PDA

View Full Version : Nolan + Capers = 3-4

Killericon
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Can Dumervil and Moss play OLB? What happens to Robertson, who couldn't handle a a 3-4 role in New York? What happens to Woodyard and DJ? Can Thomas play a 3-4 DE?

Broncojef
01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Can Dumervil and Moss play OLB? What happens to Robertson, who couldn't handle a a 3-4 role in New York? What happens to Woodyard and DJ? Can Thomas play a 3-4 DE?

I'm fairly confident we don't have all the guys on our roster that will be supporting this defensive overhaul that is coming. The nice part is we might actually have some defensive gurus that will evaluate our current talent (or lack thereof) and move into FA, and the draft to start building our new defense. We are in desparate need of this overhaul and it sounds like we now have some guys that can help right the ship. Very exciting times!!!

Natedog24
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Needless to say expect some drastic personnel moves on the defense side of the ball...

broncolife
It will be funny when we start seeing threads asking us if we will switch to 4-3.

Killericon
I'm fairly confident we don't have all the guys on our roster that will be supporting this defensive overhaul that is coming. The nice part is we might actually have some defensive gurus that will evaluate our current talent (or lack thereof) and move into FA, and the draft to start building our new defense. We are in desparate need of this overhaul and it sounds like we now have some guys that can help right the ship. Very exciting times!!!

Oh, I'm fully expecting us to make a TON of moves this offseason. I suspect we'll pull some scraps off the 49ers' and Patriots' rosters. What I really want to know is what happens to the guys already on the roster.

PRBronco
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, if I'm not mistaken, Robertson has a big bonus coming up in his contract if we keep him? I'm thinking maybe he's on his way out.

Can anyone confirm that for me please? I am bad with teh numbars.

broncolife
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I wonder if we will be trading some of our Defensive players away because they dont fit the system.

Killericon
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, I figure DJ is gonna play ILB. There's no way we can move him. Robertson is out(Which sucks, I love the guy). Thomas plays end, we get someone new to play NT and the other end spot. Dumervil and Moss tryout at OLB.

Man...This is gonna be one hectic offseason.

(Jae)
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Ugh, Should've really went after Jenkins and Rogers instead of Robertson.

Killericon
01-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Ugh, Should've really went after Jenkins and Rogers instead of Robertson.

Bah! Robertson cost us nothing.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2009, 10:20 PM
If only Shanahan had been clairvoyant enough last offseason to see his firing this offseason and the possible move by the new HC to a 3-4, then he probably would have went after Jenkins or Rogers.

BroncoBuff
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Moss seems top have the same kinda build as Ware ???

But quite simply, we do NOT have the personnel to run the 3-4. We already blew up a couppla decent DTs to move to Jim Bates defense, and that went to hell in an Amon Gordon handbasket.

Now we have two young 4-3 DTs in Thomas and Powell, a decent 4-3 DE in Dumervil and huge investment a couppla project 4-3 DEs Moss and Crowder. PLEASE just stay 4-3.

Broncojef
01-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh, I'm fully expecting us to make a TON of moves this offseason. I suspect we'll pull some scraps off the 49ers' and Patriots' rosters. What I really want to know is what happens to the guys already on the roster.

I really really believe Slowick sucked so bad we don't know what we had/have on defense right now. There was no true analysis of skill, no scheme week to week and no coaching. I'm excited as anything right now thinking someone might save guys who we thought sucked and scrap guys Slowick saw as a starter. That said I'm willing to bet we draft defense early and often and many FA will march into Dove Valley at least as a stop gap measure.

robbieopperude
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Moving to the three/four will be good for this defense. Is Tank Johnson a good NT for the system. He is available and exactly the type of potential our DL nees. There will be lots of competition in the LB spots with only DJ having a spot for sure. I am excited as I have no idea who will be on the D.Line next year.

Man-Goblin
01-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I believe Nolan ran a true hybrid with the niners; same with the ravens.

