PDA

View Full Version : Romanowski eager to meet with Broncos’ new coach

Broncosfreak_56
01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
DENVER (AP)—Bill Romanowski envisions a protein bar stocked with vitamins and supplements in the corner of the locker room, customized workouts to fit each player’s deficiencies and on-staff nutritionists waiting to be of service.

That’s what the former Pro Bowl linebacker would implement if he were in charge of a team’s health and well-being. And it’s one of the game plans he’s going to present when he gets the chance to meet with newly hired Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

Romanowski said he’s been contacted by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen to come in for a meet-and-greet early next week with the 32-year-old coach who replaced Mike Shanahan.

No position has been promised for Romanowski, no expectations given. It’s just a simple sit-down.

The team had no comment.

Just like in his playing days, Romanowski figures he has a lot to offer the Broncos.

“I’m going to profess my vision on how to better take care of the athletes,” Romanowski said Thursday in an interview from the Bay Area.

Romanowski wants to be a coach someday. He even tried to persuade Bowlen to let him interview for the head coaching job after Shanahan was fired, creating an elaborate 30-page PowerPoint presentation. But he’s never coached in the NFL and wasn’t considered.

If a coaching spot isn’t available on McDaniels’ staff, Romanowski wouldn’t mind being the Broncos’ “performance” coordinator, overlooking the team’s fitness and health. He’s currently the president and CEO of a nutrition company called Nutrition53.com.

“There’s another level on where to take a team when it comes to the way it trains,” said Romanowski, who suited up for San Francisco, Philadelphia, Denver and Oakland during a standout 16-year career in the NFL that was marked by a bad temper and his admitted use of THG, the designer steroid at the center of the BALCO scandal.

Romanowski said he would also hire a full-time nutritionist and bring in some of the world’s elite strength and conditioning coaches.

As for the protein bar, it would be like a mini Jamba Juice, complete with ingredients to boost strength, endurance and the immune system.

He would also design workouts tailored to an athlete’s specific needs. That way, an offensive lineman isn’t doing the same workout as, say, a defensive back.

“What they do on the football field is totally different. Their strength programs and speed programs will be very different,” Romanowski said. “Say you have eight defensive backs. They’re all going to be very similar in the way they’re trained, but one day a week may be very detailed to what each specific player’s needs are. Maybe one needs more leg strength? Maybe one needs more of a burst? Maybe one has trouble changing directions to his right? So you break it down that specifically.”

Given his close friendship with Bowlen, Romanowski’s preference is to land a role with the Broncos.

However, he’s hoping to break into the league with a team in some capacity, whether as a nutrition consultant or coach.

“I have a vision. To not give back is almost doing a disservice,” he said. “It’s almost like I feel like I owe this to the NFL, for being so good to me for so many years.”

Romanowski also has a tight relationship with Al Davis, frequently chatting with the Oakland owner about nutrition and all things Raiders.

Should Davis show an interest in his services, Romanowski would zip off another PowerPoint presentation, one that’s specifically designed for the Raiders.

“He’s still sharp as a tack,” Romanowski said. “You’ve got to be on your game. He’s testing you when he’s talking to you.”

Right now, Romanowski is focusing on his impending meeting with McDaniels, studying up on the former New England offensive coordinator-turned-head coach.

“I’m going to go in and see how it goes,” Romanowski said. “I know I can make a big impact with the Broncos.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An92X3DhHJKz9LPs14.YKjw5nYcB?slug=ap-broncos-romanowski&prov=ap&type=lgns

lol

hades
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
He needs some groin and hamstring vitamins!

telluride
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Keep him away from this team.

KipCorrington25
01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Go away you douche bag you're a Raider, you told us that during your WWF press conference when you signed with them.

Ironlung
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Give him a jersey. He might be our best LB.

Broncos_OTM
01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
its funny how the word vision keeps ariseing bill is not stupid it seems

ludo21
01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Id bring him on as a team nutrionist type of guy. Why not?

DBroncos4life
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
He would bring fire to the team.

SureShot
01-15-2009, 07:15 PM
GTFO Romo!

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Keep him away from this team.

your a total prick, aren't you?

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
I've aways liked Romo, and I hope this works.

Smiling Assassin27
01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
hell, bring in victor conte, kirk radomski, jose canseco, and mcnamee while we're at it.

the guy's a cheater. unless you desire to see broncos players being suspended for violation of the substance abuse policy, send this guy on his way with a hearty thanks, but no thanks.

Broncojef
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Romo totally sold his body out to make plays and perform. I wish last years players had 1/100 of the heart and emotion he possessed during a game. I'd throw him in as a nutritionist/strength coach and as a LB coach. We need more of a presence from guys like him that know how to win and teach the attitude...bring Elway, Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, Alfred Williams...you name it. This team has lost its focus and what made us a winner for too long.

ScottXray
01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Romos a dick. But he's a dick that KNOWS how to use his body and how to fine tune it to get the most out of it..
When he played for us he pulled some Shyt , for sure. And he dislocated Shannons arm (elbow) in that one game when he was a raider. I still think he might have done it on purpose.

