PDA

View Full Version : Was This Inevitable?

Killericon
01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Personally, I think that even with a horrific playoff showing, Shanahan would still be around.

(Poll coming)

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I think it would have taken a playoff win.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I think Slowik saying he had no answers and then Shanahan saying he was coming back and there would be no change on defense were the death knell. If We get into and win one playoff game maybe not.

Hotrod
01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I think we will never know

frerottenextelway
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Would depend on Pat's ''gut'' at the moment.

oubronco
01-13-2009, 12:33 PM
one word

SLOWICK

BroncoBuff
01-13-2009, 01:02 PM
one word

SLOWICK
Exactly ... and Peyton would've embarassed our defense much as Rivers did.

In the wake of this, Bowlen would've asked Shanahan for a new defen-sieve staff. Mike might've agreed, and thus saved his job.

cmhargrove
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Exactly ... and Peyton would've embarassed our defense much as Rivers did.

In the wake of this, Bowlen would've asked Shanahan for a new defensive staff. Mike might've agreed, and thus saved his job.

Agreed, the Colts would have destroyed us again. Then, if Shanny stood by Slowik, it would have still happened.

Popps
01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
No, had Shanahan's team not folded like a cheap tent... he'd still have a job. (Deserved or not.)

But, as with the past few years... epic fail at year's end.

Winning 1 playoff game in a decade tells you all you need to know. It wasn't "inevitable," but that's sort of an abstract way to look at it.

This team needed change... and got it.

Killericon
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
No, had Shanahan's team not folded like a cheap tent... he'd still have a job. (Deserved or not.)

But, as with the past few years... epic fail at year's end.

Winning 1 playoff game in a decade tells you all you need to know. It wasn't "inevitable," but that's sort of an abstract way to look at it.

This team needed change... and got it.

We have enough threads about "SHOULD it have happened?", I wanted one about "WOULD it have?".

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I think it would have happened if they lost the final 2 games after beating Buffalo. Especially if it was another embarrassing loss.

TheReverend
01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Depends on how hard Bowlen is hitting the bottle on any given day

:)

OBF1
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
IF.....

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. Why do so many still dwell on the past??? Lets move forward and start enjoying the future that is now.

Pick Six
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I think Bowlen heard a lot of grumbling about our defense. Would Shanahan still be fired if we had made a playoff appearance? I said yes, but it's a tossup. On one hand, Shanahan and Bowlen formed what I believe to be a genuine friendship. On the other hand, Bowlen wants to to win Super Bowls. Our defense wasn't close to being Super Bowl-ready. Even the vaunted offense faltered as the season progressed...