PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Ed Donatell leading candidate to coach DB's

montrose
01-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Source: Donatell on Broncos' radar
By The Denver Post

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is continuing to pursue coaches to join his staff.

On Thursday, Ed Donatell emerged as a leading candidate to coach the team's defensive backs, according to an NFL source. It is unclear if Donatell has had a formal interview with McDaniels and new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

It would be a return engagement for Donatell, who coached the Broncos' defensive backs from 1995-99. He also has twice been a defensive coordinator in the NFL, first for the Green Bay Packers from 2000-03, then for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06.

Most recently, he was the defensive coordinator at the University of Washington but was fired along with the rest of the staff after a winless season in 2008.

In an interesting twist, Donatell was succeeded as defensive coordinator in Green Bay by Bob Slowik, Mike Shana- han's final coordinator in Denver. Slowik and the rest of Shanahan's defensive staff were not retained by McDaniels.

Denver's defensive backs struggled in 2008, giving up an average of 279.4 passing yards per game and making only five interceptions while star cornerback Champ Bailey missed seven games with a groin injury. The team started six players at the safety positions.

If Donatell ends up joining McDaniels' staff, it will continue a trend of McDaniels hiring coaches with Ohio roots. New special-teams coach Mike Priefer is a native of Cleveland and spent two years on current Ohio State coach Jim Tressel's staff at Youngstown State. Donatell is a native of Stow, Ohio.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11465954

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Washington? Oh my god!!

barryr
01-16-2009, 05:38 AM
I'd welcome the move. He was around during the Super Bowl years.

Mediator12
01-16-2009, 05:42 AM
The Carousel widens. Donatell got fired from GB for the infamous GB/SEA 4th and 21 completion in the playoffs. That was the most Chicken**** thing Mike Sherman did in GB.

Donatell has had some nefarious coaching stints, but he is a solid DB's coach if they get him.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 05:52 AM
The Carousel widens. Donatell got fired from GB for the infamous GB/PHI 4th and 21 completion in the playoffs. That was the most Chicken**** thing Mike Sherman did in GB.

Donatell has had some nefarious coaching stints, but he is a solid DB's coach if they get him.

Fixed.

TonyR
01-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Fixed.

Yep, Freddie Mitchell made that catch for the Eagles.

atomicbloke
01-16-2009, 05:56 AM
The Carousel widens. Donatell got fired from GB for the infamous GB/PHI 4th and 26 completion in the playoffs. That was the most Chicken**** thing Mike Sherman did in GB.

Fixed further.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Yep, Freddie Mitchell made that catch for the Eagles.

"I'd like to thank my hands..."

(Yes, I know that came a year later)

Mediator12
01-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Sheesh, can you tell I did not check that one. I thought that was SEA but now I remember that it was the Freddie Mitchell Reception. Good lord I need coffee ;D

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Sheesh, can you tell I did not check that one. I thought that was SEA but now I remember that it was the Freddie Mitchell Reception. Good lord I need coffee ;D

Seattle was a week prior. Went to overtime, SEA won the coin toss and Hasslebeck said "We want the ball, WE'RE GONNA SCORE!"

...and then proceeded to throw a pick 6 to Al Harris, if I remember correctly.

Ray Finkle
01-16-2009, 06:10 AM
I like it....

backup qb
01-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Seattle was a week prior. Went to overtime, SEA won the coin toss and Hasslebeck said "We want the ball, WE'RE GONNA SCORE!"

I believe that is correct.

oubronco
01-16-2009, 06:18 AM

it would be nice to see Denvers DB's get some pick 6's

Mediator12
01-16-2009, 06:27 AM

Yeah, I got those mixed up. I was at the INDY/DEN playoff game waiting for kickoff when that went to overtime. They had that on the jumbotron as kickoff was delayed by about a half hour. Now, I know why I have that game blacked out of my MIND!

After that game, those playoffs are a blurr ;D

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Wait till this cat gets a gander at the crap we have at safety. It'll be enough for to make him call up Steve Atwater and ask if he's staying in shape.

HILife
01-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Yep, Freddie "I'd like to thank my hands for being so great" Mitchell made that catch for the Eagles.

