PDA

View Full Version : Jim Goodman: "We we're overwhelmed with his plan."

montrose
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
He's on Fox31 right now...

Said his personnel background was very valuable. He's mature beyond his years. A great football coach, not just offense or defense. Reminds him of a young Mike Shanahan.

Chris
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I guess we won't see that plan until August / September.... blargh.

Bronx33
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I saw that interview.

illbroncsfn
01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
any news as to what was so overwhelming 'bout the plan?

elsid13
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Wonder if he had a glint in his eye when talked about his plan. Like they say everyone has a plan until they get a fist to the nose.

ludo21
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
so we traded the veteran Shanny for the young, no experience one..

I hope he is the Shanny that wins and not the stubborn SOB one.

TheDave
01-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Excellent... another "Plan"

Popps
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM

I think that's exactly what Bowlen and Co. see in him. Honestly, the parallels are plentiful. Shanahan was plucked from a winning organization after learning how to win. (In his own words.) This looks like the exact same thing.

That old gutless drunk just might know what he's doing.

Bronx33
01-12-2009, 05:08 PM

It sooo huge it can't be revealed all at once.

Rohirrim
01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
You say you want a revolution, well, you know...
we all want to see the plan. ;D

lex
01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
It sooo huge it can't be revealed all at once.

Its god-like. If seen by mortal man in its fullest form, he will burst into flames.

McLuvin
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
He has to be better than mike shanny because shanny knows absolutely nothing about defense. or a 3-4

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Why do people consistently say this and think it makes an ounce of sense.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Its god-like. If seen by mortal man in its fullest form, he will burst into flames.

Oh thank God I thought for sure Lex had already found a new team to root for. I want him to continue his meltdown.

Anaximines
01-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Its hixon-like. If seen by mortal man in its fullest form, he will burst into flames.

fixed it for you

Broncojef
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
He's on Fox31 right now...

Said his personnel background was very valuable. He's mature beyond his years. A great football coach, not just offense or defense. Reminds him of a young Mike Shanahan.

I'm all onboard with McDaniels and all and think it will workout...but overwhelmed?

Drek
01-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm all onboard with McDaniels and all and think it will workout...but overwhelmed?

I don't know, how quickly we've moved on a DC before we even had the presser for the HC? That implies he had a strong plan in place with solid options at DC.

I'll be real interested in seeing how quickly we come out of the gates in FA. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign a half dozen guys no one has even heard of within the first 24 hours.

When 4 of the 6 become solid starters that's when I'll be impressed though. ;P

mwill07
01-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't know, how quickly we've moved on a DC before we even had the presser for the HC? That implies he had a strong plan in place with solid options at DC.

I'll be real interested in seeing how quickly we come out of the gates in FA. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign a half dozen guys no one has even heard of within the first 24 hours.

When 4 of the 6 become solid starters that's when I'll be impressed though. ;P

isn't that what happened when Shanahan took over?

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Long enough ago that I couldn't tell you an exact time frame, but a lot of teams spend some time post-HC hire to then fill out the support staff. McDaniels apparently has everyone already in mind.

broncogary
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Also, remember when Shanny took over, players were judged by how they played, and not by their rep. It seemed like lately, especially this year, that method had gone by the wayside.

ScottXray
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM

As I recall , When Shanahan arrived he had a plan too. win the super bowl in three years. He did.

Lets hope history repeats itself aand his replacement is as prophetic.

Malcontent
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Taco just announced on another thread that Bates, Turner and others are getting canned as well. WTF?

Finger Roll
01-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Taco just announced on another thread that Bates, Turner and others are getting canned as well. WTF?

didn't hear anything about that

Taco John
01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
didn't hear anything about that

You will... It was the subtext of today's press conference, but not the focus.

The focus is that McDaniels is here to implement his plan - his offense. And that will be with his people.

This organization is being completely liquidated from a coaching perspective. New offense, new terminology, new blocking schemes, you name it.

