PDA

View Full Version : We need a Safety!!

ludo21
01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
duh, right?

Watching the Cards game and seeing Wilson all over the place makes me long for an impact safety. I really hope Safety is our primary FA look/draft choice.

Please Mickey D., get us a safety!!

Jesterhole
01-18-2009, 02:15 PM
We could have had Ed Reed...

BroncoDoug
01-18-2009, 02:19 PM

But we don't, Move along...

SureShot
01-18-2009, 02:23 PM

We could have had Dick Butkus.

frerottenextelway
01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
We could've had Steve Atwater.

SportinOne
01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Good god....

a safety like Wilson is a luxury, as well as a moot point if you don't have A SOLID DEFENSIVE LINE!!!

The Cards have exactly that, and it makes the rest of the defense look that much better, especially Wilson.

Arkansas Bronco
01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
But we don't, Move along...

Seniority call!! this has been a running jibe forever he knows it better then you. So maybe you may be the one to move along that or start getting use to this place.

Arkansas Bronco
01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
We could've had Steve Atwater.

At this point we may need to look at someone younger. ;)

PRBronco
01-18-2009, 02:28 PM
False, Marquand Manuel is the total package.

Arkansas Bronco
01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
False, Marquand Manuel is the total package.

Is he a Christmas wrapper?

Broncoman13
01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
OJ Atogwe!!!

Harvitz81
01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
OJ Atogwe!!!

Seconded!! I watched a lot of rams games this year (yes, that happens when you have SJax on multiple fantasy football teams), and this guy is a straight up play maker.

He would be a great FA to bring in!

socalorado
01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
OJ Atogwe!!!

Its so easy. hes $money$ as a ballhawking FS, hes available, he plays for a team whos ownership historically F's over their players as FAs, and hes really, really good. PAY THE MAN. PROBLEM SOLVED.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
duh, right?

Watching the Cards game and seeing Wilson all over the place makes me long for an impact safety. I really hope Safety is our primary FA look/draft choice.

Please Mickey D., get us a safety!!

We need a lot of things. But if i'm going to build a team, I'm going to start from front to backward instead of the other way around. Look we have the best corner in the league the past 5 years and without a pass rush first the last 3 years has made him look human.

oubronco
01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
We need a Safety!!

NO SHYT

Popps
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
How about Dawkins!?

elsid13
01-18-2009, 02:54 PM
How about Dawkins!?

No. You don't sign FA on the wrong side of 30 that losing a step.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
We need 2.

ward63
01-18-2009, 03:32 PM
No. You don't sign FA on the wrong side of 30 that losing a step.

You are telling me, if Lynch would have wanted to play in Denver this year, you wouldn't have wanted him? Brian "The Wolverine" Dawkins would be doing what Lynch was doing and I'll DEFINITLY take that for 2-3 years over any safety we have!!!

TheDave
01-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately we also need 5 players in our front 7... after that we can go safety shopping.

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Calvin Lowry is available ....

MechanicalBull
01-18-2009, 03:36 PM
What we really need is a Defense.

illbroncsfn
01-18-2009, 03:54 PM
I doubt that Spags is going to let Atogwe leave St. Louis...

socalorado
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I doubt that Spags is going to let Atogwe leave St. Louis...

Its not the HC who decides anything other than plays in STL. Its the
cheap-@$$ ownership that makes those calls. OJ, is a UFA. He can go wherever the $$$ is offered.
He will get Madieu Williams kinda money. And i have no doubt he will sit and wait for the coin. This is his year for a big pay-day.
hopefully Bowlen realizes this, and just pays the man.

gunns
01-18-2009, 04:00 PM
We need 2.

Absolutely and we've needed them for years.

gunns
01-18-2009, 04:03 PM
You are telling me, if Lynch would have wanted to play in Denver this year, you wouldn't have wanted him? Brian "The Wolverine" Dawkins would be doing what Lynch was doing and I'll DEFINITLY take that for 2-3 years over any safety we have!!!

Loved Lynch the guy could tackle, but usually down the field. I'd say it's Denvers turn for a Palumalu, Sanders, Reed, etc.

fontaine
01-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Safeties are the least paid positions in FA on Defense and given guys like Sharper, Atoghwe etc that are available we have to get someone.

Los Broncos
01-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Really?

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately we also need 5 players in our front 7... after that we can go safety shopping.

