PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Mike Nolan will be Broncos DC

montrose
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Per 9News here in Denver. Capers will also be on the staff.

EDIT: LINK ADDED

Mike Nolan bound for Denver, too
By Adam Schefter

Now that the Broncos have agreed to hire Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as head coach, he has begun to piece together his staff.

McDaniels’ most significant hire will be his defensive coordinator. And Denver’s new defensive coordinator is expected to be former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, a Broncos source confirmed Sunday night.

Nolan interviewed for the Packers’ job last week, but he will take the Broncos’ job, returning him to the city where he once coached under Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/12/mike-nolan-bound-for-denver-too/

ColoradoBuff
Sweet!!!! Hope they are right!

broncolife
Holy poop!

wolf754life
YES! this is wonderful news, capers will be on the staff

MIKE NOLAN IT IS BABY!

how good is it to be wrong!

jgraves31
01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

"Now that the Broncos have agreed to hire Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as head coach, he has begun to piece together his staff.

McDaniels’ most significant hire will be his defensive coordinator. And Denver’s new defensive coordinator is expected to be former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, a Broncos source confirmed Sunday night.

Nolan interviewed for the Packers’ job last week, but he will take the Broncos’ job, returning him to the city where he once coached under Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips."

Broncosfreak_56
That would be amazing.

Dexter
Per 9News here in Denver. Capers will also be on the staff.

Wow 8') Talk about a good supporting cast, if this is indeed true.

DivineLegion
I like Nolan alot better than Capers!

Los Broncos
Nice, hope it works out.

BigPlayShay
01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
ok, that would be pretty sweet.

tsiguy96
01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Yesssss

broncolife
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
So I assume we are running the 3-4 :)

ludo21
this changes everything!!

:pray: let this be true!!!!

titan
I just heard this too on Channel 9. I was happy with Capers coming and adding Nolan makes the news even better. Those worried about McDaniels' youth - 2 veteran defensive coordinators on the staff where the team needs the most help looks good. Definite upgrade over Slowik. Offense will be fine.

Finger Roll
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
what will capers be? Asst. head coach

TheReverend
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
This looks good. It really does.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Where does it say Capers is also coming?

SouthStndJunkie
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
This is the 3rd rumored defensive coordinator that we have heard about tonight.

Who is it?

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I think Bowlen actually got this right! Way to go Pat. Our Defensive staff is lite years better than last.

TheDave
I like Nolan alot better than Capers!

Ditto...

montrose

CBS4 reported Capers will be on the staff.

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM

It was on 9news.

jhat01

**** yes it does

tsiguy96
This is the 3rd rumored defensive coordinator that we have heard about tonight.

Who is it?

weve been doubting schefter all along, but hes been 100% right. no reason to think he isnt now.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
It was on 9news.

I watched 9News, if they did, I apparently went deaf for a few seconds.

montrose
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Bring on the 3-4!

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2009, 10:16 PM
weve been doubting schefter all along, but hes been 100% right. no reason to think he isnt now.

Yeah, looks like even without Shanahan anymore, the guy still has amazing sources within in the organization.

eddie mac
Now this is confusing. Is Nolan 3-4 or 4-3???

Mediator12
Yeah, looks like even without Shanahan anymore, the guy still has amazing sources within in the organization.

Except he got scooped on the actual HC hire tonight.....

wolf754life
01-11-2009, 10:17 PM

thats the spirit rev, onward and upward, this is going to be alot of fun!

capers has been hired by the club and is coming to denver

A source also said the team will hire Dom Capers, who was the head coach of expansion teams Carolina and then Houston. He was an assistant/secondary coach with the Patriots this season after serving eight years as an NFL head coach.

Mediator12

Nolan is not tied to a system, but he prefers the 3-4.

obediah
this makes McDaniels a wise choice, Without Nolan it makes no sense.

I truly hope Schefter is right, if he is, im happy, wonder who will play us in the playoffs next year?

TheDave
01-11-2009, 10:18 PM

He converted SF to a 3-4 so i'm guessing thats what he prefers.

TheReverend
01-11-2009, 10:20 PM
thats the spirit rev, onward and upward, this is going to be alot of fun!

capers has been hired by the club and is coming to denver

A source also said the team will hire Dom Capers, who was the head coach of expansion teams Carolina and then Houston. He was an assistant/secondary coach with the Patriots this season after serving eight years as an NFL head coach.

Chill out you little weasel. It's certainly not an upgrade at HC, but on the whole this could certainly be a lateral move and I absolutely ADORE the group of guys they're "rumored" to have assembled.

Pat might not be AS retarded as I thought. Still retarded. Just not as "have you seem my baseball" as much as "Rainman"

UberBroncoMan
THANK GOD!!!

All this Don Capers talk was scaring the hell out of me!

Hercules Rockefeller
Except he got scooped on the actual HC hire tonight.....

But he always the guy saying McDaniels was the top choice, when everyone else was saying Spags or Frazier or Morris.

TheDave
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Chill out you little weasel. It's certainly not an upgrade at HC, but on the whole this could certainly be a lateral move and I absolutely ADORE the group of guys they're "rumored" to have assembled.

Pat might not be AS retarded as I thought. Still retarded. Just not as "have you seem my baseball" as much as "Rainman"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Broncoman13
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM
You guys really need to stop questioning me!!!

Called the McDaniels and Nolan hires. Capers and one more former Bronco coach will complete the defensive staff!

