PDA

View Full Version : Now that Mcdaniels is the HC, who should be the DC?

MVP-06
01-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Since we know were going with Mcdaniels, who should the DC be?

Thoughts, ideas?

dbfan4life
01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
He sure as hell better have a plan.

frerottenextelway
01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Spags.

:D

lex
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
It doesnt matter. Pat only cares about making Jay happy which means getting a pass happy coach that Jay can play XBox with. Jesus this sucks!

theAPAOps5
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
It doesnt matter. Pat only cares about making Jay happy which means getting a pass happy coach that Jay can play XBox with. Jesus this sucks!

YES THIS AWESOME LEX IS FREAKING OUT! Come on buddy go over the edge full bore!

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM

The Pats threw the the ball 51% of the time this season. That is hardly "pass happy." In fact, it is the about as balanced as you can be.

MVP-06
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Was Mcdaniels there when Romeo worked with the Patriots D?

(Jae)
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Mort just said McDaniels/Bowlen would like the Eagles Secondary coach. Forgot his name.

TonyR
01-11-2009, 07:48 PM
I say stick with the young thing and hire Sean McDermott from the Eagles. I like the Jim Johnson defense.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/CoachBios.asp?coach_id=10

theAPAOps5

I find it funny that you say this. If he didn't have a plan that Bowlen liked he wouldn't have hired him.

lex
The Pats threw the the ball 51% of the time this season. That is hardly "pass happy." In fact, it is the about as balanced as you can be.

Thats only because he had a complete novice at QB that he had to protect. Plus, when he does run, its that mickey mouse stuff out of the shot gun. Wow does this ever suck. Nice job, Pat, you f*cker!!!

footstepsfrom#27
Mort just said McDaniels/Bowlen would like the Eagles Secondary coach. Forgot his name.
Sean McDermott, but he's under contract another year according to Mortenson but why should that matter if he's offered the DC job since it's a move up?

Yes to the idea of someone from Philly coming in here though.

TonyR

YES! See my post above.

dbfan4life

Can't be a good thing. We don't even recognize the guys name.

Sassy
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
God, all these threads suck.

MVP-06
I say stick with the young thing and hire Sean McDermott from the Eagles. I like the Jim Johnson defense.

Just read that in the other thread, they said he has another year on his contract. Can't we still hire him since DC is an upgrade over secondary coach?

BroncoBuff
Since we know were going with Mcdaniels, who should the DC be?
Raheem Morris
Dom Capers
Rod Marinelli

Eldorado
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM

That sure didn't work last time, did it?

BroncoInferno
Thats only because he had a complete novice at QB that he had to protect.

How the hell do you know that?

Plus, when he does run, its that mickey mouse stuff out of the shot gun. Wow does this ever suck. Nice job, Pat, you ****er!!!

I really don't see how you can argue with the results McDaniels has gotten. A record setting offense in 2007 and then takes a QB who had not started since high school and still has a solid offense.

theAPAOps5
Sean McDermott, but he's under contract another year according to Mortenson but why should that matter if he's offered the DC job since it's a move up?

Yes to the idea of someone from Philly coming in here though.

Exactly, he is allowed to take a position that is a promotion. SO his contract doesn't matter.

This is a win/win. They grab a Philly disciple and bring in a coach to help Bates if he keeps him. Which I bet they do.

theAPAOps5
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Just read that in the other thread, they said he has another year on his contract. Can't we still hire him since DC is an upgrade over secondary coach?

YES!

TJax
Romeo?

dbfan4life
I find it funny that you say this. If he didn't have a plan that Bowlen liked he wouldn't have hired him.

Just seems like a very risky hire. That's all.

Hallside
01-11-2009, 07:52 PM

That's an exciting resume.

MVP-06
01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
YES!

then I like this move, bring those Philly blitzes to Denver baby!!!!

TonyR
01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Raheem Morris
Dom Capers
Rod Marinelli

Marinelli is no longer an option. Capers runs the 3-4. Morris is already a DC. Sean McDermott is the man.

theAPAOps5
01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Just seems like a very risky hire. That's all.

You are right its a leap. But I also know that Bowlen did his homework and knows whats at stake. So I trust he made a very educated and informed decision. He wouldn't hire some guy who didn't have a good plan. Thats what makes him a good owner and makes the Cleveland owner piss poor.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Spags.

:D

Agreed.

broncosteven
01-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Thats only because he had a complete novice at QB that he had to protect. Plus, when he does run, its that mickey mouse stuff out of the shot gun. Wow does this ever suck. Nice job, Pat, you ****er!!!

The novice went 11-5.

DC is more urgent than HC.

Drek
01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
He wouldn't have gotten the job if he didn't. The FO required all candidates to bring proposals for assistant coach hires to their interviews.

Can't be a good thing. We don't even recognize the guys name.

I do and he'd be an excellent option. He and Mike Waufle were the two DCs I'd figured Spagnuolo would've considered, would've been happy with either.

I'd be surprised if they didn't look to go with the 3-4 though, McDaniels started out as a defensive guy with a 3-4 team, figured that would've been his comfort zone.

Rock Chalk
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM

The Pats also didnt have their star QB this season.

Last season with their star QB, the pats passed the ball a ridiculous amount of the time.

TonyR
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM

Last season with their star QB, the pats passed the ball a ridiculous amount of the time.

McDaniels is the HC, NOT the OC.

BroncoInferno
01-11-2009, 08:04 PM

Which makes McDaniels work with the offense and a QB who had not started since high school even more remarkable than the record setting offense he guided in 2007.

