PDA

View Full Version : Mock draft suggestions

gyldenlove
01-14-2009, 11:45 AM
I am the GM for the Broncos in a mock. In the 1st round my targets are as follows:

1. Aaron Curry (will probably be gone)
2. Rey (I am thinking a 50-50 shot)
3. Raji (A small reach but he is the only good NT)
4. BPA but not OT or QB.

In the 2nd round I am looking at a S if there is a good one, and LB or RB if there isn't with CB and DL being the fallbacks. I am thinking Will Moore, Patrick Chung, Rashad Johnson, or if there is a highly ranked LB like Cushing or Spikes, or maybe a Shonn Green.

I am not going to make a trade in the 1st unless Rey and Curry are gone and I can fall back a few places and still get Raji. In the 2nd I might move up a bit for Moore, and I would be open to falling back about 5-10 spots and pick up another 3rd.

I really would like some info, especially with help in the 2nd and later rounds and I have not really had much chance to get into serious scouting yet.

lex
01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
I am the GM for the Broncos in a mock. In the 1st round my targets are as follows:

1. Aaron Curry (will probably be gone)
2. Rey (I am thinking a 50-50 shot)
3. Raji (A small reach but he is the only good NT)
4. BPA but not OT or QB.

In the 2nd round I am looking at a S if there is a good one, and LB or RB if there isn't with CB and DL being the fallbacks. I am thinking Will Moore, Patrick Chung, Rashad Johnson, or if there is a highly ranked LB like Cushing or Spikes, or maybe a Shonn Green.

I am not going to make a trade in the 1st unless Rey and Curry are gone and I can fall back a few places and still get Raji. In the 2nd I might move up a bit for Moore, and I would be open to falling back about 5-10 spots and pick up another 3rd.

I really would like some info, especially with help in the 2nd and later rounds and I have not really had much chance to get into serious scouting yet.

Everette Brown is another player to consider in Rd 1.

Are you drafting for the 3-4? If so, you need a NT if you dont take Raji. His teammate gets less push but can be a good anchor and might be less of a risk in the 2nd. He should be there in the 2nd but wont likely be there in the 3rd according to what I see. Its a little easier to get FAs at LB and DB than DL. So you may want to take that approach along with building your defense from frong to back. You could also go after a center here if Mack is there.

In the 3rd, you should have some safety that falls or you could have maybe an OLB like Cody Brown. Another C to keep in mind is Jonathan Luigs.

The 4th might be a good place to take Zack Follett. He's smart, tough, and productive...basically everything the cadre said they wanted. He has only played OLB in the 3-4 one year and was really productive in it. You might be able to get him in the 5th but he's a solid player in the 4th. You could also get someone like Derek Walker or Alex McGee in the 4th to play DE. Then you also have either David Bruton who is a smart CF type S or Courtney Greene as an in the box S. Id try to take Greene in the 5th though. But then again, S is a relatively cheap and easy to find FA pickup.

lex
01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Here, I did one with some alternate scenarios to give you some ideas:

1 Everette Brown OLB FSU
2 Ron Brace NT Boston College
3 Jonathan Luigs C Arkansas
4 Zack Follett OLB Cal
5 Alex McGee DE Purdue
5 Courtney Greene SS Rutgers
5 Jasper Brinkley ILB S. Carolin
6 Terrence Taylor NT Michigan
7 Marcus Thigpen KR Indiana

1 B.J. Raji NT Boston College
2 Louis Delmas SS W. Michigan
4 Zack Follett OLB Cal
5 Alex McGee DE Purdue
5 Arthur Jones DE Syracuse
5 Jasper Brinkley ILB S. Carolin
6 Davon Drew TE E. Carolina

1 Rey Maualuga ILB USC
3 Sean Smith S Utah
4 Zack Follett OLB Cal
5 Terrence Taylor NT Michigan
6 Cornelius Ingram TE Florida

1 Beanie Wells RB Ohio State
4 Zack Follett OLB Cal
5 Pat White WR W. Virginia
6 Davon Drew TE E.Carolina

gyldenlove
01-17-2009, 07:46 AM
There was a massive run on DE/OLB before we drafted so Brown, Maybin, Michael Johnson were all gone. We ended up deciding between Maualuga, Raji and the 2 runningbacks. I ended up going with Maualuga for the simple reason that no matter if we play 3-4 or 4-3 we need a MLB and he had better value than Raji, in the 1st round value is so important.

