PDA

View Full Version : Patriots ST coach and Eagles secondary coached being considered

crowebomber
01-14-2009, 09:54 AM
In addition to Dom, according to RM News article

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/13/mcdaniels-hires-nolan-begins-talks-on-assembling/

Josh McDaniels' first full day as Broncos coach consisted mostly of closed doors and the meetings behind them as he moved toward building a coaching staff and evaluating his team's personnel.

With a four-year, $8 million contract in hand, McDaniels spent Tuesday in his new office, huddled with team officials and some of Mike Shanahan's former assistants, including Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner.

McDaniels also made his first hire, former San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan. Nolan agreed to terms on a two-year deal to run the Broncos defense and arrived at the team's Dove Valley complex Tuesday afternoon.

McDaniels had said Monday he hoped to have a defensive staff in place before deciding what scheme the team would play.

McDaniels also is pursuing coaching veteran Dom Capers, who, despite having a year remaining on his contract with New England, was not expected to return to the Patriots for the 2009 season.

Nolan and Capers are well-versed in the 3-4 defense (three linemen, four linebackers), so if the Broncos determine they have enough, or can obtain enough, players to play it, they could take the field that way as soon as next season.

Patriots special teams coach Brad Seely, who has been on that team's coaching staff for a decade and is the only holdover from Pete Carroll's time with the team, will get heavy consideration for that job with the Broncos.

Philadelphia Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott also is being considered for a position on McDaniels' staff. McDermott, who is believed to have a year remaining on his contract, is off limits for interviews because his team still is in the playoffs.

Nolan, who officially became McDaniels' first hire, was fired in his fourth season as 49ers coach in October and is a longtime defensive coach who has served as a coordinator for four teams (Ravens, Jets, Redskins and Giants). He got his NFL start as a special teams and linebackers coach with the Broncos from 1987 to 1992.

Part of the plan for the Broncos that McDaniels unveiled in his two interviews, owner Pat Bowlen said, was he would bring in "some veteran hands" to repair the defense.

"I know Josh can fix this defense, and I believe he can," Bowlen said Monday in announcing McDaniels' hiring. "(Nolan has) coached for me before, I know him, he knows us and what we're about here."

Turner and Dennison --- who were assistants with Shanahan for his entire 14-year tenure --- interviewed with McDaniels about remaining on the staff. Quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates is believed to be out of town, so he has not met with McDaniels face to face. Broncos officials also have recommended McDaniels retain receivers coach Jedd Fisch.

Dennison interviewed earlier in the week with the 49ers for their offensive coordinator job and is believed to be nearing an interview with another team. The Broncos gave the four assistants who remain permission to speak with other teams if they wish.

So Bates --- who recently signed a two-year extension and has three years on his contract overall --- was given permission to speak with the Oakland Raiders after they requested, in writing, a chance to talk with him about a position on their coaching staff.

Raiders owner Al Davis, who has been hospitalized but is conducting interviews with head coaching candidates, can talk with Bates about running the offense --- if interim coach Tom Cable is retained or someone with a defensive background such as Winston Moss is hired for the top job --- or possibly even the head coaching job.

Bates, who, at 32, is the same age as McDaniels, just finished his first season as the Broncos' primary play-caller on offense. Quarterback Jay Cutler set a franchise single-season record for passing yards (4,526) and earned his first Pro Bowl trip.

But Bates' role on McDaniels' staff would be different if he remained. Cutler has said he prefers Bates stay, but McDaniels already has indicated he will call plays in the Broncos offense.

McDaniels called the plays for the Patriots' high-powered offense in recent seasons, including 2007 when the team set the NFL single-season scoring record and quarterback Tom Brady won the league's Most Valuable Player award.

McDaniels said he hopes to have his staff complete as soon as possible so the coaches can begin to evaluate the team's personnel.

The college all-star games, including the Senior Bowl, are coming up, and the scouting combine opens in a little more than a month in Indianapolis.

socalorado
01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
OH NO!!!!!

"Raiders owner Al Davis, who has been hospitalized but is conducting interviews with head coaching candidates, can talk with Bates about running the offense."

Lets all hope and pray for a speedy recovery!!

montrose
01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Sirius reported that Seely is expected to follow Mangini to Cleveland.

Traveler
01-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Read the KC ST coach was being considered by McD.

footstepsfrom#27
01-14-2009, 10:59 AM
OH NO!!!!!

"Raiders owner Al Davis, who has been hospitalized but is conducting interviews with head coaching candidates, can talk with Bates about running the offense."

Lets all hope and pray for a speedy recovery!!
No kidding...best of everything for Al...and don't let him slip on a banana peel or something either.

Inkana7
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I really hope we get McDermott.

Gcver2ver3
01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
so is this article implying that there's a possibility we could land Nolan, Capers AND McDermott?...

or if we get Capers we don't get McDermott?...

SureShot
01-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Yes please!

(Jae)
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
If we get McDermott I'll be so Happy I'll give every one on this board 50$.

active longtime members at least

TonyR
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Apparently Green Bay is considering him for DC which would trump anything we can offer if they go that way.

SoDak Bronco
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
McDermott would be better than McDaniels..err

BroncoMan4ever
01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
If we get McDermott I'll be so Happy I'll give every one on this board 50$.

active longtime members at least

So what constitutes longtime member?;D

Rock Chalk
01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
So what constitutes longtime member?;D

Pretty sure all members here from the first year and on aka, 2001 :)

ChampBailey24
01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
am i a long term member yet? id love 50 dollars lol