PDA

View Full Version : Expectations of Broncos New Head Coach

rastaman
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Okay OrangeMane Faithful! We got a young unproven 32 year old coach w/o HC experience, yet he comes from a winning organization and learned the professional game under Bella-Check! So in my opinion McDaniel has a 50/50 chance of success; but the pitfalls are too many to count.

The fact remains, McDaniel's will be under the shadow of Shanahan until he wins! Will McDaniel's have the same record and success as Shanahan had during Mike's initial first 4 years (95-98) as HC?

Fair or not McDaniel's will be judged and under the microscope of how Shanahan performed from 95-98! or from 95-02!!!

Point is, Shanahan established a high level of success for a HC the first 4 years. How long will it take for McDaniel's to string together a couple of season as HC that equates to the success Shanahan had? Can McDaniel's even equal Shanahan's from 95-98 success over a four year period, a 6 year period, or even an 8 year period!

What would be a fair expectation for McDaniel's? So will the fans and Bowlen lower the bar of expectation and be patient enough to allow the new head coach to achieve Shanahan's record from 99-02? During this period, Shanahan went 6-10, 11-5, 8-8, 9-7, 34-30! With only one playoff appearance with no wins in that 4 year span!!

So you see, Shanahan's success during his first 4 years as Denver HC will be a tough legacy to follow. Something tells me already the bar of expectations and success has been lowered when it comes to McDaniel's.

Can McDaniel's accumulate a regular season record of 47-17, a playoff record of 7-1, and TWO consecutive SB rings!!!! In just 4 short years??? Will the fans and Bowlen give McDaniel's 8 years to prove he can live up to Shanahan's legacy of 81 wins, 47 losses, and a 7-2 playoff record, with two consecutive SB wins during Shanny's first 8 years in Denver!!!

Better yet!, will the Broncos new head coach achieve Shanahan's record over his last 6 years in Denver of 57-39?

Point is folks, anyway you cut it the legacy and foreboding shadow of Shanahan will forever remain a factor here in Denver and bearing down on any newly hired HC that comes to Denver in the post Shanahan era!!!

Remember, we haven't even begun to talk about the impact of it all should Shanahan win 2 or 3 SB's over an 8 year span with the new team that hires him, while over the same 8 year period, the post Shanahan Broncos have not appeared in any SB's, very few playoffs, or few playoff wins period.

So one can say "Things will get interesting" to say the least.

Smiling Assassin27
01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Day one: Potty training...

frerottenextelway
01-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Our New Head Coach:

http://www.shoprockamerica.com/import/images/cad_bfg0001_dt.jpg

Popps
01-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Our New Head Coach:

http://www.shoprockamerica.com/import/images/cad_bfg0001_dt.jpg

:rofl:

Taco John
01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
McDaniels will have some high expectations to fill. Being in the shadow of Shanahan is just a metaphor though. The reality is any coach would be expected to come in here and get this team in contention quickly regardless of who they are following. I think that generally, people will be inclined to forgive McDaniels if he misses the playoffs in his first year here - I could be wrong. But if we're not serious contenders by year two, I think you'll start to see people call for his head.

I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that. We have a tough schedule this year. Making it to the playoffs would probably buy McDaniels at least three full years to implement his full program.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Considering our schedule for next year, the complete mess that Shanahan left the team in and a new scheme on defense and possibly offense too?

Year 1: 6-10 optimistically, 3rd in AFC West.
Year 2: 8-8, 3rd in AFC West
Year 3: 16-0, 579 points, Superbowl losers.

Rohirrim
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
After the last three years, all I'm hoping is the Broncos can put together a team that doesn't fizzle out as the season progesses. If I can see steady progress from game one to game sixteen, I'm okay with it.

Pick Six
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Okay OrangeMane Faithful! We got a young unproven 32 year old coach w/o HC experience, yet he comes from a winning organization and learned the professional game under Bella-Check! So in my opinion McDaniel has a 50/50 chance of success; but the pitfalls are too many to count.

The fact remains, McDaniel's will be under the shadow of Shanahan until he wins! Will McDaniel's have the same record and success as Shanahan had during Mike's initial first 4 years (95-98) as HC?

