PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels Named New HC!!

Pages : 1 [2]

Bronx33
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Man some of you guys need to give the guy a shot before you shoot him down.

Bronx33
01-11-2009, 10:17 PM
No two year plan. The only way to justify this pick is to turn the defense around in the first year. Pat chose to go with the side of the ball that we needed least and now the burden is at McDaniels feet to fix a defense. If he doesnt, he should be booed out of town.

The team was two years off with shanahan at the helm.

lex
01-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Man some of you guys need to give the guy a shot before you shoot him down.

Just because Pat does what he does, it doesnt mean that everyone has to blindly accept it. Many of us have been Broncos fans long before Blue-loving Bowlen became owner and many of us will be fans long after he is gone. Life is a revolving door and that requires us to wait this out, unfortunately.

Sir Mawn
01-11-2009, 10:19 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/12/mike-nolan-bound-for-denver-too/

Nolan?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Bronx33
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Just because Pat does what he does, it doesnt mean that everyone has to blindly accept it. Many of us have been Broncos fans long before Blue-loving Bowlen became owner and many of us will be fans long after he is gone. Life is a revolving door and that requires us to wait this out, unfortunately.

You just don't like change, well sunshine it's time to get rid of those parachute pants and move on.

DBBBSBS
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM
neither high, nor low.... will comment after giving him 2 yrs

Play2win
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
DENIAL

If we were only so lucky that LEX was on a River In Egypt... ;D

lex
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
You just don't like change, well sunshine it's time to get rid of those parachute pants and move on.

Parachute pants?

Orange_Beard
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I am speechless.

Guess they wanted another Irishman?

Bronx33
01-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Parachute pants?

A fad in the 90s MC hammer

http://a1.vox.com/6a00c2251c1ba8f21900d4141bb3a93c7f-500pi

baja
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/12/mike-nolan-bound-for-denver-too/

Nolan?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

ow that the Broncos have agreed to hire Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as head coach, he has begun to piece together his staff.
McDaniels’ most significant hire will be his defensive coordinator. And Denver’s new defensive coordinator is expected to be former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, a Broncos source confirmed Sunday night.
Nolan interviewed for the Packers’ job last week, but he will take the Broncos’ job, returning him to the city where he once coached under Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips.

That's better than 3 - 4 and Dom Capers

Play2win
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
It's funny how Broncos fans are unhappy, yet they don't realize they can't do nothing about it. You can either be optimistic and look for positives out of the situation, in which you CANNOT CONTROL... and you'll find much more positive energy around here.

Or, you can be negative like the average person... and fill this board up will negative bull****.

There is a saying-- You should not worry about things you cannot control... :)

Ambiguous
01-11-2009, 11:13 PM
There is a saying-- You should not worry about things you cannot control... :)

Yeah but I can't control being pissed off about them.

Play2win
01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah but I can't control being pissed off about them.

Then don't worry about it... ;D

Ambiguous
01-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Then don't worry about it... ;D

Not worried, just waiting for the draft or the 09 season to start. Then I can weigh the pros and cons of throwing my TV out the window.

yerner
01-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Sweet. The broncos got the new Charlie Weis!! Wait....

cutthemdown
01-11-2009, 11:48 PM
This is the right choice IMO. It keeps Broncos on track for a super high powered offense. Honestly this offense with Cutlers arm, the oline being really good at the tackle spots, 2 good wr, 2 good TE, is only a consistent running game away from being a juggernaut.

Mike Nolan has a good track record as a defensive guy and IMO Bowlen will go out of his way to buy him some talent.

Bowlen knows the fans will be antsy and IMO will open the checkbook a bit.

Also we have some extra draft picks this yr so once again we should have a lot of youth making the team.

I'm very excited this is a really good hire people.

cutthemdown
01-11-2009, 11:49 PM

IMO the Pats offense changed significantly after Wies left.

cutthemdown
01-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm relieved. Going with one of those DCs could've spelled unprecedented disaster for us.

I agree totally. I'm not surprised many on the board are upset because most of them are usually wrong.

This is a great hire, exactly who I wanted.

Our offense needs to get better just like our defense does. IMO McDaniels very creative and will really be good for Cutler.

brncs_fan
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
I honestly have not followed more than 3-5 minutes of this whole process so I really can't say too much about the hire.