(Jae)
01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
If only Shanahan had been clairvoyant enough last offseason to see his firing this offseason and the possible move by the new HC to a 3-4, then he probably would have went after Jenkins or Rogers.

Or was just smart enough to pony up some cash for any one of the 3 great DT's available on the market in a area that was of huge need for his defense, instead of just an average player with "potential" who is not much of a factor on the worst Bronco defense since Jesus was alive, yeah, it would have been nice.
We'd be much better off, whether he was here or not.
Especially with this 3-4 switch.
But such is life.

PRBronco
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Ok quick, take all the weight gain products that we've been sending to Jarvis and re-route them to Carlton Powell!

Broncos_OTM
01-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Moving to the three/four will be good for this defense. Is Tank Johnson a good NT for the system. He is available and exactly the type of potential our DL nees. There will be lots of competition in the LB spots with only DJ having a spot for sure. I am excited as I have no idea who will be on the D.Line next year.

He is a cancer that is probably why he wont be resigned in dallas..were talking about dallas the raiders of the NFC

~Crash~
01-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Well, I figure DJ is gonna play ILB. There's no way we can move him. Robertson is out(Which sucks, I love the guy). Thomas plays end, we get someone new to play NT and the other end spot. Dumervil and Moss tryout at OLB.

DJ will be trade to move up in the draft

East
01-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Terrell Suggs could be signed with the switch to the 3-4!

Mike Nolan having coached Suggs before could be a deciding factor for him.

~Crash~
01-11-2009, 11:21 PM
you pay big money to the NT that is it . the rest is easy to replace

cutthemdown
01-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Broncos better get a big DT and big inside linebacker. Larsen may be able to develop into an inside backer in a 3-4. Woodyard IMO is out of luck in a 3-4. Really none of our starters from this yr fit a 3-4 very well IMO.

Killericon
01-11-2009, 11:27 PM

Please, oh, please yes.

montrose
01-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Very true, Bart Scott is also a possibility at ILB although I imagine that will be DJ's spot.

East
01-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Broncos better get a big DT and big inside linebacker. Larsen may be able to develop into an inside backer in a 3-4. Woodyard IMO is out of luck in a 3-4. Really none of our starters from this yr fit a 3-4 very well IMO.

Yeah I agree that most of our starters are not 3-4 material. One could say though that by the way they played this year that they weren't 4-3 material either... or good players.

I believe that the defense needs to be scrapped with the exception of a few players such as, D.J. Williams, Champ Bailey, Dre' Bly (with a restructure), Marcus Thomas, and Josh Barrett. The rest will need to fight for their spots. I have faith in Spencer Larsen to work really hard to make his spot.

If Schefter is right (which he is 99.9% of the time) and Mike Nolan is the DC, he has a good chance of nabbing Suggs and that would be so awesome seeing how is very young for an OLB at 26.

enjolras
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
When can they start cutting players? I'm looking forward to the magic words:

"Broncos MLB Nate Webster was released today.."

East
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM
When can they start cutting players? I'm looking forward to the magic words:

"Broncos MLB Nate Webster was released today.."

HAHAHA YESS!!!!!!

I'd even except:

"Broncos paid [Enter Team Here] to take MLB Nate Webster."

Killericon
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Boss Bailey / Nate Webster / Jamie Winborn / Niko Koutouvides / Marquand Manuel / DeWayne Robertson

Anyone think any of these players will still be around?

OBF1
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Why not run the 46 D?

East
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Boss Bailey, Nate Webster, Jamie Winborn, Niko Koutouvides, Marquand Manuel, DeWayne Robertson.

Anyone think any of these players will still be around?

Niko Koutouvides has 15 letters in his name and only 12 tackles on the year... he's gone.

Marquand Manuel had 4 passes deflected in all 14 games started. Josh Barrett had 4 in his 3 game started. Marquand is gone.

Webster... GONE!

