PDA

View Full Version : Broncos players excited about young coach

montrose
01-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Broncos players excited about young coach
By Lee Rasizer

NEWARK, N.J. At age 32, Josh McDaniels won't be much older than some of the players he'll coach in Denver.

That doesn't seem to bother Broncos players, who, themselves are skewing Generation Y.

"Oh, man, I think that's going to be great," Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall said Sunday night, shortly after learning of McDaniel's hire from team personnel executive Jim Goodman. "Our locker room definitely has changed from a very veteran team to young guys with good character, but at the end of the day, still young.

"And from that standpoint, to have a coach in there around the same age as the guys in the locker room, he can relate to things we're about; it makes it a little easier as far as the transition.

"A lot of the guys are excited."

McDaniels, 32, has worked eight years with the New England Patriots, the past two as offensive coordinator. He joined the club as a personnel assistant, then advanced up the ladder to a defensive assistant with the Patriots (2002-03), quarterbacks coach (2004) and to his last position in '06.

New England set records for scoring, with 589 points, behind MVP Tom Brady last year and just missed the playoffs despite untested Matt Cassel forced into action at quarterback this season. Cassel ended up having a breakout season under McDaniels' tutelage.

McDaniels, an Ohio native, replaces Mike Shanahan, who was fired after Denver missed the playoffs for the third straight season. He'll be the Broncos' 12th head coach in franchise history.

"That's enthusiasm, man," cornerback Dre Bly said of his new coach, who's only one year older than he is. "Coach Shanahan had a lot of respect. Guys looked up to him and had a good relationship. But with a guy like him, it's like with (Broncos 2007 passing game coordinator) Jeremy Bates - exciting, enthusiasm. It's like what Mike Tomlin brings to Pittsburgh. He brings excitement to that team. It's good for our team. And I hope we respond to him."

Some players still were trying to figure out just who their new coach was, with only a cursory knowledge of McDaniels' background.

"I just know that he was the offensive coordinator," left tackle Ryan Clady said. "But it's going to be exciting to see what he can do with the personnel we have and his scheme."

"He's shown that he can win in New England," defensive end Elvis Dumervil added. "We'll see what happens."

That holds true on both sides of the ball.

Denver's offense ranked second in the NFL but was only 16th in scoring, at 23.1 points per game.

"Even though we had some good coaches here - and still do - the things he was able to do on the offensive side of the ball with them last year with the awesome run the Patriots had, undefeated all the way to the Super Bowl, and all the records they broke, it goes further than the players making plays," Marshall said, adding that Denver's coaches previously took elements from New England's offense, given that significant success.

"Somebody has to coach the guys up, and it says a lot about him," Marshall added. "And if he can get someone to help on the defensive side of the ball, too, we can go a long way."

That defensive architect still is to be determined, as is the accompanying philosophy.

"He's been around a 3-4 system. That might be the direction he goes. I don't know," Bly said. "But that's the nature of the beast. Coaches bring in coordinators and use the schemes they're comfortable with. And that affects us. . . . I'm sure guys will be excited either way because of the fact we landed a new coach, a young guy and can move forward knowing the direction we're going."

Denver interviewed seven candidates in all. And there was a widely held belief publicly that the team, given its 29th-ranked defense, would hire a coach with a defensive background. But the Broncos obviously didn't feel obligated to make that call.

"It's an offensive town, starting with (John) Elway and coach Shanahan. That's what they're used to here," Bly said. "It really doesn't matter. As long as we get things worked out and we're effective out there."

That'll be kid's play, with McDaniels on board, possibly augmented by some veteran assistants.

"I've had young coaches before, especially in college," Clady said. "So I'm used to it."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/report-broncos-hire-mcdaniels/

East
01-12-2009, 12:45 AM
I wonder what Cutler has to say...

I hope he isn't still eating sour grapes. Seriously Cutler can only gain from the experience McDaniels has with QBs.

Matt Cassel when it came down to it was more mistake free than Cutler. Jay threw 14 ints in the redzone... that is not an exceptable number.

cutthemdown
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM

I hope he isn't still eating sour grapes. Seriously Cutler can only gain from the experience McDaniels has with QBs.

