PDA

View Full Version : Describe your Broncos family history

Chris
01-14-2009, 11:45 AM
I've always been curious about other people's relationship with the Broncos. For me it started in 97 at age 11...though I have faint memories of watching Elway in the late 80s as a toddler... I think I thought he was a superbowl trying to win the quarterback.

My family history:

Grandpa (native of Aurora, CO) born 1920 - Broncos fan and season ticket holder since day 1, 1960. We sold the tickets in the early 80s after my dad moved away.

Dad (native of Aurora, CO) born 1948 - Broncos fan since birth. He brought me on to the team and forced me to watch the superbowls in the 80s as a toddler.

Me (native of Hong Kong, China) born 1984 - Broncos fan since 1997, age 12. I woke up to watch the AFC Championship game with dad at 3 am our time and the rest is history. Die hard fan ever since. I used to wake up in the middle of the night to listen to the game on the radio for a bit before school on Monday mornings.

Anaximines
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm an Okie through and through but my dad lived in Denver for some time after he graduated college and has always been a big Broncos fan. It just rubbed off on me eventually (though I did rebel for a few years when I was young... but it caught on in full around '97).

While he was in Denver he worked as an usher at the stadium for a year or two and was a morning radio news guy. Then for a few seasons he got involved in sports reporting and gave interviews to players and everything. Pretty cool, dad!

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I was born and raised in colo but the luv affair really started in 1976 when I was 7 years old. we moved from the springs to lakewood and denver was on fire with the success of the Broncos... orange snow, orange xmass trees, orange crush, orange everything!

As for my family, I'm a 3rd gen Coloradoan and there is no other NFL teams that come close to the Broncos...

Florida_Bronco
01-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Born and raised in Omaha, NE. My cousin was a casual Broncos fan and when I was very small I decided I liked their uniforms so I became a fan. As time went on I started to recognize the greatness that was John Elway, Steve Atwater, Shannon Sharpe and a couple years later, Terrell Davis.

My dad was a Chiefs fan, so besides my cousin, my younger brother and I are the only family ties to the Broncos.

Ambiguous
01-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I moved to Littleton in 1993 when I was 12, I wasn't really into football yet. I made friends pretty quickly and they were all obviously Broncos fans, we bonded.

My parents are Bears fans. :) Me and my sister are the only Broncos fans.

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
It started for me when I found out a Denver Bronco was my neighbor at the rip old age of 10. He got me an autoigraphed football with whole team signing it yes it had Floyd Little on it. Mike was a real nice guy. Then my gym teacher was a Chief for a few years as well. He was so cool I could overlook that part. So I have loved the Broncos since early 70's.

Archer81
01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
My grandfather was a Broncos fan since day 1, would listen to them on the radio. My mom is from Brush, CO and grew up listening and watching them. She married a man from CT, who is a Marine, so we were never in Colorado that often, but my brothers and I were Broncos fans from the late 1980's on.

:Broncos:

Los Broncos
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Started for me here in California.

My grandfather raised me and he was a Rams fan.

Around 85-86 he tells me to watch John Elway, he was a player he really liked at Stanford.

So from that point its been Broncos and always will be.

Kaylore
01-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I was born here in '80. My earliest memories are of John Elway being awesome. The rest is history.

socalorado
01-14-2009, 12:27 PM
My dad was born in CA. and was a part time coach as a hobby and avid football fan. Always was a Rams fan. Followed Elway at Granada Hills High, and took me to games. Then followed him at Stanford. Once he became a Bronco, my dad became a Bronco fan, and i as a 12 year old, naturally followed.

Just think, we could be Colts or Ravens fans right now!

no-pseudo-fan
01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
My Great Grandmother was working in Juarez, Mexico as a............

Wait what is the question again?

Steve Prefontaine
01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
I was born and raised near Allentown, PA. I have a brother that is quite a bit older (about 15 years older). He was really into football and was home from college one Sunday in 1983. I had NEVER watched a football game in my life but my brother was watching so I watched with him. I remember we watched the Eagles at 1pm and then the Broncos were playing the Chargers at 4pm.

I obviously didnít know it at the time, but in my brotherís opinion the Broncos were a joke. But thatís not what he told me. He said the Broncos were the best team in the NFL and that Elway (a rookie) was the QB ever. Not that I knew what a QB was, but being a fan of the best team sounded good to me. I donít remember the final score but the Broncos got smoked in that game. I was like WTF but my brother said it was a fluke.

Anyway, Iíve been a die hard Bronco fan ever since. Until a few years ago, my brother had no clue why I liked the Broncos. When I reminded him about that day, he died laughing.

Dagmar
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Moved to the US, Fort Collins in December, watched Indy blow us apart in the playoffs, 1st NFL game. Then went to an opening game party when Quentin ran all over the Chiefs (at a Chiefs fans house)and since then I have been hooked.

baja
01-14-2009, 12:30 PM
I finished my time at UTEP in 1972 and moved to Colorado Springs to work with an Army buddy of mine. I arrived as a Cowboy fan but as I watched more and more Bronco games I learned to admire the determination of the players and how they played hard even when they knew they were over matched. I grew to love the D and I just became more and more appreciative of the style of football the Broncos were playing than the pure business approach that Tom Landry had in Dallas. I just identified more with the Broncos. Funny thing is it is only after the firing of Shanahan did I realize how much the Broncos had become more like a Landry team than the Broncos I really identified with. I am really looking forward to the Broncos of tomorrow now. Most exciting off season in a long time.

Dagmar
01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
On a side note, what do the wives think of the Broncos and football in general? I have to say, my proudest achievement, this season during the playoffs my wife has become hooked on football. She's normally banished somewhere else during the Broncos games. I may have a fan to watch with next year!

baja
01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
My Great Grandmother was working in Juarez, Mexico as a............

Wait what is the question again?

I saw her too...

Dagmar
01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I finished my time at UTEP in 1972 and moved to Colorado Springs to work with an Army buddy of mine. I arrived as a Cowboy fan

http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/spaz.gif

Nice turnaround though! :thumbsup: :thumbs: :thumbsup: :thumbs:

Hotrod
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I saw her too...

LOL Holy **** that was funny

Dagmar
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I actually almost became a Buccs fan, as when I knew I was moving here I stayed up late (11pm kick off) and got drunk and watched the SB with the Buccs and Faiders. I cheered for the Buccs and had a great time. But it's been the Broncos since.

Jason in LA
01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Born and raised in LA. I had no link to the Broncos when I became a fan in 1987 when I was 10. No family members or friends were fans of the team. I didn't know any other Broncos fans when I was growing up, which was kind of cool. I had my very own team. I have a nephew who is 10 years younger than me who became a fan at a young age. It is rare that I come across other Broncos fans. I usually see other fans at Broncos games. That's about it.

gunns
01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Just me in my family. My parents were both huges football fans so I watched football since I can remember. In 1970 the Broncos played a preseason game here in SLC against the Boston Patriots. My mom got us tickets and I fell absolutely in love with Floyd Little and the Broncos. Have been a fan ever since. Highlight was attending SB XXXII and watching a life dream come true.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Moved to Denver as a 7-year old in 1977. Immediately got on the bandwagon. Used to eat at Lyle Alzado's restuarant, interviewed Larry Canada for elementary school paper, broke Randy Gradishar's car window (wife at time was teacher at our school, threw some rocks -- it was an accident -- he was very cool about it).

