PDA

View Full Version : Chargers might be getting fans ready for life without L.T.

sutoazul
01-17-2009, 08:11 AM
it seems like that window is closing fast. LT has not been the same in since winning the MVP in 2006.
I think he ends up in : Arizona (since edge wants out of there), KC (since the new GM is known for getting good FAs), NE, or Detroit.

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers appear to be bracing their fans for the possibility that LaDainian Tomlinson's brilliant eight-year run with the team could be over.

According to the team's website, club president Dean Spanos called the star running back Thursday to discuss reports that the Chargers might part with Tomlinson, who has been slowed by injuries the past two postseasons and will count $8.8 million against the salary cap next year.

"We talked about the situation and I just tried to explain everything that must be considered," Spanos said in a story detailing the offseason decisions the team must make. "I told him we haven't even started our discussions and won't for a while, so don't jump to any conclusions. And I told him I would call him personally to make sure he's aware of everything that's going on."

Tomlinson, the NFL MVP in 2006, missed the Chargers' playoff loss at Pittsburgh on Sunday with a groin injury. That, coupled with the lowest rushing total of his career, has led to speculation the team might try to trade or even release L.T.

Tomlinson, who turns 30 in June, is under contract through 2011. Slowed by toe and groin injuries, Tomlinson gained a career-low 1,110 yards in 2008. Two seasons earlier, he set NFL records with 31 touchdowns -- including 28 rushing -- and 186 points.

The team declined to make Spanos available for further comment. Tomlinson didn't immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

LaDainian Tomlinson has 35 carries for 100 yards in the Chargers' past five playoff games. (AP)
Six years ago, the Chargers were criticized for the way they got rid of star linebacker Junior Seau. Feeling Seau's play was in decline, the Chargers told him he was free to pursue a trade.

During a farewell news conference at the restaurant he owns, Seau said he had lobbied the team to release him so he could seek a free-agent deal. Describing himself as fired, unemployed and humbled, the 12-time Pro Bowl pick was then traded to the Miami Dolphins.

In another unpopular move, the Chargers cut hard-hitting safety Rodney Harrison after the 2002 season because he'd been slowed by an ankle injury. The Patriots signed Harrison as a free agent and he ended up winning two Super Bowls with them.

Tomlinson hurt his groin in the regular-season finale against Denver on Dec. 28. He started the wild-card playoff game against Indianapolis but came out after scoring a touchdown early in the second quarter. The Chargers went on to beat the Colts 23-17 in overtime, carried by Darren Sproles' 328 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winner.

Tomlinson didn't suit up against Pittsburgh, which beat the Chargers 35-24. The Steelers held Sproles, who'll become an unrestricted free agent, to 15 yards on 11 carries.

After the Broncos game, the Chargers announced Tomlinson had a strained groin. Reports surfaced the day of the playoff game against the Colts that Tomlinson had a detached tendon that connects one of his groin muscles to his pubic bone.

Four days later, Tomlinson -- long the franchise's most brutally honest employee -- confirmed that he had a detached tendon and practically scoffed at the team's public diagnosis.

"If it was a strain I'd be able to play with it, trust me," Tomlinson said. "A lot of guys have strains."

General manager A.J. Smith was livid that the severity of Tomlinson's injury was revealed and called out the player's camp.

A year ago, Tomlinson missed most of the AFC Championship Game at New England with a sprained ligament in his left knee. He stood glumly on the sidelines huddled in a parka, wearing his helmet with a tinted visor. Some people criticized Tomlinson's toughness, but the Chargers themselves had provided an overly optimistic update on his injury, announcing in the press box early in the second quarter that Tomlinson had a "sore knee" and that he "can return."

Perhaps wanting to keep up some gamesmanship, the Chargers never updated that report even though Tomlinson and coach Norv Turner later said they knew by early in the second quarter that the running back wouldn't return.

"It's obvious that I couldn't play," Tomlinson said afterward. "If I could have played, I would have been in there."

Tomlinson's agent, Tom Condon, has declined comment.

Condon clients have been at odds with Smith in the past, notably Marty Schottenheimer, Donnie Edwards and Eli Manning.