But he does know nutrition and he could be an asset in getting players to perform better and have fewer injuries. And with all the testing nowadays he would not put any player at risk, or propose illegal substances....that's a one way ticket out of the NFL for all time. I guess it will depend on what McDaniels thinks.

I can't quite see a mini GNC store with Romo behind the counter in the locker/training room. But his thoughts on specific training for position and players makes a lot of sense. and I wouldn't mind seeing him in on Strength and conditioning...Tuten is FAIL as far as I can see.

Atlas
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Nobody and I say NOBODY wanted to win more than Romanowski. If this team had 1/2 of his heart and dedication they would have won 11 games last year.

clint7
01-15-2009, 07:54 PM
At the very least, he's bringing some media attention to his company.

Florida_Bronco
01-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Romos a dick.

Gotta disagree with that. All accounts I've heard say that off the field he is a great guy.

OBF1
01-15-2009, 07:55 PM
I am all for bringing in Romo, the guy worked as hard or harder than anyone in football.

ScottXray
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Gotta disagree with that. All accounts I've heard say that off the field he is a great guy.
I meant on the field. Remember him smacking his head ain the Pitt game against Flash...practically goaded him into throwing interceptions. spitting in another players face.

He WAS a dick. But when he played here he was OUR dick and I loved him.

bronco militia
01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
bring him back...Shanny ****ed up in 2002 when he told Romo that he was giving his job to Ian Gold ....

thankfully Romo was able to finish off Brian Griese's career in Denver

telluride
01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Id bring him on as a team nutrionist type of guy. Why not?

Well, for one, he'd get the entire team suspended for controlled substances.

Florida_Bronco
01-15-2009, 08:01 PM

Was Romo ever suspended for controlled substances?

bronco militia
01-15-2009, 08:02 PM

that sounds like something stupid you would do

Ha!

Willynowei
01-15-2009, 08:09 PM
To me, the last thing we need is a strength and conditioning "expert" to come in here and feed our guys protein and focus on muscle mass and getting the playres to put up bigger "numbers", only to collapse in the middle of the season to injury or realize that they can't use that weight room strength on the football field.

Football is not about lifting strength, its about concentrated force - explosiveness. We need someone on the cutting edge that focuses on flexibility and the details of joints and tendons. I really doubt that Romo is that guy.

Broncojef
01-15-2009, 08:14 PM
To me, the last thing we need is a strength and conditioning "expert" to come in here and feed our guys protein and focus on muscle mass and getting the playres to put up bigger "numbers", only to collapse in the middle of the season to injury or realize that they can't use that weight room strength on the football field.

Football is not about lifting strength, its about concentrated force - explosiveness. We need someone on the cutting edge that focuses on flexibility and the details of joints and tendons. I really doubt that Romo is that guy.

Huh?

BABronco
01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Id be more than ok with it.

Man I wish we could find another player just like Romo. Yup .. I said just like.. a dirty mean hitting son of a bitch ... all aside from the substance use.

cutthemdown
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM

He is a cool guy just hot tempered on the field and when competing. Bronco fans who diss him IMO are not real fans. They can eat **** and die for all I care. I'm so sick of the pussification of the Bronco fan base. It's all about he's not a good person, I don't want that jerk on my team, Cutler didn't sign my kids football waaaaaaaaa!!!!

It isn't about any of those things. It's about winning Superbowls and Romo did.

Romo is a better Bronco then Al Wilson because Romo was a winner and Al Wilson didn't get it done. That's just how it is.

Romo played as hard as any Broncos I have ever watched play. I can't think of one player who sold out as much save maybe Atwater, Dennis Smith, Mecklenburgh. He really loved the game of football.

Also he didn't want to leave Denver the Broncos kicked him to the curb and didn't try to resign him.

Florida real fans like me and you know exactly what type of Bronco Romo was...........A FRIGGIN GREAT ONE!!!!!!

Sassy
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I meant on the field. Remember him smacking his head ain the Pitt game against Flash...practically goaded him into throwing interceptions. spitting in another players face.

That game was a riot!! lol!

cutthemdown
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Id be more than ok with it.

Man I wish we could find another player just like Romo. Yup .. I said just like.. a dirty mean hitting son of a b**** ... all aside from the substance use.

someone who gets it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post bro!!!

Romo never got suspended for any banned substances. I only care about the players being on the field. I could care less honestly if they use HGH or whatever. I only care if they are stupid and get caught and cause Broncos to lose. Sure I like it when players are like Eddie Mac and just killer in the community and everyone in media loves them. But really I will take a winner who is an HGH infused madman who has 3 arrests for beating women, over a nice guy who never makes any plays and get's dominated.

rovolution
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM

this man speaks the truth...REP

i remember when he talked crap to Dan Marino during the playoff game in 1998 and Marino, who was on the ground, tried to kick him and missed

Rock Chalk
01-15-2009, 08:52 PM

You do realize that he would be coming in as a nutritionist, which will help keep the muscles, tendons, joints and bones stronger right? He's not coming in as a strength coach, but a nutritionist to teach these kids how to eat, what to eat, when to take vitamins and minerals, WHAT vitamins and minerals to eat and such to stay as strong as they can and as healthy as they can.