Matt Cassel when it came down to it was more mistake free than Cutler. Jay threw 14 ints in the redzone... that is not an exceptable number.

It's why we didn't make the playoffs IMO. Cutler left too many points on the field because of mental errors in judgment in the redzone.

I'm glad we went with McDaniels he will continue Cutlers progression into an elite QB.

Cutlers offseason should be spent on cutting down turnovers and throwing the deep ball with more accuracy.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
It's why we didn't make the playoffs IMO. Cutler left too many points on the field because of mental errors in judgment in the redzone.

I'm glad we went with McDaniels he will continue Cutlers progression into an elite QB.

Cutlers offseason should be spent on cutting down turnovers and throwing the deep ball with more accuracy.

we didn't make the playoffs because once we got into the red zone we had no rushing threat to keep defenses from dropping 7 or 8 into coverage and making Jay throw into double teams. we didn't have a defense capable of holding a team to under 28 points a game.

no way can us not making the playoffs be put on Jay. he is the only reason we were 8-8 and still in contention for the division the final week of the season. without him this year we would have been lucky to go 4-12.

cutthemdown
01-12-2009, 01:16 AM
we didn't make the playoffs because once we got into the red zone we had no rushing threat to keep defenses from dropping 7 or 8 into coverage and making Jay throw into double teams. we didn't have a defense capable of holding a team to under 28 points a game.

no way can us not making the playoffs be put on Jay. he is the only reason we were 8-8 and still in contention for the division the final week of the season. without him this year we would have been lucky to go 4-12.

no doubt plenty of blame. My point was more that this teams only chance was for the QB to take them to playoffs on his shoulders. Jay got the yardage to get it done but turned ball over too much.

Then that game vs Buff he left a ton of deep balls overthrown.

Had he not done those things I think he would have succeeded and carried Broncos to playoffs much like John Elway did early in career.

I am the type though that puts more on the QB. They have to make less mistakes then any other player on the team. The amount of turnovers Cutler is throwing up it totally unacceptable. Hopefully new coach will lay the law down on his decision making and take him to the next level.

IMO Cutler gets a B for the season, but it could have been an A. it's like in school when you should have gotten an A but made some bonehead answers on questions you knew.

Meck77
01-12-2009, 01:23 AM

I hope he isn't still eating sour grapes.

I sure hope not or he's going to find himself missing the playoffs for several more years and probably on another team because ole "gutless" will throw him to the dogs. ;D

Shanny had a reputation as a SB coach but not necessarily to the 20 year old something on this team. They grew up watching the dominance of the Patriots and not the Broncos. It's great to read they are excited but to be honest I don't care about a couple of PR quotes. It's time for this team to get to work.

cutthemdown
01-12-2009, 01:29 AM
I sure hope not or he's going to find himself missing the playoffs for several more years and probably on another team because ole "gutless" will throw him to the dogs. ;D

Shanny had a reputation as a SB coach but not necessarily to the 20 year old something on this team. They grew up watching the dominance of the Patriots and not the Broncos. It's great to read they are excited but to be honest I don't care about a couple of PR quotes. It's time for this team to get to work.

It's time for Broncos to take some chances in FA by offering some big bonuses to join the team. Suggs? Sproles? Asomugha? Ray Lewis?, Landry? we need some big time talent.

Popps
01-12-2009, 01:52 AM
It's time for Broncos to take some chances in FA by offering some big bonuses to join the team. Suggs? Sproles? Asomugha? Ray Lewis?, Landry? we need some big time talent.

:thumbsup:

CoBear23
01-12-2009, 02:18 AM

So you're saying that because the Players do not remember Shanahan and the Broncos winning Super Bowls they didn't respond to him?

Umm.. I'm 24, roughly the same age if not a little younger than most Bronco players. During the first Super Bowl run I was 13 and remember it clearly. Just because the Patriots have won championships more recently than the Broncos doesn't mean they have no memory of the Broncos Super Bowls.