Fixed

TonyR
01-16-2009, 06:34 AM

I don't know about you, Rev, but living in this area the thought of the Eagles going to the Super Bowl disgusts me. Call me a sadist but I get a lot more enjoyment watching the local sports fans suffer. They really have the chests puffed out right now around here and it would really make my weekend if the Cardinals could somehow pull off a shocker.

Mediator12
01-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Wait till this cat gets a gander at the crap we have at safety. It'll be enough for to make him call up Steve Atwater and ask if he's staying in shape.

There are a lot of solid FA safety's out there and this is a real nice draft for them as well.

I am still pissed at the one player I have really missed being productive in the draft is a safety named Josh Gattis from Wake. He is still on the street and I would love to pick him up. Drafted by JAX and played with CHI last year. Give him a future contract and bring him to spring practice. Can play either safety position and has solid hands.

Rock Chalk
01-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Seattle was a week prior. Went to overtime, SEA won the coin toss and Hasslebeck said "We want the ball, WE'RE GONNA WIN!"

Fixed, and most hilarious football moment ever.

lex
01-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Wow, this just goes to show how stubborn Shanahan was about Slowik. This guy was more qualified to be the DC than Slowik and is now willing to come in and be a DBs coach...so its not like he was unavailable...its just that Shanahan wasnt interested in someone better than Slowk.

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 07:58 AM
I hope this is true. Every team Donatell has coached has finished towards the top of the league in interceptions. He's like the anti-slowik and we need more turnovers.

2KBack
01-16-2009, 08:07 AM
all these rumored Defensive coaches do really highlight the kind of tunnel vision Shanahan had when it came to the defense. I have to admit I often bought the company line, but now that I see just how many better qualified coaches have been around the last few years it is very hard to defend the staff that was being used.

Ambiguous
01-16-2009, 08:08 AM

I'm pretty sure it was "score" but even if I'm wrong, you are still right about it being one of the most hilarious sports moments ever.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't know about you, Rev, but living in this area the thought of the Eagles going to the Super Bowl disgusts me. Call me a sadist but I get a lot more enjoyment watching the local sports fans suffer. They really have the chests puffed out right now around here and it would really make my weekend if the Cardinals could somehow pull off a shocker.

Actually, I'm in the same boat.

A lot of my really good friends are Eagles fans, but the fan base on a whole disgusts me in a way that rivals my distaste for Oakland fans.

AZ winning will mean a lot to me for a multitude of reasons though, but, yes, **** the Eagles and their dry-heaving QB.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 08:26 AM

I'm pretty confident he worded it score, but yeah, that was priceless. Especially since he's the one who lost the game for em!

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JzpowxGfVFE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JzpowxGfVFE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Man-Goblin
01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Actually, I'm in the same boat.

A lot of my really good friends are Eagles fans, but the fan base on a whole disgusts me in a way that rivals my distaste for Oakland fans.

AZ winning will mean a lot to me for a multitude of reasons though, but, yes, **** the Eagles and their dry-heaving QB.

I know I was quite pleased after the Panthers were beat down last week, especially with how my girlfriend and I were treated at the game a few weeks earlier.

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 08:35 AM

So you like to fix things and make them wrong, huh?

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
So you like to fix things and make them wrong, huh?

Dude, I even nailed that it was Al Harris.

ND Bronco Fan
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Anyone else getting impatient waiting for some coaching staff annoucements, I am tired of hearing so and so may be coming etc......

I got a good look at Eagles fans when I was in Denver a few years back with my brother who is an Eagles fan, it was TO's last game as an Eagle....anyways as you can see we live in North Dakota he is not as idiotic as some of the Eagles fans but I got a different perspective on some Bronco fans when we were at the game.......my brother came wearing his Eagles jersey, never stood up, never said anything to anyone yet low and behold some Bronco fan felt it necessary to get up in his face and try to start a fight........security did their job and removed the bronco fan as my brother stood there arms and his side and stared right at the guy who was trying to start something.

Point being, there are good and bad fans, per capita I think Eagles fans from the east coast are the biggest idiots of any fan base but dont lump them all in the same category......just cuz you see an Eagle fan at a game such as the one in Denver does not mean he is from Philly and inbred like the rest of them.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Anyone else getting impatient waiting for some coaching staff annoucements, I am tired of hearing so and so may be coming etc......

