PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Alridge in McDaniels Offense?

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Remember this dude?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Team/2008/alridge_mug_08.jpg

What kind of opportunity does the predicted McDaniels offense offer him? I'm thinking he's gotta be absolutely salivating over the opportunity to play in something that resembles a spread formation. Could he be our version of Sprouls? The stats on this kid in college were obscene. It will be interesting to see where he fits in the scheme of things this year...check it out:

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 185 lbs.
College: Houston
Born: in
Acquired: Rookie Free Agent, 2008
Pro Year: R
Year with Broncos: 1st
NFL Games Played/Started: 0/0
Postseason: 0/0

Anthony Alridge is a rookie running back from the University of Houston who joined the Broncos as a college free agent on April 28, 2008... Twice received second-team All-Conference USA honors (2006-07) at Houston and was a Doak Walker Award (nation’s best running back) semifinalist in 2007.... Finished his career at Houston ranked sixth in school history with 2,595 rushing yards on 363 carries for a 7.1-yard rushing average in 39 career games... Also caught 74 career passes for 997 yards (13.5 avg.) with nine touchdowns and returned 38 kickoffs for 846 yards (22.3 avg.)... Totaled the fourth-most career all-purpose yards (4,438) in Houston history, averaging a school-record 9.4 yards per play... Posted the second-highest single-season rushing total in Houston annals (1,597 yds., 6.2 avg., 14 TDs) along with 42 receptions (428 yds., 5 TDs) as a senior... Averaged 10.1 yards per rush (95-959) as a junior, leading the nation in that category and posting the highest single-season average (min. 75 att.) in the NCAA since 1945 (Army's Glenn Davis, 11.5 avg., 82-944)... Rated the 19th-best all-purpose running back in the nation by Rivals.com as a senior at Denton High School in Denton, Texas, where he was a third-team all-state choice and was named District 6-4A Offensive Player of the Year... Rushed for 1,626 yards (9.3 avg.) and scored 27 touchdowns as a senior at Denton... Majored in sociology at Houston... Anthony Alridge was born on Nov. 24, 1983, in Fort Worth, Texas.

Quickly: Placed on the reserve/injured list on 8/30 after injuring his left foot in the Broncos’ final preseason game at Ari (8/29).

MagicHef
01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 185 lbs.
College: Houston
Born: in
Acquired: Rookie Free Agent, 2008
Pro Year: R
Year with Broncos: 1st
NFL Games Played/Started: 0/0
Postseason: 0/0

Wait, what?

In all honesty, though, I'm pretty excited to see what he'll do.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Seeing what Kevin Faulk did, Alridge will bust off 3(total)K in this system.

Denver724
01-16-2009, 07:11 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The Broncos version of Kevin Faulk.

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 07:12 AM
I've yet to see if Aldridge can run tough or not. Faulk is a tough runner who is not afraid to smack a LB if he needs to. That is where his value lies, not in being a super-fast scatback. They may do some direct snap stuff to Aldridge, but seeing what the Pats offense looks like, his role may be limited unless Doogie McD scripts some plays specifically for him.

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I've yet to see if Aldridge can run tough or not. Faulk is a tough runner who is not afraid to smack a LB if he needs to. That is where his value lies, not in being a super-fast scatback. They may do some direct snap stuff to Aldridge, but seeing what the Pats offense looks like, his role may be limited unless Doogie McD scripts some plays specifically for him.
Sprouls value is not in smacking linebackers, neither would Alridge be used like that. But he can run and catch and he was super explosive in college. I hope he comes back with a few extra pounds of muscle for TC.

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Sprouls value is not in smacking linebackers, neither would Alridge be used like that. But he can run and catch and he was super explosive in college. I hope he comes back with a few extra pounds of muscle for TC.

How comparable is SD's offensive scheme to McD's? I don't know that Aldridge is anything more than camp fodder right now, but I see him as a Meggett or Milburn type back.

illbroncsfn
01-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Alridge has a great opportunity w/the Broncos- we'll see what happens in training camp...

lostknight
01-16-2009, 07:48 AM
In Shanny's system, I would have said the future is bright. In McDaniel's it's going to depend on how exacly he is used. If they follow the New England model, any RB who doesn't catch a lot of ball is going to be restricted to platoon status. My guess is that Hillis ends up seeing a lot more playing time, despite how electric Aldridge looked against a _third string_ defense last year in a preseason game.

Ray Finkle
01-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Alridge will go the way of Browner, Veal, Sykes, and every other fan boy player then never came close to the hype....

SoDak Bronco
01-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Sproles can break tackles, not really sure if this guy can or if he is just pure speed. He was exciting to watch in the pre-season I remember that.

Jens1893
01-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Alridge will go the way of Browner, Veal, Sykes, and every other fan boy player then never came close to the hype....

Watts

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Madise

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Is that what you said about WWIII?

Jens1893
01-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Madise

Wesley "Antonio Gates 2.0" Duke

tsiguy96
01-16-2009, 08:05 AM

aldridge has never had any hype fool. everyone is on the "wait and see" with him.

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Wesley "Antonio Gates 2.0" Duke

Todd 'Bell Biv' Devoe

socalorado
01-16-2009, 08:22 AM
McGriff "the crime dog"

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Chris 'Lightning' Cole

Jens1893
01-16-2009, 08:25 AM
McGriff "the crime dog"

Well, he was never really hyped ... everyone just kept wondering how he made the roster and survived the cuts year after year after year.

What´s the name of that one receiver who later ended up with the Cards? Something with K ...

2KBack
01-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Well, he was never really hyped ... everyone just kept wondering how he made the roster and survived the cuts year after year after year.

