PDA

View Full Version : Article: Giants' loss opens the door for Broncos to talk to Spagnuolo

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Giants' loss opens the door for Broncos to talk to Spagnuolo
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The New York Giants loss on Sunday could be the Denver Broncos’ gain.

The Giants’ defeat in the divisional playoff round means that the team’s defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, is immediately available for a second round of interviews for head-coaching vacancies.

Denver had a brief dinner meeting with Spagnuolo on Jan. 3 and may have been unwilling to put its coaching search on a holding pattern while Spagnuolo continued to coach in the playoffs.

That obstacle is now removed and the Broncos will likely move quickly to speak with one of the NFL’s hottest head-coaching candidates.

The Broncos’ search reached a cooling off period Sunday, specifically to see whether Spagnuolo might be available.

But they’ll have competition for his time.

Spagnuolo according to published reports not only is a finalist for the New York Jets opening but also for the Detroit Lions. St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney is a long-time friend of Spagnuolo and that club also is moving towards trying to interview him this week.

Signs indicate that if Spagnuolo doesn’t quickly set up a follow-up talk with Broncos brass, however, they may move quickly to put a coach in place.

Denver shortened its list of potential hires to New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels (who already had a second interview Thursday), Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier (who’s slated to interview with the Rams on Tuesday) and, on the periphery, Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Raheem Morris.

Spagnuolo politely declined comment as he prepared to exit Giants Stadium after Philadelphia’s 23-11 divisional playoff victory over New York. He cited head coach Tom Coughlin’s policy that only allows assistants to speak once every two weeks, despite the fact the Giants season had ended.

Many of New York’s defensive players after the game hadn’t necessarily come to the conclusion they were playing their final game under Spagnuolo.

“Not at all,” cornerback Corey Webster said. “He has to make the right decision for his family. I just hope the decision makes everyone happy. . . . But having the success he’s had, I think people will be grabbing at him.”

“There are no assumptions,” defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka added. “Whatever happens, it’s definitely well-deserved, if he goes somewhere else and gets a shot as a head coach.”

“We just want the best for him, whether it’s the Denver job or whatever job it is,” defensive end Justin Tuck said.

ENDORSEMENT FROM EX-COHORT

Spagnuolo spent eight seasons with the Eagles working under defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, including three seasons as secondary coach and three more overseeing the linebackers.

Johnson said after Sunday’s game that “it should be” Spagnuolo’s time to become a head coach, especially after the latter’s work with the Giants defense over the last two years.

“He’s a bright young man. He’s paid his dues. He’s a great person. He’s a good football coach,” Johnson maintained. “And when he worked with me for eight, nine years he was a very loyal soldier. He’ll do a great job if he gets that job.”

Johnson added that Spagnuolo’s aggressive approach has been a carryover from his Eagles days.

“He understands the concepts of the game and puts pressure on the quarterback,” Johnson said. “He’s probably more detailed than I ever was. He’s very organized.”

But Johnson also has a high regard for McDaniels, another front-runner for the Denver job.

“There’s another fine young coach. You get either one of those, those are nice coaches. I have a lot of respect for Josh.”

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/giants-loss-opens-door-broncos-talk-spagnuolo/

BroncoBuff
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
It's gonna be McDaniels ... they'll announce this week. :thumbs:

enjolras
01-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm happy either way.

Gcver2ver3
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Spags...

GreatBronco16
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I was so happy with the Giants loss today. I hope Bowlen offers Spags the job, and he accepts it.

But either way, I just want to get it done so we can finally move on.

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I forget who it was but someone interviewed with Rex Ryan today, so we could see a Spagnuolo interview tomorrow.

Paladin
01-11-2009, 06:57 PM
I'll volunteer for the suicide phones.......

Listen, you do realize that not much is going to change with either of these guys, dont you?

Inkana7
01-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Listen, you do realize that not much is going to change with either of these guys, dont you?

Enlighten us, wise one.

BroncoBuff
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Listen, you do realize that not much is going to change with either of these guys, dont you?Wow ... how could you have possibly packed so much wrong into so few words? hmmm...

Rock Chalk
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Wow ... how could you have possibly packed so much wrong into so few words? hmmm...

He's got a point.

Why fire shanahan, nothing changes. Oh wait, we fired the guy that was the cause of nothing changing.

Lots is going to change. If McDaniels becomes HC, then we will become the new Kansas City of the AFC West.

