PDA

View Full Version : Piloi AND Spagnuolo in KC?

broncofan7
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

PIOLI HIRED BY CHIEFS
Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 13, 2009, 3:53 p.m.
New England Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli has been hired as the Kansas City Chiefs’ new general manager to replace Carl Peterson, according to reports from ESPN’s Michael Smith and NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

Smith reports that Pioli’s arrival will definitely spell the departure of Chiefs coach Herm Edwards and could lead to New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo as Edwards’ replacement.
The National Football Post has also reported that Pioli has accepted Chiefs owner Clark Hunt’s offer.

Smith also reported for ESPN that Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio will take Pioli’s old job in New England.

YUCK.

tsiguy96
01-13-2009, 01:35 PM
thats brutal....

no-pseudo-fan
Well.....

Kaylore
Just firing Herm is big loss for everyone in the AFC west not wearing Red. Spags? I'm not sure. We interviewed him and turned him down. That says something... But again, bailing on Herm alone is bad news for all Broncos, Raiders and Chargers.

tsiguy96
01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Just firing Herm is big loss for everyone in the AFC west not wearing Red. Spags? I'm not sure. We interviewed him and turned him down. That says something...

im not sure we didnt hire him because he wasnt qualified, more like pat and co felt mcdaniels would be a better influence on cutler and hire a qualified DC to run that side of the ball...

ludo21
01-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Chiefs will be good (average is good for them) one day again, it was inevitable.

I dont know if this is what does it, but whatever. Spags was turned away here, I trust Pat's decision no matter how much I hated the shanny firing.

chrisp
01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Look on the bright side - Spags v McDaniels could be Shanahan v schottenheimer mark II.....

If you look at the historical identity of both franchises he's a better fit for them than he is for us. I'm all for change but I also think a degree of continuity is always sensible.

Having said that Spags was my original favourite. I was convinced before the hire was announced, however, that the choice of mcdaniels had some real merit. Neither guy, however, is a slam-dunk certainty to be a great HC so please come down off the ledge those of you who wanted spags and no-one else to be OUR new HC...

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
im not sure we didnt hire him because he wasnt qualified, more like pat and co felt mcdaniels would be a better influence on cutler and hire a qualified DC to run that side of the ball...

Then the Chiefs better hope that McDaniels is the greatest coach of time and space.

SouthStndJunkie
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Sloppy seconds.

PRBronco
01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Ahh that explains why Spags didn't get the job here.

He must hate winning.

BroncoBuff
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Hope not ....

Broncomutt
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
The AFC West might become a respectable division once again.

SoDak Bronco
01-13-2009, 01:46 PM
should be a good hire.

Drek
01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
If KC is looking to hire Spags they better get on the ball damn quick, the Jets aren't too far from locking him up I'm betting.

broncofan7
01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
If KC is looking to hire Spags they better get on the ball damn quick, the Jets aren't too far from locking him up I'm betting.

Rumor is the NYJ are hot after Rex Ryan.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Spagnuolo is too smart to go there. Might as well sit out the HC gig another year or take a job somewhere else.

SlipperyPete
01-13-2009, 01:53 PM

If Spags is close to getting locked up by the Jets, then Pioli didn't want him in the first place. A guy like that doesn't decide to branch out without all his ducks in a row. He knows exactly who his coach is going to be.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I really think the deck was stack for McDaniels before the process started. I think Spags was in a very tough spot having multiple interviews in a short span while still prepping for the playoffs. With a good GM and plenty of cap room, I bet Spags will do very well in KC (given time).

BuckinKaeding
01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
The AFC West might become a respectable division once again.

Theres a bunch of people that live below the Mason-Dixon line who believe "The South will Rise Once Again" as well.

This division will be **** for at least another 2-3 years.

When the Chargers fall off the top, I suspect the other 3 teams will compete for Division championships every year.

TheReverend
01-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Then the Chiefs better hope that McDaniels is the greatest coach of time and space.

I'm pretty sure Alpha Centuari has some bad ass coaches. I hear they're pretty heavy into the ZBS.

