PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Bates' Fate: Why the Broncos Should Be Careful

dragondawg
01-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Now that the frenzy of new head coach Josh McDaniels has died down, the Denver Broncos have decisions to make regarding their assistant coaches. They should be very careful with how they handle quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates.

Bates joined the Denver Broncos in 2006, the same year that quarterback Jay Cutler was a rookie on the team. In the 2008 season, Bates took over the offensive playcalling duties and the offense prospered, rising to second in the NFL.

Now there have been reports that Bates is interviewing with the Oakland Raiders for the offensive coordinator position. McDaniels has already made it clear that he will be calling plays in 2009. It is likely that Bates wants to continue calling plays, whether or not it is for the Broncos.

The problem in all this lies with Jay Cutler. The 25-year-old had developed an extremely strong relationship with his quarterbacks coach and had lobbied hard for the Broncos to retain him in 2009.

If Bates should leave, Cutler will be extremely disappointed. Cutler is known as someone who expresses his views, even if they conflict with the team's. He criticized the decision to fire Mike Shanahan, and would undoubtedly make his voice heard if Bates takes another job.

Bates is one of the rising stars in the world of NFL offenses. He developed a series of plays that made the most of Jay Cutler's strengths, such as throwing out of the pocket. He led Cutler to a 4,500 yard season and made Jay a pro-bowler.

If Denver manages to retain him, he would most likely move up to the offensive coordinator position. Although McDaniels wants to call the plays, he should seriously consider sitting down with Bates and talking over the future.

The best scenario for the team would be a partnership between the two, with Bates and McDaniels coming up with plays together, although it would be Josh's voice in Jay's helmet.

Bates would contribute his knowledge of the current team to help get Josh up to speed, and he would continue his development of the bootleg passes for Cutler. McDaniels would contribute his knowledge of passing from the pocket, something Tom Brady was extremely good at.

Aside from coaching duties, Bates would continue to "hang out" with Cutler and be his mentor and friend in the locker room. It is important to have a quarterback (and offensive team captain) who is in high spirits all the time, and Bates has helped Jay do that in the past two seasons.

McDaniels figures to improve the offense, which means the Broncos would be the No. 1 offense in the NFL next season. Having another brilliant young offensive mind by his side as he does it would make the 2009 Broncos one of the best-coached offenses in NFL history.

Think about it, Josh!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/111820-jeremy-bates-fate-why-the-broncos-should-be-careful

2KBack
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
I was never sold on Bates
If Cutler has a problem with it, screw'em, he isn't bigger than the team

Houshyamama
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
OR, Cutler could grow up and realize this is a business.

Good-bye Bates

Ray Finkle
01-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Now that the frenzy of new head coach Josh McDaniels has died down, the Denver Broncos have decisions to make regarding their assistant coaches. They should be very careful with how they handle quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates.

Bates joined the Denver Broncos in 2006, the same year that quarterback Jay Cutler was a rookie on the team. In the 2008 season, Bates took over the offensive playcalling duties and the offense prospered, rising to second in the NFL.

Now there have been reports that Bates is interviewing with the Oakland Raiders for the offensive coordinator position. McDaniels has already made it clear that he will be calling plays in 2009. It is likely that Bates wants to continue calling plays, whether or not it is for the Broncos.

The problem in all this lies with Jay Cutler. The 25-year-old had developed an extremely strong relationship with his quarterbacks coach and had lobbied hard for the Broncos to retain him in 2009.

If Bates should leave, Cutler will be extremely disappointed. Cutler is known as someone who expresses his views, even if they conflict with the team's. He criticized the decision to fire Mike Shanahan, and would undoubtedly make his voice heard if Bates takes another job.

Bates is one of the rising stars in the world of NFL offenses. He developed a series of plays that made the most of Jay Cutler's strengths, such as throwing out of the pocket. He led Cutler to a 4,500 yard season and made Jay a pro-bowler.

If Denver manages to retain him, he would most likely move up to the offensive coordinator position. Although McDaniels wants to call the plays, he should seriously consider sitting down with Bates and talking over the future.

The best scenario for the team would be a partnership between the two, with Bates and McDaniels coming up with plays together, although it would be Josh's voice in Jay's helmet.

Bates would contribute his knowledge of the current team to help get Josh up to speed, and he would continue his development of the bootleg passes for Cutler. McDaniels would contribute his knowledge of passing from the pocket, something Tom Brady was extremely good at.

Aside from coaching duties, Bates would continue to "hang out" with Cutler and be his mentor and friend in the locker room. It is important to have a quarterback (and offensive team captain) who is in high spirits all the time, and Bates has helped Jay do that in the past two seasons.

McDaniels figures to improve the offense, which means the Broncos would be the No. 1 offense in the NFL next season. Having another brilliant young offensive mind by his side as he does it would make the 2009 Broncos one of the best-coached offenses in NFL history.

Think about it, Josh!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/111820-jeremy-bates-fate-why-the-broncos-should-be-careful

stopped reading there....if that is the case, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Jay.

I really wish people would stop writing this crap. How do they know if Jay may prefer McDaniels offense to Bates?

SureShot
01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Cutler is a pro that wants to win I'm not worried.

DarkHorse30
01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I can't wait for McDaniels to tell Cutler to shut up and pay attention, and check down to the guy that isn't double covered. Maybe he should make him throw left-handed for the first hour of practice so that he can learn how to read defenses and take what is given.

Jay6Cutler
01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Jay needs to learn how to make better decisions. I would get rid of Bates just to prove a point that point would be I McDaniel’s run the team not jay

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Anything posted from the bleacher report is not thread worthy.

