PDA

View Full Version : D.J. update from Denver Post

HEAV
01-17-2009, 07:13 AM
D.J. update

Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams will have shoulder surgery Monday. Meanwhile, his younger brother Worrell Williams, an inside linebacker from Cal, has secured his big brother's agent, Troy Fleming. Worrell Williams is projected to go from the third to fifth round in the upcoming round.

Question is: Will big brother again play his little brother's position of inside linebacker? D.J. Williams played strongside linebacker in 2006, middle linebacker in 2007 and his natural weakside linebacker position in 2008. But if the Broncos switch to the 3-4 defense this year, D.J. Williams could become a candidate to move back to the inside. The Broncos are expected to allow Nate Webster to become a free agent, leaving their current roster with far more starting outside linebackers (Jamie Winborn, Boss Bailey, Wesley Woodyard, Williams) than inside backers (reserves Spencer Larsen and Niko Koutouvides).

Because Williams has demonstrated versatility and is not considered a prototype 3-4 outside linebacker, he may be moving again.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11473959?source=rss
--------------

No real info on how serious the surgery is going to be...

Atwater His Ass
01-17-2009, 07:18 AM
What's the report on little Williams? Worth looking at in the later rounds?

TheDave
01-17-2009, 07:28 AM
I think we need to take a break from bringing in siblings of current players...

HEAV
01-17-2009, 07:37 AM
What's the report on little Williams? Worth looking at in the later rounds?

Worrell Williams

6'-2" 243

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MsQSP3DdgoQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MsQSP3DdgoQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNA95wjtCVQ
Long video of the entire LB corps, just look for #1 makes plays.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56541&draftyear=2009&genpos=ILB

Harvitz81
01-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Williams actually looks pretty good in those vids. I think it would be worth taking a flyer on him if he is there in the 4th. God knows we can use all the LB help we can get.....

tsiguy96
01-17-2009, 09:36 AM
i dont think we even consider it. i dont think have brothers on the same side of the ball creates a weird environment if one needs to get cut....

DarkHorse30
01-17-2009, 09:56 AM
i dont think we even consider it. i dont think have brothers on the same side of the ball creates a weird environment if one needs to get cut....

Not only that, if one is always injured (Boss) than his brother starts getting injured.

I can't wait for a new DC to come in here, clean house and start from scratch. Denver won't have a great defense until that happens.

eddie mac
01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Worrell is a 3-4 LB, DJ isn't and will need some work to fit any 3-4 scheme.

azbroncfan
01-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd be happy moving DJ for a decent pick if Den is going to run a 3-4 but I doubt he is moveable with his new deal. I don't like him as an ILB and his pass rushing skills don't fit an OLB in a 3-4.

Popps
01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
DJ sucked ass on the inside. He was horrible.

UberBroncoMan
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Worrell Williams

6'-2" 243

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MsQSP3DdgoQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MsQSP3DdgoQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNA95wjtCVQ
Long video of the entire LB corps, just look for #1 makes plays.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56541&draftyear=2009&genpos=ILB

Little FYI... that kid isn't 6'2. He's 5'11.

HEAV
01-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Little FYI... that kid isn't 6'2. He's 5'11.

Just depends what scout site you go to for the info. One has him at 5-11 another say's 6-0 even, then one had him at 6'-2".

http://california.scout.com/a.z?s=166&p=8&c=1&nid=3701603

But from looking at him (compared to other team-mates) I'd say he's below 6'-0".

01/13/09 - East-West Shrine Monday practice: Cal's Worrell Williams looked pretty small among his defensive bretheren but was very active, as usual. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFL Draft Scout

NFLBRONCO
01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah lets put a guy with shoulder issues at ILB great idea.

Atwater His Ass
01-17-2009, 05:30 PM

You all are missing the point. Regardless of what ever name is on the back of his jersey, we need players on defense period. If he can be a good late round pick, it would be stupid not to pick just because of who he is, all other things considered.

BroncoMan4ever
01-17-2009, 05:56 PM
i say we try to unload DJ this offseason. and don't even bother with his younger brother

kappys
01-17-2009, 06:35 PM

He was more or less mediocre IMO. That said if we switch to a 3-4 he'll probably have to start somewhere. Its not like we have any other talent at LB and we would probably need 3 others before being able to consider moving DJ.

