Goobzilla
01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Love it!

TheDave
01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Amen!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
YES!!! First piece of good news in weeks.

tsiguy96
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
yes! probably the best RB coach in the NFL, it would be hard to drop him. i wonder if he even wants a promotion? some people are just perfectly content doing what they are great at.

Paladin
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
i bet turner loathes this young punk.

I wouldn't think so. That "young punk" probably knows just who he is and what he has done. Not a quesiton of "keeping" him, but a question of would he stay......

jhat01
01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't think so. That "young punk" probably knows just who he is and what he has done. Not a quesiton of "keeping" him, but a question of would he stay......

I think that's right. Who knows, maybe nobody was beating his door down to hire him either. He seems like a guy that's pretty content, but idk

cutthemdown
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM

Why stay then? Just because a man is young doesn't mean he doesn't treat other men with respect. You can be young, and intelligent and respectful. Loath is a pretty strong term.

Better would be to say I bet Turner is a tad uneasy having to have a 32 yr old boss.

In reality though they are all employees of Pat Bowlen and the Denver Broncos. IMO people will come to work fired up to have their ideas heard by the new coach.

Pseudofool
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I wonder if this bodes well for Bates or Dennison staying.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
PIMP

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3300/bobbyturnerbl7.jpg

theAPAOps5
01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Thats awesome news because there was a lot of rumors he didn't even want to interview McDaniels. But hot damn I am excited.

Man-Goblin
01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Great news.

cutthemdown
01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I hope McDaniels and Cutler works with Turner and the backs to get more going with the Rbs in the passing game.

Pats rack up about 800-900 yrds a yr in passing game to the rbs. They are usually high % plays that work well when you have a good medium to long range passing game with your TE and WR. We have that so we should be able to cherry pick our backs into the flats and over the middle short more then we do.

theAPAOps5
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't think Dennison stays though. Just my hunch, but when he interviewed for 5 hours and "impressed" them with no second interview I bet he goes for other opportunities.

cutthemdown
01-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Great news.

it really is the more holdovers the better IMO. That way it's not totally new for the players. They have a couple coaches that know them, that can help new staff get to know the players personalty's.

It will take awhile for the Broncos to be a family again but when you play sports you can become close very fast. You see each other a lot, practice, travel etc.

It's going to be strange for the players to not have Shanny walking around the facility but hopefully coaches like Turner can help with the transition.

Man-Goblin
01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
I think the 'family' thing is overated. You just need everyone to get along off the field and work well together on the field. It doesn't have to be that intimate.

broncofan2438
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Nice

BroncoInferno
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM

Yeah, that's why he elected to stay on his staff :dummy:

jhat01
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
I think the 'family' thing is overated. You just need everyone to get along off the field and work well together on the field. It doesn't have to be that intimate.

right..it's not like they are going to be swapping spit in the shower. (In my best Gunny Highway voice)

BigPlayShay
01-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Let the "He'll break off 2k in our system" comments continue for all eternity!!!

BroncoDoug
01-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Let the "He'll break off 2k in our system" comments continue for all eternity!!!

Exactly!!! Maybe even with Shanny gone they will take a RB in the high rounds! I would love to see what Tuner can do with a stud after taking undrafted RB and turning them into 1000yd rushers..

ie Clinton Portis anyone?

OBF1
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Good news. Turner is what we still need in our running game.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow this must be a good night. Turner stays and the avi's get turned back on.

BroncoBuff
01-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Good news...

listopencil
01-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Exactly!!! Maybe even with Shanny gone they will take a RB in the high rounds! I would love to see what Tuner can do with a stud after taking undrafted RB and turning them into 1000yd rushers..

There is no way in hell this team should be drafting an offensive player, especially a RB, high this year.

BroncoDoug
01-15-2009, 12:05 AM
There is no way in hell this team should be drafting an offensive player, especially a RB, high this year.

This is very true, I was actually thinking more about next years draft...

spdirty
01-15-2009, 12:08 AM
thank God.

telluride
01-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Excellent. Bobby Turner Overdrive continues.

Que
01-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Bobby Turner is the mang!!!

Hallside
01-15-2009, 12:19 AM
He's the only one I really wanted to stay.

Karenin
01-15-2009, 12:21 AM

Let me guess, you have a boss that is like 20 years younger than you and you are projecting your feelings about him onto Turner? For a six-figure salary, I'm sure Turner can handle having a younger boss. For a six-figure salary, I'd work for a 10 year old.