Moved back East in '80. Proudly sported colors ever since while taking sh!!T from Giants and Redskins fans. Paid $2Gs for seat at Super Bowl win over Packers.

Traveler
01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Born and raised in Denver. Really got hooked on Denver in the early 70's. Favorite player was Charley Johnson.

Popps
01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
You locals are lucky as hell.

I grew up in St. Louis and my family was mostly Cardinals fans, but the organization was a joke. But, I followed the team as any kid in my hood did. I remember sitting out in near zero-degree weather to watch that team get its ass kicked. We had a few highlights with Jim Hart, Mel Gray and Terry Metcalf, but Bidwell refused to put any resources into the team and they were always just pretenders.

So, being a kid, I had no shame in jumping on the Orange Crush bandwagon in 77. Every kid I grew up around had a "second favorite team," because the Big Red was such a joke. I watched Denver play through the playoffs that year and got my first heart-break in the SB. I also learned to hate Dallas early on. All my friends were Pittsburgh fans by then (2nd favorite team!)... so they hated Dallas, too.

But, I loved the style of football we played back then. What a defense. Fell in love with the team and never looked back.

By the early 80s there were already rumors of the St. Louis Cardinals (wow) leaving... and the city began to lose interest. By the time we drafted Elway, I was pretty much done with the Cards and a Broncos die-hard. I then suffered through the SB blow-outs and the good/bad times that came with those years.

Anyone who was a fan through the 70s/80s who tells you they didn't tear up (or cry like a baby) when we finally won it all is lying. What a ride. People forget that there was a long time that Elway and the Broncos organization in general was unequivocally associated with choking. What bull****, and the real truth finally game out... that we were a top-flight franchise with the best fans in the league, who simply took a little longer than they should have to close the final deal.

Not the most traditional route to being a fan, but here I am.

Pick Six
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm a "first generation" Broncos fan in my family. I've shared the story before, but I can repeat it. I was born and raised in Wichita, KS. When I first got into football, games were mostly found on the radio. I couldn't get a signal from Kansas City, but I COULD get KOA. I began to listen to Broncos games in the early 80s. Some dude named John Elway made sure that I was a Broncos fan for life...:thumbs:

Steve Prefontaine
01-14-2009, 12:59 PM
On a side note, what do the wives think of the Broncos and football in general? I have to say, my proudest achievement, this season during the playoffs my wife has become hooked on football. She's normally banished somewhere else during the Broncos games. I may have a fan to watch with next year!

My girlfriend (now wife) was not into football when we met but I converted her to a Broncos fan. She watches all the games with me wearing her Champ jersey (which I bought her as a little romantic gift last year). She is even starting to share my hatred for Phillip Rivers.

Itís awesome.

theAPAOps5
01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I was born in Colorado Springs. Went to school there until 5th grade when my mom remarried an Army Pilot.

Grandpa & Grandma: Die Hard fans would come to my house to watch games when they started being on ESPN.

My Dad: Took me to Elways first start. He is a Raiders fan. I don't talk to him much.

My Stepdad: Baltimore Colts fan so Indy by default.

So its really me and my grandparents. But my daughter gave me the best give a while back. She is 7 months old and I have Broncos gear for her. When Denver scores I make her do the TD signal and say yeah good guys. she always laughs. My dad happened to be there and the Raiders scored. He said held her hands up and said yeah good guys. She started screaming and bawling. I was so proud!

Hotrod
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Was born and raised a Bronco fan. Married a Chiefs fan. Obviously I'm now single :)

TailgateNut
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Grandfather took me to my first game in 68, hooked ever since.

Pick Six
01-14-2009, 01:04 PM

For some reason, my wife loves to go to games live, as opposed to watching them on TV. I have to go to a sports bar to watch the Broncos on TV, but she was with me in Denver on Orangemane Weekend...

dbfan4life
01-14-2009, 01:07 PM
My family Broncos history:

Dad - he liked anyone who beat the Cowboys

Older brother - die hard Raider fan

Younger brother - die hard Cheifs fan.

In fact, the only family I have that are Broncos fans are two cousins. It's hard for me to remember when I became a fan but I think it has to do with some guy wearing a #7 on his jersey. :thumbs:

dbfan21
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Born and raides in West Palm Beach, FL (1975) and am a first-generation Broncos fan. I got sick of the Dolphins and their fans (mostly other kids at school...two of them I remember vividly, Pat Moore and David Ostendarp...we used to call him ostrich-fart to tease him...wait a second, I'm way off track here).

Anyway, I was watching the Broncos in 1985 and Elway helped win a game for Denver (naturally). The game was exciting enough for me to decide it was time to lay claim as a member of BroncoNation. The rest is history...

On a side-note, I have a 4-year old son that is my little Bronco apprentice. He will soon learn the ways of the force, like his father before him. :thumbs:

Meck77
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
My old man moved to Colorado in 60's.
Born @ Mercy Hospital Denver 1974
Got caught in the Broncomania as early as I could remember.
Was always intrigued by the orange and blue and the Broncofanmobiles
Built one 2004
Will be ready to roll again Fall 2009 :thumbs:

Pick Six
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
My old man moved to Colorado in 60's.
Born @ Mercy Hospital Denver 1974
Got caught in the Broncomania as early as I could remember.
Was always intrigued by the orange and blue and the Broncofanmobiles
Built one 2004
Will be ready to roll again Fall 2009 :thumbs:

OUTSTANDING!!!!:notworthy

Taco John
01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I was born and raised in Southern Idaho, where the Denver Broncos are on TV practically every week. My dad was a Broncos fan, and I'd climb on him and wrestle while he would watch the Broncos when I was a tot. Eventually, I started to watch the game and get excited over touchdowns. The Idaho State Police department would have summer exhibitions where they'd play basketball against the Denver Broncos. Of course, it was always rookies, scrubs, and linemen, but I was amazed. Afterwards, the players would sign autographs. It was so cool.

I'd watch with my Dad, but the first game that I can really remember was a life changer. It was a game against San Diego in 1984. The Broncos were just about to lose the game to a San Diego field goal. Amazingly, we blocked the kick and recovered it, running the distance of the field for a touchdown. But calamity! Our defense called time out just before the ball was kicked, and San Diego got another shot at it. Game over - except that THE SAME THING HAPPENED - we blocked it, and picked it up and ran it all the way for a touchdown. It's been an addiction ever since.

broncocalijohn
01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Moved back East in '80. Proudly sported colors ever since while taking sh!!T from Giants and Redskins fans. Paid $2Gs for seat at Super Bowl win over Packers.