The dude wasnt ever injured and owns a nutiritional company. I think he knows what the **** he is talking about, a lot more than you do.

Atlas
01-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Where do you come up with this observation? I never saw Romo go down in the mioddle of the season./ The guy was a LBer in every sense of the word. A lot of what ales Denver is that they don't have any Romos.

I love the way Romo played. That is the way I played. I wasn't dirty but I played on the edge. In a 4 games stretch me and the other DE knocked out the starting QB in every game. We hit him hard and often. My girlfriends brother was QB for the other team and she almost left me for the way we treated him, but we played hard and we played legal, enough, and that is how the LBer position is suppossed to be played.

Broncoman13
01-15-2009, 09:24 PM

I have heard the same things. Like most it put a nasty taste in my mouth when he went to Oakland. Going to Oakland (for me) was worse than the THG thing.

He can speak from experience. He can tell the guys as they get older when their bodies stop responding as well that they either need to change their workouts or think long and hard about getting out. Michael Pittman was smart enough to change is regimen completely and it paid off for him. Romo would bring a brand new approach. Metrics and SPC in workouts routines is pretty cutting edge I'd say! Just like a quality engineer would do for a company to make their process more efficient, Romo can do that for an athlete's body. I can guarantee one thing, if he's just spewing a bunch of good thoughts and doesn't know how to get there from here... we'll still be better off when compared to the last couple years.

GIVE HIM A SHOT!

Atlas
01-15-2009, 09:35 PM
He is a cool guy just hot tempered on the field and when competing. Bronco fans who diss him IMO are not real fans. They can eat **** and die for all I care. I'm so sick of the pussification of the Bronco fan base. It's all about he's not a good person, I don't want that jerk on my team, Cutler didn't sign my kids football waaaaaaaaa!!!!

It isn't about any of those things. It's about winning Superbowls and Romo did.

Romo is a better Bronco then Al Wilson because Romo was a winner and Al Wilson didn't get it done. That's just how it is.

Romo played as hard as any Broncos I have ever watched play. I can't think of one player who sold out as much save maybe Atwater, Dennis Smith, Mecklenburgh. He really loved the game of football.

Also he didn't want to leave Denver the Broncos kicked him to the curb and didn't try to resign him.

Florida real fans like me and you know exactly what type of Bronco Romo was...........A FRIGGIN GREAT ONE!!!!!!

CUTTDOWN, I agree with you 1000%, Great post.

AGGRESSION = DOMINANCE
http://www.prosignatures.net/catalog/images/Bill_Romanowski_Broncos_8x1.jpghttp://mission.blackfoot.net/STUDENTS/Web%20Pages/Alan/historic%20players_files/image009.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/stadium/1870/romo.jpg

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/image/13199/romo131.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2540361228_c5da4435fe_o.jpg

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/323040.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C9486F8B927EEF44E6B28 284831B75F48EF45

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/365473.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C9486EE314D34C7546B89 284831B75F48EF45

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/323042.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C948665687791AC44C1CF 284831B75F48EF45

Popcorn Sutton
01-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Romanowski = Steroids.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-10-13-romanowski_x.htm

Not sure he'd be the best choice for the teams "nutrition and supplement" coordinator.

Rock Chalk
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Romo Was better than Al Wilson because Romo was a winner and got it done huh?

What a ****ing retarded statement.

By that logic, Jake is better than Jay.

Romo played with John ****ing Elway.

Al Wilson got to play with Brian ****ing Griese douchebag.

tsiguy96
01-15-2009, 09:40 PM
romo was an absolute animal on the field, we need one on our team. i hope he gets the job, he will bring a needed intensity.

TheDave
01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
This is probably the worst idea I've ever heard... But for some damned reason i think it might work.

BroncoDoug
01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Romanowski = Steroids.

Not sure he'd be the best choice for the teams "nutrition and supplement" coordinator.

I get that he admitted to taking THG and all that, but do you really think he would write a 30 page letter to Bowlen and come in and interview for a nutritionist job, if all he was going to do was hand out illegal steroids? Yeah he was a dick and spit in peoples faces, but he does know his nutrition, and did play in the NFL for 16 years without ever missing a game. All I ask is, why not give it a shot?

~Crash~
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
This is probably the worst idea I've ever heard... But for some damned reason i think it might work.

LOL I iknd of agree could you just imagine the piss test the NFl would be all over us for a few years ... they would get over it in time as long as we test clean but man at first ...

gunns
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Where do you come up with this observation? I never saw Romo go down in the mioddle of the season./ The guy was a LBer in every sense of the word. A lot of what ales Denver is that they don't have any Romos.

I love the way Romo played. That is the way I played. I wasn't dirty but I played on the edge. In a 4 games stretch me and the other DE knocked out the starting QB in every game. We hit him hard and often. My girlfriends brother was QB for the other team and she almost left me for the way we treated him, but we played hard and we played legal, enough, and that is how the LBer position is suppossed to be played.

