PDA

View Full Version : FSU's Rolle heads to Oxford, eyes '10 draft

ro_50
01-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Talk about a kid who has a greater purpose in life than just playing football. What an impressive and intelligent kid. I wish Mr. Rolle the best of luck at Oxford. Mel Kiper had him as a 2-3 round pick. He was the number 1 rated H.S. player in '06 by a couple of recruiting outlets and had a solid career as FSU. But this guy got his pre-med degree in 2.5 years, just damn, how impressive is that...............

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3831211

ESPN.com news services
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State safety Myron Rolle will study at Oxford instead of entering this year's NFL draft.

Rolle won a Rhodes scholarship in November and plans to seek a one-year master's degree in medical anthropology.

"The opportunity to attend Oxford next year as a Rhodes Scholar was one that you couldn't pass up," Rolle told ESPN's Chris McKendry.

Rolle, projected to be an early round pick, said he plans to enter the 2010 NFL draft.

Rolle took into consideration that the delay could force his draft status to drop.

"That definitely came into the decision as well. But I feel that my skills and my talent will surface once I go to the combine next year and continue to work out to stay in shape and continue on with the same path as I was at Florida State," Rolle told McKendry.

Rolle, from Galloway, N.J., got his undergraduate degree in pre-med after two and a half years and has been taking graduate courses at Florida State this year.

After his NFL career, Rolle has said he plans to attend medical school and then open a clinic for the needy in the Bahamas.

"I want to be a neurosurgeon," Rolle told ESPN's Joe Schad in November. "And I want to help impoverished nations build up their vaccination programs. I think in many poor countries, vaccination programs and mental health programs are wrongly pushed aside."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

snowspot66
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Kid will do great things. Earn his living playing ball and spend his life helping people.

ludo21
01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Can a team draft him this year and wait for him to come to them next year or is he not eligible at all?

ward63
01-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Being a coach and somebody big on academics, this is the story of the year IMO. I know it's an early year, but IMO it is kind of like Tillman. I'm not saying that it's as important as what Pat did, but it shows that there is more to life than sports. You can be a great player, but you can also do other great things!

Dukes
01-13-2009, 09:08 PM
This guy is amazing. Rome had him on a couple months ago, he sounds more like a nuclear physicist than a football player. Good for him.

goldengopher1976
01-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Being a coach and somebody big on academics, this is the story of the year IMO. I know it's an early year, but IMO it is kind of like Tillman. I'm not saying that it's as important as what Pat did, but it shows that there is more to life than sports. You can be a great player, but you can also do other great things!

I agree wholeheartedly. In an age where many athletes shun the word "rolemodel", here is an example of a young man (who also happens to be a world-class athlete) who has embraced all the implications of his talent and intellect. Barack Obama is hailed as an example for other people of color. Myron Rolle belongs in the same paragraph (if not sentence).

BroncoMan4ever
01-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Good for him. from everything i have seen about him, he seems like a really good dude.
if his stock does fall, some team is going to get a steal

AbileneBroncoFan
01-13-2009, 11:02 PM
We should push off drafting a big time safety this year. With Rolle, Mays, and possibly Berry in next years draft, we would have an almost certain shot at getting one of them regardless of where our first round pick falls.

Broncoman13
01-14-2009, 04:48 AM
As long as we get Atogwe then I'm all for waiting. In fact, I think between OJ and JB we'd be set!

snowspot66
01-14-2009, 05:37 AM
I think addressing safety in FA is a pretty good and safe route. They come the cheapest of pretty much all the positions don't they?

Requiem
01-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Great for Myron. He's my buddy.

no-pseudo-fan
01-14-2009, 08:26 AM
This is an awesome story, and should get more press. It can not be easy to pass on that kind of money to do something for others. Rolle is the next Leon Battista Alberti. Way to go!!!!!

ro_50
01-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Totally agree. It's like that NCAA commercial states "a lot of us go pro in something other than sports."

Talk about an impressive kid this Rolle appears to be.