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Cutler and McD also had a lively and excited conversation. If Bates goes Cutler will soon realize that he actually just got an upgrade in QB coach and Coordinator.

no-pseudo-fan
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Wait and see. I want results, Bates was his friend, but this is a business.

dbfan4life
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM

Think about it, Josh!

I bolded everything I thought was interesting in this article.

Hamrob
01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't know about you folks...but I have zero loyalty to Mickey-D. He's a kid who just got the world handled to him. Hey, I hope he's the real deal. But, before I see that...I'm in Jay's corner.

Jay Cutler is the future of this team (period). He's going into this 4th year...his most important year...IMO. And, what happens...his world is turned upside down. Shanny is fired...and the entire coaching staff is up in the air...this after they fininshed up 2nd in the league in offense. So, is Jay a little pissed? Hell, I would be. Yeah, that's life...but it's still a hell of a punch in the gut...to a kid who was just starting to hit his stride.

Will Jay pull through...yeah...but I'm sure he'd like to have some sort of a security blanket. Mickey-D could meet with Bates...tell him that he wants him to learn his offense and that he will be able to contribute to it. Then let him know that in 2009...he will be calling the shots...and if Bates picks things up quickly and they are on the same page etc...then Bates will have the oppurtunity to start calling the plays again...perhaps in 2010.

That's the route I would take. Why? Because Mickey-D needs to coach the entire team...not just the Offense...and as the coach...he needs to show enough leadership...that he can coach Bates up and groom him to be a headcoach too. I think this approach would go along way to building team chemistry. Just my thinking!

ColoradoDarin
01-16-2009, 04:51 PM
In the 2008 season, Bates took over the offensive playcalling duties and the offense prospered, rising to second in the NFL.

The same offense that was 16th in scoring despite being #2 in yards? Prospered? Not quite the word I would have used.

Atwater His Ass
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't know why you guys get all huffy about Jay expressing his opinions to the media.

Rohirrim
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
WTF? Are we suddenly living in Emo-world? If Cutler doesn't like it, I'm sure he will be adult enough to know that's the way the business goes and move on.

NUB
01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't forget that Jay is also a part of the business and does, or should, have a say. Call it a "business" all you want, but if keeping Bates around is good for Jay then that's a good "business move" if I say so myself.

HEAV
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't know about you folks...but I have zero loyalty to Mickey-D. He's a kid who just got the world handled to him.

Couldn't the same be said about Jay Cutler? Shanny handed Jay everything, let the kids ego grow, fans proclaimed him the second coming of ELWAY, he's a rockstar in Denver.

Yet he hasn't won ****, he's shown immature actions, a lack of composure at times and almost as a sense of entitlement about him.

I like the kid, he's my quarterback, I support my quarterback, I support my head coach. But more important I love my team.

There was a Denver BRONCOS before Shanny,before Jay and there will be after.

Only one man stands eqaul with this franchise and he made this franchise. 7

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't know about you folks...but I have zero loyalty to Mickey-D. He's a kid who just got the world handled to him. Hey, I hope he's the real deal. But, before I see that...I'm in Jay's corner.

Jay Cutler is the future of this team (period). He's going into this 4th year...his most important year...IMO. And, what happens...his world is turned upside down. Shanny is fired...and the entire coaching staff is up in the air...this after they fininshed up 2nd in the league in offense. So, is Jay a little pissed? Hell, I would be. Yeah, that's life...but it's still a hell of a punch in the gut...to a kid who was just starting to hit his stride.

Will Jay pull through...yeah...but I'm sure he'd like to have some sort of a security blanket. Mickey-D could meet with Bates...tell him that he wants him to learn his offense and that he will be able to contribute to it. Then let him know that in 2009...he will be calling the shots...and if Bates picks things up quickly and they are on the same page etc...then Bates will have the oppurtunity to start calling the plays again...perhaps in 2010.

That's the route I would take. Why? Because Mickey-D needs to coach the entire team...not just the Offense...and as the coach...he needs to show enough leadership...that he can coach Bates up and groom him to be a headcoach too. I think this approach would go along way to building team chemistry. Just my thinking!

Who cares no player is bigger than the team. See the great ones play through changes and adversity, see Elway and the coaching changes with his favorite coaching leaving for a while as proof.

Its sad one people will cater to Cutler because he is the QB. If wants to go and be a bitch then he isn't worth wasting time on.

Malcontent
01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Who cares no player is bigger than the team. See the great ones play through changes and adversity, see Elway and the coaching changes with his favorite coaching leaving for a while as proof.

Its sad one people will cater to Cutler because he is the QB. If wants to go and be a b**** then he isn't worth wasting time on.

QFFT!!!!:thumbsup:

BroncoBuff
01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
"Keep Jeremy Bates or else Jay will pout."

???

ColoradoDarin
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
"Keep Jeremy Bates or else Jay will pout more than he normally does."

???

:)

Drek
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Its not about loyalty. Jay Cutler is an employee of the Broncos, owned by Pat Bowlen. Pat Bowlen has seen fit to hire Josh McDaniels to be Jay Cutler's boss.

Cutler's job is to do what his boss (Josh McDaniels) wants, end of story.

And McDaniels didn't "just get the world handed to him". He's earned it. I love how people act like he hasn't done **** but wanted Spagnuolo. I like Spags' resume but he's only been a coordinator for 2 years, McDaniels has been a coordinator for 3, and was calling the plays a year before that. His resume is more accomplished than anyone else we interviewed, just because he's 32 doesn't mean he isn't the single most deserving person for the job.