That said these shoulder problems have started to make me very nervous after the Al Wilson saga. Hopefully DJ can come back to his above average play in the 4-3 or 3-4.

Popps
01-17-2009, 07:07 PM
i say we try to unload DJ this offseason. and don't even bother with his younger brother

I imagine there would be major cap hit implications after signing him to a massive contract. (Ugh.)

If we keep the 4-3 in place, he's at least average with a good DL in front of him. He's fast and can generally tackle.

If we switch to a 3-4, I hate the idea of him in the middle and he's far from the prototype 3-4 OLB.

Not sure where this all leaves Woodyard, either. I think he's way too small for ILB in the 3-4, but I do like him as our starter in the 4-3.

Then we've got Boss Bailey's useless ass to deal with. He's like DJ Williams-lite. Great athlete, marginal instincts and the guy can't stay on the field for 10 plays in a row without limping off.

I really hate our ****ing defense. Have I mentioned that?

BroncoBuff
01-17-2009, 07:13 PM

He started out horrible, but week after week he improved ... and the Will in the 3-4 (as opposed to the Jack) is not the same as MLB.

According to Drek, the Jack is the FAR weakside spot (like Demarcus Ware or Terrell Suggs), and sometimes the Jack goes down in a 3-points stance ... which leaves the Will like a traditional Will.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2253375

socalorado
01-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I imagine there would be major cap hit implications after signing him to a massive contract. (Ugh.)

If we keep the 4-3 in place, he's at least average with a good DL in front of him. He's fast and can generally tackle.

If we switch to a 3-4, I hate the idea of him in the middle and he's far from the prototype 3-4 OLB.

Not sure where this all leaves Woodyard, either. I think he's way too small for ILB in the 3-4, but I do like him as our starter in the 4-3.

Then we've got Boss Bailey's useless ass to deal with. He's like DJ Williams-lite. Great athlete, marginal instincts and the guy can't stay on the field for 10 plays in a row without limping off.

YES. DJ sucked @$$ on the inside. Yes, he will require a 13 mil roster bonus if DEN unloads him ( i thinK, ask Eddie Mac).
So DEN sticks him at the OLB spot opposite Suggs, (please!) and they deal with him for a year. All DEN can do.
WWIII, lose some weight, and go to SS. He can play at the LOS on DJs side and help him out.

azbroncfan
01-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Where would you play MR ENGLEBERGER? Can you imagine him as a DE in a 3-4 getting run over consistently or lining up at rush OLB? If he was put at OLB the only time pass rush and Engleberger would be used in same sentence would be position/lineup introductions.

Drek
01-17-2009, 08:33 PM
He started out horrible, but week after week he improved ... and the Will in the 3-4 (as opposed to the Jack) is not the same as MLB.

According to Drek, the Jack is the FAR weakside spot (like Demarcus Ware or Terrell Suggs), and sometimes the Jack goes down in a 3-points stance ... which leaves the Will like a traditional Will.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2253375

I got a bunch of that from various articles that TheDave posted that break the 3-4 down, can't recall the threads but if you dig back a few days it was in the several threads shortly after the Capers/Nolan rumors started popping up where people wanted a breakdown of the 3-4.

Reading a few more of them I've seen that the terminology for the positions does change. Some call it jack - will - mike - sam. Some call it will - mac - mike - sam.

The gist of them all though from a LB perspective is that the weak side ILB is responsible for back side protection and really plays a lot of the same roles a WLB plays in the 3-4, just a little bit more in traffic.

I think its a job DJ can do well. He came around pretty well at MLB by the end of '07 and he won't be responsible for nearly the same level of gap filling assignments.

My biggest concern with DJ is having some discipline. He makes a lot of plays but he has his share of mental gaffes and a move to the 3-4 might make it all even worse. But then Nolan has a history of doing some great things with LBs at multiple stops.

BroncoMan4ever
01-17-2009, 09:05 PM

if we stay in a 4-3 i say start Woodyard trade DJ for whatever we can get, and start fresh with a new MIKE and SAM.

and if we go to a 3-4 i say trade DJ for whatever we can get. ****ing Shanahan bent us over a barrel giving DJ a loaded contract and not way to get out of it.

BroncoBuff
01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I think its a job DJ can do well. He came around pretty well at MLB by the end of '07 and he won't be responsible for nearly the same level of gap filling assignments.
Good ... I think we should be able to utilize DJ in any scheme.

