PDA

View Full Version : Your first Broncos game?

Taco John
01-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I was going through my closet last night and I ran into some old photos, and found a set that included my first Broncos game. It was 1995 - a Broncos vs. Seahawks game in Seattle. It was so awesome because back then, there were just as many Broncos fans in the Kingdome as there were Seahawks fans. The key play that game that I remember the most - was when the Seahawks had Elway to a sure sack, but he ducked, stood back up, and threw a touchdown strike to Shannon Sharpe. That was such a wild play live because it looked like Elway had surely been sacked there. It was like the guy just passed through him! I'm still dissapointed that the Seahawks are no longer in our division. This trip had become a yearly tradition for me and my wife. We haven't missed a Broncos/Seahawks game since then in Seattle - only now they're very rare.

My first Broncos game in Denver was definitely special. My dad bought us tickets to see the Broncos host the Jaguars in the Old Mile High Stadium. We weren't in the South Stands, but we were in the South end of the stadium. The game was great, but the special parts were that Terrell Davis had broken 1k in that game (it was mid-to-late October), the fastest a Bronco has ever gotten to 1k in yardage... And even more special, I got to see Elam kick that amazing 62 yard record kick. That was especially wild because of the crowd - the whole stadium was upset that the Broncos weren't going to air it out and go for a last second touchdown strike before the half ended. People started to get up and head for the bathrooms - suddenly the PA announcer booms "this is to break the NFL record - a 62 yard attempt." Suddenly, everybody stops. The entire stadium falls silent - you could hear a pin drop. Watching that kick sail THAT far live and in person was so incredible. And when that ball sailed through the uprights with at least 10 more yards to spare, the entire stadium went into nirvana. I still get electricity up my spine just thinking about it.

Anybody else remember their first Broncos experiences? What happened on the field that you'll never forget? Those two moments will be imprinted on my memory forever, like they just happened yesterday. :)

oubronco
01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
my first game in Denver was at old Mile High the crowd was so rowdy and loud the whole stadium shook and the field was blurry it was fuggin awsome even though they lost to KC

55CrushEm
01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
My first Broncos game was this past season.....at New England....October 20, 2008.

It sucked....one of our worst performances of the year. But Beantown and I stayed until the end.....

I was so pumped before the game.....and so deflated as each minute of the game wore on....

Man-Goblin
01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
My dad brought me to the Pats-Broncos playoff game in '86. I don't remember much about the game, but I know we sat on the lower level in the west stands. Man, I loved that place.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Hmmm, my first one was in the 92 season in Mile High. Broncos/Chargers. Probably most famous for that diving catch Shannon Sharpe made in the corner of the south endzone. Remember that? Also, a tight end named Rod Bernstine ran through our D so effectively, we decided to sign him the next season.

Pick Six
01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
My first Broncos game ever was a Chiefs game in Arrowhead. I believe it was 1992 or 1993. I actually had pretty good seats, as my dad was able to snag them through business connections. I remember being so close that I thought the players could hear me. We kicked off to start the game and I yelled "FUMBLE!" at the Chiefs. They actually fumbled the kickoff (just as I called it)... ;D Some drunk Chiefs fan wanted to fight me for wearing an Elway jersey. His wife calmed him down, but it was funny that I was able to get somebody riled up like that...:rofl:

frerottenextelway
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Not that long ago for me, it was Plummer's first game and we played @ Cinci. It was the typical game for years to come, Plummer stunk up the field but we won. Ian Gold had a sweet TD.

Best game I've been to was @ Buffalo last year with Elam's fireman drill FG.

Worst game was our season opener @ Miami in 2005 when we embarrassed ourselves before going on like a 12 game win streak.

dbfan4life
01-16-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't remember the year but it was at the old mile high vs. Seahawks. I got to watch my first NBA gae that weekend, too. Spurs vs. Nuggets back when the Nuggets stunk big time. They won the game though as did the Broncos. Most memorable game would have to be playoff game against the Pats. Still undefeated in games I attend!

missingnumber7
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Mine was a preseason game vs the 49ers I sat in the eye of the bronco in new mile high. It was a yawner but still my first game.

Broncomutt
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Monday November 20th, 1989

Monday Night Football in RFK!! Man that stadium could be crazy. It was fun even if you weren't a Redskin fan.

Paid $150, which was an arm & and a leg to me back then....and Elway got stomach flu or something and was a scratch. Pissed!