I got a good look at Eagles fans when I was in Denver a few years back with my brother who is an Eagles fan, it was TO's last game as an Eagle....anyways as you can see we live in North Dakota he is not as idiotic as some of the Eagles fans but I got a different perspective on some Bronco fans when we were at the game.......my brother came wearing his Eagles jersey, never stood up, never said anything to anyone yet low and behold some Bronco fan felt it necessary to get up in his face and try to start a fight........security did their job and removed the bronco fan as my brother stood there arms and his side and stared right at the guy who was trying to start something.

Point being, there are good and bad fans, per capita I think Eagles fans from the east coast are the biggest idiots of any fan base but dont lump them all in the same category......just cuz you see an Eagle fan at a game such as the one in Denver does not mean he is from Philly and inbred like the rest of them.

These are things I'm (and probably TonyR, too) well aware of. Like I said, my friends that are Eagles fans are all good guys, but there's very high ratio of jerk-offs. It's something about the city and surrounding suburbs... lots of dudes think they're thugs and that they're hard because they're from Philly.

My personal opinion is that Philly is a wanna-be New York city?

ND Bronco Fan
01-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Yup, gotcha........I agree most philly guys from the east coast are idiots, maybe I did not come across very clear......just wanted to point out dont judge a book by its cover. Something I learned as well.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Yup, gotcha........I agree most philly guys from the east coast are idiots, maybe I did not come across very clear......just wanted to point out dont judge a book by its cover. Something I learned as well.

I don't. But the stadium here isn't a place that I'd bring my daughter into the sea of jerk offs.

Steve Prefontaine
01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
These are things I'm (and probably TonyR, too) well aware of. Like I said, my friends that are Eagles fans are all good guys, but there's very high ratio of jerk-offs. It's something about the city and surrounding suburbs... lots of dudes think they're thugs and that they're hard because they're from Philly.

Philly fans are overboard passionate about sports. It's good and bad. During the super bowl run a few years back, it was one of the most exciting times in the city. Everyone was acting crazyÖdoing the Eagles and TO chants at the bars. But if you are living around Philly and arenít an Eagles fan, Iím sure it sucked.

Because of a few incidents over the years, the fans have gotten a really bad rep that is somewhat unwarranted. There are ugly fans everywhere. Passionate fans + alcohol = Bad situation for visiting team fans.

We went to the Broncos vs Bills game up in Buffalo a couple years back. We wore the fake mustaches in for Jake PlummerÖit was a blast. We even got on ESPN and Tirico was laughing at us. But the fans were total dicks. Everyone was trying to start fights. Some idiots were even throwing snowballs at a teenage girl behind us that was wearing Broncos gear. It probably didnít help that Denver was kicking the Buffalo all around the field.

So in my experience, Bills fans suck.

Then we went to Baltimore on NYE 2 years ago to watch the Bills (my friend is a huge Bills fan). Same thing as Buffalo. Fans were trying to start fights left and right.

So in my experience, Raven fans suck.

My personal opinion is that Philly is a wanna-be New York city?

Iím not sure exactly what you are trying to say there, but I think itís pretty off.

Inkana7
01-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Good. He's a quality choice. But what will Capers coach if he comes?

DeuceOfClub
01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Washington? Oh my god!!

Don't ask, Donatell.

montrose
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Good. He's a quality choice. But what will Capers coach if he comes?

He could coach LB's or be an Asst. HC to the Defense. There's a lot of titles he can have. While McDaniels said he was excited to effect both sides of the ball, hiring to ex-HCs in Nolan and Capers should solidify the structure on defense.

Rohirrim
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Slowik and the rest of Shanahan's defensive staff were not retained by McDaniels.
I just wanted to warm my hands on this statement from the article.

I think some people around here are about to find out that Bly is a pretty good CB.

theAPAOps5
01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Capers is interviewing for the DC job in Green Bay. We might not be getting him.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
it would be nice to see Denvers DB's get some pick 6's

**** i'll take a few more picks alone. a pick 6 is just gravy compared to what last season brought us.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Capers is interviewing for the DC job in Green Bay. We might not be getting him.

Now THAT is curious

Green Bay's defense propelled the team to 13-3 and the NFCCG just one year ago using Bates' style in the 4-3.

They underperformed this year but they had some seriously key injuries--namely Barnett going down early on.

To scrap a young and talented defense to shift to a 3-4... I'm just not sure the logic present in that decision.