PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen will not hire a GM. Goodman will run personnel deptartment and have final say

montrose
01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/12/krieger/

I asked McDaniels if he had discussed with Bowlen how much influence he will have in personnel decisions.

"I've met Jim Goodman and his staff in the personnel department," he said. "I think it's going to be a situation where we're going to collaborate. . . . "

And in cases where they differ?

"Hopefully, there's not many of those, but Jim would make the call if there's an issue in terms of personnel," McDaniels said.

I asked Bowlen if he intends to hire a general manager (Goodman's unwieldy title, which he held under Shanahan, is vice president of football operations/player personnel).

"I have no plans to hire anybody else," Bowlen said. "That's not to say I won't hire some other people on the football side of the organization. I don't have any plans to hire what you would call a general manager."

So your intention is that Jim Goodman will run your personnel department?

"That's correct."

telluride
01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
This better be incorrect. We need a true, proven GM.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
link broken ....

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM

I guess the NFL's best first and second round pick from the 2008 Draft isn't enough for you.

Hallside
01-12-2009, 11:08 PM

Goodman's proven a lot in the last three drafts.

UberBroncoMan
01-12-2009, 11:19 PM

I'd say he's proven himself pretty damn well as of late... at least on the offensive side of the ball.

Hallside
01-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd say he's proven himself pretty damn well as of late... at least on the offensive side of the ball.

Somewhat smaller sample size on the defensive side, but I've been especially pleased with his late round and UDFA acquisitions on D (and O).

Popps
01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
"Hopefully, there's not many of those, but Jim would make the call if there's an issue in terms of personnel," McDaniels said.

A business being run like a business. I love it.

Goodman seems to be doing well, but the real test will be to get some defensive players in here immediately. We should be in a position to land a couple of seemingly sure-things at #12.

Natedog24
01-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Thrilled to see Goodman in town for the foreseeable future. I just hope he hit the jackpot on the defensive side of the ball like he did on offense in last years draft.

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 02:09 AM
We will see how it goes. The first Shannyless draft will be interesting.

montrose
01-13-2009, 02:10 AM
link broken ....

Fixed.

fontaine
01-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Glad Goodman is staying because he seemed to get a lot of credit for the recent draft success.

Hopefully he can prove to be as successful on the defensive side of the roster.

Broncoman13
01-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Sounds like he has all of the responsibility minus the title... leaves room for improvement I guess???

alkemical
01-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Sounds like he has all of the responsibility minus the title... leaves room for improvement I guess???

Or a way you could promote him...

WolfpackGuy
01-13-2009, 05:41 AM
If the new regime can make something out of Moss and Crowder, the last three drafts would easily (if not already) be the best in team history.

oubronco
01-13-2009, 05:42 AM

exactly

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 05:52 AM
Might as well just call him the GM. Its what he is now.

alkemical
01-13-2009, 06:01 AM
he doesn't get the title until he's earned it...

baja
01-13-2009, 06:18 AM

One risk might be that Goodman without the GM title would be free to break his contract for an official GM job offer from another team.

alkemical
01-13-2009, 06:20 AM
One risk might be that Goodman without the GM title would be free to break his contract for an official GM job offer from another team.

Or that the team could use that to keep him...

Broncomutt
01-13-2009, 06:33 AM
If the Goodman's start hitting on defensive drafts they way they've hit on some recent offensive drafts......

rugbythug
01-13-2009, 06:35 AM

My Understanding is that titles mean nothing. It is the person who actually has final roster say. Because he has that he can not be scooped prior to contract end.

cmhargrove
01-13-2009, 06:40 AM
We also need to keep in mind that the Goodmans have been drafting what they thought were the best players for the needs of the current coaches.

I think our new staff will require different types of players, and the Goodmans will still be able to smell "talent."

This looks like a match made in heaven so far - the next month or two of "player evaluation" will be the most interesting. Interesting to see who might be let go, traded, renegotiated, etc.. We will get a quick feel for how bold this new regime will be.

Drek
01-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Might as well just call him the GM. Its what he is now.

He's the VP of football operations, I believe that technically thats a higher position than GM (at least it is in baseball).

And I said this as soon as we fired Shanahan. We weren't hiring a GM, Goodman was taking that job. Then reiterated it when they were part of the interview committee. Sad that it takes the HC saying outright that he's in charge of personnel decisions (when that is clearly his job) for people to get it.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 06:47 AM
I think we all saw this. Bowlen said when he fired Shanahan that he wasn't going to touch the Goodmans or any of the personnel department. Shanahan was responsible for the multiple trades in the '07 draft. The Goodmans were allowed more say in the '08 draft and that's why we didn't do things like trade back into the first for Eddie Royal Like Mike wanted. Mike had a tendency to get locked on a guy and then freak that someone else was going to take him and reach.