Schottenheimer was fired as San Diego's coach in February 2007 because of what Spanos called a "dysfunctional situation" with Smith. Edwards, who led the Chargers in tackles for five straight seasons, fell into disfavor with Smith, apparently for asking one time too many for a contract extension, and was allowed to leave as an unrestricted free agent following the 2006 season.

Three days before the 2004 draft, Smith revealed that Archie Manning, through Condon, didn't want his son, Eli, to be taken by the Chargers with the No. 1 pick overall.

Smith picked Manning anyway, then dealt him to the New York Giants for Philip Rivers and a haul of picks that he used to select kicker Nate Kaeding in that draft and star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman in the first round of the 2005 draft.

Manning was MVP of the Giants' Super Bowl upset of New England last year.

After the 2005 season, Smith chose to keep Rivers over Drew Brees, another Condon client.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

rugbythug
01-17-2009, 08:20 AM
If SD does Cut LT. I have no doubt where he would want to play the most.

A. A team who gets to play the Chargers twice a year.

B. A team with a history of running success.

C. A team with a dominant offensive line.

D. A team with out a entrenched starting running back.

broncofan2438
01-17-2009, 08:20 AM
HAHAHAHAHA.....bye bye LT(not the real LT)

MechanicalBull
01-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I wonder if he sat in Spanos' office like this:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/cbusmike75/LTFigure.jpg

Karenin
01-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Hahahah.... that article is like a laundry list of all the massive failures of the Chargers.

Paladin
01-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Well, compared to the Grand Expectations, they were and are failures......

The window closes.........

_Oro_
01-17-2009, 09:06 AM
"We talked about the situation and I just tried to explain everything that must be considered," Spanos said in a story detailing the offseason decisions the team must make. "I told him we haven't even started our discussions and won't for a while, so don't jump to any conclusions. And I told him I would call him personally to make sure he's aware of everything that's going on."

To me this line continues to make LT look like the emo poster boy of the NFL.
I'm sure Spanos is full of crap but it's funny he has to "keep LT in the loop" in LT's own cutting.

Los Broncos
01-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Do they really need him with Hester and Sproles?

Ed Hochuli
01-17-2009, 09:16 AM

:wiggle: It would be Marcus Allen Oakland/KC all over again

400HZ
01-17-2009, 09:18 AM
To me this line continues to make LT look like the emo poster boy of the NFL.
I'm sure Spanos is full of crap but it's funny he has to "keep LT in the loop" in LT's own cutting.

It's the same thing that Bowlen said to your emo boy this offseason.

Wes Mantooth
01-17-2009, 09:41 AM

we don't need a back who gets hurt. We have 8.

go_broncos
01-17-2009, 10:07 AM

I think it will be New England.

LT wants to win SB and he will have great chance if he goes to NE.

jebures
01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
IF LT leaves SD we need to sign him right away, our offense would have just become the best in the NFL, even if he does get dinged up here and there teams would still have to respect him. We havent had a running back a team would have to game plan for since Portis was here.

Killericon
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
IF LT leaves SD we need to sign him right away, our offense would have just become the best in the NFL, even if he does get dinged up here and there teams would still have to respect him. We havent had a running back a team would have to game plan for since Portis was here.

And we wouldn't now, either. Why do you think SD is considering cutting the guy?

Paladin
01-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Broncos do NOT need to sign LT. Who wants a prima donna rb who is injury prone? The Broncos have Hillis, Pittman, Torrain, Bell, Young and Hall for the TB position, There are options for the FB position. Let's not hope they shell out dollars for a rb when the Broncos need Dline and MLB help. Even someone to replace Bly is a higher priority......

Natedog24
01-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Broncos do NOT need to sign LT. Who wants a prima donna rb who is injury prone? The Broncos have Hillis, Pittman, Torrain, Bell, Young and Hall for the TB position, There are options for the FB position. Let's not hope they shell out dollars for a rb when the Broncos need Dline and MLB help. Even someone to replace Bly is a higher priority......

Amen!!!

Signing LT is one of the worse things Denver could do this offseason. We need to build a defense not sign a overpriced, over the hill Runningback.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Amen!!!

