PDA

View Full Version : Spagnuolo to the Rams....

broncofan7
01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/17/rams-hire-spagnuolo/

RAMS HIRE SPAGNUOLO
Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2009, 3:00 p.m. EST
Reports out of St. Louis were all over the place over the last couple of days, but the Rams have finally landed their man. Adam Schefter is reporting that the Rams have hired Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo as their new head coach.

Per Schefter, it is a four-year, $11.5 million deal.

That leaves the Raiders and Jets as the only NFL teams without head coaches and leaves Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, all rumored to be front-runners for the job at one point or another, to chase other positions or return to their current jobs.

lostknight
01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Good for Spagnuolo. Every news report was that he interviewed poorly, wanted control, and given that he is getting paid more then other new starting coaches, wanted more money. I was a fan going into the interview process of his, but am now happy with the McDaniels pick.

BroncoBuff
01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Good news ... that's one step closer to Herm staying on in KC :thumbs:

tsiguy96
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Good for Spagnuolo. Every news report was that he interviewed poorly, wanted control, and given that he is getting paid more then other new starting coaches, wanted more money. I was a fan going into the interview process of his, but am now happy with the McDaniels pick.

never heard any of those but he didnt get hired by a lot of teams for a reason....which is why i didnt cry like a lot of the idiots here when we hired mickey

goldengopher1976
01-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a buddy whose a big Rams fan, no doubt this is good news for the whole beleaguered bunch of them...

Taco John
01-17-2009, 02:09 PM
The rumor in KC is that Pioli is in talks with Shanahan...

ludo21
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
i could see shanny in KC, no matter how horrible that sounds...

MechanicalBull
01-17-2009, 02:32 PM

the rumors in NY about KC is that it would be Ferentz.

The question for Shanahan is. Does he want to show that he is a great coach and rebuild KC and prove that he still has it? Or does he want to just win more superbowls and sit out the year collecting tons of $ and go to Dallas next year or maybe even this year?

DenverBrit
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Would Shanahan take the KC job (or any AFC West gig) despite his friendship with Bowlen.........

.....or would Bowlen care as long as he is off the hook for the $21 million?

dumpy
01-17-2009, 03:03 PM

I've heard rumors of Paul Pasqualoni for their next coach.

Popps
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Wow!

tsiguy96
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
shanny should coach the chargers. instantly create one of the biggest rivalries in the NFL, would be fun to watch.

Popps
01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm with a few others around here... I sincerely hope Shanahan lands in the division. Not one bit afraid of him and it would make for great drama.

Killericon
01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I wanna see Shanahan wait a year, and I wanna see Gruden get the job in New York.

BroncoBuff
01-17-2009, 03:24 PM

A Bob rumor, or a real rumor?

ColoradoDarin
01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Jets are waiting on Rex Ryan, they're probably rooting for the Steelers tomorrow.

I'd like to see Shanahan land somewhere this year (doesn't matter to me where, in/out of the division) , save Pat some $$$ that we can put into FA signing bonuses.

The raiders probably need to look at the High School coaching ranks.

SouthStndJunkie
01-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Glad Spagnuolo is not going to Kansas City.

broncofan7
01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
If STL winds up with Jeremy Bates running their offense, I will truly be envious. But who knows, I was wrong about Eddie Royal (wanted Desean Jackson) so hopefully I am wrong about McDaniels and the Patriot's rotten coaching tree too.

TonyR
01-17-2009, 08:27 PM
...I was wrong about Eddie Royal (wanted Desean Jackson)...

DeSean Jackson had a great year and has had a huge impact for the Eagles in the playoffs. We would've done okay either way.

KCStud
01-17-2009, 08:31 PM
There are lots of rumors about KC from Ratty to Cowher announcing his sign on after his last day of the season for CBS tomorrow.

Atwater His Ass
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Shanahan is going to do what's best for Shanahan. If he decides that's becoming the coach at KC, good for him. I can't see him not taking that job just because of his relationship with Bowlen. That would be stupid.

Broncojef
01-17-2009, 09:15 PM
A Bob rumor, or a real rumor?

They were talking pretty serious about it on the FAN Thursday and Friday so I don't think its just Bob.

TheDave
01-17-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm with a few others around here... I sincerely hope Shanahan lands in the division. Not one bit afraid of him and it would make for great drama.

Yeah whats the worst that can happen... LJ puts up 300 on us.

Shanahan made guys like Olandis Gary and Tatum Bell into weapons... I don't want to think what happens with LJ in his backfield

SoCalBronco
01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Would Shanahan take the KC job (or any AFC West gig) despite his friendship with Bowlen.........

I suspect any friendship is only skin deep, at least from Shanahan's end. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny completely hates Bowlen's guts and wants to **** him over. He worked very hard to line up a bunch of young monsters for his offense for the next ten years. He was just about done (RB) with turning it into the premier force in the league and Bowlen wouldn't let him stay to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He wanted to see his studs grow and dominate and Pat took that away from him, right when we were on the precipice of becoming great.