What I can say is that unproven rookie coaches this year did really well with teams that were less than stellar last year (Smith, Harbaugh). I think we definately need to get some pieces on defense and the stud RB that we have been sorely missing and we are ready to compete.

ghwk
01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
32 yrs old is just too young. That's just the unavoidable truth. Nobody at that age has the gravitas to run an NFL team. It's not possible. If he adds Dom Caper to the mix we have all the elements of a disaster. Fasten you seat belts, boys. It's going to be a bumpy night.

hey I've been told I just REEK of gravitas but Bowlen didn't hire me!

Play2win
01-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Not worried, just waiting for the draft or the 09 season to start. Then I can weigh the pros and cons of throwing my TV out the window.

I mean, don't worry about getting pissed off... ;D

OBF1
01-12-2009, 12:35 AM
McDaniels was my second choice, I was on the Offense if great and our _efense sucks bandwagon and wanted a defensive minded HC to right the ship. I will sit back and enjoy the ride, though it might get a bit bumpy before it gets better. As I see it, Our Offense will be the same and in all honesty, How could our defense be any worse than it was this past year???

The stat that I can not get out of my head is something I saw today watching the playoffs....

The top 3 defensive teams in the NFL this season are Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Philadelphia, whom are all still playing football. To win in todays NFL, you need a solid defense.

Kid A
01-12-2009, 12:38 AM

McDaniels isn't half the man Weis is. Literally.

Bronco Yoda
01-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Young MacDaniels now runs our team
Ee i ee i o

And on this team we still need a DC
Ee i ee i o

Without a Safety here
And a DE there
Here a scrub, there a scrub
Everywhere a scrub, scrub

Young MacDaniels best turn things around
Ee i ee i o

OBF1
01-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Well Lex wins hands down on the melt down of the day contest

UberBroncoMan
01-12-2009, 03:56 AM
What's going to be mighty interesting is that we play New England next year.

watermock
01-12-2009, 03:59 AM
McDaniels, 32, replaces Mike Shanahan, who was fired Dec. 30 after 14 years on the job. The team is expected to announce the deal on Monday.
Broncos owner Pat Bowlen traveled to Boston Thursday for a second interview with McDaniels, who, according to sources, was one of two finalists along with Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

McDaniels becomes the third member of Belichick's coaching staff to be named an NFL head coach in recent years, following Romeo Crennel, who took over Cleveland in 2005 and was fired after this past season, and Eric Mangini, who went to the Jets in 2006. Mangini was also fired after this season and has since been named to replace Crennel in Cleveland.

i4jelway7
01-12-2009, 04:33 AM
1 playoff win in 10 yrs. and 3 straight yrs. with no playoffs, and you're citing McDaniels the reason why we'll be mediocre?

yeah well the Broncos mediocrity with shanny was 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 but now we are going to be 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, 7-9.. like every other mediocre nfl team

In other words w/ Shanny our mediocrity was being above .500 and possibly making the playoffs

w/ Mcdonald's as the HC welcome to below .500 mediocrity ... but on the bright side we will be drafting in the top 15 every year.. :thumbs:

fontaine
01-12-2009, 05:12 AM
It's funny reading some of the doomsday posts around here complaining about this guys age, experience, etc. What's next? His head is too small for a Broncos helmet?

As if anyone here actually has the slightest idea what it takes to make it as a head coach in the NFL.

When guys like freakin' Herm Edwards and Norv Turner have more playoff wins than Shanahan in the last 7-8 years then it's time to admit there's more to this coaching stuff than I know!

So get on board or piss off.
lol

lex
01-12-2009, 05:49 AM
It's funny reading some of the doomsday posts around here complaining about this guys age, experience, etc. What's next? His head is too small for a Broncos helmet?

As if anyone here actually has the slightest idea what it takes to make it as a head coach in the NFL.

When guys like freakin' Herm Edwards and Norv Turner have more playoff wins than Shanahan in the last 7-8 years then it's time to admit there's more to this coaching stuff than I know!

So get on board or piss off.
lol

Lets see. Prior to this, Pat has hired two head coaches in Phillips and Shanahan. He had to fire Phillips after only 2 years. Pats batting .500 on coaches. Thats a coin flip. Can you flip a coin?

Killericon
01-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Lets see. Prior to this, Pat has hired two head coaches in Phillips and Shanahan. He had to fire Phillips after only 2 years. Pats batting .500 on coaches. Thats a coin flip. Can you flip a coin?

:rofl:

Even in elementary school math, you need at least 3 examples to form a pattern.

fontaine
01-12-2009, 06:09 AM

You didn't have to respond. We already know you're in the corner crying and b*tching about this hiring.

Well, I guess you gotta do what you do best.

lex
01-12-2009, 06:11 AM

Right. I wonder how long Pat will let this drag out since he doesnt like going through the trouble of fixing problems.