AWESOME JOB BRONCOS!!!

lostknight
01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
This coaching staff on paper looks interesting. A patriots offensive coordinator with the kind of spread formation goodness that we want for Jay and company, tempered by Dennison, who the Broncos where grooming to replace Shanahan, and our boy genius in Bates.

Plus some serious defensive pedigree. The only question in my mind is will Josh McDaniels have the authority he needs to keep this staff executing on the same goal?

eddie mac
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
You guys really need to stop questioning me!!!

Called the McDaniels and Nolan hires. Capers and one more former Bronco coach will complete the defensive staff!

AWESOME JOB BRONCOS!!!

Teerlink, Meeks???

24champ
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Bring on the 3-4!

Yep...getting rid of the scrap heap Defense and rebuilding it to be new and shiny and most of all... more effective.

Bob's your Information Minister
I'm sort of jealous.

wolf754life
two ex head coaches in the room with Mc D. that can't be overstated, its important.

capers has experience with total rebuilds on defense.

i'm a weasel, and a proud bronco fan, a brand new day baby, the future is so so bright, can't wait for the draft or free agency!

montrose
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
He converted SF to a 3-4 so i'm guessing thats what he prefers.

He's the one who converted the Ravens (arguably the greatest of all time in 2000) to a 3-4. Under his coaching, the Ravens defense ranked high and both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed won DPOY awards. He was also DC with the Giants, Redskins and Jets during his career.

lex
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
two ex head coaches in the room with Mc D. that can't be overstated, its important.

capers has experience with total rebuilds on defense.

i'm a weasel, and a proud bronco fan, a brand new day baby, the future is so so bright, can't wait for the draft or free agency!

Yeah, Im sure theyre loving it. Nothing better than working for a 32 year old when youre a respected coach.

broncolife
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Teerlink, Meeks???

I think hes talking about Coyer

lex
He's the one who converted the Ravens defense (arguably the greatest of all time in 2000) to a 3-4. Under his coaching, the Ravens defense ranked high and both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed won DPOY awards. He was also DC with the Giants, Redskins and Jets during his career.

Lewis was their DC in 2000 and not Nolan.

jhat01
Yeah, Im sure theyre loving it. Nothing better than working for a 32 year old when youre a respected coach.

then why take the job?

montrose
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM

I know that, I lived in Baltimore in 2000. I was stating that Nolan converted that defense to a 3-4, showing he's truly a 3-4 guy.

TheReverend
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
i'm a weasel

Thanks for the new sig.

Orange_Beard
01-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Good coach, just leave the suits home.

Chris
01-11-2009, 10:31 PM
They're probably excited to be on board with Mcdaniels because of his youth. That and they see potential in this team. Chances are Nolan sees us as a future championship team and will springboard back to head coaching from there.

wolf754life
01-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the new sig.

rev, we are no longer foe, if you want to bash go ahead, i am excited and positive. looking forward to personnel discussions in the future!

Broncoman13
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
You can easily look at Harbaugh's success and attribute a lot of that to Rex Ryan and Cam Cameron.

Lex, age has nothing to do with it. Here's what it comes down to... when he's successful they'll all be smiling on picture day.

eddie mac
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Folks I cant believe Bellicheat would let Capers walk unless it's a promotion and if Nolan is the DC then it wont be one.

I'll hold fire on the celebrations until Bowlen announces these hires.

Killericon
01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Sweet Awesome Baby Jesus!

lex
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Folks I cant believe Bellicheat would let Capers walk unless it's a promotion and if Nolan is the DC then it wont be one.

Maybe he has a soft spot for Denver returning to the 3-4 since he cut his teeth in the 3-4 under Collier back in the 70s.

TheDave
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM

But Nolan was in 03 & 04 where they only allowed 17 points a game wich was 6th in the nfl... If he can pull that off in a couple of years we will be a SERIUOS contender.

spdirty
01-11-2009, 10:38 PM
hell yeah!

wolf754life
01-11-2009, 10:39 PM
capers wants to be part of turning something around, thats how you build a reputation....

nfl coaches like rebuilding things, they like saying they were part of turning the 30th ranked defense into the 15th ranked defense in one year.

it looks good on a resume.

capers gets no love in new england, its all billy bellichek

Killericon
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Okay, I changed my mind. I want a 3-4 if it's under Nolan.

Hercules Rockefeller
If both Nolan and Capers get hired, I think that puts to rest that Bowlen is doing this on the cheap. As former HCs, those guys aren't going to come cheap.

UberBroncoMan
BAM!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Nolan

Changed for the present and all to enjoy :)!

Broncoman13
Here's something for you guys to chew on. I know just about EVERYONE wants to see a DT or LB or Safety drafted in the first round... but the Broncos will have different plans. This will be an economic decision, one based on putting the enthusiasm back into the Broncos fan base. They will make plenty of moves in the offseason and address as many of the vacancies as possible. Dansby, Suggs, and Farrior, and Scott will all be candidates for a new scheme. I would expect to see Willie McGinnest brought in for a player/coach type role. For the line, Chris Canty and Shaun Cody would both be good fits. I would expect one of them to be here when the season begins. So now for the "put butts in the seats move"...