Fair or not McDaniel's will be judged and under the microscope of how Shanahan performed from 95-98! or from 95-02!!!

Point is, Shanahan established a high level of success for a HC the first 4 years. How long will it take for McDaniel's to string together a couple of season as HC that equates to the success Shanahan had? Can McDaniel's even equal Shanahan's from 95-98 success over a four year period, a 6 year period, or even an 8 year period!

What would be a fair expectation for McDaniel's? So will the fans and Bowlen lower the bar of expectation and be patient enough to allow the new head coach to achieve Shanahan's record from 99-02? During this period, Shanahan went 6-10, 11-5, 8-8, 9-7, 34-30! With only one playoff appearance with no wins in that 4 year span!!

So you see, Shanahan's success during his first 4 years as Denver HC will be a tough legacy to follow. Something tells me already the bar of expectations and success has been lowered when it comes to McDaniel's.

Can McDaniel's accumulate a regular season record of 47-17, a playoff record of 7-1, and TWO consecutive SB rings!!!! In just 4 short years??? Will the fans and Bowlen give McDaniel's 8 years to prove he can live up to Shanahan's legacy of 81 wins, 47 losses, and a 7-2 playoff record, with two consecutive SB wins during Shanny's first 8 years in Denver!!!

Better yet!, will the Broncos new head coach achieve Shanahan's record over his last 6 years in Denver of 57-39?

Point is folks, anyway you cut it the legacy and foreboding shadow of Shanahan will forever remain a factor here in Denver and bearing down on any newly hired HC that comes to Denver in the post Shanahan era!!!

Remember, we haven't even begun to talk about the impact of it all should Shanahan win 2 or 3 SB's over an 8 year span with the new team that hires him, while over the same 8 year period, the post Shanahan Broncos have not appeared in any SB's, very few playoffs, or few playoff wins period.

So one can say "Things will get interesting" to say the least.

Is John Elway and Terrell Davis going to be rejoining the team? The fact is that Shanahan had some special players during the Super Bowl years. McDaniels has the opportunity to continue Cutler's progression and add some new wrinkles to the offense. He will absolutely be compared to Shanahan's opening few years, but I have faith the kid is up to the challenge. He was tutored by one of the best in the business (even though Shanahan owned Belichick for many years...lol)

Taco John
01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
the complete mess that Shanahan left the team in...

Did you start smoking weed again or something! :rofl:

Hotrod
01-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Immediate sucess will depend greatly on the new staff and what they do with FA's and the Draft.

A few nice additions and finally some D coachs with a ****ing clue and this could turn around quickly.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2009, 10:08 AM
McDaniels will have some high expectations to fill. Being in the shadow of Shanahan is just a metaphor though. The reality is any coach would be expected to come in here and get this team in contention quickly regardless of who they are following. I think that generally, people will be inclined to forgive McDaniels if he misses the playoffs in his first year here - I could be wrong. But if we're not serious contenders by year two, I think you'll start to see people call for his head.

I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that. We have a tough schedule this year. Making it to the playoffs would probably buy McDaniels at least three full years to implement his full program.

I expected to go deep next year. If he doesn't I will consider it a failure. That doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water, but I have high expectations for the offense and the defense has no where to go but up.

Popps
01-12-2009, 10:09 AM
After the last three years, all I'm hoping is the Broncos can put together a team that doesn't fizzle out as the season progesses. If I can see steady progress from game one to game sixteen, I'm okay with it.

:thumbs:

tsiguy96
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
as long as the whole team shows improvement. he deserves 3 years to turn this team around, if in 3 years we arent doing awesome, maybe try a different direction.

Merlin
01-12-2009, 10:12 AM
He was tutored by one of the best in the business
Yeah, because his other disciples turned out so well LOL

Popps
01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
The reality is that the prior staff left us with almost nothing on defense. Since defense is how you win playoff games, it's a lot to expect the kid to put together a playoff D in one season. Shanahan couldn't do it in 10.

That said, there's basically nowhere to go but up, and the offense is in great shape with a healthy Hillis and perhaps the addition of one more RB.

