PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Schefter blog entry: How a Chiefs fumble changed NFL history

rovolution
01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

How a Chiefs fumble changed NFL history

Posted: January 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Nobody ever could have, or would have, predicted that one single play could cost multiple teams playoff spots, Super-Bowl winning coaches their jobs and changed the course of NFL history.

But it did.

Go back to the San Diego-Kansas City game on Dec. 14, and the NFL’s single most significant play of the season.

With 1:13 remaining in a game that San Diego trailed 21-16, Chargers punter Mike Scifres — did he have an incredible year or what — attempted an onside kick. It bounced into the usually sure hands of Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe — and bounced out.

And history changed.

If Bowe held onto that onside kick, Kansas City would have won the game. Instead, Bowe dropped it, Chargers wide receiver Kassim Osgood recovered it, and San Diego pulled out an improbable 22-21 victory.

If Kansas City had won the game, it’s very likely that Chiefs president Carl Peterson would not have resigned the very next day, opening up the job that went to Scott Pioli.

If Bowe held onto the onside kick, San Diego would have lost and Denver would have clinched the AFC West title that day, meaning Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wouldn’t have gotten fired and Josh McDaniels wouldn’t have gotten hired.

If Kansas City had won that game, San Diego would have traveled to Tampa Bay the next Sunday as a team eliminated from the playoffs instead of a rejuvenated and dangerous one, meaning the Buccaneers would have likely won the game and clinched a playoff spot. But San Diego won and Tampa Bay continued its tailspin that led to the firing of Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen and the hiring of Raheem Morris and Mark Dominik.

If Tampa Bay had beaten San Diego, Philadelphia would have been eliminated from the playoffs and wouldn’t be playing in the NFC Championship Game.

It all goes back to one play. One single play. If Bowe holds on, Shanahan stays, San Diego goes home, Norv Turner might be in trouble, Gruden advances, Philadelphia sits and history changes. Now history changes in an entirely different way on the basis of the result of one play. One single play.

Hollywood gives us sliding doors, and so does the NFL.

But in football, it takes a little time before anyone realizes it.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah! **** the chiefs!

broncofan7
01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Very good read. Football really does come down to a play here or there......

ludo21
01-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Football is a game of inches....

I hate Bowe even more now for that mistake costing Shanny his job.

Chris
01-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Honestly I think this will work out for us better in the long run..

watermock
01-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Herm should be fired for that collosal colapse alone. He had about 3 chances to salt that game away.Epic Fail, and cost Shanny his job most likely.

KCStud
01-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Well that drop cost King Carl and Ratty their jobs and kept Norv's safe.

It also got KC a competent GM :thumbsup:

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
It bounced into the usually sure hands of Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe — and bounced out.

Anyone who has watched Bowe play knows that is not true.

KCStud
01-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Anyone who has watched Bowe play knows that is not true.

Neither is it for Marshall who has the most drops in the NFL. What was it like 18?

TheDave
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Neither is it for Marshall who has the most drops in the NFL. What was it like 18?

Relax... he commented on the article we all just read.

Natedog24
01-18-2009, 12:29 PM
At least it kept Norv's job safe for a little while longer.

Br0nc0Buster
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Except Marshall is still recovering from getting his arm slashed in half.

He had great hands 2 years ago before the incident.

But that is beside the point, I dont see many people here saying Marshall has hands like Fitzgerald, do you?
Or are you just trying to be annoying?

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 12:33 PM

But that is beside the point, I dont see many people here saying Marshall has hands like Fitzgerald, do you?

He's just trying to validate Bowe.

fontaine
01-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Shanahan would have gotten fired a week later after we would have once again gotten an a$$ thumping from Indy with our weak defense.

It only accelerated the change.

Popps
01-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Herm should be fired for that collosal colapse alone. He had about 3 chances to salt that game away.Epic Fail, and cost Shanny his job most likely.

Dude, get of Herm's back. He's doing a great job in K.C..

I hear they're working on a 10 year contract extension.

:thumbsup:

Killericon
01-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Dude, get of Herm's back. He's doing a great job in K.C..

I hear they're working on a 10 year contract extension.

:thumbsup:

I'll tell you what...If they're still planning on firing Herm, waiting this long is pretty unclassy, even for the Chiefs. Defensive Coordinator spots are filling up.

KCStud
01-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I'll tell you what...If they're still planning on firing Herm, waiting this long is pretty unclassy, even for the Chiefs. Defensive Coordinator spots are filling up.

Pioli says he is evaluating everything before making a decision. You would think Herm is gone because the assistant coaches are either out of talking to other teams for jobs.

We may have to keep Herm for another year because the top candidates are gone. I can live with that if we get a big time coach like Cowher in 2010.

Killericon
01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Pioli says he is evaluating everything before making a decision. You would think Herm is gone because the assistant coaches are either out of talking to other teams for jobs.

We may have to keep Herm for another year because the top candidates are gone. I can live with that if we get a big time coach like Cowher in 2010.

Why would Cowher go to KC next year and not this year?

wandlc
01-18-2009, 12:57 PM
How about the bad snap on the first extra point in the first chargers/chiefs game?

KCStud
01-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Why would Cowher go to KC next year and not this year?

He apparently still wants time to his family, especially his daughter. That's what he told the Jets.
Then again, rumors are that after his final CBS show of the season, he is going to talk to Pioli about the job.

Nobody really knows what's going to happen

Bob's your Information Minister
01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Bowe just makes plays.

Miss I.
01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Bowe just makes plays.

Good or bad plays? I mean it seems to me he went through a spell where he dropped his balls so much it was like a guy going thru puberty or watching drunk cheerleaders drop their panties on prom night.

400HZ
01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Bowe just makes plays.

That's what the article is about.

Ninjatime
01-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Marshall was thrown to how many more times too?

gunns
01-18-2009, 05:31 PM
If Bowe held onto the onside kick, San Diego would have lost and Denver would have clinched the AFC West title that day, meaning Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wouldn’t have gotten fired and Josh McDaniels wouldn’t have gotten hired.

We'd still have Slowik, been one and done in the playoffs, and probably more of the same next year. It was tiring and I'm glad it's over

Atwater His Ass
01-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Although this stuff is fun to contemplate, let's not lose sight of the fact that A) Denver has won exactly 1 playoff game in 10 years, and B) Became the first team in NFL history to blow a 3 game division lead with 3 games left to play.

A WR on another dropping an onside kick in a game Denver wasn't even playing in was and is the least of our concerns last season.

jhat01
01-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Bowe just makes plays.

What a dumb ****ing post

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
What a dumb ****ing post

Welcome to bobs world it's not pretty but it's all he has.

footstepsfrom#27
01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
So how do I send Dwayne Bowe a big thank you?

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 06:08 PM
So how do I send Dwayne Bowe a big thank you?

Just send a message with LJs name on it saying ( hey homie lets go spit on some hos) he will read it for sure.

Ambiguous
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Same thing on the stupid ****ing 2PC Herm tried when he was in San Diego. :mad:

Tyrant
01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I'll add one more to this as long as Shefter is throwing out the hypotheticals:

Indy probably smokes Denver in the first round...who knows how far they make it after that. Perhaps that keeps Dungy coaching...