PDA

View Full Version : Larry Fitzgerald best in the NFL???

Tankgunner95
01-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Curious I asked this question in another thread, but curious if anyone thought he was the best. I really dont know if he is the BEST, but he has to be one of the best. Who's better????

ludo21
01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
At the moment, I can't think of one WR I would rather have than Fitz. He is amazing.

I hope Marshall is watching those hands Fitz has and is serious about working on his own.

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 04:48 PM
The dude has awesome balance he seems to be knocked around and still stays on his feet.

frerottenextelway
01-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Poor Andre Johnson always gets forgotten.

Tankgunner95
01-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Good Call on Andre Johnson but I think Fitz got him beat, wonder if BMarshall could learn a little something from Fitz such as run up the field not side to side, how many times did BMarshall do that this year, I think he did it just to piss me off!!!

Popps
01-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Poor Andre Johnson always gets forgotten.

Johnson had a great season, no doubt... but what Fitzgerald is doing right now is just mind-boggling.

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Johnson had a great season, no doubt... but what Fitzgerald is doing right now is just mind-boggling.

It's jerry rice-ish..

tsiguy96
01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
andre johnson on a better team would unquestionably be the best. they dont make teh playoffs so hes never considered.

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Fitzgerald the best for now, I guess ... but it's not like Andre Johnson had Kurt Warner throwing to him, either. Anquan Boldin is on par with him, truth be told ... Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Terrell Owens, even Wes Welker are on par, too, and Calvin Johnson is just a step behind. Maybe even TJ Houshmandzadeh. Fitzgerald is just the hottest of them all, with the best QB throwing to him.

Today he was best ... by a small marrgin over that Celek kid for the Eagles. Truth is truth.

Tankgunner95
01-18-2009, 05:01 PM
IMO.... Fitz is playing with HEART, Im sure everyone was watching, the man was crying on the sidelines, you could tell he wanted it, and when the running back scored Fitz jumped about 6 ft in the air, I think he coule be the best WR who is a team player

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
IMO.... Fitz is playing with HEART, Im sure everyone was watching, the man was crying on the sidelines, you could tell he wanted it, and when the running back scored Fitz jumped about 6 ft in the air, I think he coule be the best WR who is a team player

He reminds me of his mentor chris carter.

rovolution
01-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Fitz has looked just unbelievable in the playoffs. He looking Jerry Rice-esque.

Hotwheelz
01-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Megatron.

Gort
01-18-2009, 05:14 PM
ashlie lelie

if you don't believe me, just ask him. Ha!

lod01
01-18-2009, 05:16 PM
He's #3. Calvin Johnson, at #1, had 100 yards less and the same # of TD's as Fitz with NO QB. There is currently no one even close to Calvin Johnson.

Andre Johnson is #2.

Tankgunner95
01-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I dont think soooo Calvin Johnson, has not carried a team on his back, like Fitz did tonight. Come on now

tsiguy96
01-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I dont think soooo Calvin Johnson, has not carried a team on his back, like Fitz did tonight. Come on now

are you kidding? he had like 1400 yards on a team with zero offensive or defensive weapons outside of him. bad running backs, bad o line, bad receivers, and then there is calvin, who shined against nearly everyone he played against. a receiver is not capable of taking over a game as they need someone to be able to get them hte ball first.

footstepsfrom#27
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
He reminds me of his mentor chris carter.
Carter also mentored B-Marsh.

Tankgunner95
01-18-2009, 06:05 PM
All I am saying is there is not a WR out there that could have out played Fitz tonight, no one not Calvin, not BM, not anyone, he play a dominate role in the Cards win!!!

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 06:09 PM

Go figure but fitz was the ball boy for the vikings.

Killericon
01-18-2009, 06:16 PM

And Randy Moss.

Someone should hire the guy to be a receivers coach.

McDman
01-18-2009, 06:34 PM
He's #3. Calvin Johnson, at #1, had 100 yards less and the same # of TD's as Fitz with NO QB. There is currently no one even close to Calvin Johnson.

Andre Johnson is #2.

You've got to remember the Cardinals also have Bolden, without him Fitz gets a ton more tds, catches, and yards.

MechanicalBull
01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
You've got to remember the Cardinals also have Bolden, without him Fitz gets a ton more tds, catches, and yards.

Fitz is amazing but without Boldin he'd probably be double teamed more.

