PDA

View Full Version : So we fired a HOF coach for someone still in his diapers... F*******

atomicbloke
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
While I could understand the logic behind Shanny's firing.... and the need for new blood.... I just did not see Bowlen capable of completely losing his mind......

This guy is younger than some of our recent players even....

Didn't we learn from the Crap-nnel, Mangeni-ass and Weis disasters... or the Lane Kiffin saga in Oakland....

Now we are the laughing stock of the AFC West......

TonyR
01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
You wore diapers when you were 32?

lex
01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, it sucks. Thanks Pat, you drunk ****!!!

frerottenextelway
01-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Pittman is older than him. :D

causing trouble....

footstepsfrom#27
01-11-2009, 08:04 PM
You hire the man not his birth certificate. Tomlin is 34 and he's doing OK. Is it a concern? Yeah. But let's see what he does before bashing the choice.

Drek
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
While I could understand the logic behind Shanny's firing.... and the need for new blood.... I just did not see Bowlen capable of completely losing his mind......

Didn't we learn from the Crap-nnel, Mangeni-ass and Weis disasters... or the Lane Kiffin saga in Oakland....

Crennel was actually turning the Browns around until Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards decided to phone this year in.

Mangini had two winning seasons in 3 years, despite starting with a horrible team.

Weiss hasn't done much special, though he's had excellent recruiting classes, but then Notre Dame isn't really committed to being an elite football program anymore.

theAPAOps5
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh God you drama queens are killing me.

Taco John
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
You hire the man not his birth certificate. Tomlin is 34 and he's doing OK. Is it a concern? Yeah. But let's see what he does before bashing the choice.

Tomlin was born in 1972, making him 37, not 34.

Sodak
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Ageist...

Sassy
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
PAGING PATSWIN: We need you to calm us down...or light another fire! LOL!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I love threads based on intelligence

TonyR
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Crennel was actually turning the Browns around until Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards decided to phone this year in.

Mangini had two winning seasons in 3 years, despite starting with a horrible team.

Weiss hasn't done much special, though he's had excellent recruiting classes, but then Notre Dame isn't really committed to being an elite football program anymore.

Yeah, I think the "Belichick's assistants have all failed" thing is a bit overdone. It's all circumstantial, plus McDaniels isn't these guys.

Rock Chalk
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Crennel got lucky last year with that QB (Anderson?) playing above his talent level but everything else about that team sucked.

Mangini did do a decent job but hardly anything worthy of note. Specifically, no playoffs and his team choked down the stretch.

Weiss sucks.

Jens1893
01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Tomlin was 34 when he got the job.

Jens1893
01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Crennel got lucky last year with that QB (Anderson?) playing above his talent level but everything else about that team sucked.

Mangini did do a decent job but hardly anything worthy of note. Specifically, no playoffs and his team choked down the stretch.

Weiss sucks.

Mangini did make the playoffs in his first year.

theAPAOps5
01-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Mangini did make the playoffs in his first year.

Shhh don't use logic with the Drama Queens it ruins the fun.

dbfan4life
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Shhh don't use logic with the Drama Queens it ruins the fun.

So exactly what is the logic in hiring this guy because, for the life of me, I just can't see it.

Jason in LA
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah, um, I think Shanahan is a better coach then this guy. Bowlen is just dumb.

theAPAOps5
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
So exactly what is the logic in hiring this guy because, for the life of me, I just can't see it.

Because he will actually bring balance back to Denver.

telluride
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Um, our HOF coach has been 24-24 in the last three years. How much worse can it get?

no-pseudo-fan
01-11-2009, 08:54 PM
HoF Coach. We need new blood in here. He has new ideas, and maybe that is what we need.

broncosteven
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Reeves was only 36 or 37 when he was hired.

SoCalBronco
01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Reeves was only 36 or 37 when he was hired.

I wish Gene Kranz was on the search committee instead of Ellis. I'd have alot more confidence in their decisions.

Aftermath
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM

your an idiot. nuff said

spdirty
01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Um, our HOF coach has been 24-24 in the last three years. How much worse can it get?

youll see.

broncosteven
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM

At least we didn't hire Wanny or Dick Juron.

atomicbloke
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM

I am not bashing the Shanny firing.... but I just don't see the logic in going for a diaper-boy coach.... 32 is waay too young for HC responsibilities... it is a complete gamble....

Bowlen never appeared the gambling kind of cowboy.... always felt he was the cold calculating shrewed businessman who thoght things through and didn't just roll the dice and hope for the best.... guess we had him figured all wrong.....

tsiguy96
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
quit your bitching until we find out if the team is any good. what the hell is wrong with you people

Drek
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Weiss sucks.

Crennel took a team completely devoid of talent, with worthless picks clogging the roster, and was actually turning it around. They weren't great but they were improving.

Mangini did make the playoffs. He would've done it again this year if Brett Favre didn't get pissed that it wasn't all about him and decided to go rouge on Mangini doing whatever he felt like with the ball.

An important factor about all this too though? Both of those guys were from the defensive side of the ball, where Belicheck has always exercised heavy control. Weis is the only offensive guy to leave, he never had the success McDaniels had, and he's currently in college with a team that just doesn't rank talent wise compared to the top teams.

You can't use that (largely unsubstantiated) theory of Belicheck disciples not succeeding with McDaniels because he's a totally unique offshoot himself.

