PDA

View Full Version : What current players will be a casualty of switching to the 3-4?

lex
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Just curious to see who people think will have to leave Denver because of a change to a 3-4? I have concerns about DJ even though we just committed to him in a big contract. So I think theyll try believing he will work out even if the writing is on that wll that he cant. He was a good Will but wasnt too adaptable to anything else.

Will Jarvis Moss be a good rush LB...what about Doom? Can Woodyard fit in?

I think Spags should have been the choice. He is/was the most qualified to fix Denvers problems but I think the 3-4 has advantages that make it easier to manage personnel. 1. DLinemen are some of the riskiest positions to draft. Obviously, the 3-4 then requires less risk than the 4-3. 2. Its easier to find LBs in the draft or FA. 3. Blitz flexibility. 4. Bigger LBs. I think those four things present advantages over the 4-3.

Do you think Marcus Thomas could play a DE in the 3-4?

We would also need a NT. I dont remember seeing anyone in who would become a FA.

montrose
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Obviously we can't turnover an entire roster in 1 offseason, but I doubt one of these guys (outside DJ possibly) is part of the long-term plan on defense.

Popps
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Obviously we can't turnover an entire roster in 1 offseason, but I doubt one of these guys (outside DJ possibly) is part of the long-term plan on defense.

Honestly. We're that bad. The prior staff left us with some real garbage over there.

-Champ
-Bly
-Larson
-Woodyard
-Willliams
-Robertson
-Thomas
-Dumervil
-Winborn (Potentially as a back-up)
-Barrett (Potentially as a back)

There's the guys we probably can't or wont' let go. It's an odd bunch, particularly if we're going to switch schemes. (Which hasn't been confirmed.)

But, as you can see... we basically have to start from scratch at DE and S, and have real issues at LB.

Whoever it ends up being on D has their work cut out for them.

wolf754life
01-11-2009, 10:31 PM
bly has to go

spdirty
01-12-2009, 08:18 AM
poor DJ. From will where he was great to sam to mlb back to where he was and having a pro bowl year tll he got hurt and now he has to figure out the 3-4.

At least he's a millionaire though so I guess he isnt that poor but still...

Drek
01-12-2009, 08:21 AM
poor DJ. From will where he was great to sam to mlb back to where he was and having a pro bowl year tll he got hurt and now he has to figure out the 3-4.

At least he's a millionaire though so I guess he isnt that poor but still...

He should fit well in the weak side ILB spot for the 3-4. His time at WLB and MLB the last two years are pretty good preparation.

spdirty
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
well good. I hope.

gyldenlove
01-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Starting up front:

Engelberger, Crowder, Peterson, Ekuban, Robertson (this is speculation because he is due a very large bonus payment that I think isn't guaranteed)

LB:

Webster, Boss Bailey, Winborn

Since we weren't going to keep any safeties other than Barrett and maybe Manuel anyway there are no casualties in the secondary that wouldn't have been gone anyway.

I assume Moss will stay because we are not running Belichiks 3-4 outright, in that system both Moss and Dumervil would be out quickly, but I think they will be retained to rotate at OLB for passing situations.

Old Dude
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Honestly. We're that bad. The prior staff left us with some real garbage over there.

-Champ
-Bly
-Larson
-Woodyard
-Willliams
-Robertson
-Thomas
-Dumervil
-Winborn (Potentially as a back-up)
-Barrett (Potentially as a back)

There's the guys we probably can't or wont' let go. It's an odd bunch, particularly if we're going to switch schemes. (Which hasn't been confirmed.)

But, as you can see... we basically have to start from scratch at DE and S, and have real issues at LB.

Whoever it ends up being on D has their work cut out for them.

Yeah. Though I'm less concerned about the secondary or LBs. If they shift to a 3/4, they'll have to really shuffle the D-Line - - which ain't a bad thing -

fontaine
01-12-2009, 08:37 AM
After watching the 3-4 demons from Pitt/SD play last night I can honestly hold my hand over my heart and say no one on the current front 7 can make the transition apart from DJ and Thomas/Robertson as DEs.

Those guys like Castillo, Hampton, Kiesel, Farrior, Phillips, I mean their front 7s make our guys look like malnourished midgets.

I can't wait till we drop these bums back out on the street where Mike Shanahan found them originally.

rugbythug
01-12-2009, 08:41 AM
After watching the 3-4 demons from Pitt/SD play last night I can honestly hold my hand over my heart and say no one on the current front 7 can make the transition apart from DJ and Thomas/Robertson as DEs.

Those guys like Castillo, Hampton, Kiesel, Farrior, Phillips, I mean their front 7s make our guys look like malnourished midgets.