Easily the most stupid part of the entire half-witted article.

Josh McDaniels has been breaking down team talent for a good while now and despite nearly constant turnover in his four years as offensive play caller in NE he always made the most of it. I don't think he needs Jeremy Bates to tell him how to utilize our players.

And the last thing Cutler needs is an official team sponsored pal to "hang out" with. He's an employee of the Broncos, his private life is his own. If he can't show up amped to just be a highly talented QB in the NFL with a chance at being great then he doesn't have the mental make up to cut it in this league, coddling coaches or not.

Thankfully I think Cutler has more stones and gray matter than the people who write these articles attribute to him. He knows McDaniels has put together high powered offenses with a whole lot less talent than we've got right now and he damn sure doesn't need a binky in the form of a positional coach to make him feel secure. He wants to win and he'll do what it takes to do just that.

Lolad
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Think about it, Josh!

I would love to see it.. I'm a bronco fan for life but when you mess with something that isn't broken. Prepare for the blow back. Of course thats just me guessing it could go either way. We could all of a sudden be the #1 offense in the NFL. But how many of you really without the tainted orange shades believe thats going to happen?

Dedhed
01-16-2009, 06:07 PM
It's sad to watch OMers gobbling up media carrots like this.

Drek
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
It's sad to watch OMers gobbling up media carrots like this.

Its not even a "media" carrot. Its just bleacher report. Thats like saying the **** I squeeze from my ass is chocolate mouse simply because its brown.

fdf
01-16-2009, 07:03 PM
. . .He developed a series of plays that made the most of Jay Cutler's strengths, such as throwing out of the pocket. . . .

I know you meant something other than that. Bates almost certainly did not invent passing from the pocket.

Pseudofool
01-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Bates' talent is essentially redundant with McD as HC; Jay will be just fine, I'm sure.

Bronx33
01-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Cash your huge checks and learn what you have to jay it's business not a daycare.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
stopped reading there....if that is the case, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Jay.

I really wish people would stop writing this crap. How do they know if Jay may prefer McDaniels offense to Bates?

i agree. last season Bates and Mike copied the Pats offense that our new HC created and Jay did well. he will perform even better under the guidance of a HC who knows that offense inside and out, and will help to make him an even better pocket passer.
McDaniels could turn Jay into a pocket passer as good as Brady, but also incorporate his almost unrivaled ability to pass from outside the pocket and make Jay the best and most complete QB in the league.

Also, i am under the belief that Bowlen let Jay know beforehand that McDaniels was the guy, and Jay had to know losing Bates was a real possibility. I tend to think with Jay questioning the move to fire Mike, if he was against McDaniels there would be word of him questioning the hiring of our new HC.

Jay realizes he had a decent QB Coach who helped him become a pro bowler, but now he has a new one who has the knowledge, ability and proven track record of being able to possibly turn him into the best in the NFL.

Hamrob
01-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Its not about loyalty. Jay Cutler is an employee of the Broncos, owned by Pat Bowlen. Pat Bowlen has seen fit to hire Josh McDaniels to be Jay Cutler's boss.

Cutler's job is to do what his boss (Josh McDaniels) wants, end of story.

And McDaniels didn't "just get the world handed to him". He's earned it. I love how people act like he hasn't done **** but wanted Spagnuolo. I like Spags' resume but he's only been a coordinator for 2 years, McDaniels has been a coordinator for 3, and was calling the plays a year before that. His resume is more accomplished than anyone else we interviewed, just because he's 32 doesn't mean he isn't the single most deserving person for the job.

Easily the most stupid part of the entire half-witted article.

Josh McDaniels has been breaking down team talent for a good while now and despite nearly constant turnover in his four years as offensive play caller in NE he always made the most of it. I don't think he needs Jeremy Bates to tell him how to utilize our players.

And the last thing Cutler needs is an official team sponsored pal to "hang out" with. He's an employee of the Broncos, his private life is his own. If he can't show up amped to just be a highly talented QB in the NFL with a chance at being great then he doesn't have the mental make up to cut it in this league, coddling coaches or not.

Thankfully I think Cutler has more stones and gray matter than the people who write these articles attribute to him. He knows McDaniels has put together high powered offenses with a whole lot less talent than we've got right now and he damn sure doesn't need a binky in the form of a positional coach to make him feel secure. He wants to win and he'll do what it takes to do just that.

Look, I've been a Broncos fan since 1974...since before Bowlen came around. I'm a Broncos fan...I reserve the right to see whether he made a good decision or not in firing Shanahan and hiring this young punk.

Cutler has been a Bronco for 3yrs now...that's 3 more than Mickey-D. Yes, it's a business and in this business...your franchise qb has a say...a very big say. Get used to it!

Hamrob
01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Just one more question. How many of Bellicrack's other assistants have turned out? How about providing a short list to us all?

oubronco
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I was never sold on Bates
If Cutler has a problem with it, screw'em, he isn't bigger than the team

yea Ramsey can take em to the promised land :rofl:

oubronco
01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Look, I've been a Broncos fan since 1974...since before Bowlen came around. I'm a Broncos fan...I reserve the right to see whether he made a good decision or not in firing Shanahan and hiring this young punk.

Cutler has been a Bronco for 3yrs now...that's 3 more than Mickey-D. Yes, it's a business and in this business...your franchise qb has a say...a very big say. Get used to it!

yeah

TheDave
01-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Has anybody heard from cutler since Coach Frodo was signed?