They were teenagers not infants.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Teenagers are infants. I should know; I have 5 of 'em. ;D

slyinky
01-12-2009, 02:39 AM

14? I thought it was like 6. He only had a total of 18 picks on the season. All but 4 were in the red zone? I don't think so.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Negative. It's time to STOP taking chances on these guys and learn to draft. Both the Steelers and Pats build through the draft and we should too. This was one of my biggest pet peeves with Shanny, the constant attempt to plug holes with FA stopgaps.

I hope McDaniel brings the NE draft philosophy with him.

Popps
01-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Negative. It's time to STOP taking chances on these guys and learn to draft. Both the Steelers and Pats build through the draft and we should too. This was one of my biggest pet peeves with Shanny, the constant attempt to plug holes with FA stopgaps.

He's not talking about stop-gaps, though. He's talking about making big, strategic moves in free agency. Doesn't have to be the highest profile guy out there, but free agency is literally half of what makes a franchise, these days. Screw it up, and well.... you're the Denver Broncos of the last ten years. We've had a horrible free agent track record and our results have shown as much.

You have to be able to go out and bring in a few guys each off-season that can contribute immediately. We've had a big problem doing that, particularly on defense.

East
01-12-2009, 02:56 AM
14? I thought it was like 6. He only had a total of 18 picks on the season. All but 4 were in the red zone? I don't think so.

Yeah you're right. I was just taking an exaggerating stab in the dark. It is 6... but still thats not cool.

Denver's offense can earn the yards but it lacks two of the most important aspects of the game, scoring and controling the clock.

New England Offense
Yards per Game: 365.4 - 5th in NFL
Total Points: 410 - 8th in NFL
T.O.P: 32:25 - 3rd in NFL

Denver Offense
Yards per Game: 395.8 - 2nd in NFL
Total Points: 370 - 16th in NFL
T.O.P: 28:44 - 25th in NFL

The bottom line is that Denver's offense under performed, they left a lot of time on the field that should have been spent scoring points.

Lets hope McDaniels can bring that kind of game play to Denver.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 03:00 AM
no doubt plenty of blame. My point was more that this teams only chance was for the QB to take them to playoffs on his shoulders. Jay got the yardage to get it done but turned ball over too much.

Then that game vs Buff he left a ton of deep balls overthrown.

Had he not done those things I think he would have succeeded and carried Broncos to playoffs much like John Elway did early in career.

I am the type though that puts more on the QB. They have to make less mistakes then any other player on the team. The amount of turnovers Cutler is throwing up it totally unacceptable. Hopefully new coach will lay the law down on his decision making and take him to the next level.

IMO Cutler gets a B for the season, but it could have been an A. it's like in school when you should have gotten an A but made some bonehead answers on questions you knew.

Elway didn't have a defense that gave up 30+ points a week. Now i am not saying Jay is better than Elway(NO ONE IS) but, i do think it is unfair to put it all on Jay when he had to perform at a near Franchise record pace to even have this team finish at 8-8.

Jay threw the ball 616 times this season, and with his INT's he is basically in line with the amount every other elite QB threw percentage wise. about 2.5% of his passes were intercepted, and i think the best percentage this season was somewhere around 1.9%.
this is why i say we need a good running attack to take pressure off of Jay. if he didn't have to every game be our only means of an offense, he easily would have eliminated at least 10 INT's from his end of the year totals.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 03:01 AM

i say Suggs, Landry, Atogwe, and maybe Vilma and Ward.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 03:07 AM
So you're saying that because the Players do not remember Shanahan and the Broncos winning Super Bowls they didn't respond to him?

Umm.. I'm 24, roughly the same age if not a little younger than most Bronco players. During the first Super Bowl run I was 13 and remember it clearly. Just because the Patriots have won championships more recently than the Broncos doesn't mean they have no memory of the Broncos Super Bowls.

i agree. if you're a football player more than likely you are a fan and know the recent history of the game.

just because in recent years the Pats have been the dominant franchise in the league, doesn't mean that players don't remember which franchise dominated the late 90's.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2009, 03:11 AM

i agree, however with our weak ass defense and the more than likely switch to a 3-4 allignment, we are going to have to hit FA hard and hope a lot of our draft picks pan out, because we are going to have a lot of holes to fill.

in the upcoming drafts after this year, i agree we should continue building through the draft, but i think for this year to avoid a total collapse on defense we are going to have to take some risks in FA. figure maybe 4 starters will remain on our roster next season, and they will all be learning a new system. to fill in those other 7 starting spots, we can't count on a bunch of rookies to fill out that roster.

lex
01-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Broncos players excited about young coach
By Lee Rasizer

NEWARK, N.J. At age 32, Josh McDaniels won't be much older than some of the players he'll coach in Denver.

