PDA

View Full Version : What Pats fans are saying about McDaniels leaving.

DBruleU
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/206396-per-espn-josh-mcdaniels-new-hc-broncos-capers-will-follow.html

If anyone is interested.

backup qb
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Interesting to read. Overall complimentary.

Popps
01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a popular guy. But, most coaches are when teams are winning.

There must be something to the guy. To be 32 and running a pro offense, and being considered the best coaching prospect out there is pretty crazy.

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a popular guy. But, most coaches are when teams are winning.

There must be something to the guy.
Clearly. His interview was what got him the job. We'll see.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
What he did with Cassell this year was amazing.

Remember - Belichick yanked Cassell out of a game last year when he threw an Int-Ret-TD in mop-up time. Stupid Belichick RE-insterted Brady. That's pretty ego-deflating I think, so all the more amazing what McD did with him this year.

enjolras
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Interesting reading those.. they sound a lot like we did in the late 90's.

"As long as we still have Shannahan, we'll be fine."
"As long as Bowlen is signing the checks, things will be ok"

Going to be tough for them when reality fully catches up.

OBF1
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Seems most liked him and wish him well

Borks147
01-12-2009, 12:41 PM
nothing like the Giants fans I talked to about Spags. Most of them wanted to FIRE Coughlin and promote Spags. This was BEFORE yesterday's loss too. oh well, McD is the guy, and I'll support him.

Rashid242
01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Interesting reading those.. they sound a lot like we did in the late 90's.

"As long as we still have Shannahan, we'll be fine."
"As long as Bowlen is signing the checks, things will be ok"

Going to be tough for them when reality fully catches up.

People said the same thing when Charlie Weiss left. "What the hell is Bill doing letting a 29 year old with almost zero NFL offensive expierence lead a Tom Brady Super Bowl ready team?"

Belichick will plug another nobody just like he did when Crennel left with Mangini & then Dean Peas.

DenverBrit
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
A mature reaction and minimum drama queen activity. Nice! :thumbs:

frerottenextelway
01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
"But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush."

Ha.

tonngo0
01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Well, Bowlen didn't fire Shanny as a coach, he fired Shanny as a GM. If Bowlen ask Shanny to step as a GM, Shanny would take it as a slap in the face, so that's the reason Bowlen fired Shanny. McD is a innovator as Shanny was 14 years ago. Since Shanny took over the Broncos, the DC always been a thorn, it does matter who Shanny hired, it was never good enough, even Ray Rohde. It is like some of you said, you hire someone you are familiar with and looking at all Shanny DC and those are all he is familiar with. Shanny should have hired Dick LeBeau in 2003 ... no he hired Larry Coyer. Same thing when Ron Riveria was not retained by the Bears, he hired Jim Bate. The problem Shanny always has is defense. So hopefully, McD hired a better DC.

Drek
01-12-2009, 01:43 PM
People said the same thing when Charlie Weiss left. "What the hell is Bill doing letting a 29 year old with almost zero NFL offensive expierence lead a Tom Brady Super Bowl ready team?"

Belichick will plug another nobody just like he did when Crennel left with Mangini & then Dean Peas.

Peas sucks, the NE sports board I frequent was pretty equally divided over what pissed them off more, losing McDaniels or possibly losing Capers and being stuck with Peas.

The big thing people who make this "its Belicheck and and he'll keep plugging guys in!" argument always overlook is the roles each of these "plugs" played in the Pats coaching staff. Mangini had his role repeatedly shrunken because he didn't get the results Belicheck wanted. Meanwhile Belicheck let a 28 year old McDaniels call the offensive plays as just a QB coach, then take over the offense completely and be the official offensive coordinator at 29.

He gave McDaniels more freedom and control over his facet of the team than he'd ever given any of his previous assistants across the board. At 32 he has basically been Belicheck's most trusted assistant of all time. That is some freakishly high praise by action.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
my only worry is that McDaniels wins a super bowl or 2 in the next 4 years and Bowlen ends up giving him the same powers he gave Mike.

i just want him to coach and that is it, no more power trips by the coach.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
my only worry is that McDaniels wins a super bowl or 2 in the next 4 years

I don't care what comes after that sentence fragment......it could be "and cheats with all our wives," and I'd be ok with it.

McLuvin
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Sounds like there going to miss a real genius!!!

I like i like

Bronx33
01-12-2009, 02:05 PM
It was pretty impressive that McDaniels adjusted the offense so cassels could function pretty damn well after losing marsha, that was not an easy situation to deal with.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
"But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush."

Ha.
Only if Gates suddenly lost his $50 billion or whatever it is and ended up sacking groceries at WalMart to make ends meet, and Bush then had a brain transplant.

supermanhr9
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
All I gotta say is change is exciting, not always positive, we'll see. I think what happens this off season in FA and the Draft will be a huge "tone" setter with how this new staff is going to run the team. If our first pick isn't a stud defensive guy then someone start the mutiny and I'll follow. But for now, lets support "the kid"

Rashid242
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Peas sucks, the NE sports board I frequent was pretty equally divided over what pissed them off more, losing McDaniels or possibly losing Capers and being stuck with Peas.

The big thing people who make this "its Belicheck and and he'll keep plugging guys in!" argument always overlook is the roles each of these "plugs" played in the Pats coaching staff. Mangini had his role repeatedly shrunken because he didn't get the results Belicheck wanted. Meanwhile Belicheck let a 28 year old McDaniels call the offensive plays as just a QB coach, then take over the offense completely and be the official offensive coordinator at 29.