I'd take Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson they are both so good.

Tankgunner95
01-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Boldin did not play in the second half did he, I dont think so, NOT being a smarta$$ just curious if anyone saw him on the field the second half.

Im taking Fitz or BMarshal and Calvin...:yayaya:

MechanicalBull
01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Boldin did not play in the second half did he, I dont think so, NOT being a smarta$$ just curious if anyone saw him on the field the second half.

I know he was in and out and he was arguing on the sideline. Philly also had the ball most of the 3rd qtr so I'm not really sure.

I wasn't saying Fitz isn't good without Boldin and was just stating that Boldin does help him. He is a great wr no matter what.

Gcver2ver3
01-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Fitz is undoubtably the best WR in the game right now...

To the poster saying Andre Johnson gets overlooked, that's not true at all...most everyone i know had AJ as the games best and i've seen many analysis say the same...

but these playoffs have shown Fitz ascend to another level...

he is shattering Jerry Rice's yds in postseason mark...

plus for anyone saying Boldin frees up Fitz from double coverages, don't forget Fitz destroyed carolina without Boldin playing that game...

Fitz can't be stopped...no one is better than him at this moment...

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Kinda like he was without Boldin against the Panthers when he lit them up for 8 catches, 166 yards and a TD?

TonyR
01-18-2009, 07:34 PM

To the poster saying Andre Johnson gets overlooked, that's not true at all...most everyone i know had AJ as the games best and i've seen many analysis say the same...

plus for anyone saying Boldin frees up Fitz from double coverages, don't forget Fitz destroyed carolina without Boldin playing that game...

Agree. And anyone who doesn't see this must not have watched today's game because that guy is a beast. He made it look easy against one of the better defensive backfields in the league.

bronco0608
01-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Fitzgerald has vision that is superior to other human beings.

I think it was during the draft.

McDman
01-18-2009, 07:59 PM

Man I love Brandon and everything, but I just don't think he's in the top five even. He doesn't run the best routes and as we've all seen he has dropped quite a few passes. Maybe in a couple of years he will be up there, but not now.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Top receivers in the NFL:

1. L. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. C. Johnson
4. R. Moss
5. A. Boldin
6. B. Marshall
7. S. Smith
8. R. Wayne
9. T. Holt
10. T. Owens

socalorado
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Isnt it great watching a guy hit his "stride" the way Fitz is right now?
These are the players that the odds makers dont put into the equation when making the spread and selecting their "winner". Big mistake.
Whole new ballgame when a team is running like a fine tuned machine.
I think this game will be another really fun game to watch!
We as fans should be so fortunate these last years since our DENVER BRONCOS re-started the tradition of GREAT Super bowls to watch!!!

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM

1. L. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. C. Johnson
4. R. Moss
5. A. Boldin
6. B. Marshall
7. S. Smith
8. R. Wayne
9. T. Holt
10. T. Owens

Put Smith and Wayne above Marshall. Take Holt and Owens off the list. No Wes Welker?

socalorado
01-18-2009, 08:10 PM

1. L. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. C. Johnson
4. R. Moss
5. A. Boldin
6. B. Marshall
7. S. Smith
8. R. Wayne
9. T. Holt
10. T. Owens
10B E. Royal :strong:

mr007
01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Put Smith and Wayne above Marshall. Take Holt and Owens off the list. No Wes Welker?

Wes Welker is not a top 10 receiver. He's a freakin' slot receiver that happens to get a lot of balls thrown his way due to the way the offense is run. He's the best slot receiver in the game, but definitely not a top 10 receiver.

TonyR
01-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Yes, and Greg Jennings and Roddy White also belong in the conversation.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Wes Welker is not a top 10 receiver. He's a freakin' slot receiver that happens to get a lot of balls thrown his way due to the way the offense is run. He's the best slot receiver in the game, but definitely not a top 10 receiver.

The people who vote for the All-Pro rosters disagree with you. Wes Welker caught 111 and 112 balls the past two years, despite being thrown to probably less than Terrell Owens. He gets open and gets YAC. Period.

TonyR
01-18-2009, 08:20 PM
10B E. Royal :strong:

Maybe/hopefully next year, but not this year.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 08:21 PM

I totally forgot about Roddy White. He's a top-5 receiver, IMO. He had 1,200 yards last year with Chris Redman throwing the ball.

mr007
01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
The people who vote for the All-Pro rosters disagree with you. Wes Welker caught 111 and 112 balls the past two years, despite being thrown to probably less than Terrell Owens. He gets open and gets YAC. Period.