Man-Goblin
01-12-2009, 09:29 PM

Not really...Shanny's BIG name free agent signings his first year were two d-tackles from the Browns. I still have images of them sitting courtside at a Nuggets game while he was wooing them. They were Michael Dean Perry and some guy named James I think? They were going to anchor the line.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Also, remember when Shanny took over, players were judged by how they played, and not by their rep. It seemed like lately, especially this year, that method had gone by the wayside.It definitely went by the wayside in judging defensive coordinators ...

ghwk
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
"Plan I don't need no stinkin plan" - Treasure of the Sierra Madre old Bogart film.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Let's hear from Daniel Graham ... he only played for McD for 6 years and won two Lombardis with him.

TheDave
01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Not really...Shanny's BIG name free agent signings his first year were two d-tackles from the Browns. I still have images of them sitting courtside at a Nuggets game while he was wooing them. They were Michael Dean Perry and some guy named James I think? They were going to anchor the line.

James Jones...

montrose
01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Let's hear from Daniel Graham ... he only played for McD for 6 years and won two Lombardis with him.

I'm interested to see what will happen with Graham. McDaniels mentioned him as an offensive weapon today but he was never used much in the New England passing game and the scheme that McDaniels used heavily and successfully over the past two seasons would make Scheffler quite the weapon. McDaniels has used blocking TE's, but in a limited capacity - I think he'll like Scheffler and Nate Jackson quite a bit.

lex
01-12-2009, 10:15 PM
What plan? I just heard a lot of questions answered with, "I need to look at that" and "Id like to set at my desk."

montrose
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
What plan? I just heard a lot of questions answered with, "I need to look at that" and "Id like to set at my desk."

Man you are really not too happy about this hire are you?

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Take a deep breath ... relax ... and take it like a man!

Ambiguous
01-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Come on, did you expect anything but vanilla answers from his first press conference? Like he is going to go out and announce who is going to get ****canned tomorrow publicly before it actually happens.

While we're at it let's announce everything we want to do before it happens so 31 teams have leverage on us in the draft or FA...

It was shocking to hear that he will in fact be wearing a hoodie. He even reported that he will be "excited to see it" too. Maybe he revealed too much, I don't know.

B B
01-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm interested to see what will happen with Graham. McDaniels mentioned him as an offensive weapon today but he was never used much in the New England passing game and the scheme that McDaniels used heavily and successfully over the past two seasons would make Scheffler quite the weapon. McDaniels has used blocking TE's, but in a limited capacity - I think he'll like Scheffler and Nate Jackson quite a bit.

I think you guys will see Graham have a pretty good year if the OL can keep Cutler upright. I wish we still had him, but I think the Pats thought they had a good replacement with Watson. Unfortunately, Watson has speed on Graham (just ask Champ), but I miss Grahams blocking skills and hands. Watson can be counted on to drop plenty of passes in a season.

B B
01-12-2009, 11:31 PM
It was shocking to hear that he will in fact be wearing a hoodie. He even reported that he will be "excited to see it" too. Maybe he revealed too much, I don't know.

I seriously think McDaniels is a completely different fruit than Mangini, Crennel, and Weiss. He was truly made in the last few years by Belichick and they have great respect for each other. The statement Belichick gave about his departure was damn good.

Where the other three went on to "do their own thing", I think McDaniels is going to do it about as close to the way BB would do it as he can.....right down to the hoodie.

cutthemdown
01-12-2009, 11:35 PM
any news as to what was so overwhelming 'bout the plan?

I'd guess just how in depth it was. From what I have read this guy not only knows the system he likes best, but understand all football strategies. He can converse on pretty much any level, about any unit of the team. He understand defense and was good enough to be a dbacks coach.

I'm telling you all we are going to love this kid and you all would have hated a ball control defensive coach. Trust me you would have hated spags because he doesn't know offense. He would not unleash Cutler the way we want to play.

Broncos offense is built to score lots of points and its need a creative offensive coach to keep them ahead of the defenses.

cutthemdown
01-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I think you guys will see Graham have a pretty good year if the OL can keep Cutler upright. I wish we still had him, but I think the Pats thought they had a good replacement with Watson. Unfortunately, Watson has speed on Graham (just ask Champ), but I miss Grahams blocking skills and hands. Watson can be counted on to drop plenty of passes in a season.

Graham really came on at the end of the yr. His bocking is of course always dominant but he started to make plays in the passing game. I think he has cutlers confidence now and showed enough that new regime will really work him into the passing game.