He gave McDaniels more freedom and control over his facet of the team than he'd ever given any of his previous assistants across the board. At 32 he has basically been Belicheck's most trusted assistant of all time. That is some freakishly high praise by action.

Peas sucks my ass. They didn't miss a beat when Mangini left. They gave up the least amount of points in football his first year.

The fact is no matter what coach has left the Patriots staff over the years they continue to win games & be contenders ever single year.

Until proven otherwise. McDaniels isn't any different then Weiss leaving or Romeo or Mangini.

Until someone Belichick retires or someone kidnaps him. The Patriots ain't missing a beat.

Tom Brady is the offesnive coordinator anyway really.

Captain 'Dre
01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
What I want to know is, will Jay listen to Josh?

Drek
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Peas sucks my ass. They didn't miss a beat when Mangini left. They gave up the least amount of points in football his first year.

Because Belichick has been running the defense the entire time.

The fact is no matter what coach has left the Patriots staff over the years they continue to win games & be contenders ever single year.

Until proven otherwise. McDaniels isn't any different then Weiss leaving or Romeo or Mangini.

Until someone Belichick retires or someone kidnaps him. The Patriots ain't missing a beat.

Mangini and Crennel were the equivalent of positional coaches on that team, Belichick always had final say in the defense. Weis went to a situation where you can't make direct comparison, but even if you try McDaniels' offense greatly out-performed Weis', often with a lot of the same talent.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 05:42 PM

Hmm...Mangini...no franchise QB in NY...Crennel...no franchise QB in Cleveland..McDaniels...Jay Cutler. He has a good chance of success, he has an offense here. He needs to fix the defense. His job is relatively easy in comparison to the jobs in NY and Cleveland. But you can say mangini and crennel left NY and Cle in better shape then when they got there.

:Broncos:

McLuvin
01-12-2009, 05:47 PM
What I want to know is, will Jay listen to Josh?

Jays a smart guy, All he has to do is look at what josh did with Cassell and the fact that the patriots set two records under Josh the last two years.

Atlas
01-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Ha.

I agree. McDaniels is probably a fine coach, but I expected more.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I think once you see what he has planned you won't doubt it. From what I have gathered and read and heard I have a good feeling about him.

Steve Sewell
01-12-2009, 07:28 PM
my only worry is that McDaniels wins a super bowl or 2 in the next 4 years and Bowlen ends up giving him the same powers he gave Mike.

i just want him to coach and that is it, no more power trips by the coach.

If he wins 2 SB's in the next 4 years he can do whatever the **** he wants.

Malcontent
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree. McDaniels is probably a fine coach, but I expected more.

More? such as??

Taco John
01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I think once you see what he has planned you won't doubt it. From what I have gathered and read and heard I have a good feeling about him.

It sounds like the plan right now is to turn the organization on its head. The reason that I'm skeptical right now is that we're throwing out the baby with the bath water. Turner, Dennison, and Bates are all hitting the bricks. Our young offense is going to be exposed to a new system with new coaches and new jargon. We're essentially throwing away two years of cohesion and progress. And to boot, we're doing it during a year that we're faced with the toughest schedule that I can remember ever seeing the Broncos have.

Whatever the plan is, I'm sure it looks fine. But if it doesn't get results in year one, there's going to be a lot of grumbling in the locker room, and a Denver media chomping at the bit to air it out to the rest of the world.

At the end of the day, we're not just replacing a coach - we're replacing a culture. In my opinion, with this schedule, it's a very risky time to replace a culture. If we get started off on the wrong foot, we could be hopping around aimlessly for a long time.

Man-Goblin
01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
It sounds like the plan right now is to turn the organization on its head. The reason that I'm skeptical right now is that we're throwing out the baby with the bath water. Turner, Dennison, and Bates are all hitting the bricks. Our young offense is going to be exposed to a new system with new coaches and new jargon. We're essentially throwing away two years of cohesion and progress. And to boot, we're doing it during a year that we're faced with the toughest schedule that I can remember ever seeing the Broncos have.

Whatever the plan is, I'm sure it looks fine. But if it doesn't get results in year one, there's going to be a lot of grumbling in the locker room, and a Denver media chomping at the bit to air it out to the rest of the world.

At the end of the day, we're not just replacing a coach - we're replacing a culture. In my opinion, with this schedule, it's a very risky time to replace a culture. If we get started off on the wrong foot, we could be hopping around aimlessly for a long time.

I'm with you on wishing they would just let the offense mature as it was.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I think Bowlen saw that Culture and didn't like it. I think Shanny lost the team. I can't back it up except with tidbits here and there and info from people I deem reliable. I think Bowlen had enough and the message was clearly sent today by coach McDaniels. Nothing but the best, nothing but 110%, and nothing but excellence is expected.

Will it work, that remains to be seen but I understand why Bowlen did it. Even if it meant losing Shanahan the coach because Shanahan the GM needed to go.

NYBronc
01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Less complimentary at <A HREF="http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=42050">patriots planet.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Eh what really matters is what happens on the field not what internet fans say. Thats what people say here at least. And Belicheck basically said the opposite of what those guys said. His opinion is a tad bit more important I think.

I hope I am right but I understand that this could backfire too.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Why don't the stations and papers interview Daniel Graham? He's the one that we can learn from about McDaniels. Duhhhh....

Man-Goblin
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Why don't the stations and papers interview Daniel Graham? He's the one that we can learn from about McDaniels. Duhhhh....

There was apparently an interview with Chad Jackson....I missed it though. I am sure he was very complimentary.