The Broncos will draft Beanie Wells in the first round. I don't really want it to be that way (though I wouldn't be totally bummed either) but Pat Bowlen is SCARED SH!TLESS that without some "buzz" he's going to lose in this tough economy. McDaniels, Nolan, Capers, all of them brought in to try and create some buzz and excitement in Broncoland. If he doesn't have a warm and fuzzy come April, it will be an offensive playmaker that generates that quick buzz for his franchise.

theAPAOps5
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I think I just had a nocturnal emission except I am totally awake.

wolf754life
01-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's something for you guys to chew on. I know just about EVERYONE wants to see a DT or LB or Safety drafted in the first round... but the Broncos will have different plans. This will be an economic decision, one based on putting the enthusiasm back into the Broncos fan base. They will make plenty of moves in the offseason and address as many of the vacancies as possible. Dansby, Suggs, and Farrior, and Scott will all be candidates for a new scheme. I would expect to see Willie McGinnest brought in for a player/coach type role. For the line, Chris Canty and Shaun Cody would both be good fits. I would expect one of them to be here when the season begins. So now for the "put butts in the seats move"...

The Broncos will draft Beanie Wells in the first round. I don't really want it to be that way (though I wouldn't be totally bummed either) but Pat Bowlen is SCARED SH!TLESS that without some "buzz" he's going to lose in this tough economy. McDaniels, Nolan, Capers, all of them brought in to try and create some buzz and excitement in Broncoland. If he doesn't have a warm and fuzzy come April, it will be an offensive playmaker that generates that quick buzz for his franchise.

oskie, your underestimating denver fans, they understand football, they understand we have to have a d to compete, with nolan and capers on board they will come, they will understand the D is a rebuild, and they will hang on every draft pick and every free agent, the town is excited to move forward.

bowlen will sell out every game next year, bank on it!

baja
This looks good. It really does.So 10,000 rants from you about Shanahan being fired and 5 minutes after the announcement this is your reaction. LOL

spdirty
cool.

SouthStndJunkie
If both Nolan and Capers get hired, I think that puts to rest that Bowlen is doing this on the cheap. As former HCs, those guys aren't going to come cheap.

I was thinking the same thing.

summerdenver
01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
The only drawback i see is that it might take 2 drafts + a Nose Tackle for us to completely transform to 3-4. I am not sure that Moss and Elvis can make transition to olb and other than Marcus (may be) transitioning to DE, i don't think we have people for 3-4.

We will probably have no place for WW III and DJ might take 2 years before he can transition to ILB.

lex
01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
But Nolan was in 03 & 04 where they only allowed 17 points a game wich was 6th in the nfl... If he can pull that off in a couple of years we will be a SERIUOS contender.

Well they were great in 2000, great in 03 and 04 and theyre also great this year...all with different DCs. What does that tell you? Dont get me wrong. I like Nolan. He's not as good as Spags/McDermott but he is ok.

lex
01-11-2009, 10:48 PM
The only drawback i see is that it might take 2 drafts + a Nose Tackle for us to completely transform to 3-4. I am not sure that Moss and Elvis can make transition to olb and other than Marcus (may be) transitioning to DE, i don't think we have people for 3-4.

We will probably have no place for WW III and DJ might take 2 years before he can transition to ILB.

Ron Brace in the 2nd. Raji will be too much of a reach at 12 and wont be there at 38.

fdf
01-11-2009, 10:49 PM

A defense that can stop drives in the fourth quarter and produce turnovers will fill the stadium.

montrose
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM

I think Capers and Bellicheat are friends and I find it hard to believe that at this point in his career, Capers would sign much more than 1-year deals. I have evidence to support that, just a hunch.

summerdenver
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Ron Brace in the 2nd. Raji will be too much of a reach at 12 and wont be there at 38.

I like Raji but its always a ? if they can be successfully transsition to NFL. If we can find a NT, we should be able to put together pieces for 3-4 in a couple of years.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
A defense that can stop drives in the fourth quarter and produce turnovers will fill the stadium.

Along with bringing the noise back. Fans (hopefully) shouldn't be making much noise when the offense is out there. Get a defense that forces turnovers and gets to the QB consistently, and that place will be loud again.

Broncoman13
01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
oskie, your underestimating denver fans, they understand football, they understand we have to have a d to compete, with nolan and capers on board they will come, they will understand the D is a rebuild, and they will hang on every draft pick and every free agent, the town is excited to move forward.

bowlen will sell out every game next year, bank on it!

Bowlen sold out every game next year about 10 years ago. Why you aren't hearing is how many season tickets are being returned and how quickly the list is dwindling. What used to be 10-12 years of waiting can be had NOW! And, if you think for one moment that firing Mike Shanahan was not a reaction to these concerns, you're kidding yourself. The staff he is putting together speaks volumes to his concerns. Pat Bowlen isn't like most owners in the NFL. This is his "hobby" or "toy" that he inherited. This is his main business. You can count on one hand the other businesses that he is involved in. If the Broncos lose money he doesn't have anything else to fall back on. Firing Mike Shanahan was a much tougher and larger decision than drafting a RB in 2009 would be.

eddie mac
01-11-2009, 10:53 PM

He signed an extension some time ago Oskie and wont be going anywhere.

Broncoman13
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
So 10,000 rants from you about Shanahan being fired and 5 minutes after the announcement this is your reaction. LOL

Beats him being like Lex again!

Bronx33
01-11-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm sort of jealous.

Sorry bob but 3 inches isn't average.

