PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays returning to USC... (M)

bpc
01-13-2009, 06:58 AM
http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2009/1/13/719229/taylor-mays-returning-for

Well, damn. That was the guy I wanted.

lex
01-13-2009, 07:11 AM
There are other good safeties. Rounds 2-3 is kind of the sweet spot for Ss this year, anyway. I know socalorado is probably getting a stiff drink now, though.

socalorado
01-13-2009, 07:17 AM
There are other good safeties. Rounds 2-3 is kind of the sweet spot for Ss this year, anyway. I know socalorado is probably getting a stiff drink now, though.

REY REY LEX, REY REY is who i want! Considering we are about to emark on a 3-4 extravanganza!

And OJ Atogwe of course!

Rohirrim
01-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Ha! I knew Mom would win. Mays' Dad said it was cool with him if Taylor went pro and Mom was saying she wanted him to finish and get his degree. You pretty much knew how that was going to turn out.

Hallside
01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I wanted him too. Next year will be a banner year for elite safeties.

SouthStndJunkie
01-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I figured Mays was going to declare for sure.

Hotrod
01-13-2009, 08:24 AM

I guess this is good since we would not go S in the 1st anyway.

PRBronco
01-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Good, maybe now he can actually accumulate some stats worth talking about and I'll be able to buy into his hype next year like every one else.

illbroncsfn
01-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Somewhat disappointing for us- work on those instincts Taylor!

bpc
01-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I got Everette Brown as my clear #1 but probably the best case scenario is for us to trade back, try and land Will Moore and another top notch DL or edge rushing OLB.

I love Paul Kruger. I would take that dude or Tyson Jackson in a heartbeat.

A trade with Philly would make a lot of sense. They get a top notch playmaker like Maclin, we can pick up a plethora of defensive prospects.

rugbythug
01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
I want the other saftey from USC. Said to be a Film Study geek. That is what you need to be successful.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
That really sucks. I thought he was our guy.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I wanted him too. Next year will be a banner year for elite safeties.

Eric Berry is pretty tempting. Playmaker in the Ed Reed mold.

Drek
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I wonder if his decision to go back has anything to do with wanting to actually develop and be ready for the NFL? That'd be nice.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
That settles it. We must trade down. Unless Maualuga has a superb workout running the 40, there is no one that we can pick at 12 that we won't be able to get comparable talent to in the 20s or even the second round. If we can't trade down, don't count out Knowshon Moreno...I have been against taking a first round running back all along, but if no one is willing to trade into our spot, we need to take someone that we KNOW will be a star for us. Knowshon fits that bill better than anyone on defense that will likely be available at 12. He would certainly be on the fast track for OROY. If we go that route, I would expect us to go defense with every other selection we have.

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow surprising!!!! Good for USC and god for Mays. He will only be bigger and smarter next yr barring injury.

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 02:30 PM
That settles it. We must trade down. Unless Maualuga has a superb workout running the 40, there is no one that we can pick at 12 that we won't be able to get comparable talent to in the 20s or even the second round. If we can't trade down, don't count out Knowshon Moreno...I have been against taking a first round running back all along, but if no one is willing to trade into our spot, we need to take someone that we KNOW will be a star for us. Knowshon fits that bill better than anyone on defense that will likely be available at 12. He would certainly be on the fast track for OROY. If we go that route, I would expect us to go defense with every other selection we have.

dude you have know idea what's going on or how draft well play out.

You also have no idea what players Broncos like.

For all we know Broncos could be planning a move up in the draft.

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Also Maualuga is a run stuffing inside linebacker in a 3-4, or a MLB in a 4-3. speed is important but let's face it this dude will make his way in the NFL using power and strength more then speed.

Speed at linebacker is overrated. What's important is having a nose for the football and Maualuga has shown he knows how to do that. He flows well, sheds blocks, tackles well and is physical.

If Broncos want an ideal inside linebacker that can really add some physical play to defense Maualuga can give you that.

He probably isn't going to be as fast as say a Ray Lewis but he will be more physical as far as taking on big olineman and shedding those blocks.