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Young MacDaniels now runs our team
Ee i ee i o

And on this team we still need a DC
Ee i ee i o

Without a Safety here
And a DE there
Here a scrub, there a scrub
Everywhere a scrub, scrub

Young MacDaniels best turn things around
Ee i ee i o

:spit:

Broncoman13
01-12-2009, 06:28 AM

He hasn't got that far in school yet... back off man!

Lex is the mane's village idiot.

Rohirrim
01-12-2009, 06:50 AM
I just want to know one thing about McDaniels.

Does he know how to use email?

Killericon
01-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Right. I wonder how long Pat will let this drag out since he doesnt like going through the trouble of fixing problems.

Hey, man, I'm as pissed off about Shanahan getting canned as anyone, but don't you think that you should maybe let him make a decision before you decide he's a complete ****up? Maybe let him sign someone or something?

Traveler
01-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Not sure how I feel about this hiring. Let's see what his staff looks like and wait to see how the teams looks after a year.

Not enthused with either Capers or Nolan. Not the attacking style of defense I was hoping for, but since we haven't heard from McDaniels as to what type of defense he will employ, again I'll be in wait and see mode.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 07:01 AM
yeah well the Broncos mediocrity with shanny was 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 but now we are going to be 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, 7-9.. like every other mediocre nfl team

In other words w/ Shanny our mediocrity was being above .500 and possibly making the playoffs

w/ Mcdonald's as the HC welcome to below .500 mediocrity ... but on the bright side we will be drafting in the top 15 every year.. :thumbs:

Wrong, and I am bookmarking all these ludicrous statements. I think the guy has a solid plan. Feel free to bookmark me too. But you won't use them.

Killericon
01-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Things like "will" and "going to" are being thrown around a lot here. It's weird.

crawdad
01-12-2009, 07:23 AM
32 yrs old is just too young. That's just the unavoidable truth. Nobody at that age has the gravitas to run an NFL team. It's not possible. If he adds Dom Caper to the mix we have all the elements of a disaster. Fasten you seat belts, boys. It's going to be a bumpy night.

I have to agree with you here! This kid is still wet behind the ears, has two years or less of experience in a responsible position. We are doom for mediocrity!

snowspot66
01-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Good Lord. The world we know of is here entirely because of people who weren't even close to 40 when they burst on the scene and dragged us all along. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Google, Myspace, Napster, and those are just the biggest names I could think of in the last 10 seconds.

This isn't a multinational billion dollar company. It's a football team. If he's the right man he can handle it whether he's 20 or 60. If he's the wrong guy he'll fail no matter how much experience he has. I would have rather had Spagnuolo but McDaniels is the hottest young coordinator for a reason. What he did with New England wasn't just greatness but historical. Even Spagnuolo can't claim to have a historic defense to his credit. Give the guy a chance. He obviously has the smarts. We'll see if it translates to the head coach position but can we please drop the stupid he's too young and not experienced enough argument? Experienced people fail too.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Making a change was long due, now we'll see if the right choices have been made to lead the franchise.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 07:55 AM
I just puked up my $50 outback meal.... what a waste..

Unless you ate both your dinner and your wife's, I'm still trying to figure out how one can spend $50 on dinner at The Outback.

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 07:56 AM
I have to agree with you here! This kid is still wet behind the ears, has two years or less of experience in a responsible position. We are doom for mediocrity!

I'll agree that he certainly doesn't have nearly the qualifications as Mike, but he certainly seems to be an innovative guy, and we can afford to be cautiously optimistic and give him a chance, yes?

SoDak Bronco
01-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I want this to work. Lets go McDaniels, we have a new sheriff in town!!!

Hotrod
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I love this move...now give me Capers and build a 3-4 :pray:

EmpireOrange
01-12-2009, 08:28 AM
This is disappointing. What is it with these NE cast offs that GMs, ADs, and Owners like? Every single one of them have been failures. This freaking stinks. Not a good choice, Patty, not a good choice at all. I give him 2 years and he's gone.

bronco militia
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/DREW011209.gif

KCStud
01-12-2009, 08:40 AM
wow a 32 year old offensive genius to replace an already good offensive mastermind?

This doesn't make much sense. Ratty made your offense very good, especially with good draft picks in Cutler, Clady, Royal, Scheffler, and Marshall.

Why not just get a standout defensive coordinator?

I do think McDaniels will bring the best out of Cutler, but the defense still remains a serious question mark for you guys

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 08:41 AM
No it doesn't. Not when you see who the DC and his staff will be.

