PDA

View Full Version : Sirius NFL Radio: O'Brien hired by Patriots, Priefer likely new ST coach in Denver

montrose
01-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Sirius NFL Radio just reported that former Broncos ST coach Scott O'Brien has accepted a job on the Patriots staff and that Chiefs ST Coach Mike Priefer will likely take over the ST duties for the Broncos.

Here's Priefer's bio:
http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/mike_priefer/

HEAV
01-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Another Ohio boy!

TonyR
01-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Something tells me that O'Brien will have a lot more success in NE than he had in Denver. The guy was considered one of the best before working for the Broncos.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Something tells me that O'Brien will have a lot more success in NE than he had in Denver. The guy was considered one of the best before working for the Broncos.

No doubt. As long as I've been a broncos fan, the broncos have sucked on ST (with the exception of the Darrien Gordon years)

Traveler
01-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Any reason why that is?

baja
01-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Any reason why that is?

As time goes by some of those reasons are going to come out. IMO

HEAV
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Any reason why that is?

I wanna say talent...or the lack there of it.

Paladin
01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Care to give just one, Baja?

A lot of shifting going on. eh?

jutang
01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Imagine if Dennison, Bates, and Turner left for the Patriots!

O'Brien was a disappointment. I really expected the ST to turn around, but it never really happened. Added that Prater got worse as the yr went along was also disheartening. Even the guys kickoffs were comparable to Elam's at seasons end.

Why ST have been so bad for so long is a real mystery.

baja
01-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Care to give just one, Baja?

A lot of shifting going on. eh?

What is the common denominator?

The little man upstairs is the common denominator

HooptyHoops
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Sirius NFL Radio just reported that former Broncos ST coach Scott O'Brien has accepted a job on the Patriots staff and that Chiefs ST Coach Mike Priefer will likely take over the ST duties for the Broncos.

Here's Priefer's bio:
http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/mike_priefer/

Even though he's a Chief, his stats for a ST coach are pretty impressive...

Traveler
01-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Maybe McD will it ST more of a priority than his predecessor.

TheReverend
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Well that sucks.

TonyR
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
I wanna say talent...or the lack there of it.

That's got to be the primary reason. Special teams are usually filled with your backup talent which is something this team doesn't have much of due in large part to draft failure every year prior to the last 3.

montrose
01-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Any reason why that is?

One reason is no consistency in personnel. Since Darrien left we've gone through several returns like Kasper, Cole, Adams, Hixon, Martinez and Hall to name a few. Furthermore, we haven't had much consistency on our units with different reserves playing the part week-to-week, let alone year-to-year. Until this year, we also overloaded on DBs and WRs to play special teams while if you look at teams like Buffalo that thrive in that area - they are loaded at LB. The reason is that LBs have become so much quicker, their size and speed works well on the units. When we had Niko, Larsen, Woodyard, Winborn and Green all playing special teams at the same time - it was the best I'd seen our unit look in years. I'm disappointed Niko will be gone because, while he was a bust at MLB - he was the best pure STer we've had since Keith Burns.

TonyR
01-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Added that Prater got worse as the yr went along was also disheartening. Even the guys kickoffs were comparable to Elam's at seasons end.

I found that particularly troubling as well. One of the main reasons I talked myself into being okay with letting Elam go was that he was a liability on kickoffs, and when Prater became the same I didn't feel quite as good about it...

Hotrod
01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Depth Depth and serious lack of Depth is a big reason our ST is so ****ing special.

Kaylore
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/staff/mike_priefer.jpg
"Bob says I develop Franchise Punters, whatever the hell that is..."

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Depth Depth and serious lack of Depth is a big reason our ST is so ****ing special.

That and O'Brien was a poor coach

Rohirrim
01-14-2009, 09:59 AM
The only reason O'Brien couldn't succeed in Denver is because Shanahan considered STs the last item on his priority list and pretty much used STs as a practice squad for the team. Interesting that Belichick would snatch O'Brien up.

tsiguy96
01-14-2009, 10:03 AM
The only reason O'Brien couldn't succeed in Denver is because Shanahan considered STs the last item on his priority list and pretty much used STs as a practice squad for the team. Interesting that Belichick would snatch O'Brien up.

considering he only has essentially the best staff work for him, its telling of how shanahan thought of special teams. i expect to see that part of the game improve dramatically.

HEAV
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
What is the common denominator?