BroncoMan4ever
01-15-2009, 12:37 AM

i doubt he feels that way. if he did he wouldn't have stayed to work under him. and just because he is young doesn't mean he is a bad coach. he knows his **** and probably reached out in hopes that Turner would stay

Play2win
01-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Excellent. Bobby Turner Overdrive continues.

LOL

BTO, Baby!! :militia:

footstepsfrom#27
01-15-2009, 01:02 AM
ha ha..he's older than you. :welcome:

yerner
01-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Let me guess, you have a boss that is like 20 years younger than you and you are projecting your feelings about him onto Turner? For a six-figure salary, I'm sure Turner can handle having a younger boss. For a six-figure salary, I'd work for a 10 year old.

nope, not even close. i was mostly joking but i just know that turner is a monster of a football coach.

and look, i hope mcdaniels does well, but i think he jumped over alot of very good coaches that put in more time and sacrificed much more of their lives.

I also don't believe that there is any 'genius' when it comes to coaching football. I think that getting hired in the NFL is alot about who you know and being given oppritunity.

yerner
01-15-2009, 01:20 AM
ha ha..he's older than you. :welcome:

? both are older than me.

cutthemdown
01-15-2009, 02:04 AM
nope, not even close. i was mostly joking but i just know that turner is a monster of a football coach.

and look, i hope mcdaniels does well, but i think he jumped over alot of very good coaches that put in more time and sacrificed much more of their lives.

I also don't believe that there is any 'genius' when it comes to coaching football. I think that getting hired in the NFL is alot about who you know and being given oppritunity.

I think McDaniels is special. He has a knack for play calling and play design. I was digging the way he got ball to RB's for big gains by actually designing plays that were meant to trick the defense. In Denver throwing to backs has been an afterthought. Also He can work with QBS and that's a big deal in NFL. He reminds me of John Gruden and a little Shanny. I think we will see a lot of cool formations that use our good double TE. IMO Broncos didn't do that enough last yr.

The big question will be will players sell out for him. We will see but outside of keeping Shanny I think this was best move. I still feel one more yr for Shanny would have been a good idea.

Pat Bowlen
01-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Earning an opportunity in life usually has a lot to do with who you know regardless of what you've already proven. What you do with that opportunity is where the 'genius' comes in, and your comments are making it seem like you have a serious lack of it.

footstepsfrom#27
01-15-2009, 02:17 AM
This move makes me think that we might possibly retain the stretch zone blocking system. Turner is a key to juding RB talent that functions well in that 1 cut and go back we're always looking for. I don't mind that a bit but I hope we're not going to continue plugging in guys of average talent and just rely on the system to gain yards. We also need a major talent at this position.

fontaine
01-15-2009, 03:55 AM
How can Turner work under someone so young??

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMED!!!!!

UberBroncoMan
01-15-2009, 04:16 AM
Man... how can the Steelers even play anymore this year.

Mike Tomlin the head coach is now 36 and their stud DC Dick LeBeau is 71.

HOW IS THIS HAPPENING AHHHHHHHH!!!

Broncoman13
01-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Thats awesome news because there was a lot of rumors he didn't even want to interview McDaniels. But hot damn I am excited.

Gotta give McKid some props here. Not only was he smart enough to recognize Turner as a great RB coach, he was able to entice Turner enough to stay in Dove Valley. The kid must be spewin a good plan! Nice Surprise.

dbfan21
01-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Great news.

That is one of the best avatars I have ever seen on the Mane! :rofl: :thumbsup:

I am laughing out loud in my office right now...good thing no one is here to hear me!

Broncoman13
01-15-2009, 05:42 AM

So I guess we should have brought in Marty to coach this team... lord knows he's put in more time and sacrificed much more of his life than McKid has. What about Dan Reeves, maybe we should have brought him back instead?

Broncoman13
01-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Man... how can the Steelers even play anymore this year.

Mike Tomlin the head coach is now 36 and their stud DC Dick LeBeau is 71.

HOW IS THIS HAPPENING AHHHHHHHH!!!

Speaking of Tomlin! Anybody see the PC with him the other night? It was actually pretty funny, but I think he was dead serious. Went something like this:

Reporter: Some of your players were saying that you've improved as a coach since last year. How do you feel you've improved?

Tomlin: First of all my players shouldn't be critiquing me, I'm the coach, I critique them! I answer to my management.... How's your Editor doing?

baja
01-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Bobby Turner will break off 2K in his system.

Broncoman13
01-15-2009, 06:05 AM

I thought we were going to fire (or stone) the next person to say this!!!?

baja
01-15-2009, 06:13 AM
I thought we were going to fire (or stone) the next person to say this!!!?