Pseudofool
01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
While I understand the cynicism in regards to his youth; everyone seems to be dismissing the fact the Broncos went into the hire thinking defense--consider how impressive McDaniels must have been for the Broncos to redress their approach.

Of course, the cynic might suggest that the defensive-minded coaches were simply not impressive at all, and that's what led to this hire. But given what we've heard about Morris and Frazier--I think McDaniels simply blew the Broncos brass away.

fontaine
01-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Seriously,

Kavika Pittman, Leon Lett, Daryl Gardener, Dale Carter, Toviessi, Willie Middlebust, Luther Ellis, Simeon Rice, Raylee Johnson, etc etc.

The new coaches would have to actually work their a$$es off with overtime to be worse than Shanny the GM on defense.

Merlin
01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
This is potentially an INCREDIBLY idiotic move. The belicheat tree has been horrendous, and this kid has too short a resume to have proven to be any better than those other geniuses. On top of that, the O's coaching (with the exception of giving JC a little too much free reign), is by far the best part of this team, in fact it is loaded by any NFL standard, and they bring this kid.

If you dump one of the greatest coaches on offence, who has assembled the cast of players and coaches on O Denver has, then you better be thinking of fixing the D, Denver's Cluster F#$k.

Instead he hires a kid with ABSOLUTELY no background on D, and who has no resume to show he knows anything about fixing the D. This is a total joke!

I can't believe we went for the stupid belicheat tree. NOT A SINGLE SUCCESS out of three coaches, and we go for the one with the least credentials of the bunch. This should be fun.

Paladin
01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Speaking of cynics.......

Pseudofool
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Instead he hires a kid with ABSOLUTELY no background on DActually he does, but I'm sure you've done your research so you knew that.

I can't believe we went for the stupid belicheat tree. NOT A SINGLE SUCCESS out of three coaches, and we go for the one with the least credentials of the bunch. This should be fun.That's some shallow analysis. Next your going to tell me McDaniels knows Bill Ayers too.

Rabb
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
do people fail to realize that Shanny was not let go because of his coaching in full, but because of the GM role?

Let's just pretend that the Offensive mind is a wash (and no I am not saying that McD is Shanny...so save it) as some people are saying with the "well why get rid of Mike for another Offensive mind" argument

The DC is instantly and drastically upgraded with Nolan and Capers over Slowick, who Mike the GM was going to keep around again

I also will guarantee that the drafts will now have a whole hell of a lot more of a veteran and meaningful opinion given to whoever fills the GM responsibilities than one person making all of the calls

yes we have a nice Offense from good drafts in the last couple years but we also have a Defense that counteracts it so much that the mastermind is gone

great moves in my opinion, finally we can let all of the coaches coach and let someone else worry primarily about personnel

NOLA Bronco
01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Young coaches bring a lot of energy. I know here in NOLA, Sean Payton made a hige impact in that area. I think John Harbaugh is having a similar impact on Baltimore.

With that said, none of the candidates really made me say "we need him". I thought if we could get Cowher, that would be nice, but not really an upgrade on Shanny the coach.

I wish we could have just fired Shanny the GM.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
This is potentially an INCREDIBLY idiotic move. The belicheat tree has been horrendous, and this kid has too short a resume to have proven to be any better than those other geniuses. On top of that, the O's coaching (with the exception of giving JC a little too much free reign), is by far the best part of this team, in fact it is loaded by any NFL standard, and they bring this kid.

If you dump one of the greatest coaches on offence, who has assembled the cast of players and coaches on O Denver has, then you better be thinking of fixing the D, Denver's Cluster F#$k.

Instead he hires a kid with ABSOLUTELY no background on D, and who has no resume to show he knows anything about fixing the D. This is a total joke!

I can't believe we went for the stupid belicheat tree. NOT A SINGLE SUCCESS out of three coaches, and we go for the one with the least credentials of the bunch. This should be fun.

Oh good another overreacting poster. I will make sure to bookmark this one too.

Requiem
01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Absolutely thrilled to see McDaniels here, along with Nolan and the likely 3-4. This team should be fun to watch. Love the off-season.

crowebomber
01-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Absolutely thrilled to see McDaniels here, along with Nolan and the likely 3-4. This team should be fun to watch. Love the off-season.