You must be the same age as I saw you were 7 in 1977. That is the age and year it started for me. Dad and our family is from California but he grew up in Fort Collins and his family is still there. Going out there every summer got me hooked on the team at the perfect time. Worst feelings were losing those SuperBowls but best was sneaking into Super Bowl 32 for $300 (paid a college student for the program vendor uniform). Never had many people in the area as Broncos fans and finally saw a few when I went to Newport Beach in 86 where the Broncos were staying for the SB versus the Giants. One of my great highlights of being a fan as I met Tom Jackson, Elway, Bishop and I believe Chavous was still around. My kids are now growing up as Broncos fans and wife roots for them when we go to Denver and it isnt her Packers that are the Broncos opponent. My Dad thinks I am a little nutty on how a little rub off has gone this far. BTW: First Broncos hero was Craig Morton and got to meet him at the ESPN Classic roundtable at some restuarant in Union Square during the last weekend of the Broncos old Mile High.

Chris
01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
That is ridiculous Taco.. suprised I've never heard about that game

Taco John
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
That is ridiculous Taco.. suprised I've never heard about that game

Here it is... 1985. This was one hell of a wild game. My first "Mile High Magic" memory.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198511170den.htm

I've got it sitting around somewhere on VHS. Atlas hooked me up a few years ago.

baja
01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I was born and raised in Southern Idaho, where the Denver Broncos are on TV practically every week. My dad was a Broncos fan, and I'd climb on him and wrestle while he would watch the Broncos when I was a tot. Eventually, I started to watch the game and get excited over touchdowns. The Idaho State Police department would have summer exhibitions where they'd play basketball against the Denver Broncos. Of course, it was always rookies, scrubs, and linemen, but I was amazed. Afterwards, the players would sign autographs. It was so cool.

I'd watch with my Dad, but the first game that I can really remember was a life changer. It was a game against San Diego in 1984. The Broncos were just about to lose the game to a San Diego field goal. Amazingly, we blocked the kick and recovered it, running the distance of the field for a touchdown. But calamity! Our defense called time out just before the ball was kicked, and San Diego got another shot at it. Game over - except that THE SAME THING HAPPENED - we blocked it, and picked it up and ran it all the way for a touchdown. It's been an addiction ever since.

Dennis Smith if I remember correctly.

Taco John
01-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Dennis Smith if I remember correctly.

Louis Wright...

TonyR
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
I was born in Denver and raised in the Littleton/Columbine area. My parents had season tickets at Mile High, I got to go about once a year. My dad took a job on the east coast in the mid 80's when I was finishing 9th grade, my sister stayed in CO and went to CSU. I've been out here ever since, my parents are back in CO in the Brighton area.

Taco John
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Hahaha... What a memory. I can remember it like it just happened this morning. IT was the go ahead winning field goal at the end of the game. My dad was disgusted, and decided that he couldn't watch it, and left the room. I couldn't peel myself away. I was cheering "Block! That! Kick!" and crossing my fingers, sqirming around - doing all the stuff a kid does when he's nervous. When I saw that kick blocked, I went nuts yelling "Dad! Dad! They blocked it! Come quick!" He got back to the TV just in time to see that they were calling it back because of the time out. My Dad groaned in a very familiar way. I was crushed. But I didn't give up hope. "They can do it agian" I thought, a naive little kid who believes that anything can happen... And anything did.

You want to talk about bringing tears to your eye. I get a little wet just remembering the joy I felt watching that. I knew then and there that I'd be a Broncos fan forever.

Rock Chalk
01-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Born in Kansas, as was the rest of my family dating back prior to Bleeding Kansas. Everyone is a Jayhawker and 90% of the family became Bronco fans while a small minority became Chief fans.

Dad moved us out here in 1979, lived in Thornton for about 8 years, 2 years in Arvada before moving to California.

I hated the Broncos initially, mostly because my dad loved them and I resented pops due to the divorce and such. But, like Taco John, my first love affair with the Broncos began in 1984 against San Diego and Louis Wrights infamous return block of a field goal for a touchdown. A game which featured 3 blocked field goals, 2 back to back at the end of the game after an timeouty gave San Diego another shot. I'll never forget that game as Louis Wright became my first favorite Bronco and is still among my top 5 all time favorite Broncos.

I never did like the Orange uniforms though. I considered them embarrassing as real men didn't wear orange. Im still not a fan but my dislike of them has faded a bit over time. Id prefer we kept the Royal blue instead of switching to Navy. And the old big D helmet is ****ing awesome (I do like the new one, but not as much as the old one).

Anyway, that is my story.

baja
01-14-2009, 02:37 PM

I do remember that game but the details are sketchy . Maybe it was Smith that ran it back the first time.

Another impossible game that did not turn out for us was we were playing the Cowboys and we were up by 2 touchdowns I think and it was late in the 4th quarter. I was in a bar in Glenwood Springs and some drunk Texan mouthed off that he's bet anyone in the bar $200 that the Cowboys were going to win the game. Well you know my propensity to bet I was all over that. Damn if the Cowboys didn't come back and beat the Broncos that and i had to hand over the 2 hundred to that drunk pig....

Rock Chalk
01-14-2009, 02:39 PM
I do remember that game but the details are sketchy . Maybe it was Smith that ran it back the first time.

Another impossible game that did not turn out for us was we were playing the Cowboys and we were up by 2 touchdowns I think and it was late in the 4th quarter. I was in a bar in Glenwood Springs and some drunk Texan mouthed off that he's bet anyone in the bar $200 that the Cowboys were going to win the game. Well you know my propensity to bet I was all over that. Damn if the Cowboys didn't come back and beat the Broncos that and i had to hand over the 2 hundred to that drunk pig....

No, Smith didnt run it back the first time, there was no run back on the first block.

baja
01-14-2009, 02:40 PM
No, Smith didnt run it back the first time, there was no run back on the first block.

damn pot....

broncosteven
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
My dad was transfered to Denver in '72 ish. I got hooked on Floyd Little, he was the team back then.

Lots of great Floyd memories.

We moved to Michigan in '76 but I could not root for another team. The SB run in 77 was tough because I only got to see about 4 games that year including the playoffs. I got nearly every freaking Pitt or Browns game AFC wise though, which stoked my hate for Pitt.

I have been faithful, through about 8 moves and settling down here in Chi-town for about 30 years.

Dempsey Dog
01-14-2009, 02:54 PM
My family have been in CO for 7 generations. My great (x4) grandfather was one of the founders of Telluride. My dad was a Colts fan until Denver got a team in 1960. I have always been a fan because of him.

In 1977 when the team made their 1st Super Bowl, my mom painted our front door orange. It was really ugly on a chocolate brown house, but it was cool.

In 1982 we moved to Barranquilla, Colombia. We did not have TV. I used to sit with my dad and 2 brothers and we would listen to the games on Armed Forces Radio on the short wave.

In 1986 I went to boarding school back in Durango and the rest is history.

dumpy
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Hahaha... What a memory. I can remember it like it just happened this morning. IT was the go ahead winning field goal at the end of the game. My dad was disgusted, and decided that he couldn't watch it, and left the room. I couldn't peel myself away. I was cheering "Block! That! Kick!" and crossing my fingers, sqirming around - doing all the stuff a kid does when he's nervous. When I saw that kick blocked, I went nuts yelling "Dad! Dad! They blocked it! Come quick!" He got back to the TV just in time to see that they were calling it back because of the time out. My Dad groaned in a very familiar way. I was crushed. But I didn't give up hope. "They can do it agian" I thought, a naive little kid who believes that anything can happen... And anything did.

