PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Broncos all-time coaches in order

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
1. Frank Filchock (1960-61): 7-20-1 record, .259 winning percentage

Deserves some credit for getting our team off the ground with a group of rag-tag players in hideous uniforms. In the inaugural season, he got Denver off to 2-0 start after wins in Boston and Buffalo. Beat the Raiders in our first ever meeting! Other than that, he had a rough ride with a 4-9-1 and 3-11 record.

2. Jack Faulkner (1962-64): 9-22-1 record, .290 winning percentage

1962 UPI AFC Coach of the Year. Led Denver to their only .500 season in their first 13 seasons of existence. Helped Denver to a torrid 7-2 start in '62, but finished his tenure here with a dismal 2-20-1 mark. Fired after an 0-4 start in '64. Allegedly used spying tactics to help beat his old friend and coaching mentor Sid Gillman of the Chargers.

3. Mac Speedie (1964-66): 6-19-1 record, .240 winning percentage

Speedie relieved Faulkner after an 0-4 start in '64 and became an instant hit in his first game by upsetting the Chiefs 33-27. He finished '64 with a 1-7-1 record and followed with a 4-10 record in '65. After a 0-2 start in '66, Broncos fans hurled garbage at Speedie as he walked off the field following a 24-10 loss to the Patriots. This led to his resignation.

4. Ray Malavasi (1966): 4-8, .333 winning percentage

Interm coach later went on to lead the 1979 Los Angeles Rams to a NFC Championship. Holds the highest winning percentage of the Broncos first five head coaches.

5. Lou Saban (1967-71): 20-42-3, .323 winning percentage

Nick Saban's cousin brought high expectations and a resume of winning to Denver after leading the Buffalo Bills to back-to-back AFL Titles in 1964 and 1965. Unfortunately, Saban couldn't do any better than a 5-8-1 record. During the home opener versus the Miami Dolphins in '71, Saban infamously went for the tie instead of win, sealing his fate and turning the entire city against him. After the game, Saban described his decision, ""At least half a loaf is better than none."

6. Jerry Smith (1971): 2-3, .400 winning percentage

Smith was Denver's interm coach for five games in 1971. He defeated Pittsburgh and Chicago, but got pummeled by three AFC West rivals (KC, SD, OAK) by a 94-40 margin.

7. John Ralston (1972-76): 34-33-3, .507 winning percentage

Led Denver to their first winning season in 1972 (7-5-2). He also had winning records in both 1974 (7-6-1) and 1976 (9-5). He was an excellent evaluator of talent, but the players ran him out of town because he was too much of a nice guy. In the end, he couldn't beat the Raiders or get the Broncos to the postseason. Raised the bar in Denver and was a victim of his own success.

8. Red Miller (1977-80): 40-22 record, .645 winning percentage, AFC Championship (1977), 2 AFC West Championships ('77, '78), 3 Playoff Appearances ('77, '78, '79)

Miller was a guy that players would run through a wall for. Holds the highest winning percentage of any Broncos head coach. 1977 AP NFL Coach of the Year. Was also recognized in '77 as the NFL's best coach by the Sporting News and PFW. Led Denver to their first postseason appearance and AFC Championship in '77. Went to the postseason in his first three seasons. Following an 8-8 record in 1980, Miller got a raw deal as he was fired by then owner Edgar Kaiser.

9. Dan Reeves (1981-1992): 110-73-1 record, .601 winning percentage, 3 AFC Championships ('86, '87, '89), 5 AFC West Championships ('84, '86, '87, '89, '91), 6 Playoff Appearances ('83, '84, '86, '87, '89, '91)

In addition to going to the Super Bowl three times from '86-'89, Reeves also went 10-6 in '81, 13-3 in '84, 11-5 in '85 and 12-4 in '91. He was in love with his hero Tom Landry and was archaic in his ways, but he was still a hell of a football coach. I don't see how the Pro Football Hall of Fame can deny Reeves if Marv Levy and Bud Grant are already there.

10. Wade Phillips (1993-94): 16-16 record, .500 winning percentage, 1 Playoff Appearance ('93)

Phillips was ultimately fired because of Charlie Waters' porous defense. The offense flourished though with Reeves gone. He was on a short leash from the beginning because Shanahan was Bowlen's first choice all long.