He is not a top-10 #1 WR threat regardless of the team he plays for. Sorry man, I like Welker and all, but he catches that many passes due to his role in the offense and being good in the slot. He's simply not in the upper echelon of #1 receivers.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
He is not a top-10 #1 WR threat regardless of the team he plays for. Sorry man, I like Welker and all, but he catches that many passes due to his role in the offense and being good in the slot. He's simply not in the upper echelon of #1 receivers.

I don't see why not. Playing Wide Receiver is about getting open, making the catch, and getting first downs. He's been 1st and 2nd in the NFL in catches the last 2 seasons, and I'd bet he's at the top in first downs.

Eddie Royal's going to be playing the Welker role in the offense next year. If he gets 110 catches, are you not going to be saying he's an upper echelon receiver?

mr007
01-18-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't see why not. Playing Wide Receiver is about getting open, making the catch, and getting first downs. He's been 1st and 2nd in the NFL in catches the last 2 seasons, and I'd bet he's at the top in first downs.

Eddie Royal's going to be playing the Welker role in the offense next year. If he gets 110 catches, are you not going to be saying he's an upper echelon receiver?

Catches don't necessarily indicate overall talent as a receiver. Even though he is top 5 in receptions, he's about 80th in yards per catch... pretty sure Tomlinson caught 100 some balls a few years back, that doesn't make him a top tier receiving talent.

Like I said before, he is not a #1 receiver, period (which is why he plays in the slot). He doesn't command the attention that a Moss or Owens or Fitz does and never will even though he gets a ton of balls thrown his way.

And yeah, if Eddie catches 110 balls, I'm not going to automatically crown him a top 10 receiver. We can agree to disagree, it's not a big deal, but if you think Welker would catch anywhere close to the balls he is now being a #1, you're mistaken.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Catches don't necessarily indicate overall talent as a receiver. Even though he is top 5 in receptions, he's about 80th in yards per catch... pretty sure Tomlinson caught 100 some balls a few years back, that doesn't make him a top tier receiving talent.

Like I said before, he is not a #1 receiver, period (which is why he plays in the slot). He doesn't command the attention that a Moss or Owens or Fitz does and never will even though he gets a ton of balls thrown his way.

And yeah, if Eddie catches 110 balls, I'm not going to automatically crown him a top 10 receiver. We can agree to disagree, it's not a big deal, but if you think Welker would catch anywhere close to the balls he is now being a #1, you're mistaken.

Catches indicate how well a receiver gets open. We can agree to disagree, but I think that Wes Welker is one of the hardest to cover receivers in the NFL. He's so damn quick.

cabronco
01-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Fitzgerald has vision that is superior to other human beings.

I think it was during the draft.

I know he wears contact lenses. ???

AbileneBroncoFan
01-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I put Marshall above Smith and Wayne based on his "freak" ability. He doesn't run as good of routes or have as good of hands, but he is probably the best at running after the catch in the game. I have no problem with anyone who puts him below Smith or Wayne though.

I forgot about White and Jennings. I just made this list off the top of my head, but they are definitely on it. I personally don't think TO is very good, but I wanted to get some debate going about him.

I wouldn't say Royal is 10B going forward (this list is more about if I could add one guy to my team to win a game tomorrow), but I will say he was the most consistent receiver on the Denver Broncos last season. And will certainly be on the list sooner rather than later. He has good hands (inconsistent, but he is a rookie and will get better), outstanding speed, and is the best route runner I've ever seen by a rookie. Very promising.

Wes Welker? Seriously? I do not understand the infatuation with him. What has he done anywhere but NE, or without Randy Moss? Would anyone here trade Marshall for Welker straight up? Moss for Welker? Fitz for Welker? Either Johnson for Welker? Not even close. I wouldn't trade Royal for Welker. Put it this way, on 4th and goal, I guarantee you the Patriots are going to go to Moss before they'd go to Welker. He's a great player, but you are kidding yourself if you think he is one of the top 10 receivers in the NFL.

16-JakE-16
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM

Steve Smith is a top 3 receiver. He really can't be covered.

NFLBRONCO
01-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Marshall and Royal should be on the list. Its not THEIR fault they only get 1 offense series a quarter because the D can get off the field EVER.