The bolded blue part is for Popps. Learn, Popps! Learn, dammit!

Florida_Bronco
01-17-2009, 09:11 PM
if we stay in a 4-3 i say start Woodyard trade DJ for whatever we can get, and start fresh with a new MIKE and SAM.

and if we go to a 3-4 i say trade DJ for whatever we can get. ****ing Shanahan bent us over a barrel giving DJ a loaded contract and not way to get out of it.

DJ is not going to get traded, especially after a season when he was a mid-season All-Pro

~Crash~
01-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Yep sucks ass big time ass tackler

~Crash~
01-17-2009, 09:32 PM
trade DJ for a bag of peanuts

Popps
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Where would you play MR ENGLEBERGER? Can you imagine him as a DE in a 3-4 getting run over consistently or lining up at rush OLB? If he was put at OLB the only time pass rush and Engleberger would be used in same sentence would be position/lineup introductions.

Hilarious!

Rep for the best laugh I've had today.

socalorado
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM

Cant trade him. Its a 13 million dollar hit on the cap. I believe thats what eddie mac stated, so its just too mich money.
DJ is not a thumper though. He isnt going to be able to destroy and take on o-linemen in the 3-4 the way they are supposed to at times. He isnt going to be able to meet FBs or RBs at the LOS like a freight train, simply because he would rather juke a player with his athleticism, and then try to make a tackle. Thats great in open space, but were talking about the LOS at the point of attack in the 3-4. I dont see him being able to play ILB.
I think getting Suggs for the JACK, and having DJ play the other OLB spot is the best DEN can hope for this year.

SoCalBronco
01-17-2009, 10:09 PM
trade DJ for a bag of peanuts

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of ungratefulness and spite (and stupidity) our fans show towards a consummate professional who just had his finest season and played with alot of pain. God forbid anyone would appreciate that. You should be ashamed of yourself.

azbroncfan
01-17-2009, 10:11 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of ungratefulness and spite (and stupidity) our fans show towards a consummate professional who just had his finest season and played with alot of pain. God forbid anyone would appreciate that. You should be ashamed of yourself.

How about for a pick? I know how much you love them. I think most of us realize he is here for a couple more years due to his contract.

Florida_Bronco
01-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Co-sign.

SoCalBronco
01-17-2009, 10:19 PM
How about for a pick? I know how much you love them. I think most of us realize he is here for a couple more years due to his contract.

Looking back on it, it might have been better for him to go elsewhere. He would have been appreciated more and he wouldn't have coaching staffs ****ing him around every offseason. It's unfortunate that he'll have to be subjected to this crap for a few more years. I feel bad for him. I'm glad he got paid though, he deserved it, especially for all the **** he's had to put up with.

NFLBRONCO
01-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Looking back on it, it might have been better for him to go elsewhere. He would have been appreciated more and he wouldn't have coaching staffs ****ing him around every offseason. It's unfortunate that he'll have to be subjected to this crap for a few more years. I feel bad for him. I'm glad he got paid though, he deserved it, especially for all the **** he's had to put up with.

This is exactly why I think he should be traded. The poor guy gets moved all the time and can't ever settle into one spot. He deserves a place that uses his skills and appreciates his willness to be a team player.

I feel the same way about Champ let him play on a better team while we rebuild our D totally.

cutthemdown
01-17-2009, 11:06 PM
He was more or less mediocre IMO. That said if we switch to a 3-4 he'll probably have to start somewhere. Its not like we have any other talent at LB and we would probably need 3 others before being able to consider moving DJ.

That said these shoulder problems have started to make me very nervous after the Al Wilson saga. Hopefully DJ can come back to his above average play in the 4-3 or 3-4.

in the NFL mediocre=crap

Florida_Bronco
01-17-2009, 11:23 PM
in the NFL mediocre=crap

Medicore = average.

Popps
01-17-2009, 11:27 PM

ROFL!

Not even sure where to start, but let's just say I agree that going elsewhere would have been the best thing for everyone involved.

Drek
01-18-2009, 04:12 AM
This is exactly why I think he should be traded. The poor guy gets moved all the time and can't ever settle into one spot. He deserves a place that uses his skills and appreciates his willness to be a team player.

I feel the same way about Champ let him play on a better team while we rebuild our D totally.

