PDA

View Full Version : Robertson at NT? (not a rumor thread)

DBroncos4life
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I guess I just want to know why everyone's reason's for why Dewayne Robertson can't play NT for us next year. He played 34 games there, had 119 tackles and 6.5 sacks there in the two season's the Jets moved to the 3-4. I'm sure the knee will be brought up and that he didn't like playing in the 3-4 will be brought up as well. From a stat point of veiw he played better at a NT in the 3-4 then he ever did as a DT in the 4-3. Stat wise he is right there with Jamal Williams and Casey Hampton two of the best NTs in the game. So lets here the reason's why we should look elsewhere for a NT.

Br0nc0Buster
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
His ass will be gone.
Too expensive

Smiling Assassin27
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
At 317, he's a bit small for NT. The premier NT's are upward of 335. Williams in SD is 348 on a light day. Ngata's 345 and Jenkins is 350. Hampton's 325 but he's the exception, I'd say.

Over 16 games, a 317 pound NT will be pounded into submission. Get some fatties in there.

gyldenlove
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Stats show nothing when it comes to DL play in the 3-4. The main problem with Robertson is that he doesn't command double teams, so one of the ILBs will be blocked by a guard on every play and that ruins the system. The reason Jamal Williams and Hampton and Wilfork are so good as NGs are that you need at least 2 offensive linemen to block them on every play and that creates room for the linebackers to make plays.

Robertson was never convincing as a NG and he hates playing there so the huge bonus he is due will be paid to a player who is unhappy and that is not good business.

Majik
01-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Is it FACT that we are switching to 3-4?
Im sure this has been answered so please dont kill me (there's been an abundance of new threads as of late, so it's a bit difficult to keep up) I'd just like to know.

DBroncos4life
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
At 317, he's a bit small for NT. The premier NT's are upward of 335. Williams in SD is 348 on a light day. Ngata's 345 and Jenkins is 350. Hampton's 325 but he's the exception, I'd say.

Over 16 games, a 317 pound NT will be pounded into submission. Get some fatties in there.

even though he played all 16 games in each of the two seasons he played at NY?

Archer81
01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Jets run defense was 24th in 2006 and 29th in 2007. Not Robertson's fault alone, but thats him in a 3-4.

:Broncos:

Majik
01-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Jets run defense was 24th in 2006 and 29th in 2007. Not Robertson's fault alone, but thats him in a 3-4.

hey that's an upgrade for us.

Archer81
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
hey that's an upgrade for us.

LOL. True.

Willynowei
01-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Too small. Its that simple. Its math. In football you could be stronger more athletic and a lot tougher than the man infront of you but down after down the fattie will wear you down. Every time he leans on you, its a 350+lb bench press. Everytime you try to shove him back its a squat of 500+lb, over and over for 4 seconds, followed by 4 seconds of sprinting (pursuit).

Over and over again, ur going to be gassed, infact most DTs that are underweight will get winded within a series. Just not a good idea.

BroncoMan4ever
01-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Im sure this has been answered so please dont kill me (there's been an abundance of new threads as of late, so it's a bit difficult to keep up) I'd just like to know.

it hasn't been decided completely, but with Nolan and Capers being 3-4 defensive coaches as well as McDaniels being used to the 3-4 in NE it seems more likely we will become a 3-4 defense.

although i have read that Nolan is a guy who won't stuff players into a certain scheme, but will mold his scheme to his players.

cutthemdown
01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Robertson a little small to play NT in a 3-4. One reason he wore down a bit in NY was because they had him doing that.

Rock Chalk
01-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Robertson also doesnt want to play NT. Next theory.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-15-2009, 08:27 PM
How about Robertson to DE in 3-4. This is sans a $10 mil roster.

UberBroncoMan
01-16-2009, 02:32 AM
I fully expect Robinson gone.

Traveler
01-16-2009, 03:32 AM
Don't forget his bone-on-bone knee problem.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 04:16 AM
He's too expensive for a mediocre nose in a 3-4. That being said, it appears he might also be too expensive for UT in a 4-3.

Ray Finkle
01-16-2009, 04:32 AM
How about Robertson to DE in 3-4. This is sans a $10 mil roster.

the roster bonus can be spread out over years....Thomas is more 3-4 DE then Robertson.

barryr
01-16-2009, 05:40 AM
As others have pointed out, he isn't big enough to play NT in a 3-4 and will cost a lot of money and may not be around even if using a 4-3. Broncos need DL that make plays. The last few years, the DL has been MIA way too often.