Broncoman13
01-11-2009, 11:00 PM

That would certainly go a long way to keeping my butt in the stadium and giving up the $300+ per weekend... How many games did you go to this year though? Even when we were hot and running away with the AFC the stands were more empty than normal. This isn't just an on field production thing, this is an economic crisis coupled with a team that is just mediocre. Bronco fans are outstanding! As good as any in the NFL, but given the situation many are just staying home. The Vikings for crying out loud were barely able to sell out their stadium for a playoff game! The Cards are going to host the NFC Championship game... I hope to dear god they don't have problems selling those tickets, but if they do it will be obvious why!

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 11:01 PM
What a sweet ass staff.

Killericon
01-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm happier about Nolan than I am about McDaniels.

Popps
01-11-2009, 11:05 PM
This keeps getting better.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I like Nolan. He did some interesting stuff in SF. They had a 3-4/4-3 Hybrid to take advantage of Patrick Willis. And by all accounts, Capers is an excellent defensive coach.

Paladin
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
I expect the hybrid D.........

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Welcome back to Denver Mike Nolan.

East
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Lets hope that the Rocky Mountain news is wrong. They report that two Broncos players say that Dom Capers is the new DC.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/capers-likely-be-broncos-defensive-coordinator/?partner=RSS

However, I don't trust the 08' roster over Adam Schefter. In fact, I don't trust anyone over Adam Schefter... maybe Jesus... not even my mother.

SlipperyPete
01-12-2009, 12:12 AM
I literally cannot believe there is a thread of people celebrating this hire. Do you have any idea of Nolan's history as defensive coordinator? Check the numbers. Until he went to Baltimore, his teams constantly trended DOWNWARDS.

His one claim to fame was taking over a defense that was already built when he got there. And this just in: we ain't got the Ravens defense.

East
01-12-2009, 12:18 AM
SlipperyPete, are you saying you would rather have Dom Capers? The engineer of the 1-15 Dolphins defense with Jason Taylor?

If you had to pick one of them you have to say Nolan is the better.

Popps
01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
I literally cannot believe there is a thread of people celebrating this hire. Do you have any idea of Nolan's history as defensive coordinator? Check the numbers. Until he went to Baltimore, his teams constantly trended DOWNWARDS.

His one claim to fame was taking over a defense that was already built when he got there. And this just in: we ain't got the Ravens defense.

No one wins without talent, and he showed he could win WITH talent. What else do you want? Get the guy some talent and he'll make good use of it.

Add Capers (potentially) and some good position hiring and there's plenty of reason for optimism.

Add the fact that he's got head coaching experience and seems generally respected and this is a no-brainer.

But, yes... we need talent and lots. We need that no matter who is coaching.

SlipperyPete
01-12-2009, 12:48 AM
No one wins without talent, and he showed he could win WITH talent. What else do you want?

The slightest indication that he can run a good defense without HOF guys like Lewis, Reed, etc. on the field?

The Baltimore defense was great before Nolan got there. The Baltimore defense was great while Nolan was there. The Baltimore defense has been great since Nolan left there.

Mike Nolan had nothing to do with the Baltimore defense being a great unit. The 49'ers learned that lesson the hard way, why are we repeating their mistakes?

SlipperyPete
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
SlipperyPete, are you saying you would rather have Dom Capers? The engineer of the 1-15 Dolphins defense with Jason Taylor?

If you had to pick one of them you have to say Nolan is the better.

Stabbing myself in the thigh is better than stabbing myself in the face, but all things considered, I'd rather not stab myself.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 12:59 AM
I was thinking the same thing.
I said that all along ... the idea that Bowlen was penny-pinching was utter nonsense.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2009, 01:04 AM

You're right. Hate to rain on everybody's unabashed gushing, but Nolan's defenses have failed everywhere but in Baltimore. In fact, his 1999 Redskins defense was dead last in the NFL. Dan Snyder put a 5-gallon drum of vanilla ice cream on his desk to make a point....

So get ready for more of the same - "read-and-react" - and put on the shelf your dreams of an attacking, blitzing defense.

i4jelway7
01-12-2009, 04:20 AM

speak for yourself I've never doubted Schefter when it comes to Broncos news

Lestat
01-12-2009, 05:43 AM
like i said, sometimes a HC is only as good as his assistants. and mcdaniels is making sure he doesn't fail. Nolan as DC plus capers on staff. he must have really been obsessed with turning around the D. i love it!

snowspot66
01-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Slowick or Capers and Nolan?

Upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

El Guapo
01-12-2009, 07:14 AM
very big upgrade. Im a happy Broncos fan. . . (as much as I can be, I suppose)

barryr
01-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm very happy with Nolan. His DC abilities helped land him a head coaching job.

Killericon
01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I tried joining a 49ers site to post a thread asking about Nolan, but I need activation or somesuch. Has anyone paid attention to the 49ers in the past couple of seasons?

alkemical
01-12-2009, 07:21 AM

How is this any different than the corporate world half of the time? Some people just get over it and understand what they can do. It's not all about ego. Nolan may be taking this job, in order to get another coaching shot - but if he gets the D turned around, he's earned it IMO.

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 07:30 AM
So 10,000 rants from you about Shanahan being fired and 5 minutes after the announcement this is your reaction. LOL

First of all, "rants" is substantially inaccurate. I don't agree with the Mike Shanahan termination. That's no secret. I even assembled a 10 page post with a concise and factual background for why I think it was dumb. Does that mean I should hold it against the new regime? I WOULD prefer Mike were still here, but he's not, and I do like the staff they seem to have assembled.

