McDaniels' greatest strengths was adjusting and adapting on the fly (throughout a game or season). I do believe that Hillis and Alridge are going to be big parts of our offense.

lex
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm sure they'll run out of whatever formations give them the best chance that week. One of McDaniels' greatest strengths was adjusting and adapting on the fly (throughout a game or season). I do believe that Hillis and Alridge are going to be big parts of our offense.

Im not convinced that the running game will be dedicated enough. Rather working your offense around what one opponents struggle against, it would be better to focus on an offense that all opponents would struggle against and the best way to do that is to cultivate the running game out of base formations.

Kaylore
01-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Why don't you guys listen to the interview first before you all have a cow. He was asked what the common denominator between all the new hires was and Schefter said they have the same agent. He never said they got the job because they had the same agent.

Here's what was said:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/DENVER-CO/KOA2-IP/1-19-09%20Adam%20Schefter%20on%20TRH.mp3

TheReverend
01-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Why don't you guys listen to the interview first before you all have a cow. He was asked what the common denominator between all the new hires was and Schefter said they have the same agent. He never said they got the job because they had the same agent.

Here's what was said:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/DENVER-CO/KOA2-IP/1-19-09%20Adam%20Schefter%20on%20TRH.mp3

It's just a modicum of reading between the lines, Khan. If they were, in fact, hired because they had the same agent, then some ****ing beheadings need to happen in Dove Valley. The simple fact that they all had the same agent is mildly coincidental and will be cause for concern for people.

Kaylore
01-20-2009, 11:09 AM
It's just a modicum of reading between the lines, Khan. If they were, in fact, hired because they had the same agent, then some ****ing beheadings need to happen in Dove Valley. The simple fact that they all had the same agent is mildly coincidental and will be cause for concern for people.

Much ado about nothing.

bronclvr
01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Doesn't look like Panther Fans are broken up about it-

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/6137-mccoy-leaves-denver.html

montrose
01-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Im not convinced that the running game will be dedicated enough. Rather working your offense around what one opponents struggle against, it would be better to focus on an offense that all opponents would struggle against and the best way to do that is to cultivate the running game out of base formations.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I have confidence that McDaniels will put the offense in good situations.