I love it so far. I'm interested to see who the OC is. I assume McDaniels will handpick that one.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I love it so far. I'm interested to see who the OC is. I assume McDaniels will handpick that one.

no reason to think Bates and Dennison are going anywhere.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM

First of all, three coaches is hardly enough sample to judge the "tree" by. It's possible the system there does skew success, but that doesn't mean this guy can't succeed in an organization where Bowlen has put together a great front office. I would point out that both of Bowlen's other intended long term hires both came from systems where they spun off highly successful coaches...HOFer's in fact. Reeves, who was also the youngest coach in the NFL at 37 when he was hired, had only 4 years as an OC with Dallas. Shanny worked under Walsh and then Reeves...another coach with Superbowls in his resume. Both moves landed us in Superbowls as well.

Second, he worked his first three seasons in NE as a defensive assistant, so you're wrong on him having no exposure to that side of the ball. By all reports, he's an accomplilshed thinker on both sides, which is what we need more than a guy who can only focus on one aspect of the game.

Finally...he won't be the one designing the defense anyway, but it's probably a cinch he has more respect for the defensive game than Shanny did...

crowebomber
01-12-2009, 09:41 AM
no reason to think Bates and Dennison are going anywhere.

I'd like to see that but I would think the HC has the word. And Bowlen said that only the front office jobs were safe.

KCStud
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Don't see McDaniels working for you guys. No NE coach has had success away from the womb, and I don't expect the youngest coach with little experience to have much success either.

The reason why these coaches were so good at NE was because of their management. Pioli is an incredible part of their success, and look at what Dimitroff did to Atlanta after he left NE?

Those coaches got their success from great decision making skills from the front office. That's why they were so successful in NE.

Hotrod
01-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Don't see McDaniels working for you guys. No NE coach has had success away from the womb, and I don't expect the youngest coach with little experience to have much success either.

The reason why these coaches were so good at NE was because of their management. Pioli is an incredible part of their success, and look at what Dimitroff did to Atlanta after he left NE?

Those coaches got their success from great decision making skills from the front office. That's why they were so successful in NE.

I think the key is the fact we are bringing in known/experianced coachs on the D side of the ball. It will be up to them to fix that mess. Then we retain the core of the O coachs which have had proven sucess here. Keep Goodman at GM.

I'm starting to see this more of a power redistribution of the Broncos staff. Put the right people in positions to upgrade the weakest portions of the team and let them do their work.

If Nolan/Capers/Bates/Goodman/McDaniels can work together as a unit that is a pretty impressive amount of experiance/youth.

Now what to do with the ST's

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 10:07 AM

I love how the front office gets all the credit for the extreme luck they've had in the draft in particular. I don't care how good you are, none of them had a clue what they were getting in Brady and Cassel when they picked them up. The coaches and coaches alone helped make them what they are today.

I can understand why the defensive coaches have been failing after they left. No solid, first and second round draft picks every year like they were dealing with in NE (where the front office clearly had input).

There's no reason to think that McDaniels will fail because those guys failed. He has had to coach up guys with less pedigree and less "first round talent" overall. That is the kind of thing that translates better to new situations.

BroncoInferno
01-12-2009, 10:19 AM

As I have said elsewhere, the lack of success of Crennel, Weiss, and Mangini (though I'd argue he hasn't done too bad) has no bearing or relevance in terms of how McDainels will perform here. The fate of those coaches were/are individual, unique situations that give no special insight into what sort of coach McDaniels will make. Besides, even if it did have relevance, three coaches is hardly a sufficient enough sample to draw any conclusions.

R8R H8R
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
As I have said elsewhere, the lack of success of Crennel, Weiss, and Mangini (though I'd argue he hasn't done too bad) has no bearing or relevance in terms of how McDainels will perform here. The fate of those coaches were/are individual, unique situations that give no special insight into what sort of coach McDaniels will make. Besides, even if it did have relevance, three coaches is hardly a sufficient enough sample to draw any conclusions.

Good point. This argument reminds me of the draft each year. For example, "don't draft a WR early, remember Lelie and Nash, we always draft busts"! Enter Eddie Royal.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 10:49 AM

Of course you don't see it. Its called Denial

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Denail? Is that Italian?

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Denail? Is that Italian?

LOL yeah the boss came in before I could edit!

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Denail? Is that Italian?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJSmmbmJCLw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJSmmbmJCLw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJSmmbmJCLw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJSmmbmJCLw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Best seasonal movie ever?

I say, "yes".

Tom H.
01-12-2009, 11:05 AM

So, the dad is Pat Bowlen. The two kids represent the typical fan and the mother is fear. McDaniels is the lamp.

mwill07
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm warming up to the McDaniels hire. I was in the Spags camp, but after thinking about things, going w/O is probably the right move.