It was all good though, we won 14-10 with Kubiak under center.:sunshine:

After the game me and my friend hung out by the team bus. I got to shake Elway's hand and some rookie named Atwater talked to us for about 30 minutes in the drizzling rain before hopping on the bus with the others.

Gotta say it was a good day.....

tsiguy96
01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
this year against jax. sucked.

Alkazar
01-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Hmm, first actual game was in 1978 or so, The Broncos were playing the Houston Oilers, I was in Junior Acheivement in high school and we were parking cars at old Mile High, after we finished parking everyone, we got to sneak in and watch the game, Broncos lost. First game I attended as a paying customer? My older brother and I went to a scab game against the Raiders in '86 or '87 (can't remember which was the player's strike year). The most memorable play though was a cheap shot by the Faiders, our best WR, Steve Watson, went deep and Elway threw to him, one of the defenders made a legal hit and stood him up but then a second came in and speared him from behind and cracked 13 of his ribs, all right in front of a ref and no flag......hated the Faid ever since. .

theedge111
01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
My first game was 2002 in Seattle, Broncos killed the Hawks 31-9, the entire Broncos side of the stadium were Broncos fans so it was like a home game, we even had the in-com-plet chant going.

My buddy and I drove down from Edmonton, AB Canada to the game, it was so cool that we decided to drive off to Denver for the Colts game (sunday nighter in the snow) the following week. We lost that game in OT, but it was still an incredible experience! We drove close to 4500 miles round trip and made some friends for life in Denver!!

I've been to one home and one away game every year since!

B-Love
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
1980 Preseason at the Meadowlands against the New York Giants. Craig Morton was hated in New York, cause in his last year there in 1976, he gave the crowd the finger a few times.

So whenever his name was read stated over the PA, there were loud boos.

We lost 9-6; typical Red Miller Dogmeat Offense game. Norris Weese threw our only TD to Emery Moorehead, who later became the starting TE for the 85 Bears. Jim Turner lissed the extra point and sealed his fate as Red Miller cut him in favor of Fred Steinfort.

bronco militia
01-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Hmm, first actual game was in 1978 or so, The Broncos were playing the Houston Oilers, I was in Junior Acheivement in high school and we were parking cars at old Mile High, after we finished parking everyone, we got to sneak in and watch the game, Broncos lost. First game I attended as a paying customer? My older brother and I went to a scab game against the Raiders in '86 or '87 (can't remember which was the player's strike year). The most memorable play though was a cheap shot by the Faiders, our best WR (his first name is Steve but for the life of me I can't remember his last name right now) went deep and Elway threw to him, one of the defenders made a legal hit and stood him up but then a second came in and speared him from behind and cracked 13 of his ribs, all right in front of a ref and no flag......hated the Faid ever since.

that was Steve Watson....

B-Love
01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Hmm, first actual game was in 1978 or so, The Broncos were playing the Houston Oilers, I was in Junior Acheivement in high school and we were parking cars at old Mile High, after we finished parking everyone, we got to sneak in and watch the game, Broncos lost. First game I attended as a paying customer? My older brother and I went to a scab game against the Raiders in '86 or '87 (can't remember which was the player's strike year). The most memorable play though was a cheap shot by the Faiders, our best WR (his first name is Steve but for the life of me I can't remember his last name right now) went deep and Elway threw to him, one of the defenders made a legal hit and stood him up but then a second came in and speared him from behind and cracked 13 of his ribs, all right in front of a ref and no flag......hated the Faid ever since.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you re-jog some memories.

We lost to the Oilers only once at home, back then, and it was in 1980. Earl Campbell steamrolled Steve Foley in that game.

Elway didn't play in the scab game in '87. A diude named Ken Karcher threw to Steve Watson, who busted 6 ribs, and essentially finished his career. Typical of Watson, he caught the ball as we rolled to victory in the "Joe Dudek Bowl".

HEAV
01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
First game ever
October 22, 2000 @ Cincinnati

Corey Dillion game... at the time... single game rushing record.

First game at Denver
October 13, 2002 @ Denver... Olindo Mare kicks a 50+ with seconds left.

B-Love
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
First game ever

First game at Denver

Heav, great avatar. That is the uniform that made me mad for the Broncos back in the day.