ZONA
01-18-2009, 10:53 PM

No they don't. Good players for sure but not in the conversation about the best WR's in the league.

Drek
01-19-2009, 03:56 AM

1. L. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. C. Johnson
4. R. Moss
5. A. Boldin
6. B. Marshall
7. S. Smith
8. R. Wayne
9. T. Holt
10. T. Owens

I'd reorganize it to:
1. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. S. Smith
4. R. Moss
5. B. Marshall
6. C. Johnson
7. R. Wayne
8. A. Boldin
9. T. Holt
10. T. Owens

But thats my personal take of course.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-19-2009, 04:16 AM
I'd reorganize it to:
1. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. S. Smith
4. R. Moss
5. B. Marshall
6. C. Johnson
7. R. Wayne
8. A. Boldin
9. T. Holt
10. T. Owens

But thats my personal take of course.

I've decided to bump owens in favor of Roddy White. New list:

1. L. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. C. Johnson
4. R. Moss
5. A. Boldin
6. B. Marshall
7. S. Smith
8. R. Wayne
9. T. Holt
10. R. White

And in good fun here's my QB list:

1. P. Manning
1. T. Brady
3. K. Warner
4. B. Roethlisberger
5. J. Cutler
6. D. Brees
7. D. McNabb
8. P. Rivers
9. M. Ryan
10. C. Pennington
honorable mention: E. Manning and D. Garrard

I fully expect Cutler to jump to 3 on this list next year, and to the top when we win some Super Bowls over the next 2 years. Imo, after Manning and Brady get older and then retire, the debate over best in the NFL will come down to Cutler and Ryan. Hopefully we will get some epic Super Bowl battles between them.

Tankgunner95
01-19-2009, 05:02 AM
I've decided to bump owens in favor of Roddy White. New list:

1. L. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. C. Johnson
4. R. Moss
5. A. Boldin
6. B. Marshall
7. S. Smith
8. R. Wayne
9. T. Holt
10. R. White

And in good fun here's my QB list:

1. P. Manning
1. T. Brady
3. K. Warner
4. B. Roethlisberger
5. J. Cutler
6. D. Brees
7. D. McNabb
8. P. Rivers
9. M. Ryan
10. C. Pennington
honorable mention: E. Manning and D. Garrard

I fully expect Cutler to jump to 3 on this list next year, and to the top when we win some Super Bowls over the next 2 years. Imo, after Manning and Brady get older and then retire, the debate over best in the NFL will come down to Cutler and Ryan. Hopefully we will get some epic Super Bowl battles between them.

I hate to say this but to be honest with you, Right now, D. Brees and P. Rivers, above Big Cut, I think most on here would agree with me, not speaking as bronco fans, just speaking as football fans. Now after this year I do agree Cutler will make a jump just not sure how far.

Mediator12
01-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I saw every single one of these guys play every game this year. This is how they looked this year:

1. Larry Fitzgerald- Most consistent WR in game today, pretty much uncoverable and big play guy.
2. Andre Johnson- Most talented WR in game today, Made plays when given the chance, and catches almost everything.
3. Anquan Boldin-Toughest Assignment, matchup nightmare, game breaker, but injured too often to rank higher
4. Steve Smith-Scariest WR to cover, consistent, and Game breaker
5. Roddy White-Gets open against all kinds of coverage, consistent, and game breaking skills.
6. Reggie Wayne-Second most consistent WR in game, impossible to cover one on one, game breaker
7. Calvin Johnson-Second most talented, but still very rough skills, hands, and routes, consistency drops him here
8. Antonio Bryant-Breakout year with horrible pass offense and no help, gamebreaker, consistency drops him here
9. Brandon Marshall-Highly talented and most targeted WR, still too inconsistent to rate higher with drops
10. Greg Jennings-Breakout year, gamebreaker, but was nowhere near as good down the stretch

That is based on performance, not talent. That leads guys who were close like Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Terrell Owens, and Houshmanzadeh off the list, but might overtake someone on talent versus production. However, I think Owens usefulness is declining heavily. He caught less than 50% of the balls thrown to him and is still whining in DAL with that offense.