We've got an entirely different regime now, I don't see DJ switching positions again after Nolan identifies his best fit in his system and transitions him to it.

You can find a lot of reasons to question Nolan's tenure in SF and even some reasons to be iffy on his previous DC stops, but everywhere he's been he's developed LBs with great success.

DivineLegion
01-18-2009, 11:36 AM

You see SoCal our problem is we failed to give DJ a catchy nickname that makes people feel more connected with him. If we would have started out by calling him DJ Pops, as if he were an actual dj I bet people would have actually payed attention to his play on the field. Wesley Woodyard had a few decent games this season and disappeared in a few as well but because he was granted the nickname WWIII he had a cult following before he hit the field.

Its just like how Al Wilson used to get so much flack from this board until he was gone, thats when people realized what we were missing. Maybe DJ should have gone somewhere else and been apart of a team that acctualy cared about the defensive side of the ball, so he could have played to his full potential instead of getting beat up behind a patchwork line for 4 years. This defense could have buried Mike Singaltary and made him look mediocre, hell its already made people question one of the greatest corners in NFL history.

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Good ... I think we should be able to utilize DJ in any scheme.

The bolded blue part is for Popps. Learn, Popps ... Learn, dammit!

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Agree completely. It's one thing to opine he is not quite Pro-Bowl caliber, I can live with that. But any decent fan should appreciate his skills, after all, he led the entire NFL in tackles and had 3 sacks into Week 7 when he got hurt ... and it's his first year back (after 3 away from) his proper position. I'm kinda surprised (and pleased) he didn't just say 'screw it,' and test free agency.

Nothing like scape-goating our 2nd-best defensive player ... sheesh, get a grip :oyvey:

broncogary
01-18-2009, 03:48 PM

I know. Why did you keep doing that to Ian Gold? :rofl:

Popps
01-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Agree completely. It's one thing to opine he is not quite Pro-Bowl caliber, I can live with that. But any decent fan should appreciate his skills, after all, he led the entire NFL in tackles and had 3 sacks into Week 7 when he got hurt ... and it's his first year back (after 3 away from) his proper position. I'm kinda surprised (and pleased) he didn't just say 'screw it,' and test free agency.

Nothing like scape-goating our 2nd-best defensive player ... sheesh, get a grip :oyvey:

Our defensive line is horrible. Someone has to tackle people. Williams is fast, and he's a good tackler. So, again... high tackle numbers really aren't a direct sign of production. Wasn't Manuel our 3rd leading tackler? Should I draw any conclusions from that?

Williams just never makes big plays. How many strips, INTs, sacks, tackles for loss does this guy make on a regular basis? Not many.

He's fine in the system we used to run, where all he had to do was chase. He's a chaser. He's a runner. He's not an instinctual football player.

Look, it's not a coincidence that the guy gets so little respect around here.
No one is "scapegoating" him, we just have a younger, potentially more talented player at the same position and it creates an issue.

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Look, it's not a coincidence that the guy gets so little respect around here.
"So little respect"?! ... man, you really really REALLY missed the boat on this one, ... ;D

In an OrangeMane poll this week (might still be open), DJ Williams actually beat Champ Bailey as the #1 guy OM users want to keep on the roster for next year. Look it up. Actually, I'll link it here in a second .....

broncogary
01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
"So little respect"?! ... man, you really really REALLY missed the boat on this one, ... ;D

In an OrangeMane poll this week (might still be open), DJ Williams actually beat Champ Bailey as the #1 guy OM users want to keep on the roster for next year. Look it up. Actually, I'll link it here in a second .....

I know. He is fun to argue about. :wiggle:

Popps
01-18-2009, 04:01 PM

I believe you. There are plenty of goofballs here. I'm just saying the mere fact that there is SO much disagreement on the guy tells you that maybe it's not as clear cut as you and SoCal think.

Take a guy like Al Wlison, and you rarely saw any disagreement. He just always looked like a great player.

Everyone seems to be unanimous on Woodyard, in that they think he's a pretty promising player.

The fact that 80% of the forum thinks DJ is NOT a Pro Bowl caliber player tells you that there is a lot of uncertainty out there. Again, this isn't PROOF of anything either way, but you just can't talk about this guy like he's some sort of accepted great player around here, because he's not.

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Actually Champ Bailey moved ahead of DJ Williams. By a grand total of ONE vote: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76231 So Popps ... you're wrong, D.J. gets mad support here. And THAT'S a fact.