The best we can hope for defensively is mediocre, regardless of coach and that's OK. If we have an equivalent O and a mediocre D in 2009, we would be a SB contender for sure.

However, if the O regressed to mediocre, we would again be 8-8, give or take. No improvement.

An offensive hire allows us to play to our strengths, especially given that Bates modeled the 2008 O after the NE 2007 O in terms of play calling. They should be on the same page, and we should expect the O to continue to play at a high level.

And, as long as McDaniels brings in a new DC and turns more focus on the D, we will be OK.

I'm hopeful that 2008McDaniels = 1995Shanahan, and I think that's what Bowlen was looking for - young, innovative, fresh, without the demand for control.

AbileneBroncoFan
01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
When I heard this I was driving back to school. It made the drive go by quickly. When I arrived and saw that Nolan is going to be hired, I needed new shorts for all intents and purposes. For those of you doubting the McDaniels hire and worried that he is 32, let me hit you up with the most important numbers he is associated with.

3693 yards, 21 TDs, 63.4% completion rate

These are the numbers of a quarterback who had not started a game since high school with McDaniels as his coordinator. McDaniels now inherits the most talented quarterback in the NFL, with a better pass blocking offensive line and younger, faster receivers. Oh my.

With a middle of the road defense next year this team can compete with anyone. The most important thing is whether or not Mike Nolan can take the worst defense in the NFL and turn it into a respectable one in one offseason.

Kaylore
01-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Hilarious! This thread is awesome. Typical Mane. It peaks when Hitler is evoked.

As for the Hiring, I'm cautious but optimistic. How many Patriot coordinators leave their team for another only to flounder while the Patriots keep right on trucking? That alone makes me concerned. However this tells me that the FO is willing to hire the right guy. They say his interview blew the other candidates out of the water. He wasn't the top of their list so he had to fight his way into contention. He must have had the clearest and most defined plan of how to turn the team around. We'll see if it amounts to anything. If they bring in a talented staff for the defense and our FO can draft defensive players like they have offense the past few years, then we could be in good shape.

Like all things we'll have to wait and see, and since we'll be going to a 3-4 the whole thing is going to blow up. Time will tell, but I like that he's impressed the most and they're willing to put aside what others think they should do to hire the "right" guy.

pink_feet
01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Hmm...another Belichick send off?

Am I the only one that is not thrilled with this? Lets look at how coaches have faired coming from Belichicks staff:

-Charlie Weiss, Notre Dame...good first year, not so good next.
-Romeo Crennel, Cleveland - just fired
-Eric Mangini, New York jets - Fired

sigh

Bronco X
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I wanted Spagnuolo and it seems strange he wasn't given a proper interview. I heard he didn't interview well, but what is the expectation given he was still preoccupied with defensive coordinating a playoff team?

But I'll give McDaniel's a fair chance. I am impressed by what he was able to do with Brady going down.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Hmm...another Belichick send off?

Am I the only one that is not thrilled with this? Lets look at how coaches have faired coming from Belichicks staff:

-Charlie Weiss, Notre Dame...good first year, not so good next.
-Romeo Crennel, Cleveland - just fired
-Eric Mangini, New York jets - Fired

sigh

Broken record award winner - you

Look at Weis again. His second year was even better than his first. He was 19-5 at the end of his second year.

pink_feet
01-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Broken record award winner - you

Look at Weis again. His second year was even better than his first. He was 19-5 at the end of his second year.

I win! Awesome!!!

Fine, take Weiss...but Crennel and Mangini :thanku:

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
I win! Awesome!!!

Fine, take Weiss...but Crennel and Mangini :thanku:

Mangini was the scapegoat in NY for Favre's meltdown. He had a decent run in NY otherwise. All the local Jets fans I know wanted him to stay, but the GM and Favre to go. That tells me a lot.

Crennel was a genius last year and a goat this year. A headcase for a #1 WR and injuries at the most important position in the game had a lot to do with this year's record.

Rabb
01-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Mangini was the scapegoat in NY for Favre's meltdown. He had a decent run in NY otherwise. All the local Jets fans I know wanted him to stay, but the GM and Favre to go. That tells me a lot.

Crennel was a genius last year and a goat this year. A headcase for a #1 WR and injuries at the most important position in the game had a lot to do with this year's record.

I agree with you holmes

Traveler
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Not the greatest results from the Belichick coaching tree, but at least he has one.

Willynowei
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I really want to know where this McDaniel's genius comes from. The dude coaches Tom Brady and Randy Moss to the superbowl only to get shut down by a 14 point under dog. Wow, what a freakin accomplishment, we also have no idea if Cassell's success has anything to do with their scheme.