I'm not sure if a person who flees their country is the type to understand that type of mind-set, however. :wiggle: :wiggle:

alkemical
01-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I like Nolan. He did some interesting stuff in SF. They had a 3-4/4-3 Hybrid to take advantage of Patrick Willis. And by all accounts, Capers is an excellent defensive coach.

See, i think the hybrid 3-/4/-3 type D is the future.

I've watched balt and NE run variations of it, and really Jim Johnson's D in philly is IMO, a pioneer with how he runs kamikazzee blitzes, and overloads, and even how the DE's will shade into coverage at times.

I'm excited to see what can happen in Denver.

PS - Can we go back to orange jersey's and make this complete. Lets give the broncos a rebirth.

Steve Sewell
01-12-2009, 07:35 AM
He's the one who converted the Ravens (arguably the greatest of all time in 2000) to a 3-4. Under his coaching, the Ravens defense ranked high and both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed won DPOY awards. He was also DC with the Giants, Redskins and Jets during his career.

Not only that but Nolan appears to be a great leader from everything I've seen of him.

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 07:35 AM

I've watched balt and NE run variations of it, and really Jim Johnson's D in philly is IMO, a pioneer with how he runs kamikazzee blitzes, and overloads, and even how the DE's will shade into coverage at times.

PS - Can we go back to orange jersey's and make this complete. Lets give the broncos a rebirth.

Cosign.

Steve Sewell
01-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Maybe he has a soft spot for Denver returning to the 3-4 since he cut his teeth in the 3-4 under Collier back in the 70s.

LOL @ Belichick having a soft spot.

montrose
01-12-2009, 07:56 AM

Dick LeBeau's about twice Mike Tomlin's age - that seems to be working out pretty well.

The slightest indication that he can run a good defense without HOF guys like Lewis, Reed, etc. on the field?

The Baltimore defense was great before Nolan got there. The Baltimore defense was great while Nolan was there. The Baltimore defense has been great since Nolan left there.

Mike Nolan had nothing to do with the Baltimore defense being a great unit. The 49'ers learned that lesson the hard way, why are we repeating their mistakes?

You make plenty of good points Pete but in fairness to Nolan, he did a lot of changing to the Ravens defense that won them the 2000 Super Bowl. He did have talent no question, but he took a 4-3 unit and converted it to a 3-4 which can't be easy. The 2000 Defense featured Michael McCrary, Rob Burnett, Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Jamie Sharper, Peter Boulware, Rod Woodson, Kim Herring and Duane Starks. Nolan converted the unit to a 3-4, with Marques Douglas, Kelly Gregg, Terrell Suggs, Anthony Weaver Adalius Thomas, Edgerton Hartwell, Ed Reed, Will Demps and Gary Baxter. The only holdovers between both units were Ray Lewis and Chris McAlister. Since that time, their personnel has changed again with Haloti Ngata, Trevor Pryce, Justin Bannan, Jarrett Johnson, Bart Scott, Samari Rolle, Phillip Buchanon and Jim Leonard. Good players have come and gone through that defense and Nolan certainly had a lot of talent to work with - but transitioning a team from the 4-3 to the 3-4 while maintaining a high level of success deserves recognition.

I apologize for knowing a lot about the Ravens but I spent most of my life living in B-More.

Cosign.

Third. At least wear them more than 2 games per season.

Drek
01-12-2009, 08:00 AM

Mike Nolan was putting together some real good things in SF defensively, he just saddled himself with a "franchise" QB who wasn't even a legitimate first rounder and he was a very hands off HC with the offense. End result his team couldn't stay on the field, the D got worn down as a result, and they largely fell apart as a result.

I REALLY like what he did with the front seven. If its true that we're bringing in both Nolan and Capers then I'm very amped for that. Nolan has shown some strong front seven coaching skills and Capers has always been one of the best secondary coaches in the league. Together I'd expect them to produce vast improvements in our defense.

If all this is true then I get why the Broncos FO was so infatuated with McDaniels. The prospective coaches were supposed to present what they wanted for assistants, and if J-Mac sat down and said "I'm going to keep Bates, let him help me call the offense, Dennison and Turner will keep their jobs and power our running game. I got my boy Dom ready to roll over here and Pat, pull some strings and bring back Mike Nolan to be DC. We gonna build this **** right." Thats a damn hard sell to resist.

Capers and Nolan have been standout defensive coaches, just neither one of them can handle the offensive side of the ball or front office decisions well at all. Both were given those duties in their HC stints, but the scope of their job here will be entirely within each's wheelhouse.

mwill07
01-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Nolans record as DC in terms of league rankings:
(red is team rankings prior to Nolan taking over)

pts yards
1992 NYG 26 18
1993 NYG 1 5
1994 NYG 11 8
1995 NYG 16 17
1996 NYG 10 14
1996 WAS 13 28
1997 WAS 8 16
1998 WAS 28 24
1999 WAS 24 30
1999 NYJ 9 21
2000 NYJ 13 10
2001 BAL 4 2
2002 BAL 19 22
2003 BAL 6 3
2004 BAL 6 6

In 1992 w/ Reeves, he did a pretty good job getting the Giants D on track, and kept it at least mediocre.