Beantown Bronco
01-16-2009, 06:32 AM
I fully expect Robinson gone.

Welcome to 8 years ago.

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Just be glad he's not named Ted Gregory.

cmhargrove
01-16-2009, 06:42 AM
1) He had a much easier job as a 4-3 DT and didn't do very well.
2) he's getting old.
3) his knees are run down.
4) He's too small.
5) He costs too much.
6) He came here to be a 4-3 DT and prolong his career.

His only hope is that we stick with the 4-3 and he reduces his contract. Otherwise he would fit in great with another team.

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 06:57 AM

No and Nolan has run a 4-3 when the personnel were more suited for it before. Nolan wants a 3-4 and will build toward that but he's also someone who works with what he has.

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Robertson at DE in a 3-4 might be a better fit since the DE in a 3-4 is a lot like a DT in a 4-3. Not to mention that a 3-4 DE typically costs less, so maybe we can get him to restructure to stay in Denver.

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Don't forget his bone-on-bone knee problem.

Hot bone on bone action!

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Hot bone on bone action!

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:AELTPf-k3RLwyM:http://www.plong.com/MusicCatalog/L/Layzie%2520Bone%2520%26%2520Bizzy%2520Bone%2520-%2520Bone%2520Brothers/Layzie%2520Bone%2520%26%2520Bizzy%2520Bone%2520-%2520Bone%2520Brothers.jpg

crowebomber
01-16-2009, 07:42 AM
it hasn't been decided completely, but with Nolan and Capers being 3-4 defensive coaches as well as McDaniels being used to the 3-4 in NE it seems more likely we will become a 3-4 defense.

although i have read that Nolan is a guy who won't stuff players into a certain scheme, but will mold his scheme to his players.

OK, I'm so sick of everyone saying that we're going to a 3-4 because they think it's the only scheme these coaches know how to coach. Trust me, Nolan and Capers know the 4-3 and can develop a 4-3 defense if that's what is going to work best for the team. Nolan has said that over his 22 years he has spent equal time coaching both schemes. These aren't your local highschool coaches we're talking about. You guys act like these coaches know less about defense than you.

Yes, recently Nolan and Capers have had 3-4 defenses but BOTH have experience with the 4-3 and have experience using hybrid looks in certain situations.

All this talk of blowing up the defense and starting from scratch because the new coordinator only knows how to do it one way is getting old. Nolan is going to put together the best defense possible this year and he better make a pretty great improvement over last year or Bowlen is not going to keep him around. This isn't a rebuilding year for the Broncos. Bowlen will not let that happen and it would be rediculous since we were one win away from the playoffs this last year.

When asked why he thought McDaniels was the right choice, Bowlen answered that we will see if he was right in a year. That's right, a year. So, when the owner expects an improvement the first year, I really don't think he has rebuilding plans on his mind.

2KBack
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
OK, I'm so sick of everyone saying that we're going to a 3-4 because they think it's the only scheme these coaches know how to coach. Trust me, Nolan and Capers know the 4-3 and can develop a 4-3 defense if that's what is going to work best for the team. Nolan has said that over his 22 years he has spent equal time coaching both schemes. These aren't your local highschool coaches we're talking about. You guys act like these coaches know less about defense than you.

Yes, recently Nolan and Capers have had 3-4 defenses but BOTH have experience with the 4-3 and have experience using hybrid looks in certain situations.

All this talk of blowing up the defense and starting from scratch because the new coordinator only knows how to do it one way is getting old. Nolan is going to put together the best defense possible this year and he better make a pretty great improvement over last year or Bowlen is not going to keep him around. This isn't a rebuilding year for the Broncos. Bowlen will not let that happen and it would be rediculous since we were one win away from the playoffs this last year.

When asked why he thought McDaniels was the right choice, Bowlen answered that we will see if he was right in a year. That's right, a year. So, when the owner expects an improvement the first year, I really don't think he has rebuilding plans on his mind.

You have to forgive us, Denver hasn't had the most flexible DC's in the last decade or so.

cutthemdown
01-16-2009, 09:18 AM
No and Nolan has run a 4-3 when the personnel were more suited for it before. Nolan wants a 3-4 and will build toward that but he's also someone who works with what he has.