Exactly! Reminded me of Butkus or Deacon Jones in his attitude. He didn't come on the field to play hop scotch. He came to kill and that's what is missing on the field for the Broncos. My two favorite memories are the sight of him shooting through the line and dropping Chandler in SB XXXIII and smacking his head at Stewart letting him know what a dumb**** he was. The guy took care of himself, never went down, was Mr. Reliable and what he took he took when it wasn't illegal. Who's to say he would have continued. With the our players dropping like flies it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra aid in keeping them as healthy as possible.

montrose
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM

That's really funny and quite true. Romo was a great Bronco but Al was the heart and soul of this team for years and never wore another uniform - let alone our hated rival.

Atlas
01-15-2009, 10:47 PM

Doesn't matter. Look at game changing, Game Altering plays. Romo have many,many more than Wilson even though Wilson was playing at MLB in the middle of the field. Romo made plays when he went to Oakland also. He took out Brian Greise and he also ended Shannon Sharp's season. The guy lived and breathed football 24 hours a day 7 days a week. His only goal in life was to bnecome a better football player.

He is the best Bronco LB since Karl Mecklenburg.

Atlas
01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Romanowski = Steroids.

He didn't take steroids until after he went to Oakland when his skills started to diminish. He never did in Denver. Football is a tough tough game and more people than you think are taking steroids now. They know how to get around it.

yerner
01-16-2009, 12:14 AM
every time ive heard him talk on the radio or tv about nutrition and supplements it seems he mirrors what ive read elsewhere from respected doctors and athletes. i've also used samples of his supplements and have to say his night time zma concoction is great. anybody who lifts should use it or something similiar.

orange crusher
01-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Interesting, espn's article is almost the same, but it includes this: "Broncos vice president of public relations Jim Saccomano told ESPN on Thursday night the Broncos had no knowledge of a meeting with Romanowski."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3836598

cutthemdown
01-16-2009, 12:54 AM

He was a better Bronco then Al Wilson because he meant more to the Broncos winning games then Al Wilson did. The way Romo got into Kordells head in the AFC Championship was a big reason we won that game. His play in the KC game that yr was simply amazing. The way Romo held the edge on the strong side allowed Broncos to do so much with safety's it really helped the Broncos Superbowl runs.

Then in 98 he had a bunch of sacks and a couple big forced fumbles.

What a player he was, IMO top 5 all time Bronco linebacker.

cutthemdown
01-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Doesn't matter. Look at game changing, Game Altering plays. Romo have many,many more than Wilson even though Wilson was playing at MLB in the middle of the field. Romo made plays when he went to Oakland also. He took out Brian Greise and he also ended Shannon Sharp's season. The guy lived and breathed football 24 hours a day 7 days a week. His only goal in life was to bnecome a better football player.

He is the best Bronco LB since Karl Mecklenburg.

Just go read this fools takes on football. He knows nothing so I'm not surprised he doesn't understand what Romo brought to Denver.

Real fans and people who played football understand that's for sure. Romo played the SSL spot exactly how it's supposed to be played. He was perfect in his understanding of what his job was, can't remember him missing tackles, and he always made stops on 3rd down.

UberBroncoMan
01-16-2009, 03:17 AM
I hope you all realize that if Romo was to hand out any illegal stuff and one of our players was caught...

IT WOULD DESTROY HIS NUTRITION COMPANY.

Do you honestly think he would put a company he has no doubt invested a ton of money into, on the line... just to get some guys on HGH or roids.

Not going to happen.

Also, his plans for the players sound awesome.

Proper dieting and workouts tailored to the strength of not only each position, but also each individual player.

The guy knows how to get people physically prepared without crossing the line.

Also, in case some of you were wondering... he is actually going in about potentially being a LB coach. If that doesn't happen, head nutritionist is his fallback... which he basically is going to get. There's no way I wouldn't give him a shot at that, especially with all the injuries we had last year.

On top of that, it would be nice to see Champ play a little younger again :)

UberBroncoMan
01-16-2009, 03:25 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G01MKtMcQSg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G01MKtMcQSg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

orange crusher
01-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Also, in case some of you were wondering... he is actually going in about potentially being a LB coach. If that doesn't happen, head nutritionist is his fallback... which he basically is going to get. There's no way I wouldn't give him a shot at that, especially with all the injuries we had last year.

According to espn, the Broncos don't have any knowledge of this "meeting".

UberBroncoMan
01-16-2009, 05:12 AM
According to espn, the Broncos don't have any knowledge of this "meeting".

Apparently they just added that in an edit 8 hours ago.

Then again this same Broncos team was dodging the Nolan questions and he was reported signed 2 days before they admitted it.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Let him spend all off-season pumping roids into WWIII so we can unleash that little tiger all season long.

driver
01-16-2009, 05:52 AM
I meant on the field. Remember him smacking his head ain the Pitt game against Flash...practically goaded him into throwing interceptions. spitting in another players face.He WAS a dick. But when he played here he was OUR dick and I loved him.