What´s the name of that one receiver who later ended up with the Cards? Something with K ...

Kasper, Kevin

barryr
01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
If nothing else, maybe Aldridge can bring something to the return game with his speed.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The Broncos version of Kevin Faulk.

I don't know...

I'd think they'd use Hillis in the Faulk role to take advantage of his hands.

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Muneer 'Gotta Have' Moore

2KBack
01-16-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know...

I'd think they'd use Hillis in the Faulk role to take advantage of his hands.

Alridge is a converted WR, the guy can catch. Granted Hillis is a hell of a receving threat, but Alridge could be used in a similar way.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Alridge is a converted WR, the guy can catch. Granted Hillis is a hell of a receving threat, but Alridge could be used in a similar way.

We'll see how it plays out. Alridge was definitely exciting enough in his pre-season speed clinic that he put on in a few games.

cabronco
01-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Sproles can break tackles, not really sure if this guy can or if he is just pure speed. He was exciting to watch in the pre-season I remember that.

He was fun to watch in the pre-season, brought alot of energy to the field and excitement. He would be a good compliment and change of pace runner to a down hill runner like Hillis or someone else.

Ray Finkle
01-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Is that what you said about WWIII?

Was WWIII included? I think he can be a starter but is not all world.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Was WWIII included? I think he can be a starter but is not all world.

Add in development when the game slows down, work on technique, and we can even be hopeful about a sprinkling of steroids thrown in, and he could definitely be all world.

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
The dude has something...you don't AVERAGE 10 ypc at any level in college, let alone Division I...unless you got some game. He caught passes and was a multi-dimensional threat. I just hope he get's a shot to shine again this time around in preseason so we get to see what he's got. I could see a player like him maybe getting 8 carries a game and a couple passes in this kind of offense...plus possibly the return game.

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Ande Ware is an example of a guy who put up video game-like numbers at Houston but flopped on the pro level.

Broncoman13
01-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Quick will have success. He is a great dude. I got to kick it with him a few times during camp. I was really bummed when he went down with the ankle or whatever it was. I thought at the time it was more of a Shanny hiding him on IR type move than actual injury. Still, if he comes back healthy he will make an immediate impact. His speed is on another level and it translates perfectly onto the field. Plus, he's just like Eddie Royal... an all around good dude that would much rather have team success than personal success.

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Ande Ware is an example of a guy who put up video game-like numbers at Houston but flopped on the pro level.
Anthony Ware was a quarterback in the run and shoot...means nothing.

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Quick will have success. He is a great dude. I got to kick it with him a few times during camp. I was really bummed when he went down with the ankle or whatever it was. I thought at the time it was more of a Shanny hiding him on IR type move than actual injury. Still, if he comes back healthy he will make an immediate impact. His speed is on another level and it translates perfectly onto the field. Plus, he's just like Eddie Royal... an all around good dude that would much rather have team success than personal success.
:yayaya:

Rock Chalk
01-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Alex, you going to camp this year again? We should ride together, its not far. Stop by, drop your car off and I'll drive us up there.

no-pseudo-fan
01-16-2009, 10:14 AM
What about David Klingler?

strafen
01-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Why don't we wait to see what we'd have by training camp and take it from there. Play what we have and not try to copy somebody else's system or success...

montrose
01-16-2009, 10:22 AM
I think Anthony has a chance to be very productive under Coach McDaniels. The Patriots generally employed a backfield by committee, which is what I expect to see with Hillis, Torain and Alridge.

no-pseudo-fan
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Alridge as a dump off WR out of the backfield? Killer!!!

You can scare the hell out of people, because with everything a team has to worry about with our offense(Marshall, Royal, Scheffler) having to dedicate a player to follow him will help those guys or leaving him free and watching him kill it.

kappys
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Darius "The Claw" Watts

Ray Finkle
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Anthony Ware was a quarterback in the run and shoot...means nothing.

you can not pick and choose examples. Ware was great in college and flopped in the pros. You can not use a variant of the same argument to justify your beliefs.

Alridge was good in college but that does not mean he will be in the pros. Small fast players are a dime a dozen. For every Sproles, there are ten similar style backs then never did squat but give fan boys hard ons playing against 3rd and 4th stringers in preseason.

Can Alridge be good? yes but don't get your hopes up....

kappys
01-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I suspect Chad "Goldenrod" Jackson won't be expected back.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
If nothing else, maybe Aldridge can bring something to the return game with his speed.

my thoughts exactly. as good as Royal was on return duties, i seriously doubt that our new HC is going to risk his new more talented version of Wes Welker in the return game.

2KBack
01-16-2009, 11:36 AM
my thoughts exactly. as good as Royal was on return duties, i seriously doubt that our new HC is going to risk his new more talented version of Wes Welker in the return game.

Exactly the attitude than keeps Denver's Special teams in the suck.

Wes Welker has been returning kicks his entire career.

Ray Finkle
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Exactly the attitude than keeps Denver's Special teams in the suck.

Wes Welker has been returning kicks his entire career.

Welker was the punt returner the last few years for the Pats....

2KBack
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Welker was the punt returner the last few years for the Pats....

exactly, and he does so, because he is the best at it. Even though he is a major part of the offense as well.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I am still shocked Aldridge went undrafted. He was an explosive playmaker at Houston. Fun to watch with Donnie Avery in Art Briles' offense there.

Broncoman13
01-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Alex, you going to camp this year again? We should ride together, its not far. Stop by, drop your car off and I'll drive us up there.

Can we play D&D too??

:welcome:

kidding aside, I hope that several of us can get together this year. Really looking forward to kicking it with Khan, Apa, Montrose, Champ, and hopefully SoCal. The more the merrier!