Signing LT is one of the worse things Denver could do this offseason. We need to build a defense not sign a overpriced, over the hill Runningback.

It wouldnt be if they signed him on the cheap.

MechanicalBull
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd rather sign the real LT. Lawrence Taylor.

Of course we could use a great rb but that is a luxury at this point. Our offense wasn't the problem this season it was the defense.

Karenin
01-17-2009, 01:01 PM
It wouldnt be if they signed him on the cheap.

What makes you think LT would sign anywhere for cheap?

_Oro_
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
It's the same thing that Bowlen said to your emo boy this offseason.

huh?

rovolution
01-17-2009, 01:26 PM
denver will be running more single back double TE stuff with Josh McD, so LT would be a bad idea (LT has always been an I formation guy)

ZONA
01-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Just say NO to LT.

I'm not for taking carries away from a young power horse like Hillis and giving them to a often dinged up, highly overpaid 30 year old RB, even if it is LT himself.

boltaneer
01-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Oh no, the window is closing!

(How many years in a row have I heard this now?)

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
What makes you think LT would sign anywhere for cheap?

Ask Shaun Alexander

Karenin
01-17-2009, 04:05 PM

How many years in a row have the Chargers failed to do anything of note?
How many years in a row have the Chargers had a worse record than the year before?
How many years do you think you'll get into the playoffs with an 8-8 record?

BroncoMan4ever
01-17-2009, 04:27 PM
he may have lost a step, but IF SD we to let him go, and not attempt to trade him, i would gladly accept him in Denver. he isn't the RB he used to be, but he is still a guy who would need to be accounted for every single play.
Pair him with Hillis the same way SD used to pair him with Turner, and behind our OL and he looks the same as he did a few seasons ago.

azbroncfan
01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
LT would be a great pickup for the regular season but he just straight up refuses to play once the postseason begins.

80smith
01-17-2009, 10:05 PM
So what would this do to the Chargers offense? Would they scare anyone? Sproles is not an every down back and there is film on him now.....

cutthemdown
01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Do they really need him with Hester and Sproles?

did you see how easy Sproles was going down when Pitt defenders got hands on him. Sproles looks great 1-1 in the open field, or if he can bust through a hole or outside. When He has to break tackles though he goes down pretty easy.

I like Sproles, hes a great player, very quick and explosive. Even in that game he still made a big play through the air so he is valuable.

I think though Chargers or any team would be foolish to give him ball 300 plus times in a yr. He's just not big enough for that IMO.

I think Chargers would probably look for a bigger back to compliment him.

Funny thing is we were telling Charger fans a couple yrs ago that the team needed to make and win Superbowl because soon LT would start to get worn down. They probably are starting to believe us now.

Chargers had best RB in the NFL and couldn't get it done....What a bunch of losers they are.

SouthStndJunkie
01-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Pass...Denver does not need sloppy seconds of LT.

BroncoMan4ever
01-17-2009, 11:24 PM
did you see how easy Sproles was going down when Pitt defenders got hands on him. Sproles looks great 1-1 in the open field, or if he can bust through a hole or outside. When He has to break tackles though he goes down pretty easy.

I like Sproles, hes a great player, very quick and explosive. Even in that game he still made a big play through the air so he is valuable.

I think though Chargers or any team would be foolish to give him ball 300 plus times in a yr. He's just not big enough for that IMO.

Funny thing is we were telling Charger fans a couple yrs ago that the team needed to make and win Superbowl because soon LT would start to get worn down. They probably are starting to believe us now.

Chargers had best RB in the NFL and couldn't get it done....What a bunch of losers they are.

one good thing came up from his decline. this season showed that without LT or a dominant running game that Rivers wasn't able to carry the load the way all SD Homers believe.

Us on the other hand, we saw that Jay was capable of getting us to 8-8 on his arm alone

brncs_fan
01-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Sign LT and bring back the Wishbone!

http://blog.feefifoto.com/images/2008/02/13/lombardi_trophy.jpg

400HZ
01-18-2009, 07:43 AM
LT would be a great pickup for the regular season but he just straight up refuses to play once the postseason begins.

Fortunately that wouldn't be a problem in Denver.