The little man upstairs is the common denominator

The little man upstairs was the common denominator

baja
01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I think Mike had control screwed down too tight and it was effecting the team as a whole. All Bronco personal, players and coaches alike were making decisions to please Mike not what they thought was best for the team. I understand there is no way to know this at this time but there are indications this might be the case. It is this possibility that I think will be reveled if in fact there is any truth to it.

Majik
01-14-2009, 10:12 AM
To sum every bodies thoughts up. Its this guy's fault.

http://blogg.visir.is/nfl/files/2007/11/s_shanahan_i.jpg

Poor drafts and inept importance of special teams, lead to lack of commitment to improve the special teams.

Broncos_OTM
01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Its interesting. Players who respect there coaches play there hearts out. i didnt see any or hardly any heart this season. when shanny was fired at first i was shocked. but i really do think it was the best thing for this franchise

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Another Ohio boy!

Ohio in da house again!

Make some room in the trophy case.

Traveler
01-14-2009, 10:30 AM

-sarcasm-Could someone please diagram Shanahan's coaching tree as compared to Belichick's.:thanku:

KCStud
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes! Priefer is an absolute moron of a ST's coach!

theAPAOps5
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes! Priefer is an absolute moron of a ST's coach!

Well that seals it. He will be great here.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't want the Chiefs' sloppy seconds.

Crushaholic
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/staff/mike_priefer.jpg
"Bob says I develop Franchise Punters, whatever the hell that is..."

Dustin Colquitt is arguably the best player on that team. Colquitt is very good at the coffin kicks...

BroncoMan4ever
01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Imagine if Dennison, Bates, and Turner left for the Patriots!

O'Brien was a disappointment. I really expected the ST to turn around, but it never really happened. Added that Prater got worse as the yr went along was also disheartening. Even the guys kickoffs were comparable to Elam's at seasons end.

Why ST have been so bad for so long is a real mystery.

we are continually one of the only teams in the league to not have a majority of our ST handled by starters. we have a couple but some teams units are full of defensive starters.

rovolution
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
i think its a good hire. Dustin Colquit always kills us with his coffin corner punting.

Chris
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Not sure having our starters there would make us any better at this point Bman..

chrisp
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Not sure having our starters there would make us any better at this point Bman..

Sadly you have a point there my friend...

chrisp
01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
-sarcasm-Could someone please diagram Shanahan's coaching tree as compared to Belichick's.:thanku:

That is a good point. A coach considered by many to be one of the best, yet only one of his assistants (Kubiak) has gone on to do anything of note despite a 14-year tenure.

I wasn't calling for Shanny's head at the end of the season, but I'm sure that now he's gone the atmosphere in the corridoors of Dove Valley has lightened somewhat...

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Bill Cheat doesn't have a coaching tree. He's a branch in the Parcell's tree.

montrose
01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Bill Cheat doesn't have a coaching tree. He's a branch in the Parcell's tree.

By that logic Shanny's a branch off the Walsh tree (via Seifert).

Rock Chalk
01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Kubes and Tim Brewster and that Dorrell guy are the only HCs I can think of spawned from Shanny and Brewster and Dorrell are college HCs (Brewster made it to the Insight bowl this year only to get spanked by KU :) )

ND Bronco Fan
01-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah and Brewster came from San Diego not? Was only in Denver for a couple years?

rovolution
01-14-2009, 02:40 PM
and the guy at Air Force whos name escapes me at the moment

tonngo0
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Calhoune is the Air Force Coach. I think Shanny is a great coach just a so so GM, that is his downfall.

Popps
01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Very interesting.

Pretty obvious, but STs tend to be just a reflection of your overall quality level. Hence, not a shocker that ours were inconsistent.

orinjkrush
01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
the buck stops you know where. ST included.

ZONA
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
My vote is for lack of practice reps. I can't say for sure but I'm willing to bet that the Broncos ST units probably don't spend as much time in film or on the field as other ST units do. Yeah, talent also but I really think the lack of attention and practice can only make it as bad as we were. I'm speaking mostly of the return game and coverages. Not the kicking and punting itself.

TonyR
01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
MANGINI’S STAFF TAKES SHAPE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2009, 7:49 p.m. EST
As expected, the Browns have announced that former Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan will serve in that same role on head coach Eric Mangini’s staff.

Likewise, former Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll becomes Mangini’s offensive coordinator.

Serving as assistant head coach/special teams coordinator will be former Patriots special teams coach Brad Seeley, who spent a full ten years in New England. (So much for Scott O’Brien.)

The four men — Mangini, Ryan, Daboll, and Seely — worked together with the Patriots from 2000 through 2003, winning two Super Bowls.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/14/manginis-staff-takes-shape/