PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels will be calling the offensive plays

mr007
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
He just said he'll be orchestrating the offense. In case you're not catching the press conference, he intends to bring continuity to the defensive scheme, stating he's played against Denver 5-6 times the past 8 years and seen a different defensive scheme most times playing against us. He plans on installing one scheme and building on it with whatever DC is chosen.

montrose
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
See ya Jeremy...

BroncoBen
01-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I want coach McD to be calling the plays... if Jeremy Bates stays.. he could be the QBs coach.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
He just said he'll be orchestrating the offense. In case you're not catching the press conference, he intends to bring continuity to the defensive scheme, stating he's played against Denver 5-6 times the past 8 years and seen a different defensive scheme most times playing against us. He plans on installing one scheme and building on it with whatever DC is chosen.

i am happy about that. there was always too much tinkering going on with the defense, which is another reason we were bad. the players would get comfortable with one scheme and the next week we are doing something else.
we need just one defense, and add to it as we go, not completely change schemes week-to-week

Popps
01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
McDaniels has experience coaching QBs, as well.

Great stuff. I liked what Bates was doing, but could have stood to see more running. (Given, a healthy back helps.)

I've got a ton of confidence in McDaniels' ability to get major production out of our O.

Hopefully he's going to put the right staff in place for the D, so he can be somewhat hands-off and allow the defensive staff to do their jobs... something we haven't seen in Denver in a long time.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
McDaniels did a little bit of everything with New England. Should be fun.

:Broncos:

Bob
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Lets hope that he brings "continuity" to the offence...

Rohirrim
01-12-2009, 05:33 PM
If he cuts Bobby Turner loose he's not as smart as everybody says. Bobby is the Yoda of the NFL running game.

Broncojef
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Good Riddance...I don't care if I ever see a Bates called offensive series ever again. It seems our scripted plays played out fine and once he took over the gameplan on thefield things never clicked. Just tell me no wide receiver screens next year and I'm onboard.

colonelbeef
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
The thought of losing Bates, Turner, and Dennison makes me sick.

colonelbeef
01-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Good Riddance...I don't care if I ever see a Bates called offensive series ever again. It seems our scripted plays played out fine and once he took over the gameplan on thefield things never clicked. Just tell me no wide receiver screens next year and I'm onboard.

Never clicked? Were you watching the same team this year? 2nd best offense in the league, statistically. They just didn't get the ball enough due to terrible defense, and had too many RB injuries which really hurt in the red zone.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
The thought of losing Bates, Turner, and Dennison makes me sick.

He was hired to run his offense...i dont mind him bringing in his guys...cant have it both ways. Cant tell him what he can and cannot do with his o when you brought him here to install it

FISH
01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't think Bates is going anywhere....his roles will just be diminished at first

Finger Roll
01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
they should also think about keeping Jedd Fisch

lex
01-12-2009, 05:57 PM

Unfortunately it will probably be the opposite. Every time Ive watched New England, it seems like a majority of the offense flows through that one play. And as a result, it seems like a lot of his running plays are out of the SG.

Im going to continue pounding the guy until he demonstrates he can and is willing to run as a first option and also out of base formations--not the shotgun. I fear that his offense will score a lot of points but will lack sufficient balance to win big money games like what happened against the Giants. I also am expecting to commit to the run more. We need to fix the running game as well as the defense and we should be looking to run.

Broncoman13
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
If he cuts Bobby Turner loose he's not as smart as everybody says. Bobby is the Yoda of the NFL running game.

What if Bobby doesn't want to stay without Shanny or Dennison?

elsid13
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think Bates is going anywhere....his roles will just be diminished at first

Bates was given premission to find a new job if wanted. I highly doubt he sticks around. If Dennison get the 49ers jobs I expect Bates and Turner to follow him there.

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
If anyone knows the problems with our defense its the guy who threw 41 up on us back when we still thought we might be a contender.

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Why did Yoda draft Mo Clarrett when Brandon Jacobs was still on the board?

Force not so strong with that one I see. HMMMMM.

Broncoman13

Sounds reasonable to me. I think he can still be QB coach and learn McD's system while also contributing some of the old heritage/legacy Shanahan scheme that he knows. I hope he stays for the sake of Cutler. But it wouldn't surprise me if the new coach wanted to completely wipe the slate clean. No holdovers from a past regime and therefore less opportunity for internal strife. These guys are professional though. I'd bet that McD and Bates can form a pretty good working relationship IF both are willing... both are remarkable young minds.

elsid13
He was hired to run his offense...i dont mind him bringing in his guys...cant have it both ways. Cant tell him what he can and cannot do with his o when you brought him here to install it

He was hired to be the head coach, not the offense coordinator.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
NE Rushing statistics, 2008
513 Carries, 2278 yards, 4.4 average, 21 TDs (6th in the NFL)

NE Rushing Stats, 2007
451 Carries, 1849 yards, 4.1 average, 17 tds (13th in NFL)

Dont think he has a problem with calling the run if the offense skill set he has demands it.

extralife
01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Why did Yoda draft Mo Clarrett when Brandon Jacobs was still on the board?

