PDA

View Full Version : To those who think we needed a "defensive minded" HC

Jens1893
01-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Top 10 Defenses in the NFL in 2008 ranked by yards against and the coaching background of their coaches

Pittsburgh - Mike Tomlin, defensive backs
Baltimore - John Harbaugh, ST/defensive backs
Philadelphia - Andy Reid, OL/QB
Washington - Jim Zorn, QB
New York Giants - Tom Coughlin, WR/QB
Minnesota - Brad Childress, QB/WR
Tennessee - Jeff Fisher, defensive backs
Dallas - Wade Phillips, LB/DL
Tampa Bay - Jon Gruden, WR
New England - Bill Belichick, LB

5 of them are what I call "offensive minded". I think this should prove that itīs not about what side of the ball the coach is coming from, but rather about the assistants and the players he gets in. You donīt need a defensive minded coach to have a good D.

East
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I sort of agree with you.

However, most of those coaches were brought in to fix the other side of the ball.

Gruden basically guarenteed the Bucs the Super Bowl win against the Raiders seeing how he coached Rich Gannon.

Tony Dungy was brought in to fix up the Indianapolis defense.

Where I agree with you is that Denver needs to pick the best candidate for the job despite offensive or defensive minded. The best candidate in turn should bring in a great coordinator to focus on their respective side of the ball.

Lets all hope McDaniels is the real deal. I sure am excited.

Popps
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Fair enough, a D-minded coach doesn't ensure anything. I think the thought process with wanting a defensive guy was that we had so much in place already on offense, he could concentrate more resources on D.

But, same could be said for Mcdaniels, I suppose. He won't have to add a whole lot to that offense.

Spider
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
D minded , O minded , Special teams minded , doesnt really matter as long as we got the right coach ........