Boss and Winborn might make it with a monster camp or as back ups.

D-Rob can make it with a restructured contract. The guy gets a 3 million bonus for making the roster and he can't even pass a physical.

WABronco
01-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I'd say who is good enough to keep while keeping in mind that it takes 11 to field a defense. We have a handful of players worth keeping, and even they aren't particularly "irreplaceable". Burn the whole thing down if you want Nolan...

Now of course, that's unrealistic, but it's the truth.

listopencil
01-11-2009, 11:57 PM
you pay big money to the NT that is it . the rest is easy to replace

Git 'er done.

barryr
01-12-2009, 06:18 AM
The Broncos need 3 starting DL that are at least in the 300lb range and OLB's that can rush the QB and ILB that can blitz effectively. That is you need all of that if going to have an effective 3-4 defense.

Killericon
01-12-2009, 06:22 AM
I'd like to see Andre Davis in a Broncos uniform.

SoDak Bronco
01-12-2009, 06:22 AM
how does haynesworth fit in a 3-4 scheme??

Elway777
01-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Just because the Broncos get Nolan and Capers does not mean we switch to a 3-4. Nolan 2001 Superbowl ravens ran a 4-3 with 2 big DT in the middle and 2 pass rushing ends. Also Capers ran a 4-3 when he coached for Jacksonville.

Killericon
01-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Just because the Broncos get Nolan and Capers does not mean we switch to a 3-4. Nolan 2001 Superbowl ravens ran a 4-3 with 2 big DT in the middle and 2 pass rushing ends. Also Capers ran a 4-3 when he coached for Jacksonville.

Nolan wasn't with the Ravens for their Superbowl win...Or if he was, he was their WR coach.

Drek
01-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Ravens won the SB in 2000. When Nolan took over he started the transition to the 3-4 hybrid that is now coached by Rex Ryan and going progressively more and more 3-4.

He's a 3-4 coach though. That is what he has predominantly ran everywhere he's been and what he cut his teeth running, here in Denver as our LB coach from '87 to '92.

DJ will be trade to move up in the draft
The cap hit from trading/cutting him would cost us about half of our cap room this year. He's also a pretty solid fit for the weak side ILB job in the 3-4, especially since he's played MLB in a 4-3 just last year.

Our supposedly "talent" pieces in the front seven fit the 3-4 at least as well as the 4-3 if you ask me. Only guy who doesn't have a home in it is Woodyard, who'll need to either move to safety or bulk up and find a home at ILB.

WolfpackGuy
01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
The Ravens ran a 4-3 when they won the Super Bowl.
You never really saw defensive holding called until after that season because Siragusa and Adams made a living off it.

MagicHef
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM

I don't know much about the positional differences, but could Robertson play 3-4 DE?

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 08:23 AM
The bad news is the entire defense is going to have to get overhauled. The good news is it can't get much worse. The other good news is regardless of what scheme we were going to run, we needed to a mass purging of our entire staff and many of our players. 3-4 defenses are a bit easier to build than a 4-3. I like this move. Let's get some big, tough linebackers. :strong:

Merlin
01-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Just because the Broncos get Nolan and Capers does not mean we switch to a 3-4.
They better not. This team's front 7 is TOTALLY inadequate for a 3-4. There is virtually no player in the team's front 7 right now that would start for any of the present teams using the 3-4 alignment. Our best LB cannot shed blocks, the young guns are too small, and forget about the DL (if Moss were to dramatically improve, he might, and that's it). At best this team could be a hybrid if they receive excellent coaching and the players develop better brains and instincts in their off time.

Kid A
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
The bad news is the entire defense is going to have to get overhauled. The good news is it can't get much worse. The other good news is regardless of what scheme we were going to run, we needed to a mass purging of our entire staff and many of our players. 3-4 defenses are a bit easier to build than a 4-3. I like this move. Let's get some big, tough linebackers. :strong:

The 3-4 can only be an improvement on our current 34+ defense.