With the Redskins, he didn't do a great job, but it doesn't look like they were a great team before he got there. I don't know the background on that team, curious what caused the D to get so bad.

In baltimore - he obviously inherited some great players. They had an off season in 2002 - looking at it, Ray Lewis played 5 games. I don't know what else happened to the downfall.

Like most coaches, Nolan has had some good years and some bad years. It's not all rosy. He wasn't able to turn around the 49ers, I think his marriage to Alex Smith had a lot to do with that.

montrose
01-12-2009, 08:35 AM
In baltimore - he obviously inherited some great players. They had an off season in 2002 - looking at it, Ray Lewis played 5 games. I don't know what else happened to the downfall.

Ray's injury along with transitioning to the 3-4 took a year.

Drek
01-12-2009, 09:10 AM

pts yards
1992 NYG 26 18
1993 NYG 1 5
1994 NYG 11 8
1995 NYG 16 17
1996 NYG 10 14
1996 WAS 13 28
1997 WAS 8 16
1998 WAS 28 24
1999 WAS 24 30
1999 NYJ 9 21
2000 NYJ 13 10
2001 BAL 4 2
2002 BAL 19 22
2003 BAL 6 3
2004 BAL 6 6

In 1992 w/ Reeves, he did a pretty good job getting the Giants D on track, and kept it at least mediocre.

With the Redskins, he didn't do a great job, but it doesn't look like they were a great team before he got there. I don't know the background on that team, curious what caused the D to get so bad.

Like most coaches, Nolan has had some good years and some bad years. It's not all rosy. He wasn't able to turn around the 49ers, I think his marriage to Alex Smith had a lot to do with that.
In Washington he had to deal with Dan Snyder constantly screwing with everything. I don't imagine that was conducive to success.

And with the 49ers yeah, he basically hitched his wagon to Alex Smith and let the offense rot on him. But he sure did develop the hell out of Patrick Willis, that guy is a stud.

He's got a lot of failings as a HC or GM, but he knows the 3-4, linebackers in that system in particular and solid with the DL. If we seriously are teaming him with Capers then I really like where our defense is headed.

fontaine
01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Ray's injury along with transitioning to the 3-4 took a year.

Didn't the Goose retire that year and Adams went away as well. I remember because Ray Ray openly b*tched about not being protected by the big bad OL.

Matt Lepsis in particular laid a vicious beat down on Ray that year (or was it next year?). But in fairness to them they developed a no name nobody in Kelly Gregg into a powerhouse NT in very little time for a guy who had no pedigree.

fontaine
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
In Washington he had to deal with Dan Snyder constantly screwing with everything. I don't imagine that was conducive to success.

And with the 49ers yeah, he basically hitched his wagon to Alex Smith and let the offense rot on him. But he sure did develop the hell out of Patrick Willis, that guy is a stud.

He's got a lot of failings as a HC or GM, but he knows the 3-4, linebackers in that system in particular and solid with the DL. If we seriously are teaming him with Capers then I really like where our defense is headed.

It's too bad we couldn't get something like this going with Shanahan a few years ago when he went dicking around with Jim Bates. Another reason why giving the HC too much power is a wrong idea when guys like Nolan/Capers were probably a threat to Mike's authority here.

illbroncsfn
01-12-2009, 09:34 AM
It's too bad we couldn't get something like this going with Shanahan a few years ago when he went dicking around with Jim Bates. Another reason why giving the HC too much power is a wrong idea when guys like Nolan/Capers were probably a threat to Mike's authority here.

Can't disagree w/you, but I know most of us loved the Bates hire at the time- just didn't work out....

no-pseudo-fan
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I want to see actual ink on Nolan and Capers before I get too excited, but our defense is a new DC's wet dream. It's a defense that can not get worse, so if the team finishes 20th next year in defense we will be happy as hell.

Popcorn Sutton
01-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Here you go:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DEN

The National Football Post confirms that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan has officially been hired as the Broncos defensive coordinator. Reports of Nolan's hiring surfaced early Monday morning, but other sources had Dom Capers as the favorite to land the position. The Broncos will likely switch to a 3-4 defense, which Nolan has run for the majority of his career.

Source: National Football Post

Pseudofool
01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Why do people think both Capers and Nolan are coming on board?

Popcorn Sutton
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Not sure how that one came about... but... it looks like it's Nolan for DC.

no-pseudo-fan
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Good deal. Now we have a coach with Head Coaching experience. Now.....let's getter done.

LonghornBronco
01-12-2009, 10:05 AM
some posters claimed it was reported that both Nolan and Capers where coming... I think there is a link on the 1st or second page...

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM

pts yards
1992 NYG 26 18
1993 NYG 1 5
1994 NYG 11 8
1995 NYG 16 17
1996 NYG 10 14
1996 WAS 13 28
1997 WAS 8 16
1998 WAS 28 24
1999 WAS 24 30
1999 NYJ 9 21
2000 NYJ 13 10
2001 BAL 4 2
2002 BAL 19 22
2003 BAL 6 3
2004 BAL 6 6

Good post. People forget that some of his misfires were a result of personnel decisions. It will be important for the new GM(s) to get the right talent and for McDaniels to offer good input on that end.

Nolan is a good coach and a good defensive coordinator. This idea that all his teams get worse under him is essentially bogus.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 11:02 AM

It was reported in some papers yesterday. I have to go find it.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Today's Boston Globe is reporting the Capers part.

chaz
01-12-2009, 11:12 AM

Only 10 guys on defense? I'm probably just confused by all the /'s and -'s

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM

He's talking about a hybrid defense that sometimes goes 3-4, and sometimes goes 4-3.