11. Mike Shanahan (1995-2008): 138-86 record, .616 winning percentage, 2 Super Bowl titles (XXXII, XXXIII), 2 AFC Championships (1997, 1998), 3 AFC West Championships ('96, '98, '05), 7 Playoff Appearances ('96, '97, '98, '00, '03, '04, '05)

Shanahan led Denver to a robust 46-10 record (including playoffs) from 1996-98. He was 91-69 post-Elway covering 10 seasons (averaging a 9-7 record). Shanahan had only two losing seasons during his 14-year tenure in Denver.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Mine:

1. Shanahan
2. Reeves
3. Miller
4. Ralston
5. Phillips
6. Saban
7. Faulkner
8. Malavasi
9. Filchock
10. Smith
11. Speedie

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 11:30 PM
The first coach I remember was Red Miller. I was upset when Reeves came on even though I was only 11 yrs old. I remembered thinking he was a Cowboy and I hated Cowboys, and still do.

I'd rank them

Mike Shannahan
Red Miller
Dan Reeves
Wade Phillips

The rest I couldn't say.

Popps
01-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Gotta love the Half a Loaf story. Poor guy probably had no idea that would follow him to his grave.

Cito Pelon
01-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Well, first of all, if I ever change my user name it will be MacSpeedy. Seems pretty cool.

Ok, here we go:

Reeves
Shanahan
Miller
Ralston

Reeves #1 because he could drive his team to victory through sheer force of will on gameday. Dude was a demon on gameday. Denver won a lot of games and titles just because Reeves drove them on gameday. Also, Reeves brought Shanny into the NFL and taught him 80% of what made him successful.

#2 Shanahan solely because he went B2B. Other than that he couldn't hold Reeves, Red Miller's or John Ralston's jockstrap.

#3 Red Miller. Hardass dude, drove Ralston's roster to victories. I remember seeing him in a grocery store one time, got about 10 yds from him and the look in his eye said, "don't get any closer." Big dude, limping and angry, I veered off.

#4 John Ralston. Superb talent evaluator, smiled all the time, Jimmy Carter-like, all the time smiling, didn't make a lot of victories, but he loaded the team with talent.

colonelbeef
01-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Cito Pelon, what's it like not knowing anything about football? You are like a chick rooting for a home run on 2nd and goal from the 6

theAPAOps5
01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Cito just likes to rile feathers he doesn't believe the bull **** that comes out of his mouth.

Man-Goblin
01-14-2009, 07:38 AM
You guys are not respecting Jerry Smith enough.

Hotrod
01-14-2009, 07:38 AM
1. Josh McD
2. Shanny
3. Reeves
4. All the rest

jmz313
01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
1) Shanny
2) the ones who didn't win a title in Denver.

bowtown
01-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Wade Phillips

Everyone else.

Hogan11
01-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Mike Shannahan
Red Miller
John Ralston
Dan Reeves

The rest are not worthy of mention.

bronco militia
01-14-2009, 07:52 AM
1. Mike Shanahan
2. Dan Reeves
3. wade Phillips

I'm not old enough to comment on the other coaches

B-Love
01-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah Red Miller at number 2 huh?? 6 Posts and three people have Red Miller ranked higher than Dan Reeves??

Yeah, that's it; Miller's 4 years where the team got WORSE every year rank ahead of Reeves' 12 seasons.

Great take people.

Again, the comeplete lies and myths about Dan Reeves are the biggest weakness here at this otherwise great board. But the Dan Reeves stuff continues to just be laughable.

Shanahan
Reeves
Ralston and Miller tied for 3rd and 4th
Saban

Couldn't really see it any other way.

Rohirrim
01-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah Red Miller at number 2 huh?? 6 Posts and three people have Red Miller ranked higher than Dan Reeves??

Yeah, that's it; Miller's 4 years where the team got WORSE every year rank ahead of Reeves' 12 seasons.

Great take people.

Again, the comeplete lies and myths about Dan Reeves are the biggest weakness here at this otherwise great board. But the Dan Reeves stuff continues to just be laughable.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

I have to agree that Reeves was better than Miller (though I liked Miller a whole lot more). But Reeves put more TVs in danger than any coach in football history. I still remember sitting there for a crucial 3rd and 6, with Elway back there, and before the play was even run, I would say, out loud, "Sammy Winder up the middle." Then, bing! What's the ****ing play? SW up the middle for a loss of three and punt. Oh, and then there were the wonderful SBs where the team was so prepared they looked like a bunch of prep school ping pong players lost in a Bulgarian train station. I'll never forget attending a big SB party in L.A. where I was the only person wearing orange in a sea of 49er jerseys, losing 55 to 10. By halftime, I was out in the garage by myself playing darts with people shouting from the windows, "Don't you want to see the second half?" Perhaps this is why Reeves doesn't get a very good rating on this board. Him and his ****ing "foobawl." ;D

DBBBSBS
01-14-2009, 08:12 AM
who knows after a few yrs we will be saying

1. Josh McD
2. All other denver head coaches.

LOL

Kaylore
01-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Great take people.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

I gotta agree with this. You don't wonder if Ralston stayed on one more season if he wouldn't have had gone to the super bowl. It was his team. R66v6s had his flaws but the team was always competitive under him and they got to three super bowls, which is two more than Miller.

