PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Hits/Misses

no-pseudo-fan
01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I was thinking that the draft is coming in a few months and with the season over, that maybe taking a look at our past draft class. I know that we had 2 huge impact players in Clady and Royal, but do you think that we could've picked wiser in retrospect? I wouldn't trade Clady,Royal, or Hillis for anyone that went below them, but what about the others?

1(12) Clady

2(42) Royal

4(108) Kory Lichtensteiger

4(119) Jack Williams

5(139) Ryan Torain

5(148) Carlton Powell

6(183) Spencer Larsen

7(220) Josh Barrett

7(227) Peyton Hillis

Think about it? Would you have rather had Tashard Choice and/or Quintin Demps in the 4th instead? Maybe a Brandon Carr and/or Frank Okam in the 5th?

We ended up with a great draft class, but could it have been better, is the jury still out on some of these players?

Kaylore
01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
There's always someone "better" we could have picked...except for our first two picks this year. ;D

Seriously though, you just try and hit what you can. We pretty much nailed this draft, though.

no-pseudo-fan
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I agree, but when evaluating anything you should look at both good and bad. This is good so you can find out why you missed on a certain player, and how you can improve going forward. So....how can we improve?

FantomForce
01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Gotta keep Larsen!

Mediator12
After the first two rounds, it really takes a few years to see what you get. It is way too early to even try to do this IMHO. Some guys did get some impressive Playing time at lower draft selections this year, but that is usually due to drafting a specific type of role player to fit your system, than due to pure talent in the first year.

watermock
All we can do is hope the Goodmans can draft defense better than 07.

Peoples Champ
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
IMO

TOrrain , Larsen, Barret, And Jack Mofo all show potential, at least enough for me to give them 1-2 more years to develop.

frerottenextelway
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Clady, Royal, and Hillis will all be around for awhile. Doubt we'll see anything from the others - maybe Larsen or Torrain.

Still, 3 ''hits'' is a good draft.

Archer81
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
What the **** is with this board the last 2 days? Damn...

:Broncos:

montrose
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
All we can do is hope the Goodmans can draft defense better than 07.

I remember reading and hearing that Bates was very influential on those picks.

gyldenlove
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
There is no doubt that we absolutely creamed the 2008 draft. We got the best OT in Ryan Clady, we got the best WR in Eddie Royal. We also got the best FB/H-back in Peyton Hillis. In the 4th we picked up a solid OG/OC, we got an MLB in the 6th who can play and a huge S prospect in the 7th. To go with that we got 3 relative unknowns in Carlton Powell, JMFW and Ryan Torain.

JMFW is the only player who really had a shot at earning a starting position and didn't out of the entire draft stock. That is a VERY good result.

I would take this draft over any other realistic scenario.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
IMO

TOrrain , Larsen, Barret, And Jack Mofo all show potential, at least enough for me to give them 1-2 more years to develop.

Whoa boss, slow down there. Allowing a rookie to actually develop for a year or two before passing final judgment? That's just not how it's done on this board. There needs to be raw, illogical emotion tied up in these draft picks.

no-pseudo-fan
01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I am not saying that any one of the picks were bad. Again, if a team wins a game 35-0, it still probably had some things that went wrong. You always have to be critical, no one is going to be perfect. I bet you money, that the front office looks at the picks they made last year, what went into every choice, what turned out good, what turned out not so good, what they can do this year to repeat the successes and eliminate the negatives.

backup qb
01-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Whoa boss, slow down there. Allowing a rookie to actually develop for a year or two before passing final judgment? That's just not how it's done on this board. There needs to be raw, illogical emotion tied up in these draft picks.

:rofl: :rofl:

Dos Rios
01-14-2009, 01:27 PM
You have to throw in the undrafted FAs, where the team also killed it:

Wesley Woodyard (better CFA in the league?)
Tyler Polumbus (got rave reviews in TC - still part of long term plans)
Brett Kern (starter)
Anthony Alridge (any doubt he would have played at some point if healthy?)
Josh Bell (started season with Tenn?)
Cooked Crack (5 out of 6 ain't bad)

BroncoMan4ever
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
mother****er and Torain are the weak points in our draft and we should have looked elsewhere on both picks.