SD will be tough again, and there's a good chance Oakland and KC are better next year. Add a tough schedule, and expectations have to stay in check.

But, like Rohirrim said and I've said many times... this team just needs to show imrpovement as the year wears on. We're not winning a SB this coming season, so it's all about getting pieces in place and building a proper playoff structured team.

tsiguy96

the jets were not bad, and many of the players wanted romeo crennel to stay. i dont know how anyone would be able to turn the browns around.

BroncoInferno

The lack of success of Crennel, Mangini, and Weiss are unique, individual situations that have no bearing or relevance in terms of how McDaniels will perform here. Making some sort of correlation is just silly.

rastaman
01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Is John Elway and Terrell Davis going to be rejoining the team? The fact is that Shanahan had some special players during the Super Bowl years. McDaniels has the opportunity to continue Cutler's progression and add some new wrinkles to the offense. He will absolutely be compared to Shanahan's opening few years, but I have faith the kid is up to the challenge. He was tutored by one of the best in the business (even though Shanahan owned Belichick for many years...lol)

The key here in my opinion is that the fans and Bowlen must have the patients of up to 6 to 8 years to allow McDaniels to sink or swim. Then in year 7 or 9 would be a good time to start looking elsewhere. This is the timeline Bowlen would be wise to stick with, while ignoring the hordes of impatient bronco fans.

No more short term solutions and bringing in a new coach every 3 years. Also, Cutler is the next best comparison to Elway and developing a RBBC to replace TD's performance, is McDaniels best shot at returning Denver to the SB.

We as fans have got to stand by this new coach at least 3 years and then in year 4 and 5 expect some AFC TITLES and SB runs.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Did you start smoking weed again or something! :rofl:

So, an average offense, and among the leagues 5 worst defenses and special teams is not a mess?

Shanny had the offense on the right track, but the defense and special teams are a ****ing disaster and last time I checked a football team is composed of THREE parts, not just one.

Br0nc0Buster
01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Not folding down the stretch would be nice to see.

I just hope we see a competent defense next year.
I think we will be a fringe playoff team, so just planting the seeds and getting a good foundation going would be good enough for me

Taco John
01-12-2009, 10:33 AM
So, an average offense, and among the leagues 5 worst defenses and special teams is not a mess?

Shanny had the offense on the right track, but the defense and special teams are a ****ing disaster and last time I checked a football team is composed of THREE parts, not just one.

We have one of the best young offenses in the league, and more cap money and draft picks than we've had in over a decade. To say this team is a "complete mess" is just being dramatic. Most people on this forum say that this team is within 2-3 years of being in contention for a Superbowl. That's not "a complete mess."

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
We have one of the best young offenses in the league, and more cap money and draft picks than we've had in over a decade. To say this team is a "complete mess" is just being dramatic. Most people on this forum say that this team is within 2-3 years of being in contention for a Superbowl. That's not "a complete mess."

I've heard it for 10 years. When your defense is the worst in 40 years of a franchise's organization and there has been ZERO sign of improvement on Special Teams in 10 years even with the best ST coach in the league, that's a complete mess Isaac. The offense is on the right track, its not there yet but its on the right track. The defense and special teams are such disasters and if we switch to a 3-4, then the disaster will continue as it will take 3-4 years to acquire all the pieces for that style of defense.

Bowlen isnt going to spend big money in FA where we can make near instant improvements to the defense, and excuse me for being skeptical but the Goodman's havent proven a thing when it comes to defensive talent evaluation.

Look, Im hopeful for vast improvements, but to suggest they are going to happen anytime soon is foolish on your part.

no-pseudo-fan
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I expect wins. Lots of points, and big stops on Defense. Shanny got lucky with the TD pick in 95, he brought in some O-lineman and some Defensive vets. Got the perfect formula at the perfect time.

Who's to say that we can not get a some defensive FA's, a great Draft Class that could turn this thing around? Atl did it. Miami did it. If any of you say it is easier to go from 1-15 or 3-13 to the playoffs, you are smoking. Shanny wasn't looking for the backdoor, he was excited about his young team. We fix the Defense, have some luck with injuries, I can fully see us having a good year next year.