There is a ton of factors outside of numbers that go into these rankings, but here is how I did it:

1. Consistency-Routinely made plays every game.
2. Uncoverable-Matchup nightmare against any coverage, caught balls versus any coverage. Think of this as gameplan changing Factor.
3. Gamebreaking ability-Made game changing plays
4. Stats-How much did they produce on the field when given the chance. Includes catch %, YAC, and Drops.

McDman
01-19-2009, 07:08 AM
I saw every single one of these guys play every game this year. This is how they looked this year:

1. Larry Fitzgerald- Most consistent WR in game today, pretty much uncoverable and big play guy.
2. Andre Johnson- Most talented WR in game today, Made plays when given the chance, and catches almost everything.
3. Anquan Boldin-Toughest Assignment, matchup nightmare, game breaker, but injured too often to rank higher
5. Roddy White-Gets open against all kinds of coverage, consistent, and game breaking skills.
6. Reggie Wayne-Second most consistent WR in game, impossible to cover one on one, game breaker
7. Calvin Johnson-Second most talented, but still very rough skills, hands, and routes, consistency drops him here
8. Antonio Bryant-Breakout year with horrible pass offense and no help, gamebreaker, consistency drops him here
9. Brandon Marshall-Highly talented and most targeted WR, still too inconsistent to rate higher with drops
10. Greg Jennings-Breakout year, gamebreaker, but was nowhere near as good down the stretch

Best list so far, a lot of people on here are giving Marshall to much credit.

Gcver2ver3
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM

I agree with Owens and Holt...

But Welker is not top 10 material...

My 10

1 Fitz
2 Andre Johnson
3 Calvin Johnson
4 Smith
5 Boldin
6 Wayne
7 Marshall
8 White
9 Moss
10 Jennings

TheReverend
01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Right now? Absolutely.

Best receiver is a flavor of the month, though.

A few weeks ago it was Andre Johnson. Last year it was Randy Moss. Before that Steve Smith. We even had a period where it was Chad Johnson. TO was killin it before that.

There's a top tier where anyone of them CAN be the "Best WR" dependent on opportunity, preparation and a little bit of a hot streak. I'd say the current contenders are:

Moss, Fitz, Boldin, Smith, A Johnson, Calvin Johnson, TO can still play, Marshall, Roddy White (because of growth from Ryan) and probably a couple we haven't even heard of.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I hate to say this but to be honest with you, Right now, D. Brees and P. Rivers, above Big Cut, I think most on here would agree with me, not speaking as bronco fans, just speaking as football fans. Now after this year I do agree Cutler will make a jump just not sure how far.

I respectfully disagree. Rivers isn't as good as Cutler. Brees has a case. But I made the list as the order I would take the guys if I'm down 24-20 on my own 20 with 2 minutes to go. Cutler is outstanding at moving within the pocket and throwing strikes 10+ yards down the field. He's the type that always gives you a chance to win. That's why I think he will be an elite QB in the league for many years.

And to the guy that put Antonio Bryant in the top 10, I seriously considered doing that, but I wanted to see more than one good, consistent year out of him. Torry Holt is still in the top 10. Ask any scout about Holt and they would take him on their team in a heartbeat.

Killericon
01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
That is based on performance, not talent. That leads guys who were close like Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Terrell Owens, and Houshmanzadeh off the list, but might overtake someone on talent versus production.

Welker is more talented than his production is letting on? He's has 110+ catches for the past 2 seasons.

Tankgunner95
01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I respectfully disagree. Rivers isn't as good as Cutler. Brees has a case. But I made the list as the order I would take the guys if I'm down 24-20 on my own 20 with 2 minutes to go. Cutler is outstanding at moving within the pocket and throwing strikes 10+ yards down the field. He's the type that always gives you a chance to win. That's why I think he will be an elite QB in the league for many years.

And to the guy that put Antonio Bryant in the top 10, I seriously considered doing that, but I wanted to see more than one good, consistent year out of him. Torry Holt is still in the top 10. Ask any scout about Holt and they would take him on their team in a heartbeat.

Like I said, I think next year or the year after Cutler will be better then Rivers, Rivers is one hell of a QB and if he did not have such an attitude toward everyone not just the broncos he woule be on almost everyone top 5 qb list. But he talks trash/sh!t all the time, I think his attitude is his main problem he has the skills IMO but if he does not get respect from peers then he just another QB, but....... then again you may be right Cutler could be better then him right now. Time will tell which is better, but right now IMO Rivers has a leg up on Cutler

Rock Chalk
01-19-2009, 04:12 PM

1. L. Fitzgerald
2. A. Johnson
3. C. Johnson
4. R. Moss
5. A. Boldin
6. B. Marshall
7. S. Smith
8. R. Wayne
9. T. Holt
10. T. Owens

Thats a pretty good list. Moss might be a bit high. Without SuperStar Tom Brady chucking him the ball he put up rather pedestrian numbers, meanwhile Wes Welker continued to shine under the same conditions.