Powell would have been a great pickup for us had he not ended up on the PUP list, Lichtensteiger was good for us in goal line situations and should be our C of the future.
and the other 5 started for us at some point in the season 2 the entire season.

elsid13
01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
mother****er and Torain are the weak points in our draft and we should have looked elsewhere on both picks.

Powell would have been a great pickup for us had he not ended up on the PUP list, Lichtensteiger was good for us in goal line situations and should be our C of the future.

How do you know that? It takes time for good corner to develop in the league. William was 4th round pick mean he has talent to play in NFL, but need better techinque and experience. In 4th round and later you want solid back-ups to play special teams and hopefully to developed in starter in near future (by year 3). One season doesn't mean that he isn't the answer at the nickle for the future.

Killericon
01-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I STILL think we should've nabbed Dan Connor.

ANIMAL24
01-14-2009, 04:37 PM
<TABLE class="wikitable sortable sortable" id=sortable_table_id_6 style="WIDTH: 100%" border=1><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d9e9f9"><TH>249</TH><TD>Washington Redskins</TD><TD>Chris Horton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Horton)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

fdf
01-14-2009, 04:55 PM
. .. the other 5 started for us at some point in the season 2 the entire season.

Yes. But six of the five started at running back :)

Eldorado
01-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Just as a cautionary tale, people were calling Ryan Harris a bust at the end of his rookie season.

BroncoMan4ever
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
How do you know that? It takes time for good corner to develop in the league. William was 4th round pick mean he has talent to play in NFL, but need better techinque and experience. In 4th round and later you want solid back-ups to play special teams and hopefully to developed in starter in near future (by year 3). One season doesn't mean that he isn't the answer at the nickle for the future.

I give you Josh Bell. undrafted, bounced out of Tennessee and SD and outplayed Williams all year.

Right now i wouldn't care if we dumped the mother****er and kept Bell

BroncoMan4ever
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Just as a cautionary tale, people were calling Ryan Harris a bust at the end of his rookie season.

people weren't calling him a bust, we just thought we reached with where we drafted him. also he was an elite T in college. Torain was a injury prone guy who showed flashes of being good, and more than likely would have been available as an undrafted FA.

that is one reason i am glad Shanahan is gone. no more wasted draft picks on these injured college players who may or may not become good if they can get past the injury.

broncosteven
01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I was thinking that the draft is coming in a few months and with the season over, that maybe taking a look at our past draft class. I know that we had 2 huge impact players in Clady and Royal, but do you think that we could've picked wiser in retrospect? I wouldn't trade Clady,Royal, or Hillis for anyone that went below them, but what about the others?

1(12) Clady

2(42) Royal

4(108) Kory Lichtensteiger

4(119) Jack Williams

5(139) Ryan Torain

5(148) Carlton Powell

6(183) Spencer Larsen

7(220) Josh Barrett

7(227) Peyton Hillis

Think about it? Would you have rather had Tashard Choice and/or Quintin Demps in the 4th instead? Maybe a Brandon Carr and/or Frank Okam in the 5th?

We ended up with a great draft class, but could it have been better, is the jury still out on some of these players?

I knew I should have not gotten Married, moved to Hollywood and dated Nicole Kidman! I am sure she would have been there for me in the 1st round if I gave it a shot!

Eldorado
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
people weren't calling him a bust, we just thought we reached with where we drafted him. also he was an elite T in college. Torain was a injury prone guy who showed flashes of being good, and more than likely would have been available as an undrafted FA.

that is one reason i am glad Shanahan is gone. no more wasted draft picks on these injured college players who may or may not become good if they can get past the injury.

Bull****. People were bitching about his back and how 'injury prone' he was. Like I said, cautionary tale. You want to talk draft, talk 05 or 06. Its even too early for 07.

Florida_Bronco
01-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Yes, people were calling him a bust, BPC especially. I'm sure he'll even tell you himself since he's got the stones to admit when he is wrong.

I'm 100% happy with our 2008 draft. Yeah you can say that maybe we could have drafted a better player at some spots, but everyone of them contributed outside of Powell, who I think will be a good player in time.

eddie mac
01-14-2009, 07:02 PM
At this point you'd be better assessing who we should've taken rather than Moss or Crowder in 07. Both players have had 2 seasons to date and have shown very little if anything at all. With the changes forthcoming on defense and McD's analysis of the personnel on both sides of the ball they may not get a 3rd year to be further evaluated.