That doesn't seem to bother Broncos players, who, themselves are skewing Generation Y.

"Oh, man, I think that's going to be great," Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall said Sunday night, shortly after learning of McDaniel's hire from team personnel executive Jim Goodman. "Our locker room definitely has changed from a very veteran team to young guys with good character, but at the end of the day, still young.

"And from that standpoint, to have a coach in there around the same age as the guys in the locker room, he can relate to things we're about; it makes it a little easier as far as the transition.

"A lot of the guys are excited."

McDaniels, 32, has worked eight years with the New England Patriots, the past two as offensive coordinator. He joined the club as a personnel assistant, then advanced up the ladder to a defensive assistant with the Patriots (2002-03), quarterbacks coach (2004) and to his last position in '06.

New England set records for scoring, with 589 points, behind MVP Tom Brady last year and just missed the playoffs despite untested Matt Cassel forced into action at quarterback this season. Cassel ended up having a breakout season under McDaniels' tutelage.

McDaniels, an Ohio native, replaces Mike Shanahan, who was fired after Denver missed the playoffs for the third straight season. He'll be the Broncos' 12th head coach in franchise history.

"That's enthusiasm, man," cornerback Dre Bly said of his new coach, who's only one year older than he is. "Coach Shanahan had a lot of respect. Guys looked up to him and had a good relationship. But with a guy like him, it's like with (Broncos 2007 passing game coordinator) Jeremy Bates - exciting, enthusiasm. It's like what Mike Tomlin brings to Pittsburgh. He brings excitement to that team. It's good for our team. And I hope we respond to him."

Some players still were trying to figure out just who their new coach was, with only a cursory knowledge of McDaniels' background.

"I just know that he was the offensive coordinator," left tackle Ryan Clady said. "But it's going to be exciting to see what he can do with the personnel we have and his scheme."

"He's shown that he can win in New England," defensive end Elvis Dumervil added. "We'll see what happens."

That holds true on both sides of the ball.

Denver's offense ranked second in the NFL but was only 16th in scoring, at 23.1 points per game.

"Even though we had some good coaches here - and still do - the things he was able to do on the offensive side of the ball with them last year with the awesome run the Patriots had, undefeated all the way to the Super Bowl, and all the records they broke, it goes further than the players making plays," Marshall said, adding that Denver's coaches previously took elements from New England's offense, given that significant success.

"Somebody has to coach the guys up, and it says a lot about him," Marshall added. "And if he can get someone to help on the defensive side of the ball, too, we can go a long way."

That defensive architect still is to be determined, as is the accompanying philosophy.

"He's been around a 3-4 system. That might be the direction he goes. I don't know," Bly said. "But that's the nature of the beast. Coaches bring in coordinators and use the schemes they're comfortable with. And that affects us. . . . I'm sure guys will be excited either way because of the fact we landed a new coach, a young guy and can move forward knowing the direction we're going."

Denver interviewed seven candidates in all. And there was a widely held belief publicly that the team, given its 29th-ranked defense, would hire a coach with a defensive background. But the Broncos obviously didn't feel obligated to make that call.

"It's an offensive town, starting with (John) Elway and coach Shanahan. That's what they're used to here," Bly said. "It really doesn't matter. As long as we get things worked out and we're effective out there."

That'll be kid's play, with McDaniels on board, possibly augmented by some veteran assistants.

"I've had young coaches before, especially in college," Clady said. "So I'm used to it."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/report-broncos-hire-mcdaniels/

LOL. Yup. Nice work, Pat.

lex
01-12-2009, 05:42 AM

Youre joking? Our drafts the past 3 years have put theirs to shame.

montrose
01-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Youre joking? Our drafts the past 3 years have put theirs to shame.