Few of the people here ever saw the darker Red-Orange jersies with the darker royal blue helmet combo we wore only until the end of the 1977 season. But that uni combo ruled the planet!! I have that poster and it so damn cool.

Instead, most people here only remember the shimy shiny orange that Elway wore with the Sky Blue colored helmet. That helmet was gay and sucked.

Bring back the Dark Royal Blue helmet!!

ludo21
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Broncos v. Chiefs in 2005, what a game. We forced a fumble at the goal line, and then went on to score a td that drive. Went into OT and because we won on the first drive I didnt miss my flight!! ;D

BigPlayShay
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Honestly, I don't remember my first Broncos game. I am lucky enough that both sides of my family have had tickets since the 60's. I started attending games when I was around 10, so I have been going to games since 1987. I loved sitting in the South Stands with my Grandpa. We knew everyone around us, it was truly like a Bronco family. I have attended every game from the 1999 season to present.

Good memories:
89 AFC Championship crushing the Browns
Elway vs Montana 1994 MNF game. A loss but an unreal game
1995 vs Chargers - first time I can recall the Broncos running the ball to close out the game. I think TD had 12 straight runs. I knew then that he was going to be the man
1997 Revenge playoff game against Jax, all the regular season games
1998 Elams 63 yarder, TD going over 2,000 against the seahawks, Elway going over 50,000, all the playoff games

Bad Memories
1987 Strike game against Raiders. Steve Watson was my favorite player and he got his ribs broken in that game.
1996 Jax playoff game
2005 AFC Championship
2006 vs San Fran
2008 vs Bills

Rock Chalk
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
My first Bronco game was actually before I was a Bronco fan. Denver was playing SF in Mile High, I think this was actually before John Elway too, I was really young. Denver lost the game (it was a night game, early 80s, possibly 79, some of you older farts might remember?) and my experience was merely that I ran up and down the stadium because it was fun.

I actually got lost and found my way back to the truck and hid in the bed of the truck until dad came out to the car freaking out cuz he didnt know where I was.

My first game as a Bronco fan was actually out in Jokeland. In fact, my next 5 games were in Oakland and in SF (1 there, the other four in Oakland).

Then I saw them twice in pre-season against Houston in Houston, once in the regular season against Houston, once in New Orleans, and twice this year in Denver.

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 11:02 AM
October 22, 1973...and I was 14. in what will always be known as "Orange Monday", Denver's first Monday Night Football game ever...against the hated and despised Raiders. It ended in a 23-23 tie. Mile High only seated 50,000 but the place was so loud it was literally impossible to hear yourself screaming. The stands shook so violently it seemed like they'd collapse at any moment. It was the Raiders hey-day...Stabler & Co...but even though it was a tie it felt like a win because we came from behind late.

I believe tickets were priced at $4.40, $5.50, $6.60, $7.70 and $8.80...something like that anyway. My dad and I had 40 yard line seats about 30 rows up from the field...perfect. Nobody'd ever heard of steroids and waiting impatiently for the Denver Post every night around 5:30...I don't recall ever reading anything but good stuff about the team even when they were losing.

The good old days really were...

mwill07
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
The drive II - playoff game vs Houston. Elway driving the length of the field, with some key scrambles, and hitting Vance Johnson on the sideline for a big game. I remember we were in the front row of the upper deck, so the view was amazing. I never thought crowds could be that loud...I still get an adrenaline rush thinking about it.

Stormontheplains
01-16-2009, 11:21 AM
My first game was Sunday December 30th 1984. It was elways first playoff game. Tickets were steeler side 33 rows up on the 40 yard line. That loser Louie Lipps put them ahead on a long touchdown catch. What I remember the most were people booing elway for a horrible 4th quarter, and the fights that started by the south stands, and then up the hill to parking lot a steelers fan tapped on a trunk, this guy gets out of the car and 1 punch ko's him. One of the 5 best days of my life. Still have the ticket

Peoples Champ
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Old Mile High Stadium. Halloween against the Vikings. I remember a few fights after game. We lost. Booooo. I think it might have been October of 1999.

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 11:54 AM
1998 playoffs Miami @ Denver. The first loss I ever attended was this last preseason against the Packers.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
My first in Denver was with you buddy. :)

Chris
01-16-2009, 12:02 PM
1996 Pre-season game against San Fran at Mile High. I didn't get to see another game (I lived overseas) until 2005 in NYC against the Giants.

broncoblue
01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
1st game was 2004 v panthers (think it was 04)...what a week i had,family parties in craig col,visited my dads ashes on rabbit ears pass,then a tailgate to remember thanks to to meck ,meeting a few off here and a great game to boot.2nd game was in az...3rd game in two years hopefully if this credit crunch eases.