My favorite defense is still the old school 2 big DT, 2 big DE, and then 3 fast linebackers running all over the place. Hard to build nowdays but still my favorite.

PRBronco
01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
My favorite defense is still the old school 2 big DT, 2 big DE, and then 3 fast linebackers running all over the place. Hard to build nowdays but still my favorite.

Mine too, I was soooooo stoked when we got Bates. I dunno wtf happened there.

TheDave
01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Robertson at DE in a 3-4 might be a better fit since the DE in a 3-4 is a lot like a DT in a 4-3. Not to mention that a 3-4 DE typically costs less, so maybe we can get him to restructure to stay in Denver.

I think the jets would of explorred this possibility before giving him away for nothing.

Judgeing by the way they got rid of him, he does not fit a 3-4 at all.

Beantown Bronco
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Mine too, I was soooooo stoked when we got Bates. I dunno wtf happened there.

Huh? Bates system doesn't seem particularly friendly to big DEs.

cutthemdown
01-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Just be glad he's not named Ted Gregory.

Nice guy, but couldn't play a lick.

Smiling Assassin27
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I think the jets would of explorred this possibility before giving him away for nothing.

Judgeing by the way they got rid of him, he does not fit a 3-4 at all.

Yup, you might be right. But considering that Mangenius failed there, I'd rather trust my own eyes and not the Jets' braintrust on this one.

PRBronco
01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Huh? Bates system doesn't seem particularly friendly to big DEs.

You are correct, I need to scan less and comprehend more before I quote someone :(

kappys
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM

I think a lot if it has to do with the fact that our front 7 is so bad that a new coach could insert virtually any system with only minimal losses. A trasnitition to 3-4 wouldn't be nearly as painful as it would be on a team with some good players up front that would then have to be let go.

cmhargrove
01-16-2009, 02:14 PM

I understand what you are trying to say, but it doesn't jive.

Fire a HOF coach.
Restructure your front office.
Install new offensive system and coaches.
Install new defensive system and coaches.
Install new special teams and coaches.

And, we have yet to see if any of those changes are dramatically different from last year which would mean a turnover of a lot of personnel.

What are we not rebuilding - the cheerleaders?

no-pseudo-fan
01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Hot bone on bone action!

Gross. Monkey-bumpers are much better.LOL

no-pseudo-fan
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I understand what you are trying to say, but it doesn't jive.

Fire a HOF coach.
Restructure your front office.
Install new offensive system and coaches.
Install new defensive system and coaches.
Install new special teams and coaches.

And, we have yet to see if any of those changes are dramatically different from last year which would mean a turnover of a lot of personnel.

What are we not rebuilding - the cheerleaders?

F that!!!! We need hotter Cheerleaders too. We need to do this thing right.

Br0nc0Buster
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM

I dont think anyone is saying the coaches only know how to do a 3-4 defense.
But McDaniels has experience in only a 3-4
Nolan got his reputation from using 3-4 defenses
Capers also was involved with an elite defense which was a 3-4
I think the odds favor us transitioning to a 3-4
Whether that takes one offseason, or one year, or more that is yet to be determined.

lostknight
01-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Bear in mind, my reason for wanting to see a hybrid 3-4/4-3 system is simply because it addresses one of the biggest weaknesses of the Broncos - ball control. Ball control is managed by running the ball. We have to improve most against the run and a 3-4 system is more efficient against the run then a 4-3. A 4-3 is nothing more then a 3-4 with a LB snuck up.

It's also important to note that both teams that depended first and foremost on the strength of their O & D lines - the Giants and the Titans are out of the playoffs. Strong Lines win seasons, strong skill players win playoffs.

Inkana7
01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Bear in mind, my reason for wanting to see a hybrid 3-4/4-3 system is simply because it addresses one of the biggest weaknesses of the Broncos - ball control. Ball control is managed by running the ball. We have to improve most against the run and a 3-4 system is more efficient against the run then a 4-3. A 4-3 is nothing more then a 3-4 with a LB snuck up.

It's also important to note that both teams that depended first and foremost on the strength of their O & D lines - the Giants and the Titans are out of the playoffs. Strong Lines win seasons, strong skill players win playoffs.

The Giants and Titans are out of the playoffs because they ran into better defenses.