I can't wait till we drop these bums back out on the street where Mike Shanahan found them originally.

Went to High School with him

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Do we know for an absolute fact that we're moving to the 3-4? I know Capers and Nolan have coached it but Nolan also worked under Reeves, who is a 4-3 guy. Knowing that the personel doesn't fit that scheme and it might take 3 drafts to put the whole thing together, is it possible we stick with the 4-3 after all?

Just wondering...nobody's specifically stated yet that we're going that direction right?

SpringStein
01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Marcus Thomas will be a stud at DE in the 3-4.

SoDak Bronco
01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I think whatever we do, I want us to do it and be aggressive. Look at all the defensive philosphy's that are having success, they are attacking the LOS and getting after the QB. The sit back and see approach to defense does not get it done unless you have some freaking unbelievable front 4. I want us pressing the WR's and bringing some disguises to the table.

That is how the Chargers/Pat's/Steelers continually give teams trouble is their aggressive defensive scheme. Whether we are running the 4-3 or 3-4, I hope to god we are going to atleast get beat being aggressive. I'll take that over what we witnessed this past year( Giving WR's a 10-15 yard cushion and making it obvious what we were doing pre-snap).

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I dunno if Nic Clemons is worth a damn, but he looks like a 3-4 end too...same with Kenny Peterson.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I'd keep Thomas, Ekuban, Robertson, shift Dum and Moss to OLB, move DJ inside and pair him with Larsen or Woodyard. Draft a bob sanders/ troy palumaluesque safety and get depth at corner. Play more bump and run for Dre and let champ do whatever the F he wants.

:Broncos:

MABroncoFan
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
As far as our current D-line, I'd guess:

Thomas - DE
Dumervil - maybe moves to OLB like Bertrand Berry did
Moss - same as Dumervil
Engleburger - too small for DE, let go
Ekuban - too small for DE, not resigned
Robertson - NT, but that didn't work out w/ the Jets
Powell - maybe NT?
Peterson - DE if he resigns
Shaw - not a fit in 3-4
Clemons - DE
Crowder - DE - maybe needs to get bigger

We really don't have a pass-rushing OLB that we'd need in the 3-4, other than if Moss and/or Dumervil can convert. Wouldn't DJ and Winborn fit more in as ILB in a 3-4? Bailey maybe the same.

Drek
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Do we know for an absolute fact that we're moving to the 3-4? I know Capers and Nolan have coached it but Nolan also worked under Reeves, who is a 4-3 guy. Knowing that the personel doesn't fit that scheme and it might take 3 drafts to put the whole thing together, is it possible we stick with the 4-3 after all?

Just wondering...nobody's specifically stated yet that we're going that direction right?
He primarily ran the 3-4 when coaching under Reeves though. His original connection to Reeves was that he was our LB coach when Joe Collier was still here as our DC.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a full out 3-4 changeover coming. I'd be equally surprised if it wasn't heavily inspired by the FO's desires. There is no way our FO has been as successful scouting talent as they have the last three years but fails to see the trend of collegiate talent skewing towards the 3-4 scheme.

They know we need to go 3-4 to build through the draft without truly bottoming out and hopefully doing so in a year with a Peppers/Mario Williams.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2009, 09:35 AM
As far as our current D-line, I'd guess:

Thomas - DE
Dumervil - maybe moves to OLB like Bertrand Berry did
Moss - same as Dumervil
Engleburger - too small for DE, let go
Ekuban - too small for DE, not resigned
Robertson - NT, but that didn't work out w/ the Jets
Powell - maybe NT?
Peterson - DE if he resigns
Shaw - not a fit in 3-4
Clemons - DE
Crowder - DE - maybe needs to get bigger

We really don't have a pass-rushing OLB that we'd need in the 3-4, other than if Moss and/or Dumervil can convert. Wouldn't DJ and Winborn fit more in as ILB in a 3-4? Bailey maybe the same.

Powell better get an opportunity or I am egging Mc****s house.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Powell better get an opportunity or I am egging Mc****s house.

Egg Nolan or Capers or whoever.

barryr
01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I think Thomas and maybe Peterson could make the switch to DE in a 3-4 and be ok. But really no other current DL I see able to do it other than Powell and he's coming off injury. I also don't see Dumervil making it at OLB unless he only plays in certain passing downs. I seriously doubt he could cover anybody at LB and I doubt Moss could either.

TonyR
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Let's hope Pat has the checkbook out and is ready to spend in FA. That's the only way we can compete with a 3-4 next season. How many starters can you realistically expect the land in one draft?