Force not so strong with that one I see. HMMMMM.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Broncos front office wasn't calling up Turner and asking him for final clearance on who to draft. Nor would personnel decisions, should he ever make them, have much of an impact on his ability to coach. Come on man, we just came from 15 years of Mike Shanahan and you haven't even learned that much? Don't be an idiot.

lex
01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Broncos front office wasn't calling up Turner and asking him for final clearance on who to draft. Nor would personnel decisions, should he ever make them, have much of an impact on his ability to coach. Come on man, we just came from 15 years of Mike Shanahan and you haven't even learned that much? Don't be an idiot.

Actually, there was a piece done at the time about how Turner lobbied for Mo Clarett. I think Turner has ties to Ohio State.

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Actually, no. It was explicitly stated after the draft that Turner wanted Clarrett so they got him.

So catch a clue ass clown. He wanted Clarrett and it blew up in his face. He hasn't coached the "next great Broncos RB" since we shipped Portis out of town. So why exactly should we feel so damn attached to a guy who hasn't gotten the job done in nearly as many years as Shanahan?

So how about you stop being a jackass and learn what you're talking about?

elsid13
01-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Actually, there was a piece done at the time about how Turner lobbied for Mo Clarett. I think Turner has ties to Ohio State.

He has ties to Jim Brown, who asked him to met and council MoC. Shanahan drafted MoC because Turner thought he turned his life around and would fit the system. He was wrong on that one.

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
He has ties to Jim Brown, who asked him to met and council MoC. Shanahan drafted MoC because Turner thought he turned his life around and would fit the system. He was wrong on that one.

And people wonder why Shanahan got fired. We burnt a 3rd round pick on a tool because our RB coach liked what he saw on film over a year ago and got good word of mouth from a second hand source.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
And people wonder why Shanahan got fired. We burnt a 3rd round pick on a tool because our RB coach liked what he saw on film over a year ago and got good word of mouth from a second hand source.

A 3rd rd pick we wouldnt have had anyway? Doesnt matter now, does it?

TheDave
01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
With Dennison and Bates shopping I guess that means the ZBS is gone also...

elsid13
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM

A third round comp pick and with contact that cost us nothing. It was little risk and potential for good player. Wouldn't you trust someone on your staff that has proven track record of success?

Archer81
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I doubt the ZBS is gone. Everyone uses a form of it, NE included.

elsid13
01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
With Dennison and Bates shopping I guess that means the ZBS is gone also...

NE did adopt to ZBS two year ago, so thier is chance that it will stay. But when you have the masters of the system, don't you think you try to keep them around to help you be successful.

extralife
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Actually, no. It was explicitly stated after the draft that Turner wanted Clarrett so they got him.

So catch a clue ass clown. He wanted Clarrett and it blew up in his face. He hasn't coached the "next great Broncos RB" since we shipped Portis out of town. So why exactly should we feel so damn attached to a guy who hasn't gotten the job done in nearly as many years as Shanahan?

So now you have to have a superstar back in order to be a good coach? If anything I think it'd be the opposite! You think the best backs in the league need the best coaches? We ran for 2500 yards with Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne in 2005. That not good enough for you? We were middle of the league in rushing this year despite picking up a new guy off the scrap heap every week, running game plans built around the pass.

So Bobby Turner is a bad coach because he liked the game film of a kid that drank himself out of the league? Or is it because we haven't paid for a prime talent at his position?

BroncoFiend
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
He was hired to be the head coach, not the offense coordinator.

I believe Shanny called the plays during the Superbowl years.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM

He did. Kubes had input during the week but it was all Shanny come game time.

Wes Mantooth
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Never clicked? Were you watching the same team this year? 2nd best offense in the league, statistically. They just didn't get the ball enough due to terrible defense, and had too many RB injuries which really hurt in the red zone.

I was watching this offense and you can chuck stats out the door. They did little in the second quarter and much of the third of almost every game.

elsid13
01-12-2009, 06:35 PM

He was more experienced, and had Kubes running shotgun. Kube spent a lot time developing the game plans and working with Shanahan. There was one game in Seattle were Shanahan wasn't feeling it, and turned it over to Kubes to run the offense. That happened more then once. I don't see a Kubes clone as McDainiels side kick.

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
So now you have to have a superstar back in order to be a good coach? If anything I think it'd be the opposite! You think the best backs in the league need the best coaches? We ran for 2500 yards with Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne in 2005. That not good enough for you? We were middle of the league in rushing this year despite picking up a new guy off the scrap heap every week, running game plans built around the pass.