You want to talk about bringing tears to your eye. I get a little wet just remembering the joy I felt watching that. I knew then and there that I'd be a Broncos fan forever.

The funniest thing about the play is after Wright scored he jumped on top of the chain link retainer fence to high five people in the crowd. He was horizontal on top of the fence with the fans pulling him in one direction while his teammates were trying to pull him back onto the field.

2KBack
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I grew up in a military family and a couple of the numerous residences I had growing up were in Colorado Springs. I wasn't much into football yet, I was a baseball kid. My family were Ohio natives so I had a lot of Cincinnati and Cleveland fans around me. Then I was dragged to a superbowl party when Denver was playing Washington, and the energy and effect that game had on the party was amazing. Even though 75% of that game was pretty bad, it was still addictive.

then a couple years later my school gave out free cookies to anyone in Denver gear the friday before superbowl XXIV, and I love cookies

cutler_to_marshall
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Im an Indian Immigrant first generation football fan in my family!

(my parents still express confusion over why these "gorrilas" keep hitting each other, dont they have better things to do ?)

Started my relationship with the broncos in the winter of 1999 MNF game against Jacksonville.

Broncomutt
01-14-2009, 03:04 PM
My entire family is from northern Virginia, but I was born in Aurora while my father was stationed there with the Marines.

My first 2 seasons of watching football were as a Redskin fan '82-'83, in which they won and lost a superbowl. Crazy times.

In 1983 my Uncle bought me a John Elway rookie card and for some reason I started pulling for the Broncos.

The 1986 AFCCG made me a believer forever I guess. Although at times it would be so much cheaper if i could quit them and root for the home team.

MechanicalBull
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Born and raised on Long Island for the past 27 yrs.

My dad is a super die hard Raider fan and my older brother now follows the Raiders but not me.

Can't pin point the exact time I started being a Bronco fan but I know whenever the Raiders were on tv my dad would always have some people over and it seemed like they were always playing Denver on MNF. So I'm guessing it was one of those games that I saw the magic and greatness of Elway and I was hooked.

Eventhough I loved how hard he could throw I was more impressed and amazed at his ability to escape from the pocket even when he couldn't see a defender coming after him.

dbfan21
01-14-2009, 03:16 PM

That's beautiful man. It's the very reason I fell in love with the Broncos. That old stadium was magical. I would love to watch that game, or at least some highlights from it. Long live Mile High Magic!

Dendave
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
My story is a little unique. I am from Detroit and when I was a young my mom used to buy me Denver Bronco PJ’s, shirts, hats, etc, anything she could get her hands on, because the logo was a D with a horse inside. My name is David, and I always got excited when I saw horses. So she just bought them, I didn’t know what the logo was, I just thought it was a horse in my initial…well in 1974 when I was 7 my dad took me to the Lions Thanksgiving day game…lo-and-behold the team the Lions were playing had that same logo on their helmets, they became my favorite team. I have been loyal ever since.

theAPAOps5
01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Born in Kansas, as was the rest of my family dating back prior to Bleeding Kansas. Everyone is a Jayhawker and 90% of the family became Bronco fans while a small minority became Chief fans.

Dad moved us out here in 1979, lived in Thornton for about 8 years, 2 years in Arvada before moving to California.

I hated the Broncos initially, mostly because my dad loved them and I resented pops due to the divorce and such. But, like Taco John, my first love affair with the Broncos began in 1984 against San Diego and Louis Wrights infamous return block of a field goal for a touchdown. A game which featured 3 blocked field goals, 2 back to back at the end of the game after an timeouty gave San Diego another shot. I'll never forget that game as Louis Wright became my first favorite Bronco and is still among my top 5 all time favorite Broncos.

I never did like the Orange uniforms though. I considered them embarrassing as real men didn't wear orange. Im still not a fan but my dislike of them has faded a bit over time. Id prefer we kept the Royal blue instead of switching to Navy. And the old big D helmet is ****ing awesome (I do like the new one, but not as much as the old one).

Anyway, that is my story.

You forgot to mention that you are Gay and are a fan of the Gayhawks.

baja
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
My story is a little unique. I am from Detroit and when I was a young my mom used to buy me Denver Bronco PJís, shirts, hats, etc, anything she could get her hands on, because the logo was a D with a horse inside. My name is David, and I always got excited when I saw horses. So she just bought them, I didnít know what the logo was, I just thought it was a horse in my initialÖwell in 1974 when I was 7 my dad took me to the Lions Thanksgiving day gameÖlo-and-behold the team the Lions were playing had that same logo on their helmets, they became my favorite team. I have been loyal ever since.

Interesting story

backup qb
01-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I spent a lot of time with my uncles when I was younger so I tended to emulate most of what they did. My oldest uncle started liking the broncos so I had to. I guess my love affair began in 1986. I was also 9 years old and just starting to get into sports. I saw the magic of Elway doing things I had never seen done before and I was hooked. The personality of the late 80's teams helped too with the Amigos and Bobby Humphrey hair, etc. I have bled orange and blue ever since. The beauty of it all is that my best friend is a die hard Browns fan.

BroncoLifer
01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Born and raised in Boulder. Been a Bronco fan since I was old enough to understand what football was --- the first season I remember clearly was '72 and Charley Johnson became my idol.

My undying-fan-for-life status was cemented by the Orange Crush and the magical year 1977. Man, what memories that brings back!!!!

Sassy
01-14-2009, 04:36 PM
My dad was kind of a Dallas Cowboy fan and in 1983 he was doing some business with some guys in Denver...every time he would talk to them on the phone they would ask if he saw the game...huge Bronco fans...so my dad decided he'd better at least watch them so he could talk to them about the game. The Denver Broncos were now on our tv on Sundays...and I started watching this QB from Stanford play...I've been hooked ever since...and my parents are now Bronco fans!

Denver Crush
01-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Born and raised in Denver....started out playing schoolyard football in 3rd grade...We drafted Elway and some of the kids were talking about it so I started watching. Had a 3 year hiatus when I joined the Navy....returned just in time for the 97 Superbowl run. My Aunt used to take me to the Bronco picture days they would hold at Mile High back in the 80's. Got to hang out Rulon, Dennis Smith, Mark Jackson, and the Vance. Good times!

go_broncos
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I am from India and started watching Football since 95.
i am fan of Elway and loved his play.
From that time..I am supporting Broncos.

baja
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
My mother left me in a basket on the service entrance of the old Mile High Stadium where I was found by the live in grounds keeper. I grew up in the boiler room until the age of 7 than he moved us to a cozy hut under the South Stands, there we spent the next 7 years watching Broncos football from our little nest amongst the SouthStands

broncosteven
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
I wonder what Oleg's journey into Bronconation was like?

Excape from Gulag, Lose toes and testicles to Frostbite. Fought a man for a turnip, loser got 2 tickets to SB XXVI. Fell in love with loveable losers and eating meals that were not made of roots or cow pies.