BroncoMan4ever
honestly, i am glad that the Chiefs are going to become competitive again. games are more fun to watch when th Chiefs and Raiders are good. SD doesn't matter either way.

i want the division back to the way it used to be where the Broncos Raiders and Chiefs battled all year long for the division, made the games so much more fun.

TheReverend
Spagnuolo is too smart to go there. Might as well sit out the HC gig another year or take a job somewhere else.

Smart people advance in their careers in a timely manner.

Broncoman13
01-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Jets want Rex Ryan

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Smart people advance in their careers in a timely manner.

Not when it involves the Chiefs.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Alpha Centuari has some bad ass coaches. I hear they're pretty heavy into the ZBS.

Yeah and they put a premium on nutrition and weight management.

watermock
01-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Spags is the bigger hire. Pioli is ok imo.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Well spags hasn't been hired. So really Pioli is the bigger hire.

watermock
01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
honestly, i am glad that the Chiefs are going to become competitive again. games are more fun to watch when th Chiefs and Raiders are good. SD doesn't matter either way.

i want the division back to the way it used to be where the Broncos Raiders and Chiefs battled all year long for the division, made the games so much more fun.

Considering we split with all 3..and go against the NFC north next year...

dunno, my feeling were we put everything into defense this year and would of been contenders.

We could of gotten Nolan w/o dumping shanny.

watermock
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Well spags hasn't been hired. So really Pioli is the bigger hire.

I disagree, we needed defense/DC and a durable RB.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I disagree, we needed defense/DC and a durable RB.

No actually we needed a Head Coach because ours got fired. KC has a head coach. See you hire a coach based on how he will run the team as a whole not one unit. A lot of people seem to forget that. McDaniel, I think, has a great plan. We just have to be patient and see it unfold.

Cito Pelon
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Sloppy seconds.

That's just plain nasty. If Spags gets the KC HC job it sure will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Peoples Champ
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Man,

I was hoping Herm would stay there so the chiefs would suck forever.

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I was starting to think Herm would stay one more yr.

watermock
01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
No actually we needed a Head Coach because ours got fired. KC has a head coach. See you hire a coach based on how he will run the team as a whole not one unit. A lot of people seem to forget that. McDaniel, I think, has a great plan. We just have to be patient and see it unfold.

Oh, it's going to unfold allright....

watermock
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
See you hire a coach based on how he will run the team as a whole not one unit. A lot of people seem to forget that.

When has our 32 y/o coach done that?

Granted, he's studied defense too.

KC has a head coach

Not for long.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah I just feel it will unfold great. You are just writing him off without a chance. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Only time will tell.

broncofan7
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
We could of gotten Nolan w/o dumping shanny.

Isn't the main rumor of what led to his demise is that Shanny wasn't going to get rid of Slowik--so we had to fire Shanny in order to change our DC.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Isn't the main rumor of what led to his demise is that Shanny wasn't going to get rid of Slowik--so we had to fire Shanny in order to change our DC.

Exactly Mock just keep throwing around that all we had to do was switch DC's. Guess what Shanahan said nothing is changing, even after his DC said he had no answers. I am pretty sure Bowlen let that figure into his decision as he should have.

TheReverend
01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
"
• Just trying to put two and two together, but it would seem to me that McDaniels getting hired in Denver somehow helps his AFC West rival Herm Edwards' chances of surviving another year as Kansas City's coach.
With McDaniels, the former Patriots offensive coordinator, off the job market, maybe potential Chiefs general manager hire Scott Pioli wouldn't be as inclined to make an immediate coaching change. Then again, maybe Edwards remains because Pioli wouldn't be as inclined to take the Chiefs GM job if he can't bring in McDaniels as his head coach."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/13/coaches/1.html

crazyhorse
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
According to Shanahan, he walked into Bowlens office, Bowlen said we're going in another direction and that was the extent of Bowlens converstaion with Shanahan. All this Shanahan refused to go along with Bowlensw wishes is all just wishful thinking. If Bowlen wanted to let Slowick go, then he walks up to Slowick and says "we're going in another direction", and that would have been the extent of that conversation. If Shanahan didn't like that then he had every right to resign. It would be foolish to dump a head coach when all you have to do is fire the DC to get rid of the DC. Shanahan was fired because Bowlen thinks he can do better at head coach. It's that simple.