I agree. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that can march 3 years of drafting that included Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Dumervil, Hixon (not Goodman's fault Shanny cut him), Kuper, Harris, Thomas, Clady, Royal and Hillis. That's not even mentioning projects like Lichtensteiger, Torain and Larsen or UDFA's like Woodyard and Kern.

barryr
01-12-2009, 07:19 AM
The one big thing this team needed above all else was some fresh ideas and I think this guy can provide them.

Broncoman13
01-12-2009, 08:08 AM
The problem is that the Goodman's draft experience was based heavily on understanding what Shanny liked to do on offense. Their track record on defense isn't nearly as good. I have confidence that they can adjust, but we still are in a wait in see mode regarding the drafting of defensive personnel.

Here's a glimpse of what my offseason plan would be...

Oshiomogho Atogwe- a 6' 200# safety that plays the run well but is best described as a ball hawk. He hasn't missed a game in three years and is coming off a season with 5 INTs and 6 Forced Fumbles. He won't come cheap but he also won't command the same type contracts as an Ed Reed or Troy Palaumalo. He's only 27 so a long term contract makes sense. Something in the range of 5 years and $25m with a $5-7m bonus. Cap number of roughly $5m per year. Healthy contract, but the guy fills an immediate need...for years! Back up plan would be the oft injured Mike Brown from the Bears. When healthy he is a super talented safety.

Shaun Cody- At 6'4 and 300# he would make a perfect 3-4 end. His success while with the Lions has been moderate so I think he would come relatively cheap. It is important to get some "beef" up front if we want to use guys like WWIII and DJ Williams in the 3-4. Shaun Cody would likely come in with a contract in the range of 4 years for $12m with $3 or 4m guaranteed.
Back up option is Chris Canty. At 6'7 and 300# he is a beast (I stood within 4 or 5 feet of him at camp last year. The dude is a monster. Made Ryan Clady look like a normal sized man!), plus he as experience as a 3-4 end. He would be more expensive due to his success. Probably in the $4-5m per year range.

Terrell Suggs- An outstanding 3-4 OLB but will ask for and get big time money. He's a popular name right now and unless you have total confidence in either Moss or Dumervil playing the ROLB you bring in a guy like Suggs. Porter did great for the Dolphins D and Suggs would give us a similar boost. I figure 5 years $45m with $15-20m in guaranteed money, cap hit around $6m the first couple years and then up to $10-12m after that. Back up plans would be Karlos Dansby who is more versatile but not the same caliber pass rusher. Bart Scott's experience in the 3-4 would also be welcomed. He wouldn't come cheap, but not nearly as expensive as Suggs or Dansby... also doesn't fill the ROLB role either.

Dunta Robinson- As a rookie he showed a ton of promise and has since had several injuries that have held him back. At the very least he would come in and compete for the 3rd/Nickel Back position. His upside is high enough that he could offer us our eventual replacement for Dre Bly. B/c of his injuries, I imagine he would cost us a little less but I also suspect the Texans will try to keep him. He is a leader. 3 years $12m.

Derrick Ward- Great size for a RB would be capable of caring the load. I see Peyton Hillis having a role on this team, but I'm not sure exactly what that role is yet. What I do know is that Ward is a 230# back with homerun ability. In fact, when you watch him run he looks more like a speed back than a power back. He has a strong stiff arm, 4.5 speed, and good cutbacks. He's showed the ability to run inside and outside. He is certainly capable of 1200-1500 yard seasons. Not sure at all what kind of contract he will demand. If memory serves, Turner signed something in the neighborhood of 6 years $35m. I would expect Ward would sign something a little bit less than that, perhaps in the 4 year $20m range. He is 28 years old so a long term contract may not be our best bet. Back up plan would be Correll Buckhalter who is now 30 but has been injured so often he only has the milage of a 27 year old. I would prefer to take our chances with Hillis over him.

Charlie Batch- At the very least he can come in and win a football game if need be. He's been around a long time and understands defenses. He would be good for Cutler and provide sound insurance for injury.