Traveler
01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Besides looking for obvious improvement on defense, I'll be especially foucusing on our 4 young DLineman to see if Burney & Johnson were as bad as some, me included, think they were.

azbroncfan
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
At least Engleberger will probably be gone. He doesn't fit any system.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Let's hope Pat has the checkbook out and is ready to spend in FA. That's the only way we can compete with a 3-4 next season. How many starters can you realistically expect the land in one draft?

Yup, because 1 year turnarounds NEVER happen in the NFL...Never know how current players fit into new schemes. I expect a radically different linebacking corps and safety combo next year. I dont think Bly and Champ go anywhere.

Rausch 2.0
01-12-2009, 11:15 AM

I hear the same argument on CP all the time.

And it's moronic.

Your (KC or Denver) defense is complete $#it. Horrible from the line back save ONE legit all pro (not in KC. But our punter should be all pro.)

When you are ****ing terrible there is no changeover or setback. The distance from suck to suck is suck.

"But we don't have the d lineman to play a 3-4."

Frankly, you don't have the d lineman to play any defense. At all.

I should know. My team just surpassed the all time FAIL mark for d line ineptitude. EVERY EXPANSION TEAM IN HISTORY got more sacks than the Cheifs this year. Yeah, that really puts it in perspective.

But the fans in KC don't want a 3-4 coach because "we don't have the talent up front...."

rubaiyat
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM

Oh come now, Dumervil has been great for us. And Ekuban has been quietly decent. They aren't world beaters but come on.

PRBronco
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM

And it's moronic.

Your (KC or Denver) defense is complete $#it. Horrible from the line back save ONE legit all pro (not in KC. But our punter should be all pro.)

When you are ****ing terrible there is no changeover or setback. The distance from suck to suck is suck.

I should know. My team just surpassed the all time FAIL mark for d line ineptitude. EVERY EXPANSION TEAM IN HISTORY got more sacks than the Cheifs this year. Yeah, that really puts it in perspective.

But the fans in KC don't want a 3-4 coach because "we don't have the talent up front...."

:rofl:

TonyR
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Yup, because 1 year turnarounds NEVER happen in the NFL...Never know how current players fit into new schemes. I expect a radically different linebacking corps and safety combo next year. I dont think Bly and Champ go anywhere.

You set out to bash my statement but actually supported it. Well done.

How do you expect to accomplish what I bolded in your statement above without dipping into FA? You're going to find 2 starting safties and 1 or 2 starting LB's in one draft? It's that easy?

TonyR
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM

And it's moronic.

How so? We didn't compete in the 4-3 last season, we're not going to compete in the 3-4 next season without bringing in some starting caliber FA's. It's really fairly simple.

I'm not suggesting we go out and sign 9 new starters in FA because that's not going to happen. But we do need to target upgrades for at least 2-3 positions on the defense, and clearly to get some of the bigger names you're going to have to spend. That's what FA is all about and why Shanny's failing drafts prior to the last few have been so costly to this team.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
You set out to bash my statement but actually supported it. Well done.

How do you expect to accomplish what I bolded in your statement above without dipping into FA? You're going to find 2 starting safties and 1 or 2 starting LB's in one draft? It's that easy?

Players might already be on the roster. All depends on the scheme and how they take to it. Its entirely possible the safety solution is already on the roster, as are the linebackers for a 3-4, meaning you need to find a NT for the 3-4, which can be done in a single offseason. You act like its so hard now to build a solid to good defense in a short time frame. Enjoy the process, next season is going to be a riot.

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 12:18 PM

And it's moronic.

That's what I'm saying. You don't blow something up when it's good. When it sucks there is really not loss in blowing it up. Worst case scenario is it's the same and still sucks. Best case is it gets better. I say blow it up and go 3-4.

TonyR
01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Enjoy the process, next season is going to be a riot.

I'm very much behind the moves thus far so I do intend to enjoy it! My comment that I hope Mr. Bowlen is ready to spend is not a criticism if that's how you took it. I do, however, think that our lack of talent on D will force us into FA, and I don't think this is a radical position.

Drek
01-12-2009, 12:42 PM
How so? We didn't compete in the 4-3 last season, we're not going to compete in the 3-4 next season without bringing in some starting caliber FA's. It's really fairly simple.

I'm not suggesting we go out and sign 9 new starters in FA because that's not going to happen. But we do need to target upgrades for at least 2-3 positions on the defense, and clearly to get some of the bigger names you're going to have to spend. That's what FA is all about and why Shanny's failing drafts prior to the last few have been so costly to this team.

I think his point is that no matter what, be it a 4-3, 3-4, 4-6, 4-4, whatever we want to run, unless we completely overhaul the talent in the front line this team isn't going to compete defensively regardless.