Hogan11
01-14-2009, 08:20 AM

Great take people.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

Yeah, it was probably personal bias that had me rank Miller before Reeves. I was not a Reeves fan at all, so he's lucky to have come in @ #4 on my list....and that's only because I'm acknowledging the guy's accomplishments.

Riddi
01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Well I was 9 years old in 1981 when I became a football fan and my love for the Broncos grew. So I can only really comment on the coaches from then. I loved Reeves and was sad to see him go. But of course back then the fighting between Reeves and Elway wasn't as public as it would be today. Shanny was and is the man in denver in terms of historic coaching. It will be a long time before anyone takes the top spot.

So here is my top 4 coaches since I have been a Bronco fan.

1. Shanny
2. Reeves
3. McDaniels
4. Phillips

Just after one press conference I rate McDaniels ahead of Wade...I hate that tub of crap!

colonelbeef
01-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Cito just likes to rile feathers he doesn't believe the bull **** that comes out of his mouth.

Consider me successfully troll'd haha

Peoples Champ
01-14-2009, 10:02 AM
My only criteria is Superbowls, and since Shannahan is the only one to do that, he is number one. Regardless of what team he was "given" (or built)

Plus,

Even his "bad years" or losing seasons, we were never the laughing stock of the NFL, while many other successfull franchises were.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
1. Shanny
2. Miller
3. Reeves

the rest are all fine coaches, but I can't really break down eaches ranking in Bronco's history.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Great take people.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

I did say Reeves was a hell of a football coach who should be in the HOF.

I went back-and-forth with Reeves/Miller at 2/3 and eventually decided on Miller because I thought he was underappreciated by the pro football world in general. I wasn't trying to diminish Reeves' accomplishments at all.

Anyways you convinced me. Reeves is back at #2 where he belongs.

Jason in LA
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Cito Pelon, what's it like not knowing anything about football? You are like a chick rooting for a home run on 2nd and goal from the 6

That's awesome!!! I thought the same thing. A month or so back he was trying to make the point that Shanahan won the Super Bowls mostly with Reeves and Phillips' players.

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't understad all the Reeves hate as well. the guy should be in the HOF. After Super Bowl 33 does anyone know how many Super Bowls Dan was a part of? Almost a quarter of them. 3-4 with Dallas, 3 with Denver and 1 with Atlanta.

Taco John
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, here we go:

Reeves
Shanahan
Miller
Ralston

Come on Cito. You can't possibly believe this. Please tell us that you were just yanking our chain.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't understad all the Reeves hate as well. the guy should be in the HOF. After Super Bowl 33 does anyone know how many Super Bowls Dan was a part of? Almost a quarter of them. 3-4 with Dallas, 3 with Denver and 1 with Atlanta.

Who is hating on Reeves? I haven't heard anybody say anything negative about him in this thread other than Hogan.

Bronco Bob
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Mike Shanahan (Finally won us a Super Bowl, then another)
Red Miller (Got us to our first Super Bowl)
Dan Reeves (+ 3 Super Bowls, - no wins)
John Ralston (Reason I got interested in the Broncos in the first place)
Wade Phillips (Sort of just filler between Reeves and Shanahan)

Rest were before I was a Broncos fan, so I have no idea where to rank them.

broncosteven
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
1) Shanny
2) the ones who didn't win a title in Denver.

1) Shanny, There are only 7 franchises that won back to back SB's. A fact that is lost on this board.

2) Miller - brought respectablity to Denver

3) Reeves - Lots of wins, just not the big one.

4) Ralston - He was a QB away from it all

I would take Saban over Wade, but neither deserves top 5.

KipCorrington25
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
John Ralston was better than he gets credit for. He took them from the worst in the league to respectable which was no small task trust me.

ScottXray
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
1. Shanahan 2 super bowl wins
2. Reeves. boring but we were in the hunt always.
3. Ralston. Built the team that Miller took to the bowl. I remember he always posted his goals every year. " Go 10-4, make playoffs, go to and win the super bowl. "
4. Red Miller. Made just enough changes to get the team to the bowl. declined every year afterward.
5. Phillips. Kept the chair warm for Shanahan
6 and below who cares.