Taco John
01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
My first in Denver was with you buddy. :)

That was a great time up until about, oh, the first quarter. ROFL!

BroncosCanada
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
My first game was 2002 in Seattle, Broncos killed the Hawks 31-9, the entire Broncos side of the stadium were Broncos fans so it was like a home game, we even had the in-com-plet chant going.

My buddy and I drove down from Edmonton, AB Canada to the game, it was so cool that we decided to drive off to Denver for the Colts game (sunday nighter in the snow) the following week. We lost that game in OT, but it was still an incredible experience! We drove close to 4500 miles round trip and made some friends for life in Denver!!

I've been to one home and one away game every year since!

I am that Buddy! My first game was the one in Minny back in the 90's when McCaffrey caught Elway's double tipped pass in the endzone to win. I was really foggy from too much beer, but that play will always be crystal clear. It was awesome to stand and cheer with the rest of that endzone crowd in shock.

That game was complete with me trying to be a hero throwing a fully loaded (and wrapped) hot dog to a friend a couple rows in front to disastrous results, but that's another story...

Cheers.

gunns
01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
First Broncos game and the reason I'm a Broncos fan in 1970 a preseason Broncos game against the Boston Patriots in SLC. The highlight was Floyd Little.

First game at MileHigh, October 1995 against the Raiders, 27-0. Anthony Miller was on fire that night, Jason Elam was Mr. Reliable, and Elway ran for about as many yards as TD.

Best Broncos game attended, SBXXXII and we all knw those highlights, but I particularly enjoyed mooning the GB fans that had given us so much **** throughout the game.

Stormontheplains
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
1998 playoffs Miami @ Denver. The first loss I ever attended was this last preseason against the Packers.

Funny enough Kaylore my 10 year old was concieved the night before that game, last time my wife went with me to a game, does that mean something????

I was sitting broncos side, 10 yard line 18 rows up, where were you?

HEAV
01-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Heav, great avatar. That is the uniform that made me mad for the Broncos back in the day.

Few of the people here ever saw the darker Red-Orange jersies with the darker royal blue helmet combo we wore only until the end of the 1977 season. But that uni combo ruled the planet!! I have that poster and it so damn cool.

Instead, most people here only remember the shimy shiny orange that Elway wore with the Sky Blue colored helmet. That helmet was gay and sucked.

Bring back the Dark Royal Blue helmet!!

I also would like to see the darker version of the colors back. I love the old logo, just the colors of the 80's where kinda fem. The helmet came of light on screen.

With the new era we are entering maybe we should try to get Bowlen to go retro and bring the old scheme with darker colors back!

Stuff will sell like crazy!

Killericon
01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
First and only one: 2005 in Oakland.

I was walking around the parking lot before the game, devoid of any Bronco gear, and some old dude next to a grill with a Stabler jersey looks at me and says "Broncos fan."

Scared the **** outta me.

Steve Prefontaine
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
1995 (I think). Denver was in Philly for a Sunday night game. It was at the Vet in December so it was cold as ****. I remember I thought my ass was going to freeze. I went down with my friend and his dad and somehow his dad got passes to go onto the field during warm ups. That field was so bad I’m shocked that it didn’t end MORE careers. It was like cement and there were gaps and uneven parts everywhere.

Anyway, the game started great. Elway threw like a 50 yard TD to Anthony Miller. Then Elway got knocked out and I believe it was Hugh Millen that finished the game. It was embarrassing. Millen had such a horrible arm and every single throw had this huge arc. The Broncos ended up getting smoked but it was still a good time.

Punisher
01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
quarterback club 96 Eagles vs Broncos

Pick Six
01-16-2009, 01:43 PM
First Broncos game and the reason I'm a Broncos fan in 1970 a preseason Broncos game against the Boston Patriots in SLC. The highlight was Floyd Little.

First game at MileHigh, October 1995 against the Raiders, 27-0. Anthony Miller was on fire that night, Jason Elam was Mr. Reliable, and Elway ran for about as many yards as TD.