If I were Shanahan I would LOVE to **** Bowlen over. He's smart enough to place nice in public because he's a very bright individual. But I'll bet you that he's fuming and that he will have a long memory. I wouldn't hold it against him if he took the Chiefs job. It's understandable. It's also the bed that Pat made. Pat is responsible for the blowback.

NFLBRONCO
01-17-2009, 10:35 PM
If you had a chance to play your old team imo that would be a huge draw. I just don't see how Pioli and Shanny would work together. Unless he wants revenge I think Mikes ego requires more power.

chex
01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Who cares if he goes to KC? Dude has won one playoff game in the last 10 years. How long will it take him to win one in KC with far inferior talent?

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
It will be interesting to see what Spagnuolo can do for ST louis.

oubronco
01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I could see Shanny taking the KC job so he could try to show up Bowlen like he's done to Davis

baja
01-18-2009, 01:06 PM
I suspect any friendship is only skin deep, at least from Shanahan's end. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny completely hates Bowlen's guts and wants to **** him over. He worked very hard to line up a bunch of young monsters for his offense for the next ten years. He was just about done (RB) with turning it into the premier force in the league and Bowlen wouldn't let him stay to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He wanted to see his studs grow and dominate and Pat took that away from him, right when we were on the precipice of becoming great.

If I were Shanahan I would LOVE to **** Bowlen over. He's smart enough to place nice in public because he's a very bright individual. But I'll bet you that he's fuming and that he will have a long memory. I wouldn't hold it against him if he took the Chiefs job. It's understandable. It's also the bed that Pat made. Pat is responsible for the blowback.

Your worst post ever.

Not everyone thinks the way you do.

outdoor_miner
01-18-2009, 01:11 PM

All I can say is LOL at this post. Talk about projecting your feelings into the situation. You're getting all emotional for Mike Shanahan, the dude who ran the Broncos like a business for 14 years? The same guy who showed absolutely no loyalty to players and unceremoniously/unemotionally cut ties with key Broncos over the years (Steve Atwater, Al Wilson, John Lynch, Matt Lepsis, Trevor Price, Jake Plummer, etc) when he decided their time with the Broncos was done... He's going to "hate Bowlen's guts" when Bowlen makes a similar decision to the one Shanahan made hundreds of times? Or maybe we could talk about assistant coaches like Larry Coyer who Shanahan decided to kick to the curb because of underperformance.

What a crock. Shanahan of all people knows that football is a business. I'm sure he knows that the last few years have been unacceptable from a business perspective. He had an unlimited budget and unlimited authority, and he produced one playoff win in 10 years. While I'm sure he did not want to be fired, and probably wanted more time to right the ship, he also almost certainly understands that he put himself in a position where his job security was in question.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Your worst post ever.

Not everyone thinks the way you do.

I'm assuming you have a point here, somewhere.

Neither of knows how Shanny really feels. But I wouldn't be surprised if he feels the way I think he might. I wouldn't hold it against him.

baja
01-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Neither of knows how Shanny really feels. But I wouldn't be surprised if he feels the way I think he might. I wouldn't hold it against him.

To say Shanny hates Bowlen's guts is a ridiculous statement. There is no evidence to support that statement, none, zero, zilch. This is clearly your own petty bias.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 01:33 PM
To say Shanny hates Bowlen's guts is a ridiculous statement. There is no evidence to support that statement, none, zero, zilch. This is clearly your own petty bias.

If he takes that job, will you admit that you are wrong?

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM

SoCal never presented it as fact. His post was pretty clear.

Natedog24
01-18-2009, 01:39 PM

The league is a business. Both Shanahan and Bowlen understand this so I really doubt there is any hard feelings if Shanahan ends up coaching a rival. Who knows what really goes on behind closed doors though, for all we know they could hate each other.

However, after watching that final Shanahan press conference, if there is some dislike between those two guys then they are both damn good actors.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 01:42 PM
The league is a business. Both Shanahan and Bowlen understand this so I really doubt there is any hard feelings if Shanahan ends up coaching a rival. .

Yeah, it would be a total coincidence, wouldn't it?

You're right, it wouldn't prove anything.

Because KC is THE ideal situation where he can step in and right away win it all, right?

Because they have a big time offense and defense already lined up, right?

Because they were a playoff team already, right?

I wonder why he would pick KC even though they just went 2-14? Maybe he just really likes BBQ. Maybe its because he would like to trade his 35k square foot home for a trailer where he'd live next to hicks who are drinking beer in their wife beater t-shirts at 7 am with tumbleweeds blowing by? Maybe he thinks it would be a fun and new experience to wake up and look outside and see some 50 year old guy ****ing a goat in the ass.

Yeah, that job is real attractive just on its face.

You are right. There's a host of reasons he could choose KC completely unrelated to screwing Bowlen over. It wouldn't show that there were any hard feelings there at all. It would be, if it occurred, pure coincidental.