*Famous*
01-17-2009, 09:03 AM
This would make me very happy!

1 Rey Maualuga ILB USC
3 Sean Smith S Utah
4 Zack Follett OLB Cal
6 Cornelius Ingram TE Florida

gyldenlove
01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I am eyeballing Tyson Jackson for the 2nd round, with backups being Larry English, Shonn Greene, Clint Sintim, Rashad Johnson, Louis Delmas and Clay Matthews.

I am hoping to trade into the bottom of round 2 as well for Ron Brace.

SoDak Bronco
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
tobad moss and/or crowder haven't shown they are going to be studs(jury still out) or else we wouldn't have to worry about DE...

bpc
01-18-2009, 12:45 PM
1. Trade back.
2. Aaron Curry (He'll be gone)
3. Everette Brown (most likely, he'll be gone)
4. Jeremy Maclin (I think the Raiders take him)
5. Brian Cushing
6. Rey
7. Aaron Maybin (haven't watched him a lot, can't rank him higher)
8. Malcom Jenkins

elsid13
01-18-2009, 01:47 PM
1. Trade back.
5. Brian Cushing
6. Rey
8. Malcom Jenkins

Brett Musburger stated in the Rose Bowl, Maybin isn't strong enough for the next level yet. I am sure that some team will take him, but he worries me that he hasn't the physical strength to take on Pro linemen.

driver
01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
LEX raised a good point about 3-4 or 4-3, I doubt we"ll even know until after the the second day it's an advantage for us in the draft! Who we might or might not take?

TheReverend
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
1. Trade back.
5. Brian Cushing
6. Rey
8. Malcom Jenkins

You really like Cushing that much?

SoDak Bronco
01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
wasn't harrison undrafted for pitt?? guy is like a solid bowling ball

gyldenlove
01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
wasn't harrison undrafted for pitt?? guy is like a solid bowling ball

Yup, he was undrafted, was cut, signed by Ravens, cut and resigned by Pittsburg as I remember.

gyldenlove
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I traded down in the 2nd, to the 56 th pick and converted my 4th rounder to a 3rd rounder in the process.

I picked up Ron Brace in the 2nd round, so the draft now stands:

12. Rey Maualuga
56. Ron Brace

I am looking at getting a S or CB as well as a RB in the 3rd round, there is some good value left at all 3 positions.

Malcontent
01-21-2009, 03:48 PM

I think Cushing is as good as Rey...saw every SC game, and the guy just makes plays, and is always around the ball.

goldengopher1976
01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I think Cushing is as good as Rey...saw every SC game, and the guy just makes plays, and is always around the ball.

Cushing always reminded me a little bit of Romanowski. I guess it could partly just be because he's white, but they are close to the same size, and I always felt like Cushing played with a good balance of headiness and passion. I would gladly add him to our team.

gyldenlove
01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
So far I have:

1. Rey Maualuga
2. Ron Brace
3a. Derek Pegues
3b. Jarron Gilbert

If the mock had started after the senior bowl, I would have gone:

1. BJ Raji
2. Sean Smith
3. Donald Brown
4. Scott Mckillop

lex
01-30-2009, 10:58 AM
So far I have:

1. Rey Maualuga
2. Ron Brace
3a. Derek Pegues
3b. Jarron Gilbert

If the mock had started after the senior bowl, I would have gone:

1. BJ Raji
2. Sean Smith
3. Donald Brown
4. Scott Mckillop

When is your next pick? Is it in the 4th? If so, Id take one of the centers:Mack, Luigs, Wood, Caldwell, Unger.

gyldenlove
01-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I converted my 4th to a 3rd to get Gilbert, my next is the Seahawks pick in the early 5th.

Luigs, Caldwell, Wood, Mack and Unger are all gone at the beginning of the 4th.

elsid13
01-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I converted my 4th to a 3rd to get Gilbert, my next is the Seahawks pick in the early 5th.

Luigs, Caldwell, Wood, Mack and Unger are all gone at the beginning of the 4th.

Go with Guard like Kraig Urbik if he out there.

gyldenlove
01-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Go with Guard like Kraig Urbik if he out there.

Gone too, I will go RB or interior OL

lex
01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Gone too, I will go RB or interior OL

At this point Id forget the running back and OL then.

bpc
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM

I don't really like Rey. I think he has too many holes in his game and we can't afford another 1st round bust. There is a definite bust factor with Maualuga.