If Spags becomes HC then we will become teh Pittsburgh Steelers of the AFC West.

Im hoping for Spags, as another Belicheat coordinator will just lead to more failure.

broncosteven
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Please shut the door and move on.

This is just another guy whose team has tanked over the last 5 weeks of the season.

We do not have any Justin Tucks here to make him look good.

Pick Six
01-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I wasn't too impressed by what I saw on 3rd down conversions in the playoffs, so far. Spagnuolo may not be the right guy...

DBruleU
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I wasn't too impressed by what I saw on 3rd down conversions in the playoffs, so far. Spagnuolo may not be the right guy...

Do all you genius' make decisions based on one game?

GreatBronco16
01-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Spagnuolo may not be the right guy...

Nobody will be the right guy. The same thing will happen to the head coaches that happened to the QBs after Elway.

Spider
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM

No , not for 3 years , no matter who comes in ....... but I do expect an immediate improvement in defense

MechanicalBull
01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I forget who it was but someone interviewed with Rex Ryan today, so we could see a Spagnuolo interview tomorrow.

The Jets interviewed him today.

footstepsfrom#27
01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
He's got a point.

Why fire shanahan, nothing changes. Oh wait, we fired the guy that was the cause of nothing changing.

Lots is going to change. If McDaniels becomes HC, then we will become the new Kansas City of the AFC West.

If Spags becomes HC then we will become teh Pittsburgh Steelers of the AFC West.

Im hoping for Spags, as another Belicheat coordinator will just lead to more failure.
I was wondering about this too. Can somebody post a list of the Pat coaches who have come out from Belicheat and what they've done? I'm leery of McDaniels because of both his youth and his association with that system. On the other hand, Spags is 49...why has it taken this long for him to get an offer? Will he be here in 10 years?

Since we're ignoring Urbay Meyer who is IMO the best candidate...I'm unsure who should get the job. After watchiing the Ravens D...what's wrong with Ryan? I wonder why he's not on the A list.

Riddi
01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
The Giants lost today because of their offense not defense!!!

BroncoBuff
01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
The Giants lost today because of their offense not defense!!!Definitely, and it happened fast .... one of Eli's first passes was Int-to the 1 yard line. In such a low scoring game, that made all the difference.

lex
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Please shut the door and move on.

This is just another guy whose team has tanked over the last 5 weeks of the season.

We do not have any Justin Tucks here to make him look good.

Was Tuck really this big of a factor before Spags came along two years ago? I know that the Giants went from the 25th defense to being top 10 in his first year. He's obviously doing something right that someone before him wasnt. And he obviously sets his players up for success as opposed to Slowik. His players swear by him. Meanwhile, in Denver, there are two high draft picks that havent been maximized yet and in part because of poor scheming. Spags may actually get something out of those guys. In addition to Moss' 1st round contract and the use of that pick, you also have DJ who just signed a new contract that ties us to him. Its very questionable whether DJ can play in a 3-4...and that goes with other players. So, while some of us may think theyre garbage, there are costs with these guys and Pats already taking a hit for the coaches that are being let go. So, in a way, its more sensible to go with Spagnuolo, a) because he is the most qualified, and b) he is the most qualified to ensure that some of our underutilized assets under contract dont go to waste.

broncosteven
01-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Was Tuck really this big of a factor before Spags came along two years ago? I know that the Giants went from the 25th defense to being top 10 in his first year. He's obviously doing something right that someone before him wasnt. And he obviously sets his players up for success as opposed to Slowik. His players swear by him. Meanwhile, in Denver, there are two high draft picks that havent been maximized yet and in part because of poor scheming. Spags may actually get something out of those guys. In addition to Moss' 1st round contract and the use of that pick, you also have DJ who just signed a new contract that ties us to him. Its very questionable whether DJ can play in a 3-4...and that goes with other players. So, while some of us may think theyre garbage, there are costs with these guys and Pats already taking a hit for the coaches that are being let go. So, in a way, its more sensible to go with Spagnuolo, a) because he is the most qualified, and b) he is the most qualified to ensure that some of our underutilized assets under contract dont go to waste.

If he comes in as a DC then I would be cool with signing him as a DC.

There was a thread here linking both the NE guy as HC and Spaz as DC. That would be best of both worlds but I doubt it happens.

In no way do I want him in Denver as a HC. I keep reading that Spaz has been poor in interviews. If he comes in and hoses the O I might get my season tickets in 3 years instead of 20.