BroncoBuff
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Ha! I knew Mom would win. Mays' Dad said it was cool with him if Taylor went pro and Mom was saying she wanted him to finish and get his degree. You pretty much knew how that was going to turn out.His mother is Jewish, so no surprise there. He grew up in Seattle, where she's in upper management at Nordstrom corporate HQ. His father is a 9-year NFL vet who's an exec at Microsoft.

That really sucks. I thought he was our guy.He's not worth the #12, and he probably wouldn't have lasted 'til the 2nd round.

Broncos_OTM
01-13-2009, 02:59 PM
His mother is Jewish, so no surprise there. He grew up in Seattle, where she's in upper management at Nordstrom corporate HQ. His father is a 9-year NFL vet who's an exec at Microsoft.

He's not worth the #12, and he probably wouldn't have lasted 'til the 2nd round.

So he is a jew. surpriseing. good to see him go back and get a education

Breaker
01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Dammit. That freaking sucks he is the on that I really freaking wanted. Now I hope we get Curry, Spikes or Rey Rey in the first and pick up either Chung or Rashaad Johnson in the second, either way this freaking sucks.

Play2win
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
His mother is Jewish, so no surprise there. He grew up in Seattle, where she's in upper management at Nordstrom corporate HQ. His father is a 9-year NFL vet who's an exec at Microsoft.

He's not worth the #12, and he probably wouldn't have lasted 'til the 2nd round.

I was thinking he came from an at least fairly well off family, because (imho) one of the reasons so many underclassman are coming out is because of the state of the economy.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
dude you have know idea what's going on or how draft well play out.

You also have no idea what players Broncos like.

For all we know Broncos could be planning a move up in the draft.

Curry is the only one worth trading up for. And one LB is not going to fix the mess that is our d. We are in the middle of a complete rebuilding process and scheme change. We cannot afford to lose picks to trade up for one guy. We are going to need new players at almost every position on defense. Trading down would be best, but if that doesn't happen we have to pick the best player available at our positions of need (LB, DT, DE, S, and RB).

Of course I don't know what players the coaches like. Seeing as how McDaniels just arrived, there have been no pro days, no combine, and no private workouts, I can almost guarantee you the team is nowhere close to having a finalized list either. This is all speculation. I'm just trying to be logical.

Popps
01-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Was anyone else positive we were going to draft that guy if he made it to us? I was.... and despite my usual suspicion that it's difficult to draft and transition safeties quickly, I thought he would have.

Any draft guys around here think that hurts even our chance to get Maulaluga?
Not sure who was looking at S/LB in front of us. A couple of teams have obvious needs there. Sure seems to me like this might hurt our chance to get him, too.

I loved the idea of either one of them. I'm just wondering how the draftnicks think this shakes things up?

Popps
01-14-2009, 12:58 AM
News probably posted, but in case anyone missed...

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2009/01/espn_safety_taylor_mays_decide.html

Broncojef
01-14-2009, 12:58 AM
So he is a jew. surpriseing. good to see him go back and get a education

I really find it amazing when guys turn down millions of dollars for a degree. When I went to college it was for the understanding that the training would give me better chances at finding a good job someday and financial security later in life. I think sometimes people forget why they go to these institutions. I applaud his committment but don't really understand it.

Mediator12
01-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Was anyone else positive we were going to draft that guy if he made it to us? I was.... and despite my usual suspicion that it's difficult to draft and transition safeties quickly, I thought he would have.

Any draft guys around here think that hurts even our chance to get Maulaluga?
Not sure who was looking at S/LB in front of us. A couple of teams have obvious needs there. Sure seems to me like this might hurt our chance to get him, too.

I loved the idea of either one of them. I'm just wondering how the draftnicks think this shakes things up?

I think Dortoh said it best, it sucks but no matter What They Need REAL DL before they even begin to address the back 4. There is no SCHEME out there that can hide the trash DEN calls a DL every year and it affects the whole defense at the end of games and down the stretch.

At least Nolan and McDaniels come from the draft DL early philosophy. Their organizations have spent a very high % of first round picks on DL, front seven 3-4. The funny thing is that almost all of the real defensive value in the second and third round is 3-4 oriented. This would be a tremendous year to trade back and pile early picks to rebuild the defense.