Not a literal 3-4-3 defense.

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 11:34 AM

He means a hybrid between the 3-4 and the 4-3

alkemical
01-12-2009, 11:34 AM

I didn't know how to make it a neat picture combining the 3/4 and 4/3

A hybrid of those two i think is the future of D in this league.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I didn't know how to make it a neat picture combining the 3/4 and 4/3

A hybrid of those two i think is the future of D in this league.

Isn't this what Slowik was trying this past season? Hope he gets better results.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Isn't this what Slowik was trying this past season? Hope he gets better results.

Big difference Slowdick was out of desperation.

alkemical
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Well, you need the right people to run it. But BAL and NE have run similar things.

I'd like a team that can play both schemes "well". I think being able to match up different fronts OR play a scheme that bothers an opponent could really be a good match.

I might be pushing mentally maybe beyond some guy's ability - but a guy like adalius thomas played DE & LB, Suggs the same, etc - and big fat DT's aren't a horrible thing to have on a DL.

it's possible, but you need the right group of players to buy into it, and are also physically a good size to match up to different roles.

pink_feet
01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Hmm...not sure why everyone is excited about Nolan as the DC. He isn't brining Lewis or Reed from Baltimore with him....not sure if i like the hire.

Here are some Nolan stats for everyone:

Mike Nolan as Defensive Coordinator*:
(*ranking based on yards per game, so there may be a 1 or 2 spot variation compared to the standard "total yards" ranking)

1993: NY Giants (5th ranked defense)
1994: NY Giants (11th ranked defense)
1995: NY Giants (17th ranked defense)
1996: NY Giants (14th ranked defense)

Not a good trend.

1997: Washingon (16th ranked defense)
1998: Washington (24th ranked defense)
1999: Washington (30th ranked defense)

Ouch.

2000: NY Jets (10th ranked defense)

Not much to say here, since he was only there a year. But...

2001: Baltimore (receivers' coach)

...I'm not sure how positive a reflection it is on his job that he had to take a demotion to receivers coach, rather than catch on as a DC somewhere else.

Then Marvin Lewis took off and Nolan lucked into the easiest job ever, taking over a D that had been at the top of the league over the previous three seasons. Although it was a little rough that first year.

2002: Baltimore (22nd ranked defense)
2003: Baltimore (3rd ranked defense)
2004: Baltimore (6th ranked defense)

Then he went to the 49'ers. Their defenses, BTW:

2005: 49'ers (32nd ranked defense)
2006: 49'ers (26th ranked defense)
2007: 49'ers (25th ranked defense)

Well, it'd be hard to decline from 32nd.

In 2008 they finished 13th, but since Nolan was fired in October, I'm not sure how much credit he gets for that. Prior to his firing, they gave up 40+ points once, 30+ points three times, and 29 points once, so I'm assuming it wasn't looking too good on the defensive side of things.

He gets a lot of hype, but is he really that good?

Br0nc0Buster
01-12-2009, 11:43 AM

The difference is Slowick is a dumbass.
I am not sold on Nolan to be the savior of the defense, but he at least is competent.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, you need the right people to run it. But BAL and NE have run similar things.

I'd like a team that can play both schemes "well". I think being able to match up different fronts OR play a scheme that bothers an opponent could really be a good match.

I might be pushing mentally maybe beyond some guy's ability - but a guy like adalius thomas played DE & LB, Suggs the same, etc - and big fat DT's aren't a horrible thing to have on a DL.

it's possible, but you need the right group of players to buy into it, and are also physically a good size to match up to different roles.

If this is what the scheme might be, I hope they at least commit to it for the long haul.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 11:49 AM
When units are no longer ranked by yards given up and instead focus on points given up, I'll be a happy camper.

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
When units are no longer ranked by yards given up and instead focus on points given up, I'll be a happy camper.

Turnovers and short fields have more to do with scoring than anything else. It's why the game is so symbiotic.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Turnovers and short fields have more to do with scoring than anything else. It's why the game is so symbiotic.

Eh, fantasy leagues do a good enough job filtering the majority of that out. Not to mention awarding points for turnovers forced, points scored by the defense off of turnovers, and sacks. I've convinced myself. Time to look at how his units have performed according to yahoo's default scoring system for defensive units.

montrose
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Offensively as well. As far as I'm concerned, we finished 16th in the league on offense this year.

nickademus
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I like this hire for two reasons;
1. This should mean we are committing to Scheme on D. Hopefully we can develop and draft players who will come in and excell (much like our Running game)
2. Will I now be able to get that rebok suit for game days?

lostknight
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Big difference Slowdick was out of desperation.

I don't think it was desperation - it not working caused the desperation. Small, but important difference.

fontaine
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Can't disagree w/you, but I know most of us loved the Bates hire at the time- just didn't work out....

I didn't like it and I liked it even less the second he tried to get that big DT and I think it was Dan Wilkinson who we traded for but it turned out he was on a boat on his retirement, and I absolutely hated it when we traded Warren to the evil empire.

That was the offseason. It went downhill after that.

Rausch 2.0
01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I do not like Denber having Nolan!

I will not like it on a boat,
I will not like it with a goat,
I will not like it in a tree,
unless it falls on Herm quickly...