Reason I'm asking is, maybe he's happy with the hire and is looking forward to working with him. Why is everyone assuming he is still pissed off?

strafen
01-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Good riddance. Bye-bye Bates!!! :welcome:

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Has anybody heard from cutler since Coach Frodo was signed?

Reason I'm asking is, maybe he's happy with the hire and is looking forward to working with him. Why is everyone assuming he is still pissed off?

They finally talked on the phone. There was an article about it. Said both sides were excited.

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 08:09 PM

No one person is above the team. And your player should not have a say period. Get over it.

Malcontent
01-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Why would you cal him a punk Bro? He probably knows more about football than you....awwww never mind.

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Think about it, Josh!

Is this crap for real?

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Why would you cal him a punk Bro? He probably knows more about football than you....awwww never mind.

Because he is a Shanafan. It sucks Shanny got fired but its time to move on.

Drek
01-16-2009, 08:16 PM

He's the equivalent of a trades employee in a construction business. McDaniels is the supervisor and Bowlen owns the company. Time put in doesn't mean a damn with trades employees, especially when it comes to their bosses. Jay doesn't rank until he does something that makes him irreplaceable.

lazarus4444
01-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I bolded everything I thought was interesting in this article.

Rep! This article sucks balls. Why was it even written? Horrible.

strafen
01-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Why would you cal him a punk Bro? He probably knows more about football than you....awwww never mind.Because he's a shanahan leg humper. He hasn't gotten over it yet!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Think about it, Josh!

If this is who Jay Cutler is, then he doesn't deserve to be our QB. He needs to be a professional. Period.

There is one thing right that is happening. The whole team is looking to Jay right now and watch what he is doing.

Me personally I think Jay needs to have a news conf. or outward sign to embrace the new head coach. I think Jay is on vacation. He needs toget his a$$ back here and start getting things in order.

Willynowei
01-16-2009, 10:07 PM
This is how an organization's structure goes.

1.) Owner
2.) Franchise Quarterback
3.) Everyone else

Cutler can say whatever the hell he wants. There is no such thing as a franchise quarterback that costs more than he's worth.

At this point i have no reason to side with MickyD. New England Coaches have been disasterous outside the organization, there is a list of failures all of whom were once highly thought of. Cutler, with all his problems as a quarterback has got a heck of a lot more of my confidence than a brand new coach who probably hasn't had the time to evaluate the team's film yet, but has a "vision" and a "plan".

Great, let me see some real results first.

Willynowei
01-16-2009, 10:14 PM
He's the equivalent of a trades employee in a construction business. McDaniels is the supervisor and Bowlen owns the company. Time put in doesn't mean a damn with trades employees, especially when it comes to their bosses. Jay doesn't rank until he does something that makes him irreplaceable.

That is a retarded comparison.

Jay Cutler is more like the superstar of a record label with bowlen being the owner and McDaniels the new producer.

Outside of a top 3 defense there is no better indication of a team's superbowl hopes than a franchise QB.

Simple cost of acquisition. Top notch coahes and GMs (which we don't even know if McDaniels is one) can be bought with cash. Can't work with my quarterback? **** you, get out of here, plenty of coaches who want the Denver Job. But if you trade Jay Cutler, what options do you have?

none, No one lets go of a top QB. It doesn't happen, and thats why it may take you many decades before you get another one. You think Greenbay took heat for getting rid of Favre? Getting rid of Jay no matter what the reason would be written down as the worst move in NFL history.

This thread by the way is rediculous, I critize Cutler as much as anyone on this board, but I'm not stupid enough to think that cutting or trading a Franchise quarterback is an option.

The owners out there who have traded top promising quarterbacks all regret it. Think Elway and the Eli Manning Fiasco that followed. Its the golden rule of the NFL, you don't trade a top quarterback. Everyone is expendable to keep that one guy.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2009, 10:16 PM
there wasn't this much bitching when Elway got Reeves canned. Jay being a franchise QB does have a little bit of say in the franchise around him.

i am thinking Jay's public questioning wasn't due to him not liking the change or being a crybaby. it was due to him worrying he was going to completely have to relearn a new system, or that a defensive coach would hamstring him and make him play a conservative style of game, and he would prefer his current coaches and scheme. but with McDaniels coming in he realizes it could be a really good thing and that is Bates does leave, he is left in BETTER hands.

TheDave
01-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Why are people assuming their are any problems... maybe we should hold off a little before we start imagining that these two are incompatible.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
That is a retarded comparison.

Jay Cutler is more like the superstar of a record label with bowlen being the owner and McDaniels the new producer.

Outside of a top 3 defense there is no better indication of a team's superbowl hopes than a franchise QB.

Simple cost of acquisition. Top notch coahes and GMs (which we don't even know if McDaniels is one) can be bought with cash. Can't work with my quarterback? **** you, get out of here, plenty of coaches who want the Denver Job. But if you trade Jay Cutler, what options do you have?

none, No one lets go of a top QB. It doesn't happen, and thats why it may take you many decades before you get another one. You think Greenbay took heat for getting rid of Favre? Getting rid of Jay no matter what the reason would be written down as the worst move in NFL history.

exactly, and to add onto that becoming the worst move in NFL History. it would surely end with Pat getting his ass kicked, and his wallet would get lighter very fast, because fans would begin to think of the franchise becoming like the garbage franchises of the NFL.

Willynowei
01-16-2009, 10:28 PM
No one person is above the team. And your player should not have a say period. Get over it.

Bull****. No one is above the team REALLY means that no one is above the one goal of the team - Winning.

Let me rephrase this.

No one is above winning.

What else matters in football? teamwork? Heart? Courage?