Best Broncos game attended, SBXXXII and we all knw those highlights, but I particularly enjoyed mooning the GB fans that had given us so much **** throughout the game.

Woah! You da woman, Gunns...:thumbs:

Peoples Champ
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
One of my most memerable games was the first innagural game at Invesco. Ed Mcaffry broke his leg grosly.

And tragically it was Sept 10th, 2001. The next morning was 9/11. The sadest day of my life.

LittleFloyd
01-16-2009, 01:48 PM
My first Bronco game was at DU Stadium, yes DU had a football stadium, 1962. The KC Cheifs, moving from Dallas as the Texans, played their first regular season game. The Cheifs slaughtered the Broncos. Ugly Bronco loss but that was par for the course in those days. The reason for the game at DU was because the Denver Bears baseball team was playing at Bear Stadium (later to become Mile Hi Stadium after adding more seats).

Bob's your Information Minister
01-16-2009, 01:49 PM
2006 at Arrowhead.

We bludgeoned you to death with Larry Johnson and ended Jake Plummer's career.

It was a night to remember. About the only one worth remembering from the Herm era, too.

2KBack
01-16-2009, 01:51 PM

I was walking around the parking lot before the game, devoid of any Bronco gear, and some old dude next to a grill with a Stabler jersey looks at me and says "Broncos fan."

Ha! I went to that game. Me and some friends who were raider fans were tailgating and the guys next to us kept yelling and threatening every Denver fan they saw...

...so I kept my allegiances to myself

Killericon
01-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Ha! I went to that game. Me and some friends who were raider fans were tailgating and the guys next to us kept yelling and threatening every Denver fan they saw...

...so I kept my allegiances to myself

It was the weirdest thing. I didn't even say anything to him, and he was just sitting by himself. "Broncos fan."

Scary, scary ****.

2006 at Arrowhead.

It was a night to remember. About the only one worth remembering from the Herm era, too.

Jake Plummer was the one who ended his career, and absolutely noone else.

Peoples Champ
01-16-2009, 01:59 PM
2006 at Arrowhead.

It couldnt have been a better rushing day then Clinton Portis had on the Chiefs. I think there were records broken in this game, see boxscore

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=231207007

SleepingTiger
01-16-2009, 02:01 PM
My first and only game came in Carolina against the Panthers inaugural season at Clemson stadium (preseason game). Only real memory was only to see Elway play one half and being stuck in traffic for 2hrs. It didn't help that i was drinking like a fish either. I am sure my next Broncos game will be alot more memorable.

WolfpackGuy
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
2003 at the Ravens.
When Danny Kanell wasn't throwing it to the other team, he was overthrowing Lelie by 20 yards.
It was also John Mobley's last game.
Best memory of the game: Ravens fan in front of us passing out in his nachos.

SleepingTiger
01-16-2009, 02:05 PM

did you deny being a bronco fan? did you hear the rooster roost 3x times afterwards?

bombay
01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
My first Broncos game was the snow game against the Packers in, I think, 1983. Second was the snowball game against the Niners the following season (I think).

crawdad
01-16-2009, 02:14 PM
First game ever

First game at Denver

I was at that game as well. Corey Dillon walked all over Wally Peytons grave.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
'97 opening preseason game against Buffalo

Chiefs regular season opener that season was my first real game. It was a good season to finally get season tickets.

crawdad
01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I can't remember the first one or the date but the second was Nov 1, 1998 at Cincy. We won. I took my son, my GF got a picture taken with TD and her and a gal named Missy got down on the field after the game and got to see all of our players up close. My son got Neil Smith's and Maa Tanavasu's autograph when they were getting on the bus.

Chris
01-16-2009, 02:49 PM
My first Bronco game was at DU Stadium, yes DU had a football stadium, 1962. The KC Cheifs, moving from Dallas as the Texans, played their first regular season game. The Cheifs slaughtered the Broncos. Ugly Bronco loss but that was par for the course in those days. The reason for the game at DU was because the Denver Bears baseball team was playing at Bear Stadium (later to become Mile Hi Stadium after adding more seats).

May I ask how old you are Floyd?

HEAV
01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I was at that game as well. Corey Dillon walked all over Wally Peytons grave.