If you remember that game stokes had just torched our secondary for 20 or 30 yds, he was walking past Romo and said something to him! Romo didn't deck him but spit at him. I've always wondered what he said?:spit:

Traveler
01-16-2009, 06:08 AM
F Romo!

Orange_Beard
01-16-2009, 07:25 AM
His "wife" gets great speed.

baja
01-16-2009, 11:53 AM
You do realize that he would be coming in as a nutritionist, which will help keep the muscles, tendons, joints and bones stronger right? He's not coming in as a strength coach, but a nutritionist to teach these kids how to eat, what to eat, when to take vitamins and minerals, WHAT vitamins and minerals to eat and such to stay as strong as they can and as healthy as they can.

The dude wasnt ever injured and owns a nutiritional company. I think he knows what the **** he is talking about, a lot more than you do.

This seems to be falling out into camps, those that are familiar with Romo's nutrition and training regime appreciate his expertise and want him here .

Those that think he was a dirty player (he was borderline) and a traitor for playing for the Raiders after he was let go here do not want him.

Those that do not want him feel that way for the wrong reasons and are also uninformed.

TheReverend
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
This seems to be falling out into camps, those that are familiar with Romo's nutrition and training regime appreciate his expertise and want him here .

Those that think he was a dirty player (he was borderline) and a traitor for playing for the Raiders after he was let go here do not want him.

Those that do not want him feel that way for the wrong reasons and are also uninformed.

He admitted to using steroids in the NFL... we have no idea how successful he might've been without them, dude. Bring him in for pep talks, but please keep away from what the players are ingesting during the season.

cutthemdown
01-16-2009, 12:03 PM

lol at the notion for not liking a player because he is dirty. I wish Broncos had some dirty players right now. You need a few of those to have a nasty team.

Funny because IMO the dirtiest player we had during our Superbowl runs was Dan Neil and you rarely hear him called out on the board. Because Romo went to the Raiders everyone hates him. Well Mike Harden did it also, what they both had in common was the team didn't want them anymore, so they left. People forget how much Romo brought to the Raiders that first yr even though he was close to being washed up.

What people like you and me remember is a player who put football first. A player who sold out in the offseason training, and every Sunday when he played. He practiced hard and played harder. When other players went out night before Superbowl vs Atl Romo worked out in the swimming pool!!!!

The best athletes in the world might be race horses. Why? Every aspect of there life is geared to run. Everything the eat, the workouts, etc etc. Humans have lives and can't do that. Romo was about as close to that as you can get.

He wasn't the most talented football player but I think he tried harder then most any other player i can think of outside of Elway.

Popcorn Sutton
01-16-2009, 12:10 PM
He admitted to using steroids in the NFL... we have no idea how successful he might've been without them, dude. Bring him in for pep talks, but please keep away from what the players are ingesting during the season.

Agreed Rev.

Rohirrim
01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I still have an old #53 jersey in the closet. I seem to remember there were a whole lot of them around this town back then. Romo did one thing the Broncos have not done in a long time; He created fear in the opposition. Like Atwater, he gave receivers alligator arms. At one time in Denver, that was part of the trademark of the Broncos: Come into our house and you're going to get hurt. Too bad we lost that. Romo was a great Bronco.

SportinOne
01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
So all Romo wants is a chance to be a part of the team and our new "king" is rejecting him? Uh oh, i remember something like this turning out bad once...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/ephialtes300/Effy300post.jpg

supermanhr9
01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
People can say what they want about romo, but I agree w/ Atlas. He didn't do all those drugs and enhancers to make more money, go down in the record books, he did it for one main reason, to win.

I'm not saying it was right, or even defending him, but you gotta admit, Romo did a lot of crazy stuff to get an advantage over the other guy. He's old school, and he'd bring that mentality back to a defense that needs something, anything!

Bring him in, let him peddle his smoothies, and let him hang out with the linebackers and tell them how it really is.

2KBack
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Look despite what mistakes he made with substance at the very end of his career, the guy knows how to take care of himself.

Denver is a soft team mentally, and I'm starting to think physically. These young guys just don't seem to be taking care of themselves right. Hence the talk of Marshall eating whoppers in the lockerroom before games. Some awareness about nutrition and proper supplementing could do wonders for this team from a physical performance standpoint, and likely injury avoidance.

I don't remember having anywhere near the injury problems when Romo and Sharpe were both around. I'm sure their influence in the preperation dept helped.

DB Doom
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
i never in a million years thought i would ever think that Romonowski on the Denver staff was a good idea but i really think the guy knows what he's talking about..this would be a perfect fit for him...you know he loves the Broncos.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8872/00bromanowski01js1.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Bronx33
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with a guy with a winning attitude running around handing out protein drinks and good advice on how to win.

DB Doom
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM
pretty much nothing wrong with your avatar either...just wanted to let you know that.

baja
01-16-2009, 03:57 PM
lol at the notion for not liking a player because he is dirty. I wish Broncos had some dirty players right now. You need a few of those to have a nasty team.