So Bobby Turner is a bad coach because he liked the game film of a kid that drank himself out of the league? Or is it because we haven't paid for a prime talent at his position?

He's not a bad coach, but he doesn't deserve the endless praise he gets heaped on him here. "Yoda of running backs"? Please. One of his biggest calling cards with TD and Portis was taking care of their fumbling issues, but Tatum Bell's never seemed to go away.

He's solidly above average and has hit a few homeruns in the past, I like having him, but he isn't irreplaceable or completely necessary for us to have success.

A third round comp pick and with contact that cost us nothing. It was little risk and potential for good player. Wouldn't you trust someone on your staff that has proven track record of success?

I'd have trusted him a lot more if he said for us to pick the 6'4", 265 pound freak from Southern Illinois.

Just sayin'.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Just have to do with the 6'2 250 lb freak from Arkansas...

extralife
Man I'm looking at Tatum's fumbling stats this year and it's weird but I'm seeing a bagel.

elsid13
He's not a bad coach, but he doesn't deserve the endless praise he gets heaped on him here. "Yoda of running backs"? Please. One of his biggest calling cards with TD and Portis was taking care of their fumbling issues, but Tatum Bell's never seemed to go away.

He's solidly above average and has hit a few homeruns in the past, I like having him, but he isn't irreplaceable or completely necessary for us to have success.

I'd have trusted him a lot more if he said for us to pick the 6'4", 265 pound freak from Southern Illinois.

Just sayin'.

There were a lot of folks that didn't think Jacobs would develop into the back he has become. And it took a long time for him too, and Turner might not have like how he ran in the ZBS.

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Man I'm looking at Tatum's fumbling stats this year and it's weird but I'm seeing a bagel.

And he cost us a playoff appearance in '06 because he was a choking b**** who coughed it up when hit hard.

You still haven't made a worthwhile point yet. You just keep trying to make an argument for why you aren't a jackass, but all I see is more reason to believe that you really are.

extralife
01-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Actually I've made a lot of points and you've made zero. It's cool though.

Drek
01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Actually I've made a lot of points and you've made zero. It's cool though.

Like how Turner DIDN'T want Clarrett?

Yeah, you were so damn on with that one. Way to knock it out of the park.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 06:52 PM

And there is no doubt in my mind that had not Clarett failed as a human being he would have succeeded under Bobby Turner as a RB.

I mean, MoC COULD have been an awesome back, but his utter failure at being human prevented it. You people think that Clarett was just a waste and by some measure you are right but there is NO DOUBT in my mind that he would have been a beast with Bobby Turner coaching him up if you know, he were even partially human.

Atlas
01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
This is a joke. Fire the best coach in the league for this???

Inkana7
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
This is a joke. Fire the best coach in the league for this???

The best coach in the league? Seriously?

Drek
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
And there is no doubt in my mind that had not Clarett failed as a human being he would have succeeded under Bobby Turner as a RB.

I mean, MoC COULD have been an awesome back, but his utter failure at being human prevented it. You people think that Clarett was just a waste and by some measure you are right but there is NO DOUBT in my mind that he would have been a beast with Bobby Turner coaching him up if you know, he were even partially human.

Clarrett had amazing talent. I said it on here when we drafted him, his freshman year when he got a head of steam he absorbed and came away from contact with more preserved momentum than all but a handful of backs.

To me that is what destinguishes a great runner. Barry Sanders was a runt but he could spin away from a tackle without losing even a half step. TD did the same thing, he could take shot after shot and he'd just keep turning lined up pile drivers into glancing blows and keep chugging downfield.

Clarrett had that. If he wasn't a scumbag person and stayed in school he'd probably be the best RB in the NFL.

But that is where scouting and management skills come in. If your staff can't notice that Clarrett of all people was a deeply troubled kid with very little maturity and a felon waiting to happen then well, you can't really trust them to do much at all can you?

That is why I consider it the massive draft failure of Shanahan's tenure. Not because we passed on a RB prospect I really liked at the time and have been proven right on (Jacobs). Not because we made the error of letting a positional coach make the call based on second hand evidence and old footage (though that does go on Turner). Its that Shanahan was so willing to overlook key aspects of scouting in order to keep his cards close to his vest and get a "sleeper" or "steal" that no one else saw coming.

In recent years he hasn't had that job and we've done markedly better. But he was doing the same thing with his positional coaches. He wasn't willing to consider that Slowik sucked at his job because he was his pal. He wouldn't consider that a lot of our players sucked because they were his guys and he was going to prove everyone wrong. He was too damn busy proving that he knew better than everyone else to make sure he was winning while he did it.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 07:06 PM

technically he is right. in quite a few games outside of our first 15 scripted plays we didn't do much offensively. and every other play seemed to be a ****ty screen that always was stopped for no gain or a loss.

i would like Bates to stay, but that is only to keep Jay happy, but I think Jay will have no problem with McDaniels teaching him next season. he is basically going to be trading in his QB coach for a more talented one.

