PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Williams thinks WW and DJ can play together in a 3-4

montrose
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Listening to the former Bronco on the radio right now. He thinks the Broncos personnel fits a 3-4 much better than a 4-3. He said DJ Williams and Wesley Woodyard could play the ILB and MLB positions, Elvis Dumervil one OLB position while Jarvis Moss and Boss Bailey could compete for the other.

Obviously it's not likely all these guys would work into these positions, but I find it interesting a former NFL player thinks it will work.

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I just heard this as well. Alfred also thought that Simeon Rice was a great hire, though. I trust Alfred when he talks about who is playing well and who isn't. When it comes to personnel moves, I think Alfred is not always on.

Rabb
01-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Boss could do it if he could stay on the field, he is probably made for that role...but he won't do it

good post though, I like Alfred quite a lot actually compared to a lot of the hacks on the radio

Mountain Bronco
01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Alfred has taken to many blows to the head. Denver sports talk is horrid.

Gcver2ver3
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
i agree with some of it...

i think WW can play Jack and DJ can play Will...

but we have no one on our roster IMO that can play the Mike right now...

Sam can be played by Doom...don't know if he is versatile enough but i'd like to see him given a shot...his pass rushing ability would be needed...

socalorado
01-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Alfred is right in that WWIII and DJ could play together but the rest of it is BS.
Jack - Wesley Woodyard
Will - DJ Williams
Mike - Rey Maualuga
Sam - Terrel Suggs

FS- OJ Atogwe
SS-Josh Barrett

So DEN aquires two FA's, and they draft a LB in the 1st round. Trade Moss and Dumervil. See ya. Build up draft picks and use them in a package to move up. Keep larsen and Winbourn as depth. Niko can stay if he takes a pay cut and plays STs. if not, beat it Niko.

HEAV
01-12-2009, 01:56 PM
3-4 is so going to rock...with the right staff!

no-pseudo-fan
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Alfred is right in that WWIII and DJ could play together but the rest of it is BS.
Jack - Wesley Woodyard
Will - DJ Williams
Mike - Spencer larsen
Sam - Terrel Suggs

FS- Taylor Mays
SS-Josh Barrett

So DEN aquires two FA's, and they draft a LB in the 1st round. Trade Moss and Dumervil. See ya. Build up draft picks and use them in a package to move up. Keep larsen and Winbourn as depth. Niko can stay if he takes a pay cut and plays STs. if not, beat it Niko.

I say put Spencer Larsen at MLB and draft Mays.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
We still need that nose tackle

WyoLaw
01-12-2009, 01:58 PM
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=evenrow><TD>92</TD><TD>James Harrison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4433)</TD><TD>LB</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>6-0</TD><TD>242</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD>Kent State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow><TD>92</TD><TD>Elvis Dumervil (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9712)</TD><TD>DL</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>5-11</TD><TD>260</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD>Louisville</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just for comparison.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Jack - Wesley Woodyard
Will - DJ Williams
Mike - Rey Maualuga
Sam - Terrel Suggs

FS- OJ Atogwe
SS-Josh Barrett

So you trade Moss & Dumervil but keep Niko? Don't think Pat has that type of spare change or cap room.

WolfpackGuy
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Did the Broncos sign a stud NT? WTF is Williams smokin?

Dudeskey
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Yup. Can Haynesworth play nose?

Gcver2ver3
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Jack - Wesley Woodyard
Will - DJ Williams
Mike - Rey Maualuga
Sam - Terrel Suggs

FS- OJ Atogwe
SS-Josh Barrett

i wouldn't be so quick to cast Doom aside...he may be worth at least a look...

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm sure he can, i'm not sure pat is going to pay the money to secure him.

barryr
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
You still need big type DL to play a 3-4. 270lb guys won't cut it and a big NT is essential to take on two blockers and really all your DL will need to be able to take on two OL, so big guys are needed.

The Pats run a 3-4 and start 3 DL all at least 300 pounds and the Steelers I believe all starting DL that are 300+ as well or at least 290.

