PDA

View Full Version : Gase as WR coach

NHAggie
01-17-2009, 08:02 AM
This information from Press Democrat (a newspaper in california?)

In other news, 49ers offensive assistant Adam Gase has accepted a position with the Denver Broncos as wide receivers coach, said a source close to Gase.

New Denver coach Josh McDaniels received permission from the 49ers this week to interview Gase, came to the 49ers after three seasons with the Lions. Gase was responsible for calling in the 49ers' offensive plays to the quarterbacks.

(bronco since 1960...

Rohirrim
01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Another branch from the Nick Saban tree.

Hamrob
01-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow the Lions and 49er's. He sure has accomplished alot! Mickey-D is sounding more and more like a young Shanahan....making sure to hire position coaches that are going to do as he says and only as he says.

Who the hell is this guy?

MechanicalBull
01-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Boy did he make the 49ers a good wr corps or what?::)

elsid13
01-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Bet you he's from Ohio.

TheDave
01-17-2009, 08:32 AM
meh...

elsid13
01-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Bad news - He was brought over to SF by Mad Matriz

As expected, the 49ers officially made Ted Tollner the team's quarterbacks coach today. Tollner has the additional title of "assistant to the head coach," which likely means Mike Nolan will frequently consult the veteran assistant throughout the year. The 49ers also hired Adam Gase as offensive assistant. Gase, 29, was offensive quality control coach under Mike Martz in Detroit in 2006 before moving up to quarterbacks coach last year. He will help install Martz's offense in San Francisco. The 49ers have not yet hired a running backs coach although Wilbert Montgomery is belived to be the leading candidate.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/010272.html

TheDave
01-17-2009, 08:36 AM
nintendo offense here we come...

elsid13
01-17-2009, 08:47 AM

Sweet we finally be able to go 6 WR like Mock wanted for a long time!

Rabb
01-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Wow the Lions and 49er's. He sure has accomplished alot! Mickey-D is sounding more and more like a young Shanahan....making sure to hire position coaches that are going to do as he says and only as he says.

Who the hell is this guy?

Yes because it is widely known that a WR Coach will completely make or break such terrific teams like the Lions and Niners of the last few years

::)

If the worst McDaniels turns out to be is a young Shanahan...then who ****ing cares?

My God people

backup qb
01-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Man, I can't believe he would want HIS assistants to do what he wants. Man, the nerve!!!

Paladin
01-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Anything over 24 points is not football. It is Arena League.......

Borks147
01-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Man, I can't believe he would want HIS assistants to do what he wants. Man, the nerve!!!

also, bringing in Nolan and retaining old timers like Turner and Dennison make this theory complete and utter bull****.

Ninjatime
01-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I was actually very dissappointed with out recievers this year. Watching other teams with recievers than run wide open off of cuts etc. Ours ALWAYS were covered, on every play. I don't know why this was, if it was bad routes or schemes or what, but I am very happy for the change.

NFLBRONCO
01-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Offense draft then :)

jhat01
01-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I was actually very dissappointed with out recievers this year. Watching other teams with recievers than run wide open off of cuts etc. Ours ALWAYS were covered, on every play. I don't know why this was, if it was bad routes or schemes or what, but I am very happy for the change.

Me too..aside from a hand full of blown coverage plays. Our guys seemed to be covered a lot. Probably had something to do with the running game too though

Domostick
01-17-2009, 12:33 PM
All three of our receivers were below average in DVOA which helps explain Cutlers high DYAR, ranked 5th even though his stats weren't as good as Rivers' and Manning's.

Royal was ranked 46th in DVOA and 32nd in DYAR.
Marshall was 58th and 48th.
Stokley was 55th and 58th.
Scheffler was 6th and 11th respectively and you could definitely tell the difference when he was in there catching those 25 yarders down the seam. Our offense was much more explosive especially in the redzone.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes because it is widely known that a WR Coach will completely make or break such terrific teams like the Lions and Niners of the last few years

::)

If the worst McDaniels turns out to be is a young Shanahan...then who ****ing cares?

My God people

You don't think they are right? McDaniels has been an offensive coordinator for 3 years, guided the most successful offense in the history of the NFL, so naturally he'll do whatever his WR coach says. The new WR coach is CLEARLY the master of the offense now, i think we'd be lucky if he even keeps McDaniels on the staff.

UberBroncoMan
01-17-2009, 01:38 PM
We got rid of Jedd Fisch for a 49er/Lion...

EDIT:

Found out why we got him.

He worked on Nick Saban's Michigan State team during the same time McDaniels was there.

This is entirely a hire based on a past friendship.

"Between 1996 and 1999, Gase earned a degree at Michigan State University where he also served as a student assistant for the Spartansí football program then led by Saban."

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=356

McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=24595

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Which is exactly what makes perfect sense. I'd much prefer a HC hire assistants that he knows well instead of those he can only rely on interviews to judge their worthiness.

rovolution
01-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Me too..aside from a hand full of blown coverage plays. Our guys seemed to be covered a lot. Probably had something to do with the running game too though

or Jays tendency to stare down targets

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-19-2009, 10:08 PM
We got rid of Jedd Fisch for a 49er/Lion...

EDIT:

Found out why we got him.

He worked on Nick Saban's Michigan State team during the same time McDaniels was there.

"Between 1996 and 1999, Gase earned a degree at Michigan State University where he also served as a student assistant for the Spartansí football program then led by Saban."

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=356

McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=24595

Nice find. Another great example of "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

SoCalBronco
01-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Sweet we finally be able to go 6 WR like Mock wanted for a long time!

I remember a couple years ago at camp, when the O was running its goalline offense....there was one play when they actually went empty backfield even though they were like on the 3 yard line. Khan and I immediately thought of Mock. :)

elsid13
01-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Which is exactly what makes perfect sense. I'd much prefer a HC hire assistants that he knows well instead of those he can only rely on interviews to judge their worthiness.

Yet when Shanahan did that half this place was up in arms.

cmhargrove
01-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Once again, this speaks more of McDaniels than anything.

He is picking guys he has firm control over.

Whatever his plan is, it looks like it will be installed without any coaches having a power play. I'm fine with this, although I liked what Fisch did last year.

Eddie Royal got open last year because he was fast. Brandon got extra yards because he is big and competitive. Scheffler did great because he is also a fast TE with good hands. Jim Goodman is more responsible for our passing game than Gase will be...