Peoples Champ
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Of course I would rather have Shanny then this guy, but I hope I am eating my words next year.

BroncoInferno
01-12-2009, 10:54 AM

We were heading in the right direction on offense, but to say the defense and special teams are anything but a "complete mess" is absurd. Unless the new staff can make something of Moss and Crowder, Shanny is leaving the cupboard pretty bare. His strategy for fixing the defense was NOT a long term plan, but a quick fix plan by bringing in guys like Boss Bailey and Dwayne Robertson. There is a dearth of young talent on that side of the ball. And over the last three seasons, the results have become increasingly putrid culminating in this seasons disaster. There was no reason to think Shanny had the D moving in the right direction, particularly with Slowik being retained. Now, special teams can be turned around fairly quickly because it is not so much about talent as it is fundamentals, but again, ST has been a problem for years and there is no reason to believe Shanny was all of a sudden going to fix it now. McDaniels can produce a playoff team with this offensive talent, but it will probably take him (or anyone) awhile to get the defense in decent enough shape to make a serious Super Bowl run.

no-pseudo-fan
01-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I've heard it for 10 years. When your defense is the worst in 40 years of a franchise's organization and there has been ZERO sign of improvement on Special Teams in 10 years even with the best ST coach in the league, that's a complete mess Isaac. The offense is on the right track, its not there yet but its on the right track. The defense and special teams are such disasters and if we switch to a 3-4, then the disaster will continue as it will take 3-4 years to acquire all the pieces for that style of defense.

Bowlen isnt going to spend big money in FA where we can make near instant improvements to the defense, and excuse me for being skeptical but the Goodman's havent proven a thing when it comes to defensive talent evaluation.

Look, Im hopeful for vast improvements, but to suggest they are going to happen anytime soon is foolish on your part.

I look at Miami and Atlanta as a model when it comes to coaching changes. Miami got rid of it's 2 best defensive players last year, and the team got tougher. They were a team that was one of the worst teams ever, offense and defense. Who did Miami add? Chad Pennington, a mediocre QB, a bunch of 2nd string Cowboys, Jake Long and a couple of nice rookies.That is enough to take you from 1-15 to 11-5? Atlanta took a rookie QB and a free agent RB and turned it around over there.

So it may take a year, but I would like to think that if our offense is the same next year, minus some Turnovers, and our defense improve to just 20th in the league, we can at least win 2 more game than this year.

gyldenlove
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
My expectations for Mcdaniels are as follows:

1. Complete Cutlers rise to the top among QBs, I think he has the tools and the skillset to be the top QB in the league after Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are gone.

2. Keep the offense dominant, we had a good thing going this year for a long time with scrubs running the ball. I think we need to keep that up and keep dominating.

3. Make the defense competitive, this required hiring a good defensive staff and identifying a viable system and sticking with it. I hope we will avoid the Brown Jet gambit where we just pick up every Patriot castoff and hope we will win that way.

4. Develope a strong core on both sides of the ball, we need to identify a strong core of players we can build around on offense and defense, right now we have the offensive side set with Cutler, Royal, Marshall and the Ryans. On the defense we need to find some players we can build around who will lead the team for years.

5. Get the excitement up, especially in the Bills game it looked like the team was flat, too many players seemed to be making mental mistakes and too many players were just coasting. We need fire, we need people to fight for their lives, we need that excitement/desperation that the Steelers have.

Pick Six
01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Missing the playoffs after a seemingly insurmountable 3-game lead in the worst division in the AFC qualifies as a "complete mess". I'm just sayin'...

WolfpackGuy
01-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Sweep the Chargers and shut Phyllis Rivers the hell up.
Anything else is gravy.

Rohirrim
01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I haven't heard any mention of a STs coach. Hopefully, we don't continue the Shanahan policy of pretending that part of the game doesn't exist.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
My first expectation is AFC West titles. I'm a title hound, I love to see title banners hanging at Mile High.

The objective every year is to capture all three titles possible - first the Division, then the Conference, then the League title.