Rabb
01-12-2009, 02:13 PM

I am so hoping they draft Mays, him alone would make the secondary better

I am equally excited for what this 3-4 could mean for the corners if they get the right line together

(Jae)
01-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Better question would be, does he even WANT to play Nose tackle?

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
You still need big type DL to play a 3-4. 270lb guys won't cut it and a big NT is essential to take on two blockers and really all your DL will need to be able to take on two OL, so big guys are needed.

The Pats run a 3-4 and start 3 DL all at least 300 pounds and the Steelers I believe all starting DL that are 300+ as well or at least 290.

Already taken care of:

DE: Marcus Thomas
NT: Raji/Brace/Powell/FA
DE: D. Robertson

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Shlereth says first time HC's piss the bed a lot. Alfred brings up David Shula when he played for the Bengals, wonders if it's the same situation.

Elway777
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Sign Suggs and Atogwe as free agent then draft 1.Everrett Brown 2. Tyler Jackson 3. Ron Brace 4. Jasper Brinkley .
Rc Bly Fs Atogwe SS Brrnett Lc Bailey
Jack Brown Will Williams Mike Brinkley Sam Suggs
Rde Thomas Nt Brace Lde Jackson

PRBronco
01-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Already taken care of:

I hope Powell can at least be a decent sub at nose tackle. Found a promising little blurb in his combine review:
"Has room on his frame to add another 15 pounds of bulk without having it affect his balance or quickness"

socalorado
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM

That might work! Except theres no reason to sign mays with Atogwe signed in FA. (hypothetical of course!)

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Shlereth and Williams ragging on the Broncos for shedding Bert Berry and Pryce.

socalorado
01-12-2009, 02:24 PM
i wouldn't be so quick to cast Doom aside...he may be worth at least a look...

I think he would end up being worth more traded along with Moss.
Isnt DEN 30 million under the cap? I have no doubt that Bowlen will spend with the new regime in place.

Inkana7
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm sure they can, but the most important part of our new defense is going to be the D-Line. I bet Marcus and Crowder can play End, but we NEED a STUD NT for it to work at all.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Man, Schlereth and Williams are ragging on the Broncs.

MABroncoFan
01-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Berry's a FA this year

PRBronco
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
That might work! Except theres no reason to sign mays with Atogwe signed in FA. (hypothetical of course!)

In this hypothetical universe where have addressed safety through free agency and are comfortable with whoever are our 2 ILBs, I'd consider Tyson Jackson at #12, and look at Ron Brace for a nose tackle of the future in the second.

Rohirrim
01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I'll bet Mustard could play NT. ;D

MABroncoFan
01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
A couple of 3-4 DEs that are FA's that I noticed are Igor Olshansky of the Chargers and Chris Canty of the Cowboys.

montrose
01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I'll bet Mustard could play NT. ;D

Don't strike fear into the rest of the AFC West's Centers yet.

chaz
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Sign Suggs and Atogwe as free agent then draft 1.Everrett Brown 2. Tyler Jackson 3. Ron Brace 4. Jasper Brinkley .
Rc Bly Fs Atogwe SS Brrnett Lc Bailey
Jack Brown Will Williams Mike Brinkley Sam Suggs
Rde Thomas Nt Brace Lde Jackson

I like this A LOT...

SoDak Bronco
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
josh barrett is not a starting safety. please find an upgrade.

socalorado
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
josh barrett is not a starting safety. please find an upgrade.

He is a starting SS, if DEN could pair him with someone like Otogwe. Suddenly he would look as good as Leonard looks along side Reed in BALT.
The kid is good and made strides, he was asked to play an idiotic scheme, by a idiot DC.

Inkana7
01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
He'd probably be a decent in the box safety. But I don't trust his fat ass to cover centerfield.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
He is a starting SS, if DEN could pair him with someone like Otogwe. Suddenly he would look as good as Leonard looks along side Reed in BALT.
The kid is good and made strides, he was asked to play an idiotic scheme, by a idiot DC.