Bronco Bob
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally I couldn't stand football, hated it, despised it. Baseball was
my game, even played in little league. Then when I was in the Navy
around 1973 I started getting interested in the Broncos because I had
a buddy who was also from Colorado. I guess they were sort of a link
to home. Been a big fan of them every since. My parents used to
watch a lot of football when I was a kid, though. I assume they
were watching the Broncos. So when the Broncos went to the
Super Bowl, we were all sitting around yelling and cheering them on.

maher_tyler
01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
When i was 6-7 we'd always play football in the street with all the other kids in the neiborhood and my team was always the Broncos and the other team was always the 49ers...i've been a Broncos fan ever since...so i've been a fan since around 92' or 93'.

Memento
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Grew up in Lakewood. Parents and grand-parents were die-hard Bronco fans. Earliest memory was of Otis Armstrong muffing a kickoff (can't remember the opposing team), then making up for it by weaving and bobbing his way through the opposing defense while playing tailback.

Sold concessions at Mile High to raise money for some of the clubs and teams I was on... would be hocking "Ice Cold" Coke to rabid Broncos fans in the first half under sunny skies, and when it began to snow by the fourth quarter (duh) would still be shouting, "Get you Ice Cold, Freezing Cold Coke here!" to some really odd looks.

My career in sales was short-lived.

When I moved to L.A., would try to tune in KOA and listen to games after the sun set (and after Daylight savings change). Father would always send me clippings from Denver papers. I'm glad we have the internet to satisfy my fix).

titan
01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I grew up in Denver. My Dad took me to my first Bronco game on Thanksgiving Day 1963 - the Broncos were playing the Raiders at home (the only thanksgiving home game in team history I believe). I was age 7, the broncos lost, and I have hated the Raiders ever since.

My Dad took my brother and I to other games over the next few years. I remember seeing Joe Namath as a rookie in 1965. The old "Bears Stadium" used to have a hill on the southwest corner outside the stadium where you could see 3/4ths of the field. In 1966 and 67 my Dad use to drop us off and we'd watch the game for free outside the stadium, then they let us in with about 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

My true Bronco addiction really started in 1968 when as a 12 year old I bought Bronco season tickets with a friend. $2/game, $14 for the season! Lots of money for a kid, though (I only had $25 and I spent $14 on season tickets!)

Sat in the South Stands in 1968 and for many years after that. From the South Stands I saw many memorable games, including the 2 playoff wins in 1977 and all 3 AFC TItle games at Mile High. With the opening of the new stadium I switched to the northwest corner, 2nd deck. Favorite all time game was the AFC Championship win 20-17 vs Oakland in the magical 77 season. Terry Frei's book 77 does a great job of describing that season.

Don't go to as many games as I used to (about 5 home games a year) - I still have the season ticket rights I bought as a 12 year old (I bought out my friend in the 80's so I now have the rights to 2 seats)

Broncojef
01-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I grew up in Michigan back when there was no NFL ticket. I was forced to watch crappy Lions games and of course the Cowgirls being America's team was what everyone in my house cheered for. I was enamored by the orange crush movement and the crazy people in Denver, painting houses, bodies naked in snow storms in the soutstands it was always something I looked forward to watching whenever I could. The AFC Wild Wild West had high scoring offenses with Fouts, Stabler, Morton and just had fun games to watch. Rick Upchurch was the man and I fell in love with Denver as my team. I was always the black sheep in my family and had to cheer for my Broncos when they played and eventually lost to the Cowboys in 77. I took no end of grief for that and the SuperBowls to come. I joined the military and was eventually stationed out here...love the city, the team and eventually got out of the service to be close to my Broncos and the city I thought was just too cool growing up.

gunns
01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
(my parents still express confusion over why these "gorrilas" keep hitting each other, dont they have better things to do ?)

One of my first memories of watching football was watching the guys get down in their stance and wondering why they had to tie their shoes so many times. I was in the middle of learning how to so it seemed logical that's what they kept doing.

jsco70
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
My Dad was my primary influence to become a Broncos fan. In 1978 I was 8 years old and I remember he bought me the commerative Super Bowl 12 poster.

Game day arrived and we placed giant pillows all about the TV room in anticipation of jumping around for joy. Obviously, we sat pretty still for most of the day. The one play I vividly recall getting excited for was the fumble at the goal after a Broncos kickoff. Sadly, Dallas recovered. My Dad insists to this day Denver would have won had they recovered that fumble. Another play was a long Rick Upchurch kickoff return that I think was called back because of a penalty.

ak1971
01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I became a Broncos fan due to my love of Kaylore.

broncosteven
01-14-2009, 09:03 PM
I became a Broncos fan due to my love of Kaylore.

So you are the new misses Kahn!

jhat01
01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Was born and raised in Southern California. Grandparents on my dad's side were from Denver, he was born there too. He hammered it home pretty early who we were fans of. My brother and I have met every year for the past 13 (with the exception of two) SW Asia doesn't have an NFL team! At a different stadium to watch a bronco game. Married my wife in 1996 in April, she was a fan by September. We've got twin girls almost two,(came home in Plummer and Lynch jerseys) and a two month old boy (who came home in a cutler jersey) Sunday ticket is the best invention ever for us nomads

SoCalBronco
01-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Don't have a Broncos family. I wish I did. It would be nice to enjoy the team with someone else. They cannot understand why I take losses so hard. My father does not care for sports at all and never did. He does not like the fact that I devote as much attention to it as I do. My uncle and my cousin are really the only relatives that I have who like football. He's a Raiders fan and his son is a Lions fan and neither of them are really hard core, I would say.

spdirty
01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
I was born here in '80. My earliest memories are of John Elway being awesome. The rest is history.

yep, me too. born in 80, Elway awesome, history, yep. Cept I was born in Hudson. Not on the mane.

Clark
01-15-2009, 07:32 AM
I was aware of the Broncos when they were first formed and got hooked on them during my college days at CSU in 1967.

MileHighMagic
01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I was born in raised in Albuquerque but the Denver Broncos are the only team I have ever known and loved.

Dad went to law school and lived in Denver right before I was born and they moved to the 505. He liked them then so I obviously followed because I idolized the guy. Even though I was born in 1980, I still remember those SB losses. I had the full Elway jersey on... pads and all, crying my eyes out when they lost. I still can picture my uncles stupid 50 ft sign at the party that read: "Elway wears diapers!" That guy's still a d!ck!

My first game at Mile High was a playoff win vs NE in 86 with my dad and my uncles. I still have the program.

My mom and sister are still die hards, mostly because they have watched me act like an idiot over this team for so many years. Dad grew up a Pokes fan, converted to Broncos and now roots for the current best team out of CHI, TB, PITT. I force him to watch so many Broncos games I think he still is a closet fan but mostly because it is force fed. He did take my $200 on our win total bet on DEN/Pitt.

Peoples Champ
01-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Family grew up in Saint Louis, they liked Stl. Football Cardinals, but then when they moved to AZ, they boycotted them.

We moved to Denver in 1996, which was when the STL rams came to STL, and we never formed a liking with them.

