PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Peter Principal in mind in what capacity was Mike Shanahan most effective

baja
01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Poll coming

Peter Principal;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Why do you think this position was the pinnacle of effectiveness for Mike?

baja
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I had to say OC because of his difficulties as a HC in finding a DC that could get it done.

Crushaholic
01-12-2009, 02:04 PM
No question about it. He was the man in charge during gameday.

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Let's see

As QB coach he succeeded in making Elway into league MVP (making too strong of a word, obviously Elway might have done it on his own, anyways he was there when it happened).

As OC he was in his prime element, taking over a Ferrari and beating the pants off of everyone in the race. Superbowl win (lol Chuggers, FAIL).

As HC, he won 2 Superbowls, was able to take Jake "this left handed throw will work" Plummer to the AFCCG, and was master of the smoke and mirrors keeping the offense chugging the last couple of years.

As GM/VP he was hit and miss, and I would lean more to miss, but not by much (55/45). He was the master of screwing the Redskins and drafting some O talent, beyond that it was mostly miss.

I voted HC, but he's somewhere in between HC and HC & GM.

listopencil
01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Hc

yerner
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Easy. Head Coach. He only became incompetent when he was forced to deal with general managing duties and other things outside of football.

colonelbeef
01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Let's see

As QB coach he succeeded in making Elway into league MVP (making too strong of a word, obviously Elway might have done it on his own, anyways he was there when it happened).

As OC he was in his prime element, taking over a Ferrari and beating the pants off of everyone in the race. Superbowl win (lol Chuggers, FAIL).

As HC, he won 2 Superbowls, was able to take Jake "this left handed throw will work" Plummer to the AFCCG, and was master of the smoke and mirrors keeping the offense chugging the last couple of years.

As GM/VP he was hit and miss, and I would lean more to miss, but not by much (55/45). He was the master of screwing the Redskins and drafting some O talent, beyond that it was mostly miss.

I voted HC, but he's somewhere in between HC and HC & GM.

this

baja
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
You gotta give him marks off for his inability to field a decent defense. I still say he was at his maximum value as the OC.

Do you guys understand the Peter Principal?

db56
01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
definitely HC

Popps
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Though, Shanahan was masterful in his early assembling of a balanced, championship-style team. His approach was so much different, it's led me to question if he was getting help from someone from a personnel-standpoint.

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
You gotta give him marks off for his inability to field a decent defense. I still say he was at his maximum value as the OC.

Do you guys understand the Peter Principal?

1 Superbowl win as OC
2 Superbowl wins as HC

The defense only fell completely apart the last few years, he was able to coach D pretty good before Shanahan the GM took over.

baja
01-12-2009, 07:40 PM
1 Superbowl win as OC
2 Superbowl wins as HC

The defense only fell completely apart the last few years, he was able to coach D pretty good before Shanahan the GM took over.

10 years of diminishing returns on defense is much more telling than 2 SB wins with mostly other coaches people

driver
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Peter principal in mind "Highest level of incompetence" how about firing good DC's hiring someone worse!