A 3-4 isn't costing this team talented personnel or quality development time because quite frankly in the front seven we've got zero of either banked.

Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss, and Tim Crowder have learned less in their two years with the Broncos about being NFL level DLs than they probably learned in high school. I'm not even joking with that either. All three have one move, bull rush. If they can't over power they can't be effective. Jarvis Moss is 260 freakin' pounds and the only move he's got is a bull rush!

Elvis Dumervil and DJ Williams are the only guys who've shown any signs of talent in more than just a handful of games. The first can't be an every down starter in a 4-3 because he's too small and weak against the run for a down lineman. But he might be able to fill that role as a 3-4 OLB. And the second? The more I see him play the more I like the idea of him as a 3-4 weak side ILB.

Our talent fits the 3-4 better than the 4-3 because at least that way all the small little DEs we've been stock piling can move back to DE and maybe, just maybe, we'll find one who can ball. We're a runty team, going to a 3-4 will be the fastest way to change that. No matter what we need to add probably 4-6 new starters on defense though.

TonyR
01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
No matter what we need to add probably 4-6 new starters on defense though.

I think we're in agreement. My initial point was that we're not going to get 4-6 starters in the draft alone, particularly not in one draft. I realize FA isn't the ideal way to build a team but when you have very little to work with I think you're forced to dabble in FA at least a little bit if you want to compete at a high level right away. If we're okay with building for a couple of years then draft only makes some sense.

DarkHorse
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM

We really only need to address a few areas, I can't see how we would do any worse than this past year with even rookies stepping in, or 2nd rated players in FA.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Players might already be on the roster. All depends on the scheme and how they take to it. Its entirely possible the safety solution is already on the roster

Whether they are running the 3-4 or the 4-3, I can say with a great deal of confidence that the safety solution is not already on the roster.

MagicHef
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
We really only need to address a few areas, I can't see how we would do any worse than this past year with even rookies stepping in, or 2nd rated players in FA.

The sad thing is that the first time I read that, I thought it said 'eleven' instead of 'even.' Now I'm not entirely sure which one you meant, because I think I agree with either.

DarkHorse
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
lol

I meant we could run with more rookies learning the 3-4 or 2nd tier FA pickups and won't do any worse than what we did last year.

WolfpackGuy
01-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Whether they are running the 3-4 or the 4-3, I can say with a great deal of confidence that the safety solution is not already on the roster.

Word!

Drek
01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I think we're in agreement. My initial point was that we're not going to get 4-6 starters in the draft alone, particularly not in one draft. I realize FA isn't the ideal way to build a team but when you have very little to work with I think you're forced to dabble in FA at least a little bit if you want to compete at a high level right away. If we're okay with building for a couple of years then draft only makes some sense.

You can't build entirely through the draft, especially with a core as young as ours. We need guys who've been in the trenches and have veteran experience. Either guys who've been in the playoffs and tasted success or guys who've been near final cuts and fought back to keep themselves in the league. That mindset infects a team and makes it better.

They don't need to be big budget guys though. James Harrison is a great example of that. Street FA who had to fight to get in the league. Then he had to fight to stay on the Steelers roster. Now he's just fighting to lead the league in sacks.

Same goes for guys like Kyle Van Den Bosch. Considered a rotational mediocrity coming out of AZ as a free agent a few years ago, he found a home and busted ass to become one of the more disruptive all around linemen in the NFL.

We need smart acquisitions who fit the system and bring some toughness and experience they can pass on to the younger guys around them. Build a mindset of being tougher than everyone else every single Sunday.

The problem with this D ever since Al Wilson left, above all else, is a lack of fire and intensity. No one taking it personally and no one fearing for their jobs. They all got to be afraid for their jobs every single day and they all got to take every time they get beat personal.

Archer81
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm very much behind the moves thus far so I do intend to enjoy it! My comment that I hope Mr. Bowlen is ready to spend is not a criticism if that's how you took it. I do, however, think that our lack of talent on D will force us into FA, and I don't think this is a radical position.

I dont think we lack talent. We lack a scheme that takes advantage of the talents available. I think thats where we have a disagreement. But we will see the next 3 months or so.

azbroncfan
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I dont think we lack talent. We lack a scheme that takes advantage of the talents available. I think thats where we have a disagreement. But we will see the next 3 months or so.

If your players are talented they will fit any scheme. JE sucks at any scheme along with all the S's.

chrisp
01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Well, its hard to be too concerned about what the new staff might do to the defense, because the only place where we have definite quality is the secondary (Champ) which remains pretty much the same whatever we do in the front seven.