NO. Thats some commercialized highschool/Collegefootball locker room Fodder Bull****.

To run a succesful football team, you crawl, you kill to win.

Cutler = Franchise QB = Best chance for superbowl.

Let me rephrase that.

Cuter = Everything.

Its that simple. People emphasize teamwork because its condusive to success. But when your top player gives you the best chance to win, you better listen to what he has to say, you're trying to win afterall, not uphold some retarded "principle". There is no room for "principle" in the NFL.

I hate that phrase no one is above the team, anyone who can deliver a win IS THE TEAM. Thats reality - just like in business - its about Money, not the team, not the family, not the owner or the manager. IF you are a great owner you know that the top Salesman who brings you MONEY is a hell of a lot more important then the guy who manages him - whos EXPENDABLE.

MONEY
WINNING
SUCCESS

I don't see team up there.

Florida_Bronco
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Why are people assuming their are any problems... maybe we should hold off a little before we start imagining that these two are incompatible.

What fun would the Mane be without some drama? Accuracy and truth be damned!

rugbythug
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
cripple Fight!!!

jhat01
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Cutler=everything??? jeezus dude, I thought Bates carried his nutsack around for him. Cutler with Bates is a QB with tons of potential. He had a ton of yards this year, but he's a .500 QB who should not be in the pro bowl. He can stand to ratchet his ego down a bit until he's done something in this league. He's the franchise QB, but he ain't the franchise YET

~Crash~
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Jay needs to learn how to make better decisions. I would get rid of Bates just to prove a point that point would be I McDaniel’s run the team not jay

Wow Dan revees is posting on here now !!!!!!!!!!!!:P

~Crash~
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM
you are a bouch of sorry sacks of **** LOL

Willynowei
01-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Cutler=everything??? jeezus dude, I thought Bates carried his nutsack around for him. Cutler with Bates is a QB with tons of potential. He had a ton of yards this year, but he's a .500 QB who should not be in the pro bowl. He can stand to ratchet his ego down a bit until he's done something in this league. He's the franchise QB, but he ain't the franchise YET

Franchise QB's can't be replaced. Everyone else can, a top tackle, WR, coach or GM. Its not to say that you would fire everyone on your team if Cutler wanted that to happen, but your decision is based on making sure your team wins and if something aint broke - the continued development of your QB, don't break it.

As for the Bates issue, if Bates decides to leave, that is very different than Bowlen firing the guy and Cutler likely wouldn't have much gripe about. But firing Cutler's mentor on the team is a little like the Packers deciding that a 5th round pick is not worth Randy Moss no matter what Brett Favre says, except 10x worse.

~Crash~
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
If I think different I just don't get it right **** you pusses it's your way or the highway lol you guys are rich ...yep HOF type of players should be built not tore down well enough of me back to tearing down the best thing that hit Denver since Elway and TD kill that roach cutler you guys sound like sparky fans

NUB
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Franchise QB's can't be replaced. Everyone else can, a top tackle, WR, coach or GM. Its not to say that you would fire everyone on your team if Cutler wanted that to happen, but your decision is based on making sure your team wins and if something aint broke - the continued development of your QB, don't break it.

Exactly.

The Colts catered to Manning's whims and rightfully so. Look what it got them.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-16-2009, 10:44 PM
He had a ton of yards this year, but he's a .500 QB who should not be in the pro bowl.

Cutler was the third best QB in the AFC after Rivers and Manning this year. He is deserving of his Pro Bowl honor.

jhat01
01-16-2009, 10:47 PM

I can't disagree and say it was broke...However, Cutler is an erratic QB at this stage of his career with a hyper inflated ego to go with it. He could be a great QB, has has the tools...but to continue down the same path doesn't really excite me. He bitched and moaned about the staff before McD was named anyway. It's probably fine. I wouldn't expect him to turn more mopey than he already is. I don't know about you, but I can't stand to see our "franchise QB" mope around like ****ing Eeyore after every bad decision. I'm cool with the new direction, and won't be surprised to hear that he is too.

ColoradoDarin
01-16-2009, 10:52 PM
there wasn't this much b****ing when Elway got Reeves canned.

You aren't making this argument are you? By the time Reeves was fired, Elway had lead the Broncos to the playoffs several times, won an MVP, had The Drive, and single-handedly carried the team on his back to 3 Superbowls. All pretty much in spite of the "run, run, pass, punt until the 4th quarter and turn John loose Dan Reeves offense."

Let's compare that to what Jay Cutler has led this team to:
A sub .500 record.

I really want Cutler to do well, but he hasn't done squat, YET. I don't know about you, but I'm excited to see what the architect of the greatest offense in the history of the NFL can do on the Broncos sidelines.

jhat01
01-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Cutler was the third best QB in the AFC after Rivers and Manning this year. He is deserving of his Pro Bowl honor.

He's my QB too, and I'm happy for him. But if I'm being honest, I would have to put Pennington ahead of him this year...but not by much.

SouthStndJunkie
01-16-2009, 10:57 PM
there wasn't this much b****ing when Elway got Reeves canned. Jay being a franchise QB does have a little bit of say in the franchise around him.

You can rest assured that if there were the Internet and the Orange Mane at that time, there would have been copious amounts of b****ing and arguing over the matter.

baja
01-16-2009, 11:05 PM
You can rest assured that if there were the Internet and the Orange Mane at that time, there would have been copious amounts of b****ing and arguing over the matter.Hell there was last week

BroncoBuff
01-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Calling plays in an NFL game must be a rush of adrenaline. Once you experience it, I should think it'd be hard to do without.