Funny because IMO the dirtiest player we had during our Superbowl runs was Dan Neil and you rarely hear him called out on the board. Because Romo went to the Raiders everyone hates him. Well Mike Harden did it also, what they both had in common was the team didn't want them anymore, so they left. People forget how much Romo brought to the Raiders that first yr even though he was close to being washed up.

What people like you and me remember is a player who put football first. A player who sold out in the offseason training, and every Sunday when he played. He practiced hard and played harder. When other players went out night before Superbowl vs Atl Romo worked out in the swimming pool!!!!

The best athletes in the world might be race horses. Why? Every aspect of there life is geared to run. Everything the eat, the workouts, etc etc. Humans have lives and can't do that. Romo was about as close to that as you can get.

<b>He wasn't the most talented football player but I think he tried harder then most any other player i can think of outside of Elway.

I like your post but I have to disagree with the part I bolded, Elway left it all on the field when he played but he was not so devoted off the field. John played hard and he lived hard.

baja
01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I still have an old #53 jersey in the closet. I seem to remember there were a whole lot of them around this town back then. <b>Romo did one thing the Broncos have not done in a long time; He created fear in the opposition.</b> Like Atwater, he gave receivers alligator arms. At one time in Denver, that was part of the trademark of the Broncos: Come into our house and you're going to get hurt. Too bad we lost that. Romo was a great Bronco.

I love how you continually nail the salient point in a discussion. Well done Ro. ;D

BroncsRule
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Willy is dead on with this. It's why ligament injuries are through the roof in recent years - not only here, but throughout the league. These guys aren't training right, and in some cases are over training. It is not possible to increase the strength of ligaments or cartilage in any way - joints are what they are. But it is increasingly easy to overdevelop the related muscle groups, so where you used to get a muscle cramp, now the joint simply fails at it's weakest link, the ligaments and connective tissue.

I don't know what the answer is, and I wouldn't express the need as "concentrated force or explosiveness" as Willy does, but he's right about the fundamental problem.

BroncsRule
01-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Romo was blessed with a "football body" - like Elway or Favre. A frame that could take a lot of punishment without breaking down.

In addition, he put in a lot of extra effort and money exploring the state of the art in fitness.

But unless a kid has that "football body" to start with, Romo's pills aren't going to do anything to prevent one of our players from sustaining an ACL.

That said, I'd be all for finding a job for Romo. If he passes the interview (can convince Doogie McD that he really wants to work, not just clown around and puff his primma donna chest out) - His intensity, his work ethic, and yes, even his nutrition advice, could turn out to be beneficial.

baja
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
To me, the last thing we need is a strength and conditioning "expert" to come in here and feed our guys protein and focus on muscle mass and getting the players to put up bigger "numbers", only to collapse in the middle of the season to injury or realize that they can't use that weight room strength on the football field.

<b>Football is not about lifting strength, its about concentrated force - explosiveness. We need someone on the cutting edge that focuses on flexibility and the details of joints and tendons. I really doubt that Romo is that guy.

Did you even read his proposal? That is exactly his position He wants to devise and individual plan for each player to consider all your points and more.

Here read this;

There’s another level on where to take a team when it comes to the way it trains,” said Romanowski, who suited up for San Francisco, Philadelphia, Denver and Oakland during a standout 16-year career in the NFL that was marked by a bad temper and his admitted use of THG, the designer steroid at the center of the BALCO scandal.

Romanowski said he would also hire a full-time nutritionist and bring in some of the world’s elite strength and conditioning coaches.

As for the protein bar, it would be like a mini Jamba Juice, complete with ingredients to boost strength, endurance and the immune system.

He would also design workouts tailored to an athlete’s specific needs. That way, an offensive lineman isn’t doing the same workout as, say, a defensive back.

“What they do on the football field is totally different. Their strength programs and speed programs will be very different,” Romanowski said. “Say you have eight defensive backs. They’re all going to be very similar in the way they’re trained, but one day a week may be very detailed to what each specific player’s needs are. Maybe one needs more leg strength? Maybe one needs more of a burst? Maybe one has trouble changing directions to his right? So you break it down that specifically.”

Given his close friendship with Bowlen, Romanowski’s preference is to land a role with the Broncos.

Rohirrim
01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Willy is dead on with this. It's why ligament injuries are through the roof in recent years - not only here, but throughout the league. These guys aren't training right, and in some cases are over training. It is not possible to increase the strength of ligaments or cartilage in any way - joints are what they are. But it is increasingly easy to overdevelop the related muscle groups, so where you used to get a muscle cramp, now the joint simply fails at it's weakest link, the ligaments and connective tissue.

I don't know what the answer is, and I wouldn't express the need as "concentrated force or explosiveness" as Willy does, but he's right about the fundamental problem.

I remember Michael Jordan swore by yoga. He did an extreme yoga workout every day. Kept all that connective tissue flexible and limber.

Sodak
01-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Didn't he spit in TO's face when he was with Frisco?

I think I'll give Romo a pass for that one...

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2009, 08:28 PM

dude, how stupid are you and willy? If there is ONE THING that will help players with issues like tendons and legiments, it's PROPER NUTRITION!!

Man your stupid. I mean STOOOOPID!