We know Robertson isn't a world-beater as a 3-4 NT but I am curious as to whether the system he played in the jets was a true two-gap NT or a one-gap NT like it is rumoured we will likely play. I have a gut feel he could be respectable and maybe a a fill-in for a year or two while we try to either get our hands on a better FA or get a true NT in the draft.

Thomas is young and still has potential and could well prove to be a good fit for a 3-4 end, he may even be a respectable fill-in at NT, you never know. I think everyone knows the biggest issue with the 3-4 is the NT position.

Moss and Dumervil are both the tweener types that should have a good chance of doing fine as OLBs in a 3-4, but that's not a certainty by any stretch. Both are coming off slightly disappointing years however, so again, there's less harm in trying something new, could be just what both need.

Whilst the obvious place for DJ is one of the MLB positions, if either one of Moss or Dumervil fail to pan out he could move outside - it could even be his best position in the 3-4. I think that whatever happens DJ has the athletisism to thrive anywhere.

So there are question marks, but little to lose next year so what the heck. Biggest question mark is what we're going to do for a Nose tackle, biggest potential upside is that Moss, Doom and DJ all have the potential to thrive in the 3-4.

Next season will be fun. And interesting. Off we go!

McLuvin
01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Marcus thomas= DE or NT if we dont get Brace

Peterson= DE

Jarvis Moss= OLB

Crowder= DE

Dumervil= traded

DJ Williams INsideLB

Wesley woodyard= put on some weight and play Inside LB

Rausch 2.0
11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I say blow it up and go 3-4.

HA!

You're close enough to win!:approve:

Rausch 2.0
11-21-2009, 01:38 AM
So, how the fans feel now?...

watermock
11-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Ah.. lot of good comments before Cutlergate.

azbroncfan
11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
So, how the fans feel now?...

I like the scheme they transition year this year has been much better than I thought initially. There still is a lot of improvement to be made though.

The Joker
11-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Still a lot of work to do in rebuilding this defense, the front 3 still needs adding to and the secondary needs to get younger.

I'm not entirely sold on our ILB's as a long term solution either.

It's credit to McDaniels and Nolan that we've fielded such a competitive defense this year. With some good additions in the offseason next year we should be able to improve further still.

oubronco
11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd like to see Spikes roaming the middle of the field and Cody anchoring the line now that would be awesome

Rausch 2.0
02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Final say: likey or not the new Denver (sometimes)3-4?...

barryr
02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd like the 3-4 if it was a true 3-4. Too many times last year, it just looked like a 4-3 to me.

TonyR
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM
This thread begs the question: where is lex?

broncosteven
02-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd like the 3-4 if it was a true 3-4. Too many times last year, it just looked like a 4-3 to me.

If it were a true 3-4 the Dline would have been asked to do more than they did.

I think once teams started watching for the A gap blitz this D's days were numbered.

Kaylore
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Final say: likey or not the new Denver (sometimes)3-4?...

Love it. We need more size on the front end and more speed on the back end, but it's a solid unit and we don't have any real glaring holes. We need upgrades at linebacker and D-line, but you can no longer say "we have the worst (insert position) in all of football" about our defense.

D-line and linebacker could use some playmakers and some more good young talent for the secondary would be really nice. Overall I'm glad they went with the 3-4. McDaniels said kind of what I was saying earlier in this thread when he said "The 4-3 wasn't really here" meaning the previous defense sucked there was no fear of rebuilding from crap. Very happy Rausch.

And its good to see you over here. :)

Jason in LA
02-14-2010, 03:20 PM
This thread begs the question: where is lex?

Kobe hit some buzzer beaters so lex took off. ;D I guess if his argument wasn't dead from the get go it's really dead now.

nickademus
02-14-2010, 04:01 PM
didnt lex get banned?

Rausch 2.0
02-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Love it. We need more size on the front end and more speed on the back end, but it's a solid unit and we don't have any real glaring holes. We need upgrades at linebacker and D-line, but you can no longer say "we have the worst (insert position) in all of football" about our defense.

D-line and linebacker could use some playmakers and some more good young talent for the secondary would be really nice. Overall I'm glad they went with the 3-4. McDaniels said kind of what I was saying earlier in this thread when he said "The 4-3 wasn't really here" meaning the previous defense sucked there was no fear of rebuilding from crap. Very happy Rausch.

With the season over I'd say the same.

Yes, as individuals, the defense underachieved. There should be more production from guys like DJ, Dorsey, Jackson, etc. Though, this was their first year in a 3-4 and the D coordinator was a slobbering douche.

Everyone argues how hard it is to find a solid 3-4 NT but I think it's infinitely more difficult to find 2 true man coverage/press corners...