Popcorn Sutton
01-18-2009, 07:52 AM

Tou freaking che.

But it's all about to change.... ^5 The McBroncos are poised to return to a top 20 defense baby!!!

Karenin
01-18-2009, 08:07 AM

Won't be a problem for him in San Diego either as long as they keep putting up 8-8 seasons.

Los Broncos
01-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Not an every down back, your right.

How does getting rid Turner look now.

Bronx33
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM

Well you tell US when you should have have your shot at a SB sadly norv choose to go with a one legged homo vs a healthy volek and LT pouting on the sideline, the only time he even got up was to cry about patty players dancing on centerfield. That was (2 years into your window) sadly it's been 2 more years so techically a window is 4ish years before players get older or simply leave, you claim to be smart ( now prove it).

The program marty built is fading into the sunset

long live norv!

400HZ
01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Well you tell US when you should have have your shot at a SB sadly norv choose to go with a one legged homo vs a healthy volek and LT pouting on the sideline, the only time he even got up was to cry about patty players dancing on centerfield. That was (2 years into your window) sadly it's been 2 more years so techically a window is 4ish years before players get older or simply leave, you claim to be smart ( now prove it).

The program marty built is fading into the sunset

long live norv!

The Chargers scored the second most points in the NFL in 2008. That was with Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates, and several starting linemen rehabbing major injuries throughout the offseason and first half of the regular season. The run game was ineffective except for short spurts because of LT's injury. Next season they will be going in healthy with a complete offseason regimine and the runningback situation addressed one way or another. There won't be players whining about not running the ball enough either. Last year was a transition and that's over with. On defense, Merriman is going to provide a boost to the entire unit. Ron Rivera will finish washing off the Cottrell stench. Antonio Cromartie will get a new hip and get 30 picks. You'll see! 12 wins next year.

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Antonio Cromartie didn't break his hip until he was forced to tackle a very large man 19 times after getting beat 19 times. I heard it on the light rail.

400HZ
01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Antonio Cromartie didn't break his hip until he was forced to tackle a very large man 19 times after getting beat 19 times. I heard it on the light rail.

Marshall had 19 receptions against a guy playing with a broken hip. Woohoo! http://www.leisurelasvegas.net/forum/images/smilies/big/puppyvs0.gif

broncofan2438
01-18-2009, 03:13 PM
But but the only jersey chugger fans have is LT

Inkana7
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Marshall had 19 receptions against a guy playing with a broken hip. Woohoo! http://www.leisurelasvegas.net/forum/images/smilies/big/puppyvs0.gif

I was implying that it was Marshall who broke his hip.

Right over the head!

azbroncfan
01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
The Chargers scored the second most points in the NFL in 2008. That was with Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates, and several starting linemen rehabbing major injuries throughout the offseason and first half of the regular season. The run game was ineffective except for short spurts because of LT's injury. Next season they will be going in healthy with a complete offseason regimine and the runningback situation addressed one way or another. There won't be players whining about not running the ball enough either. Last year was a transition and that's over with. On defense, Merriman is going to provide a boost to the entire unit. Ron Rivera will finish washing off the Cottrell stench. Antonio Cromartie will get a new hip and get 30 picks. You'll see! 12 wins next year.

Where is Norv in the equation? I think you are forgetting the Norv'd factor.

epicSocialism4tw
01-18-2009, 08:07 PM

The window was never really open that wide to begin with in retrospect, but if this last pitiful season didnt bring the point home with emphasis, then you just arent paying much attention.

richpjr
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
one good thing came up from his decline. this season showed that without LT or a dominant running game that Rivers wasn't able to carry the load the way all SD Homers believe.

Us on the other hand, we saw that Jay was capable of getting us to 8-8 on his arm alone

Uhh.... Do you even watch football? With LT a dinged up shell of himself for virtually the entire season, Rivers somehow managed to lead the league in QB rating and TD passes, the Chargers were 2nd in the NFL in scoring and they won the division and a playoff game. If anything, he elevated his game to the next level. It's okay to be a Cutler fan, but to pretend like Rivers wasn't the reason the Chargers even made it as far as they did is pretty ignorant.

boltaneer
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Uhh.... Do you even watch football? With LT a dinged up shell of himself for virtually the entire season, Rivers somehow managed to lead the league in QB rating and TD passes, the Chargers were 2nd in the NFL in scoring and they won the division and a playoff game. If anything, he elevated his game to the next level. It's okay to be a Cutler fan, but to pretend like Rivers wasn't the reason the Chargers even made it as far as they did is pretty ignorant.