Boldin and B Marsh are a wash IMO. Boldin has better hands though, but I think B Marsh is better in the open field.

Rock Chalk
01-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Maybe, but he isnt elite yet.

Rivers IS elite. When his team needed him to make plays down the stretch this year, he made them and more. When our team needed Cutler to not throw stupid ****ing end zone picks, he did just that.

You can say what you want but until Cutler leads the team to the playoffs, puts the team on his back and WINS games despite having a bad defense, he isnt elite. Peyton got to the playoffs year after year with one of the worst defenses the league has ever seen. Sure he went 1 and done a few but he got his team there. THAT is elite. Cutler isnt even close....yet.

SouthStndJunkie
01-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Here is my Top Ten WR list:

1: Larry Fitzgerald
2: Andre Johnson
3: Steve Smith
4: Anquan Boldin
5: Calvin Johnson
6: Brandon Marshall
7: Randy Moss
8: Roddy White
9: Greg Jennings
10: Reggie Wayne

rubaiyat
01-19-2009, 05:05 PM

That's cause Carolina stubbornly refused to get him out of the game. They tried, but there is almost no one else to worry about other than Fitz in that game.

UboBronco
01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
I guess I look at things in a different way.... Who would I trade either Marshall or Royal for...

Fitz.... My opinion, best WR today
Andre Johnson... Only worry is he is injured alot
Steve Smith... Look what he did to us...
Calvin Johnson... I still believe he is freak

After that, with the age and the possibility of fitting together to make agreat unit, I would stick with Marshall and Royal..

Only other thought, is I may trade Marshalll if we could get Michael Crabtree.. I think he is Marshall style, just more consistant in catching the ball. We are set up for a great passing offense with Jay, and the tight ends, that is why McDaniels was so willing to come to Denver in my opinion.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Rivers IS elite. When his team needed him to make plays down the stretch this year, he made them and more. When our team needed Cutler to not throw stupid ****ing end zone picks, he did just that.

You can say what you want but until Cutler leads the team to the playoffs, puts the team on his back and WINS games despite having a bad defense, he isnt elite. Peyton got to the playoffs year after year with one of the worst defenses the league has ever seen. Sure he went 1 and done a few but he got his team there. THAT is elite. Cutler isnt even close....yet.

How many games would SD have won this year if LT and Sproles were out for the season, and Rivers had to come out in shotgun 4 and 5 wides on 90% of the snaps? And need a remind you before this year, Cutler was the best in the NFL at not throwing redzone picks. Why did he throw so many this year? Maybe because he knew, as well as every other person in America, that playing it safe and taking a field goal would get us nowhere. With our d, field goals did us absolutely no good. Idt taking 3 would've made much difference in a 52-21 beat down.

Manning had better defenses than we do. They at least forced turnovers. We are legitimately the worst NFL defense I have ever seen, bar none. We didn't do one thing well. Well, we did a pretty good job of overpursuing and celebrating when we made a stop, even though we had already given up a gajillion points by that point.

tsiguy96
01-19-2009, 05:35 PM

are you kidding me?

cutler WAS the team. the receivers dropped balls all day long, i think we led the league, we had 7 starting running backs, i honestly would not be surprised if thats an NFL record, we had the 2nd worst defense in the league. the other team went 0-16, yet we still allowed near an NFL history low turnovers. despite all of that we had a .500 season. the defense was on the field all day and when they werent teams KNEW we were throwing the ball, yet jay still killed the franchise yardage record. how is that NOT a success?

give cutler some breathing room and maybe hell stand a chance, if not morons like you will run him out of this city.

Rashid242
01-19-2009, 11:15 PM

That is based on performance, not talent. That leads guys who were close like Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Terrell Owens, and Houshmanzadeh off the list, but might overtake someone on talent versus production. However, I think Owens usefulness is declining heavily. He caught less than 50% of the balls thrown to him and is still whining in DAL with that offense.

