PDA

View Full Version : Article: McDaniels wants Broncos tough, smart, prepared - Great Quotes

Inkana7
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
McDaniels wants Broncos tough, smart, prepared
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0112/20090112__MCDANIELS_JL269~p1_500.jpg
The Broncos' new head coach, Josh McDaniels, smiles as he addresses the media during a press conference Monday at Dove Valley.

After being introduced as the new Broncos head coach Monday, Josh McDaniels spoke several times about three basic elements he will focus on in his tenure in Denver.

"I want this team to be tough, smart and prepared to play well under pressure," he said. "The evaluation process of how to get this team to that point is going to start today, and is going to be on-going.

"Everybody here in this organization is going to be held accountable to do their job, their piece of the puzzle, to fit it and make this team a competitor for championships every season. We're going to be as precise as we can in every phase of our preparation and every phase of our daily operation and our performance on game day.

"I'm very excited to share in this commitment to win, and I can't wait to get started."

McDaniels, who was the offensive coordinator-quarterbacks coach for the New England Patriots the past three seasons, said he's "thrilled" to lead an organization that is all about "winning."

"I know I'm coming to a place where winning is the most important thing," he said. "It's been very clear to me in this process that it's the most important thing to (owner) Mr. (Pat) Bowlen, the most important thing to this (entire) organization, the most important to the fans in this community, and it certainly is going to be the most important thing to the coaches and the players of the Denver Broncos.

In McDaniels' opening comments, he thanked his wife, Laura, his parents and Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

"I've formed a special bond with him that will last long after I'm done coaching in this game," McDaniels said of Belichick. "My appreciation for what he has done for me, I can't really express just in words."

The new Broncos coach arrived at Dove Valley today for a 5 p.m. news conference, where he was introduced by owner Pat Bowlen as the team's 12th head coach.

"This is an opportunity that doesn't come along often," the 32-year-old McDaniels said.

News broke late Sunday that McDaniels had earned the job. He will replace 14-year coach Mike Shanahan, who was fired on Dec. 30. McDaniels is the fifth-youngest coach in NFL history. He has no previous experience as a head coach.

"My age has never been a factor and never will be a factor," he said. "It's about the performance.

"I want this team to be tough, smart and well-prepared to handle pressure."

McDaniels, who had been the offensive coordinator for New England since 2006, is known as an offensive-minded coach.

"The way I coach, the way I lead is trying to be more prepared than everybody else."

McDaniels said no decisions have been made about what current Broncos assistants will be retained on the staff.

"There will be decisions that need to be made. But we want a consistent scheme. We want to bring some consistency here.

"When you need to get your hands dirty in this game, you've got to be ready to," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11437028

Good quotes highlighted.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Yep, great quotes.

Unfortunately it takes more than talk. We'll see how he does.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 07:24 PM
It makes sense why Bowlen went this route. There is speculation that Shanny lost the team and with them already being young this approach is what he feels is needed.

ro_50
01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
It makes sense why Bowlen went this route. There is speculation that Shanny lost the team and with them already being young this approach is what he feels is needed.

Good post.