Guys like Clay Matthews, Paul Kruger, Fili Moala, Larry English, Clint Sintim, Aaron Maybin, Alex Magee, Tyson Jacskon, and Matt Shaughnessy would be in that range of players at this stage of the draft process. These are solid players that would immediately upgrade the talent of this defense.

socalorado
01-14-2009, 06:13 AM
I listened to Mays on a radio interview yesterday in LA, and the 1st reason he said he was going back to school was because he wasnt ready to play at the NFL level. he had some aspects of his game that he needed to work on and refine. He basically said he wasnt ready. He had a NFL evaluation, and thats what they told him. His transition to the NFL would be very bumpy.
He also discussed being jewish and that he had to sing and dance at his barmitzfa (spelling?) when he was 13. HE had to study alot to pass it apparently. He really never mentioned school, his mom, or any family as reasons for why he was going back to USC.
He was asked what the best aspect of going to USC was, and without hesitation, he stated, "the girls".
They talked about the BCS and the ranking process, and if he thought USC should be in the National Championship, and they also discussed next years USC team.
There you have it.
HES NOT READY.

Mediator12
01-14-2009, 06:19 AM
I really find it amazing when guys turn down millions of dollars for a degree. When I went to college it was for the understanding that the training would give me better chances at finding a good job someday and financial security later in life. I think sometimes people forget why they go to these institutions. I applaud his committment but don't really understand it.

Well, think it through. The guy is one injury away from nothing. A car accident, a freak injury, or a routine football injury from never being the same. The degree can never be taken away, and allows for a solid foundation outside of football.

Finishing your degree also allows you the ability to go back and GET BETTER before you go to the NFL. It is entirely amazing that people sometimes forget these KIDS need more polishing before being ready to play in the NFL. Juniors are Very rarely impact players in their first year.

Finally, it shows character in a lot of ways. It says I am not a "ME" player. One of the biggest questions a team asks in scouting is does this player play for the love of the game or something else. You never have to motivate a player who plays for the love of the game. Juniors have to be vetted on their decision for early entry. Some team do it very well, some teams do it very poorly. Personally, I like players who want to stay another year and finish what they started.

Requiem
01-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Great to see you posting Med. Great thoughts.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, think it through. The guy is one injury away from nothing. A car accident, a freak injury, or a routine football injury from never being the same. The degree can never be taken away, and allows for a solid foundation outside of football.

Finishing your degree also allows you the ability to go back and GET BETTER before you go to the NFL. It is entirely amazing that people sometimes forget these KIDS need more polishing before being ready to play in the NFL. Juniors are Very rarely impact players in their first year.

Finally, it shows character in a lot of ways. It says I am not a "ME" player. One of the biggest questions a team asks in scouting is does this player play for the love of the game or something else. You never have to motivate a player who plays for the love of the game. Juniors have to be vetted on their decision for early entry. Some team do it very well, some teams do it very poorly. Personally, I like players who want to stay another year and finish what they started.

I can certainly understand all those points. My only counterpoint would be with regard to paragraph one. That "one car accident, freak injury, or not so freak injury"..........as well as a host of other things like just plain bad decisions that result in suspension or some other "character issue" that drop him down in the following year's draft are FAR more likely to occur in the next 18 months than the next few months. Each year, the percentages of something bad happening go up. Why do you think guys hate the franchise tag? Despite the big money they collect for that one year of service, it's a big risk and they know it.

Mediator12
01-14-2009, 08:37 AM
I can certainly understand all those points. My only counterpoint would be with regard to paragraph one. That "one car accident, freak injury, or not so freak injury"..........as well as a host of other things like just plain bad decisions that result in suspension or some other "character issue" that drop him down in the following year's draft are FAR more likely to occur in the next 18 months than the next few months. Each year, the percentages of something bad happening go up. Why do you think guys hate the franchise tag? Despite the big money they collect for that one year of service, it's a big risk and they know it.

I understand that is the common way of looking at things, thanks to agents and fans wanting players to come out early. However, Juniors take way more time to develop at the NFL level and they rarely have anything to fall back on if they fail.