If you don't get the ultimate title, you still have two other title banners hanging at Mile High, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I look at Miami and Atlanta as a model when it comes to coaching changes. Miami got rid of it's 2 best defensive players last year, and the team got tougher. They were a team that was one of the worst teams ever, offense and defense. Who did Miami add? Chad Pennington, a mediocre QB, a bunch of 2nd string Cowboys, Jake Long and a couple of nice rookies.That is enough to take you from 1-15 to 11-5? Atlanta took a rookie QB and a free agent RB and turned it around over there.

So it may take a year, but I would like to think that if our offense is the same next year, minus some Turnovers, and our defense improve to just 20th in the league, we can at least win 2 more game than this year.

Hey, it could be good next year. But Miami and Atlanta are the exception, not the rule. By and large, new HC and scheme changes do not start off well.

I know you never know what the next season's schedule is going to really be like but I think its safe to assume that most of the teams that were good this year are going to be good next year.

We get, NY Giants, Philly, Dallas and Washington, Indy, SD x 2, Pitt, Baltimore.

Thats 9 games that would have been difficult to win WITH Shanahan next year, now we got a new look and there is no telling what exactly our offense is going to look like sans Dennison and possibly Turner and Bates as well. It is more than likely that our defense, even if it improves, is not going to be world beaters and will likely still be below average next year.

Its going to be difficult next year. I think many people need to accept that no matter who was going to be our coach. We are probably in for a losing season, though as always I am optimistic once the new year begins. But realistically speaking, it doesnt look good.

Merlin
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
The lack of success of Crennel, Mangini, and Weiss are unique, individual situations that have no bearing or relevance in terms of how McDaniels will perform here. Making some sort of correlation is just silly.
Now let me get this straight. The theory is that Belicheat makes a great tutor; however his disciples have stunk overall. I point to this lack of correlation and the failure of his tutorees, and then you criticize the comment because there is a correlation with failure and Belicheats underlings...got it...thanks for the powerful insight.

BroncoInferno
01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Now let me get this straight. The theory is that Belicheat makes a great tutor; however his disciples have stunk overall. I point to this lack of correlation and the failure of his tutorees, and then you criticize the comment because there is a correlation with failure and Belicheats underlings...got it...thanks for the powerful insight.

There is no correlation. You cannot draw any meaningful parallels based on a scant three examples. And one of the examples, Mangini, did not do all that bad. Weiss is coaching in college, an entirely different animal. Crennel exceeded expectations in 2007 and then disappointed this year. Not a total failure. Adn remember, Belichek is a defensive guy, so we only have Weiss as an example of a NE ON not being successful as a head coach. In any case, success as a HC has to do with the individual and the circumstances they are put in; the Belichek connection is not all that relevant.

listopencil
01-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Fix the Defense, fix the Special Teams, don't break the Offense. Those are my expectations.

no-pseudo-fan
01-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Hey, it could be good next year. But Miami and Atlanta are the exception, not the rule. By and large, new HC and scheme changes do not start off well.

I know you never know what the next season's schedule is going to really be like but I think its safe to assume that most of the teams that were good this year are going to be good next year.

We get, NY Giants, Philly, Dallas and Washington, Indy, SD x 2, Pitt, Baltimore.

Thats 9 games that would have been difficult to win WITH Shanahan next year, now we got a new look and there is no telling what exactly our offense is going to look like sans Dennison and possibly Turner and Bates as well. It is more than likely that our defense, even if it improves, is not going to be world beaters and will likely still be below average next year.

Its going to be difficult next year. I think many people need to accept that no matter who was going to be our coach. We are probably in for a losing season, though as always I am optimistic once the new year begins. But realistically speaking, it doesnt look good.

You have to look at the season as it gets here. Things change in F/A, things change after the Draft, and injuries change things. We do not know good any of the teams we will play next year will be, or if they will hav big injuries, or if we will kill it again in the draft and/or Free Agency. We don't know how much better Cutler & Co. will be. So I don't know how anyone can be certain of a loss so far in the future. The Schedule is a big thing, and when and where we play some of these teams are going to make a huge deal.

ludo21
01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Our team was slowly adding pieces and on the way to becoming a playoff contender with Shanny the past 2 years.

I expect the same from McD. and even a playoff birth next year. Not unreasonable to me.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Fix the Defense, fix the Special Teams, don't break the Offense. Those are my expectations.