Not to mention the Broncos defense.... hell even Peter Warrick had a 100 yards rushing...ugh!~

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
In 1991, my father took my sister and I to the regular season finale in San Diego. Houston loss to the N.Y. Giants the previous day on a Saturday afternoon game. That loss gave Denver the opportunity to clinch the a first-round bye with a win. It was a hard fought game, but Denver pulled it out in the fourth quarter. Le-Lo Lang intercepted the ball on San Diego's final drive to seal it.

crawdad
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Not to mention the Broncos defense.... hell even Peter Warrick had a 100 yards rushing...ugh!~

It was a devastating and embarassing loss!

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-16-2009, 02:59 PM

What a story. That was the first year Denver wore their Tennessee orange and white uniforms!

I can't find any good photographs of DU's football stadium online. What was the seating capacity?

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
First game ever

First game at Denver

That Dillon game was rough but I remember Denver's offense had their way with the Bengals D that game. Griese had 365 yards passing and both McCaffrey and Smith had 100 yard receiving games.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
my first game was 1997 against the Chargers. John Elway was hurt the week before and only played the 1st quarter. we won with a score of like 23-13 or something like that.

i was 12 years old, in the upper deck and when that place shook, i was scared ****less until i got used to it, and knew the stadium wasn't going to come down.

broncosteven
01-16-2009, 03:12 PM
... I got to see Elam kick that amazing 62 yard record kick. That was especially wild because of the crowd - the whole stadium was upset that the Broncos weren't going to air it out and go for a last second touchdown strike before the half ended.

That was on my wifes Birthday, I have to remember that date, 10/25/98.

My Mom, Dad, Grandpa took me to the 1981 Bears vs Broncos at Soliders fields.

I thought for sure they were going to beat the lowly bears who were 4-10 or 6-8 or something awful.

Morton was harrassed and picked off all day. It was so cold they were pulling drunks out of the stands and taking them down in stretchers as they passed out.

I saw John everytime he came to Chicago except for 1983, no $.

My 1st trip at MH was in 1995 with my Brother vs the Cards. Great game, TD was well over 100 yards, Elway threw a bomb to Miller. They were 8-8 that year but you could tell they were starting the run.

Bronx33
01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't remember what year but i remember floyd little running his ass off.

DB Doom
01-16-2009, 03:42 PM
the 2000 playoff game in Baltimore..Gus Forgot and the rookie of the year getting shut down...Rod Smith and a sprained ankle...first and only till this point and it was an abysmal...have i mentioned i hate Baltimore?

NYBronc
01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
September 19, 1976 against the Jets and we blew them out. I think that was Namath's last year with them. Don't recall much about the game but I vividly remember everyone stomping their feet so it sounded like an earthquake sitting in the South Stands.

BroncoLifer
01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
My first game was the Raiders at Mile High in '85 (I think it was '85).

The Broncos won, but the best part is that was the game where Karl Mecklenburg absolutely destroyed Marcus Allen coming out of the backfield on the little swing pass - one of the all-time great hits in Bronco history & all the better coming against the NFL's dirtiest team.

Mecklenburg said he waited another 10 years for a hit that good but he never did get a better one.

SureShot
01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I was only 9 yeas old at the time, but I believe it was v. the Vikings in 1984. I do remember it was raining really hard but that was nothing compared to the thunder the old stadium made.

Do any of the old timers remember that game?

extralife
01-16-2009, 04:51 PM
My first game was a Broncos/Steelers playoff game in...I want to say '89? We won 24 to 23. I was just a kid sitting in the south stands with all the real fans. Good times.

lostknight
01-16-2009, 04:51 PM
The first game I ever watched was Elway's third superbowl try. We moved into town the day before the game. It was a interesting start to a love relationship with the Broncos.

The first game I was at (I kid you not) was the 1997 Jacksonville game.It was another crushing defeat. Least you think I am a bad luck charm and should be kept away from games, I also was at most of the Rockies run last year, the New England and AFC championship games a few years ago.

BroncoLifer
01-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I was only 9 yeas old at the time, but I believe it was v. the Vikings in 1984. I do remember it was raining really hard but that was nothing compared to the thunder the old stadium made.

Do any of the old timers remember that game?

Yeah, I do.

That would be the game Elway had 5 TD passes and somebody (can't remember who) dropped #6 on a wide-open pass down the middle of the field in the 4th Q.

SureShot
01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I do.

That would be the game Elway had 5 TD passes and somebody (can't remember who) dropped #6 on a wide-open pass down the middle of the field in the 4th Q.