Also, i don't worry about Jay not liking McDaniels, because Bowlen said he would be keeping Jay involved in who he chose for HC, meaning more than likely Jay gave his approval to the hiring already.

oubronco
01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
so what happened to MoC

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 07:12 PM

i understand him wanting Clarett. it was a big risk in drafting him, but had it worked out, he would have become one of the best RB's in the league.

looking back it was a stupid move, but at the time, had it worked, we would have applauded Mike and Turner for taking the risk in drafting him

TheDave
01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
so what happened to MoC

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/0103/20060103_115119_ol03clarett.jpg

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Drek, the pick we used on MoC was a compensation pick anyway. its not like we wasted it. And while Jacobs did indeed turn out to be a good back for NY, there is no telling whether or not he would have had the same success here in Denver. He doesnt seem like the type of back Denver was used to drafting. Too big and slow for the system.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/0103/20060103_115119_ol03clarett.jpg

He has made the switch to Wide "Receiver"

Archer81
01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
He has made the switch to Wide "Receiver"

He can no longer be called a "tight" end?

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Ugh, more homosexual innuendo.
Mr Kenney, please stop :)

Steve Sewell
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Im going to continue pounding the guy

Blart?

lex
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
i understand him wanting Clarett. it was a big risk in drafting him, but had it worked out, he would have become one of the best RB's in the league.

looking back it was a stupid move, but at the time, had it worked, we would have applauded Mike and Turner for taking the risk in drafting him

I dont. It was a waste of a pick. I dont agree with those who say it was wise to squander that pick. I didnt like it at the time. Dont forget, it was after drafting 3 CBs in a row.

lex
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Blart?

What does that mean? Who is Blart?

Bob
01-12-2009, 08:03 PM

So do you see Jimmy Neutron last year taking a team with 7 different RB's to 2nd place in the NFL -- I dont. He should muck with the Defence --- not the best coached O line in the NFL....

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 08:04 PM
so what happened to MoC
Look at it this way: On the very last play he ever participated in on a football field, MoC scored a touchdown to win the National Championship.

Not a bad way to end it ...

Bob
01-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately it will probably be the opposite. Every time Ive watched New England, it seems like a majority of the offense flows through that one play. And as a result, it seems like a lot of his running plays are out of the SG.

Im going to continue pounding the guy until he demonstrates he can and is willing to run as a first option and also out of base formations--not the shotgun. I fear that his offense will score a lot of points but will lack sufficient balance to win big money games like what happened against the Giants. I also am expecting to commit to the run more. We need to fix the running game as well as the defense and we should be looking to run.

Dude -- our running game is not broken -- our Rb's were...if Hillis stayed heathly (or fill in a RB here) we woudl not even be having this conversation...

maybe you are a Detriot fan with Dementia -- what games have you been watching for the last four years?

Our O-line is aurguably the best coached in the NFL -- despite what Dennison may lack he didnt forget the foundation that Gibbs taught him, which for some reason, few have been able to immitate around the NFL.

extralife
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Like how Turner DIDN'T want Clarrett?

Yeah, you were so damn on with that one. Way to knock it out of the park.

Well lets see here. Your stance is that Bobby Turner is not a very good running backs coach. My stance is that he is. Your defense of this is that he liked game film of a guy you admit you also liked game film of, and that he hasn't been given a supremely talented running back to work with. Very convincing thus far!

My argument--held to the last few years through some arbitrary decree of yours--is that we were second in the league in rushing in 2005 with mediocre talent, and were middle of the league this year (12th, actually) with zero consistency at the position and a passing system. We finished tied for second both this year and in '05 in yards per rush, should you prefer that statistic. I might add that since 2002 this was the only year we finished outside the top ten in rushing yards per game. We haven't finished outside the top ten in yards per carry once in that span.

You counter by saying YEAH BUT TATUM FUMBELED ONCE?!!?

I counter this by saying Tatum did not fumble the ball once this year. To this I will add that we ranked tied for 20th in the league this year in total fumbles. Two of those were Brandon Marshall's.

Mayhaps I should add that Clinton Portis fared much better in Denver than he has in Washington? Or would you like to talk about Grey Goose some more?

Bob
01-12-2009, 08:13 PM

7 running backs this year -- and the wheels didnt fall off until late ... how many coaches could have done that?

How come every damn Rb's with half a brain wants to go to Denver? Perhaps it has something with our ability year over year to make average RB's look good, and good RB's look like pro bowlers. Bronco fans are spoiled to the core when it comes to our offence.