Obviously a good time for a new fan to hop on Denver bandwagon, 1996, favors for superbowl in Orange Jerseys, but then lost to Jacksonville in first round.

Then next year we were hooked and cought the Bronco fever when we realized how many people in Denver really got into football and the broncos.

That year was the ultimate hook, the underdog story. 11 point underdog broncos go into the Superbowl and defeat the great Packers and Farve after going on the road and won in Kansas City and Pittsburgh in the playoffs. That is what hooked us, then been loyal ever since.

Even though thats not as long as most of you, its all I got, 1996. Its not my fault, I was 12, the perfect age to start a liking/ loyalty to a team. But we should be thankful of all fans, even the newer ones. The older ones (since 1970's 80's) should be respected and loved. The newer ones, 1990's and 2000's should be embraced and welcomed. Even the 2007/08 ones should be welcomed, because you cant say they are bandwagoners, these are tough years and they will get better. There have been tougher years in 70's and 80's, so we cant complain in the 2000's.

crawdad
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
You locals are lucky as hell.

I grew up in St. Louis and my family was mostly Cardinals fans, but the organization was a joke. ..

So, being a kid, I had no shame in jumping on the Orange Crush bandwagon in 77. Every kid I grew up around had a "second favorite team," because the Big Red was such a joke. I watched Denver play through the playoffs that year and got my first heart-break in the SB. I also learned to hate Dallas early on. .....

Bill Bidwell is still a joke Brian but I am proud of the Cardinals accomplishments this year...

El Guapo
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
The majority of my family are die-hard Cowboys fans. I was born and raised in Texas, but went to go visit my aunt and uncle in Denver every summer for a month. One summer my dad got the cockamamie idea to head to Broncos training camp. His goal was to talk to, and receive autographs, from former Cowboys who were now coaches/players on the Broncos team.

I sat through training camp that day with him at the age of 5. I was intrigued to say the least. At the end, I enjoyed watching my dad talk to some of the coaches like he had known them for years, and what was interesting was their responses to him when he mentioned he was a Cowboys fan. They were very receptive to say the least. Anyway, after most of the coaches and players had passed, there stood two lone men returning from doing some extra drills. Those two players, I later learned, were Vance Johnson and John Elway. My dad happened to catch Vance for an autograph, trailing him was Elway... who rustled my hair and asked me how I enjoyed practice. :o I responded a little, not really knowing who he was, and in the end he signed some items for me and told me to wait out back for him to come out. After he got done in the locker room he came out with an awesome 8x10 signed picture and then took a picture with me to prove he did it. I have that sucker framed in my room to this day.

THAT's how I became a die-hard Broncos fan. :strong:

:charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge:

crawdad
01-15-2009, 08:27 AM
It's funny how a majority of you have some connection to the military because the US Air Force brought me to Denver in 1969 and my first wife's parents neighbors (The Bennett's) in Aurora were die hard Broncos fans at the old Denver Bears Stadium.

I was back in IL when tickets to SB XXII went on sale and I missed my first op to see a Broncos. I lived and worked in Denver from 1969-79 and then moved back to IL

I have followed the Broncos ever since. I try to make it to at least two games every year!

Arkansas Bronco
01-15-2009, 08:36 AM
My family history started with me. I was 9 and every one around was a Cowboy fan so I wanted a team of my own. I picked the broncos in 85 and been with em since. When Atwater went their it really sealed the deal. Being stuck in the center of Arkansas I rarely got to see the broncos play often till playoffs so I was a stats guy. I would run out and grab a paper every week just to see the stats and how we did and read the short clip of a game review. I have been a true bronco fan for 23 years and never regretted it. My wife is now a fan and both my sons have jerseys and other bronco wear along with a bronco blanket. ;)

lifeafter elway
01-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Never thought so until reading this thread, but mine is a pretty typical story.

Dad was an Airforce Brat, Born in Aurora. After getting home from Vietman, he moved to Denver and became a broncos fan. Lived there through the orange crush, before moving to california.

Me being from LA, we where living in enemy territory, as this was clearly a raiders town. But at a young age, my dad explained to me that - while I could be a Raiders fan, he would disown me, and that I would have to move out of his house.

I immediately decided i wanted to be a broncos fan, and for the last 25 years - I have bleed orange and blue.

Dendave
01-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Interesting story

Needless to say I like the old logo...after 10 years of the new one, still trying to adapt.

DeusExManning
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
My dad has had season tickets all of my life. I went to every game John Elway played. It is a part of my DNA.

Dempsey Dog
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
A lot of give credit to our fathers. Pretty cool. Perhaps just one of the many little things dads do that does not get noticed until we get nastolgic.

Someday our kids will give us credit in this thread when it hit a million posts.

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2009, 11:31 AM
The majority of my family are die-hard Cowboys fans. I was born and raised in Texas, but went to go visit my aunt and uncle in Denver every summer for a month. One summer my dad got the cockamamie idea to head to Broncos training camp. His goal was to talk to, and receive autographs, from former Cowboys who were now coaches/players on the Broncos team.

I sat through training camp that day with him at the age of 5. I was intrigued to say the least. At the end, I enjoyed watching my dad talk to some of the coaches like he had known them for years, and what was interesting was their responses to him when he mentioned he was a Cowboys fan. They were very receptive to say the least. Anyway, after most of the coaches and players had passed, there stood two lone men returning from doing some extra drills. Those two players, I later learned, were Vance Johnson and John Elway. My dad happened to catch Vance for an autograph, trailing him was Elway... who rustled my hair and asked me how I enjoyed practice. :o I responded a little, not really knowing who he was, and in the end he signed some items for me and told me to wait out back for him to come out. After he got done in the locker room he came out with an awesome 8x10 signed picture and then took a picture with me to prove he did it. I have that sucker framed in my room to this day.

THAT's how I became a die-hard Broncos fan. :strong:

:charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge:

NICE!!!

Peoples Champ
01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I moved to Littleton in 1993 when I was 12, I wasn't really into football yet. I made friends pretty quickly and they were all obviously Broncos fans, we bonded.

My parents are Bears fans. :) Me and my sister are the only Broncos fans.

Thats cool, 12 is when I became a fan too.

And my mom's side of family are all bears fans too. Looks like our story is the same, except I moved to Highlands Ranch in 1996, so we are 3 years and about 5-20 miles off.

supermanhr9
01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Bronco fan since I was 10 when I moved to Denver. Before that it was the 49ers hard core. I lived and breathed Rice, Montana, Young, Walsh, taylor, you get the idea. When I moved to Denver things changed. I hooked up with buddies that were bronco fans, and I made a monmumental change in fan-ship and switched to the orange and blue! It's crazy to think Mike was the coach my entire Bronco Life being only 23 now. This is the first new head coach for me. My mom is a viking fan, and my dad is so-so on football, but roots for the broncos.

I owe friends and uncles a thank-you for shooting me in the right direction of a good franchise, I'd be so sad if I was still a 49ers fan!

From age

B-Love
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Prior to the start of the 1973 football season, no home games, FOR ANY TEAM, were shown on TV.

Does anyone else remember that? Even if your home market game was sold out, it was not seen on TV.