I'm trying to get banned

Rohirrim
01-15-2009, 06:48 AM
I don't have to look for another adopt-a-Bronco. !Booya!

Dedhed
01-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Great news. Turner was the only coach who I think the Broncos would have missed were they to let him go.

Dedhed
01-15-2009, 07:08 AM
i think he jumped over alot of very good coaches that put in more time and sacrificed much more of their lives.
Ahh, the mantra of the untalented and mediocre. "I've put in my time, and sacrificed, therefore I deserve it". This is a results based league, and you don't hire someone based on how many years they've put in.

dbfan21
01-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Speaking of Tomlin! Anybody see the PC with him the other night? It was actually pretty funny, but I think he was dead serious. Went something like this:

Reporter: Some of your players were saying that you've improved as a coach since last year. How do you feel you've improved?

Tomlin: First of all my players shouldn't be critiquing me, I'm the coach, I critique them! I answer to my management.... How's your Editor doing?

That's awesome! I did not see this, but am glad you brought it up. Tomlin is right, BTW.

TheReverend
01-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Awesome! Turner's turned more water into wine than Jesus.

illbroncsfn
01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Great move to retain Bobby Turner- he really should be given an award for his work preparing 8 different RB's this year in addition to converting Spencer Larsen into a FB.

backup qb
01-15-2009, 07:58 AM
good news indeed.

lostknight
01-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Excellent news. I am still hopeful that more of the Mike Shanahan offensive coaches stick around, but Bobby Turner is a absolute no-brainer. It also means that McDaniels is willing to think outside of the New England box and actually commit to a real running game.

cmhargrove
01-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I love it. It would be awful to lose Turner. And, I think it says something about his confidence to stick with McDaniels. Josh is doing a good job of putting together an experienced staff that will keep credibility with the players - I like it.

The upcoming "talent evaluation" now becomes very interesting. It will be interesting to see which RB's stick after having so many active last year.

bowtown
01-15-2009, 08:13 AM
This move makes me think that we might possibly retain the stretch zone blocking system. Turner is a key to juding RB talent that functions well in that 1 cut and go back we're always looking for. I don't mind that a bit but I hope we're not going to continue plugging in guys of average talent and just rely on the system to gain yards. We also need a major talent at this position.

This is what I was thinking as well. I know Turner excells in the one-cut ZBS, what I don't know is how well his coaching and eye for talent opperate outside that system. It would make me a feel a lot better if I knew Dennison was sticking around as well, but I can't imagine that McDaniels will keep him at OC and I doubt he'll want to take a demotion.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Thank God, this prevented an epic meltdown here and we all know that that's all that really matters.

Traveler
01-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Thank God, this prevented an epic meltdown here and we all know that that's all that really matters.

How many epic meltdown can we have? I don't think it could get any worse than the meltdown after Shanahan was fired. But then again, this is the Mane.:wiggle:

dbfan4life
01-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Turner had to be the top priority for McDaniels over Bates and Dennison. I think Turner stayed because he knows what Denver has as an offense. Who wouldn't want to stay and coach talent like that.

Traveler
01-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Turner had to be the top priority for McDaniels over Bates and Dennison. I think Turner stayed because he knows what Denver has as an offense. Who wouldn't want to stay and coach talent like that.

The question now becomes will he stay here to coach once Shanahan gets his new gig? Hopefully that was part of the discussion during his interview with McD.

dbfan4life
01-15-2009, 08:26 AM
The question now becomes will he stay here to coach once Shanahan get his new gig? Hopefully that was part of the discussion during his interview with McD.

Good question. Who knows? I haven't heard Shanahan's name being thrown around alot. I have a hunch he may not coach this year. Next year? Anyone's guess.

SoDak Bronco
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM

Clinton Portis or Tatum Bell were both taken in the 2nd round, is that high enough for you? You can find great RB's without having to blow a first round pick on them.