I don't know. Barrett had an abnormal number of plays where he simply lowered his head and creamed a teammate, and by doing so, took them both out of the play. That never sat right with me.

socalorado
01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
He'd probably be a decent in the box safety. But I don't trust his fat ass to cover centerfield.

DEn doesnt need him to cover centerfield! A i said, OTOGWE would be the FS! Hes a border-line pro bowl, ballhawking FS. This would allow Barrett much more freedom to make plays at the LOS.

chaz
01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
A couple of 3-4 DEs that are FA's that I noticed are Igor Olshansky of the Chargers and Chris Canty of the Cowboys.

I've never liked igor but canty would be a guy i'd go after. With Canty, Igor, Dansby, Suggs, Scott, etc...there will be some impact front seven guys that have played 3-4

dbfan21
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Why? They shouldn't be. The contracts they received are not worth the production they put out since joining the Cards and Ravens, respectively.

socalorado
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't know. Barrett had an abnormal number of plays where he simply lowered his head and creamed a teammate, and by doing so, took them both out of the play. That never sat right with me.

But it was good to see someone getting creamed out there! Just wish it wasnt Woodyard!
Hey, he was a rookie on a horrid defense, just trying desperately to make a play. I swear, i saw that kid 45 yards behind the LOS at times this year! Guy would be running full steam at the RB for like 50 yards to try and make a tackle.
No joke Slowdick was a moron!

MagicHef
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Already taken care of:

Does any one have any idea if any of these rather large UFA's would be a decent signing for NT?

DT Gabe Watson UFA 3 6-4/340 Michigan Arizona
DT Colin Cole UFA 4 6-2/325 Iowa Green Bay
DT Jimmy Kennedy UFA 5 6-4/320 Penn State Jacksonville
DT Kenderick Allen UFA 5 6-5/330 LSU Minnesota

chaz
01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Does any one have any idea if any of these rather large UFA's would be a decent signing for NT?

watson is the only one who has played on sundays as far as I know

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 02:49 PM
watson is the only one who has played on sundays as far as I know

jimmy Kennedy was here already

socalorado
01-12-2009, 02:50 PM

OR
Ron Brace, Boston College
Height: 6-3. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.25.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
1/10/09: The monstrous Ron Brace collected 10 TFL and 2.5 sacks in 2008. He'll be highly sought after toward the end of Day 1, as quality nose tackles are hard to come by.

5/9/08: Took over for B.J. Raji as Boston College's mammoth nose tackle. Ron Brace started seven games and recorded 7.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks, earning an All-ACC honorable mention.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Isnt DEN 30 million under the cap? I have no doubt that Bowlen will spend with the new regime in place.

i agree, i think we are in for a huge offseason this year.

PRBronco
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM

Holy hell gabe watson is a free agent? Didn't he just demolish us in the preseason?

Broncos_OTM
01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Before you get your safety or even your linebackers. YOU HAVE TO START ON THE LINE IN THIS SCHEME.

Broncos_OTM
01-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Holy hell gabe watson is a free agent? Didn't he just demolish us in the preseason?
RFA.... if it is a low tender id be alright with it

UberBroncoMan
01-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Don't forget this year is the contract year for our 2006 class (outside of Cutler)

We have to pay big to Marshall + we need to lock up Scheffler, Kuper etc.

elsid13
01-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Sign Ronalds Field (NT 325 pounder) from SF. He young player (27) having a good season and has two recently signed guys in front of him ~Franklin and Sopoaga

chaz
01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
jimmy Kennedy was here already

ya, didn't think he ever saw the field...wrong?

Elway777
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
What do you think of Nic Clemens and Kenny Patterson as backup DE . The Broncos could already have 3 guys that could work well as 3-4 Defensive ends in Thomas, Clemens and Patterson.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
ya, didn't think he ever saw the field...wrong?