Yep we have to prioritize filling these holes.

elsid13
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM

Do you see Lynch with PATs. He lost a step big time, there was reason he wasn't signed by any other team and retired. Dawkins isn't the guy he was two years ago, and is more in the box safety then anything else. Dawkins would be a big investment where those monies would be better spent else where.

snowspot66
01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Safeties are the cheapest spot on the field. If we can get a good one we need to do it. Two would be a luxury at this point but we can't be without at least one. The D-line needs serious help and we should focus on the draft there. It makes sense to me to use our FA dollars wisely and safety is the best choice. The best deal we can get would be a FA safety that is a known commodity and using the draft for the more pressing needs.

BroncoDoug
01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Seniority call!! this has been a running jibe forever he knows it better then you. So maybe you may be the one to move along that or start getting use to this place.

Trust me, i've been here long enough, I know we took ashley lelie instead of ed reed, i get that. I think about it everday like all of you, But there is no point in saying that anymore because we don't have him, we're not going to get him, lets move on...

Popps
01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Isn't Dawkins a FA?

C'mon... do it.

p7superfly
01-18-2009, 05:09 PM
We'll have two new safeties to start next year. One through the draft, and one through free agency. We should find a couple good ones ... we should start phasing out Bly at CB. I liked Woodyard and think he could play in the 3-4 ... DJ obviously could get double digit sacks from the inside ... Maybe Nate Webster and Spencer Larson can play MLB's ... I don't know. We should cut Boss Bailey. I think our biggest need will be a hoss 3-4 Nose Tackle ... We need to find one. Trade? Free agency? Draft? Who could we get?

Popps
01-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Mays returning to USC hurts, bad. It would have been a nice fit, and we could have gone DE in FA.

Arkansas Bronco
01-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Trust me, i've been here long enough, I know we took ashley lelie instead of ed reed, i get that. I think about it everday like all of you, But there is no point in saying that anymore because we don't have him, we're not going to get him, lets move on...

Yea i understand but no matter what for a good distance it isnt going to die. If he didnt say it I may would have just for the hell of it. No matter what bitterness or sarcastic it will keep up. Nothing could have stopped that response here.

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Absolutely and we've needed them for years.

We only need one safety right now.

montrose
01-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Isn't Dawkins a FA?

C'mon... do it.

Philly's not going to let him go and even if they did, I doubt we'd have him longer than a year or two.

And one note on Ed Reed. Watching the Ravens as much as I have in recent years, and being friends with tons of Ravens fans - Reed drives a lot them nuts as his freelancing and one-track style results in tons of big plays given up too. The guy is an absolute ballhawk and once he gets a pick he's great at running it back, but at this point I'd settle for a sound, fundamental safety who can QB our secondary.

Per the safety position, it was our weakest position this year, but that doesn't necessarily make it our top priority. Considering DL is such a huge weakness as well, and that position is at more of an NFL premium, I'd say DL because our top priority. Much will hinge on if we switch to the 3-4 as listening to McDaniels last night - it's not set in stone at this point.

I don't know why this thread is even open. The great Wesley Woodyard is going to play all 11 positions at a time!

footstepsfrom#27
01-18-2009, 06:10 PM
If Taylor Mays sticks with his decision to return to school, I'm inclined to agree. If not...we need to grab that freak of nature.

BroncoDoug
01-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Yea i understand but no matter what for a good distance it isnt going to die. If he didnt say it I may would have just for the hell of it. No matter what bitterness or sarcastic it will keep up. Nothing could have stopped that response here.

Haha, I got you! I wonder if Ed Reed would have been as good with us? Baltimore has a lot of good pieces that we don't. But I would be the first to go out and buy me a #20 jersey.

socalorado
01-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, i will say this about Ed Reed.
He makes the SS playing next to him look alot better than i think he actually is. Dawan landry was a 6th round pick, and i think Dawans pretty good, but i think he benefits alot from Reed as the Centerfielder. Same with Leneord. (Spelling!)

ludo21
01-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Im assuming you mean Barret?

I hope he is the answer too, that would be great.

TheDave
01-18-2009, 06:35 PM
If Taylor Mays sticks with his decision to return to school, I'm inclined to agree. If not...we need to grab that freak of nature.

Sounds like his decision to stay is final... we will see.

As for the draft pick if we go with anyone other than DL or LB I'm going to make O4L's melt down look tame

ludo21
01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Sounds like his decision to stay is final... we will see.