New coach McDaniels has no rank until after a season at least.

gunns
01-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Great take people.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

I have to agree. And I would rank Ralston ahead of Miller as it was Ralston's efforts that allowed the Broncos to make that SB with Miller. As I recall the players began disliking Miller. Am I remembering that correctly?

spdirty
01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
1. Shanahan
2. Joe Collier
3. John Ralston
4. Bobby turner
5. Alex Gibbs
6. Red Miller
7. Reeves

Rock Chalk
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Despite what many on this thread will tell you, Reeves was NOT a great coach.

He consistently failed to get the talent around Elway for him to succeed in the Superbowl. His lack of finding or developing a real running threat (including the O-line and the RB himself) is a major reason why I will NEVER EVER like Reeves.

More importantly, he had the greatest QB of all time and what did he do? Not once did he let John Elway win a passing title. John Elway's best year came AFTER Reeves was long gone, him and his run run pass punt strategy. If not for Elway's brilliant play, Reeves would have been a losing coach in Denver.

How B-Love can sugar coat this ****er is a god damn mystery to me.

The three amigos were the best WRs Elway ever had to work with under Reeves and none of those guys would have even made the teams on the real superbowl contenders of their era. Its a ****ing joke that guy gets so much love from some of these posters.

Spider
01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Shanny fired so now we are going to wet all over ourselfs in memory ?
None of the coaches were worth a **** except Shanahan and Ralston and Ralston couldnt game plan his way out of a wet paper bag , but man he could spot talent ...as for assistant coaches , only 1 that was ever worth a **** , joe Collier ..........the rest are just a mere footnote in history as they should be

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I'd put

Shanahan
McDaniels
Red Miller (How could you not enjoy first SB trip orange crush)
Dan Reeves

B-Love
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Despite what many on this thread will tell you, Reeves was NOT a great coach.

No one said he's a GREAT coach. Dan Reeves was a very good coach. Shanahan was an 8.5 for his tenure. Reeves was a 7 out of 10. A VERY GOOD football coach.

He consistently failed to get the talent around Elway for him to succeed in the Superbowl. His lack of finding or developing a real running threat (including the O-line and the RB himself) is a major reason why I will NEVER EVER like Reeves.

More importantly, he had the greatest QB of all time and what did he do? Not once did he let John Elway win a passing title.

Despite what many think, Elway's best season was in 1987. If you had to pick a season which defined what Elway will be remembered for the rest of his life, 1987 was the year. Did he win the stat title? No. Was he the unanimous MVP of the league? Yes.

John Elway's best year came AFTER Reeves was long gone, him and his run run pass punt strategy. If not for Elway's brilliant play, Reeves would have been a losing coach in Denver.

Always embarrassed for losers who write this. It's the clearest indicator that certain people really don't know their team history. We were a little conservative from 83-84 and again from 91-92 under Reeves. From 81-82 and from 85-90 we were regarded as one of the more aggressive Offenses in the league. When people write that Run Run Pass punt nonsense, it's lets me know who knows what they're talking about and who listens to John Clayton and other guys like that.

How B-Love can sugar coat this ****er is a god damn mystery to me.

I don't sugar coat anything. Shanahan was an 8.5 and Reeves a 7. I don't make a fool out of myself like you do with exagerration like you. It's not sugarcoating, it's fact. You really think Bowlen would let him hang around 9 years under him, 12 in total, ifg he were a bad football coach?

The three amigos were the best WRs Elway ever had to work with under Reeves and none of those guys would have even made the teams on the real superbowl contenders of their era. Its a ****ing joke that guy gets so much love from some of these posters.

Actually Steve Watson and Vance Johnson were better than Dennis McKinnon and Willie Gault, who won the SB in 85. And Watson, Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson were far better than Lionel Manuel, Bobby Johnson and Phil McConkey, who won the Super Bowl in 1986.

But otherwise great take Adam.

I also I have league wide advance scouting guides that were used by pro scouting services. And Vance Johnson was ranked as a top 10 NFL WR talent for 4 straight years from 1986-1989. Steve Watson was regarded as being perhaps the best route runner in all of football, and was seen as having the best hands of any Receiver in the league. And other guys like Nattiel, Mark Jackson, Butch Johnson and Clint Sampson all had some decent moments.

Most advance scouting guides of that era consistently ranked the Broncos Receving corps in the top 10 in the NFL, albeit towards the loqer half of that top 10. But your notion that they wouldn't make another team is just laughable, yet typical of you.

Dope.

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
1. Shanahan
2. Joe Collier
3. John Ralston
4. Bobby turner
5. Alex Gibbs
6. Red Miller
7. Reeves

interesting... I like.

Rohirrim
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I once played a round of golf with Vance Johnson at Park Hill. He could hit the ball a mile. Then it took him six shots to get up and down. ;D