I think he was cut during training camp? I cant reemmber...i rememher us wasting a 6th rounder on him.

Broncoman13
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Actually, putting Larsen in the middle makes sense. I like the idea of Atogwe at safety and then using that first on the beef the DL needs in Raji.

eddie mac
01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
The ideal size/weight for a prototype 3-4 end is 6-5 290-300 lbs so that rules Robertson out. The height needs to be there for players to get their arms up in the passing lanes. Robertson is NT here or bust. Thomas may be able to play 3-4 end at a stretch much like Castillo who's 6-3 in SD and Nolan's defense will be a mirror image of the 1 gap 3-4 SD currently use.

The best fits at present for that new 3-4 DL are

Carlton Powell NT 6-2 300 but has the wide frame to put on more weight
Tim Crowder DE 6-4 275, an extra 15lbs and he's near enough the ideal size and is a power end by trait
Nic Clemons DE 6-6 300 this guy could be a starter IMO if we dont find anyone better right away. Has shown flashes but a 3-4 suits him down to the ground, worst case scenario, he's a decent back-up.

At a stretch

Marcus Thomas DE 6-3 305
Kenny Peterson DE 6-3 300

Plus you can forget about the majority of Denver LB's being here next year because as they've shown in the past, they are just not big enough to take on OL and that'll be their job in this scheme.

So if you want to really evaluate current Bronco players eligibility (size wise) for Nolan's scheme do some comparisons with SD or SF.

Br0nc0Buster
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Before you get your safety or even your linebackers. YOU HAVE TO START ON THE LINE IN THIS SCHEME.

agreed.
It doesnt matter who you have in the secondary if the line is crap.
We should spend high picks on a NT and DE for our 3-4, assuming we go to a 3-4
Something like Cody, or Brace, or Raji with the first, and possibly Tyson Jackson if he falls in the second.
But I am not a draft expert so I dont know what potential 34 ends are out there.

Br0nc0Buster
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Actually, putting Larsen in the middle makes sense. I like the idea of Atogwe at safety and then using that first on the beef the DL needs in Raji.

I think Larson could make a good strong side Mike.
I would put DJ at the weakside Mike, but I am not sure where that leaves Woodyard

Archer81
01-12-2009, 04:54 PM
The ideal size/weight for a prototype 3-4 end is 6-5 290-300 lbs so that rules Robertson out. The height needs to be there for players to get their arms up in the passing lanes. Robertson is NT here or bust. Thomas may be able to play 3-4 end at a stretch much like Castillo who's 6-3 in SD and Nolan's defense will be a mirror image of the 1 gap 3-4 SD currently use.

The best fits at present for that new 3-4 DL are

Carlton Powell NT 6-2 300 but has the wide frame to put on more weight
Tim Crowder DE 6-4 275, an extra 15lbs and he's near enough the ideal size and is a power end by trait
Nic Clemons DE 6-6 300 this guy could be a starter IMO if we dont find anyone better right away. Has shown flashes but a 3-4 suits him down to the ground, worst case scenario, he's a decent back-up.

At a stretch

Marcus Thomas DE 6-3 305
Kenny Peterson DE 6-3 300

Plus you can forget about the majority of Denver LB's being here next year because as they've shown in the past, they are just not big enough to take on OL and that'll be their job in this scheme.

So if you want to really evaluate current Bronco players eligibility (size wise) for Nolan's scheme do some comparisons with SD or SF.

Pittsburgh's Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are 6'5, 295 and 6'5, 285. Are you referencing height as being ideal or just weight?

Thomas and Peterson are not that far away from it. If their main job is gap control, both can do it.

:Broncos:

eddie mac
01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Pittsburgh's Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are 6'5, 295 and 6'5, 285. Are you referencing height as being ideal or just weight?

Thomas and Peterson are not that far away from it. If their main job is gap control, both can do it.

:Broncos:

The height is a major issue for blocking passing lanes ask any fan of a team with a 3-4 defense. Only a few guys in the league start at 6-3 like Castillo.