What they see is the opportunity to win the lottery and get paid. No NFL team wants a player like that on their roster, but scouts and FO personnel are afraid of "not drafting" their potential talent. Think about juniors who have come in and played well in their first year. Who can you name off the top of your head? What is the percentage of guys who show up that first year? Small, compared to seniors who flash in the first year.

Going back to school gets players better prepared to be NFL players right away and gives them a college degree. The risk of injury does go up by the amount due to the extended time away, but that is way less than what they stand to gain and could develop character wise. Knowing that you will be a an NFL player in a year will raise temptation. However, that also exposes true character and discipline in the face of that temptation. They can raise their draft stock, IF they can handle the added pressure and work hard.

Just a counter point as well ;D Thanks for thoughts BB.

RocBronc
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
I understand that is the common way of looking at things, thanks to agents and fans wanting players to come out early. However, Juniors take way more time to develop at the NFL level and they rarely have anything to fall back on if they fail.

What they see is the opportunity to win the lottery and get paid. No NFL team wants a player like that on their roster, but scouts and FO personnel are afraid of "not drafting" their potential talent. Think about juniors who have come in and played well in their first year. Who can you name off the top of your head? What is the percentage of guys who show up that first year? Small, compared to seniors who flash in the first year.

Going back to school gets players better prepared to be NFL players right away and gives them a college degree. The risk of injury does go up by the amount due to the extended time away, but that is way less than what they stand to gain and could develop character wise. Knowing that you will be a an NFL player in a year will raise temptation. However, that also exposes true character and discipline in the face of that temptation. They can raise their draft stock, IF they can handle the added pressure and work hard.

Just a counter point as well ;D Thanks for thoughts BB.

However, a guy like Mays who is guaranteed will be taken in the top 15 picks will get a huge signing bonus that he could use to finish up his college degree if he suffers a catastrophic injury or he can't cut it. Being such a high draft pick teams are going to hold him around as long as possible (and he could make more money) before cutting him.

Also, will you learn more playing in college one more year or at worst mostly sitting the bench in the pros or maybe even playing alot in the pros??? That's a toss up to me.

Consider too a person only has so many "snaps" in a lifetime before his body starts breaking down, how many of them does he want to spend not being paid very much.

I don't know if you can say that going back to college always shows more "character" than coming out early. There have been lots of Juniors that have come out that have had great careers at the NFL level... College will always be there to go back to.

Mediator12
01-14-2009, 10:15 AM
However, a guy like Mays who is guaranteed will be taken in the top 15 picks will get a huge signing bonus that he could use to finish up his college degree if he suffers a catastrophic injury or he can't cut it. Being such a high draft pick teams are going to hold him around as long as possible (and he could make more money) before cutting him.

Also, will you learn more playing in college one more year or at worst mostly sitting the bench in the pros or maybe even playing alot in the pros??? That's a toss up to me.

Consider too a person only has so many "snaps" in a lifetime before his body starts breaking down, how many of them does he want to spend not being paid very much.

I don't know if you can say that going back to college always shows more "character" than coming out early. There have been lots of Juniors that have come out that have had great careers at the NFL level... College will always be there to go back to.

That is a fantastic argument for the current thought on the matter. However, it still says three things to me and most NFL teams:

1. I am in it for the money, because I can get it right now even though I am not NFL ready to play. In the quality Drafting FO's, that will require a further character check with much more evidence needed to raise their character grade.

2. You can get better playing, but it is very hard to get better sitting on the bench. Getting more snaps at the College level does help more than sitting and making big money. Doing that exerts much more mental pressure on a player than returning to college does. It also helps their LTI, length to impact, get much better.

3. There are only so many snaps in your career, this is true. But how many depends on your physical ability and development, more than taking more college reps. The average life of an NFL player is declining to 3.1 years. For Juniors declaring early, it is much less than Seniors selected at the same spots in the draft. Almost a whole year less career wise.

cutthemdown
01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Dammit. That freaking sucks he is the on that I really freaking wanted. Now I hope we get Curry, Spikes or Rey Rey in the first and pick up either Chung or Rashaad Johnson in the second, either way this freaking sucks.

why would you hope for any specific player when we don't yet know what we will run on defense?