Kaylore
01-15-2009, 08:36 AM

http://blog.feefifoto.com/images/2008/02/13/lombardi_trophy.jpg

SoDak Bronco
01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
At least one of Mike Shanahan's longtime assistants is expected to be back on the Denver sideline next season.
Running backs coach Bobby Turner, who has held that job since 1995, has been offered that role on new coach Josh McDaniels' staff, according to an NFL source.
Turner had no comment Wednesday night.
McDaniels met with Turner and offensive line coach Rick Dennison on Tuesday. It is unclear whether Dennison has been officially offered a job in Denver, though a source said it is believed McDaniels would like Dennison to stay.
Dennison interviewed for the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator job this week, and he said Wednesday night that he is unsure of where he stands with either organization. "Nobody has
Denver Broncos

<LI class=video>Watch video of Jim Armstrong analyzing the comings and goings on the Broncos' coaching staff (http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/link/bcpid1504364485/bclid1443772310/bctid7251144001). <LI class=video>Watch video of Jim Armstrong picking Sunday's AFC and NFC conference championship games (http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/link/bcpid1504364485/bclid1443772310/bctid7252844001). <LI class=slideshow>View slide show of new Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels (http://photos.denverpost.com/photoprojects/galleries/sportsgalleryV6.html#id=album-4387&num=1). <LI class=video>Watch video of Josh McDaniels at introduction as Broncos coach (http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/link/bcpid1504364485/bclid1443772310/bctid6983617001). <LI class=video>Watch video of Jim Armstrong analyzing new "football coach" (http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/link/bcpid1504364485/bclid1443772310/bctid7040277001). <LI class=video>Watch video of Woody Paige commenting on Broncos' new coach (http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/link/bcpid1504364485/bclid1481452837/bctid6983689001). <LI class=slideshow>View slide show of new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan (http://photos.denverpost.com/photoprojects/galleries/sportsgalleryV6.html#id=album-4390&num=1). <LI class=data>See the Broncos final 2008 stats, transactions, roster, more (.pdf) (http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0106/20090106_050744_Denver_2008_Final_Information.pdf) . <LI class=blog>Read Lindsay Jones' entries on the All Things Broncos blog (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/). <LI class=email>Ask Mike Klis about the team or NFL in the Broncos Mailbag (http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag). <LI class=link>Read the latest Broncos commentaries by Jim Armstrong (http://www.denverpost.com/jimmy).
Post photos of you and loved ones showing Broncos spirit (http://neighbors.denverpost.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=8). <!--<li class="data">Evaluate boxscores, roster and the latest team numbers on the Broncos Stats Page (http://stats.denverpost.com/football/nfl-teams.aspx?page=/data/nfl/teams/team21.html).<li class="link">Play Pick'em for the upcoming Broncos game (http://denverpost.sportsballot.com/PlayBallot.aspx?sportID=854).-->

called me," Dennison said. "We'll have to wait and see."

Turner and Dennison were Shanahan's longest-tenured assistants and were the two coaches most responsible for Denver's running game.
While McDaniels will install his own offensive scheme, he said after his introductory news conference Monday that Denver's patented zone blocking scheme might remain.
"We use a lot of the same blocking schemes and run-game schemes that they've used," McDaniels said. "I know they get a lot of attention for that and it's something you don't look to pull the plug on unless you have something better to do. So we're going to see."
Turner has been credited with helping mold Terrell Davis, a sixth-round draft pick, into a league MVP as well as being instrumental in turning a series of other unheralded backs into 1,000-yard rushers.
"Bobby's been a valuable member of this staff for 14 years," vice president of football operations Jim Goodman said earlier this week. "He's a great coach, a great motivator."
Dennison held the title of offensive coordinator under Shanahan, but quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates called plays in 2008.
With McDaniels set to call the plays in 2009, Bates' future with the team is in doubt, despite his close relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler. Bates has received permission to interview for a job in Oakland.
Wide receivers coach Jedd Fisch, who has a close relationship with receiver Brandon Marshall, also could stay with the Broncos.
McDaniels spent Wednesday holding a series of meetings as he tries to put together his staff, a group that will likely be completely new on defense and special teams.
Linebackers coach Jim Ryan was considered the most likely candidate to stay, but he will not get an interview with McDaniels and new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.
Staff writers Mike Klis and Jim Armstrong contributed to this report. Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com (ljones@denverpost.com)

gyldenlove
01-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Am I the only one who is truly excited about Peyton Hillis right now? He looks solid as a single back runner, he is one of the top recieving backs in the league in terms of hands and that seems to be something McDaniels is good at utilizing.

If we are going to play the spread we are going to play a lot without a lead blocker so we need someone who can open up things on his own, Hillis did that, we need someone who can split out wide or come out of the backfield, Hillis did that, and we need someone who can catch the ball every time and make things happen, Hillis did that.

I would still like another RB to go with him, but I feel like Hillis is almost tailor made to this kind of offense. He knows it well from his days in Arkansas and he can fit so many roles that he can be on the field on so many plays.

