footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Per ESPN just now...

rugbythug
01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
wow

Merlin
01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Shanny, please stay away...take a yr off. Do not go to Indy. The last thing Denver needs is to remain Indy's B&#h for 5 yrs.

Paladin
And the Broncos got the best O coach just today......

That should be an interesting situation. As I recall, they had some fellow sitting in the wings for this day........

Kaylore
This was somewhat expected. People were surprised when he came back for '08. I think he said he wants to take some time off. Good for him and good for us for getting someone hired. The Colts just became the most attractive head coaching position in America.

spdirty
01-12-2009, 09:21 AM
The words class, dignity, and grace come to mind. Enjoy your retirement Tony.

spdirty
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
thought the Colts already had Tony's successor lined up. Jim Caldwell.

bowtown
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
And so begins the Shanahan Era.

Meck77
01-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I was surprised he was able to ramble on after his sons suicide personally. I hate the Colts but have respect for Dungy. I'm ok with him stepping down though.:welcome:

Broncoman13
01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Same feeling here Meck. Dungy has been a class act for a long time. Wish him well and hope that the Colts can't replace him with someone as good!

I too believe it will be Caldwell. Pretty sure he was named the "coach in waiting" a little while back.

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I was surprised he was able to ramble on after his sons suicide personally. I hate the Colts but have respect for Dungy. I'm ok with him stepping down though.:welcome:

Well as long as this guy is throwing the ball...
http://patrickdonohueonline.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/peyton-manning_0.jpg

It won't matter. Look he's holding his sack saying "hey Bronco defense, how's it feel to have had this in your mouth for five years?"

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Bring him in..... Er wait never mind! Enjoy retirement Tony. I know he has plans to work on his foundation in honor of his son. He is an all class guy.

bowtown
01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Jesus Freak ;)

Mediator12
01-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Caldwell WILL be the guy. It is a done deal. No need to worry about Mike going to the Colts as Polian is not about to let him have total control.

illbroncsfn
01-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Tony Dungy is all class and I hope he can continue to make a differnce in people's lives w/his new endeavors...

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2009, 09:43 AM
thought the Colts already had Tony's successor lined up. Jim Caldwell.
That's correct.

Meck77
01-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Med I have a question for you. Obviously Dungy was a master at motivating his players and building strong relationships with them. What about Shanny? Would you say that under the Shanny era there was an aura of ?It's Mike's way or the highway" with the players and maybe some coaches that hurt our team over the last 10 years?

Other than a few guys like Elway I just never got the sense that Shanny "won the team over" and that they played their hearts out for him. I could be wrong. It seems to me that players and maybe coaches were waiting to get scapegoated by shanny instead of having the team chemistry Dungy built in Indy. Thoughts?

MVP-06
01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
guy was a class act. I wish him the best

frerottenextelway
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
He mastered the art of the one and done. I wish him the best in his retirement.

Mediator12
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Caldwell is a class Guy as well, but he will probably make a few changes to that defense in INDY. Tony was very tied to the Tampa 2 and so is Ron Meeks. I could really see them going in a new direction on that side of the ball going forward.

Meck, they were 2 totally different approaches to the way they approached football. Shanahan was all business, and Dungy was the most balanced HC in the entire NFL. Dove Valley was super secretive for years and INDY was more accessible. I do not think Mike was the kind of coach you described, but getting into his doghouse was not a good idea.

rastaman
01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Shanny, please stay away...take a yr off. Do not go to Indy. The last thing Denver needs is to remain Indy's B&#h for 5 yrs.

Don't worry Merlin, Shanahan will sit out 2009 and comeback in 2010 to replace Herm Edwards in KC. By then, the Chiefs will offered Matt Cassell a boat load of money to entice Shanahan to come to Kanas City.:thumbsup:

chaz
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm sure when the Colts promised Caldwell the job they did not expect Shanahan to be available...it will be interesting to see what happens there. I'm sure Mike would love to coach that team.

Mediator12
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm sure when the Colts promised Caldwell the job they did not expect Shanahan to be available...it will be interesting to see what happens there. I'm sure Mike would love to coach that team.

Not going to happen. Irsay would have to fire Polian to entice Shanahan, and they have been setting up Caldwell to make the seamless transition for the whole organization.

bronco_diesel
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
prediction - shanny will be the new hc at indy.

history will repeat - we will be a good team, but unable to get past the colts.

with manning and shanny together, they will go on to win 3 rings.

manning will break all many records and will go on to be the greatest qb ever
shanny will again be the mastermind

rastaman
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM

And what situation could be more perfect for Shanahan? He'd have a ready-made championship team, and, as much as it pains a Baltimore fan to say it, a pretty stable hands-off ownership group in the Irsays. Frankly, what coach would not want to work with Peyton Manning? And I don't even want to think about what Shanahan's zone blocking run scheme could do for the one-dimensional Colts next year.

rastaman
01-12-2009, 11:02 AM

You may be right! Shanahan said he wouldn't coach in 2009 unless a perfect situation came along. What a more perfect situation than the Colts job.