As for the draft pick if we go with anyone other than DL or LB I'm going to make O4L's melt down look tame

I can't wait for that. We are going RB round 1 ^5

TheDave
01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I can't wait for that. We are going RB round 1 ^5

Unfortunately if we go RB @ #12... I won't have a computer to go ape**** on.

:garcia:

socalorado
01-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Taylor Mays is going back to USC. Its a done deal.
DEN has some $$$ to spend, so instead of wasting the top picks on a Safety, DEN can simply go get a known commoditiy, a player that we and the DEN FO, (hypothetically of course!) knows is a GOOD, borderline pro bowl player.

OJ ATOGWE.
Here he is making Super Bowl bound QB Kurt Warner look fooolish.
Watch this guys insticts and playmaking ability.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRA7nOHU3ms

Its really a no-brainer. Considering the Rams are cheap @$$ clowns who never re-sign players, OJ will just sit back and wait for the right contract.
O.J. Atogwe Shafted Again

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bmR3ax1qF3MG/340x.jpg
I know it has been a while now since they released the Pro Bowl Rosters but this didn’t really hit me until today. It’s official that OJ Atogwe will actually have to pay the NFL Pro Bowl Commitee to get a spot in the game next season.This guy is the only talented player on the Rams defence and has now been shafted in back to back years. We all know how the politics and narrow mindedness of people in the NFL always leave out players that deserve to be there when selections are made. Phillip Rivers, Terrell Owens, Deangelo Williams, John Abraham, Matt Forte & Steve Slaton are a few players that probably deserve a spot and aren’t there. Atogwe, who is from Windsor, is another player on that list and is mind boggling how he didn’t make it. Especially when you look at his 2008 numbers compared to Brian Dawkins, who made it ahead of him:

Atogwe: 80 Tackles, 5 Interceptions, 6 Forced Fumbles, 3 Recovered Fumbles, 1 Touchdown
Dawkins: 70 Tackles, 1 Interception, 4 Forced Fumbles, 0 Recovered Fumbles, 0 Touchdowns Anybody else see a ridiculous disparity in numbers here?
Sadly Atogwe was shafted last year too with even better numbers in certain categories. He had 75 total tackles, less that his current 2008 total, but he led the NFC and was 2nd in the NFL in Interceptions with 8! Again, he had better numbers than Ken Hamlin, who made the game ahead of him:

Atogwe: 75 Tackles, 8 Interceptions, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 Touchdown
Hamlin: 62 Tackles, 5 Interceptions, 0 Forced Fumbles, 0 TouchdownsAs you can see, it is beyond any normal comprehension to figure out a reason why this guy just doesn’t get any consideration year after year. Looks like hes going to have to lead the NFL with interceptions, defensive touchdowns and tackles all from the Free Safety position, playing for the cheesedick Rams just to make it!
http://allsportstalk.wordpress.com/2008/12/23/oj-atogwe-shafted-again/

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Im assuming you mean Barret?

I hope he is the answer too, that would be great.

Yes, I'm talking about Barrett. He showed me enough this season that I'm confident trusting the SS spot to him for next year.

montrose
01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes, I'm talking about Barrett. He showed me enough this season that I'm confident trusting the SS spot to him for next year.

I'm not so sure about trusting a starting spot to Josh, but I'm cool with having him compete with another guy for the position. I liken him to Woodyard in that they both have a lot of potential but are raw and I'd prefer to see them spend another year on special teams before becoming full-time players (although that might be a moot point in Woodyard's case if we go 3-4).

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 07:22 PM

Huh?

ludo21
01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I dont think WW can move to safety. I can see him anywhere at the LB spot, but just not at safety.

Im sold on Atogwe though, lets go after him and then draft another to compete.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Did Josh Barrett look really fat to anyone else? In the replay they showed of him trying to man up on Gates he looked like a DE.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/83944927.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193003A50471BAAE0D5D0CA701AB378736C 5A5397277B4DC33E
Big dude.

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm not so sure about trusting a starting spot to Josh, but I'm cool with having him compete with another guy for the position. I liken him to Woodyard in that they both have a lot of potential but are raw and I'd prefer to see them spend another year on special teams before becoming full-time players (although that might be a moot point in Woodyard's case if we go 3-4).

Normally I'd agree with this, but if we go to a 3-4 we're going to have to spend alot of resources there. I'm truly hoping that we run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid so that we don't have to spend that many resources on retooling the defense.

Josh, IMO, played pretty well considering that the front 4 was crap and Slowik's scheme/coaching just sucked.