PDA

View Full Version : I'm listening to Rush 2112 in it's entirety!!!

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
On my Pod and I've had NO Absinthe, but a beer doesnt hurt!;D

Popps
01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
...and the meek shall inherit the earth.....

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Geddy is wicked good in this sequence man!!

Rulon Velvet Jones
I may drop a little Dark Side Of The Moon.

Man-Goblin
Good drummer. You, malcontent.

BroncoBuff
I'm eating chocolate ice cream.... it's Walgreens Old Fashioned Dutch Chocolate ... and I'M LOVING IT!

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Why cannot music be this way again? HOGAN?

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 07:39 PM

hence recording music... you get it over and over...;)

Sodak
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I might like Rush a bit more if Geddy Lee didn't sound like Tiny Tim.

What a fag.

Hogan11
01-13-2009, 07:41 PM

It's still out there, you just gotta seek it out now.

loborugger
01-13-2009, 07:43 PM
We've taken care of everything
the words read, the songs you sing
the pictures thats implanted to your eyes
its one for all - all for one
we work together til its done
never need to wonder how or why

Sounds like the utopia we are currently working towards - yippee!

Malcontent
It's still out there, you just gotta seek it out now.

Thank you...I shall retire to my quarters and seek the magic you speak of..

Hogan11
I might like Rush a bit more if Geddy Lee didn't sound like Tiny Tim.

What a fag.

My fave description of his voice was Donald Duck crossed with a vaccum cleaner Ha! No matter, Rush always was a bit more humane than most bands of their ilk..maybe because they were always a bit more melodic than the usual fare of the genre.

Northman
Moving Pictures or Bust.

Hogan11
01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you...I shall retire to my quarters and seek the magic you speak of..

The probe is the thing.

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Moving Pictures or Bust.

NEWBIE!!!! get him!!

Sodak
01-13-2009, 07:48 PM
My fave description of his voice was Donald Duck crossed with a vaccum cleaner Ha! No matter, Rush always was a bit more humane than most bands of their ilk..maybe because they were always a bit more melodic than the usual fare of the genre.

I read somewhere that he actually raised his singing voice an octave because it "sounded better" in the mix when recorded.

A bit shrill if you asked me. Sorta reminds me of that Prima Donna who sang for Styx. **Shudder**

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 07:48 PM
The probe is the thing.

i just finished listening to Frank Black and the Catholics... epic good stuff...:thumbs:

Sodak
01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
i just finished listening to Frank Black and the Catholics... epic good stuff...:thumbs:

Never hear 'em. But I LOVE the Pixies.

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Meh...I've moved on to Allman Bros "Back where it all began" Just amazing.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Meh...I've moved on to Allman Bros "Back where it all began" Just amazing.

yah, good stuff, but ancient too... i saw the allman brothers live at red rcks years ago, great show...

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Never hear 'em. But I LOVE the Pixies.

I like this stuff more than pixies...

SouthStndJunkie
01-13-2009, 07:56 PM
2112....excellent choice.

'A Passage To Bangkok' is my favorite Rush song.

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
yah, good stuff, but ancient too... i saw the allman brothers live at red rcks years ago, great show...

Wow...that sounds incredible...I miss living up there and having RR at my disposal for such great classic bands...Saw Clapton in 82 and he is still playing the solo for "White Room".

Hogan11
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I read somewhere that he actually raised his singing voice an octave because it "sounded better" in the mix when recorded.

A bit shrill if you asked me. Sorta reminds me of that Prima Donna who sang for Styx. **Shudder**

Oh God....just the mere mention of Styx makes my skin crawl.

I'm still pounding some ancient Hawkwind myself....a faster, more spaced out Pre-Meddle Pink Floyd featuring Pre-Motorhead Lemmy. Sounds great on the car stereo when I'm driving home at night thru snow showers.

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM

I'm still pounding some ancient Hawkwind myself....a faster, more spaced out Pre-Meddle Pink Floyd featuring Pre-Motorhead Lemmy. Sounds great on the car stereo when I'm driving home at night thru snow showers.

Oh how I wish I had your Ipod contents Hogan...

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow...that sounds incredible...I miss living up there and having RR at my disposal for such great classic bands...Saw Clapton in 82 and he is still playing the solo for "White Room".

dude, I saw clapton round that time too, his behind the sun tour!!

loborugger
01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Deep Purple - Lazy

I think its their best tune.

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
dude, I saw clapton round that time too, his behind the sun tour!!

Hey. If someone in a blue swaetshirt yakked on your shoes..It wasnt me man..

Sodak
01-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Well, I like PF Meddle and Motorhead. Early 70's?

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey..anyone like early Michael Schencker stuff?

loborugger
01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
His earliest stuff was with his brother Rudy in the Scorpions.

Sodak
01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I like this stuff more than pixies...

Excellent. I'm listening to it now. Thank you.

The only thing missing is Joey Santiago's guitar noises. He's got to be one of the most unique guitarists around.