Now, your argument about DJ "doesn't make big plays" resonantes because it's kinda true. But in response, he was playing outta position for three years. This year back at Will, he had 2 1/2 sacks in 6 1/2 games before he was hurt, and the Broncos paid him big money.

DJ Williams Sack History:

2004 - Rookie WLB: 2 sacks
2005-07 -SLB/MLB: 2 sacks total in three years
2008 - Back at WLB: 2 1/2 sacks

Big plays happen far more often from the weakside of course.

And leading the entire NFL in tackles is definitely impressive ... you can't just pass it off as "he's fast." It takes a lot more than speed to beat out the rest of the league in tackles.

BroncoBuff
01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
I believe you. There are plenty of goofballs here. I'm just saying the mere fact that there is SO much disagreement on the guy tells you that maybe it's not as clear cut as you and SoCal think.

Take a guy like Al Wlison, and you rarely saw any disagreement. He just always looked like a great player.

Everyone seems to be unanimous on Woodyard, in that they think he's a pretty promising player.

The fact that 80% of the forum thinks DJ is NOT a Pro Bowl caliber player tells you that there is a lot of uncertainty out there. Again, this isn't PROOF of anything either way, but you just can't talk about this guy like he's some sort of accepted great player around here, because he's not.Fair enough response, we crossed posts, but you responded well here I think.

BTW, I love Woodyard, I was pimping him even before the draft ... but he's no D.J. Williams, not yet anyway.

And one more thing. Just because you don't think DJ is Pro Bowl caliber does NOT mean you're "uncertain" about him. Afrer all, he miussed half the season, as Champ did, and Champ didn't make the Pro Bowl, either. The point is (for me anyway) that D.J. was getting highl;y credible Pro Bowl buzz when he was hurt.

The weird part of all this is, I am not some enormous DJ Williams fan ... ???

broncogary
01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
And one more thing. Just because you don't think DJ is Pro Bowl caliber does NOT mean you're "uncertain" about him. Afrer all, he miussed half the season, as Champ did, and Champ didn't make the Pro Bowl, either. The point is (for me anyway) that D.J. was getting highl;y credible Pro Bowl buzz when he was hurt.

The weirder part is that DJ Williams missed the Pro Bowl every year.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll laugh my ass off if DJ goes to the same team that, that in a couple of years, Shanny starts to Coach for...

Especially if we ever play them...

We will see where true allegiances lie...

Especially among certain posters...

Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I'll laugh my ass off if DJ goes to the same team that, that in a couple of years, Shanny starts to Coach for...

Especially if we ever play them...

We will see where true allegiances lie...

Especially among certain posters...

Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

Says the guy who knifed his university in the back when the going got tough and jumped on the U$C bandwagon because it was easier than being loyal during a crisis and/or bad times.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Says the guy who knifed his university in the back when the going got tough and jumped on the U$C bandwagon because it was easier than being loyal during a crisis.

LOL Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

I just watch the college games for fun... I don't really care that much who really wins... I just the games for FUN...

I did get a kick out of what Tebow did this season...

FUN... you know that word, that you might want to put into your dictionary, because its sure doesn't seem to be there lately...

And carry on making a drama out of anything...

I'm sure you feel much better about yourself now that put somebody else down...

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 07:10 PM
LOL Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

I just watch the college games for fun... I don't really care that much who really wins... I just the games for FUN...

I did get a kick out of what Tebow did this season...

FUN... you know that word, that you might want to put into your dictionary, because its sure doesn't seem to be there lately...

And carry on making a drama out of anything...

I'm sure you feel much better about yourself now that put somebody else down...

Facts are facts. And the facts show that you have no business questioning anyone's loyalty given what you did to your own college team.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
BTW- DJ in the Middle wasn't even half the Linebacker that the mighty webster was...

MLB-- webster > dj

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 07:18 PM
BTW- DJ in the Middle wasn't even half the Linebacker that the mighty webster was...

MLB-- webster > dj

No way man. Sorry, but that is just insane. DJ was playing pretty decent at MLB by the end of 2007.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Facts are facts. And the facts show that you have no business questioning anyone's loyalty given what you did to your own college team.

give me a MF break... My team? Hilarious!

Since when was CU my team... CU wasn't my University... never went there...