Jens1893
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Crennel took a team completely devoid of talent, with worthless picks clogging the roster, and was actually turning it around. They weren't great but they were improving.

Mangini did make the playoffs. He would've done it again this year if Brett Favre didn't get pissed that it wasn't all about him and decided to go rouge on Mangini doing whatever he felt like with the ball.

An important factor about all this too though? Both of those guys were from the defensive side of the ball, where Belicheck has always exercised heavy control. Weis is the only offensive guy to leave, he never had the success McDaniels had, and he's currently in college with a team that just doesn't rank talent wise compared to the top teams.

You can't use that (largely unsubstantiated) theory of Belicheck disciples not succeeding with McDaniels because he's a totally unique offshoot himself.

Did I just imagine the 3 straight top 10 classes for ND? I think Weisī recruits simply havenīt panned out the way they were supposed to be.

I do agree about McDaniels tho. The Pats never really put that many points on the board until McDaniels took over as OC and in his 3 years as an OC there the Pats have ranked 7th, 1st and 8th in points and 11th, 1st and 5th in yards. Weis had them ranked in the top 10 in both categories in one of his 5 years as an OC there and in only one of his 3 seasons as an OC with the Jets under Parcells.

Drek
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Did I just imagine the 3 straight top 10 classes for ND? I think Weisī recruits simply havenīt panned out the way they were supposed to be.

I do agree about McDaniels tho. The Pats never really put that many points on the board until McDaniels took over as OC and in his 3 years as an OC there the Pats have ranked 7th, 1st and 8th in points and 11th, 1st and 5th in yards. Weis had them ranked in the top 10 in both categories in one of his 5 years as an OC there and in only one of his 3 seasons as an OC with the Jets under Parcells.

Notre Dame had very little talent for Weis to transition with after Quinn and co. left, the gap there is why he's now struggling.

Also ND requires far more academically than most premier collegiate football programs. They can't just focus on football and the team can't fill positions of need with great athletes who don't rank highly on the national stage because of poor academics, that is especially problematic with JUCO transfers who're one of the best ways to patch up when your big recruits fails to pan out.

enjolras
01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I am not bashing the Shanny firing.... but I just don't see the logic in going for a diaper-boy coach.... 32 is waay too young for HC responsibilities... it is a complete gamble....

Bowlen never appeared the gambling kind of cowboy.... always felt he was the cold calculating shrewed businessman who thoght things through and didn't just roll the dice and hope for the best.... guess we had him figured all wrong.....

Good businessmen are by definition gamblers, they just try to rig as much of the system as they possibly can. I'm confident that this was a measured and well researched decision.

Of course it's a gamble. You don't win big by being risk adverse. The safe hire is to regurgitate yet another experienced coach. Of course the track record for that is pretty piss poor.

I'm confident that McDaniels was the most impressive candidate, and will be an excellent coach for this team.

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Can we save the meltdowns til after we have seen the product a few years. We have no idea what Josh or anyone else available has true HC ability but, lets hope for the best. I'm excited about fresh ideas coming to Denver. How can this D get any worse then it already is right now. Only way we can go is up.

tsiguy96
01-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Can we save the meltdowns til after we have seen the product a few years. We have no idea what Josh or anyone else available has true HC ability but, lets hope for the best. I'm excited about fresh ideas coming to Denver. How can this D get any worse then it already is right now. Only way we can go is up.

no one here uses that common sense. gotta freak out whenever.

lex
01-11-2009, 09:57 PM

He doesnt have a few years.

broncofan2438
01-11-2009, 09:58 PM
wow, crazy

chawknz
01-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Cry more

Taco John
01-11-2009, 10:02 PM

I understand the way you feel, but the bottom line is like it or not, he's our head coach. The only thing you can do is get behind him and hope he can deliver. In the long run, it could end up being a great "against all odds" story. No point in thinking about what else it could end up being at this point. The situation is what it is, and McDaniels is a Bronco now.

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
He doesnt have a few years.

Bowlen will give him a few years though.

lex
01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I understand the way you feel, but the bottom line is like it or not, he's our head coach. The only thing you can do is get behind him and hope he can deliver. In the long run, it could end up being a great "against all odds" story. No point in thinking about what else it could end up being at this point. The situation is what it is, and McDaniels is a Bronco now.

Or you can just go numb to it for as long as you have to wait it out. I usually go to a game once a year even though I live in Chicago. That wont be happening now. The last time I was in this situation was when the Cubs were waiting out Dusty Bakers contract...only this is worse since Im more into football. Wow, does this ever suck.

lex
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Bowlen will give him a few years though.

I dont think the fans will. There are too many Shanahan loyalists and on top of that Bowlen went totally against the grain on this one. In the fan poll, 70% of the fans wanted Spags. Only 6% wanted McDaniels. So Bowlen went on a limb with this guy, which is kind of surprising considering the fan reaction at the San Diego game a couple of years ago. Youd think he'd be hip to the idea that the fans are restless. But now he has replaced a legend coach with someone only 6% of the fans wanted. Basically, it could get really ugly. I thought it would be ugly if Slowik was brought back. Im not sure this is any better.

AZBroncomaniac
01-11-2009, 10:31 PM

Wow, you are amazing. You can judge an owner by a hire he made without any results or inside information on the matter? You, my friend, are a genius!