SoCalBronco
01-16-2009, 11:44 PM

Except that the Broncos need Jay Cutler a hell of alot more than Jay Cutler needs the Broncos. I suspect there's about 25-27 teams that would immediately roll out the red carpet and a 20+m bonus for him. That's where he'd end up. Do you want to know where we'd end up? I don't want to think about it.

It is a legitimate issue to be concerned about. You can't just brush it off and pretend like alienating him isnt a big deal....its not like we would "move on and be fine"

We wouldn't be fine. We'd be the Rams.

~Crash~
01-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Except that the Broncos need Jay Cutler a hell of alot more than Jay Cutler needs the Broncos. I suspect there's about 25-27 teams that would immediately roll out the red carpet and a 20+m bonus for him. That's where he'd end up. Do you want to know where we'd end up? I don't want to think about it.

It is a legitimate issue to be concerned about. You can't just brush it off and pretend like alienating him isnt a big deal....its not like we would "move on and be fine"

try KC but not a bad try
:sunshine:

Drek
01-17-2009, 03:11 AM

Not if he were to throw a hissy fit to get out of Denver.

Then a lot of teams would label him an unproductive malcontent. Same thing happened to Jeff George.

And people draft good QBs every year. Two rookie QBs made it to the playoffs this year, one of them is still playing, so don't get so wrapped up in the "Jay Cutler is a once in a millennium, irreplaceable player" mindset. He's another guy until he proves otherwise, and he's a long way from doing that.

Jay Cutler is half way through a six year rookie contract. If we don't at least win a division and make the playoffs once in that three year span I really question if we should even make an offer to resign him.

Dedhed
01-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Me personally I think Jay needs to have a news conf. or outward sign to embrace the new head coach. I think Jay is on vacation. He needs toget his a$$ back here and start getting things in order.My god do people around here need to relax. This is nothing more than media melodrama and has nothing to do with reality. I thought the OM was better than this.

Play2win
01-17-2009, 03:49 AM
My god do people around here need to relax. This is nothing more than media melodrama and has nothing to do with reality. I thought the OM was better than this.

LOL Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

Can't. Stop. TEARING. I. AM. Laughing. So. Hard...

Whew... better start breathing before I pass out from sure laughter...

Good one, bro'... Hilarious!

Dedhed
01-17-2009, 03:59 AM
LOL Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

Can't. Stop. TEARING. I. AM. Laughing. So. Hard...

Whew... better start breathing before I pass out from sure laughter...

Good one, bro'... Hilarious!With the griping that goes on about the crap that ESPN doles out, I though the folks here could spot tabloid journalism when they saw it. Clearly i was mistaken.

Play2win
01-17-2009, 04:02 AM
With the griping that goes on about the crap that ESPN doles out, I though the folks here could spot tabloid journalism when they saw it. Clearly i was mistaken.

Sometimes it should be E!SPN bitching about the talking heads and experts on the MANE... Not the other way around... ;D

DB_champ24
01-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Not if he were to throw a hissy fit to get out of Denver.

Then a lot of teams would label him an unproductive malcontent. Same thing happened to Jeff George.

And people draft good QBs every year. Two rookie QBs made it to the playoffs this year, one of them is still playing, so don't get so wrapped up in the "Jay Cutler is a once in a millennium, irreplaceable player" mindset. He's another guy until he proves otherwise, and he's a long way from doing that.

Jay Cutler is half way through a six year rookie contract. If we don't at least win a division and make the playoffs once in that three year span I really question if we should even make an offer to resign him.

You guys who say these rookie QB's leading their teams in the Playoffs are unbelievable...Raven's have the best scoring D in the NFL with a solid run game. Falcons had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL with a solid D. Take the Ravens D away and they go under .500 and take the Falcons rushing game away and Matt Ryan isn't ROY and they don't make the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong those 2 QB's have bright futures. But I think a lot forget that it takes a whole team to be good and make the playoffs and no one does it by himself, NO ONE, NOT EVEN ELWAY. Cutler and the Broncos were 1 game away from making the playoffs with a 1 dimensional team and were 1 dimensional on offense.

How many QB's in the league do you think would lead their team to a .500 record on that Denver Broncos team last yr other than Cutler? Maybe Manning and Brady and that's it.

Broncojef
01-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I think everyone is forgetting Cutler has a stronger arm than Elway...he told us so. Geez people you can't dis information like that, we can live with a .500 team so long as his arm is strong.

Drek
01-17-2009, 07:14 AM
You guys who say these rookie QB's leading their teams in the Playoffs are unbelievable...Raven's have the best scoring D in the NFL with a solid run game. Falcons had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL with a solid D. Take the Ravens D away and they go under .500 and take the Falcons rushing game away and Matt Ryan isn't ROY and they don't make the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong those 2 QB's have bright futures. But I think a lot forget that it takes a whole team to be good and make the playoffs and no one does it by himself, NO ONE, NOT EVEN ELWAY. Cutler and the Broncos were 1 game away from making the playoffs with a 1 dimensional team and were 1 dimensional on offense.

How many QB's in the league do you think would lead their team to a .500 record on that Denver Broncos team last yr other than Cutler? Maybe Manning and Brady and that's it.

A big part of being a winning QB in the NFL is stepping up your play as the season progresses, especially in the final quarter of the year (last four games). Flacco and Ryan both did that, Cutler didn't. Their teams were in contention because of an elite D and a very good running game respectively, but what put them over the hump was their QBs stepping up in key games when the playoffs were within reach.

What did Cutler do? In September he tore it up, after that he was only a little above an 80 QB rating the rest of the year, and over the final four games he was upside down on TD:INT ratio.