So here in New York, you would usually get a NY team on the road at 1PM, and then get a West Coast game at 4PM. So from 1970-1972 I saw alot of the Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs, 49ers, Rams, etc.

In 1971 in week 4 the Broncos hosted the Raiders, and it was televised here in New York. In 1971, Lou Saban had the Broncos wear their white jersies with orange pants at home for all 7 home games. On TV I thought it was the coolest uniform I had ever seen.

My Dad tried to talk me out of it, but I followed the Broncos from that day. On the final Sunday of the 1973 season, the Broncos played the Raiders in Oakland for the AFC West title. The Broncos lost 21-17, and lost the division by 4 points. I cried after they lost and was a fanatic from that day on.

CoBear23
01-15-2009, 12:41 PM
My mom and Dad are from the Mid-west but lived in Denver throughout the 70's. They moved to Evergreen when my Mom was 6 months pregnant with me, around Feburary '84.

I'm a die-hard fan and all my friends and most of my family think my obssesion with the Broncos boarders on the un-healthy. In my mind though I have a completly justifiable reason for my obsession.

Even though my Dad was from Chicago he loved the Broncos growing up When I was born, it became our Sunday and Monday ritual to watch football and go to Broncos games.

My father passed away when I was 8. The majority of the memories I have of him and I spending time together are football related. Whether it involved going to games, just sitting around watching games, or him coaching my friends and I in our yard

Football is how I spend time with Dad even though he's gone.

On game days, I even wear his old Broncos sweatshirt of which I had a matching, albeit much smaller version of as a child.8')

Blart
01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Nobody I knew liked football, not even my parents. My mom told me I was never allowed to play anything so violent.

I started watching the Broncos in 1986 because my favorite colors were orange and blue.

broncosteven
01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
On the final Sunday of the 1973 season, the Broncos played the Raiders in Oakland for the AFC West title. The Broncos lost 21-17, and lost the division by 4 points. I cried after they lost and was a fanatic from that day on.

I remember that game, my mom talked my Piano teacher into letting me come over early and watch it at here house because our recital was right after the game.

All I really remember was Turner missing a couple FG's late in the game.

crawdad
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Jim "High Tops" Turner

broncosteven
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Jim "High Tops" Turner

The Theme from The Sting was big that year, every kid over 9 played it during the recital.

I was about 6 so I had all I could handle with "She'll be coming round the mountain".

BioCore
01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Being from Northern Ireland can say Im probably the only Bronco in the town let alone the family. The plan is to be the founding father...

Breaker
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
My story is pretty odd as well. The only Broncos fan in my family was my grandmother on my dads side and she was a nut. I never got a chance to meet her as she passed away when I was merely 6 months old. Nobody else in the family really cared about football as my father was a huge basketball and baseball fan, Celtics and Red Sox because he is from Boston. Anyways, my grandmother realized that she was going to die and she asked my mom and dad to raise any children that they had as Broncos fans because "she did not want to have her team not have anyone from our family rooting for them". My mom and dad said ok and they did their jobs well.

bjeffrey
01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Moved here from Wisconsin in 1974. Grew up worshipping Lombardi & GB. Didn't take long to convert. Dad was a shareholder in the Packers & bled their colors till he died. I got season tickets and made sure all 3 of my kids knew the game and the team. They are all unbelievably loyal and knowledgeable, even though two are now "trapped behind enemy lines" in Texas. My 21 yr old daughter intimidates her guys by quizzing them on defensive schemes. Bronco family history? Guess I started it. Football family history? All kudos to my dad.

kappys
01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
My parents are immigrants, they never watched football when I was a kid but I was born in Broomfield and moved to NJ when I was 2. There I started off my football watching career in '86 and as almost a Giants fan but somehow I could never get that nasty taste out of my mouth(I hate the East Coast). So I became a Broncos fan. Loved the defense especially Simon Fletcher - my favorite all time Bronco, in the adoring way that only young kids can. When we moved back to Denver at age 13 it was all gravy. I became a big time Broncos fan and even converted my mom into watching the Broncos - she's almost as big a fan as me!

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Being from Northern Ireland can say Im probably the only Bronco in the town let alone the family. The plan is to be the founding father...

a fan, not just from Ireland, but Northern Ireland to boot... nice... keep up the good work, and go IRA on any and all faider fans you come into contact with.

Alkazar
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Me? I'm an Air Force brat. My old man got stationed down in Norad back in '67. Didn't really get into football until '76. I was 16 then, and my dad was always watching the Broncos. Started watching casually with him but I got hooked bad with the 1st Superbowl run and been hooked ever since.

Chris
01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I think I was the only Broncos fan in Hong Kong and the only kid at my school that watched American football.

ScottXray
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I was born in Rhode Island and moved to Littleton when I was 1 (1950), when my dad went to Korea. We were supposed to go to Palo Alto CA, but my sister got appendicitis in Kansas (dad was driving the family cross country in a 49 Buick on his way to ship out from there). So we stopped in Denver at Fitzsimmons and she had surgery. We never did get to CA, and My mom got a job at Heckethorns making 82mm mortar shells. When my dad came home in 53 we just stayed. He was a 23 year army vet , retired and went to work in the post office.

I first started watching the Broncos when I started caddying for a guy down the street when I was about 14. His name was Dick Work and he was an O linemen for the Broncos that year. Huge guy ( or it seemed so to me).

So, I started watching them. But, I became a Fan when Denver beat Detroit in the pre season game in August 67 at DU stadium. I went to that game, my first. I would try to scrounge up enough to go to a game now and then, but didn't have much money, so prayed for TV games.

After that I followed them pretty much, except when I was out of the country when I was in the military. Once I got out in October 72 I became semi-rabid. My wifes grandparents had season tickets and I got to go to games at least 4-5 times every year, either with her granddad or her aunt.
Grandma hardly ever went. Once his emphasema got bad he didn't go much, especially in cold weather.
So, I got to go to Denvers first Monday night game (Oakland), Floyd Littles last home game (Dec 73 ...he took a screen pass 70 some yards to the house late in the game.) , The season opener in (I think) 74 when we onside kicked to start the game twice and got up on Pitt 14-0 , only to end in a 35- 35 OT tie (the first regular season NFL game that ever went to OT). The game where Morton brought them from 23 down against the seahawks in the second half in 78 or 9..

Unfortunately,I moved up here in May 81...so I haven't attended many games since then, especially since the seahawks left the AFC. But I still love my Broncos and watch every week. My wife gets so ticked at me cause I put absolutely the HIGHEST priority on watching them, and I have told her to stick it on so many other things if its football season. She finally has learned to put up with it.

So, I'm a Bronco fan cause my sister got appendicitiis.

BioCore
01-16-2009, 03:09 AM
a fan, not just from Ireland, but Northern Ireland to boot... nice... keep up the good work, and go IRA on any and all faider fans you come into contact with.