Traveler
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Am I the only one who is truly excited about Peyton Hillis right now? He looks solid as a single back runner, he is one of the top recieving backs in the league in terms of hands and that seems to be something McDaniels is good at utilizing.

If we are going to play the spread we are going to play a lot without a lead blocker so we need someone who can open up things on his own, Hillis did that, we need someone who can split out wide or come out of the backfield, Hillis did that, and we need someone who can catch the ball every time and make things happen, Hillis did that.

I would still like another RB to go with him, but I feel like Hillis is almost tailor made to this kind of offense. He knows it well from his days in Arkansas and he can fit so many roles that he can be on the field on so many plays.

I like him too. Just not as a primary back. That said, he would be a great fit if we had an offense similar to the one used by the Redskins with Riggins. Hillis has a similar running style but better hands.

If were are maintaining the WCO, I like to see a more conventional version, similar to the old 49ers with Roger Craig (Torain) and Rathman (Hillis).

Mountain Bronco
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Ahh, the mantra of the untalented and mediocre. "I've put in my time, and sacrificed, therefore I deserve it". This is a results based league, and you don't hire someone based on how many years they've put in.

Ha, Dedhed pegged it.

Rohirrim
01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm hoping Bobby can turn Hillis into another John Riggins.

Smiling Assassin27
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm hoping Bobby can turn Hillis into another John Riggins.

Hell, I'd settle for another Mike Alstott.

gyldenlove
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
I like him too. Just not as a primary back. That said, he would be a great fit if we had an offense similar to the one used by the Redskins with Riggins. Hillis has a similar running style but better hands.

If were are maintaining the WCO, I like to see a more conventional version, similar to the old 49ers with Roger Craig (Torain) and Rathman (Hillis).

Considering Josh McDaniels is going to call the plays and he is a spread offense guy, I would say the WCO is as dead as a very dead dodo.

I think we are going to see a lot of single back formations and a lot of shotgun formations. Right now I like Pittman, Hillis and Alridge for that, but I would like to draft another RB, probably in the 3rd round.

Pittman and Hillis can both run the ball without a lead blocker and both have decent hands so they provide the dual threat that fits so well in the spread. Alridge is a change of pace back, he has the lightning speed, in the preseason last year he looked surprisingly good at spotting holes and hitting them with authority.

I imagine we will see a lot of Marshall, Royal and Scheffler split out wide with Graham providing the blocking and no lead blocker.

lostknight
01-15-2009, 10:21 AM

Not at all. I agree completely with your analysis, in a McDaniel's offense - hell even in a classic Shanahan offense Hillis is absolutely perfect running back.IIRC, most of the analysis about Hillis was that he would be first round material if only his height were different. Hillis proved that this wasn't an issue late in the season, and also provided to be a great receiver out of the back field. When you look at New England, they like to rotate backs, and they like to throw to RBs in the spread.

bowtown
01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Am I the only one who is truly excited about Peyton Hillis right now?

Yep, the only one. I have not seen one other post or thread on this board from anyone who is excited about Hillis.

Rohirrim
01-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Bring back the "I-right 70 chip." ;D

Traveler
01-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Yep, the only one. I have not seen one other post or thread on this board from anyone who is excited about Hillis.

Not trying to start an argument here, but maybe folks are just witholding comment till it's been articulated/determined exactly what type offense the team will run.

Hillis is a nice FB and his running skills might translate well to another type of offense. Only time will tell.

bowtown
01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Not trying to start an argument here, but maybe folks are just witholding comment till it's been articulated/determined exactly what type offense the team will run.

Hillis is a nice FB and his running skills might translate well to another type of offense. Only time will tell.

Again, my attempts at sarcasm fall on their face. This is becoming a trend with me.

TheDave
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Don't worry, just wait until 45 minutes into FA when we haven't signed Suggs, Peppers, AND Haynesworth.

There will be a whole new series of meltdowns...

HooptyHoops
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Turner...I'm very, very happy that we kept him...obviously, we all are!! Go Broncos!!

Hercules Rockefeller
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Don't worry, just wait until 45 minutes into FA when we haven't signed Suggs, Peppers, AND Haynesworth.

There will be a whole new series of meltdowns...

I'm more afraid if they sign someone for more than the armchair QBs think someone is worth.

OMG!!!! They overpaid for someone to help the team when they have $30+M in cap room? The Goodman's are morons!!!!! Bowlen get your drunk ass out of your office and pull an Al Davis and make the personnel decisions on your own!! Then when you mess up we'll scream that you're an Al Davis that needs to hire a real GM. Rinse. Repeat.