PDA

View Full Version : Casey Wiegmann might Retire

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2009, 12:02 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1342

Don't think I've ever seen this posted even though it's a few weeks old, so here you go...

Hell, I just found out about it on my own.

Broncos C Casey Wiegmann says he is considering retirement.

Wiegmann can still play, but turns 36 before next season and wants to see what his family thinks. He was one of Denver's most pleasant surprises in 2008, manhandling some of the better nose guards in the league.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Nobody likes a quitter, Casey. Ask Tomlinson.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Nobody likes a quitter, Casey. Ask Tomlinson.

Ha!

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah this was posted several times about a month or so ago but it got burried in the Mane Meltdown drama of 08/09. I for one hope he makes another run!

Man-Goblin
01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
So, do we need a center or is Lichtensteiger the guy?

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Lichtensteiger is supposed to be the future. So that future may be nearer than anticipated.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
So, do we need a center or is Lichtensteiger the guy?

I don't know anymore. I'm not sure how Lichtensteiger will do in a man scheme. I thought he was a year away but I think he is the future. He's incredibly intelligent and plays with a mean streak. He has short arms but he's fast off the ball and plays with a motor. He's really good but he's a bit small. I wonder about all our small guys, actually.

SouthStndJunkie
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Wiegmann wants to come back....he just wants more money than he made last year....and he probably deserves a boost in pay on a one or two year deal.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't know anymore. I'm not sure how Lichtensteiger will do in a man scheme. I thought he was a year away but I think he is the future. He's incredibly intelligent and plays with a mean streak. He has short arms but he's fast off the ball and plays with a motor. He's really good but he's a bit small. I wonder about all our small guys, actually.
295-300? Seems about right. I liked what I've read on him so far.

Popps
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Please no.

Hotrod
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Well thank goodness we dont have very many holes to fill so we should be fine.

:nono:

socalorado
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Baron Von Lichtenstein is a Jeff Saturday clone, we'll be fine.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
295-300? Seems about right. I liked what I've read on him so far.

He's probably actually closer to 290, though centers can be a bit smaller so you're probably right. One of the best decisions the Goodman's made was they started drafting 300lb linemen. :strong:

frerottenextelway
01-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Clady may be our only OLman that fits what McDaniels wants going forward. Definetly going to have to draft there, we were aleady thin anyways.

Houshyamama
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Clady may be our only OLman that fits what McDaniels wants going forward. Definetly going to have to draft there, we were aleady thin anyways.

I have a feeling Harris will fit in just fine.

gyldenlove
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I really hope he stays, his performance this year confirms that he is still the man.

cmhargrove
01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I think they convince him to stay another year.

If not it would be an area of concern in the draft. But, I think Lichtenstiger fits the attitude of the team, and should only be better with a season under his belt.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Clady, Harris and Kuper are 300+ and have frames to get bigger if need be. Also they're all very talented and you don't let that go. They're fine.

Center and Hamilton are the concern. Hamilton is ideal for a zone scheme but not so much for man scheme. We'll see.

Broncoman13
01-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Clady, Harris and Kuper are 300+ and have frames to get bigger if need be. Also they're all very talented and you don't let that go. They're fine.

Center and Hamilton are the concern. Hamilton is ideal for a zone scheme but not so much for man scheme. We'll see.

Hamilton is the one I'm most concerned with as well. There is a wildcard in all of this, everybody is assuming that we will ditch the zone blocking scheme. That's not necessarily true. Even if we were to bring in Davidson as the OC, that doesn't mean we will ditch what we have established. On the pass pro side, I'm pretty sure McD is okay with what is in place right now... he can run his offense with the amount of protection Cutler gets!

I don't want Weigman to retire either... but it might be the best thing for our future if he does. Unger and (my fav) Alex Mack would immediately be on the board for us this year. Alex Mack is a beast. Great size, strong as heck, and super smart. A pair of bookends and a center for the next 10 years is what we're talking about here. The results could be choppy next year, but given the success of Clady and Harris in their first years starting... who knows!

Drek
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

He played mostly in a man scheme in college if I recall, snapping from the shotgun. He was also considered the strongest center in his class coming out.

His biggest question for us was his mobility for the ZBS, if we don't run that then he's a pretty damn good fit for the spread formations McDaniels will likely have us running.

broncocalijohn
01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Wiegmann wants to come back....he just wants more money than he made last year....and he probably deserves a boost in pay on a one or two year deal.

I completely agree on this. One thing we never had to worry about this last season was the Oline. A good veteran holding down the fort is worth another year or two. Putting most effort into the defense is such a huge priority that I would like to think that our QB, wideouts and OLine are all solid for 2009 season.

Inkana7
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Both New Engld with McDaniels and Carolina with Davidson ran a ton of Zone Blocking. No need to panic.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd love for Casey to come back for one more year

Mountain Bronco
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I didn't realize pass protection was an issue this year, considering we gave up one of the fewest sack totals in the league. Jesus people calm it down.

ludo21
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Dont leave Casey!! 1 more song!!!

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 03:10 PM
He played mostly in a man scheme in college if I recall, snapping from the shotgun. He was also considered the strongest center in his class coming out.

His biggest question for us was his mobility for the ZBS, if we don't run that then he's a pretty damn good fit for the spread formations McDaniels will likely have us running.

Good to know.

elsid13
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM

NE runs a ZBS, why wouldn't McDaniel continue that in Denver when bring "his" offense in???

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 03:26 PM
NE runs a ZBS, why wouldn't McDaniel continue that in Denver when bring "his" offense in???

Isn't it a hybrid of Zone man? It's not a straight zone like ours.

elsid13
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Isn't it a hybrid of Zone man? It's not a straight zone like ours.

no it a straight zone like ours in the running game.

This is when they first shifted. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/08/05/getting_a_read_on_the_situation/

And there is another article out there from the Globe or Herald that talks about how the basically ran ZBS all year.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
no it a straight zone like ours in the running game.

This is when they first shifted. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/08/05/getting_a_read_on_the_situation/

And there is another article out there from the Globe or Herald that talks about how the basically ran ZBS all year.

Well -Slap- won't be happy. :rofl:

elsid13
01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
this talks about a little more http://internet128.com/index.php/2007/09/28/dont-call-new-england-patriots-left-tackle-matt-light-a-meanderer/

Rohirrim
01-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Three degrees of separation:
Broncos could use a top grade center.
Nolan comes in.
Nolan is a UofOregon alum.
UofOregon center is...
Max Unger.
Make it so. ;D