Spider
01-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Some tell Romo we moved to Kansas city ........stupid ****er will never know the difference

~Crash~
01-16-2009, 11:26 PM

tell me this if he spit in a white players face would you even care .. my god people are gone crazy .... he spit in the face of a ****ing pussy that got into his face a great player stokley was a scrub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhat01
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM
tell me this if he spit in a white players face would you even care .. my god people are gone crazy .... he spit in the face of a ****ing p***Y that got into his face a great player stokley was a scrub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have another shot tiger, you're on a roll tonight.

~Crash~
01-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Some tell Romo we moved to Kansas city ........stupid ****er will never know the difference

someone tell you that he kicked the **** out of KC even if they made our oline wipe off pam ! one of his Ideas:thumbsup:

~Crash~
01-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Have another shot tiger, you're on a roll tonight.
yep add pam and let a big 12''split your loins
black preferably since that is hip

jhat01
01-16-2009, 11:47 PM
yep add pam and let a big 12''split your loins
black preferably since that is hip

i dont get it

Spider
01-16-2009, 11:49 PM
someone tell you that he kicked the **** out of KC even if they made our oline wipe off pam ! one of his Ideas:thumbsup:

Still doesnt make up for him trying to break Sharpes arm ........ **** Romo

Bronco Yoda
01-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Bring him in. He'd bust off 2k in our new system

cutthemdown
01-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Still doesnt make up for him trying to break Sharpes arm ........ **** Romo

really? What about Sharpe's big play for a td against Broncos in the playoffs when he was on Ravens? If not for that play we may have won that game.

So screw Sharpe also. Actually though I love them both because they were on the teams that won Superbowls. I was sick of watching Broncos lose Superbowls, 4 was enough.

Play2win
01-17-2009, 03:20 AM
really? What about Sharpe's big play for a td against Broncos in the playoffs when he was on Ravens? If not for that play we may have won that game.

So screw Sharpe also. Actually though I love them both because they were on the teams that won Superbowls. I was sick of watching Broncos lose Superbowls, 4 was enough.

would have been nice if Shanahan had kept them both...

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM

word

Spider
01-17-2009, 09:14 AM

Cant blame Sharpe for doing his job ....what kind of **** is that ? if you want to blame anyone Blame Shanny for that ........ What romo did wasnt his job , if Romo broke everyone of griese bones on a clean sack , I wouldnt bitch one bit , that was his job , but the way he tried to break sharpes arm wasnt ......... Dude you need to get your head out of your ass

rugbythug
01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Cant blame Sharpe for doing his job ....what kind of **** is that ? if you want to blame anyone Blame Shanny for that ........ What romo did wasnt his job , if Romo broke everyone of griese bones on a clean sack , I wouldnt b**** one bit , that was his job , but the way he tried to break sharpes arm wasnt ......... Dude you need to get your head out of your ass

Lets be totally honest here. If you don't think our defense needs more people who would try and break the oppositions arms you are crazy.

Spider
01-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Lets be totally honest here. If you don't think our defense needs more people who would try and break the oppositions arms you are crazy.

no you are the crazy one if you think we need that , I think we need more of a Randy Gradishar , Tom Jackson, Al Wilson kind of players , guys who did their jobs , did them well and within the laws of the game .....

driver
01-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Wasen't TO it was JJ Stokes a real nasty little shi_! :spit:

TheReverend
01-17-2009, 09:49 AM

I might be off here, but wasn't one of the main reasons Shannon left because he hated Romo?

driver
01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Cant blame Sharpe for doing his job ....what kind of **** is that ? if you want to blame anyone Blame Shanny for that ........ What romo did wasnt his job , if Romo broke everyone of griese bones on a clean sack , I wouldnt b**** one bit , that was his job , but the way he tried to break sharpes arm wasnt ......... Dude you need to get your head out of your ass

There are dirty plays all over the NFL in every game! Look at the piling on and slow whistle that took Torain out in the Cleveland game! Take a look at the flagrant clip on Larsen in the third quarter of the Jets game! NO FLAG!
AND I still haven't seen any kind of fine levied against Mangold for that clip, but the league managed to FINE Stokley for making a snow angel after a td! how come?? Anyone care to give me a reason? We need to start hounding the league office about this shi_! League fairness, what a JOKE!

Sorry for the rant!:wave:

Spider
01-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I might be off here, but wasn't one of the main reasons Shannon left because he hated Romo?

No Ian Gold was getting more practice time aka become a starter over Romo , Romo still wanted to be a starter

Spider
01-17-2009, 10:02 AM
There are dirty plays all over the NFL in every game! Look at the piling on and slow whistle that took Torain out in the Cleveland game! Take a look at the flagrant clip on Larsen in the third quarter of the Jets game! NO FLAG!
AND I still haven't seen any kind of fine levied against Mangold for that clip, but the league managed to FINE Stokley for making a snow angel after a td! how come?? Anyone care to give me a reason? We need to start hounding the league office about this shi_! League fairness, what a JOKE!

Sorry for the rant!:wave:

Did you see the Play where Romo tried to break Sharpes arm ?