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I didn't like it and I liked it even less the second he tried to get that big DT and I think it was Dan Wilkinson who we traded for but it turned out he was on a boat on his retirement, and I absolutely hated it when we traded Warren to the evil empire.

That was the offseason. It went downhill after that.

Don't forget trading a sixth round pick for Jimmy Kennedy who was released before the season started. Awesome.:thumbs:

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't think it was desperation - it not working caused the desperation. Small, but important difference.

Yeah because moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in season was just for the heck of it. Please, it was because of desperation.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Don't forget trading a sixth round pick for Jimmy Kennedy who was released before the season started. Awesome.:thumbs:

He actually looked pretty good too. Kinda shocked when he was cut.

chaz
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
He's talking about a hybrid defense that sometimes goes 3-4, and sometimes goes 4-3.

Not a literal 3-4-3 defense.

haha thanks that makes more sense...damn my soccer formations.

gyldenlove
01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Yes! the 3½-3½ defense, I am assuming of course that we take the right side of Jarvis Moss and the left side of Boss Bailey to make our ½-½ player, it will be Boss Moss.

barryr
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Going from a 4-3 to a 3-4, switching is a great idea. Only thing is you need the kind of players to run it effectively of course.

nickademus
01-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Going from a 4-3 to a 3-4, switching is a great idea. Only thing is you need the kind of players to run it effectively of course.

Thank you captain obvious!!! :thumbsup:

TheDave
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Sorry to be a lazy ass and not read this entire thread... But, has this been confirmed yet?

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry to be a lazy ass and not read this entire thread... But, has this been confirmed yet?

Depends on who you read and who you talk to. But I say its as close as can be.

backup qb
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM

I don't believe so. In fact, on one of the 7000 Mcdaniels threads, it says we may interview Crennell.

HooptyHoops
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Yup, its confirmed...and I really like the hire!!

TheDave
01-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Depends on who you read and who you talk to. But I say its as close as can be.

I don't believe so. In fact, on one of the 7000 Mcdaniels threads, it says we may interview Crennell.

Yup, its confirmed...and I really like the hire!!

Well that clears things up...;D

2KBack
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Well that clears things up...;D

I think people are going with the Schefler is never wrong gut feeling.

I personally hope he is wrong

Inkana7
01-12-2009, 02:27 PM
We'll see at McDaniels'/Bowlen's press conference. Hopefully someone has the intelligence to ask who the DC/Defensive staff will be.

lostknight
01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Adam just said on The Ride Home that it's a done deal.

Bronx33
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Adam just said on The Ride Home that it's a done deal.

Here it is again (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/DENVER-CO/KRFX-FM/1-12%20adam%20scheffter.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=DENVER-CO&NG_FORMAT=classicrock&SITE_ID=978&STATION_ID=KRFX-FM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KRFX&PCAST_CAT=Comedy&PCAST_TITLE=The_New,_Improved_Masters_Podcast)

fdf
01-14-2009, 09:56 AM
That would certainly go a long way to keeping my butt in the stadium and giving up the $300+ per weekend... How many games did you go to this year though? Even when we were hot and running away with the AFC the stands were more empty than normal. This isn't just an on field production thing, this is an economic crisis coupled with a team that is just mediocre. Bronco fans are outstanding! As good as any in the NFL, but given the situation many are just staying home. The Vikings for crying out loud were barely able to sell out their stadium for a playoff game! The Cards are going to host the NFC Championship game... I hope to dear god they don't have problems selling those tickets, but if they do it will be obvious why!

Went to 3. The last one Buffalo. Stands were half empty by the third quarter--of course it was REALLY cold. Does that make Shanahan a victim of Global Warming?

Paladin
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I am sure we all will have differing opinions, and I am not on Woody's bandwagon, but I do have to agree with him that this hire is a bit shaky. Nolan did some things okay, but I would have preferred a different guy, maybe Capers or someone else. I just don't know if Nolan has the oomph to really get too far with the D. I am mindful that success is not as much the Coordinator as the coaches working with him, but it does seem a stretch to believe Nolan will be excellent in this position.

I am also concerned that shifting to the 3-4 means a wasted year for the Broncos. Don't want that. I want a winning season next year.

So many changes really is confusing.....

Drek
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I am sure we all will have differing opinions, and I am not on Woody's bandwagon, but I do have to agree with him that this hire is a bit shaky. Nolan did some things okay, but I would have preferred a different guy, maybe Capers or someone else. I just don't know if Nolan has the oomph to really get too far with the D. I am mindful that success is not as much the Coordinator as the coaches working with him, but it does seem a stretch to believe Nolan will be excellent in this position.

I am also concerned that shifting to the 3-4 means a wasted year for the Broncos. Don't want that. I want a winning season next year.

So many changes really is confusing.....

Yeah, because there is so much continuity to lose defensively from changing schemes. :rolleyes:

Nolan has a very good resume and if you go down the case by case examples of what he's done at each stop its even more impressive. Best of all he's developed good linebackers at every stop. There isn't much bad about bringing him in if you ask me.

Chris
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Give us that resume then Drek

fdf
01-29-2009, 06:41 PM

I went to three games this season. And the Buffalo game had half empty stands by the third quarter. Of course it was 5 degrees out.

But I remember the Orange Crush. Nothing gets a crowd whipped up like three and out over and over. I mean by the other team :)