PDA

View Full Version : Was Mike Nolan the right choice?

JCMElway
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Mike Nolan, yea or nay?

Poll to follow.

Dukes
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Do you honestly believe you can answer this question already?

Broncosfreak_56
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Waaaaay to early to tell.

Malcontent
01-15-2009, 08:24 PM
No need for poll for me...I say YES!

And the best part is I have no idea why I feel that way, but I do.

I think he's experienced, has skill at finding players that work in his defense, and he seems to not take any shiit off the players. Denver needs this at this point. I think he will be fine as long as Champ says so....Uugh.

JCMElway
01-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Waaaaay to early to tell.

It is to early to tell, but it's fun to see what your gut says now. We don't have to be right, we just need to speculate.

Natedogg
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I remember reading that Capers was going to be on staff. Has this changed?

JCMElway
01-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I remember reading that Capers was going to be on staff. Has this changed?

Dunno. Is there a link to that somewhere?

Archer81
01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Ask me after next years superbowl title run.

:Broncos:

Natedogg
01-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Ask me after next years superbowl title run.

:Broncos:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/15/broncos-to-keep-rb-coach-turner/

near the bottom.

Says he is likely to join "in the coming days."

As linebacker coach?

Sounds good to me.

BroncoMan4ever
01-15-2009, 08:42 PM
i will answer this question at the end of next season

spdirty
01-15-2009, 08:47 PM
The guy wont be worth a shlt unless he gets players. His record and body of work proves that. We dont get players in here expect us to be right back in the 30s in terms of ranking as well as giving up over 400 points next year. He gets players in here he will be fine.

cutthemdown
01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Only time will tell. I liked the Ray Rhodes hire but that didn't work out too well.

Nolan has a lot of experience so at this point seems like a good hire.

Natedogg
01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Only time will tell. I liked the Ray Rhodes hire but that didn't work out too well.

Nolan has a lot of experience so at this point seems like a good hire.

Point.

broncosteven
01-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Personally I wanted to see the Flex installed rather than 3-4.

Dedhed
01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Nolan is absolutely the right choice given what we know now. It's easy to say, "Way too early to tell", but we have to hire a coach now. We can't wait 2 years and see how things go before we hire a DC.

Nolan has a history of building solid defenses, and he also has HC experience that will provide a solid sounding board for McDaniels. Above all he's a guy that Josh can trust to take care of the defense while he deals with running the offense and dealing with the responsibilities of being a head coach.

I think Nolan is a great hire.

lex
01-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Personally I wanted to see the Flex installed rather than 3-4.

Only if our offensive linemen can also do that annoying stand up routine before every snap.

RADRHATR
01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes!! He drafted Patrick Willis, nuff said!!

Broncoman13
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Nolan is absolutely the right choice given what we know now. It's easy to say, "Way too early to tell", but we have to hire a coach now. We can't wait 2 years and see how things go before we hire a DC.

Nolan has a history of building solid defenses, and he also has HC experience that will provide a solid sounding board for McDaniels. Above all he's a guy that Josh can trust to take care of the defense while he deals with running the offense and dealing with the responsibilities of being a head coach.

I think Nolan is a great hire.

All good points. With Capers also coming in that will give McKid some great experience to draw on when times get a little shaky. I was really happy with the decision to go with Josh McDaniels, now even more so considering he's surrounding himself with a lot of experience. SMART MAN!

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-15-2009, 10:24 PM
What's the point of putting Rex Ryan on the poll when there was zero chance Denver was going to get him as a defensive coordinator?

Killericon
01-15-2009, 10:29 PM
**** yeah.

strafen
01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
It is what it is...

baja
01-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Hard to say but one disconcerting thing is Dan Revees went on and on about what a great coach Nolan is on Sirius Radio tonight.

24champ
01-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Nolan was my pick for DC...way before McDaniels came on board, by the way McDaniels was my #1 choice too. It's apparent Bowlen follows my advice. :D

Jens1893
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Was it the right choice? Ask me in 12 months.
Do I like the hire? Yes, I do.