EVERY patriot coach has done horrible since leaving that team. Why would McDaniels be any different?

He's going to have a franchise quarterback, two franchise tackles, two superstar wide receivers and a crap load of draft picks. People don't understand how important of a time this is. This IS our superbowl window, we are the Chargers in 2003 right now. We have a 5-7 year window to put together a superbowl team and we just fired one of the best coaches in NFL history at this very juncture.

We can choke it all away like the Sparklers or we can make something out of our core which just about every NFL team in the league would love to have.

And anyone who thinks this team is in "horrible" condition ought to ask themselves why coaches want to coach here so bad. I can tell you one thing, its not because "Bowlen is a nice guy or a swell owner", it has something to do with the talent on this team.

KCStud
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I love how the front office gets all the credit for the extreme luck they've had in the draft in particular. I don't care how good you are, none of them had a clue what they were getting in Brady and Cassel when they picked them up. The coaches and coaches alone helped make them what they are today.

I can understand why the defensive coaches have been failing after they left. No solid, first and second round draft picks every year like they were dealing with in NE (where the front office clearly had input).

There's no reason to think that McDaniels will fail because those guys failed. He has had to coach up guys with less pedigree and less "first round talent" overall. That is the kind of thing that translates better to new situations.

Let's just say he has a lot to prove. Belicheat and the front office is the main part of their success. They know talent. Dimitroff obviously knows talent. Look at the talent he had in one draft class with Atlanta. Matt Ryan, Curtis Lofton, Sam Baker, and Chevous Jackson.
And Pioli is just as good.

Now that McDaniels has the big boy job, he has to look through and evaluate a lot of talent on his own.
Don't get me wrong, I think that he will help Cutler out big time, but as far as the defense goes, it's still an unknown.

I, along with a few people on the board, think that Spags would have been a better coach for you guys simply because he knows defense and he is just as good of a motivator, but with more experience.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah but its a very few KCDud. Go back to talking about how much you suck over at a chiefs board. We are talking about our team with an owner that WANTS to win.

KCStud
01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah but its a very few KCDud. Go back to talking about how much you suck over at a chiefs board. We are talking about our team with an owner that WANTS to win.

Hey Apieceofsh#t, we do have an owner that wants to win. We don't have an owner that wants a kid that will be a part of the failure tree from NE

theAPAOps5
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey Apieceofsh#t, we do have an owner that wants to win. We don't have an owner that wants a kid that will be a part of the failure tree from NE

Riiiggghhhttttt. Keep repeating that to yourself, KCDud. Meanwhile this "kid" will be embarrassing your team even more in the near future. ****ing douche!

TheReverend
01-12-2009, 02:33 PM
So, the dad is Pat Bowlen. The two kids represent the typical fan and the mother is fear. McDaniels is the lamp.

Can't be.

The dad's sober in that clip.

fontaine
01-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Frankly I could care less if we had a drunken monkey with an eye patch as the HC who threw feces at the defensive players when they sucked.

The bottom line is this folks: You win in the NFL with talent.

The same thing that's plagued our defense for years will the continual salvation of our offense: Genuine honest to goodness talent.

We have it on offense, we don't on Defense. It's as simple as that. You can write this down, the main threat to our offense isn't a new HC or losing Shanahan it's whether we can sign and lock up the contracts of most of the young studs on offense.

It's the same on defense. Nolan, Capers led by Jesus couldn't make this defense better unless we get better talent here, well unless Jesus decides to play MLB for us.

Now where did that drunken monkey go? Oh yeah, here he is, You're Fired Slowik!!!

broncocalijohn
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM

As long as Garcia Bronco has dibs on throwing the computer out the window first!:garcia:

broncocalijohn
01-12-2009, 05:08 PM
When I heard this I was driving back to school. It made the drive go by quickly. When I arrived and saw that Nolan is going to be hired, I needed new shorts for all intents and purposes. For those of you doubting the McDaniels hire and worried that he is 32, let me hit you up with the most important numbers he is associated with.

3693 yards, 21 TDs, 63.4% completion rate

These are the numbers of a quarterback who had not started a game since high school with McDaniels as his coordinator. McDaniels now inherits the most talented quarterback in the NFL, with a better pass blocking offensive line and younger, faster receivers. Oh my.

With a middle of the road defense next year this team can compete with anyone. The most important thing is whether or not Mike Nolan can take the worst defense in the NFL and turn it into a respectable one in one offseason.