I'm convinced that the Bronco fans that normally post hate in Charger threads here don't actually watch Charger games.

At least I hope so. If not, they're complete homers or they're totally clueless to football.

epicSocialism4tw
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM

I'm not so sure that the place that Rivers led the Chargers to was something to be proud of.

Broncos fans would be disappointed by such a showing, as they should be.

richpjr
01-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not so sure that the place that Rivers led the Chargers to was something to be proud of.

Broncos fans would be disappointed by such a showing, as they should be.

I'm not making any comment about whether fans of either team should be real proud of the seasons they had. But I do find it funny that Rivers is being ripped for an 8-8 regular season and a playoff win and cutler is being praised for an 8-8 season, while not even making the playoffs.

epicSocialism4tw
01-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm not making any comment about whether fans of either team should be real proud of the seasons they had. But I do find it funny that Rivers is being ripped for an 8-8 regular season and a playoff win and cutler is being praised for an 8-8 season, while not even making the playoffs.

Well, you have to realize that many Broncos fans get dreamy-eyed over QB's.

Other than that, I'm not sure that you'll find a Broncos fan who was happy with the outcome of the season.

rovolution
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM

ROFL! god damn that was a good one. even i have to give you props on that one dude.

cutthemdown
01-19-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm convinced that the Bronco fans that normally post hate in Charger threads here don't actually watch Charger games.

At least I hope so. If not, they're complete homers or they're totally clueless to football.

In all fairness Rivers is vastly underrated by Broncos fans because we don't like him.

Also though we have dealt with arrogant Charger fans who don't realize their team has never won a thing. Broncos were the team that broke the AFC drought and ushered in the era of parity. Also we were the team that went along with the Bills and tried to dethrone the NFC giants that were dominating the whole division. True Chargers went once and took some of that medicine themselves one yr to the Shannahan led niner offense.

The thing is though that Charger fans last few yrs have been acting like they are elite when all they have done is beat Broncos/Raiders/Chiefs when they are down and rebuilding. When Broncos went to the Superbowl in 97 we had to go through division winning KC, the AFC west was tough back then.

Even in a yr where the AFC west is crap, the Chargers are favored for Superbowl by many experts, all they can do is lose and be 8-8? Give me a break Broncos have never tanked a yr that bad even considering this yrs epic meltdown.

Chargers should win a Superbowl for once then maybe we would look up to you and say wow? That Charger team is something else. Instead we will say they ain't crap, never have been, never will be. That's how it has been since the merger.

400HZ
01-19-2009, 07:56 AM
The window was never really open that wide to begin with in retrospect, but if this last pitiful season didnt bring the point home with emphasis, then you just arent paying much attention.

I wouldn't call it a completely pitiful season. The Chargers dealt with a ton of injuries to star players and lost a lot of close games, but they also knocked off one of the hottest teams in the NFL once the postseason began. Norv is dragging us down, but San Diego can still win in spite of him. They need to add some big hungry mean mother****ers in the trenches to beat teams like Pittsburgh though. Getting Merriman back is going to be awesome.

Karenin
01-19-2009, 08:03 AM
they also knocked off one of the hottest teams in the NFL once the postseason began.

How many trophies do you get for that? Are you going to be able to find room for them in your trophy case?

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/GIANTSREAGLEKILLERS/Trophy_Case.jpg

400HZ
01-19-2009, 08:13 AM
How many trophies do you get for that? Are you going to be able to find room for them in your trophy case?

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/GIANTSREAGLEKILLERS/Trophy_Case.jpg

http://www.laughteryoga.org/drkataria/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/israel-125year-old-man-laughing.jpg

socalorado
01-19-2009, 08:14 AM
http://www.laughteryoga.org/drkataria/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/israel-125year-old-man-laughing.jpg

The old man down the road.........