To balance football and academics like that is impressive and look at what he wants to do w/ his medical education, helping others.

chickennob2
01-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Questionable decision. One year at Oxford ain't med school. Sure it's a great opportunity, but I seriously doubt he will be better able to "help people" by studying for a year at Oxford. After this year, he will be no closer to finishing med school. And he will be very hard pressed to maintain his skill level working out by himself in a country that doesn't even play the damn sport. Basically he's valuing the experience of going to Oxford and getting the honor of being a Rhodes Scholar above an extra year of making millions in the NFL. He WILL hurt his draft stock by sitting out a year. If you want to help people, don't forfeit a year and your draft stock (millions of dollars) for the title of Rhodes Scholar and one year of education that won't bring you any closer to your MD. Go pro, make as much money as you can, and then use that money to help people.

ElwayMD
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
This is an excellent decision...getting to study at the Master's level at Oxford is more rare than being drafted into the NFL. This is even more "once in a lifetime" than being an NFL player. I'm glad at least one student athlete is putting his studies before the sport.

elsid13
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Questionable decision. One year at Oxford ain't med school. Sure it's a great opportunity, but I seriously doubt he will be better able to "help people" by studying for a year at Oxford. After this year, he will be no closer to finishing med school. And he will be very hard pressed to maintain his skill level working out by himself in a country that doesn't even play the damn sport. Basically he's valuing the experience of going to Oxford and getting the honor of being a Rhodes Scholar above an extra year of making millions in the NFL. He WILL hurt his draft stock by sitting out a year. If you want to help people, don't forfeit a year and your draft stock (millions of dollars) for the title of Rhodes Scholar and one year of education that won't bring you any closer to your MD. Go pro, make as much money as you can, and then use that money to help people.

There is limited community of Rhodes Scholars in the US. The connection and networking he will get will ensure that he will be far more successful then playing football. He will make far more money by doing this then going to NFL team. With time at Oxford and the Rhodes Scholarship he will be able to go anywhere he wants for Med School. Beside he is going to get his Master in Bio Chem which will further his career as neurosurgeon like he wants.

ward63
01-16-2009, 07:22 PM

I am a HUGE football fan like us all, but I hate how some people think that football is life. I hate how some kids graduate high school, go to college on an athletic scholarship, take some cupcake class to graduate and potentially make it to the pros. Some will make it big in the pros, but most of them won't. This shows me that somebody is finally having academics come before sports. I am a jr. high coach and preach that to all of my players. You can only play sports for so long, but an education will last you a lifetime!

Mediator12
01-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Ah, a case for pragmatism at its finest.

Well, the NFL will wait, but a Rhodes Scholarship will not. I love this decision, because it is way more marketable than being the 4th best safety in this class. He will always be the player who valued more than football, when he could have chosen the easy route and just gone pro.

He is also graduating a year early and is supposed to go pro next year anyway. He is just not playing for FSU next year. So what? I am a FSU fan and I think the world of this kid setting this kind of example for that school. Will it hurt his draft stock, maybe. However, this kid is a natural talent and he will be fine when he comes out.

Drek
01-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Ah, a case for pragmatism at its finest.

Well, the NFL will wait, but a Rhodes Scholarship will not. I love this decision, because it is way more marketable than being the 4th best safety in this class. He will always be the player who valued more than football, when he could have chosen the easy route and just gone pro.

He is also graduating a year early and is supposed to go pro next year anyway. He is just not playing for FSU next year. So what? I am a FSU fan and I think the world of this kid setting this kind of example for that school. Will it hurt his draft stock, maybe. However, this kid is a natural talent and he will be fine when he comes out.

That was something I think a lot of people miss in this story.

Could he have gone straight to the pros? Sure. But the fact that he graduated in only 2 1/2 years means he can afford to spend a year on his Masters and that he really isn't sacrificing years off his career like a 4th year grad who wasn't already taking grad courses and was looking at a 2 year masters program would be.

He'll be 23 come next year's draft and I'm sure he'll hire himself an all world conditioning coach so that he can crush the combine. He's done enough on the football field to establish himself as a legitimate player, his stock won't be hurt that badly. So he projects as a middle 3rd to early 4th instead of a middle second to early 3rd prospect. Its not going to change the kind of career he could have unless he completely lets himself go when at Oxford, and I really don't see that happening.