Can honestly say Ive never met a fan of another AFC West team though a few of my friends are pretty hardcore Vikings, Panthers and Buccs fans but to even have that over here is pretty rare. As you'd expect its a minority sport over here but as you've probably guessed its really picking up steam in the UK with the wembley games and all that (Was at the Saints Chargers one, couldn't have asked for a better game either with the Chargers losing just the icing on the cake)

First got into the sport after catching the Patriots Panthers SB one late night and loved it without truly appreciating what was going on. After that I went out and bought Madden 2004 and decided there and then I wanted to pick a team Id become a fan of and stick with it and it couldn't be the Patriots or Panthers as I didn't want to be a bandwagon fan. Loved the Broncos logo and the orange and blue uniforms so without knowing anything about the team/roster/salary cap and how things changed about so quickly become a fan learning about all the players and what the positions meant from the game.

Been watching the team play since 2004 and haven't missed a game since the chance to watch the games online came about (had to wait until satelite TV decided to put on Broncos games before that). My real passion was watching Plummer implement the bootleg/PA offence, it was a thing of beauty when it was clicking and still marvel at how well he could throw running. From being a long time lurker on here (not a big poster) I realised Plummer wasn't the most popular player by any means but I have to say I loved watching him play and the heart and passion he showed every play. It really kept me hooked during that first year so he will always have a special place when I think about the team. Rod Smith's story of being a UFA and Al Wilson purely because he was Al Wilson won't be forgotten anytime soon either

My dream is to go to a game in Denver someday but we'll see how that pans out :D

halfcreek
01-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Started following the Broncos in 1959. Denver native who followed the Denver Bears and then the Broncos when they were formed. Friends with Bob Howsam's son and my family was related to the Phipps brothers. Granddad bought 12 season tickets on the 50 yard line 30 rows up in 1962, but they went out of the family when he died. I have been pretty fanatic for 50 years.

Peoples Champ
01-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Moved here from Wisconsin in 1974. Grew up worshipping Lombardi & GB. Didn't take long to convert. Dad was a shareholder in the Packers & bled their colors till he died. I got season tickets and made sure all 3 of my kids knew the game and the team. They are all unbelievably loyal and knowledgeable, even though two are now "trapped behind enemy lines" in Texas. My 21 yr old daughter intimidates her guys by quizzing them on defensive schemes. Bronco family history? Guess I started it. Football family history? All kudos to my dad.

I also have converted a Green Bay fan (packer backer) to a Denver Fan. But he was 12, so it was easy.

Ambiguous
01-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Kudos to whoever started this thread...

broncocalijohn
01-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Nobody I knew liked football, not even my parents. My mom told me I was never allowed to play anything so violent.

I started watching the Broncos in 1986 because my favorite colors were orange and blue.

Tell your mom that is why you are gay LOL! I can see you going with a team's colors but orange and blue? Seems like an odd choice to choose. WHy havent we seen a pic of you in these colors with some feathers and something totally gay for us to put on the Hilarious picture thread? J/k

Peoples Champ
01-16-2009, 03:18 PM

You sound like Chubbs Peterson from Happy Gilmore. He wanted to play football but his mom wouldnt sign the permission slip.

DB Doom
01-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Dad is from Denver. just happened that way. earliest memory is Elway trying to take the snap from a guard...

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I was born in Rhode Island and moved to Littleton when I was 1 (1950), when my dad went to Korea. We were supposed to go to Palo Alto CA, but my sister got appendicitis in Kansas (dad was driving the family cross country in a 49 Buick on his way to ship out from there). So we stopped in Denver at Fitzsimmons and she had surgery. We never did get to CA, and My mom got a job at Heckethorns making 82mm mortar shells. When my dad came home in 53 we just stayed. He was a 23 year army vet , retired and went to work in the post office.

I first started watching the Broncos when I started caddying for a guy down the street when I was about 14. His name was Dick Work and he was an O linemen for the Broncos that year. Huge guy ( or it seemed so to me).

So, I started watching them. But, I became a Fan when Denver beat Detroit in the pre season game in August 67 at DU stadium. I went to that game, my first. I would try to scrounge up enough to go to a game now and then, but didn't have much money, so prayed for TV games.

After that I followed them pretty much, except when I was out of the country when I was in the military. Once I got out in October 72 I became semi-rabid. My wifes grandparents had season tickets and I got to go to games at least 4-5 times every year, either with her granddad or her aunt.
Grandma hardly ever went. Once his emphasema got bad he didn't go much, especially in cold weather.
So, I got to go to Denvers first Monday night game (Oakland), Floyd Littles last home game (Dec 73 ...he took a screen pass 70 some yards to the house late in the game.) , The season opener in (I think) 74 when we onside kicked to start the game twice and got up on Pitt 14-0 , only to end in a 35- 35 OT tie (the first regular season NFL game that ever went to OT). The game where Morton brought them from 23 down against the seahawks in the second half in 78 or 9..

Unfortunately,I moved up here in May 81...so I haven't attended many games since then, especially since the seahawks left the AFC. But I still love my Broncos and watch every week. My wife gets so ticked at me cause I put absolutely the HIGHEST priority on watching them, and I have told her to stick it on so many other things if its football season. She finally has learned to put up with it.

So, I'm a Bronco fan cause my sister got appendicitiis.

VERY COOL.:thumbsup:

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Can honestly say Ive never met a fan of another AFC West team though a few of my friends are pretty hardcore Vikings, Panthers and Buccs fans but to even have that over here is pretty rare. As you'd expect its a minority sport over here but as you've probably guessed its really picking up steam in the UK with the wembley games and all that (Was at the Saints Chargers one, couldn't have asked for a better game either with the Chargers losing just the icing on the cake)

First got into the sport after catching the Patriots Panthers SB one late night and loved it without truly appreciating what was going on. After that I went out and bought Madden 2004 and decided there and then I wanted to pick a team Id become a fan of and stick with it and it couldn't be the Patriots or Panthers as I didn't want to be a bandwagon fan. Loved the Broncos logo and the orange and blue uniforms so without knowing anything about the team/roster/salary cap and how things changed about so quickly become a fan learning about all the players and what the positions meant from the game.

Been watching the team play since 2004 and haven't missed a game since the chance to watch the games online came about (had to wait until satelite TV decided to put on Broncos games before that). My real passion was watching Plummer implement the bootleg/PA offence, it was a thing of beauty when it was clicking and still marvel at how well he could throw running. From being a long time lurker on here (not a big poster) I realised Plummer wasn't the most popular player by any means but I have to say I loved watching him play and the heart and passion he showed every play. It really kept me hooked during that first year so he will always have a special place when I think about the team. Rod Smith's story of being a UFA and Al Wilson purely because he was Al Wilson won't be forgotten anytime soon either

My dream is to go to a game in Denver someday but we'll see how that pans out :D

I've got a soft spot for Plummer, he is a horse of a different color... some day I hope to get to the UK, Ireland and Scotland... I'd love to see Wales... it's in my blood.

Br0nc0Buster
01-16-2009, 09:09 PM
My mom's side of the family is from Colorado.
My mom and her mom are huge Bronco fans.
I was born into BroncoNation by birth as I was born in Colorado.

I live in Kansas now, and I can honestly say I see more Bronco stuff on my campus than Chief stuff.
In fact I saw TWO people wearing Bronco clothes today.

Although the Chiefs being a CFL team also might have something to do with it.