Spikes doesn't fit a 3-4 at all IMO he is a 4-3 linebacker in the pros. What's he go about 235 pounds? IMO that WSL 4-3 material in the pros.

If we go 3-4 we need 245 pound inside backers, and 255-260 pound outside backers.

We already have DJ at about 240 so unless we are sticking with a 4-3 I don't see Spikes targeted. He is a good player but maybe not the right fit for Broncos.

Curry or Maualuga fit better for a 3-4

cutthemdown
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
The real reason is a glut of good safety's available in later rounds in this draft. By some accounts as many as 5 safety's will be picked in the first 2 rounds. With other options later in draft teams may not feel the need to take Mays high in round one where he wants to go. By coming out next yr he betters his chances at that.

Mediator12
01-14-2009, 10:27 AM
The real reason is a glut of good safety's available in later rounds in this draft. By some accounts as many as 5 safety's will be picked in the first 2 rounds. With other options later in draft teams may not feel the need to take Mays high in round one where he wants to go. By coming out next yr he betters his chances at that.

I think the depth goes beyond the middle rounds this year. I seriously think there might be guys in the fith and sixth that can contribute right away for some teams.

Popps
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I think Dortoh said it best, it sucks but no matter What They Need REAL DL before they even begin to address the back 4. There is no SCHEME out there that can hide the trash DEN calls a DL every year and it affects the whole defense at the end of games and down the stretch..

Brother, you are preaching to the choir.. and I think you know that. :thumbs:

That said, I was sort of resigned to Mays, mostly because it doesn't appear we get great value at #12 for DL, but maybe we move around?

I was thinking to go Mays or Maulaluga at 12, and take DL in the second... and make a big DL splash in free agency.

Greybeard
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM

I guess this is good since we would not go S in the 1st anyway.

Yeah, but Mays very well could have gone in the top 12, which would have
meant maybe the guy we want would be more apt to move down to us. So it
could still affect us . . .

-----

BroncoBuff
01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
None of this gabbing matters much, #12 would've been WAY too high for Mays, and he would've been gone before our 2nd round pick. He's a late-1st Kenny Phillips level prospect.

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Will he reconsider now that Sanchez is entering the draft?

lex
01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
why would you hope for any specific player when we don't yet know what we will run on defense?

Spikes doesn't fit a 3-4 at all IMO he is a 4-3 linebacker in the pros. What's he go about 235 pounds? IMO that WSL 4-3 material in the pros.

If we go 3-4 we need 245 pound inside backers, and 255-260 pound outside backers.

We already have DJ at about 240 so unless we are sticking with a 4-3 I don't see Spikes targeted. He is a good player but maybe not the right fit for Broncos.

Curry or Maualuga fit better for a 3-4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/139639

...there you have it. 6'3" and 245.

footstepsfrom#27
01-15-2009, 01:50 AM
None of this gabbing matters much, #12 would've been WAY too high for Mays, and he would've been gone before our 2nd round pick. He's a late-1st Kenny Phillips level prospect.
Not even close on the physical measurables:

Kenny Phillips: 6'2", 210, 4.54/40, 19 BP reps
Taylor Mays: 6'3", 230, 4.32/40, 26 BP reps

Mays is bigger, faster, and a harder hitter. How does that translate to being the same as Phillips?

Drek
01-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Not even close on the physical measurables:

Kenny Phillips: 6'2", 210, 4.54/40, 19 BP reps
Taylor Mays: 6'3", 230, 4.32/40, 26 BP reps

Mays is bigger, faster, and a harder hitter. How does that translate to being the same as Phillips?

Because like Phillips he lives off being more athletic than his competition yet still isn't a playmaker.

He doesn't play up the measurables. Apparently some professional talent evaluators told him the exact same thing. Now he's going to back to school, smart choice for him.

SpringStein
01-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Because like Phillips he lives off being more athletic than his competition yet still isn't a playmaker.

He doesn't play up the measurables. Apparently some professional talent evaluators told him the exact same thing. Now he's going to back to school, smart choice for him.

For some stupid reason, he never asked for a grade. Rumor is that the "talent evaluator" was none other than USC coach Pete Carroll who told him he would go in the second round.

Of course this rumor could have been started by UCLA backers. ;)