Now on to the draft.

There is an obvious need here and that is a mammoth DT. BJ Raji fits that bill. Somewhat concerned with his attitude, but at the same time I don't want a "nice guy" playing in the trenches either. Just hope he doesn't turn into a Wilfork type of dirty player... but rather a Wilfork type of on field performer! IMO, he is a very similar player to Wilfork which bodes well for our 3-4 defense. We will also have to count on Marcus Thomas either adding some weight or dropping some weight and moving to the end. I think the latter is more likely considering his athleticism.

In the 2nd round I think a guy like Clay Mathews. Maybe a little early for him but this guys is a football player plain and simple. He would fit well into the 3-4 and will make his presence felt on STs and in the locker room immediately. This is the type of guy we have been going after recently. High Character, motivated, over achieving, team first mentality.

In the 3rd round a guy like Jasper Brinkley makes sense. Hard to gauge where he will end up right now. Could last until the 4th, could go in the 2nd. I'm guessing at this point he will be available in the 3rd. If DT wasn't such a big need I would go with Rey rey in the first to fit that ILB spot with a banger. Brinkley reminds a lot of people of Kirkland. Super big boy (6'2 270#) that is productive on the field. Was a 2nd team SEC player(coaches selection) which tells me all I need to know about his performance.

I would round out the draft with guys like Jordan Shipley/Quann Crosby (WR, pick one!), Max Unger/Alex Mack (C), Dorrell Scott (DT), Will Johnson (DE) and Pat White (QB/WR).

We need to trim some fat off of our roster as well. I won't guess who but I think guys like Boss Bailey, Marlon McCree, Manuel, Engleberger, and Nate Webster are on their way out.

Broncoman13
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
What??? Did I close the thread with that lost one?

;D

cutlerfan
01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Elway didn't have a defense that gave up 30+ points a week. Now i am not saying Jay is better than Elway(NO ONE IS) but, i do think it is unfair to put it all on Jay when he had to perform at a near Franchise record pace to even have this team finish at 8-8.

Jay threw the ball 616 times this season, and with his INT's he is basically in line with the amount every other elite QB threw percentage wise. about 2.5% of his passes were intercepted, and i think the best percentage this season was somewhere around 1.9%.
this is why i say we need a good running attack to take pressure off of Jay. if he didn't have to every game be our only means of an offense, he easily would have eliminated at least 10 INT's from his end of the year totals.

Totally agree. When people blame Cutler for INT what about blaming the defense? Vernon Fox missed three TD's tackles in the SD game.

Rock Chalk
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM

You were also a bronco fan and paid attention to teh Broncos.

Most of these guys didnt grow up Bronco fans and could probably have cared less if their team wasnt in the Superbowl while they were teenagers.

cutler_to_marshall
01-12-2009, 11:28 AM
This all makes me very sad seeing as i became a fan during the 6-10 season.

Why couldnt i join the following one year earlier !!!!!!!!

Kid A
01-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah you're right. I was just taking an exaggerating stab in the dark. It is 6... but still thats not cool.

Denver's offense can earn the yards but it lacks two of the most important aspects of the game, scoring and controling the clock.

New England Offense
Yards per Game: 365.4 - 5th in NFL
Total Points: 410 - 8th in NFL
T.O.P: 32:25 - 3rd in NFL

Denver Offense
Yards per Game: 395.8 - 2nd in NFL
Total Points: 370 - 16th in NFL
T.O.P: 28:44 - 25th in NFL

The bottom line is that Denver's offense under performed, they left a lot of time on the field that should have been spent scoring points.

Lets hope McDaniels can bring that kind of game play to Denver.

This point can't be emphasized enough. TOP is such a huge stat, but it often gets ignored in favor of points and yards. Learning how to control the clock is also a huge step in helping a weak defense. If our offense had been 3rd in the league in TOP last year, we would be in the playoffs.