Flacco put up Cutler's QB rating for the first quarter of the season in the 3rd quarter instead, icing a playoff birth. Matt Ryan came through big in the 3rd quarter of the season as well, posting a 109 QB rating.

I don't think either one is more talented than Jay Cutler, but they did their jobs a whole lot better than he did in '08. I'd take Cutler over any young QB in the league personally, but he hasn't earned the kind of weight so many on this forum attribute to him.

The Broncos are a strong organization because Pat Bowlen puts winning first. As long as he owns the team and he continues to do that players and coaches will come and go and the organization will remain strong. That includes Mike Shanahan, Jay Cutler, or Josh McDaniels. They're all cogs in a machine that Bowlen owns, nothing more. Until Cutler, or McDaniels for that matter, does something special to make them a less replaceable cog in the machine then their opinions only bare consideration as it pertains to doing their own job, nothing more.

Elway proved himself to be an extremely rare talent, so when he wasn't happy with the direction Reeves was taking the team ownership took notice. Shanahan had proven himself to be an extremely rare talent as a coach and so was allowed more and more organizational control, which he didn't really succeed at, forcing us to replace one big all-purpose part of the machine with smaller, newer parts, but he earned that level of control and gravitas. No one currently involved in the organization has.

HEAV
01-17-2009, 07:54 AM

Like the ole saying "Never let the inmates run the prison"

It's ok to hear request's or complaints. But demands and threats...please. Until Jay is paying the bills and not collecting one of those bills, he has little to demand.

Like I stated before, Jay resume doesn't give him anything to be Mr. Demands around Denver.

Until Jay wins a game with any meaning to it (playoff clinch and Playoff game) he should just do his job and shut his mouth.

If Josh is a young punk, then WTF is Jay?

McDaniels has just as many rings as Shanny.

Doesn't matter how low or short you have been a fan. It's common sense that a player (of Jay current standing) can't have much say in what goes on.

Some people act like Jay if in the standing of Elway, Kelly, Marino, Aikman, Montana.

Hamrob
01-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Like the ole saying "Never let the inmates run the prison"

It's ok to hear request's or complaints. But demands and threats...please. Until Jay is paying the bills and not collecting one of those bills, he has little to demand.

Like I stated before, Jay resume doesn't give him anything to be Mr. Demands around Denver.

Until Jay wins a game with any meaning to it (playoff clinch and Playoff game) he should just do his job and shut his mouth.

If Josh is a young punk, then WTF is Jay?

McDaniels has just as many rings as Shanny.

Doesn't matter how low or short you have been a fan. It's common sense that a player (of Jay current standing) can't have much say in what goes on.

Some people act like Jay if in the standing of Elway, Kelly, Marino, Aikman, Montana.Jay fills the stands. He gives the Broncos a legitimate franchise qb in which to build around. There are very few of those players in the NFL. It took Shanny 7-8 years to find one...but he did. Look, I respect your opinion, but I really don't think you are very good at understanding the situation.

If you believe that Pat Bowlen isn't concerned with where Jay's mindset is, your sorrily mistaken. That's why Bowlen said what he did about Jay. That's why (IMO) Mickey-D is going to keep Dennison and Turner. For the record, I think Jay will come around and he and Mcdaniels will click. The biggest reason is because Bowlen will demand it of Mcdaniels.

You see, Jay Cutler is the "Product" called the Denver Broncos. IN that arena, he very much is in the standing of Elway, Kelly, Marino, Aikman & Montana. This is a business...and a guy like Jay Cutler, not only gives you the best shot at winning...but he gives you the best shot at marketing and growing an organization.

Elway said goodbye to Dan Reaves and Cutler will make or break Mickey-D. That's just reality.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2009, 08:54 AM

As for the Bates issue, if Bates decides to leave, that is very different than Bowlen firing the guy and Cutler likely wouldn't have much gripe about. But firing Cutler's mentor on the team is a little like the Packers deciding that a 5th round pick is not worth Randy Moss no matter what Brett Favre says, except 10x worse.

oh, you mean like Cassell can't replace Brady, and Young can't replace Montana and Esiasan(sp?) can't replace Anderson, etc...

You mean like that?

yah, that's what I thought you meant.........Hilarious!

HEAV
01-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Jay fills the stands. He gives the Broncos a legitimate franchise qb in which to build around. There are very few of those players in the NFL. It took Shanny 7-8 years to find one...but he did. Look, I respect your opinion, but I really don't think you are very good at understanding the situation.

If you believe that Pat Bowlen isn't concerned with where Jay's mindset is, your sorrily mistaken. That's why Bowlen said what he did about Jay. That's why (IMO) Mickey-D is going to keep Dennison and Turner. For the record, I think Jay will come around and he and Mcdaniels will click. The biggest reason is because Bowlen will demand it of Mcdaniels.

You see, Jay Cutler is the "Product" called the Denver Broncos. IN that arena, he very much is in the standing of Elway, Kelly, Marino, Aikman & Montana. This is a business...and a guy like Jay Cutler, not only gives you the best shot at winning...but he gives you the best shot at marketing and growing an organization.

Elway said goodbye to Dan Reaves and Cutler will make or break Mickey-D. That's just reality.

Maybe in your reality. Let's not forget Elway had zero say in Dan Reeves selecting Tommy Maddox. Which was the downfall of Reeves power struggle.

Again Elway had won more games and meant more to Denver than Jay has at thsi current point.

Many young guns have come and faded in the NFL. Jay has potential and that's all we really know. Until he puts it all together and wins meaning full games in this league he is just another peice of the system.