My bad.

baja
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Of course not. Do you really think Shanahan will make his next career decision based on some kind of petty revenge factor.

That is so absurd that I have to think someone is using your account.

I will admit Shanny is a very competitive and will relish beating the Broncos but not because he hates Pat Bowlen.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Of course not. Do you really think Shanahan will make his next career decision based on some kind of petty revenge factor.

That is so absurd that I have to think someone is using your account.

I will admit Shanny is a very competitive and will relish beating the Broncos but not because he hates Pat Bowlen.

Why would he relish beating us if it weren't for Bowlen?

There would be no reason for him to "relish" it.

See my above post on the attractiveness of the KC position.

Are you really saying if he took that job, its because its a great job?

Come on now.

baja
01-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Fortunately Shanny has a lot more class than you and TJ do on this matter.

baja
01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah, it would be a total coincidence, wouldn't it?

You're right, it wouldn't prove anything.

Because KC is THE ideal situation where he can step in and right away win it all, right?

Because they have a big time offense and defense already lined up, right?

Because they were a playoff team already, right?

I wonder why he would pick KC even though they just went 2-14? Maybe he just really likes BBQ. Maybe its because he would like to trade his 35k square foot home for a trailer where he'd live next to hicks who are drinking beer in their wife beater t-shirts at 7 am with tumbleweeds blowing by? Maybe he thinks it would be a fun and new experience to wake up and look outside and see some 50 year old guy ****ing a goat in the ass.

Yeah, that job is real attractive just on its face.

You are right. There's a host of reasons he could choose KC completely unrelated to screwing Bowlen over. It wouldn't show that there were any hard feelings there at all. It would be, if it occurred, pure coincidental.

My bad.

If Shanny takes this job I am sure it will be for reasons other that the opportunity to play against a Pat Bowlen team twice a year. You might be this petty but I am sure Shanahan is much more level headed with his discussions.

Frankly So Cal I am quite surprised to see your thinking on this.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Fortunately Shanny has a lot more class than you and TJ do on this matter.

Wait a minute, baja, you are now contradicting yourself.

Which one is it? Now you say he has too much class to go to KC.

But then you just said you would not admit you were wrong if he went there.

You can't say that if he took it, it would be totally unrelated to Bowlen, because its a **** situation and a **** job. I have outlined it above.

Class? Why would he take into account Bowlen's feelings when making a decision on where to coach? Bowlen's the guy who fired him. Did he take into account Al Davis's feelings when he pursued later employment? Bowlen doesn't deserve to be treated in a classy way.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 02:06 PM
If Shanny takes this job I am sure it will be for reasons .

But that's not possible.

And that's because there are NO REASONS to take that job. That's a **** team, in a **** situation, with a powerful GM breathing down your neck. It is contrary to everything that Shanny wants.

baja
01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Wait a minute, baja, you are now contradicting yourself.

Which one is it? Now you say he has too much class to go to KC.

But then you just said you would not admit you were wrong if he went there.

You can't say that if he took it, it would be totally unrelated to Bowlen, because its a **** situation and a **** job. I have outlined it above.

Class? Why would he take into account Bowlen's feelings when making a decision on where to coach? Bowlen's the guy who fired him. Did he take into account Al Davis's feelings when he pursued later employment? Bowlen doesn't deserve to be treated in a classy way.

No, I'm saying if he goes to KC it will be because he believes it's the best job for him for a set of reasons that does not include hating Bowlen and wanting revenge. I think this is a pretty stupid conversation So Cal and not up to your usual standard.

KCStud
01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
And yet another rumor

Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley could reportedly be a candidate to be the Chiefs' next head coach.
Haley worked for new GM Scott Pioli's father-in-law in Dallas and has done an excellent job in Arizona, especially in terms of late-season adjustments. However, the Chiefs couldn't hire Haley until the Cardinals are done playing. Source: NFL.com

Killericon
01-18-2009, 02:40 PM
But that's not possible.

And that's because there are NO REASONS to take that job. That's a **** team, in a **** situation, with a powerful GM breathing down your neck. It is contrary to everything that Shanny wants.

Which is probably why he'll sit out a year and wait for the Chargers to fire Norv and A.J. after a 7-9 season, and then take that job.

You know, if you're right.

Karenin
01-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Shanahan isn't going to take the Chargers job a year from now. I'm sure he'll recognize that team is a sinking ship on the cusp of a full rebuild. He'll go to a contender, guaranteed.

DenverBrit
01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
The league is a business. Both Shanahan and Bowlen understand this so I really doubt there is any hard feelings if Shanahan ends up coaching a rival. Who knows what really goes on behind closed doors though, for all we know they could hate each other.

However, after watching that final Shanahan press conference, if there is some dislike between those two guys then they are both damn good actors.

I had a similar feeling.
In fact, I thought Shanahan looked the best I've seen him in years, as if a huge weight had been lifted.
Bowlen, on the other hand, looked drained and emotionally spent.