You don't know me from Jack Adam, and thank the gracious lord above, I don't know you from Jack, Adam or anybody else on the face of this planet... I count my lucky stars everyday...

Yeah facts are facts, unless they are posts by SoCalBronco.

So go ahead and ROOT for the Denver Broncos to LOOSE again...

College before NFL, Party before Country... real nice... :pity:

SoCalBronco
01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
give me a MF break... My team? Hilarious!

Since when was CU my team... CU wasn't my University...

Is that so?

Care to explain this, then?

You have got me pegged all wrong. Major misjudgement.

I was a big CU Fan, I grew up about 5 blocks from CU. Hell, I saw Paul McCartney and The Who at Folsom field. I got so upset, no, really, I got embarrassed at being a CU fan because of how they have completely mis-managed that program. It started by the hiring of (who I cannot stand) Rick Nueheisel...

I have only watched USC for the last 3 to 4 years, and I love their team, the program and the way they go about doing business. I think Pete Carrol is great, and a real breath of fresh air.

I am a Bronco fan first and foremost. Over all sports. But its the Broncos fan in me that absolutely loves the USC football team since Pete Carrol has taken over. Their D is fun to watch, but I love the way they run their O. It reminds me of Denver's Superbowl years. (for a college team...)

I like the USC Trojans for the same reasons I love the Denver Broncos.

I would still be a CU fan, if they hadn't mess every thing up so much. I am really much more of a PRO football fan, and really the main reason I watch and follow college football is for the draft.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=599103&highlight=blocks#post599103

Yeah....what loyalty you show. It's a shining example. I wonder how BroncoBuff and other real CU fans feel about you. It's not enough for you to turn on your own team when times got tough.....but apparently now you deny ever rooting for the team you grew up 5 blocks away from.

That's rich. What's even more rich is that you have the temerity to be questioninig anyone else's loyalty.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 07:32 PM
No way man. Sorry, but that is just insane. DJ was playing pretty decent at MLB by the end of 2007.

He did a real good job of giving up 1st downs... but he sure made the tackles (ten yards down the field), so there's that...

It will be interesting to see how the new staff manages things. There won't be the blind loyalties anymore (Dingleberries, Nate Jackson, DJ...)

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 07:33 PM
He did a real good job of giving up 1st downs... but he sure made the tackles (ten yards down the field), so there's that...

It will be interesting to see how the new staff manages things. There won't be the blind loyalties anymore (Dingleberries, Nate Jackson, DJ...)

That may have been true at the beginning of the season, but towards the end DJ was giving us pretty solid play at MLB, certainly better than what Nate has given us.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Is that so?

Care to explain this, then?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=599103&highlight=blocks#post599103

Yeah....what loyalty you show. It's a shining example. I wonder how BroncoBuff and other real CU fans feel about you. It's not enough for you to turn on your own team when times got tough.....but apparently now you deny ever rooting for the team you grew up 5 blocks away from.

That's rich. What's even more rich is that you have the temerity to be questioninig anyone else's loyalty.

You don't know how to have a little fun or sarcasm do you...

The only team I AM a big FAN of is the BRONCOS...

and I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ROOT for them to LOOSE...

But go on with your bad self if you want to root AGAINST the Broncos Winning...

I am sure some time in the future you will again root for the Broncos to LOOSE... probably sometime after DJ has LEFT THE TEAM...

Popps
01-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Well, we agree on that. :)

There are worse out there, no question. For me... he's just not my kind of player. He's a chaser, and a product of the prior regime's style of defense. He's not a big hitter and never strikes me as a guy who's out there blowing up plays with his football instincts.

Again, if we don't have Woodyard waiting in the wings... we're probably not having this conversation. We've clearly got much, much bigger problems.

Dean
01-18-2009, 07:51 PM

As an inside LB last year D. J. had 141 tackles. Of those 106 were solo. I' ll admit that he started slow but the last of the season he was playing well for a player in his first year at a position.

You may not have like him as an ILB but "sucked ass" is being a bit of a revisionist.
:blowhorn:

Play2win
01-18-2009, 07:54 PM
That may have been true at the beginning of the season, but towards the end DJ was giving us pretty solid play at MLB, certainly better than what Nate has given us.

I didn't see anything that has ever impressed me about DJ out of the MLB position. WILL, is of course, different. But, I think at the end of the season people were actually thinking DJ was playing good, because he wasn't playing flat-out aweful... while he was still playing pretty bad...