TheReverend
01-17-2009, 10:15 AM
No Ian Gold was getting more practice time aka become a starter over Romo , Romo still wanted to be a starter

...and that has what to do with Shannon...?

driver
01-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Did you see the Play where Romo tried to break Sharpes arm ?

Sure did! Did you see the play when Davidson ran half way across the field and speared Dawson in the back while he was lieing on the field already injured? That was in 69 or 70 I think. I'm just saying that dirty plays have been happening for as long as there's been football. Why condemn Romo when everyone else does it?

Spider
01-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Sure did! Did you see the play when Davidson ran half way across the field and speared Dawson in the back while he was lieing on the field already injured? That was in 69 or 70 I think. I'm just saying that dirty plays have been happening for as long as there's been football. Why condemn Romo when everyone else does it?

Cause not everyone else does it , I dont remember Gradishar or Jackson , or wilson , even Mobley doing it dirty , hell the Ham, Lambert , didnt do what Romo did ......even Dick Butkis didnt do what Romo did ........ So no..... not everyone does it , so **** romo and **** Romo apologist

Spider
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Hell not even Rodney Harrison did what Romo did , and if you cant see that ,then you dont remember the play .Romo was beat so Badly to begin with it wasnt even funny ........

Inkana7
01-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Romo played dirty, played mean and played good football. He was feared. He was intense. A player like him is EXACTLY what our Defense has been missing the past few years. Just a mean mother****er that likes to hurt people. Even in 06 Warren and Al brought a little intensity and meanness.

Spider
01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Romo played dirty, played mean and played good football. He was feared. He was intense. A player like him is EXACTLY what our Defense has been missing the past few years. Just a mean mother****er that likes to hurt people. Even in 06 Warren and Al brought a little intensity and meanness.

Bull**** as much as I hate Ray Lewis , he brings it clean , Teko Spikes brought it clean Urlacher brings it clean , pick anyone of the Steelers line backers ......
Trotter etc .........Hell Zach Thomas . you guys are off in La LA land ...Feared hey ? romo was feared ? yeah Cory Dillion ring a bell ? Rich Gannon on Monday night ?

Los Broncos
01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Here is what he did to a teammates face.

Spider
01-17-2009, 11:28 AM
feared :rofl: the last 2 Defenders of the Broncos that was feared was DS49 and Steve Atwater ...... Al Wilson was respected ....... Romo wasnt feared he was hated

Spider
01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
offenses are more Afraid of Suggs then they ever was of Romo

Inkana7
01-17-2009, 11:33 AM
offenses are more Afraid of Suggs then they ever was of Romo

You think Suggs plays clean? He put bounties on two Steelers, for God's sake.

Spider
01-17-2009, 11:35 AM

That still doesnt even compare to what romo did to Sharpe ....... even Suggs is above Romo in class , and that is saying something

Spider
01-17-2009, 11:38 AM

Learn to read I didnt say Suggs brought it clean , I just said offenses fear Suggs more then Romo , where you got Suggs brings it clean out of that is anyones guess

Inkana7
01-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Learn to read I didnt say Suggs brought it clean , I just said offenses fear Suggs more then Romo , where you got Suggs brings it clean out of that is anyones guess

I got it from you referencing other players, including a guy who was investigated for Murder, and how they "brought it clean". I figured you were grouping Suggs with those other guys.

Spider
01-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I got it from you referencing other players, including a guy who was investigated for Murder, and how they "brought it clean". I figured you were grouping Suggs with those other guys.

well you figured wrong , I used Suggs in a complete different post ....... As far as Lewis and his OFF field antics , really doesnt have anything to do with his game

driver
01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
well you figured wrong , I used Suggs in a complete different post ....... As far as Lewis and his OFF field antics , really doesnt have anything to do with his game

Lewis gets away with more helmit hits than any other player! He sure isn't any paragon of virtue or goodness the way you're making him out to be, on or off the field!

baja
01-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Bull**** as much as I hate Ray Lewis , he brings it clean , Teko Spikes brought it clean Urlacher brings it clean , pick anyone of the Steelers line backers ......
Trotter etc .........Hell Zach Thomas . you guys are off in La LA land ...Feared hey ? romo was feared ? yeah Cory Dillion ring a bell ? Rich Gannon on Monday night ?

You mean none of them were throat punchers. :wiggle:

Spider
01-17-2009, 01:12 PM
[/B]

Lewis gets away with more helmit hits than any other player! He sure isn't any paragon of virtue or goodness the way you're making him out to be, on or off the field!

A line backer helmet to helmet hits .......... Gee i wonder what the chances are of that happening ? ...........

Spider
01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
You mean none of them were throat punchers. :wiggle:

LOL I will be down close to your neck of the woods .......... actually going to Santa Teressa port of Entry in new Mex .....

baja
01-17-2009, 01:16 PM
LOL I will be down close to your neck of the woods .......... actually going to Santa Teressa port of Entry in new Mex .....

You can't get here from there ;D

Spider
01-17-2009, 01:20 PM
You can't get here from there ;D

;D

baja
01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
lol