Shanahan has done wonders under HOF and future HOF QB's (Elway, Young, Cutler, Manning) and Manning will be one more notch in Shanahan's book.

Mediator12
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Anyone want to lay money on Shanahan Taking the Colts job? I am serious here, I could use the cash and the press conference is at 5 pm eastern.

Sim Pilot 4.0
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't think that shanny will ever coach again. I don't think that any team will be willing to give full control player and personnel. If you take a look at the coaches that had that control, none of them have been to a superbowl after getting full control. Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells & Shanahan. There are too many duties and responsibilities and the coaches have to lose focus when they wear all those hats.

I just don't think his ego will allow him to only have the title of Coach.

rastaman
01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think that shanny will ever coach again. I don't think that any team will be willing to give full control player and personnel. If you take a look at the coaches that had that control, none of them have been to a superbowl after getting full control. Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells & Shanahan. There are too many duties and responsibilities and the coaches have to lose focus when they wear all those hats.

I just don't think his ego will allow him to only have the title of Coach.

Nothing is etched is stone and that goes for Shanahan's ego. Shanahan can change if he wants to. Now didn't Shanahan say if the situation was perfect he would coach this season? What could be a more perfect situation than coaching a HOF QB of the likes of Peyton Manning! That opportunity only comes around once in a life time.

I say if the Colts offer Shanny the job....he jumps in with both feet! irregardless if he has GM powers or not.

rastaman
01-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Anyone want to lay money on Shanahan Taking the Colts job? I am serious here, I could use the cash and the press conference is at 5 pm eastern.

I won't bet you any money but your assumption sure holds merit. It would have to be perfect storm for this marriage to come to fruition Shanahan would have to trust and compromise with the Colts GM/FO with player personnel in the draft and FA decisions.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
The words class, dignity, and grace come to mind. Enjoy your retirement Tony.

Amen.

jmz313
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Jim Caldwell has the job. Not shanny, Jim.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Well, this aint an Indy board, but I'm a little surprised there is more mentions of Shanahan than Dungy.

Gort
01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
why does anyone assume they even want Shanny?

here's Shanny's resume the last 3 years. 9-7. 7-9. 8-8. and he built a horrible defense. with virtually no takeaways. and his special teams were as bad.

why would Indy need an O-minded HC? they need a D overhaul. no way Shanny is a good fit for Indy. and the first time there was a clash between Manning and Shanny, who do you think would win?

Shanny needs to go to a team that needs improvement EVERYWHERE. that'll allow him a couple of seasons to get his players and coaches in place and rebuild a franchise.

strafen
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm sure when the Colts promised Caldwell the job they did not expect Shanahan to be available...it will be interesting to see what happens there. I'm sure Mike would love to coach that team.That's what I was thinking! :thumbsup:

Que
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM

I second that and still fully agree with the Shanahan firing. He just lost his mojo here. It happens.

Bronx33
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM

All we have to do is cover that WR screen (game over)

yavoon
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
And what situation could be more perfect for Shanahan? He'd have a ready-made championship team, and, as much as it pains a Baltimore fan to say it, a pretty stable hands-off ownership group in the Irsays. Frankly, what coach would not want to work with Peyton Manning? And I don't even want to think about what Shanahan's zone blocking run scheme could do for the one-dimensional Colts next year.

the colts already zone block.

ro_50
01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
There isn't enough words to describe what type of person that Dungy seems to be.

Dungy was a class act and a great coach. He should be in the HoF and he showed that nice guys can finish first.

He hardly yelled and showed you don't have to be a Bill Parcells or Bill Belicheck to win this league.

I wish him all the best in his retirement.

Bronco Yoda
01-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Class act all the way.

Rocky Mountain Stampede
01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
There isn't enough words to describe what type of person that Dungy seems to be.

Dungy was a class act and a great coach. He should be in the HoF and he showed that nice guys can finish first.

He hardly yelled and showed you don't have to be a Bill Parcells or Bill Belicheck to win this league.

I wish him all the best in his retirement.

Dungy's track record mirrors what John Madden did as a head coach. It's only a matter of time before they put his bust in Canton.

cutthemdown
01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Great coach!!!!!!

Popps
01-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Yep, I have nothing bad to say about the guy. I wish there were more like him.

That's going to be an interesting situation to watch play out, as well.