Broncos have a great pair of TE if Sheff can stay healthy.

cutthemdown
01-12-2009, 11:38 PM

Jackson and Scheff both injury prone so we probably can just count them as one player. Seems like they are never healthy at same time.

Popps
01-12-2009, 11:43 PM
James Jones...

Yep, and then Traylor... Williams and later, Neil Smith.... drafted Pryce with our #1, and Mobley with a #1.

Shanahan's commitment to the defensive front seven when he got to Denver was almost unparalleled. He spent countless dollars and draft picks to fortify those crucial positions and the result was an attacking, opportunistic defense that made huge plays and regularly ranked near the top of the league.

Then... for whatever reason, he just stopped. He spent the next 10 years poo-poo'ing it all. Rarely did he spend big money or top picks on the front seven and when he did, he usually screwed it up, outside of a few obvious exceptions.

Again, this is come up before... but Shanahan was SO good at building a D when he got here, and then got SO bad... it really makes you wonder what was going on behind the scenes during the SB days. I think he was getting help, but I wonder from where.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Shanahan's commitment to the defensive front seven when he got to Denver was almost unparalleled. He spent countless dollars and draft picks to fortify those crucial positions and the result was an attacking, opportunistic defense that made huge plays and regularly ranked near the top of the league.

Then... for whatever reason, he just stopped. He spent the next 10 years poo-poo'ing it all. Rarely did he spend big money or top picks on the front seven and when he did, he usually screwed it up, outside of a few obvious exceptions.And that's how history will tell the story of Mike's downfall in Denver. He concentrated so much on offense, and in fact built the most awesome young offensive lineup in the league ... while at the same time the defense was neglected andd starved of decent players, and fell to the worst in the league.

OBF1
01-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Great, a new "Plan", excuse me while I hit the bathroom.

Drek
01-13-2009, 04:31 AM

He was primarily a red zone weapon in NE and a big reason why they typically ranked higher in points scored than in yards.

We just ranked 2nd in yards and 16th in points. We could use some reliable red zone production.

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 04:38 AM
He was primarily a red zone weapon in NE and a big reason why they typically ranked higher in points scored than in yards.

We just ranked 2nd in yards and 16th in points. We could use some reliable red zone production.

Honestly we have to admit a lot of that was Cutlers fault, but also much was because all the Rbs went down. Pittman was pretty effective in the red zone early in season, but later it all fell apart.

Drek
01-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Honestly we have to admit a lot of that was Cutlers fault, but also much was because all the Rbs went down. Pittman was pretty effective in the red zone early in season, but later it all fell apart.

I'd put a lot of it on the playcalling myself.

We didn't lose Hillis until the tail end of the season. We'd still been sucking in the red zone up to that point. Even before moving him to RB why didn't we hit him on some slants or a few FB power runs up the gut?

Thats just one example, but our red zone problem was that we basically handed opposing teams the script to how we were going to call it. A pass to Marshall in the corner, the one to Royal, and if that doesn't work well then either one of those two again or maybe we'll try to squeeze it in to Scheffler.

We were predictable as all hell inside the 20's. Our play calling showed that Bates or Shanahan (or both) just wasn't comfortable trusting anyone else with the ball than Cutler to one of his core receivers.

Personally I think this past year has only served to stunt Cutler's growth as a QB. He got to air it out and throw to his favorite targets without exception, and when he forced it to one and it got picked it was treated as a "you dance with the devil you get burned" instance. That isn't acceptable.

McDaniels made a good point in his presser that a lot of Brady's and Cassel's success was derived from them learning how to read a defense pre-snap and knowing what was coming at them early. Our offense is basically just the opposite of that. Any even decent defense can read what we're going to do in the red zone and exploit us.

Dendave
01-13-2009, 05:23 AM
This organization is being completely liquidated from a coaching perspective. New offense, new terminology, new blocking schemes, you name it.

Good, start freash, it's his team now, let him do what he wants, bring in coaches and players he wants. Players & coaches that fit what he wants to do. Why look over your shoulder and say, oh this is the way you used to do it, oh okay. no bring in your people and start new...I am so happy right now...great hire