I assume then it wasn't raining. I went to quite a few games that year but all I remember was the Vikings and the rain and of course a wildly shaking stadium.

BroncoLifer
01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I assume then it wasn't raining. I went to quite a few games that year but all I remember was the Vikings and the rain and of course a wildly shaking stadium.

I really don't remember if there was any rain or not, but the 5 TD game was definitely against the Vikings.

Los Broncos
01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
2 years vs Raiders in Denver, great time great people and we won.

HEAV
01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
That Dillon game was rough but I remember Denver's offense had their way with the Bengals D that game. Griese had 365 yards passing and both McCaffrey and Smith had 100 yard receiving games.

Much like the BRONCOS of the present..."last year" ... it didn't matter what the offense did, the defense was just that bad...

But Rod did have this sick TD catch in the corner endzone.

I'll remember this game, not just because was my first, or the Dillion record, but durning bring game warm-up I was yelling at Romo. Nothing bad I was saying" You F'n rock Romo and your the man" and he stared me down like I was the enemy!

I was like "damn dude I got a Greise jersey on and a BRONCOS hat!"

Scary dude.

KipCorrington25
01-16-2009, 06:33 PM
1976 Vs. the Jets. Lou Holtz was the Jets coach for that one year. We crushed them 43-0 or something... I was 6.

KipCorrington25
01-16-2009, 06:34 PM
September 19, 1976 against the Jets and we blew them out. I think that was Namath's last year with them. Don't recall much about the game but I vividly remember everyone stomping their feet so it sounded like an earthquake sitting in the South Stands.

Wow, my first game also, crazy. :thumbsup:

Taco John
01-16-2009, 09:22 PM
This is a fun thread. It's awesome to read about everybody's experiences. :)

Bronco Bob
01-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Some pre-season game against the Packers. I think in 1986. A friend's
wife got some tickets from where she worked and we all went up on
a chartered bus. Thought to myself, damn, the players look a lot younger
in person than they do on TV. Broncos destroyed the Packers in that game.
It's odd, I had been a fan of the Broncos since 1973, but that was the
first time I saw them play in person.

gunns
01-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I can't remember the first one or the date but the second was Nov 1, 1998 at Cincy. We won. I took my son, my GF got a picture taken with TD and her and a gal named Missy got down on the field after the game and got to see all of our players up close. My son got Neil Smith's and Maa Tanavasu's autograph when they were getting on the bus.

I remember this game because my daughter was delivering her first baby during it. We had it on and she was at the pushing stage. I was watching and cheering a good move down the field. Everyone in the room was watching and pretty soon we hear my daughter "hey I'm still here". The doctor got flustered and said what am I doing I don't even like football!

titan
01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I mentioned mine in the "family history" thread - here's more detail:

I was 7 years old. My Dad took my brother and me to a Thanksgiving Day game at Bears Stadium - Nov 28, 1963 Broncos vs Raiders. Kennedy was assassinated 6 days early; a guy at my Dad's office didn't want to go to the game so he gave him 3 50 yard line seats.

I don't remember too much of the game other than the Broncos lost, they were playing the Raiders, and the only good Bronco player to me was a running back named Billy Joe.

I have attended 250 or so home games since - and still have not had as good of seats as that day! Too bad I was only 7 and didn't appreciate the 50 yard line view.

NUB
01-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Invesco vs. the Dolphins a few years ago with Plummer at the helm; 50-yard line, front row seats. Have some incredible pictures of it. I remember Tatum Bell dropped a wide open pass in the endzone but we still came out like 17-14, I think. I was also at the Thanksgiving Cowboys vs. Denver game too, which was awesome.

jhat01
01-16-2009, 10:09 PM
My first game was in L.A. in 1985. I think it might have been the first game of the season that year. Broncos/Rams and I think we lost. Don't remember much about the game though, it's what happened right after that. I was about 9 or 10 at the time and I was standing in the bathroom waiting to take a piss along with my dad and uncle. While I was standing at trough thing, this big drunk dude beside me turned to talk to his buddy who was in line behind me and was pissing in my general directionYikes! My dad grabbed him by the hair and yanked him down to the ground and started beating the piss out of him literally! The guys buddy jumped in and so did my uncle....to make too long of a story a little shorter. Dad and uncle spent a few hours in the tank....

We all get together once a year to camp with our families, and that story is always the highlight of night around the campfire when the booze is flowing. It gets better every year.