Shanahan was fired, not Slowick.

KC Paul
01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Ahh that explains why Spags didn't get the job here.

He must hate winning.
I'm guessing that Spags didn't hate shutting down McDaniels' offense in a rather important game last February too much. :wiggle:

tsiguy96
01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm guessing that Spags didn't hate shutting down McDaniels' offense in a rather important game last February too much. :wiggle:

wait til you sign him before you talk **** ;)

KC Paul
01-13-2009, 10:02 PM
wait til you sign him before you talk **** ;)
That's what I do BEST, buddy.....:thumbsup:

Paladin
01-13-2009, 10:14 PM
The new "Black and Blue" Division?

ScottXray
01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
According to Shanahan, he walked into Bowlens office, Bowlen said we're going in another direction and that was the extent of Bowlens converstaion with Shanahan. All this Shanahan refused to go along with Bowlensw wishes is all just wishful thinking. If Bowlen wanted to let Slowick go, then he walks up to Slowick and says "we're going in another direction", and that would have been the extent of that conversation. If Shanahan didn't like that then he had every right to resign. It would be foolish to dump a head coach when all you have to do is fire the DC to get rid of the DC. Shanahan was fired because Bowlen thinks he can do better at head coach. It's that simple.

Shanahan was fired, not Slowick.

Yep , except Bowlen has never interefered with the day to day aspect of the team. If shanny wanted Slowik to stay Pat would have either said "OK, You're the HC, GM." Or said " we're going in a different direction".

Slowik is gone , as are most Bronco coaches, now. The wind sock says
--------> this way to a new direction!

He chose the latter. And maybe in a year or two or never will we know how he really made his decision or what really prompted it..

LongDongJohnson
01-13-2009, 10:55 PM
who cares who the chiefs get. they still have brodie croyle or tyler thigpen as their qb. their offense is still crappy as hell.

ill start worrying about KC when they get some real players

watermock
01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
According to Shanahan, he walked into Bowlens office, Bowlen said we're going in another direction and that was the extent of Bowlens converstaion with Shanahan.

link?

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
People need to remember that when given different players coaches will have to tweak there systems. Also after a yr or 2 of film you have to adapt because other teams will find holes in your offense or defense.

Teams in your division will work to acquire players in spots you have been exploiting them at.

IMO McDaniels will be a good creative guy who will find a way to make it work in Denver.

Crushaholic
01-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Don't be surprised to see Pioli keep Edwards if there is an honest evaluation. The Chiefs played very well in the back half of the season. They just didn't get the job completed when the scoreboard read 0:00...

Traveler
01-14-2009, 08:00 AM
We interviewed him and turned him down. That says something...

Like maybe defense is still not a priority or Spagnuolo just didn't interview well. Guess we'll never know.

crazyhorse
01-14-2009, 08:43 AM
link?

It's all in the Bowlen press conference. He said specifically that he let Shanahan go because he wasn't winning enough games. Said he wanted a coach who could come in and win a SB. Said it was time to try something new.

He said nothing that would indicate there was an issue with control. Other than he had full control of the organization. One who has full control of thier organization has the ability to fire any coach.

Do you folks really think that an owner doesn't have the capacity to walk up to Slowick and say I'm letting you go?

I would like to see a link that would even suggest that it was anything other than performance based. Anything that would suggest that Slowick was the issue. Pat Bowlen said it was Shanahan. Do you have a better source?

TonyR
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Like maybe defense is still not a priority or Spagnuolo just didn't interview well. Guess we'll never know.

Just because we didn't hire a DC to be HC doesn't mean that defense isn't a "priority". I think actions over the next several months will prove out that improving the defense is a high priority.

Clearly they liked McDaniels better and thought he was a better fit. That doesn't say anything at all negative about Spagnuolo.

KC Paul
01-14-2009, 10:09 PM
who cares who the chiefs get. they still have brodie croyle or tyler thigpen as their qb. their offense is still crappy as hell.
Actually it wasn't too bad towards the end of the season- Thigpen actually ended up with 18TDs (shocked the hell outta me too).
ill start worrying about KC when they get some real players
That's why we got Pioli in here....better start worrying NOW. :P