This is always overlooked.

And oh yeah, get a kickass D again, haven't seen that for an entire season and playoffs for a long time.

NFLBRONCO
01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Finish the offense and get it truly scary esp for improvement in red zone. Clearly O is fair better then our D but, to say O is set lol its decent not scary.

Fix the D as much as you can it will take a few offseasons

I'm not expecting many wins in 09 but, I would love to see us play hard and strong ALL year and kick butt in red zone.

ohiobronco2
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know, but this customer of mine just sent this to me in an email. He's a Steeler fan.

2009 BRONCOS SCHEDULE

September
13.......... ...... Taft Junior High School
20........ ........Cub Scout Troop #101
27.......... .........Detroit Blind Academy

October
04.......... .......Spanish American War Vets
11.......... ......Crippled Children's Home
18 ......... .......Eloise Mental Hospital
25......... ........Girl Scout Troop #353

November
01.......... ........ Michigan Venereal Disease Clinic
08.......... .......Fraser Boys Choir
15........ .........Korean Amputees
22......... ....... National Hospital Pastoral Ministers
26......... ....... Great Lakes Synchronized Swimming Team

SPECIAL MONDAY NIGHT GAME
December 08.......... ........ Grand Rapids PreSchoolers

** RULE CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR**
1 - When playing polio patients, the Broncos must not disconnect knee
braces.
2 - When playing the Blind Academy, the Broncos must not hide the football under their jerseys.

** RULES THE SAME FROM LAST YEAR**
1 - A touchdown (this is when the ball is carried over the goal line. For all you Broncos fans that have never seen this) it is still worth 6 points.

2 - The Broncos will be allowed 20 men on the field at all times.

3 - The Broncos will be allowed to substitute players with band members at any time.

4 - The Broncos will be awarded 10 timeouts as opposed to 3 for the opposing team.

5 - The Broncos will be awarded a first down with each gain of three yards or more, instead of the usual ten yards.

Peoples Champ
01-12-2009, 02:01 PM
What where Shannys expections in 1993? I was too young to remember. I am just curious, where they back to back superbowls??? Because then the man delivered.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
You have to look at the season as it gets here. Things change in F/A, things change after the Draft, and injuries change things. We do not know good any of the teams we will play next year will be, or if they will hav big injuries, or if we will kill it again in the draft and/or Free Agency. We don't know how much better Cutler & Co. will be. So I don't know how anyone can be certain of a loss so far in the future. The Schedule is a big thing, and when and where we play some of these teams are going to make a huge deal.

Well obviously you only read part of my post as I clearly stated "I Know you dont know how each schedule is going to be"

THen I said "Thats 9 games that will be difficult to win"

I never said anything about certain losses.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I haven't heard any mention of a STs coach. Hopefully, we don't continue the Shanahan policy of pretending that part of the game doesn't exist.

Yup.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
What where Shannys expections in 1993? I was too young to remember. I am just curious, where they back to back superbowls??? Because then the man delivered.

Slightly different.

Shanahan was replacing an incompetent Wade Phillips.

McDaniels will be replacing a legend. Even if he had stayed longer than he should have, Shanny will always be a legend in Denver.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Yup.

NFLBRONCO
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Slightly different.

Shanahan was replacing an incompetent Wade Phillips.

McDaniels will be replacing a legend. Even if he had stayed longer than he should have, Shanny will always be a legend in Denver.

I agree on Shanny

I'd love to see fans reaction if Josh gets our O to be more powerful and score alot more then Shanny teams ever did.

WolfpackGuy
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Bowlen wanted Shanahan when he fired Reeves in 92, but Shanahan had moved on to SF after being fired by Reeves because it would seem like "he was after Reeves' job" if he took HC in 93.

The main expectation when Shanahan came back (of course) was to win a Super Bowl as soon as possible before Elway retired. (Remeber, an AFC team hadn't won it in over 10 years in the mid 90's.) The second one was just icing on the cake.

The team was in a similar defensive mess in 95, but I believe the current defensive roster has more talent. AND, they also have more draft picks than Shanahan had his first season.