Wes Mantooth
01-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Perfect Hire.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Depends on if you like McDaniels over Spagnuolo or Morris at HC. We couldn't get them and J-Mac. I personally like McDaniels's potential and the fact that we will hopefully handle personnel decisions similarly to how NE has done this decade. Nolan will work well with what we've got, and we will improve the talent on D over the next 2-3 years. But we won't know for certain if he was the right man or not until then.

dbfan4life
01-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I say yes. I liked the guy as HC of the 'Niners. I think he'll do good things here.

ZONA
01-16-2009, 01:08 AM
6) He may not have been the best for the job but probably better then what we had.

I think the reason for our lousy defense has been all the busts we've drafted on that side of the ball. Even most of our FA signings have not been that great on the defensive side.

Yes a good DC makes a huge difference but not as much as having good defensive players does. That has to be the first to change or we will see no difference really.

Pick Six
01-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Reports of a "read and react" defense from Nolan scares me. I guess it's good if we can get the players to tackle once in a while...

cmhargrove
01-16-2009, 07:38 AM
6) He may not have been the best for the job but probably better then what we had.

I think the reason for our lousy defense has been all the busts we've drafted on that side of the ball. Even most of our FA signings have not been that great on the defensive side.

Yes a good DC makes a huge difference but not as much as having good defensive players does. That has to be the first to change or we will see no difference really.

I agree. And, with the Broncos firmly behind the "fix the defense" attitude, he should be able to go after guys he wants in free agency and in the draft. In that way, I think we will get a pretty good read on him (and his defense) in the first season.

I like the hire, I like the caliber of guys coming into the organization right now. Hopefully McDaniels learned a lot from Belichek and will create the right attitude for success. I also love how the Patriots identified "football players" over "talented athletes." Hopefully Josh keeps this as a strong component of his Broncos.

colonelbeef
01-16-2009, 08:15 AM
I like the choice.

Rock Chalk
01-16-2009, 08:20 AM
All good points. With Capers also coming in that will give McKid some great experience to draw on when times get a little shaky. I was really happy with the decision to go with Josh McDaniels, now even more so considering he's surrounding himself with a lot of experience. SMART MAN!

Bwahahaha our coach has an official nickname already.

2KBack
01-16-2009, 09:16 AM
This hiring has grown on me, and i think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the difference this makes. Not only in changing the incredibly frustrating scheme we watched this past year, but in getting the right payers on the field. We weren't even allowed to see what kind of talent is on the team because the old staff refused to play young players. There are no more favorites anymore, the best players will see the field. no more taking potential players at positions of need and making them switch to fullback.

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes. Nolan's teams play hard for him and are physical. They buy into what he teaches and believe in what he does. He usually gets good players with leadership on his team and he has no tolerance for retards. In a few years we'll have a defense that is intelligent, tough and plays four quarters. We'll also get turnovers again. We'll play bump and challenge the receivers down the field. Are there better options? Maybe, but Nolan is a good coach and with some good personnel you'll see things turn around.

Drek
01-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Will he be a successful choice? Can't tell yet.

But he was a very good choice, and shows a lot about McDaniels when Nolan was his first decision as HC.

He knows both the 4-3 and 3-4 defensive fronts, he's gotten it done as a DC before, he's been very successful in bringing along talented LBs at every stop, and he knows good defensive staff to help fill out the roster. Can't really ask for much more.

Peoples Champ
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I am willing to try anything and everything new on Defense. It can only get better.

RMT
01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
where's the "it's too early to know" choice in your poll?

Punisher
01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Anybody but Slowik is the right Choice

Punisher
01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
This hiring has grown on me, and i think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the difference this makes. Not only in changing the incredibly frustrating scheme we watched this past year, but in getting the right payers on the field. We weren't even allowed to see what kind of talent is on the team because the old staff refused to play young players. There are no more favorites anymore, the best players will see the field. no more taking potential players at positions of need and making them switch to fullback.

:rofl:

azbroncfan
01-17-2009, 01:20 PM
It comes down to the talent and quality of players get him. No defensive coordinator will fare well with the current defensive roster. Talent makes great coaches.