Anyway I have more confidence that this staff can find and develop defensive talent than the last one. However I'm not convinced that it will be as defensive heavy as people think. Good GM's go BPA and what if the best offensive player in the draft at his position falls to us? Outside of a QB I wouldn't be shocked, especially if the player of a position of need we have is too early to take at 12. I'm personally hoping that safety falls, but we'll see. This will make the draft more interesting for sure.

baja
01-13-2009, 07:02 AM
My Understanding is that titles mean nothing. It is the person who actually has final roster say. Because he has that he can not be scooped prior to contract end.

That could be but I've never heard that before.

baja
01-13-2009, 07:08 AM
I think we all saw this. Bowlen said when he fired Shanahan that he wasn't going to touch the Goodmans or any of the personnel department. Shanahan was responsible for the multiple trades in the '07 draft. The Goodmans were allowed more say in the '08 draft and that's why we didn't do things like trade back into the first for Eddie Royal Like Mike wanted. Mike had a tendency to get locked on a guy and then freak that someone else was going to take him and reach.

Anyway I have more confidence that this staff can find and develop defensive talent than the last one. However I'm not convinced that it will be as defensive heavy as people think. <b>Good GM's go BPA and what if the best offensive player in the draft at his position falls to us?</b> Outside of a QB I wouldn't be shocked, especially if the player of a position of need we have is too early to take at 12. I'm personally hoping that safety falls, but we'll see. This will make the draft more interesting for sure.

Our defense is so woefully bad that I thing this year and maybe next you suspend that and go for the best defensive player available or maybe even draft for need this season on defense, we are that player poor on that side of the ball.

bronco militia
01-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Our defense is so woefully bad that I thing this year and maybe next you suspend that and go for the best defensive player available or maybe even draft for need this season on defense, we are that player poor on that side of the ball.

it's not black or white decision...the Broncos have to match up their needs with BPA.

Killericon
01-13-2009, 07:21 AM
I wanted Phil Savage, but Goodman is just fine by me.

baja
01-13-2009, 07:51 AM
it's not black or white decision...the Broncos have to match up their needs with BPA.

Yes of course but I'm saying this season heavy emphasis needs to be placed on defense because that is where we have the most holes and the greatest overall need. In order to field a competitive D we need several new starters so if we take an O player as BPA and as a result only fill 3 out of 4 holes than our D will not be able to cover the weakness and look like last year. While on the O side we could stand pat and be OK so that is why I say we need to break the rule somewhat and draft almost all D just to be adequate. Oh and and a running back.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Yes of course but I'm saying this season heavy emphasis needs to be placed on defense because that is where we have the most holes and the greatest overall need. In order to field a competitive D we need several new starters so igf we take an O player as BPA and as a result only fill 2 out of 4 holes than our D will not be able to cover the weakness and look like last year.while on the O side we could stand pat and be OK so that is why I say we need to break the rule somewhat and draft almost all D and a running back.
That rarely works. You take the best player no matter who (outside of a QB). Now of course you have guys you're looking for. We needed a tackle and got Clady. We needed a speedster and got Royal. There were probably other guys we could have taken. But both those guys were the BPA too, so that's a dream situation.

We definitely need defense, but if you start reaching you will often cut off your nose to spite your face. Reaching never works.

Chris
01-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I think Goodman understands that the quality of the defensive players he drafts this year and next will mean him staying or being replaced / demoted.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I think Goodman understands that the quality of the defensive players he drafts this year and next will mean him staying or being replaced / demoted.

I also think he knows that it's better to have ten pretty good guys than one really good guy that you gave up four picks for.

Chris
01-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Isn't that how the steelers do it? Few superstars, just guys that work within the system.

alkemical
01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Isn't that how the steelers do it? Few superstars, just guys that work within the system.

That's what happens when you have a system, stick with it, and build it out. It's easier to identify players to fit the scheme. Then, when drafting BPA, you can get an even better idea of how to improve your roster and where, if you got a solid base of players to work with.

This is one area that shanny really f'd up on.

Kaylore
01-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Well that's the base and then you can afford some guys like Troy Palamalu who make you elite.

no-pseudo-fan
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
If we can get 2 Defensive starters with our 1st 2 picks, and both be considered for D ROY, I would be happy.

I just can not believe that Clady and Royal were that good last year. I don't think that whole draft will be Defense, it should be heavy defense, but I think we could draft a Offensive Lineman, a RB, a late round QB, and a Kicker.

Broncoman13
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
We definitely need defense, but if you start reaching you will often cut off your nose to spite your face. Reaching never works.