There is a ton of factors outside of numbers that go into these rankings, but here is how I did it:

2. Uncoverable-Matchup nightmare against any coverage, caught balls versus any coverage. Think of this as gameplan changing Factor.
4. Stats-How much did they produce on the field when given the chance. Includes catch %, YAC, and Drops.

Question 2,3,4 over the course of their careers goes to Randy Moss period.

I don't think Randy plays as hungry consistently as his Viking days. That's even including last year with 1500 yards & 23 TD's.

This time next year or i'll say at least at the end of December. Everybody will be jumping back on Randy's bandwagon when he finishes up with another plus 17 or 18 TD's.

Hell had had 11 TD's on 68 grabs. That's one less TD then Fitzgerald despite almost 40 less grabs.

1. Andre Johnson- does everything as well as Fitzgerald but is faster.
2. Steve Smith- fast & little but plays big. my favorite besides Moss.
3. Randy Moss- Still the most feared receiver in football. I thought that
change this year but the Patriots still got majority of Cover 2 with Cassel at QB. They ain't doing that for Welker.
4. Fitzgerald- The amazing playoff run doesn't change my mind. Doesn't run
as well as the others but is right there.

boltaneer
01-20-2009, 04:09 AM

This is the best list I've read on here. My only complaints would be Bryant and Roddy White. Bryant came out of nowhere to have a great year but no way am I putting him in a top ten WR list.

Roddy White has become a great WR. I would drop him to at least 10 though.

Peoples Champ
01-20-2009, 07:09 AM
I am a big bandwagoner for WR's. Usually I change my mind who is the best WR based on how hot they are or how good they are playing currently. But that what opinions are for.

So having said that, I would say Yes, Fitzgerald is the best right now. And last year I was saying Randy Moss. And a small portion of the end of this year I was saying Steve Smith.

I have to throw out Santonio Holmes too, that guy is tearing it up. Its pretty hard for me to ever Crown a #1 at a position. Usually I am split between 2 or 3 players. Like Safety. I was saying Ed Reed all year long, but Troy Palumalo is becoming a closer second every game. He is crazy out there.

Peoples Champ
01-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I am a big bandwagoner for WR's. Usually I change my mind who is the best WR based on how hot they are or how good they are playing currently. But that what opinions are for.

So having said that, I would say Yes, Fitzgerald is the best right now. And last year I was saying Randy Moss. And a small portion of the end of this year I was saying Steve Smith.

I have to throw out Santonio Holmes too, that guy is tearing it up. Its pretty hard for me to ever Crown a #1 at a position. Usually I am split between 2 or 3 players. Like Safety. I was saying Ed Reed all year long, but Troy Palumalo is becoming a closer second every game. He is crazy out there.

I forgot about Andre Johnson too, he had a monster year.

Mediator12
01-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Question 2,3,4 over the course of their careers goes to Randy Moss period.

I don't think Randy plays as hungry consistently as his Viking days. That's even including last year with 1500 yards & 23 TD's.

This time next year or i'll say at least at the end of December. Everybody will be jumping back on Randy's bandwagon when he finishes up with another plus 17 or 18 TD's.

Hell had had 11 TD's on 68 grabs. That's one less TD then Fitzgerald despite almost 40 less grabs.

1. Andre Johnson- does everything as well as Fitzgerald but is faster.
2. Steve Smith- fast & little but plays big. my favorite besides Moss.
3. Randy Moss- Still the most feared receiver in football. I thought that
change this year but the Patriots still got majority of Cover 2 with Cassel at QB. They ain't doing that for Welker.
4. Fitzgerald- The amazing playoff run doesn't change my mind. Doesn't run
as well as the others but is right there.

Except, this is not a career list or I would have mentioned Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, and Marvin Harrison.

This is a how did you perform this year list, which is why Moss is off it altogether. He was wildy inconsistent and scored half his TD's in 2 games against awful opposition.

As for Fitz not running as well as the others, that may have been true in the past seasons, but this year he developed a terrific knack in the intermediate range that none of the guys you mentioned have. He might be the best intermediate route runner outside of Reggie Wayne.

I like Moss still and Welker as well, but neither were a #1WR consistent threat. They did not fit well with the criteria and therefore I did not Squeeze them into the list.

Mediator12
01-20-2009, 07:51 AM
This is the best list I've read on here. My only complaints would be Bryant and Roddy White. Bryant came out of nowhere to have a great year but no way am I putting him in a top ten WR list.