And no, I'm not saying he isn't a potential star, I'm saying he's got lots to learn and prove before he can throw his weight around.

Jay's not a product, he's an ingredient, he's just part of the recipe.

The DENVER BRONCOS are the product.

Finally the best marketing tool is winning games.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Bull****. No one is above the team REALLY means that no one is above the one goal of the team - Winning.

Let me rephrase this.

No one is above winning.

What else matters in football? teamwork? Heart? Courage?

NO. Thats some commercialized highschool/Collegefootball locker room Fodder Bull****.

To run a succesful football team, you crawl, you kill to win.

Cutler = Franchise QB = Best chance for superbowl.

Let me rephrase that.

Cuter = Everything.

Its that simple. People emphasize teamwork because its condusive to success. But when your top player gives you the best chance to win, you better listen to what he has to say, you're trying to win afterall, not uphold some retarded "principle". There is no room for "principle" in the NFL.

I hate that phrase no one is above the team, anyone who can deliver a win IS THE TEAM. Thats reality - just like in business - its about Money, not the team, not the family, not the owner or the manager. IF you are a great owner you know that the top Salesman who brings you MONEY is a hell of a lot more important then the guy who manages him - whos EXPENDABLE.

MONEY
WINNING
SUCCESS

I don't see team up there.

willy, you need to go back to Tard school and gradumamate... your such a tool in a worthless toolbox... sad, really.

2KBack
01-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I know this will be an umpopular opinion, I've made peace with it. Calling Cutler a "Franchise QB" doesn't automatically make him one. I really think people are still just extremely excited over the potential of his physical skills. This is coupled with the fact that Denver hasn't had a lot of high draft pick/hyped QB's in it's recent history. The fact of the matter is, the jury is still out on this kid. He has had one full healthy year, and while solid, not a consistantly great year. The NFL history is littered with the bodies of potential "franschise" players that don't live up to their status.

It's completely foolish to build a team (or make the team a focus of) one player. No one player on a team should take precedence over the rest of the players. Not to mention no player that is worth such blind devotion by his fans should even make said fans choose between their own seflish wants and the good of the franchise.

WolfpackGuy
01-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Cutler is not the problem.
If people can't see the defense was THE problem which dragged the team down the last two years, then they need to take a trip to Lenscrafters.

2KBack
01-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Cutler is not the problem.
If people can't see the defense was THE problem which dragged the team down the last two years, then they need to take a trip to Lenscrafters.

that's not the discussion. It's whether or not Cutler is going to bitch because Bowlen took his blankee.

Which is still speculation right now

snowspot66
01-17-2009, 10:36 AM
oh, you mean like Cassell can't replace Brady, and Young can't replace Montana and Esiasan(sp?) can't replace Anderson, etc...

You mean like that?
yah, that's what I thought you meant.........Hilarious!

Three instances. Is that all you have? There have been a lot more franchise QB's than just three.

DarkHorse30
01-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Will Jay pull through...yeah...but I'm sure he'd like to have some sort of a security blanket. Mickey-D could meet with Bates...tell him that he wants him to learn his offense and that he will be able to contribute to it.

Are you kidding? Jay needs a security blanket? He'd probably smak you around for suggesting it.

Jay needs to learn from a coach who knows what he is doing; and Bates may have not been it. The playcalling was better than last year, but compared to Heimerdinger (witness the Titans collapse against Baltimore) anybody looks better than they may actually be. Given the Patriots success, you have to give McDaniels more credit than Bates because Bates is untested. He hasn't taught his quarterback how to check down at all, he always relies on Jay's arm to get him out of every trouble, and our redzone scoring was horrible.

Hiring McDaniels and then telling him that he has to negotiate his offense with Shanahan's supposed heir apparent because Jay might get his feelings hurt is laughable. Cut Bates(!), and let McDaniels earn his Denver rep, just like Shanahan did when he was named HC.

DB_champ24
01-17-2009, 03:59 PM
A big part of being a winning QB in the NFL is stepping up your play as the season progresses, especially in the final quarter of the year (last four games). Flacco and Ryan both did that, Cutler didn't. Their teams were in contention because of an elite D and a very good running game respectively, but what put them over the hump was their QBs stepping up in key games when the playoffs were within reach.

What did Cutler do? In September he tore it up, after that he was only a little above an 80 QB rating the rest of the year, and over the final four games he was upside down on TD:INT ratio.

Flacco put up Cutler's QB rating for the first quarter of the season in the 3rd quarter instead, icing a playoff birth. Matt Ryan came through big in the 3rd quarter of the season as well, posting a 109 QB rating.

I don't think either one is more talented than Jay Cutler, but they did their jobs a whole lot better than he did in '08. I'd take Cutler over any young QB in the league personally, but he hasn't earned the kind of weight so many on this forum attribute to him.

Actually Matt Ryan played some of his worst football all yr during the end of the season. For the last 4 games: 62 for 101 815 yards and most importantly he only threw only 3 TD's and threw 5 picks. All of this with one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL? That's not very good AT ALL.

Then there's Flacco who gets the pleasure to just hand the ball of most of the regardless if they're gaining yards or not because their Defense will stop you or even score points on you. Flacco threw 1 TD during the last 4 games and they didn't win becuase of him. Almost any starting QB in the NFL could have done the job he did this year.

I really disagree with you saying that these players put them over the hump because IMO that's really wrong... It was Micheal Turner and the Offensive lines run blocking for the Falcons and Baltimore's D for Baltimore that has put them over the hump and allowed these teams to make the playoffs.