Our defense would still need a ton of help, but they would not haven gotten gauged nearly as badly. This is why, although some cringe at the idea of criticizing the offense for our problems, the offense did deserve a fair share of the blame for what happened. Just because they could put up yards didn't make them an effective offense. Especially given our defensive woes, an effective offense for us would have involved much better clock control.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Ask SD how important time of possession can be. They were still in great position yesterday at the half. Pitt couldn't do a damn thing on offense all game long. Then what happens? Their offense runs one play.....ONE PLAY....in the entire 3rd quarter as Pitt goes on three time consuming drives and just wipes the SD defense out. It was something like 25 plays to 1 in that quarter alone.

Pitt only scored 7 pts from those three drives but it didn't matter. The SD defense was ruined and the 4th quarter showed it.

Game over.

rastaman
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Here's a bit of sarcasm!

Cutler will need to agree to positive reinforcement shock therapy. This method consist of hooking wires up to his nut sack during the offseason, and while going thru his progression reads, if he's locking on to a receiver(s), he gets zapped for not looking at the second and third receiver options.;D

driver
01-12-2009, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=OSKIE!!!;2247297]The problem is that the Goodman's draft experience was based heavily on understanding what Shanny liked to do on offense. Their track record on defense isn't nearly as good. I have confidence that they can adjust, but we still are in a wait in see mode regarding the drafting of defensive personnel.

Shanny didn't have a clue about defense, how could Goodman scout anyone when no one knows anything.

Derrick Ward- Great size for a RB would be capable of caring the load. I see Peyton Hillis having a role on this team, but I'm not sure exactly what that role is yet. What I do know is that Ward is a 230# back with homerun ability. In fact, when you watch him run he looks more like a speed back than a power back. He has a strong stiff arm, 4.5 speed, and good cutbacks.

How about a 250lb'er who has a strong stiff arm 4.5 speed and cutback ability
Hillis has all that! So how about this we go back to the future start reusing the old pro set 2 split backs a 230 lb'er and a 250 lb'er run rt, run lt, run up the middle and pound the opposing D right into the ground.

There is an obvious need here and that is a mammoth DT. BJ Raji fits that bill.

Agreed but we would need 2 widebodies to play NT if we go to 3-4. Robertson can't do it because of his knee. Powell is too tall to play the nose.

We will also have to count on Marcus Thomas either adding some weight or dropping some weight and moving to the end. I think the latter is more likely considering his athleticism.

Maybe? Powell fast enough? Thomas fast enough? Peterson Crowder and Clemons are fast enough I think.

If DT wasn't such a big need I would go with Rey rey in the first to fit that ILB spot with a banger.

I think you have to go with REY in the 1st! We could have REY Spencer DJ WW and take Cushing in the 2nd . Would take Curry before all of them but he won't be on the board long. This could be a great LB corps.

We need to trim some fat off of our roster as well. I won't guess who but I think guys like Boss Bailey, Marlon McCree, Manuel, Engleberger, and Nate Webster are on their way out

Agreed I would add Moss and Dumerville to your list they would be useless in a 3-4 alignment.
I still like our corners Champ and Bly but concerned about their ages and injuries. The only good corner I've seen is jenkins but we have bigger needs
Too bad but Rome wasn't built in a day neither is a good defense.

BroncoMan4ever
01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
The problem is that the Goodman's draft experience was based heavily on understanding what Shanny liked to do on offense. Their track record on defense isn't nearly as good. I have confidence that they can adjust, but we still are in a wait in see mode regarding the drafting of defensive personnel.

My reasoning for that isn't that the Goodmans' aren't good at picking defensive players, it is that in their time here in Denver we haven't really had a good DC or any consistency with our DC, so they were always having to deal with what the coach that year wanted or what Shanahan wanted(and Mike was a ****ty judge of defensive talent). Now i think with some consistency and talent in the DC position we will begin to see them shine in drafting Defensive players and not just offense.

driver
01-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Here's a bit of sarcasm!

Cutler will need to agree to positive reinforcement shock therapy. This method consist of hooking wires up to his nut sack during the offseason, and while going thru his progression reads, if he's locking on to a receiver(s), he gets zapped for not looking at the second and third receiver options.;D

Agreed and 1 more thing he needs to carry a ball 24/7 and if he even thinks about letting go zap him again!Hilarious!