Roddy White has become a great WR. I would drop him to at least 10 though.

Talent wise, I would agree with you. Production and situation wise this year they deserve those rankings comparatively. Matt Ryan has zero success in ATL if Roddy White could not beat double teams in pass coverage. Michael Turner benefitted heavily from the threat of a deep passing game with White.

Antonio Bryant had an incredible year, and was responsible for almost 40% of Tampa's Passing offense. Down the stretch, he had his best games of the year with it all on the line. And this is after sitting out last year and Playing with dink and dunk Gruden and Garcia! He played as well as any WR in DEC and that included Fitz and Johnson. His complete body of work was not as solid as those 2 however, which is why he is ranked where he was.

I graded them all out with emphasis on down the stretch play. Another reason Marshall was lower than most here would like.

Beantown Bronco
01-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Marshall and Royal should be on the list. Its not THEIR fault they only get 1 offense series a quarter because the D can get off the field EVER.

OMane myth.

The defense was certainly bad, but not bad enough to keep the offense from being 8th in the league in # of offensive plays run.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=TM&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=SCRIMMAGE_PLAYS&d-447263-n=1

400HZ
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Talent wise, I would agree with you. Production and situation wise this year they deserve those rankings comparatively. Matt Ryan has zero success in ATL if Roddy White could not beat double teams in pass coverage. Michael Turner benefitted heavily from the threat of a deep passing game with White.

Antonio Bryant had an incredible year, and was responsible for almost 40% of Tampa's Passing offense. Down the stretch, he had his best games of the year with it all on the line. And this is after sitting out last year and Playing with dink and dunk Gruden and Garcia! He played as well as any WR in DEC and that included Fitz and Johnson. His complete body of work was not as solid as those 2 however, which is why he is ranked where he was.

I graded them all out with emphasis on down the stretch play. Another reason Marshall was lower than most here would like.

I'd grade White higher if he hadn't dropped the game winning touchdown against Denver. thwack

Peoples Champ
01-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I'd grade White higher if he hadn't dropped the game winning touchdown against Denver. thwack

He made up for it by catching a game winning touchdown with one hand, and might win an ESPY for best play of the year.

Rashid242
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Except, this is not a career list or I would have mentioned Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, and Marvin Harrison.

This is a how did you perform this year list, which is why Moss is off it altogether. He was wildy inconsistent and scored half his TD's in 2 games against awful opposition.

As for Fitz not running as well as the others, that may have been true in the past seasons, but this year he developed a terrific knack in the intermediate range that none of the guys you mentioned have. He might be the best intermediate route runner outside of Reggie Wayne.

I like Moss still and Welker as well, but neither were a #1WR consistent threat. They did not fit well with the criteria and therefore I did not Squeeze them into the list.

Well we will agree to disagree. My formula is can a guy get my a first down when I need it. Does a guy dictate coverage. Can a guy get in the end zone.

I don't go by yearly stats. I go by if who can help me win a Super Bowl tomorrow.

There ain't 10 guy i rather have then Welker let alone 3 guy for Moss.

mr007
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Well we will agree to disagree. My formula is can a guy get my a first down when I need it. Does a guy dictate coverage. Can a guy get in the end zone.

I don't go by yearly stats. I go by if who can help me win a Super Bowl tomorrow.

There aren't 10 receivers I'd rather have than Welker, let alone 3 for Moss.

Fixed your grammar so people could understand what you're writing... Secondly, I'm sick of all these people rubbing all over Welker's jock. Here is a list of current wide receiver that are BETTER than Welker:

Fitz, Boldin, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Santana Moss, Randy Moss, Laverneas Coles, Brandon Marshall, Lee Evans, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, TJ whosyomama, Chad Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Roy Williams, TO, Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Torry Holt, and I'm SURE I've missed a few. He catches a lot of balls and has a freakin 10 yard average... he's not a top-10 receiver jeez.

DB-Freak
01-25-2009, 08:07 PM

lol

I love you man,but u practically said the same exact thing for most of the guys on the list where its too vague to actually distinguish between these WRs especially the top five.

La Caspa Del Diablo
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Andre Johnson just completed year six and Larry Fitzgerald finished year five.

Marshall could be at their level by the time he gets to year 5/6 or even as early as next season. He's that gifted.