The problem with this is that we thought we were at this spot after the Raiders win. "Looks like we will just outscore everyone" was the feeling at the Mane. Could he help improve an already good offense? Of course, but some of these games were blowouts on the defense of side. McDaniel might not be a Defense of guy but the Broncos, as his new toy, are in no need of wasting picks and free agency on the offense side. He now has a big toy to play with and better get help with the part of it that he isnt a master at being. He knows what we need help out and I think it is wise to get the best coach possible to start this thing rolling.

KCStud
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Riiiggghhhttttt. Keep repeating that to yourself, KCDud. Meanwhile this "kid" will be embarrassing your team even more in the near future. ****ing douche!

Oh man this calls for a HOMER ALERT, HOMER ALERT, HOMER ALERT!!!!!:rofl:

Florida_Bronco
01-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh man this calls for a HOMER ALERT, HOMER ALERT, HOMER ALERT!!!!!:rofl:

How did I miss putting you on the ignore list?

Excuse me while I go to rectify that mistake.

Drek
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I really want to know where this McDaniel's genius comes from. The dude coaches Tom Brady and Randy Moss to the superbowl only to get shut down by a 14 point under dog. Wow, what a freakin accomplishment, we also have no idea if Cassell's success has anything to do with their scheme.
So its player talent when he's got Brady but its scheme when he's got Cassell?

FYI, they've been pretty much a top ten team in yardage and points every season he's called the plays, in '05 on. Only two of those years he had Moss, and one of those two he didn't have Brady. Still top ten.

EVERY patriot coach has done horrible since leaving that team. Why would McDaniels be any different?
Mangini went to the playoffs his first year with a team that picked in the top 5 that off-season. He had a winning record this season and had the division all but sewn up until Favre went rouge and dropped a turd in the punch bowl.

And Crennel was some miracle worker who finally was turning the Browns around last year. Now that his young receiving talent went back into their fits and his #1 and #2 QBs got hurt he's a goat. He took a team with zero talent and a lot of bad contracts and was slowly building it back to respectability.

And McDaniels has gotten the most ringing endorsement of all of them with his departure.

He's going to have a franchise quarterback, two franchise tackles, two superstar wide receivers and a crap load of draft picks. People don't understand how important of a time this is. This IS our superbowl window, we are the Chargers in 2003 right now. We have a 5-7 year window to put together a superbowl team and we just fired one of the best coaches in NFL history at this very juncture.
One of the best offensive coaches, but one of the worst GMs and a guy who couldn't see past friendship and loyalty to make the right decisions on his coaching staff.

Shanahan would still be here if he wasn't so damn obsessed with doing things his way even if it means we field lesser talent with worse coaching.

We can choke it all away like the Sparklers or we can make something out of our core which just about every NFL team in the league would love to have.

And anyone who thinks this team is in "horrible" condition ought to ask themselves why coaches want to coach here so bad. I can tell you one thing, its not because "Bowlen is a nice guy or a swell owner", it has something to do with the talent on this team.
We aren't in horrible condition and that is why Shanahan needed to get the hook. He wasn't showing the intensity in all facets of his job to put this team over the top, or even into the playoffs. Time to move on and his replacement is a pretty damn solid choice.

TheReverend
10-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I'll agree that he certainly doesn't have nearly the qualifications as Mike, but he certainly seems to be an innovative guy, and we can afford to be cautiously optimistic and give him a chance, yes?

Holy ****, lol LOL

cutthemdown
10-22-2009, 01:50 PM
There were quite a few people in this thread giving support for Mcdaniels.

TheReverend
10-22-2009, 01:57 PM
There were quite a few people in this thread giving support for Mcdaniels.

Yes there were. It's a good read through, imo

Eldorado
10-22-2009, 02:27 PM

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/tephoops/I_Love_Lamp.jpg

Bronx33
10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow lex you were extra special in this thread...

01-11-2009, 07:43 PM #31
lex
Bowlen Sold Us Out!

No. Lets do this again around week 9. If its not going well, I hope the fans are so hard on him that he resigns. Wow, did Pat **** this up.

This team is rudderless

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

only i4jelway7 out did ya...

cutthemdown
10-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah but Lex is never right.

HAT
10-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah but Lex is never right.

He's very Bob like in that regard....

AbileneBroncoFan
10-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Josh McDaniels=2009 Coach of the Year. Broncos are 6-0, #1 defense in the NFL, the offense is getting better every game, and we have outscored opponents 76-10 in the second half this year. A 1st round bye is looking better every week. This offseason went from being a "disaster" to perhaps the greatest offseason in franchise history.

Man I love the Denver Broncos.