Its like if someone was out in the high desert for a week with little to no water...

Then he finally gets rescued and is given a TINY sip of water... "MAN, That was sure a nice GLASS of water"...

That wasn't a GLASS of water, or ever a drink of water, it was a tiny sip...

all DJ Williams is at MLB is a tiny sip, and he's no where close to a full freaking glass of water...

The saddest part of our sad defense that year was DJ at MIKE...

Play2win
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
As an inside LB last year D. J. had 141 tackles. Of those 106 were solo. I' ll admit that he started slow but the last of the season he was playing well for a player in his first year at a position.

You may not have like him as an ILB but "sucked ass" is being a bit of a revisionist.
:blowhorn:

How many of those tackle were after first downs?

How many were at least 5 yards past the line of scrimage?

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I didn't see anything that has ever impressed me about DJ out of the MLB position. WILL, is of course, different. But, I think at the end of the season people were actually thinking DJ was playing good, because he wasn't playing flat-out aweful... while he was still playing pretty bad...

Its like if someone was out in the high desert for a week with little to no water...

Then he finally gets rescued and is given a TINY sip of water... "MAN, That was sure a nice GLASS of water"...

That wasn't a GLASS of water, or ever a drink of water, it was a tiny sip...

all DJ Williams is at MLB is a tiny sip, and he's no where close to a full freaking glass of water...

The saddest part of our sad defense that year was DJ at MIKE...

Sure, he wasn't Al Wilson 2.0 but he was a serviceable starter. Of course he was out of position and was Pro Bowl caliber back at WLB.

azbroncfan
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
How many of those tackle were after first downs?

How many were at least 5 yards past the line of scrimage?

Probably 100 of them. Having a lot of tackles usually is a sign of a terrible defense.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Probably 100 of them. Having a lot of tackles usually is a sign of a terrible defense.

Yeah, part of someone-- anyone, having a lot of tackles... Is that your defense, as a whole, cannot get the other team off the field.

Tackles for losses, 3rd down stops, goal line stops... those are signs of good defenses... just a bunch of tackles, not necessarily so...

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Again, that is absurd. Jim Bate's scheme is designed to funnel plays to the MLB. Zach Thomas wasn't horrible when he was racking up around 150 tackles each year in the scheme.

azbroncfan
01-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Again, that is absurd. Jim Bate's scheme is designed to funnel plays to the MLB. Zach Thomas wasn't horrible when he was racking up around 150 tackles each year in the scheme.

How many times was Thomas a probowler or all pro? His defenses were good so that says more about Thomas than DJ's ability to make a ton of tackles on a bottom feeder run defense.

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
How many times was Thomas a probowler or all pro? His defenses were good so that says more about Thomas than DJ's ability to make a ton of tackles on a bottom feeder run defense.

What does that have to do with anything? If anything it proves my point that just because you have alot of tackles doesn't mean you're making them 5 yards downfield or have a horrible defense.

Play2win
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Sure, he wasn't Al Wilson 2.0 but he was a serviceable starter. Of course he was out of position and was Pro Bowl caliber back at WLB.

:throws up alittle bit in his mouth:

Did you just say "AL WILSON" in the same sentence you were talking about DJ with... :twitch:

My view is DJ is a good WLB, and could possibly be great at WLB if he was in the right system, but that he is absolutely horrendous at MLB.

Thats my opinion. And it will remain so.

azbroncfan
01-18-2009, 08:36 PM
What does that have to do with anything? If anything it proves my point that just because you have alot of tackles doesn't mean you're making them 5 yards downfield or have a horrible defense.

But 90 percent of DJ's were. DJ was terrible at MLB and that is why he was moved again. Don't know why you have to argue he was so great because obviously the coaching staff didn't think he was good there.

Florida_Bronco
01-18-2009, 08:48 PM
But 90 percent of DJ's were.

DJ was terrible at MLB and that is why he was moved again. Also false. He was moved because the team wanted him back in his natural position now that Gold was gone and because we had abandoned Bates' scheme.

Don't know why you have to argue he was so great because obviously the coaching staff didn't think he was good there.

I see what your problem is. You can't f'in read.

When you can explain to me how "serviceable" (my words) equals "great" then you can come back here and try to talk football. Until then, why don't you go take a seat and the kiddie table or something?