Drek
01-11-2009, 08:24 PM

New England Offensive Statistics Under McDaniels

2008:
5th in offensive yardage per game.
8th in points per game.

2007:
1st in offensive yardage per game (by 41 yards a game).
1st in points per game (by more than 8 points over #2).

2006:
11th in offensive yardage per game.
7th in points per game.

He's been around the top of the league his entire time as OC.

They were also in the top ten in both '05 and '04 when he was QB coach.

In 2003 NE was 17th in yardage, 12th in points per game. 2002? 21st and 10th respectively. 2001? 19th and 6th.

So before McDaneils started working with the offense the Pats didn't make the top half of the league in yardage and averaged in the back half of the top 10 in points scored.

Since he got involved with the offense? Top 10 in both, every year.

Oh, and Tom Brady's career high QB rating was 86.5 until McDaniels became the QB coach. Immediately after he broke 90 and the lowest its been since was 87.9 for one season out of four.

You can make a damn good argument that McDaniels was bringing a LOT to the table in NE. More than Weiss, Crennel, Mangini, etc.

montrose
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I want Capers or Romeo.

TonyR
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I want Capers or Romeo.

Sounds like it's Capers.

mwill07
01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
New England Offensive Statistics Under McDaniels

2008:
5th in offensive yardage per game.
8th in points per game.

2007:
1st in offensive yardage per game (by 41 yards a game).
1st in points per game (by more than 8 points over #2).

2006:
11th in offensive yardage per game.
7th in points per game.

He's been around the top of the league his entire time as OC.

They were also in the top ten in both '05 and '04 when he was QB coach.

In 2003 NE was 17th in yardage, 12th in points per game. 2002? 21st and 10th respectively. 2001? 19th and 6th.

So before McDaneils started working with the offense the Pats didn't make the top half of the league in yardage and averaged in the back half of the top 10 in points scored.

Since he got involved with the offense? Top 10 in both, every year.

Oh, and Tom Brady's career high QB rating was 86.5 until McDaniels became the QB coach. Immediately after he broke 90 and the lowest its been since was 87.9 for one season out of four.

You can make a damn good argument that McDaniels was bringing a LOT to the table in NE. More than Weiss, Crennel, Mangini, etc.

I wonder if there were any other changes that could have improved Brady's numbers? Did NE pick up any new WR's in 2007?

bombquixote
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM

the pats seem to do okay with it. ::)

Drek
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I wonder if there were any other changes that could have improved Brady's numbers? Did NE pick up any new WR's in 2007?

top ten in '04, '05, and just missed it ('11th in yardage) in '06.

Three seasons where McDaniels was involved with the offense, two of them calling the plays, best receiver in all of them was Troy Brown.

He's got more cred than pretty much any other option out there. Just because he's young doesn't mean he doesn't kick ass.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Three seasons where McDaniels was involved with the offense, two of them calling the plays, best receiver in all of them was Troy Brown.

He's got more cred than pretty much any other option out there. Just because he's young doesn't mean he doesn't kick ass.

Plus, Marshall and Royal aren't slouches. Scheffler and Graham are better than Ben Watson. Stokley is better than Gaffney.

mwill07
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM

yeah, the Pat's O has been pretty enviable for a while - they have the personnel to make that all work. We have had a good O too, and I think our pieces are just about as good, as Inkana7 says.

IIRC, Bates based the 2008 Den O on the 2007 Pats, so hopefully the O can keep on clicking.

Drek
01-11-2009, 09:20 PM
yeah, the Pat's O has been pretty enviable for a while - they have the personnel to make that all work. We have had a good O too, and I think our pieces are just about as good, as Inkana7 says.

IIRC, Bates based the 2008 Den O on the 2007 Pats, so hopefully the O can keep on clicking.

Our pieces are better.

The Pats OL worked because they were all solid and worked cohesively together, but even their best OL, Matt Light, has never been as dominant as Clady was in year one. Harris and Kuper, both in their early 20's, had comparable seasons to the best RT and RG the Pats have had of late as well.

Scheffler is comparable to Ben Watson, in fact I'd say he's better at actually making the big downfield reception.

Our #1 WR, Marshall, is still in his prime unlike Moss.

Our #2 is very comparable to Welker and is just finishing his rookie season.

We actually still have Daniel Graham, who was a valuable red zone weapon and a big part of why NE always ranked higher in scoring than in yardage, sometimes by a big margin. We'll finally use him correctly.

Kevin Faulk v. Peyton Hillis. I don't know, who do you like? Hilarious!

The best RB they ever had was Corey Dillon. Think we can find a better option than that?

We've got the talent and then some. Just need to put it all together.

SoCalBronco
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Just trying to think how the 3-4 front would work with Capers:

OLBs: Dumervil, Williams
ILBs: Woodyard, Larsen or draft choice

or

OLBs: Dumervil, Moss (or draft choice)
ILBs: Williams, Woodyard

DE: Thomas and Peterson
DT: B.J. Raji at 12

Sodak
01-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Sounds like it's Capers.

Sounds like Capers? Where'd you hear that?

eddie mac
01-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Just trying to think how the 3-4 front would work with Capers:

OLBs: Dumervil, Williams
ILBs: Woodyard, Larsen or draft choice

or

OLBs: Dumervil, Moss (or draft choice)
ILBs: Williams, Woodyard

DE: Thomas and Peterson
DT: B.J. Raji at 12

I'm thinking more

Tyson Jackson Rd1 trade down-Haynesworth FA-Crowder