I didn't know Frank was doing much lately aside from the Pixies reunion a couple years ago. Guess I don't follow my faves too closely.

Malcontent
01-13-2009, 08:11 PM
His earliest stuff was with his brother Rudy in the Scorpions.

Clarification...solo MSG stuff....he had some really good albums there before he got a bit crazy.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey. If someone in a blue swaetshirt yakked on your shoes..It wasnt me man..

No sweat, whoever that dude was, he was feeling no pain...

Los Broncos
01-13-2009, 08:21 PM
My body is hammered after only a week at the gym, didn't realize I was this out of shape.

I listen to the Madden soundtrack during workouts, it does something to keep me going.

Spider
01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I am sitting here @ Dads truckstop exit 113 in Idaho reading about you listening to rush 2112 ;D

Los Broncos
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I am sitting here @ Dads truckstop exit 113 in Idaho reading about you listening to rush 2112 ;D

You haul up through Tonopah ever?

Spider
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
You haul up through Tonopah ever?;D No but been close

broncosteven
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm eating chocolate ice cream.... it's Walgreens Old Fashioned Dutch Chocolate ... and I'M LOVING IT!

I just finished my nightly Guitar practice.

I was working on the Richard Pick arrangement of Sarabande & Double by Bach.

My head hurts I was checking in here to see if the Broncos hired a DC yet.

BTW I never was a big 2112 guy but Villa Strangiato off Hemispheres has some killer guitar work.

broncosteven
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM

I worked with a guy who was into anything the Schencker bros put out. He was big into Gary Moore also. Kinda odd combo I thought.

R8R H8R
01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Yea, I liked him with UFO. Lights out in London, Rock Bottom, Love to Love You, all great stuff. I saw them open for Rush many years ago; if I remember right, and I could be wrong because I was incredibly drunk and stoned and it was about 30 yrs. ago, but Schenker always played a flying V guitar. :peace:

Los Broncos
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
;D No but been close

Back a while when I lived in Utah, I would ride with my uncle Terry up through there.

Long lonely road for sure, nothing around.

Spider
01-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Back a while when I lived in Utah, I would ride with my uncle Terry up through there.

Long lonely road for sure, nothing around. closest I been to there is Fallon

Los Broncos
01-13-2009, 09:20 PM
closest I been to there is Fallon

Ever call someone a bitch there?

Spider
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Ever call someone a b**** there?

Knowing me .......... Yeah once or twice ;D

Hogan11
01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Well, I like PF Meddle and Motorhead. Early 70's?

Early 70's was the heyday, yes. Maybe the pre-Meddle Pink Floyd comparison is a little misleading, but it was psychedelic space rock. It was much more riff driven and faster than anything Floyd ever did (although "Interstellar Overdrive" comes close to the Hawkwind sound I would say) It also has a lot of goofy, extremely dated poetry passages that are as embarassing as anything put out by the Moody Blues (remember that "Breath deep, the gathering gloom.." crap at the end of "Nights In White Satin"? That's what I mean) Fortunately, the music more than makes up for that stuff.

I was looking around for a YouTube clip and only found "Silver Machine" which IMHO, is a vastly inferior song and not a very good representation. Go to Amazon and check out some waves of Space Ritual Live for the real deal (the ones for that album on YouTube are screwed up soundwise). I think it's one of the great live albums of all time and their highpoint. The expanded version is perferred by me since it contains the protopunk "Urban Guerilla" which got them banned in 1973.

Malcontent
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Early 70's was the heyday, yes. Maybe the pre-Meddle Pink Floyd comparison is a little misleading, but it was psychedelic space rock. It was much more riff driven and faster than anything Floyd ever did (although "Interstellar Overdrive" comes close to the Hawkwind sound I would say) It also has a lot of goofy, extremely dated poetry passages that are as embarassing as anything put out by the Moody Blues (remember that "Breath deep, the gathering gloom.." crap at the end of "Nights In White Satin"? That's what I mean) Fortunately, the music more than makes up for that stuff.

I was looking around for a YouTube clip and only found "Silver Machine" which IMHO, is a vastly inferior song and not a very good representation. Go to Amazon and check out some waves of Space Ritual Live for the real deal (the ones for that album on YouTube are screwed up soundwise). I think it's one of the great live albums of all time and their highpoint. The expanded version is perferred by me since it contains the protopunk "Urban Guerilla" which got them banned in 1973.

Ay Hogues..we know you're smart and all, but......

WTF are you talking about you music snob! ;D

DivineLegion
01-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Great song

Geddy Lee is totaly underrated as a bassest.

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Ay Hogues..we know you're smart and all, but......

WTF are you talking about you music snob! ;D

he's talking about the greatest decade for rock and roll THE 1970s!

Malcontent
01-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Great song

Yep..2112 is a great song, and Pink Floyd is also a pretty good musician in his own right.:thumbsup:

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Great song

yep.

Rush is just a righteous band... saw them live at McNichols when I was a kid...