If it wasn't for my flippin ankle it would have worked out great for me!

~Willie Middlebrooks

If not for my wrist I would have been Ryan Clady before Ryan Clady!

~George Foster

I could go on and on with success stories on reaches!

baja
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
That rarely works. You take the best player no matter who (outside of a QB). Now of course you have guys you're looking for. We needed a tackle and got Clady. We needed a speedster and got Royal. There were probably other guys we could have taken. But both those guys were the BPA too, so that's a dream situation.

OK lets say the BPA is an O player for the first 4 picks what do you do?

theAPAOps5
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
If it wasn't for my flippin ankle it would have worked out great for me!

~Willie Middlebrooks

If not for my wrist I would have been Ryan Clady before Ryan Clady!

~George Foster

I could go on and on with success stories on reaches!

If not my broken ankle I would have been all Pro

~ Jarvis Moss

If not for staph I would have been all pro

~Jarvis Moss

I like this game!

Broncoman13
01-13-2009, 11:47 AM
If not my broken ankle I would have been all Pro

~ Jarvis Moss

If not for staph I would have been all pro

~Jarvis Moss

I like this game!

Kind of catchy huh... shows how much Khan knows!!!

;D

I was a future HOFer... except for being a slow, overweight turd that played behind one of the best Mike Linebackers of my time.

~Terry Pierce, 2nd round pick

Bravo
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
The selection of a new DC by our new HC will be the deterning factor on who might be taken as a FA or in the Draft. There is no doubt in my mind that the defense will garner the most attention this year. Of all the coaches we presently have, I hope the RB coach is at least saved. He is the best. Otherwise, leave it to the HC, DC and Goodman to do the job.

Bronco X
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Was this the big "bombshell" Oskie was hyping up then?

Broncoman13
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
The selection of a new DC by our new HC will be the deterning factor on who might be taken as a FA or in the Draft. There is no doubt in my mind that the defense will garner the most attention this year. Of all the coaches we presently have, I hope the RB coach is at least saved. He is the best. Otherwise, leave it to the HC, DC and Goodman to do the job.

How about Dan Reeves for DC... that's who we should go get!

I keed

Broncoman13
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Was this the big "bombshell" Oskie was hyping up then?

A portion of it though the way it was explained, Goodman is in fact the GM or at least the one who makes all the calls. The "shot caller" as it was explained.

BroncoBuff
01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Stricly speaking, BPA is nonsense ... I guarantee you we will NOT draft an OT at #12, regardless who is available.

But that doesn't mean you reach for a guy, either, or compound the problem that killed our season and got Mike fired by using the #12 on another offensive player. You trade back and try to maximize your resources with the goal of winning more games.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2009, 12:55 PM

wrong.

Mountain Bronco
01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
This is great, he was who I hoped would be selected for the job. As for drafting, Kaylore is correct on strategy. Reaching for defense is bad as Moss has shown.

telluride
01-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Goodman's proven a lot in the last three drafts.

Again with the myth of "last three drafts." Goodman had a hell of a draft in 2008, and a pretty great one in 2006. But the 2007 draft was a huge bust. With seven picks, we got one standout player and one decent player. That's it. And that's a lousy draft.

So 2 out of three ain't bad. But it's not great, either.

Ray Finkle
01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Again with the myth of "last three drafts." Goodman had a hell of a draft in 2008, and a pretty great one in 2006. But the 2007 draft was a huge bust. With seven picks, we got one standout player and one decent player. That's it. And that's a lousy draft.

2007 we came out with RT of the future, a starting DT and well at this point, crap.

Anyone hitting on 50% of the draft has done good.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-13-2009, 03:30 PM

You're a tough critic. For something thats somewhat of a crapshoot, ill take 2 out of 3 everytime...especially since 2 of them were EPIC drafts

baja
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I think we all saw this. Bowlen said when he fired Shanahan that he wasn't going to touch the Goodmans or any of the personnel department. Shanahan was responsible for the multiple trades in the '07 draft. <b>The Goodmans were allowed more say in the '08 draft and that's why we didn't do things like trade back into the first for Eddie Royal Like Mike wanted.</b> Mike had a tendency to get locked on a guy and then freak that someone else was going to take him and reach.

Anyway I have more confidence that this staff can find and develop defensive talent than the last one. However I'm not convinced that it will be as defensive heavy as people think. Good GM's go BPA and what if the best offensive player in the draft at his position falls to us? Outside of a QB I wouldn't be shocked, especially if the player of a position of need we have is too early to take at 12. I'm personally hoping that safety falls, but we'll see. This will make the draft more interesting for sure.

How do you know that he wanted to trade up/?